Shutter Island

8.4

1. RadeM
    Apr 6, 2010
    I just think that this movie is beautiful. No slow spots for its entirety. The story itself and the ending are not the main points of the movie. The main point is emotional journey of the main character and his inner change.
  2. May 8, 2011
    This movie is just plain GOOD. Simple. Let me also be the one to say that these other people who are giving bad reviews, well they mostly do not have a good IQ or any knowledge of psychology. These people were probably just hoping for a scary movie. Because after the trailer, I was expecting the same. But I still enjoyed the movie even though I didn't get scared at all (because it's not aThis movie is just plain GOOD. Simple. Let me also be the one to say that these other people who are giving bad reviews, well they mostly do not have a good IQ or any knowledge of psychology. These people were probably just hoping for a scary movie. Because after the trailer, I was expecting the same. But I still enjoyed the movie even though I didn't get scared at all (because it's not a scary movie) is because I am a college student with a good IQ and understand of psychology and how the brain works. I also know what psychologists do and how they used to treat patients in the old days (hence why the setting is 1954 and not now). You don't even need to KNOW anything about psychology to appreciate this movie. Just a simple curiosity of how the brain works is a good start. I love action movies and scary movies but I also like INTELLIGENT movies and that's what this is. Those of you who say you saw the twist coming, I say bullcrap. Maybe some of y'all did but the twist doesn't take place until there is like 20 or less minutes left in the movie and the whole first half doesn't leave any clues as to what is coming. If you are an intelligent person or a curious person to how we humans function and our mind works, this is a GREAT movie. Great acting and great plot. I love psychology or most of it atleast and like I said, I am a college student who enjoys intelligent movies and not just the ones where there is plenty of violence, comedy, and sex. So those of you who gave it bad reviews, I'm sorry I have to say it but y'all are probably just dumb kids or dumb people in general who don't have a clue how you even function as a human being. Watch the movie and tell me if I'm wrong. Expand
  3. j30
    Oct 7, 2011
    Not Scorsese's best film, but it might be one of DiCaprio's best performances. It's a very good looking film and intense feeling to it all. The music does a really good job in setting a tone, **** work comes to mind. Leo lights up the screen as Teddy Daniels, a US Marshall investigating the disappearance of a patient at this really sketchy hospital. I think multiple viewings of the filmNot Scorsese's best film, but it might be one of DiCaprio's best performances. It's a very good looking film and intense feeling to it all. The music does a really good job in setting a tone, **** work comes to mind. Leo lights up the screen as Teddy Daniels, a US Marshall investigating the disappearance of a patient at this really sketchy hospital. I think multiple viewings of the film gives it justice. Expand
  4. Apr 27, 2014
    Scorsese and DiCaprio were born to work together! Shutter Island is brutal and twisted, yet brilliant right down to the core. From the first shot of the film to the closing credits, error was nowhere to be found. The music encompased the element of fear and excitement, perfectly. The beautiful yet gritty cinematography left you on the edge of your seat for the next shot. The script was oneScorsese and DiCaprio were born to work together! Shutter Island is brutal and twisted, yet brilliant right down to the core. From the first shot of the film to the closing credits, error was nowhere to be found. The music encompased the element of fear and excitement, perfectly. The beautiful yet gritty cinematography left you on the edge of your seat for the next shot. The script was one of the best I have ever seen on screen, leaving you repeating the dialogue in your head from the previous conversation. DiCaprio knocked it out of the park with one of his best acting performances, not to mention everyone else in this movie did really good. The story is unpredictable and once the Scorsese credits hit the sliver screen you will still be questioning what you just saw. In my opinion, its one of the best films ever made. A must see! Expand
  5. May 8, 2014
    This movies is the best Mind Blowing ONE.Love the way of how Leonardo DiCaprio took his acting to another level.Just LOVE IT !!!.Also the rest of them played very well....also the places used for all scenes are SUPERB
  6. TEM
    May 21, 2014
    A great film. DiCaprio/Scorsese deliver again. Suspenseful and never dull. The ending is powerful. The score is an all time favorite of mine. This movie was so great, I read the book and I don't like reading too much.
  7. JohnnyB
    Apr 5, 2010
    Screw what anybody else says... this movie blew my mind, its totally worth watching for the fantastic ending... i heard there was a good twist and whilst watching the movie I tried to think of every single possible thing that could have been the twist.... my oh my was i wrong and it was the craziest ending ever. I havn't met one person out 40 different people who said it was even Screw what anybody else says... this movie blew my mind, its totally worth watching for the fantastic ending... i heard there was a good twist and whilst watching the movie I tried to think of every single possible thing that could have been the twist.... my oh my was i wrong and it was the craziest ending ever. I havn't met one person out 40 different people who said it was even slightly bad.. so I don't understand what all these stupid critics and people giving it a 0 rating are for. They just obviously can't sit through a movie until the end. As for what somebody said about how it doesnt explain the ending... actually yes it does in extreme detail, you are just too stupid to understand it all. Expand
  8. Oct 30, 2015
    Very good film! I absolutely did not see what was coming in the end.When the twist is revealed it all makes sense, the signs were there, yet the viewer's mind chooses to ignore it, just like the protagonist's mind, that's why it's a genius twist. Perfect ending!
    The music is also great, it creates the tone for the movie.
    Some people say that you should watch this movie more than once, I
    The music is also great, it creates the tone for the movie.
    Some people say that you should watch this movie more than once, I would disagree with that statement. If you pay attention, you'll remember all the details in the end and it will combine in your head. Watching it for a second time however, I didn't find it thrilling anymore, because I knew everything and it just wasn't interesting.
    I note that I would not recommend this film to those with weak nerves. Some people I talked to told me they found it very violent, distressing and depressing. Well, it is set in a mental institute for the criminally insane...
  9. Oct 4, 2011
    Martin Scorsese's "Shutter Island" is a thrilling entertainment thanks to great performances from Di Caprio and Kingsley, but the film falls short for its lasting appeal. Good movie overall, but stick with your "American" crime Scorsese.
  10. Sep 14, 2010
    I'll keep it short. This film is one of the best films I have seen recently. So intense, thrilling and it keeps you to the edge of your seat. From prologue to the epilogue it's so perfect. What can you expect more from a director of his caliber.!!!!!
  11. Dec 15, 2010
    One of the most beautiful movies that I have seen. Di Caprio is fantastic in his interpretation, and the plot is very interesting, since at the end...
  12. Aug 13, 2010
    It was great movie, filled with a spectacular cast with spotless perfomances, great production values and a beautiful visual style courtesy of director Martin Scorsese. It has a slow pace, but the mystery of the plot is well worth the wait. Not every will enjoy it, but that's the beauty of it. It's an acquired taste. And thankfully, the taste was delicious. A 9.25/10
  13. Nov 22, 2010
    Set in the 1950's, two interesting stories that unfold while DiCaprio giving an excellent performance on Shutter Island, which is a mental "institution" that has you questioning from the opening credits. Although the movie can get confusing, even though it's story is told really well. Director Martin Scorsese will take you on an epic mystery that you won't forget for a long, long time.
  14. Jan 7, 2011
    The movie uses the knowledge of unethical experiments with mentally ill patients in Nazi Germany, as well as in the Americas during the 1940s, to form a conspiracy theory that will keep you guessing until the end.
  15. Aug 15, 2010
    MUCH better than I thought it would be. I was surprised that the professional critics weren't more on board with it. My favorite element was the music - so brooding, and so delicious. The visuals were also incredible.
  16. Oct 13, 2010
    I guess Leo and Scorsese are just too good together to stop making movies, and this one is no exception. Creepy at times, and it's amazing how elaborate the whole idea was in the end (obviously you have to watch to know).
  17. Oct 9, 2010
    This movie is what made me a moviegoer. I love this movie, beginning to end, brilliant, and that twist, oh my god, did not see that coming. Creepy, intriguing, and Smart. I love it
  18. Sep 24, 2010
    This movie had to be one of the worst films of the year. The most disappointing of all is that it was put together by one of the greatest film directors and an A-list actor. Please make sure you don't waste your time checking this film out!
  19. Aug 26, 2010
    "Shutter Island" is not Scorsese's best, but it's hard not to be turned on by the brilliant visuals and great performances given within it. The entire film is, as Ebert points out, directed at your senses, and as the twists and turns of Shutter Island become more and more intense and noticeable, the tension grows higher and the stakes much larger. The ending isn't great, but it's done so"Shutter Island" is not Scorsese's best, but it's hard not to be turned on by the brilliant visuals and great performances given within it. The entire film is, as Ebert points out, directed at your senses, and as the twists and turns of Shutter Island become more and more intense and noticeable, the tension grows higher and the stakes much larger. The ending isn't great, but it's done so well we barely care to challenge it. Simply a very entertaining and wellmade mystery flick that pays a lot of homages to the 1920's. Expand
  20. Sep 23, 2010
    (Ignore the review I had with a 10. Not sure why the page reverted back to that score)

"Meh" about sums it up. The acting was good, with a decent idea for a story, but the ending was hugely predictable, even from the previews. The length was expected of Scorsese, which actually hurt the movie. It would've been much more bearable if the ending we knew was coming would have arrived 20-30 minutes earlier. Add in a couple of blatantly unrealistic moments such as the scene where the storm's rolling in and tree branches are whipping by at 80 mph, but the people are able to practically jog with no hindrance from the gale blowing around them. Really, Scorsese? You've been in the business that long and didn't even see that flaw?
  21. Sep 21, 2010
    If you were to say that this movie was a major twist, or it was DiCaprio's most frightening picture, I would say that they are spot on. A perfect, sensible ending that makes everything change completely to the way I thought it would've ended. With a wondrous mystery to solve, answered, ONLY if you pay attention. Now, I only sometimes give spoilers, but I will not, would not, could not,If you were to say that this movie was a major twist, or it was DiCaprio's most frightening picture, I would say that they are spot on. A perfect, sensible ending that makes everything change completely to the way I thought it would've ended. With a wondrous mystery to solve, answered, ONLY if you pay attention. Now, I only sometimes give spoilers, but I will not, would not, could not, should not, give away any important feature to this movie. Yeah, a little long- 2:15 or so, but if you start this early, turn up that volume, and put on the closed captioning, and you're a fan of horror/ suspenseful movies, and Leonardo DiCaprio, I would recommend this movie to you. Expand
  22. AdamL
    Feb 28, 2010
    Horrible Cliche Garbage. Even Scorsese couldn't save this hack story. Terrible.
  23. VincentDS
    Mar 1, 2010
    This movie was absolutely ridiculous. I just couldn't believe I had paid for this one to watch. That it was directed by Scorsese. If you're expecting a movie of the same caliber as The Departed please stay away. In fact, just stay away. Go watch Instinct again or something. I predicted the plot, was annoyed by the intense music (that was there for absolutely no reason) This movie was absolutely ridiculous. I just couldn't believe I had paid for this one to watch. That it was directed by Scorsese. If you're expecting a movie of the same caliber as The Departed please stay away. In fact, just stay away. Go watch Instinct again or something. I predicted the plot, was annoyed by the intense music (that was there for absolutely no reason) wasn't pulled in by it. The only justification I can give for sitting through it and not falling asleep was the brilliant performance by DiCaprio. Giving it a 3 since all this movie has over a 1-star movie is excellent acting & good visuals. Expand
  24. Zeus
    Jun 12, 2010
    Boring...predictable...Not worth watching for the last line.
  25. Sep 3, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Thoroughly unimpressed. From the opening scene with the poor attempt at realism via crappy CGI (the sea and sky were so fake), the one dimensional acting and predictable and unrealplot with that awful, awful music direction. Well, that killed it all for me. The fact that those parts are integral to the film means that of course I switched it off half way through (through one of those ridiculous dream sequences) Expand
  26. Sep 18, 2010
    I saw it coming after about 20-30 minutes. So, I had to wait the entire movie to see the ending I already thought was going to happen. Totally lame...
  27. Sep 27, 2010
    I worked it out after 20 minutes and fell asleep 10 minutes to the end and had to rewind to find out it I was right. Scorsese got carried away with the wind machine and an over blown score. Can't believe most of the critics loved it.
  28. PaulZ.
    Mar 5, 2010
    Started great, cinematography beautiful, but poorly paced and B O R I N G. Wanted to leave 2/3rds of the way through.
  29. KimmyV
    Mar 6, 2010
    Don't even waste your precious time on this movie. Boring at best. What was Scorsese thinking? Too bad, since you can usually count on a great film with the featured actors and director.
  30. TonyR
    Feb 20, 2010
    Absolutely Terrible. Too long, too predictable, soundtrack was just ridiculous. Very disappointed.
  31. SonnyC
    May 15, 2010
    To be sure, I love Scorsese and am generally a fan of DiCaprio's, but this movie was disappointing on all levels. It was so riddled with cliche after cliche, and to be honest, I didn't feel this movie was much of a thriller at all. I had the twist figured out half-way through and was just bored waiting for the reveal. And that's another thing...the twist. Do we have to keep To be sure, I love Scorsese and am generally a fan of DiCaprio's, but this movie was disappointing on all levels. It was so riddled with cliche after cliche, and to be honest, I didn't feel this movie was much of a thriller at all. I had the twist figured out half-way through and was just bored waiting for the reveal. And that's another thing...the twist. Do we have to keep seeing movies with that twist? Seriously, Fight Club, the Machinist, Identity, etc etc etc. It's old, it's done. I don't care anymore. Expand
  32. denimb.
    May 20, 2010
    Shutter island is the worst movie of the year. it has a plot like a shit. the movie is boring and stupid.
  33. Orson
    Mar 21, 2010
    Deeply disappointing, becaase WAAAY overploted, and waaaay too long. As many reviewers noted, this length is its chief embarrassment: it allows you to think it through, they fail to explain. I gave up on it between the cemetary scene with dialog sounding like an outake from "A Beautiful Mind" and the meeting with Noyce. Thereafter, it just became annoying. Would that Scorsese learned that Deeply disappointing, becaase WAAAY overploted, and waaaay too long. As many reviewers noted, this length is its chief embarrassment: it allows you to think it through, they fail to explain. I gave up on it between the cemetary scene with dialog sounding like an outake from "A Beautiful Mind" and the meeting with Noyce. Thereafter, it just became annoying. Would that Scorsese learned that there is a reason why Hitchcock - the master of suspense - strove to put ordinary characters into extraordinary situations. That way, we can identify with our protagonist, allowing suspense to build. I shudder to say that this balloon sailed into the ether far too soon. A waste of great talent, writing and set potential. Expand
  34. same
    Jun 10, 2010
    Totally agree with Kyle ( who gives it a 10 ), an awsome film. And to anyone who say's they don't get the end....You must be kidding?? A masterpiece.
  35. DebbieW.
    Jun 14, 2010
    Loved this movie!! I love movies that are unpredictable, and this was as good as it gets. Thank you!!!
  36. jalalA.K
    Jul 26, 2010
    BRILLIANT!
  37. TylerD.
    Jun 12, 2010
    Amazing movie. I was literally sitting on the edge of my seat the entire time. Just incredible.
  38. NathanL.
    Jun 12, 2010
    Shutter Island Review My Letter to To Tony Scott and Michael Phillips, My comment here is in response to your review of Shutter Island. I must start by saying that I strongly respect your (A.O. and Michael) opinions. I have respected you as journalists and film critics for a very long time and still hold your opinions in high regard (as I always will). I strongly agreed with your strong Shutter Island Review My Letter to To Tony Scott and Michael Phillips, My comment here is in response to your review of Shutter Island. I must start by saying that I strongly respect your (A.O. and Michael) opinions. I have respected you as journalists and film critics for a very long time and still hold your opinions in high regard (as I always will). I strongly agreed with your strong feelings for Where the Wild Things Are (my 2nd favorite of last year) and will consistently watch your show as I believe there could not be a better team to take up the mantle for the great Gene Siskel and Roger Ebert (who loved Shutter Island). However, I have such an immense respect for Shutter Island that I cannot let this pass. I actually would argue that this is one of Scorsese's Ten Best (more towards the bottom of that ten to be fair). I also think that it holds a better performance by Leonardo DiCaprio than any other performance last year aside from maybe Waltz and Mo'nique (definately better than the five nominated for best picture). A film, as you know, is a some of it's parts. And this film is, in every part, damn near perfect. It looks phenomenal! The color and lighting in this film help differentiate mood and tone with a clear eloquence while evoking some of the great noir films of old. The musical selections here are dark and over the top when needed but, also subtle and quite beautiful when necessary. The slow repetition of the single piano note with the constant knock is more creepy than any foreboding I've heard in other films of this genre. The production design is of the highest order. It is very important that the island become a character in this film. It is important that it create, with it's sheer look, a belief in the creepy possibilities that lay beneath the heart of Teddy's investigation. It does this and then some. Every rock, every cliff, every building, and every wall feels like it is a living, breathing entity. However, it must also remain distant and dream like. An unbelievble location where things exist that only exist in nightmares. The editing in this movie is so perfect that I was actually offended the second time I watched it and the projectionist botched the reel change. This is a very common thing but, given the perfection of that scene it was kind of infuriating to see it ruined. I am an editor and a filmmaker. I watch 100's of movies a year that feel rushed in the editing process. I can almost picture the guy running through his clips by the numbers. Most films, even good ones, feel either rushed or lazy. Thelma Schoonmaker, on the other hand, creates a pace that determines to be viewed. She knows when to let it simmer and when to move. This is why watching a Scorsese film is always a priviledge. Now, I could go deeply into the perfection of the costume design, sound mixing, or the brilliant foley work that goes on here but, you would be reading all day. I come from a line of broadway actors, music producers, and sound engineers so we live and breath the technical side of things. And I must tell you guys that it is seldom ever done as perfectly as it is here (certainly better than The Hurt Locker which every one is head over heels for right now). However, I understand that this does not work unless the plot and the actors work. And this gentlemen is where Shutter Island shines brightest. Only once every couple of years it seems that there is a film that demands to be seen twice. A film that can actually evoke a whole different set of emotions the second time around. A film that rewards its audience for multiple viewings. This is that film. It plays like a twisting spiral of events where Teddy meets a series of intriguing characters that seem to be pointing him in the direction of a big conspiracy. These scenes are allowed to breath and play out organically through dialogue and then are analyzed by Teddy's nightmares. These scenes are fantastic. They don't feel like never ending expositions. They feel like a game of chess that that in the intial viewing is viewed by the opposing team and the second time around by the home team. And it is a very different feeling each time. The first time I watched this movie, after reading many reviews, I found myself so wrapped up in the investigation that when Teddy discovers the truth I was as unwilling to accept it as he was. I tried to pick apart every piece of logic and throw it to the side. I held this hope all the way to the last frame and I left the theater in love with a film that left me unsatisfied. It made me think about it long after it was over and it haunted my dreams with the thoughts of one of the most horrific events imaginable. What you found to be going a bit to far I found to be exactly what a horror film is meant to do. Now, horror seems to me how violent and disgusting can you be. This movie is neither one of things. It is truly horrific! I am a father (as I know you two are) of two little girls and a boy. So, the events in this film left me very bruised and caused my wife to squirm in her seat for the last half hour. This is what it meant to do. This is what true horror is suppose to do. I applaude its willingness to be horrific without being disgusting. True horror is much harder to find. Anyways, after a day of thinking about this film I had to go back to see it again. And boy am I glad I did. It was like watching a completely different film. I could see how the game was laid out. I understood when little bits of dialogue were used to jar Teddy's memory. I understood what every reference was. Many times in tricky films like this the dialogue appears vague or like they cheated to get you to look the other way. It can sometimes be very insulting to an audience member. This film rewards your attentiveness and your intelligence. When re-viewing it you can feel the punch to the head that various things characters say really are and why he is trying so hard to repress his emotions. And the final revelation on second viewing brought me to tears. That scene by the lake is truly one of the best constructed scenes (in all departments) that I have seen in my life. Also, I realized more clearly that this movie does not answer all of it's secrets until the final words. After DiCaprio calls Ruffalo "Chuck" (revealing to Dr. Sheehan that his patient has regressed and he has failed) he delivers the most important line of the film. He says, "You know. I wonder if it is better to live as a monster or die a good man." In this scene Dr. Sheehan and the audience realize that Teddy is bluffing. He wants to die. His horrors are to much to live with and if he cannot have his alternate reality than he would rather be labotimized. This is pretty powerful stuff for a genre style film noir. Well, that is because this is better than a traditional film noir. It has all of the perfect ingredients to be a classic B "noir" movie but, it's directed by a man who understands how many layers can be put on a cake and still have it taste perfect. I am very impressed with this film. And I am very disappointed in the passive review that it seemed to receive from the two of you. I think that this film deserved a little more respect. So, that is my two cents (for what it's worth) and I hope that I have not offended you at all. I do respect the both of you very much. I just believe that you missed the ball on this "Outstanding" film and I had to call you out. Very Respectfully, Nathan Ligon. Expand
  39. NickG.
    Jun 19, 2010
    One of the best plot twists I've ever seen in a movie, completely caught me off guard. Plus it has a great story. However, the movie does have a few slow moments that prevent me from giving it a 10.
  40. Aug 11, 2010
    "The Departed" it is not, but Martin Scorsese's 'Shutter Island' is a complex film that demands the viewer's utmost attention, and is all the more rewarding because of it.
  41. Nov 30, 2010
    Federal Marshall investigates strange goings on at hospital on island, girl missing, girl returns, Marshall has visions & flashbacks, gets paranoid, weirdness.
    Well played out thriller with a very talented cast, a good script & a story that's gets darker as it goes along & equally disturbing.
    The main problem it does have is that you can see where it's going quite early on so the twist isn't really that shocking by the time it gets to the end.
  42. Sep 23, 2010
    The movie is amazing. Put together DiCaprio's perfect acting with Scorsese's incredible directing, and then throw in a breathtaking, intelligent, complex story and you have Shutter Island. One of the best movies this year, if not the very best.
  43. Oct 1, 2010
    The movie was too great, firstly i kinda got lost in the middle not to mention when all things got "delusional" and it was mind twisting... The end sequence left me at "aw" it could have ended awesome, but anyway big-up 2 martin s.
  44. Mar 9, 2011
    The plot had one too many twists in it. If you actually think about it, it makes no sense. If hes a dangerous mentally ill patient then why would they allow him to leave and then mak him board a ferry back to the hospital as the whole reason they had him there was because hes a dangerous and violent man. The directors probably think they made an intruiging twist in the plot but all theyThe plot had one too many twists in it. If you actually think about it, it makes no sense. If hes a dangerous mentally ill patient then why would they allow him to leave and then mak him board a ferry back to the hospital as the whole reason they had him there was because hes a dangerous and violent man. The directors probably think they made an intruiging twist in the plot but all they did was end up ruining the film. A shame as it could have been great had they not added the last twist. Expand
  45. Aug 26, 2010
    The latest from Martin Scorsese is a twisted noir-thriller that constantly compels you to question everything it gives you and luckily it is filled with enough intrigue and suspense to keep you glued to your seat and guessing until the end. If there is one fault I can ascribe to "Shutter Island" it's over-drama, something that made some of the more serious scenes in the movie almostThe latest from Martin Scorsese is a twisted noir-thriller that constantly compels you to question everything it gives you and luckily it is filled with enough intrigue and suspense to keep you glued to your seat and guessing until the end. If there is one fault I can ascribe to "Shutter Island" it's over-drama, something that made some of the more serious scenes in the movie almost laughably melodramatic (and unfortunately much of the guilt inevitably falls on the overly-bombastic score). Expand
  46. Mar 30, 2011
    There is so much goddamn talent wasted in this pice of **** It's incredible that all this went to **** There was good acting and good editing but that's all you can say about this heaping, steaming, and terrible **** ****
  47. Nov 2, 2010
    A fine film with Leo showing what a great actor he's become. I think the central plot in the story has been a bit overused and I won't go into detail because it would spoil the film but nonetheless it's well done and makes for a very enjoyable movie.
  48. Oct 9, 2010
    What makes this movie so great is the fact that it allows the viewer to work out for themselves what is actually going to happen and with out me revealing too much the result at the end will make the viewer go WOW the line up of actors isn't too bad either . The movie however can only be watched once as once you know the ending the rest is just pointless. definately a rental though noWhat makes this movie so great is the fact that it allows the viewer to work out for themselves what is actually going to happen and with out me revealing too much the result at the end will make the viewer go WOW the line up of actors isn't too bad either . The movie however can only be watched once as once you know the ending the rest is just pointless. definately a rental though no doubt about it. Expand
  49. Oct 14, 2010
    Simply amazing. If you have read the book, you will see that the movie is a near-perfect replication, so fans of Lehane's work will love this. If you don't already know, the story is that of two U.S. Marshals, Teddy Daniels and Chuck Aule, as they head to the Ashecliff Hospital for the Mentally Insane to search for a prisoner who has vanished into thin air. Throughout the story, DanielsSimply amazing. If you have read the book, you will see that the movie is a near-perfect replication, so fans of Lehane's work will love this. If you don't already know, the story is that of two U.S. Marshals, Teddy Daniels and Chuck Aule, as they head to the Ashecliff Hospital for the Mentally Insane to search for a prisoner who has vanished into thin air. Throughout the story, Daniels and Aule are warned and told to leave, and are told of highly-illegal, experimental surgeries that take place at the lighthouse on the island. After a devastating hurricane hits the island, more and more answers come and you'll be able to start piecing together the twisted story. But the twist ending will have you on the edge of your seat, as it will make you re-look at the entire story again to realize the real truth. This is truly one of DiCaprio's best works, as he captures the essence of Teddy Daniels and his rapidly-deteriorating state of mind. If you like mystery movies, are looking for a film with some action, or seek a flick with a good back-story to it, this movie is for you. Expand
  50. Oct 12, 2010
    Amazing cinematography and inspired performances from DiCaprio and Ruffalo, but the film is a little uneven as a whole. I wanted to like it a lot more than I did, but I did think it was really interesting and certainly better than some of Scorsese's other recent films ("The Aviator," "Gangs of New York") but a step down from "The Departed."
  51. Oct 27, 2010
    Shutter Island is a Martin Scorsese reworking of a novel not many will be familiar with, which means the twists and turns will be all the more unexpected. Throughout the course of the film, we are left guessing as to what is actually going on, which characters are we supposed to trust, which ones are actually real and which one is going to ultimately reveal the truth. In fact, few would beShutter Island is a Martin Scorsese reworking of a novel not many will be familiar with, which means the twists and turns will be all the more unexpected. Throughout the course of the film, we are left guessing as to what is actually going on, which characters are we supposed to trust, which ones are actually real and which one is going to ultimately reveal the truth. In fact, few would be able to guess at the convoluted ending the movie adopts, which makes it all the more enthralling to be taken along for the ride. Strong lead from DiCaprio and an excellent supporting cast including the likes of Sir Ben Kingsley, Max Von Sydow and, begrudgingly, rom-com fodder Mark Ruffalo make this a well thought out, well acted adaptation.

*Best Watched - In a dark room with plenty of patience that will ultimately be rewarded*
  52. Nov 30, 2010
    very shocking and good movie. I really liked this movie. This movie looked really bored at the beginning. I wasn't going watch this movie until my friends told me it was a really good one. One of my fav movie of the year. This movie was very unexpected. One of the best thriller I seen in a long time
  53. Dec 1, 2010
    This mind bending storyline that makes you wonder, what the hell is going on?? That's the way to win the crowd in my mind. This movie had the jump factors and the eerie music to make people look behind then and turn the lights on while watching.
  54. Jan 13, 2011
    I predicted the big plot twist to this movie in the trailer months before its release. THE TRAILER. when the narrator says, "you have to find the missing patient" while a weak and disturbed looking Leonardo DiCaprio stares into a mirror looking as though to question his identity IT IS OVER. One of the most overrated films in the history of cinema. Leo has acted better before (but hesI predicted the big plot twist to this movie in the trailer months before its release. THE TRAILER. when the narrator says, "you have to find the missing patient" while a weak and disturbed looking Leonardo DiCaprio stares into a mirror looking as though to question his identity IT IS OVER. One of the most overrated films in the history of cinema. Leo has acted better before (but hes okay). Scorsese has directed better before (but hes okay) everything about this movie is completely average. except for the abysmal plot. By the end of the film I was saying lines before the actors were, to which the guy behind me said "Stop spoiling it I haven't seen it yet", to which I replied "NEITHER HAVE I!!!" recommended only to brainless mainstream leeches with no appreciation for creativity, originality, or storytelling. Expand
  55. Apr 2, 2012
    This movie was going fine until it took a turn in the stupid direction. The twist was horrible. Why can't there ever be a semi reasonable mystery that didn't end with the person just being crazy. Weird, confusing, and just plain bad.
  56. EdG
    Feb 22, 2010
    Dear Roger C: "penultimate" means "second to last," and as far as I know Leonardo DiCaprio is not the second to last actor of his generation. Dear AgnosticConservative W.: You appear to be fixated on "liberals." This movie had nothing whatsoever to do with politics. G'night!
  57. JamesH
    Jun 10, 2010
    The cinematography is very impressive and the supporting cast is exceptionally good. Patricia Clarkson and Mark Ruffalo stand out. Ben Kingsley
  58. ParkerJ
    Jun 9, 2010
    A wonderful movie. Filmed with the passion of the best old horror films, spectacular acting and cinematography, it never bores. The plot gyrations keep you guessing until the end.
  59. Kyle
    Feb 20, 2010
    Incredible movie. Warning: must have a decent IQ to enjoy. I hate to say it, but these negative reviews are all superficial and do not do such a deep movie just.
  60. DanF.
    Feb 20, 2010
    The movie is predictable until the last five minutes. But the film directing and acting make it easily watchable.
  61. JamesS.
    Feb 20, 2010
    The acting was great, but the story really lost momentum towards the middle. Scenes that were supposed to be creepy were numerous, and the CG was sub-par. Put this one on the shelf next to the other psy-thrillers with textbook twists
  62. Sandy
    Mar 13, 2010
    Some nice visual effects couldn't hide the fact that the twist was evident from within a few minutes of the start, and was then a long slow slog to get to the end. I nodded off, but woke just in time for the denouement.
  63. OsasO.
    Mar 14, 2010
    To all those people giving this movie a 5 or below, stick with movies like the Green Zone or the 300. This movie was smart beyond belief. Scorsese creates a world that borders on the blurry lines of reality. Those who predicted the ending probably also knew Bruce Willis was a ghost within the first 9 minutes of The 6th Sense...BS. See this movie if you are willing to think. Leo is worth To all those people giving this movie a 5 or below, stick with movies like the Green Zone or the 300. This movie was smart beyond belief. Scorsese creates a world that borders on the blurry lines of reality. Those who predicted the ending probably also knew Bruce Willis was a ghost within the first 9 minutes of The 6th Sense...BS. See this movie if you are willing to think. Leo is worth the ticket alone. Expand
  64. WilliamA
    Mar 1, 2010
    Well-directed and acted, but the big "twist" is entirely unbelievable. The film would have been much better without it - and the fact that the twist takes up quite a bit of screen time to explain only makes it more unberable - not to mention that most of everything you've seen up through then is rendered a waste of the viewer's time in the process.
  65. SpikeK.
    Mar 7, 2010
    The movie looked beautiful, and was expertly done, and Dicaprio was excellent, but I was somewhat bored and thought the ending was VERY disappointing.
  66. Mikyla
    Apr 2, 2010
    I would not change anything. Even the music that did not match up, it was deliberate to match with the misguided perspective of Leo. With that being said, I'm surprised some people did not entirely understand the ending. As a person who has seen the village and deemed it to be the worst movie I have ever seen, this movie went a little bit deeper vs the superficial uselessness that I I would not change anything. Even the music that did not match up, it was deliberate to match with the misguided perspective of Leo. With that being said, I'm surprised some people did not entirely understand the ending. As a person who has seen the village and deemed it to be the worst movie I have ever seen, this movie went a little bit deeper vs the superficial uselessness that I thought the village had.. -HUGE SPOILER TO THOSE WHO DID NOT GET IT.- It was heart wrenching to see Leo surrender himself, although 'cured' of his delusions to the lobotomy because he was so haunted by the horror of what he had done and what his wife had done. In the end, he chose to die a hero. To me, this made the movie an utter tragedy. You must understand that the confusion, and plot lines that -didn't quite add up- were deliberate, as Leo was the entire time, quite mad and this was played through his perspective. I also wanted to give credit like another reviewer had about the ability of this movie to get into your head, disturb you so deeply and make you feel insane alongside Leo. With that being said, I will not see this movie again by choice. Expand
  67. JoeM
    Apr 2, 2010
    If avatar is the best action movie, this one is the best thriller movie !!! Leo is awesome in this movie!
  68. EdwardD
    Feb 19, 2010
    Wicked good movie, with an amazing twist. This is one of the many movies you cannot trust the critics with. A must see for any thrill fan.
  69. JohnM
    Feb 19, 2010
    Excellent movie. Not for everybody.
  70. JaredC.
    Feb 21, 2010
    Most people will not be satisfied with the result of this picture, but the ending will make you think. Movies that make you think, are good ones. Movies that are good stick with you. Shutter Island is one of them.
  71. AlexN.
    Feb 20, 2010
    Although I simply guessed what the twist was going to be at the end, it was a very well-made movie in my eyes. I love movies where you are stuck in the mind and perspective of the character instead of knowing that they are on the wrong track. Some complain that some of the scenes felt "useless", but I think of those as how you would actually see them as the main character: you have no Although I simply guessed what the twist was going to be at the end, it was a very well-made movie in my eyes. I love movies where you are stuck in the mind and perspective of the character instead of knowing that they are on the wrong track. Some complain that some of the scenes felt "useless", but I think of those as how you would actually see them as the main character: you have no idea what is going on, so you are trying to piece together a puzzle with all of the information that you have at your disposal. It's very, very reminiscent of The Shining to me, and also has hints of a modern classic spread throughout. I'll be buying this one. Expand
  72. PeteW.
    Feb 20, 2010
    If this weren't a Scorcese movie it would be easily recognized as the uninspiring Showtime Original late-nite thriller it is. I'll give it a few points for atmosphere and strong performances from Ben Kingsley and Mark Ruffalo, but there's just not much here you won't felt like you've seen done better elsewhere. DiCaprio is wildly miscast as the hard-drinking, If this weren't a Scorcese movie it would be easily recognized as the uninspiring Showtime Original late-nite thriller it is. I'll give it a few points for atmosphere and strong performances from Ben Kingsley and Mark Ruffalo, but there's just not much here you won't felt like you've seen done better elsewhere. DiCaprio is wildly miscast as the hard-drinking, traumatized, hallucination-prone investigator, as his boyish looks and comically thin beard stubble work against his flailing attempts to seem edgy and threatening. Save your money and rent Memento or Dark City instead. Expand
  73. DougL
    Feb 21, 2010
    It was a good movie that definately keeps your attention and delivers great performances. However, I was expecting more from Scorsese. Bottom line is thats its certainly not oscar worthy like pretty much every other film he has directed.
  74. AlejandroC.
    Feb 20, 2010
    If you don't like it......you're probably over-critical or squeamish....this was great, creepy fun from one of the masters of film.
    So boring. Terrible expository scenes. A miserable filmgoing experience
  76. ChristianD.
    Feb 20, 2010
    It was pretty good. I expected a little better from Scorsese, but this was still a solid movie from him.
  77. ScottN.
    Feb 21, 2010
    Interesting premise, and an excellent performance turned in by DiCaprio as always, as well as the other cast members, but the movie runs about 30 minutes too long to get to a plot twist that we've seen all too many times. The entire "everything you just witnessed was all in the madman's mind after all" idea was pretty cool the first 20 times I saw it. Minus a couple points for Interesting premise, and an excellent performance turned in by DiCaprio as always, as well as the other cast members, but the movie runs about 30 minutes too long to get to a plot twist that we've seen all too many times. The entire "everything you just witnessed was all in the madman's mind after all" idea was pretty cool the first 20 times I saw it. Minus a couple points for originality, or lack thereof, and minus a few more for unnecessarily dragging the movie out to a 2+ hour screen time. Not the worst movie I've seen this year, but I don't want to watch it again. Expand
  78. TerryF.
    Feb 20, 2010
    It redeemed itself quite well in the final 30 minutes but really, who wants to watch 105 minutes of crap just for 30 minutes of entertainment?
  79. Cindyc.
    Feb 20, 2010
    Terrific acting and a great plot that keeps you guessing until the very end. Ignore the naysayers and see this film!
  80. Kay
    Feb 20, 2010
    Loved the acting and the script. Great movie, makes you think and walk away talking about it.
  81. NickP.
    Feb 22, 2010
    Fantastic movie with interesting characters, locations, and dialog. If you like Hitchcock, you'll enjoy this thriller.
  82. SusieB
    Feb 23, 2010
    AgnosticEtc. Wow, you sure have been drinking that KoolAid!! It's just a movie. That said, it's a pretty good Hitchcockian mystery and if you are willing to suspend disbelief, you'll have a great time. It's a bit too long, but the ending is worth it. Enjoy!
  83. DominicM
    Feb 23, 2010
    Did anyone else feel as if you were standing on a soundstage everytime one of the characters was: on a boat, in a car, or dangling from a cliff. The movie looked cheesy. Biggest compliant though, nice dialogue change at the end of the film....ruined it. Read the book.
  84. RichardE.
    Feb 20, 2010
    Well done movie, but if I understood the ending correctly, it's like THE CABINET OF DR. CALIGARI in the release version with a frame that gives us a sweet old authority figure and everything pretty much right with the world. ***SPOLER HERE: It may be that DiCaprio's character is going to be lobotomized, but even if that is the sad case
  85. SandyC.
    Mar 14, 2010
    A great cast wasted: Max, Ben and Mark were great!. If the twist was the point, I got it in five. If the ride was the point, it was too long: I nodded off, though woke in time to have my theory confirmed! (Roger C - what do you mean 'penultimate' actor? In what way is he 'the last but one'?)
  86. TomD
    Mar 14, 2010
    The worst sort of twist endings are the ones that sacrifice continuity for shock appeal, and unfortunately that is the case here... The twist in Shutter Island renders everything that came before utterly implausible, and worse, mostly irrelevant. I wouldn't say it was a total waste of time but in the end it seemed rather cheap and shallow, despite the holocaust imagery and bloated The worst sort of twist endings are the ones that sacrifice continuity for shock appeal, and unfortunately that is the case here... The twist in Shutter Island renders everything that came before utterly implausible, and worse, mostly irrelevant. I wouldn't say it was a total waste of time but in the end it seemed rather cheap and shallow, despite the holocaust imagery and bloated running time. Expand
  87. Bill
    Mar 29, 2010
    I wanted my money back half way through this movie. Love Scorsese and Leo but question their reason for doing this loser of a film.
  88. KennyM
    Mar 30, 2010
    Pretty good. definitely worth watching. except i like the story a lot more before the twist. so much careful development and plot for nothing. throw it all out for a cheap trick. still good film though.
  89. FrankO.
    Mar 4, 2010
    Although slow moving in the beginning and 30 minutes too long, the ending makes up for these deficiencies. DeCaprio and Kingsley were quite good. I recommend it but you have to have patience to get through it.
  90. Dave
    Mar 4, 2010
    At times you wondered where the story was going, and definitely questioning yourself on what is actually happening. This movie pays off in the end. The entire movie leads it to it's last 45 mins or so. A very nice noir-thriller from Scorsese. Though not his greatest, it's still an impressive film to add to his immaculate career.
  91. KyleP.
    Mar 5, 2010
    It was a great ride - if you let yourself go along for the ride. I guess I can see what people are saying when they claim they "saw the twist", but frankly there are many pieces that you don't get till the very end. Overall, with its 50's feel and intense music, this was a very good film.
  92. MichaelF.
    Mar 5, 2010
    Very intriguing as to trying to figure out "who is what?' Go see it and THEN read about it.
  93. NicoleC
    Mar 7, 2010
    This movie broke my heart. It was a true piece of cinematic art. It was visually beautiful and intellectually stimulating but sad, sad, sad. I still loved it though. Bravo Leo and Scorsese. You are genuine masters of your craft.
  94. JasonL
    Apr 15, 2010
    I was bored by this film. The dialogue sounded unnatural and the plot seem ridiculous until it reached the final moments when they revealed the 'twist' to the story. By then, i had almost wanted to leave the room.
  95. greg
    Apr 16, 2010
    Walked out of the movie after 35min, never done that before. it felt like the director was taking all elements of horror and just throwing them together, stuck in the holocaust for good measure too. crap movie.
  96. MrWolf
    Jun 5, 2010
    [***Spoilers***] do not read if you are going to watch this*** This was a pathetic movie. The ending is SOO telegraphed its unreal. The movie opens with him going on and on about hating water for some reason - then you find out that they are looking for someone who drowned her kids. hmmm. the "brand new partner" thing. When they interview the patients and the patients make a point of [***Spoilers***] do not read if you are going to watch this*** This was a pathetic movie. The ending is SOO telegraphed its unreal. The movie opens with him going on and on about hating water for some reason - then you find out that they are looking for someone who drowned her kids. hmmm. the "brand new partner" thing. When they interview the patients and the patients make a point of glancing over at the "new partner" when the missing doctor is mentioned. and this is in the first half. The last half is a long plodding walk to be disappointed. Expand
  97. joeblow
    Jun 8, 2010
    It was alright. Was expecting something entirely creepy, suspenseful and, you know...not boring. It wasn't bad though. Just something i wasn't expecting.
  98. JasonH
    Jun 8, 2010
    Awful movie. Now it clearly doesn't deserve a 0, but this was the worst POS movie by a good director and a good crew I've ever seen. There was only one twist in the plot, and it was hugely predictable. I came in expecting to be scared, or at least thrilled, none of which happened. This movie sucked.
  99. MiKE
    Jun 9, 2010
    Figured out the plot 1/4 into the movie, but I still enjoyed it. The movie was very well directed, kept my intrest. Overall better then I expected it to be.
  100. LoraineH
    Jun 9, 2010
    A beautiful projected film with inspiring characters and a plot worth sticking to your mind for the next couple weeks! Great acting by Leonardo DcaPrio, made my night for sure sent chills down my spine and loved it for it!

1. The ending is powerful..., but Shutter Island is a long slog.
  2. It's a pleasure to experience Scorsese as a circus master. One just hopes he doesn't continue in this vein.
  3. Reviewed by: Todd McCarthy
    Even when it's clear Scorsese has decided to employ fakery and allow it to be obvious, it's done with elegance and beauty.