Siddhartha (re-release)

8.3

1. ThomasH.
    Oct 2, 2007
    I am so happy this was re-released. The acting is stunning and the music waltzes you through the scenes as if by magic. Hermann Hesse would be proud.
  2. Jonny5
    May 20, 2003
    I love the movie, its sad and entertaining.
  3. CharlesW.
    Jan 3, 2003
    An amazing piece of work, showing the great richness of the indian culture.
  4. RobertF.
    Oct 7, 2003
    The Greatest Movie Ever Made, Bar None
  5. KeithY.
    Aug 12, 2004
    A must for anyone who has read the book, just to see how close your vision of Sid and his country resembled what's portrayed in the movie. I imagined him to be much younger, but then again, the movie developed alot faster than the book. Kamala was everything I imagined, if not more. Final Note: Watch the Interview with Rooks...this man is an obvious genius, or at least a very A must for anyone who has read the book, just to see how close your vision of Sid and his country resembled what's portrayed in the movie. I imagined him to be much younger, but then again, the movie developed alot faster than the book. Kamala was everything I imagined, if not more. Final Note: Watch the Interview with Rooks...this man is an obvious genius, or at least a very intelligent, worldly kinda fellow. Expand
  6. ThuptenC.
    Nov 18, 2003
    Why on gods earth can't I find the music score for Siddhartha on CD instead of mindless blockbuster movie music you see a dime a dozen in music stores.

Some aspects of Siddhartha seem terribly dated: the '60s-ish nude sequences, the wispy music, the big-eyed earnest acting. But it is a lushly beautiful film. Shooting largely in natural light, Nykvist creates a poetry more beautiful than Hesse's prose and as profound as the author's message.
    Apologies to Conrad Rooks, but the only reason his 1972 film, Siddhartha, is getting a 30th-anniversary rerelease is the appeal of seeing Sven Nykvist's amazing cinematography restored to its full splendor.
    Rooks has chosen to give this a surface elegance which sometimes robs the film of its needed earthiness and sensuality in its love angle and more robustness in detailing the vagaries of social aspects and values at the time.