Sideways

6.6

1. RodG.
    Feb 21, 2007
    I'm not too retarded that I didn't get the humor. It just wasn't a great movie. It was okay but not one to own. I'm sure people who are uptight and think they are upper class citizens found this movie delightful. Good for you.
  2. Dan
    Jan 6, 2008
    I really have no idea why this is tauted so highly by critics. I went into this movie with extremely high expectations as I am a fan of both Paul Giamatti and Thomas Haden Church for their past work. There's something about this movie that just leaves a terrible taste in my mouth. Maybe it's that both Giamatti and Church's character weren't even likable in the least I really have no idea why this is tauted so highly by critics. I went into this movie with extremely high expectations as I am a fan of both Paul Giamatti and Thomas Haden Church for their past work. There's something about this movie that just leaves a terrible taste in my mouth. Maybe it's that both Giamatti and Church's character weren't even likable in the least with both coming off as obnoxious and self-centered. It could be that this movie is just drag out boring with uninteresting situations and dialogue throughout. I know it's in that pseudo category DRAMEDY, but seriously you'll find more laughs in Schindler's' List than this steaming pile. Please don't waste your precious 2 hours on this film and instead go have your pet spade or neutered. Expand
  3. SusanL.
    Mar 1, 2008
    Rated above "Apocalypse Now"? Come on!
  4. Mack
    Jan 6, 2009
    Don't critics give points for movies being enjoyable to watch? This one is not particularly funny or interesting. Seems like a real bandwagon movie.
  5. AlecE.
    Mar 14, 2008
    A clear case of hype elevating a movie to a status it doesnt deserve. Nothing special.
  6. Damir
    Apr 25, 2008
    ha ha the critics gave this a 94? tieing it with lord of the rings the return of the king? yeah right.. this is a good movie, well put together, kinda funny, but its not my style.. and i don't agree with giving it a perfect score. id say its more of a 3/4 film just missing a couple of strong marks to be accountable as a masterpiece. sideways is seriously not that great.. i wouldnt ha ha the critics gave this a 94? tieing it with lord of the rings the return of the king? yeah right.. this is a good movie, well put together, kinda funny, but its not my style.. and i don't agree with giving it a perfect score. id say its more of a 3/4 film just missing a couple of strong marks to be accountable as a masterpiece. sideways is seriously not that great.. i wouldnt recommend it, but i'm glad i saw it. Expand
  7. JoaquinG
    Sep 6, 2009
    This movie is not funny at all. It's terribly slow and quite boring. Huge disappointment.
  8. MichaelL.
    Mar 14, 2006
    Warning: You may believe you know everything there is to know about wine immediately after this movie. Wine. Why not beer? The main character is also a complete douchebag who steals money from his mom and cannot deal with himself. If you dislike your life so much as to feel better from looking at this guy, then you might like this movie. Like most beta-male oriented movies, it focuses on Warning: You may believe you know everything there is to know about wine immediately after this movie. Wine. Why not beer? The main character is also a complete douchebag who steals money from his mom and cannot deal with himself. If you dislike your life so much as to feel better from looking at this guy, then you might like this movie. Like most beta-male oriented movies, it focuses on the "small victories" of the main character. It also did not impress me with its taste in wine. What's wrong with merlot? Expand
  9. tonys.
    May 10, 2006
    Sweet movie, but highly overrated. Virginia Madsen was awesome.
  10. BrianG.
    Jan 30, 2005
    With the exception of Giamatti's performance, I was disappointed. I felt no empathy towards any of the characters and definitely no sympathy.
  11. DavidR.
    Jan 30, 2005
    Not to say that this is a bad movie by any means, but it's basically a middle-aged, more down n out version of "Swingers". The plot is very formulaic. There were some good moments but all and all it's definitely over-hyped. Maybe all the critcs are divorced 40-somethings who can relate.
  12. LanieJ.
    Feb 14, 2005
    Unevenly spiteful then compassionate, which often makes a moving film. However, the 3 of the 4 main characters are unredeemable which, for me, made the movie the same.
  13. AlanD
    Feb 5, 2005
    A slightly amusing movie at the time that has grown less substantial each time I think of it. I just love the breathless accusations here and elsewhere that if you don't think this was a brilliant movie, you must be a phillistine. "Look, it's about wine--it must be the antidote to Shark Tale!" Fact is, there aren't enough bad "wine is like life" cliches in the world to keep A slightly amusing movie at the time that has grown less substantial each time I think of it. I just love the breathless accusations here and elsewhere that if you don't think this was a brilliant movie, you must be a phillistine. "Look, it's about wine--it must be the antidote to Shark Tale!" Fact is, there aren't enough bad "wine is like life" cliches in the world to keep this movie afloat. And how about the "unpublished yet brilliant first novel" cliche? Anyway, if you're in the "NPR wine tasting benefit for the homeless" set, or aspire to it, this is the movie for you! Expand
  14. GraemeH.
    Mar 19, 2005
    I'm surprised that the critics rated it so highly. I did enjoy the movie but it's certainly not worth the ratings it has been given.
  15. Devyman
    May 18, 2005
    I truley didnt see what all the hype was about. I was a kind of dull storyline.
  16. NickM
    May 9, 2005
    Not bad, but largely overrated.
  17. christianb.
    Jun 30, 2005
    What a let down. The characters were so totally lacking in appeal I didn't care what happened to them. The "wine as metephor for life" was laid on so thick that not a single laugh escaped.
  18. ChristopherC.
    Nov 17, 2004
    This movie is the kind of sophmoric humor found in harold and kumar go to white castle, except substitue wine and drunkeness instead of weed and burgers. the only saving grace is that we are spared the happily ever after moment, leaving at least one thing to the imagination.
  19. VictoriaS.
    Jan 24, 2005
    The rating is virtually purely for the acting, particularly by Paul Giamatti, who can basically do no wrong. Aside from that, I have absolutely no idea what all the fuss is about. This is a very "little" movie about fairly unpleasant people making the unsurprising -- and pat -- midlife discovery that they are the authors of their own misery. Gee! Gosh!
  20. RP
    Jan 27, 2005
    Crirics overrate this movie. 2 main characters are louts. Story line didn't engage me.
  21. JBradley
    Feb 1, 2005
    Overrated. Overrated. Overrated. When M-critic gives a score greater than 90, I think that this must be a film that must not be missed. It was interesting and funny at times, but I would put it at the bottom of the Netflix quene. The critics should put down the wine and switch to coffee.
  22. JeffS.
    Feb 3, 2005
    To me it was like Seinfeld without more awkward humor. More embarrassing than fun. I liked none of the characters. The two main characters were self absorbed See,ed to feel that life had short changed them. To me it seemed they got what they deserved. They seemed to understand everyihing so much better than the rest of us. But they did not. Well acted but I have seen these people in real To me it was like Seinfeld without more awkward humor. More embarrassing than fun. I liked none of the characters. The two main characters were self absorbed See,ed to feel that life had short changed them. To me it seemed they got what they deserved. They seemed to understand everyihing so much better than the rest of us. But they did not. Well acted but I have seen these people in real life and I stay away from them. Expand
  23. mike
    Feb 4, 2005
    I found this movie enjoyable at times, but highly overrated judging by the ratings on this site. The wine talk just had the movie lagging.
  24. BeauW.
    Mar 28, 2005
    I am convinced that this movie is getting great reviews because it's the movie people want to be heard saying they loved. This movie was mildly entertaining and I laughed in parts but I also found myself as equally bored in just as many scenes.
  25. MiraK
    Mar 4, 2005
    One of the most important elements in a film is likable characters, or at least someone you would know in real life. I think the filmakers tried to do the later, as neither Miles nor Jack seemed like the kind of person one would enjoy to spend their company with. Let's face it: Miles was annoying, drunk, and arrogent while Jack spent the entire film trying to get laid. While, I may One of the most important elements in a film is likable characters, or at least someone you would know in real life. I think the filmakers tried to do the later, as neither Miles nor Jack seemed like the kind of person one would enjoy to spend their company with. Let's face it: Miles was annoying, drunk, and arrogent while Jack spent the entire film trying to get laid. While, I may admit, these are not completely unrealistic characters, they were exaggerated throughout the film to make it 'more interesting'. The result was a waste of time and money. At times it was amusing, but most of the film was down right tedious. Expand
  26. Mike
    Apr 16, 2005
    Its not a bad movie, But its been over hyped by the critics. I did enjoy watching the movie, But would I watch it again? No.
  27. AlH
    Apr 9, 2005
    While this was an amusing movie that held my attention, it is also easily the most overrated movie of the year and one of the most overrated movies ever. The many implausibilities in the script, slapstick diversions, and predictibility of the story, makes this an ordinary film. The real question is how so many good critics wildly overpraised this movie.
  28. CK
    May 19, 2005
    A comedy? I don't think I laughed once. Somewhat pleasant to watch but no more than that.
  29. SSloan
    May 28, 2005
    A great movie for misunderstood pseudo-intellectuals with little or no personality. Critics love it for this reason. Also, if you stopped drinking Merlot becuase of this movie - you should be sterilized.
  30. BruiNation
    May 9, 2005
    Way overrated by the critics, and underappreciated here, Sideways is both brilliant and vulgar at the same time. Thomas Haden Church epitomizes everything I hate about straight guys and well deserves his Oscar nomination. Paul Giamatti's "Miles", however, really began to bore me...what an annoying character. A whining, self-important lonely depressed alcoholic snob. I appreciated the Way overrated by the critics, and underappreciated here, Sideways is both brilliant and vulgar at the same time. Thomas Haden Church epitomizes everything I hate about straight guys and well deserves his Oscar nomination. Paul Giamatti's "Miles", however, really began to bore me...what an annoying character. A whining, self-important lonely depressed alcoholic snob. I appreciated the complexity of the characters, but overall, Sideways is tastelessness defined. The critics and the Academy should be ashamed. The Best Picture of the Year was Ray...hands down. Expand
  31. DamienA.
    Jun 17, 2005
    It's a reasonable film that stands out because so many films fail to even reach this level of acceptability. I like to save 10 out of 10s for the day I might actually need them. (it's been a while)
  32. MichaelM.
    Jun 28, 2005
    Quality movie? Yes. Well acted movie? Yes, except that Church's role of "jerk" could have been played to a "T" by many actors, so I was surprised at his Oscar nomination. Funny movie? Hardly! In all, Sideways is a movie put together well but ultimately depressing and lacking in connectivity to this viewer. I cannot recommend it.
  33. GeraldN.
    Jun 4, 2005
    How on earth did THIS movie get all these high reviews? The reviewers themselves were obviously high. This movie is average at best.
  34. ShawnO.
    Aug 3, 2005
    This movie is one of the most pretentious and possibly the most overrated film I've ever seen in my life. As good of a job as Giamatti and Haden Church do acting in this film (they are both brilliant talents and I am particularly pleased that Haden-Church is finally getting some recognition), the characters they portray aren't particularly likeable and this movie isn't This movie is one of the most pretentious and possibly the most overrated film I've ever seen in my life. As good of a job as Giamatti and Haden Church do acting in this film (they are both brilliant talents and I am particularly pleased that Haden-Church is finally getting some recognition), the characters they portray aren't particularly likeable and this movie isn't particularly funny. I don't what everyone finds so clever and humorous about this film, personally. The 2 times I laughed involved Giamatti's character throwing a wine all over himself and going crazy and the end when they wreck the car. This movie and its characters are not profound, they are depressing and a little offensive. Call me an old fuddy-duddy (I'm 29), but I don't think there's anything cool or admirable about a guy looking to get tail during his last week of 'freedom' before he gets married! This movie is OK, it ain't great and it's certainly not as good as the critics have made it out to be. The only way this film could have been improved is if we actually got to see Sandr Oh naked. Expand
  35. JohnA
    Jan 6, 2006
    This film reminded me of classic literature that critics claim is not to be missed. Sure, if you are looking to study character development and then talk about it in your film club later. I was simply looking to be entertained. Sideways provided some very funny moments but was far more work and not enough entertainment.
  36. JonathanF.
    Dec 14, 2004
    I don't understand the universal praise this film is receiving from critics. The acting was good, but as a movie it doesn't bring anything new to the table. The plot (if you could call it that) was slow and had no climax. I wanted to go home by Wednesday.
  37. JohnC.
    Oct 31, 2004
    It's not that funny!
  38. RichardG.
    Jan 28, 2005
    Critically this movie will get high marks, but I dont think that the movie is Popularly the best. The acting is average, and the humor is somewhat poor, this is what drags down the popularity of the move. Now Critically, the movie is original, the characters are neither good nor bad and the story ends in obscurity, that is what is critically acclaimed. No big Fuss here.
  39. KarenW.
    Feb 10, 2005
    Way overrated by critics. Some funny moments. One instance of inspired dialogue. Could have been great, but missed the mark.
  40. JorgeS.
    Feb 12, 2005
    Excruciatingly overrated, but stil pretty good.
  41. JulieM.
    Feb 19, 2005
    This was one of those movies where all of the characters used the protagonist's name in every sentence. Our "hero" was pathetic, no strengths, his struggle was cliche, and everyone else's reaction to him not at all believable. The comedy finally kicked in at the end, although it was overly crude. Jokes during first 2/3 of movie were predictable and not funny.
  42. Arie
    Apr 6, 2005
    Overrated by critics. Too long and boring.
  43. MatthewA.
    May 12, 2005
    Kind of dull film. all though i did enjoy it in certain parts the main characters mean spirited loathing and all things that happen to him and his friend are kind of funny but there was alot to which this adventure comedy drama left to the imagination for you to enjoy sitting through.
  44. NathanS.
    May 15, 2005
    OK drama.. Not a comedy.
  45. LevisO.
    May 18, 2005
    Unbelievably overrated but I liked some of it.
  46. toma
    May 21, 2005
    Wow... that many 100 point scores, must have all been wine lovers. not from me though. this movie is supposed to be a comedy? as previously said, i also didn't have a single laugh throughout the movie. it's a movie about a wine tasting trip. how interesting could it be. quite boring actually, no plot and characters that you don't care for. i want my two hours back.
  47. bobv2.0
    May 2, 2005
    I couldn't wait for this to come out - the rave reviews, the hype, the letdown. I sat there wanting to love this movie but instead was thinking, I've seen this movie a million times. Boy meets girl etc. The only thing different, maybe, is the backdrop of wine country. It wasn't a total waste of a couple of hours of my life but I sure didn't find myself thinking about I couldn't wait for this to come out - the rave reviews, the hype, the letdown. I sat there wanting to love this movie but instead was thinking, I've seen this movie a million times. Boy meets girl etc. The only thing different, maybe, is the backdrop of wine country. It wasn't a total waste of a couple of hours of my life but I sure didn't find myself thinking about it days later, the true measure, in my opinion, of a great movie. 94 on metacritic? Go figure. Expand
  48. GregC.
    Jul 18, 2006
    Wore thin after a while. I stopped caring about Giamatti's character when he ripped off his Mom's money.
  49. FilipeM
    Oct 19, 2009
    Actually, it's a 6.5! Totally overrated by critics, if I'd seen the movie without reading the reviews, I'd give it a 8, but I got very disappointed for a 94 metarating. The type of movie that doesn't have funny jokes, but funny storylines. If you want to watch because you're depressed, you'll just get bored to hell.
  50. Fantasy
    Nov 10, 2004
    Bittersweet mid-life crisis for two aging has beens. One is a never-was aspiring actor, and the other a boring introverted wanabe writer - teacher who loves to get drunk on fine wine. The film has its moments, but is way overrated for what it truly is. Mildly entertaining, but evaporates and turns flat as soon as you leave the theater.
  51. DougK.
    Nov 24, 2004
    You cannot say that wine is "quaffable but by no means transcendent" and not be kind of an asshole. Wow, that was a pretty harsh rule I just created, but I think it is appropriate for this movie if not in real life. I try real hard never to say that myself. Ultimately, I don't care about the main character because I don't like him (he's not the likeable loser of American You cannot say that wine is "quaffable but by no means transcendent" and not be kind of an asshole. Wow, that was a pretty harsh rule I just created, but I think it is appropriate for this movie if not in real life. I try real hard never to say that myself. Ultimately, I don't care about the main character because I don't like him (he's not the likeable loser of American Splendor). He's self absorbed like a smart and sensitive teenager, but for a full-grown man, it seems he missed the point on some life lessons. But he's not a real guy and I am have to be hard on this movie because I don?t think the critics are getting it right. Ultimately it's a better than average film, my score above has been adjusted downward to compensate for all the overly positive "professional critic" reviews. Expand
  52. RoloT.
    Nov 8, 2004
    I was mildly entertained by this movie, but don't believe the hype. This movie is vastly OVERRATED!
  53. JayW.
    Nov 9, 2004
    At times amusing, at (most) other times ponderous. How these two losers came together who is to say? IMMO extremely over-hyped, but then again who am I to say?
  54. GottfriedS.
    Dec 14, 2004
    It is very hard for me to understand the universal critical acclaim that this film has garnered. The performances are generally appealing, but I was never convinced by the story -- nor even by the idea that these two men could be lifelong best friends. All in all, I found it hard to care about the two main characters and their conveniently manufactured "adventures," and consequently I was It is very hard for me to understand the universal critical acclaim that this film has garnered. The performances are generally appealing, but I was never convinced by the story -- nor even by the idea that these two men could be lifelong best friends. All in all, I found it hard to care about the two main characters and their conveniently manufactured "adventures," and consequently I was bored throughout most of the movie -- although Virginia Madsen and, especially, Sandra Oh injected some life into the general tedium. For my money, Election was Alexander Payne's finest moment (so far) and this is a disappointingly unengaging, minor effort from a writer/director who is capable of much more provocative work. Expand
  55. ILane
    Dec 29, 2004
    Completely overrated. Characters are two dimensional, emotions seem forced. The dialogue, that critics so praise, is laughable. The two main characters are pathetic. There is no reason any woman (fiance, ex-wife, one night stand, unrequited love) would ever consider love with these men. And not to mention, in all my years of going to California wine country, I've never seen two Completely overrated. Characters are two dimensional, emotions seem forced. The dialogue, that critics so praise, is laughable. The two main characters are pathetic. There is no reason any woman (fiance, ex-wife, one night stand, unrequited love) would ever consider love with these men. And not to mention, in all my years of going to California wine country, I've never seen two straight men alone in the wine country. Expand
  56. GeorgeS
    Nov 17, 2005
    The only question I have for the esteemed critics is this... Where is the list for the most overhyped movies of all time? cause I think this would be somewhere around the top 20 or so. It has everything in it to appeal to VERY particular people the whole movie seems like it is designed with the movie critic in mind NOT the consumer. So of course you find the movie legendary they The only question I have for the esteemed critics is this... Where is the list for the most overhyped movies of all time? cause I think this would be somewhere around the top 20 or so. It has everything in it to appeal to VERY particular people the whole movie seems like it is designed with the movie critic in mind NOT the consumer. So of course you find the movie legendary they deliberately placed anything and everything that appeals to critics in it. Meanwhile I never fall asleep during movies and fell asleep around the last twenty minutes it just couldnt hold my interest It does have some very funny events but its not a masterpiece. Expand
  57. TylerJ
    Jan 16, 2005
    Did not like this movie. Giamatti and Payne were whiny, self absorbed and totally unredeeming. Giametti criticized Payne, but feels nothing stealing from his own mother. "Sideways" tries to be a morality play, but fails...
  58. katieh.
    Dec 12, 2005
    This is not a movie that I could sit through in one shot. I had to stop, and come back to it. To be fair, though, there are several quotable moments and humourous scenes.
  59. ChristieR.
    Feb 18, 2005
    This movie should be rated at least NC-17. There were nude people having sex in this movie! The language was offensive also.
  60. PeterB.
    Feb 26, 2005
    Well made movie but way over-rated. Some funny moments but not a funny movie. Rather depressing in fact. Normally I would give such a movie a 6 but 4 is more deserving as I feel somewhat cheated by the unjustified high reviews that brought me to spend my Saturday evening with that movie rather than a a really enjoyable movie.
  61. TimB.
    May 21, 2005
    Could have been a mediocre but moderately entertaining trip to the movies if it wasn't for how completely ovehyped it got - I just don't get why a movie this predictable and pretentious suddenly gets so many great reviews. Unless 15 minute monologues on the minutia of different styles of wines are your thing, its just not that great a movie.
  62. Wongit
    May 24, 2005
    I couldnt even finish this movie, maybe because i was real tired or just not interested but i seriously dont see where al the hype comes from in this movie. Its not funny. I dont care for the characters, what the heck is the big deal of this movie.
  63. adamw.
    Jun 15, 2005
    The most highly overrated movie of the year really disappoints. I guess it is funny, but only if you're a middle-aged, divorced, wine buff with an asshole for a friend.
  64. DanielF.
    Apr 21, 2006
    Overrated. Metacritic has this movie up there with the Godfather Dr.Strangelove and Pulp Fiction which all deserve their spots. Now I like those movies and i'm pretty open minded. Hey I liked Lost in Translation just because it made me cry. This movie is not horrible just overrated. Sorta reminds me of fargo with out the charm and murder. Well anyway don't expect a spectacular Overrated. Metacritic has this movie up there with the Godfather Dr.Strangelove and Pulp Fiction which all deserve their spots. Now I like those movies and i'm pretty open minded. Hey I liked Lost in Translation just because it made me cry. This movie is not horrible just overrated. Sorta reminds me of fargo with out the charm and murder. Well anyway don't expect a spectacular movie and you won't be disapointed. Expand
  65. ShahpoorI
    Apr 26, 2009
    Expected a bit more out of the movie.. It was also a bit slow.
  66. KristenR.
    Nov 14, 2005
    I wouldn't say this is a bad movie, per say....just OVER-rated. To see it as number six on the all-time best movies is just ridiculous. "Sideways" has an interesting take on life for middle-aged men, yes, and it introduced thousands of people to Pinot Noir.....but is it a fabulous movie? No. I feel like this is one of those movies where it is just hip to like it.
  67. robugly
    Dec 28, 2005
    I also don't understand why this movie rates so high. It is just a movie about a couple of guys going around drinking wine. The whole time I kept wondering what this movie was going to be about, then it was over.

1. Reviewed by: Todd McCarthy
    A beautifully observed, small-scale study of personal foibles, romantic uncertainty and two sides of the sadly predictable male animal.
  2. Hysterically funny yet melancholy comedy.
  3. Reviewed by: David Ansen
    In Sideways, Payne has created four of the most lived-in, indelible characters in recent American movies. This deliciously bittersweet movie makes magic out of the quotidian.