Sideways

6.7

1. burtonm
    Jan 12, 2005
    Good all the way around. Funny, original, remarkable writing, fantastic acting, great direction and editing.
  2. GregoryW
    Jan 21, 2005
    Simply enjoyable, so much so that I went to Santa Barbara wine country soon after seeing this film. The characters are real (which means not always likeable, and very, very fallible). Yes, it's basically a teen road comedy, but played by middle aged men who should know better, but there are many time I've done things that I know I shouldn't, but still do. Real, quirky, very funny.
  3. Jesse
    Jan 29, 2005
    Movie was very well done. All those awards and the one guy that carried it Paul Giamatti got robbed. How can he not be nominated for Best Actor? Leonardo is okay, Clint too, but to overlook this piece of work is just terrible.
  4. Jason
    Jan 30, 2005
    Absolutely loved it....two guys who should know better living life like they were 22.
  5. TrishS
    Jan 30, 2005
    One of the best movies I have ever seen. Everything from the acting and cinematography to the writnig and directing worked beautifully. Movie is full of human touch!
  6. ChrisS.
    Feb 14, 2005
    While in the eyes of the NY Times the most overrated film of the year (not like that's a bad thing...), "Sideways" is a very, very fine film with a strong ensemble cast from a director with a proven track record. Paul Giamatti, overlooked by the Academy once more, puts in another great performance as yet another underdog with a lot to prove.
  7. PaulF.
    Feb 16, 2005
    A near perfect Ten. If it had one flaw it was a slow beginning where the characters were settling in. By the end of the move you realize by misfitted Giamatti and Church's characters were a match. They each possesed something the other didn't. Overall my heart went to Giamatti's character which I was 100 percent convinced of by the end. This like so many moves I like is not A near perfect Ten. If it had one flaw it was a slow beginning where the characters were settling in. By the end of the move you realize by misfitted Giamatti and Church's characters were a match. They each possesed something the other didn't. Overall my heart went to Giamatti's character which I was 100 percent convinced of by the end. This like so many moves I like is not crammed full of action but instead is intelligent with sublime emotion undercurrents. Expand
  8. MikeS.
    Feb 21, 2005
    I think that the negative reviews on this wonderful film are ridiculous! This is the kind of movie that comes out very rarely and i'm glad for that. You can sink your teeth into this film and cherish it well after. Paul Giamatti- kudos for your performance. I thought "American Splendor" was his best work, but this comes close. The so-called "boring wine talk" gave the scenes such I think that the negative reviews on this wonderful film are ridiculous! This is the kind of movie that comes out very rarely and i'm glad for that. You can sink your teeth into this film and cherish it well after. Paul Giamatti- kudos for your performance. I thought "American Splendor" was his best work, but this comes close. The so-called "boring wine talk" gave the scenes such depth and meaning. I usually read the comments on films and let them slide but I can't on this one. Any lower score than a 7 and your cheating yourselves and being pessimistic about a movie that WILL kick rear end at the Oscars. Movies for some are all about the thrill- this film is all about life and REALITY. Expand
  9. Robert
    Feb 21, 2005
    Excellent movie. I'm with Bob B., get over your ultra-conservative values for just a minute and enjoy a great movie. Contrary to what some people here apparently thought, I found the characters extremely believable and sympathetic. I would say there was probably slightly more drama than comedy in this movie, but both parts were done extremely well.
  10. AndyW.
    Feb 21, 2005
    Funny, emotional and genuine. Could only be "offensive" to those who are scared of opening their eyes to the people and relationships of our time. Genius at work.
  11. LindsayG.
    Feb 20, 2005
    As a comedy, it's just not that funny. I laughed at the merlot scene...that's it. So I blame the advertisers for trying to bill this as a comedy when it comes across more as a drama. I'll let Blockbuster decide exactly what category it belongs in. The "critics" eat up movies like this. I don't know why. Maybe this one reflects on the things they'd like to As a comedy, it's just not that funny. I laughed at the merlot scene...that's it. So I blame the advertisers for trying to bill this as a comedy when it comes across more as a drama. I'll let Blockbuster decide exactly what category it belongs in. The "critics" eat up movies like this. I don't know why. Maybe this one reflects on the things they'd like to experience or have experienced before and reminds them of their own midlife crisis and trip through Napa....they identify with it somehow so they love it....Go see Clint's new movie....Very Good. Expand
  12. ThanasisP.
    Feb 23, 2005
    Wow! People either loved it or hated it, 0 or 10. Not much in between. Well, I just saw it and I loved it!. I also understood why many hate it. This is one of those movies that you either get it or you don
  13. Jeff
    Feb 27, 2005
    Perfect, a real movie, nothing compares!!! And to thonse who said it wasn't good, maybe you need to look up the definition of a true cinematic experience, you'd get a picture of Giamatti and Church!
  14. TimM
    Feb 3, 2005
    Flawless and hilarious. if you have a low intelligence and are only entertained with explosions and slapstick (not to dis either of the two) then this is not for you.
  15. StaciL.
    Feb 6, 2005
    Beautiful for wine lovers and budding wine lovers alike!
  16. RandyR
    Mar 16, 2005
    I love that area and have actually stayed at that motel in Buellton when visiting there. Funny and offbeat humor about the human condition. The discussion about pinot grapes will forever go down as one of the best dialogues in a movie. Really enjoyed it.
  17. OlivierP.
    Mar 16, 2005
    Amazing, funny and poetic road-movie.
  18. JoeF
    Mar 17, 2005
    The low ratings portrayed are classic examples of an underground film for those intelligent few, and then the "average" movie audience gets wind of it, sees it, doesn't understand it, and doesn't like it, I guess ignorance isn't always bliss huh? Quit freaking out, it's a movie, go home and rent Independence Day, and don't forget to stop at Mickey D's on the way.
  19. JonathanShalfi
    Mar 26, 2005
    This is very typical of slow, adult oriented "sophisticated " films which get huge reviews from the papers.. There are very few scenes that'll actually make you smile, and everything seems to follow an "Oscar-formula". Other than that, its a fairly interesting movie, as long as you have some patience.
  20. ReidM.
    Apr 16, 2005
    A fabulous movie. The story is unique, the charachters are twisted and it made me laugh.
  21. JoeR
    Apr 19, 2005
    This scenic little travelog through wine country is relaxed, insightful and frequently hilarious. You probably need to have been through a few serious relationships and disappointments to fully appreciate the subtle warmth, angst, bizarre acting out and needyness of the characters which probably explains why most users loved it but a few just didn't get it.
  22. Brian
    Apr 23, 2005
    A critically acclaimed movie that lives up to its hype. Realistic, believable characters warts and all, beautiful scenery, moments of hilarity and I don't even care for wine. Strong, natural performaces, a script that reflects the way people talk rather than how screenwriters think they talk.
  23. PhilT
    Apr 24, 2005
    This movie is more than a comedy. It's a comment on friendship, love, and the human condition. What I liked most about Jack and Miles was that their friendship could take the turbulence generated by their foibles. They stuck with one another, like true friends. It is also about love, courage, and healing. Looking for a yuk-yuk comedy? Look elsewhere. This film is more than that.
  24. ClintM.
    Apr 26, 2005
    I would have to agree with reviewer "Joe R." when he said the reason a lot of users didn't care for this movie or "get" it was b/c you need to have been through a serious relationship or two and a few disappointments to really get the vibe of the movie. I thought it was really genuinely funny; not at all forced. The performances were all wonderful and natural. I would recommend this I would have to agree with reviewer "Joe R." when he said the reason a lot of users didn't care for this movie or "get" it was b/c you need to have been through a serious relationship or two and a few disappointments to really get the vibe of the movie. I thought it was really genuinely funny; not at all forced. The performances were all wonderful and natural. I would recommend this movie to anyone who can find laughter even when life seems to be at its lowest. Expand
  25. marcoc.
    Apr 28, 2005
    A hugely enjoyable film with a great performance from Giamatti. The writing is first class. Overall it is an insightful, funny and moving picture.
  26. RickK
    Apr 30, 2005
    Not everyone will enjoy this movie as much as I did - it's a bit of a guy-college-bud, what-has-become-of-my-life movie. It certainly made me feel happier and entertained.
  27. JamesL
    Apr 3, 2005
    I think many of the people who reviewed this movie came out with a kneejerk reaction, without realy reflecting on the nature of the film and the emotional elements that played throughout. For someone on the same side of divorce as the movie portrayed, it was poignent and filled with the little pieces of life. The pieces that really matter. If you wanted humor there are several other mind I think many of the people who reviewed this movie came out with a kneejerk reaction, without realy reflecting on the nature of the film and the emotional elements that played throughout. For someone on the same side of divorce as the movie portrayed, it was poignent and filled with the little pieces of life. The pieces that really matter. If you wanted humor there are several other mind numbing options, just go see The Son of the Mask and pretend like the humor amuzes you, but think more deeply on the real meaning of this film and less on how much you laughed. Expand
  28. JohnS
    Apr 6, 2005
    This was as perfect as movies get. It is very deserving of the 94 rating by the critics. I am not sure who these people (ie., users) are who did not get the movie. Why did they go, wasn't there a monster truck rally they could have watched?
  29. DavidK
    Apr 7, 2005
    Very interesting and original are the highs. Also, great to see a low budget movie make big money. Maybe Hollywood will take notice and quit following a canned model of junk (for the most part). However, the movie is not worthy of a "94" or Academy Award Nomination - be serious.
  30. DaveF
    May 14, 2005
    Dangerously, intoxicatingly perfect. I'm afraid we have a classic on our hands.

1. Reviewed by: Todd McCarthy
    A beautifully observed, small-scale study of personal foibles, romantic uncertainty and two sides of the sadly predictable male animal.
  2. Hysterically funny yet melancholy comedy.
  3. Reviewed by: David Ansen
    In Sideways, Payne has created four of the most lived-in, indelible characters in recent American movies. This deliciously bittersweet movie makes magic out of the quotidian.