Sideways

Feb 4, 2005
    Brilliant.
  2. JeffM
    Apr 10, 2005
    A very realistic movie. In a time of Hollywood acting and Hollywood endings, this movie is a breath of fresh air. It is not a feel good movie, but at times extremely funny and entertaining. Too many people see this movie expecting a laugh riot...It's not!!! What it is is a look at real people doing real things and it is very fun to watch. At times it is very depressing, but A very realistic movie. In a time of Hollywood acting and Hollywood endings, this movie is a breath of fresh air. It is not a feel good movie, but at times extremely funny and entertaining. Too many people see this movie expecting a laugh riot...It's not!!! What it is is a look at real people doing real things and it is very fun to watch. At times it is very depressing, but that's real life. I feel sorry for everybody who doesn't like this movie...I say watch it again, now that you know what to expect, and maybe you'll see how truely great it is. Expand
  3. JackO
    Oct 10, 2009
    Can't describe how real and awesome this movie is. absolute perfection in every sense of the word.
  4. TroyP.
    Oct 17, 2008
    This movie is excellent! An amazing script with great acting. It touches on so many real life issues and does so in such a sutly humorous way. I feel that many people will not understand the greatness of this movie, but it is a masterpiece!!!
  5. Jimmy
    Sep 8, 2005
    Outstanding film, an instant classic. How you could give this movie a negative review is beyond me. The acting is superb. This is an honest film and real as a movie can be-- it wasn't made just to make you laugh. If you missed the point, I guess that's your loss. Go watch American Pie or something.
  6. Feb 7, 2011
    Absolute perfection - a film in which ever detail is tuned beautifully, but not overdone. The cinematography, the music, the story, the set pieces, the realism, the WINE, the humour, the dialogue... and above all else the finest character performance I've seen from a consistently great character actor, Paul Giamatti. He captures Miles with precision - reading the novel, which is narratedAbsolute perfection - a film in which ever detail is tuned beautifully, but not overdone. The cinematography, the music, the story, the set pieces, the realism, the WINE, the humour, the dialogue... and above all else the finest character performance I've seen from a consistently great character actor, Paul Giamatti. He captures Miles with precision - reading the novel, which is narrated by Miles, you obviously gain great insight into his character, but with every twitch, half-smile, lame comment, heartbreaking expression, he truly becomes Pickett's character, and brings him to life like no other could. Haden Church as Jack is a fantastic antithesis to Miles, and gives the surprise performance of the century, and Madsen offers a strong but scarred woman, who ultimately breathes life into Miles' body. I'm only really talking about performances here, but really, you have to see this movie yourself. For some fantastic camera work look out for the scene in Los Olivos, with a drunken Miles on the phone to his ex-wife, for a beautiful piece of music from Rolfe Kent, listen out for the scene at Mrs Raymond's, where Miles is looked down upon by his family (metaphorically, of course - they are in photographs), and for the best example of just how strong Giamatti is here, watch his stomach turn as Victoria gives him the news after the wedding. He painfully holds onto a smile, and we can see in his hurt, tormented eyes that he just wants to let go. Movie magic until the last second, and after that. Mature filmmaking at its best - as 'Jimmy' says, "an instant classic... an honest film and as real as a movie can be." Couldn't have put it better myself. Collapse
  7. EricL.
    Jan 10, 2005
    A little better than average, but it can be slow at times. I don't understand why the critics loved it so much.
  8. Aug 29, 2011
    Mastering the tonal shifts of life with a look at the problems one can face, both serious and trivial, Sideways comes around as simply excellent. It can have scenes of high humor, scenes of sad despair, and scenes to marvel at just how something managed to end up the way it is, and the director and cast can handle the shifts between these in a way that feels so natural it's almost frightening.
  9. Dec 28, 2011
    Giamatti's character's dimensions are written with such care that it makes him tangible and engaging. He's both fragile and explosive. When set against Haden Church's aging jock it creates a great story with a Laurel & Hardy quality to it. What I liked though is that looks at love were highly imperfect but still had real consequences. Jennifer Aniston is not in this film. The actorsGiamatti's character's dimensions are written with such care that it makes him tangible and engaging. He's both fragile and explosive. When set against Haden Church's aging jock it creates a great story with a Laurel & Hardy quality to it. What I liked though is that looks at love were highly imperfect but still had real consequences. Jennifer Aniston is not in this film. The actors are believable. I was able to want to believe them, right or wrong, for better or worse. Expand
  10. May 8, 2012
    Sideways makes you believe that the story written by Alexander Payne is true. It is fresh, smart and as sophisticated as a good, old wine. All four actors are full of emotions, especially Paul Giamatti gives an unforgettable performance.
  11. Jan 5, 2013
    "Sideways" is a insightful movie about friendship, love, a lot drinking, bad habits and moral weaknesses of man. However it leaves delight after seeing, and chaotic adventure of main characters breathes in us hope that life is much more pleasent that it sounds.
  12. May 10, 2011
    This movie is phenomenal. It's humor is incredibly consistent and contains a performance from Paul Giamatti that won't be topped for ages. I loved this movie and would recommend it to anyone
  13. SImonM
    Jan 11, 2009
    Put it like this - if you are an intelligent, witty and astute person, you will LOVE this. If, however, you are not a very bright person, you will say it's boring and unfunny. Take a look at the negative reviews here and you will notice some terrible spelling, and inarticulate submissions. I think that says it all. For those who didn't enjoy the movie, perhapsMr Bean is more Put it like this - if you are an intelligent, witty and astute person, you will LOVE this. If, however, you are not a very bright person, you will say it's boring and unfunny. Take a look at the negative reviews here and you will notice some terrible spelling, and inarticulate submissions. I think that says it all. For those who didn't enjoy the movie, perhapsMr Bean is more your style?? Expand
  14. Aug 14, 2010
    Although I enjoyed the movie, I'm not sure why the critics fawned over it as much as they did. It's solid, but not spectacular. The characters and plot were entertaining and unique.
  15. Jan 16, 2011
    This is in my top 20 movies of the last decade. It has an amazing script, and no less than three terrific performances by Paul Giamatti (one of the worst snubs in Oscar history) Thomas Hadden Church, and Virginia Madsen. It's very funny, entertaining, and made wine country a fascinating topic for someone like me who had no interest on the subject. It's purely about life and the choices we make.
  16. Nov 28, 2010
    Best quotidian movie in the last 20 years, wonderful plot, nice acting Giamatti's performance its sublime.
    This movie its not for a general crowd, as wine tour suggest, the movie target's people that loves wine, nature and stereotypes on actual society, for some people to hard to understand the movie's message.
    i watch it 2 times already and there's always something new on the plot ...
  17. Jun 10, 2012
    I really like Paul Giamatti and Thomas Haden Church, I think Thomas should won that oscar this movie is really entertaining, pretty good in my opinion, i specially liked it by the acting but still good
  18. Jun 10, 2012
    I love the acting in this movie, i also like the drama and it has comedy too, that is great, i do not get why people doesnt like it much its of my favorite ones
  19. Nov 18, 2012
    Payne directs the film so meticulously that you can't help but be intrigued by what he's showing you. He and Giamatti create and character with vast depth and sneakily subtle idiosyncrasies.
  20. Jun 8, 2013
    A special film, the kind that stays with you days after watching it. The word that comes to mind when I think about this movie is, rich. Each scene is so perfectly constructed and full of so much heart and soul; the characters are fully realized, well developed, and perfectly portrayed by an amazing cast. Payne's direction is brilliant, this is easily his best film he's ever done. And theA special film, the kind that stays with you days after watching it. The word that comes to mind when I think about this movie is, rich. Each scene is so perfectly constructed and full of so much heart and soul; the characters are fully realized, well developed, and perfectly portrayed by an amazing cast. Payne's direction is brilliant, this is easily his best film he's ever done. And the script is fun, charming, interesting, real, and resonant. Expand
  21. Feb 17, 2013
    A movie that does not underestimate the public, like most of the comedies nowadays. A lot of its drama is undisclosed, but perfectly understood, thanks to the flawless performances of Giamatti and Church. Payne's view of marriage, friendship and life is fascinating. The direction is outstanding: it allow us to enter the story in so many layers that we feel on a road trip, drinking wine. AA movie that does not underestimate the public, like most of the comedies nowadays. A lot of its drama is undisclosed, but perfectly understood, thanks to the flawless performances of Giamatti and Church. Payne's view of marriage, friendship and life is fascinating. The direction is outstanding: it allow us to enter the story in so many layers that we feel on a road trip, drinking wine. A real masterpiece. Expand
  22. Nov 16, 2013
    The central quartet is fantastic to behold, and this remains one of Alexander Payne's best films. It's a fantastic piece of work aided by an engaging and bittersweet script.
  23. Mar 29, 2014
    One of my all time favorite movies, and for some people on here to say it was the worst movie ever, watch Lost in space, or the Black Hole. People are so ridiculous. Sideways is a classic.
  24. LauraM
    Feb 3, 2005
    The characters were both stereotypes, which is ok for a comedy, less so for a serious movie. The former soap opera star was more over the top, and I have to say that I liked his character better than the writer's, whose story was far too formulaic. Still, a solid comedy.
  25. JohnL.
    Jan 30, 2005
    Great movie! I did not know what to expect, so the entire movie was a surprise. Very funny, I laughed out so many times. Story is orignal, not your typical movie. I think this is the movie of the year.
  26. brianB
    Feb 1, 2005
    Brilliant script. Excellent acting. Simply stated, the best movie I have seen in several years. Don't miss it!
  27. Derkins
    Oct 20, 2004
    Brilliant, and the best film I have seen all year. Excellent characters, beautiful visuals, and in the screening I saw I have never heard a theater erupt in laughter so loudly and sit in sadness so quietly before.
  28. liz
    Jan 1, 2005
    A perfect 10--a great movie.
  29. ZsoltG.
    Jan 31, 2005
    A simple, moderate, beautiful movie. Paul Giamatti is wonderful, because he succeeds in being always natural and authentic.

1. Reviewed by: Todd McCarthy
    A beautifully observed, small-scale study of personal foibles, romantic uncertainty and two sides of the sadly predictable male animal.
  2. Hysterically funny yet melancholy comedy.
  3. Reviewed by: David Ansen
    In Sideways, Payne has created four of the most lived-in, indelible characters in recent American movies. This deliciously bittersweet movie makes magic out of the quotidian.