5.2

1. Oct 26, 2012
    Horrible bastardization of the Silent Hill game mythology. Not worth paying to see or worth your time. Not scary, cheesy, terrible script and director. It's kind of sad to see such a great story be completely ruined..to make a cheap buck for Hollywood. Silent Hill has gone to **** after they took out Team Silent.
  2. Nov 8, 2012
    I'm not a fan of these types of movies although the first one wasn't too bad, which i did happen to like much more than this abysmal sequel. I want to say that this movie was rushed but that just doesn't make sense considering the first entry came out 6 years ago. The plot had quite a few holes. Acting wasn't an issue, but the dialogue and the script were just plain bad. Really the only positive thing about this movie i can think of is Michelle Williams' performance, and pyramid head is a bada$$, but other than that, this film is just terrible. Don't waste your time or your hard earned cash. 1.5/10 Expand
  3. Dec 23, 2012
    The only scary or gruesome thing about this movie is that it might be the end of Silent Hill. Yes, it's that bad, coupled that with an awful game earlier this year, Silent Hill is in all new low. Mercilessly butchering the memory of one of the best games in last gen, Silent Hill: Revelations 3D is a poor reinterpretation which fails almost in its entirety and they make sure to stomp the franchise while it's on the ground with truly horrible 3D implementation.

Any resemblance to the game is merely cosmetic. The look of protagonist, misty town, gridiron underworld, they are all practically miming the game. This may work as a screenshot, but put them in motion, it's a travesty to the title. Heather Mason (Adelaide Clemens) has the hair and clothes, yet she fumbles in times, bordering on teen angst rather than the sorrowful persona of the game. It's amazing how the game digital character could exhibit more appropriate sadness, meanwhile the real life version somewhat struggles with the delivery. It's like she's in constant lousy mood and relies too heavily on screams, which practically everyone does here.

There's also an variation of the cast, Vincent (Kit Harington), who is Jon Snow in Game of Thrones, but so Twilight here. He substitutes the private investigator part, who barely has any screen time and while I welcome changes, this one is needless and a blatant bait for teen drama. The private eye had odd relationship with Heather as they were both lost in Silent Hill, Vincent doesn't add to that, he's plain, very predictable, and can be mistaken from 90's slasher movie cast.

It's strange that there are actually some quality names here; Sean Bean, Malcolm McDowell, Carrie Anne-Moss, but they only have brief screen time and not much to go with, considering how mediocre the script and screenplay are. Sean Bean does his best for the father figure, it's not a great performance, although he is believable as the parental role. And he offers a puzzle whether he continues his tradition of dying in the movie or not as Harry Mason actually died in the game.

It'd be bearable if they only mess up that far, but the brilliant minds that made this had an epiphany: 3D. Oh god, the utter failure of it.

Effect of 3D, as we all know, can also be accompanied by the blurry and blindingly dark effect. Now, add that to a movie where the bulk of it is in darkness, you have a horrifyingly bad visual. Then there are the cheap scares, so prevalently, from monsters that scream at the screen. Everything in the movie throws, stabs, yells at the screen. I've had enough of this persistent crap in my face. And when I said everything, that includes Heather. She shines the flashlight at the audience every few minutes.

Imagine a putrid dark room, you can barely see anything, and then she flashes at your fragile eyes, repeatedly. Why the bloody hell someone would think that's a good idea is beyond common sense. All of these atrocious concepts make a visual nightmare, not in its intended goal.

To be fair, it sometimes looks and sounds like the game, albeit only seldom, and a couple of scenes are almost okay. But that's buried in piles of questionable concepts and horrific execution of them, it's more of a laughable annoyance than adaptation of once a great game. What made the game so popular was the use of details to make an atmosphere. Flashlight, radio static, camera angle and the audio made an excellent terrifying world, the movie is anything but. This might be last tour in Silent Hill.
  4. Oct 27, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Okay, I'm going to be up front here and tell anyone who is reading this that I am a Silent Hill fan. I love the games and Silent Hill 2 is among my favorite games of all time. I will not be comparing this to the games because we all know that the games are better. So when I unleash all holy hell upon this movie, I want to make it clear that I am not being (or at least not attempting to be) a but hurt fanboy.

For those of you who walked the first movie, you probably remember the artsy ending and how it left no room for a sequel. Watching the writer's solution to that problem is unbearably bad and made even worse by both Sean Bean's and Mitchell Radha's lack of giving a **** (not that I can blame them). using the seal of Metatron as a means of getting out of Silent Hill is what we call Deus Ex Machina. It is the most half-assed explanation they could have ever wrote. Not to mention the damn thing has no logic behind it. It allows the user to see the true nature of things, but that doesn't explain how they get out of what is essentially Hell. Was this whole thing just a delusion? We don't know because the movie never explains to us, nor does it attempt to create a consistent logic within the world they've created.

There are so many pointless characters in this movie. From the girl that Heather randomly meets in the mannequin room, give a brief back story and then get taken away and killed off camera. If you're going to have a pointless character in a horror movie then at least kill them off in a creative way. All she did was scream with Heather and then died. Why was she in this movie in the first place? And how did she end up in the same dimension as the cultists when she just made a wrong turn? Shouldn't she be in the actual town of Silent Hill and not the the crazy evil version of Silent Hill? And Douglas has the same effect, except he's given a name and a reason for being in the movie, except he has no reason to be there because they have Vincent doing the exact same thing. Then there is Dahlia's brief exposition dump because the movie is too busy showing us the "creepy" sets to care about telling the story.

Then there is the plot, which is all over the map. First off, why would the police be looking for Heather and Harry/Christopher the cult member was killed in self defense. Couldn't they just as easily tell the police, there are some crazy cultists trying to kill me and my daughter? Why does Heather run from the cops when she sees a message in blood, instead of tell them the truth? Why is the plot point of the cops looking for Heather suddenly dropped? Why is Vincent suddenly in love with Heather after knowing her for less than a day? Why does Harry/Christopher care more about his wife than his daughter (seriously he gets a little obsessive)? How is Pyramid Head in the Asylum, when he is later established to be chained up in the amusement park? Why does the amusement park look more like a carnival? Why are the cult members who take Vincent to the Asylum killed by the nurses? Shouldn't they know that sound attracts them? How did Leonard turn into that monster by just fusing the Seal of Metatron, and how does removing it instantly kill him? How is Claudia turned into a monster? Was she always a monster? If so, then what does that make Vincent? How did Pyramid Head break free from his chains, and why didn't he do that before? And if he did that to help Heather in the Asylum, then why did he come back and chain himself back up? Those are just off the top of my head, and I assure you, there are plenty more.

The characters have no character to them. Claudia is a one note villain who is hardly in the movie. The movie seems to think that the town itself and the monsters in them are a substantial enough villain to hold the entire movie. Vincent has no purpose except as a romantic interest, but he and Heather have no chemistry. Heather flat out rejects him up to the point where she saves is life. But after he kisses her, I guess they're together now (gag). Leonard and Dahlia are there solely for exposition spouting. Oh, wait. Leonard is also there to remove the gun from the equation for the final act (because then she could just shoot the nurses, or Claudia if she conserved her ammo). Harry/Christopher was generic and Sean Bean's performance was terrible (in fact, terrible acting is something I could say about the entire cast). And Heather was wasted potential. Here we have a seventeen year old girl, constantly moving around from town to town in order to avoid something she doesn't understand. Then one day all of that gets brought to her attention and she begins to uncover the truth, eventually confronting her former self. But the writer doesn't do anything with it. It's like being handed the Mona Lisa, then putting it in your closet.

And the movie isn't scary to boot (shocker).

Thank you for reading this rant.
  5. Nov 6, 2012
    I never expected a movie to fail to follow it's source material so miserably. Poorly acted, poorly edited, and nigh incomprehensible plot-wise to anyone regardless of if you HAD actually played the games. In short, this film physically wounded me.
  6. Oct 31, 2012
    This movie is crap at best, not scary never any tension and absolutely awful dialogue. Don't touch the movie it is really that bad. I believe I could have made a better movie myself!
  7. Oct 26, 2012
    The info dumps killed the movie. The first 45 minutes explained everything in the worst dialog in recent memory and removed all mystery or suspense from the action parts. The movie actually got the look of Silent Hill 3 down to a tee but there was none of the horror or otherness to bolster the visuals. The 'revelations' should have come towards the end and been better written. Pyramid head was awesome. Expand
  8. Oct 28, 2012
    The only positive aspects of this movie are the two scenes involving the demonic nurses and when the audience witnesses pyramid head going through the asylum. Oh, and there is one extremely disturbing scene involving a plastic bag on the head of a mannequin. Literally everything else is painfully awful. Both fans and newcomers are going to be repulsed (and not in the good way).
  9. Oct 30, 2012
    I saw this in 3D-- which is a blurrier, dimmer, more migraine inducing version of this crap film. I'm a gamer, and thus a fan of the Silent Hill video game. Though the first film wasn't great it was definitely a film, made by a filmmaker. Revelation felt like fan fiction--which if you're a big fan of SH3, you'll probably love it.

I tend to use The Godfather as a basis of comparison
    for films--cinematography, music, writing, directing, acting--all supreme. But Silent Hill: Revelation needs to be compared to the Spiderman Ride in Orlando--which it barely just falls short of in terms of entertainment.

The dialog was awful but Sean Bean gave a good attempt at making it seem emotionally inspired. But a film this plot-driven and reliant on surprises for scares really has no time for emotion and I was more annoyed by "character moments" than desperately seeking them. Honestly, if it was just an hour and half of Heather running from the Manikin-Spider, I would have been more satisfied!
  10. Oct 30, 2012
    Too bad the fantastic french filmmaker of the first silent hill, which was a blast did not want to make a sequel , cos this is really not as good as the first one, despite the universe of both movies which are very similar.
  11. Jun 16, 2013
    Any true fan of the Silent Hill games will be greatly disappointed by this. It breaks the canon not only from the games but from the first film. The only character done nearly right is Heather, and even then she's still wrong. Don't even get me started on the fact Pyramid Head doesn't belong and how they portrayed Vincent...it wasn't scary, it wasn't faithful to the games, it was just a pure mess all around. Expand
  12. Feb 17, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Silent Hill Revelation is a prime example of how to take a movie's potential, wrap it up in a little box, and punt it off a cliff. The first twenty minutes were somewhat suspenseful, slightly intense, and pretty much on par with the first film (for the record, I actually enjoyed the first SH flick). After that, it's as if Paul W.S. Anderson assumed filming duties and everything went to complete crap. Hilariously bad monster design, corny dialog, Malcom McDowell's apparent winging of his performance after coming to terms with reality and the film he signed for, and enough 3D IN YOUR FACE moments to induce 4D vomiting- those are reasons enough for me to stop there. So, after trudging through that mess, we arrive at the final scene in the movie, the excrement on the urine-flavored cake: ***SPOILERS AHEAD*** In just one of many forced plot twists in this film, Heather summons Pyramid Head, who, with all his might, rushes to Heather's aid. I'm aware this reflects upon a scene in the first movie, but in this film they may as well have given Pyramid Head a cape and cowl because they couldn't have made his heroic presence more obvious.

**END SPOILER*** In closing, Silent Hill: Revelation is nothing more than a lackluster follow-up to the original film. Whereas the first movie was quite enjoyable, this mess could barely hold by attention beyond wondering how much worse it could get.
  13. Dec 2, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Well ... it was fun to watch - if for the wrong reasons. Aweful and ridiculous plot and dialogue by blant and meaningless characters who behave and act stupidly will have you grin and giggle throughout a movie that tries to be exaggeratingly heavy on exposition and explaning but still manages to make no sense at all. It contradicts itself all the time and when it doesn't, it presents situations that are very unlikely and unbelievable if thought through.

To say something good, the movie looks and sounds great, there's no denying it and even the 3D looks good. (Though the latter will depend on the theatre you visit, too.) I also thought the actors did a good job, the horrible script isn't their fault.

So how about comparing the movie to the game it's based on? The similarities mostly start and end with the namedropping. In general, there's no need to slavishly stick to the game's plot ect., but if you change stuff, it should benefit the movie.

Revelation has the following problem: it wants to be a sequel to the first movie and yet tell the plot of the third game which is problematic because the first movie already altered the key plot aspects of the first game significantly and especially those that are relevant for how the story was continued in the third game. (The second game had a completely independent story.)

Now it would've been no problem to just stick with what the first movie did and build on it, but instead, the narration tries to combine the two differing stories - BUT does so very poorly, because first of all, in doing so, it does contradict certain facts known from the first movie and second of all, it still changes the story of the third game anyways! What the ---- was it good for to completely break the continuity and the canon of the first movie just to include the third game's plot when you, then, alter that plot anyways? You could've just altered the game's plot to fit the first movie and fine!

If you like the games, the saddest thing about this movie is that it simply doesn't feel like a Silent Hill. It is not scary at all, there is absolutely neither mystery nor confusion, the emotional aspects are shallow and uninteresting and the town of Silent Hill is overcrowded with people.

Which is in itself, independently from the games, ridiculous because on the one hand, the town is so super dangerous ect., but on the other hand, a full community has been living and surviving there for over a century among the hostile monsters and a spoiled brat gone wild with destructive super powers. For instance, the asylum in the movie is crawling with monsters that kill everyone they can get a hold of and yet, the order, trapped in the very same nightmare world, is using the place as a psychological hospital. (Basically, they brainwash people in there or make them prisoners when they disobey.) In one scene, they bring one of the characters there for "treatment", bring him into a room full of monster nurses, try to do their job among them, and then, surprisingly, get killed by those even though they knew the nurses were in that room and that they were dangerous. Fleeing whenever "the darkness" - yikes - approaches is the number one rule, but all of a sudden, the "darkness" is the perfect working place. Oooops, dead.

That's how much sense the movie makes.

Overall, yes, you can have a good laugh at the movie and it's remarkably well done, but that's about it. If you are a fan of the series and have a lot of humour, you will enjoy the movie for how funny it is and for all the little innuendos and references to the game series, but will also feel like you want to cry because the movie butchers and, pretty much, insults he franchise.

If you don't know the games, this movie will make even less sense to you and you won't even be able to enjoy the shameless fan-service, so ... better go see something else.
  14. Nov 13, 2012
    Bravo. SH:R:3D is now the best argument for Digital over Film -- it has such a modern look to it! This movie is so modern that it would be right at home on Netflix Instant or a Blu-ray or any modern technology (i'm surprised it didn't go straight there!). it looks like it was shot on an iPhone! Really cutting edge stuff. And the acting. Oh. my, god. Every time a familiar face showed up I thought to myself, "I CAN'T BELIEVE THEY'RE IN THIS MOVIE!". The art direction was great. it reminded me of one of those haunted houses you go to on halloween where a bunch of employees wearing rubber run up and try to scare you, and then go back and wait to pop out again. Very professional. And as for the writer/ director, WELL, he certainly made a lot of choices! i really think that the person who deserves the most credit though is Samuel Hadida, after all, his is the first credit you see! On a scale from 1 to 10, i will rate it a perfect score of 1 Expand
  15. Nov 20, 2012
    This was a great GAME, and a cool FIRST MOVIE, but why make a second movie that has nothing to do with anything? The only thing it shares with Silent Hill is the name and that's pretty much it. Then there's this cheeseball 3D crap they threw in... ugh. THIS IS A NO SEE MOVIE
  16. Jan 13, 2013
    Silent Hill: Revelation is a very bad movie. It's just a messed-up mixture of low scares and cheap and terrible script. I don't think it can even be called a horror film.
  17. Jan 21, 2013
    There is really no point in even reviewing this film. All that is bad about this movie has been said by others. If this movie could have copied one good thing from the original Silent Hill film I would have given it a 1/10 but Revelation 3D is relentless with its failures. I suppose if you like the any Resident Evil film after the first one you will like this movie. Enjoy :D
  18. Jan 21, 2013
    Zzzzz! So Boring! The only way you will like this movie is if you are under 14, haven't seen many other movies and... can't think of another reason! The story doesn't matter, we just want scares!
  19. Oct 27, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Nothing more then Garbage worst film adaption **** up on heather got her character wrong VINCENT IS 24-26 for **** sake heather HATES HIM he should not be a shoe horned Romance downpour should not even be in the damn movie are Travis Clearly anyone that says it did justice to the game NEVER played the game for **** sake its pacing was Awful they got barley anything done Douglas Cartland WAS NOT A MINOR PART also He does NOT DIE he only DIES in the evil ending and harry does not get Kidnapped HE gets killed in his living room and heather finds him and she fights Missionary who killed harry under Claudia Wolf's orders. THE best PART of the WHOLE movie Was SADLY Pyramid HEAD and He does not even belong in silent hill 3 but he stole the movie right under heathers nose in this **** fest of a "Movie" JUST awful they did not even get her outfit right YOUR NOT HERE WAS NOT EVEN IN THE MOVIE AND ITS THE MAIN THEME over all a **** movie Expand
  20. Dec 11, 2012
    I have had only 3 experiences in a cinema like I had with Silent Hill: Rev and I wouldn't want to experience them again.
    I liked the original Silent Hill Movie for what it was, but this was so terribly done, for a movie that was supposed to be scary, it wasn't even laughably entertaining, it was a horrible boring mess from start to finish.
  21. Jan 28, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Wow. This one was hard to enjoy. Terrible in every way and a disgrace to the previous movie. It's even hard to try and describe what went wrong since everything went wrong.

**SPOILER**
    And the ending battle between Pyramid Head and that other creature? Come one, that was terrible.
  22. Nov 1, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. As an avid Silent Hill fan, I was extremely excited for a sequel to Christophe Gans' 2006 film. The 2006 original was exactly what it should be - a movie DEDICATED to fans of the video games! And that movie was amazing - with great performances and a movie that really evoked a sense of dread in the terrifying nightmare. So I was extremely disappointed that this 2012 sequel is not even close to achieving that same type of caliber. The movie is filled with cheap scare tactics, cheesy acting, and characters randomly thrown in so that it could be called a Silent Hill movie. Whereas Christophe's original was paced so that you could identify with the main characters and their plight, you don't get that opportunity with this cast. When characters drop off in this sequel, you just don't care. In Christophe Expand
  23. Dec 31, 2012
    I really didn't enjoy this movie, I knew from the trailers I probably wasn't going to enjoy this movie, but I went to the Cinema to see it because I thought, "Hey, its Silent Hill, its got to be better than the last movie, right?" Wrong. The plot sort of based around the plot of Silent Hill 3 with Heather Mason, she starts having nightmares about Silent Hill and eventually starts seeing these things in real life. If you know the game, you know the general plot of this movie bar a few minor swaps and changes which may make it more interesting to some people? I don't know, I just kept pointing out mistakes to the people I was with who had never played Silent Hill 3. (They didn't like the movie either, by the way.) The jump scares do scare you, but it doesn't really build up any kind of suspense as you know when the music starts to go quiet that something is going to scream, or a loud noise is going to attempt to frighten you. It did start to annoy me after a while, because it was less of a horror movie and more of a "Loud noise, be scared" movie. The 3D aspect of the movie wasn't that bad, the fog and ash effects were nice, especially in transitions to the other world, but one scene that stuck out for me was the mannequin monster, the CGI was so bad that I burst out laughing like most of the audience in my showing of the movie, and I think it wins the award for one of the worst CGIs I have seen. The last few minutes of the movie were pretty terrible, I really disliked the use of Pyramid Head and it just seemed to be queuing itself up for another sequel, with either Travis or the guy from the most recent game, Downpour as the main characters instead of the Masons. Overall, the movie might be okay if you like jump scare movies or don't know anything about Silent Hill, but if you know about the Video Game, hate pointless jump scares or want a good horror movie, avoid this one. The reason it gets a three from me is because the 3D wasn't terrible, and some of the effects were nice, and while the plot wasn't a complete betrayal, it didn't make much sense in a few aspects. Expand
  24. Dec 30, 2012
    Just saw the movie yesterday, and it really dissapointed me, the plot was terrible, the actress that played heather wasn`t really convincing, the creatures introduced has nothing to do with heather history they made a lot of winks to all silent hill games and even tough their intentions were good it only confused the viewer.
  25. Nov 25, 2012
    too bad that this film has a low user score. I wanted to see this film but now I think, watching this film is a total waste of time. It continues with watching part one.
  26. Jan 7, 2013
    This movie is horrible as there is no point and the 3D ruined the entire movie+ Terrible voice acting...Never watch it or else you will feel shocked about its terrible graphics and voice acting
  27. Jan 22, 2013
    I don't know what to write. Honestly, I didn't like the movie. The first part was perfect. It's still one of my favorite films, but Mr. Michael J. Bassets' creature didn't captured me at all, I didn't feel a bit of fear or horror. Some scenes looked ridiculous and awkward, especially the last fight between two monsters. Everything was happening so fast, the conversations were short, it looked like the makers didn't have time and they had to shorten the film, so it looks kind of pressed. I have never played Silent Hill 3, but i think those who played will like the fill.
  28. Mar 16, 2013
    I like the early game franchise, and actually really enjoyed the first movie. This one, however, just has nothing going for it. It moves away from the Silent Hill feel, for more of a standard Hollywood movie, and somewhere in the transition completely falls apart. The plot is of very low quality, and the acting is mediocre.
  29. Apr 21, 2013
    This was terrible. Really terrible. I have no idea what the director/screenwriters did the the cast to make them act so terribly, but whatever it was it must have been worse than any of the horrors in the film. The acting was just so, so utterly terrible especially from a pretty decent cast (Sean Bean for instance!) that I just can't wrap my head around it. That combined with a terrible script (although, it does stay pretty true to the game...) really destroys any dramatic element to the film.

Although it stays moderately true to the game as far as monsters and shocks go, it somehow seems to reduce them to a Buffy the vampire slayer regurgitation. Admittedly the first film wasn't amazing, but it did manage some genuine shocks (like the janitor) and managed to keep the intensely creepy vibe, whereas the monsters just looked ridiculous and not even moderately scary. So, although it may stay true the game in a lot of ways, it completely doesn't understand the 'vibe' of the silent hill series and the director would probably have had The Rock machine gunning down aliens in the middle of the hospital if he got the chance.

As a huge fan of the games this was an huge disappointment, especially after the very solid first movie.
  30. Jun 10, 2013
    Awful. All I have to say is awful. "What do you expect Voice, a good video game to movie adaptation?" No, I expect a rather decent one or one that is at least watchable. I am glad that I brought my girlfriend at the time or else I would be clawing my eyes out hoping that Pyramid Head would rip me in half. I enjoyed the first silent hill movie because it was unique in the sense that it looked like someone was playing a video game. This piece of trash totally took that out and went their own path. The first one is probably the best video game to movie I have ever seen. This one was garbage. It deserves nothing higher than a 0. There were no scary parts nor were there any parts that made the movie redeemable. All the things that it was going to do, it didn't do. I was wanting a god boss battle. What do I get instead? Pyramid Head being a protagonist and killing the things that worship him. 0/10 Expand
  31. Jul 16, 2013
    I'm honestly surprised and saddened at how many users gave this a positive review. The movie was riddled with awful plot twists, some of the worst effects I've ever seen, and moments that seemed entirely pointless. The worst part is probably the ending where they spot light the horrible effects and at the climax of it all they throw away everything you watched by acting as if it were no big deal. The only thing I can imagine being worse than this is the sequel. *shivers* Hopefully that day never comes. Expand
  32. Feb 16, 2013
    Welcome to silent hill...a doomed town full of lost and tormented souls never to enjoy another moment of happiness all because of a little girl(demon) denies them of this simple pleasure....oh I'm sorry I'm not talking about the people in the movie...I meant the people(like me) who wasted their money to see this vomit inducing....cheaply rushed train wreck that isn't worth the attention of a squirrel fart!! Good God this movie is bad althought the first movie wasn't perfect(my score 7/10) its far beyond this crapfest!!...so as usual the good: ENDING CREDIT'S(IF YOU LAST THAT LONG BEFORE TURNING OFF THE DVD PLAYER) Now the gut ripping...soul sucking....CASH STEALING BAD PARTS.....EVERYTHING BEFORE THE ENDING CREDITS....I MEAN WHY WASTE MY TIME TELLING YOU HOW BAD THE ACTING WAS BESIDES SEAN BEAN(GREAT GUY..LOVED HIM IN THE MANIC KILLER...THE HITCHER)Why waste my time telling you that you only see Alessa in THREE SHORT SCENES....Why waste my time telling you how they basicly killed almost all the characters in about 7mins(the dectective...girl in the mall)why waste my time telling you there virtually NO CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT...why waste my time saying how they just RUSHED THE MOVIE JUST TO GET TO THE ENDING...pyramid head is only in about three scenes(if you count the dream when he's at the amusement park)then he struggles to beat a monster with claws in the final scene? Why the hell did lenard pick up heather? I mean where was he taking her? I thought he wanted to kill her but he knocks her out then carries her until she regains consciousness then kills him while he tries to RUN AWAY? My God...how stupid was that scene!? The great carrie-anne moss....aka Trinity...was also under used....as well as daliha as she's been reduced to ONE SCENE?!....TOTAL RUSH JOB....SMH....I will say(reluctantly) that certain aspects of the game was retained but why mention it....the director somehow destroys any(IF NOT ALL)the good that silent hill has to offer...I hate to say this but....I'D RATHER SUFFER THROUGH THE GLITCH-FEST THAT IS SILENT HILL DOWNPOUR THAN THIS ATROCIOUSLY BAD ADAPTAION OF A ONCE GREAT VIDEO GAME SERIES THAN THIS MESS EVER AGAIN(SILENT HILL 3 WAS THE LAST GREAT GAME IN THE SERIES...HOMECOMING WAS JUST ABOVE GOOD) Stick with the first silent hill movie let this stay where it belongs.....OUT OF PEOPLES HOMES MINDS!!!! This is how the girl in the mall ends up in silent hill.......Heather:how did you get here? Unknown girl:I took a wrong turn....mannequin drags her off screaming....GOOD GOD.....Two guys taking Vincent to a surgery room....two guys pushes Vincent(who's strapped to the chair)in the room....nurses looks around to locate noise....two guys obviously to stupid to realize that there making too much noise.....nurses attacks(AND I QUOTE) KILLS one of the two guys.....the other guy is too stupid to realize his friend is being hacked to pieces even though he lays motionless on the floor(& is still being hacked to pieces) stupidly walks over say(& I QUOTE) stop it....move.....get away as if he is getting small bugs off his OBVIOUSLY DEAD FRIEND THEN HE HIMSELF GETS KILLED FOR BEING A COMPLETE MORON.....ITS SCENES LIKE THIS THAT WASTES THE ESSENCE OF SILENT HILL....How can you put one of the best enemy's in a video game(I'm talking about the nurses) in such a HORRIBLE SCENE? EVEN THE MANNEQUIN IS WASTED.....JUST LIKE THIS MOVIES POTENTIAL.......2/10 Expand
  33. Apr 3, 2013
    Three words. What. The EFF!? (metacritic sensors *shakes head). I'm so glad I didn't spend money going to see this in theaters. I thought the trailers looked more like a parody of silent hill, but upon seeing the movie it's even WORSE than I thought it would be. Not only does it completely massacre the content it's supposed to be paying tribute to, the movie is one of the worst I've ever seen in my entire life. The acting is terrible, script is phoned in, special effects are mediocre at best. It's not even remotely scary or suspenseful. The characters' roles are all rearranged, some characters who were important in the game were killed off within 5 minutes of first seeing them, with no lasting impact on the viewer whatsoever. Fan service was shoehorned in all over the place and with the exception of one moment toward the end, it always felt out of place. I seriously felt like I was watching a really bad fan fiction come to life. Probably the most common defense I see of this movie is that a movie adaptation can't hit all the exact plot points of what it's based on, or it wouldn't be interesting to people who've played the game already. That's true in some cases but definitely not this one. The reason people complain about the plot changes is because they don't add any new dynamics to the story, they just water it down and strip any meaning they once had or any purpose they served. The result is a mess of a bunch of different things that don't make sense together, and whatever does make sense turned out pretty damn insipid. Evil clowns eating flesh burgers? OOOH so thought provoking, I wonder what it represents. GAD... DAMMAT. No movie in history has pissed me off this badly. An absolute shame. Expand
  34. May 2, 2013
    Only for devoted fans, who can overlook all the cinematic failures of the movie. For the rest of us it is a mess. The acting, the characters, the plot and every other thing is just bad.
  35. Mar 14, 2013
    Awful. Looks cheap, terrible script, naff effects, abysmal acting and hap-hazard direction all make for a steaming pile. Gets 1 point for having Sean Bean in it.
  36. Mar 27, 2013
    They had the chance to make a very good sequel. Instead we got this... Huge, huge disappointment, i expected a whole lot more from this film. Even the exquisite atmosphere from the first film is missing.
  37. Jun 24, 2013
    This Movie is so bad I could barely finish Hollywood has to stop with making these awful video game adaptions stop butchering game franchises hollywood
  38. Jun 19, 2013
    Bad directed, poorly acted, disappointing special effects, and a confusing plot, are some of the things that make "Silent Hill Revelation 3D" a waste of time and money.
  39. Feb 4, 2014
    Se le echaron en ganas para hacer esta secuela algo decepecionante, nada que ver con la primera, para empezar senti que era una pelicula fans service, una protagonista sin carisma, unos personajes poco aprovechados, la trama de por si no es mala es que no supieron adaptarla, algunas escenas algo discolocadas, algunas escenas que destaco que tenia la escencia del videojuego pero aun asi, eso no significa que deba puntuarle con un 6 o a mas, la primera hora de la pelicula es aburrida no logro despertar mi interes por seguir viendola pero se que mejora un poco a partir de los 60 minutos, pero le falta mucho para que sea mejor que su predecesora. Expand
  40. Nov 15, 2013
    I give this a one solely because Of Akira's soundtrack. The weird thing about this film is, it is inexplicably bad. By that I mean it has all the ingredients to be a fantastic film, great actors, great director, crew, source material, it has it all. So I really don't know how it came out this badly. And for the people saying that the bad reviews are only given by people who didn't play the game, WRONG. I've played every Silent Hill game outside of the arcade game and that has no bearing on the fact that this film is terrible. It fails spectacularly on every level, in fact. The actors feel like they are completely phoning it in, the cgi monsters are so over the top they come off as comic rather than scary, and ya know what, I'm just going to say it, Why is Pyramid Head protecting Heather? Also why is he running rides at Lakeview? Why is Vincent suddenly a 20 something hipster love interest? And last but certainly not least, why on earth is the transition to the otherworld generally denoted here by mass amounts of melted saran wrap?

If this was a high school Halloween haunted house, it might be more acceptable, but for the price of a 3D theater ticket on opening night, it was a total ripoff. If you really just have an hour and a half you have to waste, stream it on Netflix. Better yet, watch "Deathwatch" One of the director's previous films, and oddly much more Silent Hillish.
  41. Apr 22, 2014
    The director doesn't know **** about horror, I am afraid. The movie was a disaster & again shamed the SH franchise. True horror is not about scaring you but masterfully messing with you - something you can appreciate than being throw waves of monsters and expecting to have a good time. Said very simply: true horror deals with human nature, not the monsters.
  42. Jun 23, 2014
    Hideous film and I saw it in 2D. Can't imagine how horrible it would be i 3D but it must be truly disgusting. Plenty of the gory bizarre special effects from the original have been routinely reintroduced in this hack driven abomination if there ever was one to predictable effect. The plot is dead basic and I think even the most diehard horror fan would find themselves debating whether to leave or not after the first ten goofy minutes of this hilarious nonevent of a movie. Its a shame that Sean Bean who can be one of the scariest actors out there is relegated to a small support role and isn't onscreen for very long. Very disappointing not even worthy of a Saturday marine escape movie status at the local mall. Staying in the food court and staring at nothing in particular with a coffee in front of you is a better bet than this truly awful film. Expand
  43. Nov 13, 2014
    "Silent Hill: Revelation" 10 Scale Rating: 1.5 (Terrible) ...

The Good: The effects for some of the creatures (which seemed to carry over from the first film) were decent.

The Bad: Just silly. While the first one was a pleasant surprise to me, this offering was horribly done. The story jumps around and is overly complex for a film of this nature. The creatures, which were not
    overused and kept mostly secretive in the first film, are in your face and overdone in this film. The acting was laughable and the obvious overuse of 3D (where EVERYTHING FLIES at you!) was annoying. Expand

Overwhelming dislike - based on 13 Critics

1. Reviewed by: George Bass
    Nov 4, 2012
    The nurse-monsters look cool - think HR Giger in Ann Summers kit - but the plot and burning fairgrounds are so OTT they dispel any chill factor.
  2. Reviewed by: Kim Newman
    Nov 4, 2012
    The first film was imperfect but solid as game-adaps go and fans revelled in its clammy shocks. No such luck this time out. Director Bassett oversees a vaporous horror sequel that rarely raises the pulse.
  3. Reviewed by: Marc Savlov
    Oct 31, 2012
    A knockoff in everything from style to story, it also suffers from 3-D effects that are dim and underwhelming, a maddeningly obtuse storyline, and performances that could have used some serious Herbert West-style reanimation.