8.4

1. Jan 15, 2013
    Was with it for first 2 acts. Completely fell apart and lost it's tone and believability in the third act. So much exposition just to get Deniro's friend to make a bet on them dancing (without ever having seen them dance)? Shoddy writing. Felt like a unique movie for the first 2/3 then a bad TV episode of Happy Days for the last third. Waste of a good start.
  2. Nov 30, 2012
    Let me start by saying I am from Philly, and I like Robert DeNiro a lot. That being said, this has to have been the worst movie I've seen in years. This is a shallow, predictable and uninteresting tale about highly unbelievable and implausible characters. The dialogue is contrived, the plot unrealistic and ridiculous, and the acting over-the-top. The creators of this movie tried to do too much. It could have been a serious story about a man recovering from mental illness and family strife, much like the excellent movie "The Fighter", or an excellent comedy about a dysfunctional and extreme family, much like "Meet the Parents." By attempting to combine both, the creators assured neither plot line was adequately developed, plausible or interesting. It was intellectually nauseating for me to watch this movie. Expand
  3. Dec 10, 2012
    This movie troubled me at a level 10 on a scale of 1 to 10. In my opinion, this movie's script was badly flawed and presented a dangerous and very serious mental disease in a completely unrealistic light. Yes, the movie has a predictable and idealistic end but the end is just not conceivable given the events and the time frame depicted in the movie. I have tried to figure how this movie got such a high rating from others, but have not come up with any plausible reason except that most people know absolutely nothing about the seriousness and difficulty persons with the mental disease depicted in this movies have in their lives dealing with the disease. Expand
  4. Jan 19, 2013
    Completely fell apart int he 3rd act. So many plot devices and contrivances to reach the underwhelming emotional finale. As over-hyped as the Eagles 2011 and 2012 seasons combined.
  5. Mar 15, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Please why does a movie that sucks so bad get an 8.2 score here From the very first scene you can tell that even Bradley Cooper doesn't know if this is a comedy or a drama. Bipolar my butt. He looks like an NFL quarterback, that is the shape he is in. The script is just beyond awful. And why did they throw Robert DeNiro into the mix Anyone who has ever seen a father and a son together know that they don't act like that...unless...it is a comedy, which it isn't. The ADD style of this movie and the constant babbling of everybody involved really go on your nerves after 7.5 minutes. I seriously start to doubt the ratings on here. I am pretty sure that Hollywood has an entire army of people who do nothing but rate up movies on sites like this one.
    And yes, why exactly WAS he wearing that modified garbage bag while running It was not even funny...
  6. Nov 23, 2012
    DeNiro & Cooper save a bit what is simply a real bad comedy, full of cliché and a Jennifer Lawrence way over the top and using a ridiculous voice. Russel always go for the easy joke, the movie never really try to explore the disease or disability. At the end it's just a nice story about a guy and a girl.
  7. Dec 4, 2012
    This review contains spoilers. This could have been a good movie if it knew where it wanted to go. The relationship struggling to overcome mental disease might have been worthwhile but the incessant need to reunite with the former wife and the ridiculous Eagles euphoria with stupid bets, ju-ju, and parlays not to mention a silly dance competition distracted the course of the movie and made it silly. So many things simply don't ring true because it tried to be more. Stupid and moronic bets are made, Eagles fans attack their own, a dysfunctional family is made so only for laughs, Copper goes berserk when ever the plot needs some stimulus, several other characters are possibly more disturbed than Cooper, Lawrence is basically conniving and dishonest to an extent, and who becomes a full blown slut just because their husband dies? I could go on with other aspects that distracted me but you get the point. This could have been better but it went for cheap laughs. Collapse
  8. Oct 23, 2013
    David O. Russell hasn't quite grasped a more careful idea of portraying mental illness within a dramedy. The transparent depiction inside a Hollywood, Oscar-baited film becomes clearer towards the end, and if he knew that this script would win awards then he possibly didn't try it convincingly enough. The ending was purely cringeworthy, it lost its likeability pretty quickly and the sentimental drama that is said to be cleverly executed and believable is actually riddled with cliches. The bipolar illness itself is treated as more of a side-issue it kills any chance of an even tone by switching it on and off when needed. The comedy fails to distract from these problems, making light of the real issues (with its subject and the plot itself) and acting as if this is what it truly means to have bipolar. Expand
  9. Jul 3, 2014
    Even though the acting is great, no one can deny that, the story simply fails to keep you interested through out. I wanted to like it but I simply couldn't. It was an awkward comedic drama that just wasn't funny.
  10. Jan 20, 2013
    This movie is smegma. Totally calculated and cynical, nonetheless managing to also be super vapid. Basically, it's a Sleepless In Seattle-style romantic comedy with a vaguely original "mental health" wrapping. You can call out all the most conventional and tired plot devices before they happen; and the ones you can't (like the dance-off) are unpredictable only because they are just so damn stupid and belong in another movie. Bradley Cooper is cute, but basically a WB-caliber actor. Hunger Games girl has a weird inauthenticity about her and she's just not believable as this character. I dunno what Robert Deniro is doing in this movie, but he makes the best of a bad situation, at least. I would fear for us as a society if I truly believed this stinker would pass the test of time. Fortunately, I am old enough to know it won't. Expand
  11. Feb 8, 2013
    Annoying camera work, annoying characters, annoying actors, and annoying plot. I wouldn't be surprised if these actors actually act like their characters in real life. There's no point to this film.
  12. Mar 30, 2013
    actually to be honest i did not find and exiting thing in the movie there is no good (script ,bad actors except Bradly .bad music bad director )but the most exciting thing for me how Jennifer won the oscar.
    i do not trust in Oscar nomination.
  13. Jan 18, 2014
    I almost expected Bradely Cooper to run in place and slap his face ala "curley" of the three stooges every time he was about to flip out. Overly contrived and as a person who worked with mentally ill people for nineteen years, this movie does not come close to real mental illness.
  14. Mar 27, 2014
    I dont know why people are over rating a romatic comedy film and i really dont know why it had eight oscars nominees, the movie have anything at all, i dont like it.

1. Reviewed by: David Denby
    Nov 26, 2012
    Pretty much a miscalculation from beginning to end. [26 Nov. 2012, p.87]
  2. Reviewed by: Peter Bradshaw
    Nov 25, 2012
    Likable, watchable and has a nice supporting turn from Robert De Niro; I'm not sure I wouldn't rather watch this again than the macho acting in Russell's boxing drama "The Fighter."
  3. Reviewed by: Marc Mohan
    Nov 23, 2012
    A funny, believable film about the ability of even the damaged and imperfect to earn a little happiness.