8.3

1. Jan 11, 2013
    Went to see this having NO idea what it was about. All I knew was that it was in Philadelphia. Couldn't have enjoyed this film more! It was wonderful. The first third of the movie leaves one curious as to where the story is going to go, and yes, it is somewhat uncomfortable. But it is supposed to be. Once the story gets going it is just a fun ride. The entire cast was amazing. The only negative I could give is that the cast didn't sound like they were in Philly. Philadelphians do have a certain accent after all. This is the movie of the year in my opinion. Expand
  2. Jan 2, 2013
    A very different kind of love story that cashes in a little on the ballroom dancing craze while romanticizing mental illness through the genuinely perfect performances of Bradley Cooper and Jennifer Lawrence. Great acting helps this film overcome some cliche moments and a few peculiar writing devices. Chris Tucker, Robert De Niro and Jackie Weaver all work extremely hard to patch over some of the more predictable moments, making this film a must see. Expand
  3. Dec 27, 2012
    "Silver Linings Playbook" is a film of terrific comedy, drama, and a touch of affection; with two phenomenal performances from its leads, particularly that of the sensational Ms. Lawrence, this dramedy is enchanting and inviting to a contenting result.
  4. Jan 21, 2013
    Silver Linings Playbook is why we go to the movies and I can't remember the last film that evoked such a spectrum of emotions. I grabs you early on and doesn't let go, largely due to it's brilliant performances (a huge nod to Jennifer Lawrence), and culturally relevant screenplay. You will laugh, cry and cheer during several of it's dysfunctionally delicious segments and you'll fall in love with at least a couple of its characters. Backed by an outstanding soundtrack, SLP is one of those films that you'll recommend to everyone you know. Yes, it's that good and thank g-o-dnmovies like this are still being made. It will most assuredly do well at this year's Academy Awards. Expand
  5. Jan 15, 2013
    Best movie of the winter season. well-balanced take on mental illness. it accelerates where other movies have stalled dealing with the same subject matter. its worth the time and money to see this pic and I dont say that lightly as i watch most movies online.
  6. Jan 1, 2013
    An inspiring and uplifting movie, I loved every second of it. The whole cast was amazing showed a 100% believable working class family with many (seriously, many) quirks but was incredibly endearing. Even though there were few surprises throughout the movie and everything amounted to a foreseeable ending, the journey along the way is one that I would watch a thousand times. Every aspect of this movie equally brought a great story and it is one movie I think nobody should miss. Expand
  7. Jan 7, 2013
    I'm always pleased when a film flies under the radar and ends up being the top movie of the year for me. This film is raw, genuine, and simply romantic.
  8. Jan 21, 2013
    This movie is simply amazing. Great use of the camera, very different, but good! The acting was superb, Jennifer Lawrence and Bradley Cooper are great. The use of Led Zeppelin music made it near perfect.
  9. Jan 20, 2013
    This movie is smegma. Totally calculated and cynical, nonetheless managing to also be super vapid. Basically, it's a Sleepless In Seattle-style romantic comedy with a vaguely original "mental health" wrapping. You can call out all the most conventional and tired plot devices before they happen; and the ones you can't (like the dance-off) are unpredictable only because they are just so damn stupid and belong in another movie. Bradley Cooper is cute, but basically a WB-caliber actor. Hunger Games girl has a weird inauthenticity about her and she's just not believable as this character. I dunno what Robert Deniro is doing in this movie, but he makes the best of a bad situation, at least. I would fear for us as a society if I truly believed this stinker would pass the test of time. Fortunately, I am old enough to know it won't. Expand
  10. Feb 8, 2013
    Annoying camera work, annoying characters, annoying actors, and annoying plot. I wouldn't be surprised if these actors actually act like their characters in real life. There's no point to this film.
  11. Jan 26, 2013
    I would first like to say, this is my favorite movie that is in the line up for the oscars. It has the best acting I have seen in years and deserves to be the first movie in 31 years to be nominated in all four acting categories. The direction is spot on rendering the audience to the emotional complexities of this movie and along with the writing renders your brain to its mercy. The commercials do not explain this movie at all. It is so much better than a simple rom-com. It is a heartfelt interpretation of these peoples lives with indie cinematography that works because of their repetition and delivery. The editing is dependent on how the main characters think in this movie and brings fast cuts to an honorable new high. This movie is one of my favorite movies of all time and it has not a single problem in it. Expand
  12. May 31, 2013
    It is funny, intense and a different Romantic comedy than others, it is creative and smart, with amazing plot and great acting coming from Cooper and Lawrence, I enjoyed it as a stand out, and positively different than other Rom-Com
  13. MGO
    Jan 6, 2013
    ' Silver Linings Playbook ' is a moving piece of success that is more than worth the watch. Is it groundbreaking enough to earn a 10/10 ? Well no, because the story does have some redundancy to it that could have been avoided or deleted. However, the chemistry between excellent casting, equivalently appreciated directing and an exceptional screenplay - proposes the right scenario for an acclaim ( as achieved ). Personal Charting of Films Seen ( current ) ; 1. Silver Linings Playbook : 8[.5]/10 ( positive )
    2. Django Unchained : 8/10 ( positive )
    3. Jack Reacher : 4/10 ( I hope the novel was better )
  14. Jan 13, 2013
    Great little "love" story but not a soppy like most. I say love story in its lightest term as it is more comedy orientated. Quirky and captivating with dark humour and a great cast! Don't miss out
  15. Jan 13, 2013
    An amazing romantic dramedy, this movie kept me smiling the entire 2 hours. So simply and well made, the movie sucks you in from the very beginning. These actors most definitely earned their oscar noms!
  16. Jan 13, 2013
    The movie is excellent. I walked into it thinking it was a chick flick, and while it is in a way, it's got a nice refreshing twist to the basic formula and overall it's a great movie. Jennifer Lawrence was great but her performance was outshined by Bradley Cooper, whom was awesome. It sits in my 2012 top 5 comfortably, highly recommended. Great writing, and as long as you walk in thinking it'll be okay you'll walk out thinking it's amazing. I don't really understand the low review scores, maybe it's something to do with ignorance or dislike of great writing, but the movie itself is raw, real, and pretty down to earth. Stop comparing it to 'The Fighter', I don't understand the comparison, but it's not the same movie. It's a great movie in its own, so watch it, and enjoy the chemistry between the 37 year old Bradley Cooper and 21 year old Jennifer Lawrence. Expand
  17. Jan 16, 2013
    The film and its protagonist share a fine similarity. They are at once both imperfect but immediately likable. A masterpiece that doesn't swagger across the screen on a cloud of self importance rather meanders with grace and wit.
  18. Jan 21, 2013
    Storyline: When Pat (Bradley Cooper) who is bi-polar finds his wife with another man he ends up in hospital. His parents then look after him after his release and struggle through his illness with him as he meets the beautiful Tiffany(Jennifer Lawrence) with her own problems and together they sort out there lives. A complicated story which has some great characters like Robert De Niro who plays Pat's Dad. This is the role that shows us why De Niro is one of the true greats.

Acting: Bradley Cooper raises the bar and shows that he is a mature and very capable actor. I'm not surprised he has the Academy nomination this year. Jennifer Lawrence also done extremely well with a passionate portrayal of a recent widow trying to gain back her dignity. De Niro was also on form, and I hope he stays this way because he has been in some not so good movies recently. I thought that the Casting by Lindsey Graham (Looper, End Of Watch) and Mary Vernieu (Perks Of Being a Wallflower) was amazing as everyone was so perfect in there roles.

Direction: David O Russell who's last film was the excellent 'The Fighter' done so well bringing this project together with such amazing results. He has given us just the right amount of feeling, humour, sadness, right to the last frame and coupled it with a great soundtrack.

Production: Another example of a low budget blockbuster. At $21 million this will have the studios loving it and who can blame them. Everyone's a winner, especially the audience.

Conclusion: Easily one of the best of 2012. A must see movie that with the help of Jennifer Lawrence is a delight to watch. Highly Recommended.

Score: 8.5/10
  19. Jan 19, 2013
    Bradley Cooper establishes that he's far more than a pretty face and Jennifer Lawrence solidifies her place as best young actress around. Anyone with any experience with bipolar disorder or just off the charts crazy behavior will appreciate this movie. Enjoyed the subtle and not so subtle statements on every ones reality. Even though the shell of the story was somewhat rom/com, it was so much more. The "normal" folks all exposed their own dysfunction along the way, but Cooper and Lawrence embrace theirs and approach them from an honest (if somewhat delusional) place. Truly charming. Good humor and a number of warm moments. Will watch this a number of times in the future, I suspect. Expand
  20. Feb 28, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Maravillosa, sensible, sencilla, real, divertida, solo cosas buenas se merece Los juegos del destino. Me sorprendí al ver entre los nominado al Oscar una película que creí ver miles de veces, comedia romántica cursi, predecible, cero innovadora. Pero que equivocada estaba, Los juegos del destino tiene todos los ingredientes para que por fin una película de su género saque la cara y demuestre que no se tiene que llegar al colmo del sentimentalismo y del ridículo para que una película sea profunda, seria y además graciosa.

La película se basa en el libro del mismo nombre (The Silver Linings Playbook) escrita por Matthew Quick se centra en la vida de Pat (Brandly Cooper) un profesor que sufre del trastorno bipolar y que tiene una grave crisis a raíz de la infidelidad de su esposa, después de salir de una institución mental se empeña en recuperarla a como dé lugar. Es difícil ver a Cooper en un papel diferente al de perdedor, sin embargo hace una gran actuación, tanto para merecer una nominación al Oscar y el reconocimiento de la crítica que lo coloca ahora en otro nivel.

Pat conoce a Tiffany, una viuda con graves problemas de autoestima y para nada estable en su vida sentimental, Jennifer se luce con esta actuación ganándose ayer el premio Oscar a mejor actriz, sus apariciones tienen fuerza y realmente nos hace creer que está loca de remate, con varias escenas impecables, Tiffany se gana al público que no sabe que esperar de ella y que es totalmente impredecible en la mayor parte de la película.

Robert Deniro y Jacki Weaver ambos nominados a los premios de la academia, hacen magníficas interpretaciones como los padres de Pat, ellos quieren apoyarlo después de la dura crisis que tuvo, pero esto es más difícil de lo que esperaban porque debe luchar con sus propios trastornos personales que combinados con los de Pat hacen una mezcla bastante divertida que en varias escenas lograron hacerme reír demasiado.

Todos los personajes secundarios están perfectamente estructurados al igual que los principales, la película está bien dirigida, tiene un guion excelente y actuaciones de primer nivel, la película con el mejor reparto del año.

La debilidad de la cinta recae al final, un final sin sorpresas que a muchos nos gusta a otros no tanto, pero ahí está, con corazoncitos a su alrededor la pareja logra solucionar los graves problemas expuestos en el desarrollo de la trama, dejándonos bien claro que sin importar como decidan traducir el título de la película en los juegos del destino siempre hay que ver el lado bueno de las cosas.

Película imperdible, en cualquier formato, cine, DVD, PPV, recomendada al 100%
  21. Jan 20, 2013
    The movie was not like I thought it would be, it was better. The romance in the movie is different but catching. The movie offers a different but splendid display of comedy, romance and life.
  22. Aug 4, 2013
    A surprisingly enjoyable movie. Why is the fact that it's good a surprise? Well because of its genre. Romantic comedies, and romantic movies in general are usually bland, mushy, poorly directed, and boring. Usually it's only possible for girls to enjoy them, hence the nickname, chick-flick. (Girl's, don't take that as an insult.) But Silver Linings playbook is extremely well acted by all of its cast, funny, offbeat, and a lot of the time even successfully dramatic. It's screenplay does fall victim to a couple of cleches, such as the dreadful "I love you" moment very close to the end, but for the most part it's smart, perceptive, and very good at avoiding dangerous pitfalls. The direction for the most part is very good, except for too many zoom ins, and the characters are likeable. The fact that almost all of them suffer from a mental disorder makes them even more interesting. Silver Linings Playbook pulls off the most impossible feat a romantic movie can. Being a good movie. It's also another movie which should have beat Argo for best picture. I'm sorry Argo. I liked you, but you didn't deserve it. Expand
  23. Jan 24, 2013
    Silver Linings Playbook is a heartfelt, funny, and well-acted drama that shows off its brilliant cast and proves to be David O. Russell
  24. Feb 11, 2013
    Really loved this movie as a whole. Lawrence and Cooper showed great chemistry together and were able to craft a story that epitomizes balancing crazy with even more crazy. Felt like a genuine story about life and how we all need a little bit of abnormality once in a while.
  25. Jan 30, 2013
    Jennifer Lawrence slam-dunked every part of this movie. She has officially broken herself away from Catnip, and broadened her horizons to psychotic, sarcastically hilarious, bad-girl while still holding up her sex-appeal. Bradley Cooper--- Great acting. He couldn't compare to Jennifer though. The story line was amazing. A little slow, at first, but it leaves you at the edge of your seat the rest of the time. Many people who gave this bad ratings has either A) harsh feelings about certain football teams or B) only watched the first act. It's a movie I would NOT miss out on. Expand
  26. Jun 26, 2013
    A sweet, simple film that has the power to captivate you through the performances of it's cast. The narrative follows the basic format of any boy/girl love story but what makes this picture so pleasantly unique from the rest is the fact that it doesn't try too hard to remind you of the genre that it conforms to. The use of music in Silver Linings is remarkably enthralling, in particular the use of Led Zeppelin's "What Is and What Should Never Be" when we first get a glimpse of Pat's mental fragility. Having only recently been a David O. Russell fan since his boxing biopic "The Fighter", I was anxious as to what Silver Linings would bring to 2012 and whether or not my anticipation would end in disappointment but thankfully it most certainly didn't and if anything, left me admiring O. Russell's directional ability even more. In short, Silver Linings is a splendid movie, worthy of a watch and one that will not disappoint. Expand
  27. Oct 25, 2013
    this movie brings a fresh air to the romantic comedies because with a simple story and great performances especially lawrence can conquer the public..
  28. Feb 8, 2013
    Really enjoyed this movie. The chemistry between Cooper and Lawrence is great as well as the supporting cast. It comes as the highest compliment from me that you forget you're watching actors, but rather real people. Neither the comedy or drama aspects ever feel stale and you are in it for the whole ride.
  29. Feb 18, 2013
    Wow, what a weekend of movies I had! Watching Intouchables, Seven Psychopaths and SLP in a row really made my Sunday. Pretty late that night I watched SLP. I almost decided not to... Was it the right moment? Ain't I too tired? Was it my kind of movie at all? Yes it was. Bradley Cooper and Jennifer Lawrence really show great performances and proof how talented they are. The story is quite original yet not unpredictable. The movie includes laughs, drama and some great dialogues. Also it's nice to see good 'ol Robert de Niro back in decent action as a superstitious football fanatic! This movie isn't for everyone but if you're into movies like Garden State or Midnight in Paris, im sure you'll spend a good 2 hours with this one. Expand
  30. May 21, 2013
    It is too rare that a movie manages to achieve more than double as much of all feelings by the first half than another one of its genre. "Silver Linings Playbook" is not only a fantastic movie with wel-shot scenes and amazing casting, but in also makes you feel with the characters for whom you actually start to feel some sort of sympathy. 10+ for sure.
  31. May 22, 2013
    the first 30 minutes of the movie start off fantastic great performances solid story the dialog is great and the screenplay is the best.
    but then the movie does not make sense after that.
    the scene after the restaurant is confusing she kept screaming at the street "he's harassing me" and then she said it was a joke and tried to calm him down ,
    i kept scratching my head during the scene
    but you know whatever.
    so the second bomb is Robert De Niro offering the bet and that was the worst 14 minutes in the movie.
    and the deceivingly happy ending is awkward it was like watching a home made movie.
    and that's just sad because the movie start off very well but i don't know what happened ,
    it's like David O. Russell was trying to film the movie entirely in one week start off good but then decided to rush it.
  32. Jun 18, 2013
    My second favorite film of 2012. A movie that deals with the issue of bipolar disorder in a way that shows the way it can change someone's life, but also shows a funny and romantic side.
  33. Mar 7, 2014
    The chemistry of the cast cannot be beat and the performances are top notch that make this a very enjoyable look into the lives of those with mental illness. I give this a solid 77.1 out of 100.
  34. Mar 24, 2013
    Tiffany Maxwell is clearly an Oscar worthy character. The film, however, appears to be missing something.
  35. Mar 30, 2013
    actually to be honest i did not find and exiting thing in the movie there is no good (script ,bad actors except Bradly .bad music bad director )but the most exciting thing for me how Jennifer won the oscar.
    i do not trust in Oscar nomination.
  36. Apr 2, 2013
    This movie was a joy to watch; Jennifer Lawrence and Bradley Cooper were fantastic and i was especially pleased to see Deniro playing a more interesting character. Highly recommended!
  37. Apr 14, 2013
    This film should have won Best Film at the Oscars in my opinion. I absolutely loved this movie and the acting of the wonderful cast. It was just amazing seeing the portrayal of these emotional characters on screen.
  38. Apr 19, 2013
    I love this movie so much, both my best friend and I have seen it more than once at the cinema. It's primarily a drama, not a comedy as some people have advertised. Best drama I have seen.
  39. May 10, 2013
    The film tackles a thematic adult and complicated, difficult to approach, but in the hands of The Russell emocinantemente it is comical and vulgar because several expletives, but performances by Cooper and Lawnrence make everything very sensitive and funny.
  40. May 21, 2013
    It's Oscar nominee for best picture of the year that fact alone matters great deal, outstanding acting(Bradley Cooper delivers his best), interesting and very realistic story makes you care about it's characters! This is must own
  41. Apr 26, 2013
    Very nice movie. My girlfriend make me watch, but what a good surprise.
    I think the history was well prepared with drama and some fun. The actors fit on it very well.

That movie worth.
  42. May 18, 2013
    This movie is really good.Even though it is kinda predictable,it has a great story,interesting characters and shows how people can change from crazy to normal.
  43. May 4, 2013
    The best movie of 2012. An amazing dramedy which pulls together bipolar teachers and a dance contest with a crazy girl in a way that you would never expect from the director of The Fighter. The funniest and saddest movie I've seen in a long time. This movie, while amazing and artistic, was extremely unappreciated by both the oscars and the golden globes. Still, this is one of my all time favorite movies. Expand
  44. May 19, 2013
    Jennifer Lawrence is one of the best actresses of her age.
    In this movie she acted awesome as always!
    Just sometimes the movie is a little slow-moving but in conclusion its a movie with great actors and many funny moments!
  45. May 22, 2013
    A great film that isn't afraid to have a main character who is a little off his rocker.
    Bipolar disorder, OCD and other mental illnesses are far too common in life, and rarely seen in the cinema.
    To take characters, give them real life problems, and throw them into a romantic genre film and let them scream, fight, dance, and love is to bring those characters to life. Bravo.
  46. Dec 28, 2013
    Esta pelicula me gusto mucho, tuvo comedia, drama y romance."Silver Linings Playbook" tiene un buen argumento y un buen guion para presentar, con buenas actuaciones de Bradley Cooper y Jennifer Lawrence.
  47. May 27, 2013
    By far the sweetest, funniest, and critically well-rounded movie of the year, Silver Linings Playbook reinvents the long suffering romantic comedy genre due to its sensitive direction, phenomenal screenplay, and best ensemble cast of the year. Featuring a breakthrough performance from a once ridiculed Bradley Cooper, David O. Russell had distinguished himself with this film as one of the best directors working. Robert DeNiro's impressive performance has shown us that he can find a balance between meeting the Fockers and Ray LaMotta, and Jennifer Lawrence has made herself a gem of American cinema. There is no doubt in my mind that any future work from either O. Russell or any members of the ensemble cast will be nothing short of extraordinary. Expand
  48. May 30, 2013
    As a fan of hearty movies, I had to rate this film 10 out of 10. The movie is witty, emotional, funny, satisfying, well acted, well directed, well written and just plain awesome. The two lovable main characters Pat and Tiffany played by Bradley Cooper and Jennifer Lawrence are just amazing, and they made me think that maybe there's a little crazy in all of us. So I loved the movie, and I recommend it to all movie goers out there because Silver Linings Playbook is flawless. Expand
  49. May 30, 2013
    I really enjoyed this movie. The main actors selected were perfect. I thought it was fun and light-hearted. It had some real-life issues that a lot of people deal with, like death and split-up marriages, so I think many people can relate. There is always a silver lining to any situation, and this movie explains this exactly.
  50. Jun 1, 2013
    I am not a person of many words, however watching this film stirred something inside of me. Few days ago my "big" reveal was Jennifer Lawrence so I was drawn to this movie because of her, however what I found was something that left me astonished. It was really heartwarming story of love. The great performance was put in by almost everyone but I have to say that the two leads in this movie did a terrific job. They showed what seemed to be an unstable character played by Bradley Cooper, and than they introduced Tiffany who was so out of the blue for me. She is unpredictable one moment she seems normal and the next she is telling her most intimate confessions which is one of the best things for me in this movie. No, the story does not reinvent the genre it is predictable but in this case the story falls into background thanks to masterful characters who all manage to find a place for themselves so they can shine. Robert De Niro did great as a father who only now manages to see that perhaps he wasn't the best father in the world.

All in all it is a great story, It's not your a type of romantic comedy that is seen all the time, the emphasis here is much more on the romance part than it is on the slightly present comedy in the character of Danny or Pat's reaction to reading the Ernest Hemingway book.

All in all I was positively surprised by how much I liked the movie considering I haven't been into the overdone "Romantic Comedy"-Genre for a while now but like I said while it doesn't reinvent the genre it's still a great movie that isn't generic in any way or form except for the concept of the story.

A must watch in my opinion for fans and non-fans of this genre.
  51. Jun 4, 2013
    I really liked this movie, it’s not the usual romantic comedy. The plot is really entertaining but what I enjoyed the most is the acting, Cooper is great but who really surprised me is Lawrence, totally amazing.
  52. Jul 18, 2013
    Silver Linings Playbook was a big surprise to me. It was an interesting romantic comedy and drama at the same time. The plot was really good and it kept you the interest throughout the whole movie. It has its funny moments that will make you laugh out loud and some moments that will make you feel a little sad. Bradley Cooper and Jennifer Lawrence made a great couple and they were brilliant actors in that film. They deserved an Oscar. Robert de Niro was good. On of the top ten movies of that kind. You will love that film and you will not regret watching it though at the begining you don't really understand what's going on. Expand
  53. Jun 14, 2013
    This is a tough one for me to review, as I'm not much of a rom-com guy. The only three that I really like, when I think about it, are When 'Harry Met Sally,' 'While You Were Sleeping,' and 'He Said, She Said.' To be honest, only the first of those three is a classic (a 10). Silver Linings Playbook is in the company of the other two, what I would call near-classics, so I have to give it an 8.

Jennifer Lawrence deserves all the accolades she is accumulating. She shines even in sub-par movies, like 'House at the End of the Street.' Actually, the 'star' actors are all great, which isn't always the case, is it? The comedy is dark in tone but not as harsh as you might expect, given the situation. Overall, the tone is light, and the mood is feel-good. In that sense, even if the premise is original and 'edgy,' the film delivers what most people want from a rom-com.

So, why not a 10? My suspension of disbelief was jarred on a couple of occasions. I don't want to give any spoilers, so I'll only say that the set-up for the climax the scene that sets up the stakes of the climax is particularly wince-inducing for a number of reasons. Hopefully you won't feel the same way. Also, some actions, or the presence of certain characters, seem awfully convenient. Lastly, several supporting characters, particularly a recurring policeman, are rather one-dimensional. I can take that last issue with a grain of salt, however, as I consider that acceptable for the genre. Still, more depth and soul to the secondary characters would have increased my engrossment in (and rating of) the movie.
  54. Jun 18, 2013
    Silver Linings Playbook is cute, sweet and really good, with an amazing acting, and a fitting cast, the story is original somehow, and some scenes are really intense, the movie is more of a talky, but overall it is one of the best movies of 2012.
  55. Jun 20, 2013
    Outstanding film.Jennifer Lawrence was outstanding in this film.Jennifer Lawrence won well-deserved award.Robert DeNiro and Bradley Cooper were outstanding too.Jacki Weaver was good but she didn't deserve the nomination.David O. Russell wrote amazing screenplay.
  56. Jun 22, 2013
    Magnificent chemistry between Cooper and Jennifer define this heartwarming romantic drama. Solid writing and pacing make it an absolute joy to watch plus one of Robert Di NIro's finest performance acts as icing on the cake! Totally worthy of all the praise and accolades
  57. Aug 12, 2013
    To some degree, relating to the situations and conditions of the main characters in Silver Linings Playbook may increase your overall enjoyment of the film. This is a heading that anyone should acknowledge before pressing play.

With that out of the way, what this film is, at its heart, is a romantic comedy that does certain things well and others poorly. The on-screen chemistry between
    Bradley Cooper and Jennifer Lawrence, whose relationship is a focal point of the film, is jagged at best; and this is to the film's benefit, as you watch their interactions unfold. The father-son relationship between Cooper and Robert DeNiro is almost completely unbelievable, and if this film has any sour sticking point, this is it. DeNiro's casting seems almost purely for name power, as if the filmmakers weren't confident enough in Cooper And Lawrence being attractive draws (which they undoubtedly are, Cooper perhaps more so now than DeNiro has been in years).

With the volatile relationship between Cooper and Lawrence, a great many of situations develop, some predictable, some not, but they all are arranged and constructed appropriately to tell a tale of adversity, perseverance, and the crazy moments in between. At times it feels forced, at others confused, but for many American families, this is life. I can relate, and I refer back to my opening paragraph as a reminder that so much of this film can either hit you in the heart or fly over your head depending on who you are. This is true of most art, but Silver Linings Playbook is a bit more focused, almost but not quite a "niche" film.

Overall, a great film, but anything resembling universal appeal is lost due to the subject matter and some unwarranted casting choices. But for those of us who can relate, to some degree, I do believe you'll feel the same as me; well worth the 2 hours.
  58. Jul 27, 2013
    Silver Linings Playbook. Where do i even begin? This is one my favorite movies of all time!!! its a hilarious, moving, dramatic piece of cinematography. All of this plus the amazing performances by Lawrence, Cooper, and all of the rest! this movie never ceases to entertain!!
  59. Jul 27, 2013
    The Slant reviewer is so happy with himself! He didn't fall for the "contrived" screenplay, the "lazy writing" or the simplistic characters. By golly, no one is going to pull the wool over _his_ eyes. Good for him... except he missed a tremendously entertaining film. Apparently, this reviewer is unable to see the touching humor in family relationships. Sit back and let this surprising film have its way with you. A delight from beginning to end. Expand
  60. Aug 10, 2013
    One of the best movies i have seen! It totally worth the 2 oscars. The movie was fantastic, the actors where great and the overal story was really good! Oh and one more thing, Jennifer Lawrence was gorgeous!
  61. Aug 11, 2013
    I loved this film. It has a unique sense of style. It's amazing. Jennifer Lawrence's character was great. And Bradley Cooper was great, the same goes with Jacki Weaver and Robert De-Niro.
  62. Aug 17, 2013
    I had mixed feelings about this piece As somebody who struggles with a mental illness, I went into this movie with mixed reviews seeing Bradley Cooper of the Hangover do the job as the main role was good because it was so much what I did not expect I appreciate that mental illness was handled yet I felt it was still sugar coated nonetheless as a love story it worked excellently and therefore the film is worth seeing Expand
  63. Sep 9, 2013
    Silver Linings Playbook was an amazing, inspirational, and fantastic movie. I loved this movie. The performances are solid--especially Jennifer Lawrence, Bradley Cooper, Robert De Niro, and Jacki Weaver. I was totally blown away by their performances. David O. Russell did a super-duper-great job. I loved the story. It was sweet, easy to understand, and touch our hearts. It combined a lot aspects; such as love, mental illness, craziness about football, dark background of the characters, but David could mix them really well. Jennifer Lawrence played a very different role from Winter's Bone and The Hunger Games, so it will take some scenes for you to recognize her well. Once you have recognized her, you will agree that she is one of the super-duper-talented young actress in Hollywood. Now, Silver Linings Playbook has been one of my favorite movie all the time. Expand
  64. Feb 19, 2014
    Silver Linings Playbook is one of the best films I've seen in recent memory. Cooper and Lawrence's quirky chemistry is just amazing and that really adds to the movie. De Niro gives one of his best performances in years, and plays his role as a temperamental but forgiving father really well. The whole movie is like a roller-coaster ride, and one worth taking. The romance aspect of the movie isn't sappy at all; instead, it's smart and realistic. The movie is just great, and one I recommend very highly. Expand
  65. Jan 18, 2014
    I almost expected Bradely Cooper to run in place and slap his face ala "curley" of the three stooges every time he was about to flip out. Overly contrived and as a person who worked with mentally ill people for nineteen years, this movie does not come close to real mental illness.
  66. Oct 5, 2013
    This film contains so many beautiful scenes and show us that there is realism because we can see ordinary people's problems. Also, Jennifer Lawrence, Bradley Cooper, Robert De Niro and Jacki Weaver played every character fantastically. I'm not a fan of David O. Russell but I have to admit he did a good job at directing.
  67. Mar 27, 2014
    I dont know why people are over rating a romatic comedy film and i really dont know why it had eight oscars nominees, the movie have anything at all, i dont like it.
  68. Dec 7, 2013
    It is a really interesting movie. It makes you to be attached to the screen from the first minute. I really appreciated Jennifer Lawrence's performance, her character's emotional changes were sensational during the film.
  69. Feb 6, 2014
    David O. Russell has said before that the plot does not matter and when watching this film you know he genuinely believes this to be true, because this film has so many plot holes in it that in five years it will slide into the last refuge of forgotten films created solely as Oscar bait. This film is meant to do no more than showcase actors, its development, plotting and writing fall almost to the wayside as we are subjected to actors (save for Deniro) who do not understand the mental illness their characters possess and attached with an ending that would normally be featured in cheesy 80's Patrick Swayze film.
    Frankly I would give the film roughly a 5 on the enjoyment scale, but the Poe scale gives it 6.5

Acting: 2/2
    Cinematography: 1/2
    Editing: 1.5/2
    Effects and Design 1/2
    Writing: 1/2
  70. Feb 8, 2014
    that's amazing love story..i feel it's not just a 2 hours movie it's like a book including 500 page..the relations and conversation was very real...i believe them..i believe the love between tiffany and pat
  71. Apr 7, 2014
    Writer / Director David O. Russell as always give us heartwarming movies like example american hustle . this movie is a whole lot of heart warming and love . that is a classic David o russell film . Grade A
  72. Mar 3, 2014
    When I heard Jennifer Lawrence had won the Best Actress Oscar for this film, I had to see it was deserved, and to an extent it surprisingly was! As for the film itself, it's good with it's sharp and slick humour but after a rather intense start, it starts to fizzle out into more of a usual rom-com which is rather frustrating. The shift in tone is probably meant to represent them bettering their lives etc. but it does feel a tad forced. Ultimately a forgettable film, but it's still pretty good. Expand

1. Reviewed by: David Denby
    Nov 26, 2012
    Pretty much a miscalculation from beginning to end. [26 Nov. 2012, p.87]
  2. Reviewed by: Peter Bradshaw
    Nov 25, 2012
    Likable, watchable and has a nice supporting turn from Robert De Niro; I'm not sure I wouldn't rather watch this again than the macho acting in Russell's boxing drama "The Fighter."
  3. Reviewed by: Marc Mohan
    Nov 23, 2012
    A funny, believable film about the ability of even the damaged and imperfect to earn a little happiness.