8.4

1. Jan 27, 2013
    Fresh and original, Silver Linings Playbook is my favorite film of 2012! It's a family drama, a romantic comedy, and a touching story of people suffering from mental illness, but all the while it transcends all these genres making SLP a unique movie experience. Powerfully acted by its leads Jennifer Lawrence and Bradley Cooper who gives the best performance of his career, as well as the supporting cast. Perfectly directed by David O Russel. Overall, just an amazing film that I absolutely loved. Expand
  2. Jan 27, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Silver Linings Playbook is a fun movie, with the usual compromises that touchy-feely family comedies have, especially when mixed with a heavy amount of clinical disfunctionalism.
    Most of the casting was fine, the script and work of the cast drew us in to the characters and the semi-plausible tale will bring tears to the eyes of the optimists in the audience.
    There was a little too much psychosis for me, but it was a fun two hours and the ending didn't disappoint.
  3. Jan 26, 2013
    I would first like to say, this is my favorite movie that is in the line up for the oscars. It has the best acting I have seen in years and deserves to be the first movie in 31 years to be nominated in all four acting categories. The direction is spot on rendering the audience to the emotional complexities of this movie and along with the writing renders your brain to its mercy. The commercials do not explain this movie at all. It is so much better than a simple rom-com. It is a heartfelt interpretation of these peoples lives with indie cinematography that works because of their repetition and delivery. The editing is dependent on how the main characters think in this movie and brings fast cuts to an honorable new high. This movie is one of my favorite movies of all time and it has not a single problem in it. Expand
  4. Jan 26, 2013
    I watched this movie after seeing clips of Jennifer Lawrence's acceptance speech @ the Golden Globes. First off, Jennifer Lawrence is adorable and what a nice a**. Her performance in this movie was spot on. I really enjoyed the scene in the home between her and Robert DeNiro. I didn't realize he was in this movie. That must have been so exciting for Jennifer Lawrence, to be able to work with Robert DeNiro, so early on in her career. I would guess working with him makes you bring your "A" game. That is also why I think Bradley Cooper brought the noise as well with his performance. Loved the dance scenes! This movie is more than a 'chick flick'. It is gripping, moving and a heartfelt love story that takes on so many problems people face in their own lives. Great performances by all and definitely worth the price of admission. Who knos fellas, you may even feel all warm inside at the end. Expand
  5. Jan 24, 2013
    Silver Linings Playbook is a heartfelt, funny, and well-acted drama that shows off its brilliant cast and proves to be David O. Russell
  6. Jan 23, 2013
    A sort of modern day When Harry Met Sally, if Harry and Sally were both diagnosed with bi-polar disorder. A funny adult comedy, not your average Kathrine Heigl (post-Knocked Up) rom-com. Nice to see a movie that is romantic, and yet is not a painstakingly dull story that induces the "ooohs and ahhs" from women viewers that love Nicholas Sparks.
  7. BKM
    Jan 23, 2013
    The main reason to watch Silver Linings Playbook is for the performances, particularly the two leads who have terrific chemistry. Bradley Cooper ventures out of his comfort zone and actually has to act instead of coasting by on his looks and Jennifer Lawrence is superb as usual. The two of them manage to hide a lot the movies flaws including it's third act problems as well as its reluctance to deal with mental illness in any meaningful fashion. Expand
  8. Jan 23, 2013
    Good performances. But very flawed and lots of lazy writing and direction. The scene were the "big bet" is so damn contrived and illogical that it's embarrassing and ruined everything they'd built in the first two acts. And it's freaking illogical. Anyone, especially a bookie knows a double or nothing bet is not a big deal, you just have to make another bet at the same number. You don't need to parlay it or give more points. Lazy lazy lazy.

I also like when Jennifer is listing the scores of the games she was with Cooper ... she mentions the Eagles beating the Seahawks 14-7. Well, they'd said earlier in the film that the Eagles were BEATING the Seahawks 27-10. WTF. How freaking lazy. There's also a scene where Jennifer is taping Cooper's shoe's with duct tape. But in the shot RIGHT BEFORE that his shoes ARE ALREADY TAPED. Lazy.
  9. Jan 22, 2013
    I love movies like this because it reflects just how messed up life can be sometimes. You may mess up and not get a second chance, so move on; improve yourself.

Bradley Cooper and Jennifer Lawrence play off each other wonderfully, both representing broken people who have had their lives completely drained by a previous episode. Robert De Niro is wonderful as the OCD father and the film
    really does ride the line of comedy and drama well. The most surprising part is how it got me rooting for the main characters, a rare-feat these days.

I would highly recommend it to anyone who is a fan of character-driven movies.
  10. Jan 21, 2013
    This movie is simply amazing. Great use of the camera, very different, but good! The acting was superb, Jennifer Lawrence and Bradley Cooper are great. The use of Led Zeppelin music made it near perfect.
  11. Jan 21, 2013
    I loved this movie. I don't usually like Bradley Cooper, but I thought he did great in this movie. Jennifer Lawrence stole the show, though. Her performance really made this movie.
  12. Jan 21, 2013
    Storyline: When Pat (Bradley Cooper) who is bi-polar finds his wife with another man he ends up in hospital. His parents then look after him after his release and struggle through his illness with him as he meets the beautiful Tiffany(Jennifer Lawrence) with her own problems and together they sort out there lives. A complicated story which has some great characters like Robert De Niro who plays Pat's Dad. This is the role that shows us why De Niro is one of the true greats.

Acting: Bradley Cooper raises the bar and shows that he is a mature and very capable actor. I'm not surprised he has the Academy nomination this year. Jennifer Lawrence also done extremely well with a passionate portrayal of a recent widow trying to gain back her dignity. De Niro was also on form, and I hope he stays this way because he has been in some not so good movies recently. I thought that the Casting by Lindsey Graham (Looper, End Of Watch) and Mary Vernieu (Perks Of Being a Wallflower) was amazing as everyone was so perfect in there roles.

Direction: David O Russell who's last film was the excellent 'The Fighter' done so well bringing this project together with such amazing results. He has given us just the right amount of feeling, humour, sadness, right to the last frame and coupled it with a great soundtrack.

Production: Another example of a low budget blockbuster. At $21 million this will have the studios loving it and who can blame them. Everyone's a winner, especially the audience.

Conclusion: Easily one of the best of 2012. A must see movie that with the help of Jennifer Lawrence is a delight to watch. Highly Recommended.

Score: 8.5/10
  13. Jan 21, 2013
    Silver Linings Playbook is why we go to the movies and I can't remember the last film that evoked such a spectrum of emotions. I grabs you early on and doesn't let go, largely due to it's brilliant performances (a huge nod to Jennifer Lawrence), and culturally relevant screenplay. You will laugh, cry and cheer during several of it's dysfunctionally delicious segments and you'll fall in love with at least a couple of its characters. Backed by an outstanding soundtrack, SLP is one of those films that you'll recommend to everyone you know. Yes, it's that good and thank g-o-dnmovies like this are still being made. It will most assuredly do well at this year's Academy Awards. Expand
  14. Jan 20, 2013
    The movie was not like I thought it would be, it was better. The romance in the movie is different but catching. The movie offers a different but splendid display of comedy, romance and life.
  15. Jan 20, 2013
    For me, this film worked at every level. It's funny, sad, tragic, compelling, screwed up and absolutely entertaining. Not a dull moment here and it's not even an action movie! Cooper + Lawrence are beautiful together and believable.
  16. Jan 20, 2013
    Well, honestly speaking, Silver Linings Playbook is the best romantic comedy-drama film I have watched in 2012. I'm not even exaggerating it, I'm not a fan of Hollywood romance but there comes a time when someone, out of the blue, does something marvelous. Congratulations to David O. Russell for writing and directing such a wonderful piece of story, which is imperfect, includes a dysfunctional family, two damaged persons and despite all those imperfections, it is a flawless and perfect story. Some romantic films seem predictable at times when you're watching them with complete attention but Silver Linings Playbook is unpredictable. You think something bad would happen in the next scene but it turns out to be the complete opposite. Hats off to Bradley Cooper and Jennifer Lawrence's excellent performances. I know how great of an actor Lawrence is, but the big surprise of this film is none other than Cooper; his character and its execution, his dialogues and expressions are wonderful, he has carried it out extremely well, I don't think anyone else would have done it in the same way. Here is an argument that the film doesn't have a powerful story and gets lame at times. My only response to that is this love story is told in such a beautiful way that you can easily ignore all the bad things, but there isn't a single bad thing about this film, for me. My expectations from this film were higher than the Mount Everest and yet it still surprised me with its ingenuity and beauty. The imperfection of its story and its characters is what makes it flawless and perfect and that is the sole reason I call it the best love story of 2012. Expand
  17. Jan 20, 2013
    Silver Lining Playbook is inspiring for those willing to let their guard down to the uncomfortable realities told by this story, and a tastefully effective display of emotional honesty.
  18. Lyn
    Jan 20, 2013
    It's no "Ordinary People," but I really enjoyed both the drama and comedy of this film about people just trying to survive in their different ways. And the fact that a competent cast managed to do the job in a mere two hours! Know it's not a "blockbuster," but it's less preachy than "Lincoln," doesn't embellish a real story like "Argo," is more relatable than "Zero," and has a soundtrack that's more enjoyable than 99 percent of the music in "Les Mis." Puzzled, though, by the Oscar nom for Jacki Weaver. She picks the son up at the hospital and that's about it -- kind of a zero compared with (say) Melissa Leo as the mom in "The Fighter." Expand
  19. Jan 20, 2013
    Just a little bit above the average. It's quite enjoyable, funny and likable and the performances are strong. I personally think that D.O'Russel's direction is what makes this lemonade so respectable. Still, even with the strong direction and catchy soundtrack, the screenplay, the dialogue and the whole atmosphere felt plastic and exaggerated and non-believable. And personally, I don't like how this fairy-tale depicts bipolar and depressed people. Oh, and is the Solatano family really dysfunctional? I never noticed that. Expand
  20. Jan 20, 2013
    This movie is smegma. Totally calculated and cynical, nonetheless managing to also be super vapid. Basically, it's a Sleepless In Seattle-style romantic comedy with a vaguely original "mental health" wrapping. You can call out all the most conventional and tired plot devices before they happen; and the ones you can't (like the dance-off) are unpredictable only because they are just so damn stupid and belong in another movie. Bradley Cooper is cute, but basically a WB-caliber actor. Hunger Games girl has a weird inauthenticity about her and she's just not believable as this character. I dunno what Robert Deniro is doing in this movie, but he makes the best of a bad situation, at least. I would fear for us as a society if I truly believed this stinker would pass the test of time. Fortunately, I am old enough to know it won't. Expand
  21. Jan 19, 2013
    Completely fell apart int he 3rd act. So many plot devices and contrivances to reach the underwhelming emotional finale. As over-hyped as the Eagles 2011 and 2012 seasons combined.
  22. Jan 19, 2013
    Bradley Cooper establishes that he's far more than a pretty face and Jennifer Lawrence solidifies her place as best young actress around. Anyone with any experience with bipolar disorder or just off the charts crazy behavior will appreciate this movie. Enjoyed the subtle and not so subtle statements on every ones reality. Even though the shell of the story was somewhat rom/com, it was so much more. The "normal" folks all exposed their own dysfunction along the way, but Cooper and Lawrence embrace theirs and approach them from an honest (if somewhat delusional) place. Truly charming. Good humor and a number of warm moments. Will watch this a number of times in the future, I suspect. Expand
  23. Jan 19, 2013
    Silver linings Playbook follows a certain formula and plays by the rule a bit, but it does so ten times better than your average rom com; thanks to its added layer of manic and genuinely dramatic elements. By directing and writing this film, David O
  24. Jan 17, 2013
    "Silver Linings Playbook" avoids all the rom-com pitfalls and clichés, a breath of fresh air to a stigmatized genre I typically evade. It is an unconventional, quirky, amusing comedy drama about troubled people looking for love, and one the best romantic comedies in recent memory.
    After a stint in a mental institution, former teacher Pat Solitano (Bradley Cooper) moves back in with
    his parents, and tries to reconcile with his ex-wife (Brea Bee), who has a restraining order against him. Pat is curiously confident and upbeat despite this because he's determined to repair the damage he's done to his life and surprise everyone by moving onward and upward. Things get more challenging when Pat meets Tiffany (Jennifer Lawrence), a mysterious girl with problems of her own. Tiffany offers to help Pat reconnect with his wife, but only if he'll do something very important for her in return. As their deal plays out, an unexpected bond begins to form between them, and silver linings appear in both of their lives.
    The phenomenal performances by Bradley Cooper, Jennifer Lawrence, and Robert DeNiro is what makes this film work so well. In addition, terrific supporting roles by Chris Tucker who works his motor-mouth with some of the best lines in the film, while Jacki Weaver as Pat's mom brings a little touch as any mother character would toward the son.
    David O Russell's screenplay is fantastic in the way it requires both father and son to face and deal with their mental problems together, through the Philadelphia Eagles, and a dance contest none the less. Addressing serious life issues with grit and emotion, injected with a great dose of humor throughout. The writing is sharp, witty and insightful with great character development. "Silver Linings Playbook" is ultimately a beautiful film about being comfortable with oneself, and approaching life with a sense of optimism despite shortcomings and setbacks.
  25. Jan 16, 2013
    The film and its protagonist share a fine similarity. They are at once both imperfect but immediately likable. A masterpiece that doesn't swagger across the screen on a cloud of self importance rather meanders with grace and wit.
  26. Jan 16, 2013
    Such great dialogue that it deserves an Oscar - and makes you realize how starved you are for intelligent dialogue in movies. Bradley Cooper and Jennifer Lawrence have surprisingly good chemistry and this helps you overcome the desire to (occasionally) slap them silly.
  27. Jan 15, 2013
    Best movie of the winter season. well-balanced take on mental illness. it accelerates where other movies have stalled dealing with the same subject matter. its worth the time and money to see this pic and I dont say that lightly as i watch most movies online.
  28. Jan 15, 2013
    Silver Linings Playbook has great acting, some wonderful scenes, and overall characters who you root for. The problem is that this doesn't all come together. It feels like by adding another few scenes might have brought everything together. But in the version I saw in the theater, something was simply missing.
  29. Jan 15, 2013
    Finally! a unique movie that combines elements of real life with the awesome and I mean Oscar winning performance of Bradley Cooper. Also the Led Zepp song was awesome. I give it a Perfect score, done movie of the year
  30. Jan 15, 2013
    Was with it for first 2 acts. Completely fell apart and lost it's tone and believability in the third act. So much exposition just to get Deniro's friend to make a bet on them dancing (without ever having seen them dance)? Shoddy writing. Felt like a unique movie for the first 2/3 then a bad TV episode of Happy Days for the last third. Waste of a good start.
  31. Jan 13, 2013
    The movie is excellent. I walked into it thinking it was a chick flick, and while it is in a way, it's got a nice refreshing twist to the basic formula and overall it's a great movie. Jennifer Lawrence was great but her performance was outshined by Bradley Cooper, whom was awesome. It sits in my 2012 top 5 comfortably, highly recommended. Great writing, and as long as you walk in thinking it'll be okay you'll walk out thinking it's amazing. I don't really understand the low review scores, maybe it's something to do with ignorance or dislike of great writing, but the movie itself is raw, real, and pretty down to earth. Stop comparing it to 'The Fighter', I don't understand the comparison, but it's not the same movie. It's a great movie in its own, so watch it, and enjoy the chemistry between the 37 year old Bradley Cooper and 21 year old Jennifer Lawrence. Expand
  32. Jan 13, 2013
    An amazing romantic dramedy, this movie kept me smiling the entire 2 hours. So simply and well made, the movie sucks you in from the very beginning. These actors most definitely earned their oscar noms!
  33. Jan 13, 2013
    This has got to be the best movie I have seen in 2012 ! I was so blown away from the Incredible preformnace by both lead actors: Bradly Cooper and Jennifer Lawrence. Jennifer is such a talented actress. She has proven herself big time in this movie. When she was casted for The Hunger Games I was skeptical and disappointed. But then i saw the movie and I found myself amazed and shocked by her preformance. She is so talented. She's got a great sense of humor and she was balancing the emotions so well. I can't wait to see her in future movies! Bradly Cooper and Jennifer Lawrence had such a great chemistry between them. The movie was not the normal Romantic comedy and that was the thing that made it so touching. I was so drawn to it. I loved every sec of it! The movie was balanced well and i found myself laughing so hard and then the next minute feeling sad it was a rollercoaster of so many mixed wmotions. I would totally be happy if they win the Oscars. I think they deserve it! Expand
  34. Jan 13, 2013
    The Silver Linings Playbook has no flaws at all. Jennifer Lawrence and Bradley Cooper somehow manage to be the most entertaining characters of the year. The cast gives potent and wonderful performances and it has an excellent screenplay. This is a great film and should be a big hit at the Oscar's. I give this film 94%.
  35. Jan 13, 2013
    I rode the story like an exciting roller coaster ride. The acting by all was superb. Robert DiNiro gives his best performance in years. Clever and spontaneous are the two words I would use to describe this film.
  36. Jan 13, 2013
    Great little "love" story but not a soppy like most. I say love story in its lightest term as it is more comedy orientated. Quirky and captivating with dark humour and a great cast! Don't miss out
  37. Jan 12, 2013
    Every once in a blue moon a romantic comedy gets made that engages you with the characters and breaks away from the usual romantic comedy tropes. Silver Linings Playbook is that film. The story revolves around two people battling similar behavior issues. Each have lost their spouses, although in much different ways, and have coped with their losses in different, but equally destructive ways. The movie revolves around the building of their relationship and their friend and family dynamics. While this film is not formulaic it does fall into some bad habits towards the end, and the twist that is meant to impact the third act actually means very little in the grand scheme. Where this movie excels is in the characters interactions with each other. Everyone in this film looks at our two protagonists as if they are nuts, but what this movie does so well is show us that everyone is off their rocker, even if we don't all show the manifestation of it in the same way. A great, touching story with amazing performances down the line. This movie lives up to the hype it is receiving. Expand
  38. Jan 12, 2013
    Jennifer Lawrence has arrived. If the Hunger Games did not catapult her to the top Silver Linings Playbook does. All of us in America come from a dysfunctional family. So what? DeNiro is a scream as a die hard Philadelphia Eagle fan. This movie is totally worthy of all the accolades it has received. Definitely worth the price of admission. Go see and enjoy.
  39. Jan 11, 2013
    Went to see this having NO idea what it was about. All I knew was that it was in Philadelphia. Couldn't have enjoyed this film more! It was wonderful. The first third of the movie leaves one curious as to where the story is going to go, and yes, it is somewhat uncomfortable. But it is supposed to be. Once the story gets going it is just a fun ride. The entire cast was amazing. The only negative I could give is that the cast didn't sound like they were in Philly. Philadelphians do have a certain accent after all. This is the movie of the year in my opinion. Expand
  40. Jan 7, 2013
    I'm always pleased when a film flies under the radar and ends up being the top movie of the year for me. This film is raw, genuine, and simply romantic.
  41. MGO
    Jan 6, 2013
    ' Silver Linings Playbook ' is a moving piece of success that is more than worth the watch. Is it groundbreaking enough to earn a 10/10 ? Well no, because the story does have some redundancy to it that could have been avoided or deleted. However, the chemistry between excellent casting, equivalently appreciated directing and an exceptional screenplay - proposes the right scenario for an acclaim ( as achieved ). Personal Charting of Films Seen ( current ) ; 1. Silver Linings Playbook : 8[.5]/10 ( positive )
    2. Django Unchained : 8/10 ( positive )
    3. Jack Reacher : 4/10 ( I hope the novel was better )
  42. Jan 4, 2013
    Touching movie about life twists, when human tracks reassemble and diverge, beyond control. Pat (Bradley Cooper) is discharged from a mental institution after eight months supervision for beating his wife lover. He accidentally meets Tiffany (Jennifer Lawrence) a widower who lost her job after being engaged in sexual relationships with her colleagues following her husband sudden death. Both are back to their parents home, starting all over, trying to rehabilitate and reconcile with their families and new life. Pat is obsessed by regaining his wife, seeks the help of Tiffany in exchange of participating with her in a dance contest. This line goes with Pat father (Roberto De Nero) trying to win a gamble to own a restaurant if his team Philadelphia Eagles wins along with Pat and Tiffany scoring 5 of 10 in the contest. Pat hardly sought love for his wife is diverted to Tiffany at the last ten minutes of this two hours movie. They got the 5 out of 10 in the dance contest, Philadelphia Eagles wins, Pat father gets the restaurant. Happy finale, for a well crafted scenario, acting, and directing, from the whole team, no one is exempted from the credit. Life is not what's expected or anticipated, human feelings are not stereotyped, a must see movie that won't let you bored. Expand
  43. Jan 2, 2013
    A very different kind of love story that cashes in a little on the ballroom dancing craze while romanticizing mental illness through the genuinely perfect performances of Bradley Cooper and Jennifer Lawrence. Great acting helps this film overcome some cliche moments and a few peculiar writing devices. Chris Tucker, Robert De Niro and Jackie Weaver all work extremely hard to patch over some of the more predictable moments, making this film a must see. Expand
  44. Jan 1, 2013
    An inspiring and uplifting movie, I loved every second of it. The whole cast was amazing showed a 100% believable working class family with many (seriously, many) quirks but was incredibly endearing. Even though there were few surprises throughout the movie and everything amounted to a foreseeable ending, the journey along the way is one that I would watch a thousand times. Every aspect of this movie equally brought a great story and it is one movie I think nobody should miss. Expand
  45. Dec 29, 2012
    A truly adorable, engaging and uplifting romantic comedy that manages to steer away from the conventional and reminds us that in order to get it right in this genre it requires both a solid script, a good director, but most of all chemistry between the leads: Lawrence has proven her self before, but Cooper is just such a revelation in a very challenging role. Recommended feel good film of the year. Expand
  46. Dec 28, 2012
    Bradley Cooper is not only People Magazine
  47. Dec 27, 2012
    "Silver Linings Playbook" is a film of terrific comedy, drama, and a touch of affection; with two phenomenal performances from its leads, particularly that of the sensational Ms. Lawrence, this dramedy is enchanting and inviting to a contenting result.
  48. Dec 25, 2012
    If you had a "Rom Com" written by John Cassevetes and Woody Allen with the football part of " Saturday Night Lights" - mixing in the dance Scene from " Saturday Night Fever" but with a few Double Vodkas thrown in; - quickly You might get a glimmer of how brilliant this very small film is. Loved the Dinner scene, the Diner Scene & Bradley Cooper nails it. Go ! The Acting on a scale of 1- 10 is a Fifty. Expand
  49. Dec 22, 2012
    I really enjoyed this film. The comedy never gets in the way of the drama and vice versa. The performances are all solid. There are several actors you don't see in movies too often anymore and it is pleasant to see them again.
  50. Dec 19, 2012
    Simply put, great. This movie achieves something special in blending heartbreaking drama with hilarious comedy while being able to be taken seriously. It's rare that a film can set out to explore both realms in a serious tone, but it does here. This is a must-see. It's truly a breakout role for Jennifer Lawrence and adds vast complexity to Bradley Cooper who before this was just the opposite of 'Limitless.' Also a noteworthy performance by Robert Deniro - he's finally accepting his age and taking on more appropriate roles that he can absolutely nail. Bravo! Expand
  51. Dec 17, 2012
    I loved this film. A perfect balance between humor, drama, and quirkiness. I thought the chemistry between Pat and Tiffany was through the roof. The acting and writing are excellent throughout. David O. Russell seems to be one of those directors that gets superb performances by the entire cast. "I made crabbie snacks and homemades!". I laughed every time his mother said it. Pat and Tiffany's discussion about all the meds they've taken was hilarious. I laughed a lot during the film and was rooting for these two to get together right from the start. The best romantic comedy I've seen in years. This movie and "Life of Pi" are the best two films I've seen this year. Oh - I also really enjoyed the music selection for the film as well. Expand
  52. Dec 16, 2012
    People are hopelessly flawed, but that doesn't mean that happiness is out of reach. This movie is a celebration of the human spirit, and I love it so much. Might be my favorite of 2012.
  53. Dec 15, 2012
    Cooper plays a nut just out of the asylum who returns home to live with mom and dad and get his life together and win back his wife (who had an affair that caused him to have a psychotic break).The first half of the movie plays like a modern version of One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. And while that's for me the more unusual and the better half of the
  54. Dec 15, 2012
    A Rom-com with a twist. I'm not a fan of Rom-coms as they're all predictable, although this is no different it is actually one of my favourite films of the year, it's heart warming, funny & unique. Definitely worth a watch.
  55. Dec 15, 2012
    This movie is exactly what a good romantic comedy should be. The story is great and rewarding. You learn to love the main character and all his weird habits. There are a few flaws. First, I thought Bradly Cooper was way over acting in the film. Second, the doctor character was very unbelievable especially the part where he is drinking with his patient. Third, it felt like they were trying too hard to get the middle Ammerica vibe instead of a story about an any town USA. As for the positives, the love interest was so good it was amazing. The leads had great chemistry. Chris Tucker was really good. The parents where great. The story was great. The climax was great. Worth watching for sure. Expand
  56. Dec 13, 2012
    A unique film because of the way it tells a light human story in such a hard dramatic way. The most invigorating aspect of Silver Linings Playbook- and there are many- is its masterful script and the actors delivering the well-paced, careful lines. There isn
  57. Dec 12, 2012
    The music selections and acting performances are what make this movie shine, but there are many flaws that seem to have been overlooked. As far as romantic comedies go, this one is one of the better ones with interesting twists and a good story. However, the movies depiction of various mental illnesses are astoundingly inaccurate and the fairytale ending was nothing but predictable from the start. Expand
  58. Dec 12, 2012
    I thoroughly enjoyed this movie. I do like both Bradley Cooper and Jennifer Lawrence, but this film also features a variety of other great actors who I love. Such as Robert de Niro, Chris Tucker, Julia Stiles and Shea Whigham. The plot is interesting, the acting is great, the comedy value is high but most of all this features an emotional tale between two crazy people. This is definitely a a great movie to watch with a loved one or date. But I went, alone, and still enjoyed it a lot. Definitely worth the watch! Expand
  59. Dec 12, 2012
    Rom com for the intelligentsia. Well paced. Well acted and directed with flair the film is enjoyable, but , somehow insubstantial. There is a rather hysterical scene near the end and the very last scene is superfluous. Good, but overrated.
  60. Dec 10, 2012
    This movie troubled me at a level 10 on a scale of 1 to 10. In my opinion, this movie's script was badly flawed and presented a dangerous and very serious mental disease in a completely unrealistic light. Yes, the movie has a predictable and idealistic end but the end is just not conceivable given the events and the time frame depicted in the movie. I have tried to figure how this movie got such a high rating from others, but have not come up with any plausible reason except that most people know absolutely nothing about the seriousness and difficulty persons with the mental disease depicted in this movies have in their lives dealing with the disease. Expand
  61. Dec 9, 2012
    With the help of Bradley Cooper and Jennifer Lawrence's best performances to date, a fantastically charming screenplay, and David O. Russell's substantial directorial prowess, "Silver Linings Playbook" easily soars above the conventional romantic comedy with its honesty.
  62. Dec 8, 2012
    The best film I've seen this year; loved the story, Bradley Cooper and Jennifer Lawrence were perfect; the supporting cast was fantastic. Loved it!!
  63. Dec 7, 2012
    As the movie begins, Bradley Cooper is released from a mental facility where he was sentenced after a violent incident. He returns home to his parents (De Niro's his dad) and tries to get his demons under control. It's not long til he meets his unstable soulmate (Jennifer Lawrence) and the knotty relationship develops. This is not a punchline script: The humor comes from the characters and their unwieldy interactions. Expect more quiet chuckles than outright laughter. Performances are uniformly strong (great to see Chris Tucker) with Lawrence adding to her short list of impressive characters. If you enjoy watching emotional outbursts and frantic family arguments, you may find this film entertaining. I was never bored, but never captivated either. Expand
  64. Dec 5, 2012
    Bradley Cooper perfectly portrays a man struggling with his bi-polar disorder. He's warm and funny but also scary and delusional. The rest of the cast (including a revelatory performance by Jennifer Lawrence) is also terrific. The film captures the chaos and confusion of people dealing with mental issues well enough to forgive its neat Hollywood ending.
  65. Dec 4, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This could have been a good movie if it knew where it wanted to go. The relationship struggling to overcome mental disease might have been worthwhile but the incessant need to reunite with the former wife and the ridiculous Eagles euphoria with stupid bets, ju-ju, and parlays not to mention a silly dance competition distracted the course of the movie and made it silly. So many things simply don't ring true because it tried to be more. Stupid and moronic bets are made, Eagles fans attack their own, a dysfunctional family is made so only for laughs, Copper goes berserk when ever the plot needs some stimulus, several other characters are possibly more disturbed than Cooper, Lawrence is basically conniving and dishonest to an extent, and who becomes a full blown slut just because their husband dies? I could go on with other aspects that distracted me but you get the point. This could have been better but it went for cheap laughs. Expand
  66. Nov 30, 2012
    The best movie I have seen all year! It had it all...drama, tears, humor, romance...Bradley Cooper was smoking hot and should be an Oscar nominee for this one.
  67. Nov 30, 2012
    Let me start by saying I am from Philly, and I like Robert DeNiro a lot. That being said, this has to have been the worst movie I've seen in years. This is a shallow, predictable and uninteresting tale about highly unbelievable and implausible characters. The dialogue is contrived, the plot unrealistic and ridiculous, and the acting over-the-top. The creators of this movie tried to do too much. It could have been a serious story about a man recovering from mental illness and family strife, much like the excellent movie "The Fighter", or an excellent comedy about a dysfunctional and extreme family, much like "Meet the Parents." By attempting to combine both, the creators assured neither plot line was adequately developed, plausible or interesting. It was intellectually nauseating for me to watch this movie. Expand
  68. Nov 29, 2012
    What a brilliant film Bradley Cooper, Jennifer Lawrence, Robert DiNiro, Chris Tucker so funny considering the subject matter after a long day it really cheered me up some brilliant acting and great direction a must see film.
  69. Nov 27, 2012
    Any movie involving the Philadelphia Eagles or their mutant fans is terrible by definition. Oh yeah, Bradley Cooper is actually pretty good in this movie.
  70. Nov 27, 2012
    Silver Linings Playbook: A charmer! Bradley Cooper proves to be an actor of skill. Jennifer Lawrence proves to be a future star. First half of the film was funny but also real. Second half: what a disappointment! I can't believe the movie chose to go for the cheese fest in the second half. It totally wasted the promising premise.
  71. Nov 27, 2012
    The acting of all the principles was well done and the dialog was mostly fine, however, this film did not really "grab" me as I expected, especially after hagving seen "The Fighter" by the same director. Individuals who are part of the mental health world presumably will get more out of this story. Watching the film, I kept veering between wanting to really like it, but then feelings of "who really cares" would intrude. I think Bradley Cooper is terrific but some of his acting verged on histrionics. I thought Jennifer Lawrence was better. And Robert Deniro's part just did not really add to making this a "ten" film movie. He is so much better than his role in this movie. Go to see it, but don't expect "great". Expand
  72. Nov 26, 2012
    Enjoy every bit of the movie. It was funny, sweet and I love both actors. I would see it again. My daughter and I both found it to be a movie to remember.
  73. Nov 24, 2012
    The first half of this movie made me slightly uncomfortable,and didn't seem to have a clear direction. I actually regretted choosing to see it at first.. But it found its voice in the second half and I ended up liking it. I enjoyed how the film captured a slice of Philadelphia.but have no idea what a "home made" is.. . .
  74. Nov 24, 2012
    A roller coaster ride of a movie with emotions swinging from teary eyed seriousness to laugh out loud moments. Every character was well played and especially good performances from Cooper and Lawrence.
  75. Nov 23, 2012
    Best movie of the year. Not one moment did my wife and I feel any incongruity in any part of this movie. It was funny and real all the way through. Very rewarding if you have accurate people skills & intuition
  76. Nov 23, 2012
    DeNiro & Cooper save a bit what is simply a real bad comedy, full of cliché and a Jennifer Lawrence way over the top and using a ridiculous voice. Russel always go for the easy joke, the movie never really try to explore the disease or disability. At the end it's just a nice story about a guy and a girl.
  77. Nov 23, 2012
    A seamless blend of excellent dramatic and comedic acting. Satisfying comedy. Satisfying romance. Dozens of scenes which could have gone awry and none of them do. Some movies just gel and have a special magic and this one did for me. Please go see this movie and support real film making, great writing, and just hardcore fantastic acting.
  78. Nov 20, 2012
    This movie is a mixed bag. I enjoyed everything except the main plot, which was very a typical romcom. A Boy has a problem, a girl has problem, then the boy and girl overcome that problem through mutual respect and handwork. That being said, the additional subplots and story elements are a welcome change to that typical formula. For example, the psychologist is hilarious, and the peculiarities of each character are executed well (except Cooper's mother, who is pretty stale). DeNiro and Cooper's performance are excellent, and show real promise in future movies for the later. Expand
  79. Nov 17, 2012
    This comfortably sits as my movie of the year thus far. I sat with a wide, satisfied smile when it was over. This won't be a full review because I want it to be fresh experience for everyone. I will say that it shows outstanding casting, writing, and directing. And its use of a certain Led Zeppelin song is so pitch perfect, it gave me goose bumps.

1. Reviewed by: David Denby
    Nov 26, 2012
    Pretty much a miscalculation from beginning to end. [26 Nov. 2012, p.87]
  2. Reviewed by: Peter Bradshaw
    Nov 25, 2012
    Likable, watchable and has a nice supporting turn from Robert De Niro; I'm not sure I wouldn't rather watch this again than the macho acting in Russell's boxing drama "The Fighter."
  3. Reviewed by: Marc Mohan
    Nov 23, 2012
    A funny, believable film about the ability of even the damaged and imperfect to earn a little happiness.