8.5

1. Jul 17, 2015
    Truly, Silver Linings is a beautiful, relatable and culturally vibrant film. Jennifer Lawrence, as usual, gives another powerful and merits her character with both a thematically and emotionally resonate depth. Bradley Cooper is also able to convey the personality and hardships of a bi-polar individual. The acting is near faultless. The cinematography is smooth, subtle yet energetic at theTruly, Silver Linings is a beautiful, relatable and culturally vibrant film. Jennifer Lawrence, as usual, gives another powerful and merits her character with both a thematically and emotionally resonate depth. Bradley Cooper is also able to convey the personality and hardships of a bi-polar individual. The acting is near faultless. The cinematography is smooth, subtle yet energetic at the right moments. The script is spicy and solid. Silver Linings Playbook is an offbeat romantic dramedy with fantastic acting, solid writing, great cinematography and a relatable and insightful look into the bi polar diagnosis. Expand
  2. Jun 21, 2015
    This movie is perfect. One of the best dramadies I have ever seen. The actors were amazing, the storyline was awesome, and overall this might be the best movie I have ever seen my whole life.
  3. Jun 10, 2015
    This movie is a master piece,everything in this movie is done perfectly,the acting,the direction,the things that the characters feel in the movie we get to seem them portrayed on screen better than ever.
    It has the perfect running time the perfect cast,God talk about supporting actors stealing the scenes,De Niro what an amazing job he does at this movie.Cooper and Lawrence has chemistry so much they are simply put perfect together.I love this film so much and I just want to thank David O. Russell for making such an master piece,this is great film making and one of the reasons why I love movies in general.
  4. Feb 5, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The Dolly-Mop Playbook

Jennifer Lawrence is one magnificent slut. Her performance in Silver Linings is a tour de force. She nails it. Not since Jennifer Jason Lee in Last Exit to Brooklyn has a trashy trollop been played so convincingly. She easily deserves to win the Oscar for best actress and for any other category the film might win since she is the reason it's in the running at all. It's not easy being a slut. And harder still garnering sympathy for one. We can never be certain if her salacious wonts are biological or self-imposed. The grand old whore is a whole lot more desirable. She is typically forced into a her predicament for money or by male coercion. She's portrayed as a victim and tattooed with a heart of gold. But the nymphomaniac is a sadder sort. She's not as fetching or sentimental. Why should we care about her? It's clear that she either can't get enough carnal pleasure for herself or desperately seeks endless attention from men. Pathetic, is it not? But Lawrence absorbs the role and literally runs with it. Perhaps even re-writing the Dolly-Mop playbook. This movie will be required viewing for budding psychologists. And while Bradley Cooper does an impressive job bouncing the the bi-polar ball, we know he's acting. Fine work Mr. Cooper, no one else could have done it better, maybe. But down the street a few blocks, we entirely lose ourselves in Ms Lawrence. She deftly out-performs them all. Daniel Day Lincoln has to be relieved that there is a gender divide in the acting awards categories. Lawrence is so adept at playing the unapologetic slut that we suspect she's not acting. That she's spilling her guts. Revealing all the sores and warts of her true self. And this is what makes her so great in the movie.
  5. Nov 23, 2014
    Silver Linings Playbook es una película llamativa con grandes actuaciones por parte de todo el reparto, en donde combinan muy bien Bradley Cooper y Jennifer Lawrence. En general es una gran comedia romántica.
  6. Nov 22, 2014
    Simply a great movie, full of first rate performances, sharp dialogue, endearing characters, and off kilter filmmaking. For once a romantic comedy actually works. You cannot label this movie as a chick flick. It's too well rounded on every level. It also defies clichés at almost every turn. It's almost never mushy, or artificial. The mental illness factor is very well integrated, andSimply a great movie, full of first rate performances, sharp dialogue, endearing characters, and off kilter filmmaking. For once a romantic comedy actually works. You cannot label this movie as a chick flick. It's too well rounded on every level. It also defies clichés at almost every turn. It's almost never mushy, or artificial. The mental illness factor is very well integrated, and it truly captures the stress and pain that those people actually go through. If the ending is pretty conventional, it's also completely earned. It's funny when it wants to be, disturbing when it wants to be, and emotional when it wants to be. One of the best movies of 2012. Expand
  7. Sep 1, 2014
    Not only do Bradley Cooper and Jennifer Lawrence give two of the best performances of the year, the film is a romantic masterpiece. Between first-rate writing and an ensemble-to-kill, The Weinstein Company has a gem on their hands.
  8. Jul 9, 2014
    This movie has to be my all time favorite romantic movie. First off its completely unique from all the romance movies that has been thrown at us over the years. Its funny its emotional its cute and its definitely one of a kind. I never get tired of watching this movie
  9. Jun 4, 2014
    This movie captures life as it is. It shows the dark sides and it shows the things everyone has do deal with in ones life. But it also encourages to look beyond that, to see that there are happy times following the bad. Silver Linings Playbook is such a worthy title, it expresses the imperfections of life and the ways life has. Fantastic movie, absolutely worth checking out!
  10. May 25, 2014
    This movie is great and definitely one of the better love movies that iv'e watch in the past couple years. Tons of great actors like Robert De Niro, Jennifer Lawrence, Bradley Cooper , Chris Tucker. The film follows Bradley Cooper (Pat) after staying in a mental hospital for some time he finally get's to go back home to his family. During this time he tries to get his life back together soThis movie is great and definitely one of the better love movies that iv'e watch in the past couple years. Tons of great actors like Robert De Niro, Jennifer Lawrence, Bradley Cooper , Chris Tucker. The film follows Bradley Cooper (Pat) after staying in a mental hospital for some time he finally get's to go back home to his family. During this time he tries to get his life back together so he can get back together with his ex-wife. While having dinner over at his friends house he meets Jennifer Lawrence (Tiffany) she is Bi-polor and her and Pat have plenty of great moments that end up with one of them freaking out on each other. Tiffany is cousins with Pats ex-wife and she tells him that she will give her letters from him if he helps her with a dancing contest. Basically they end of falling in love with each other by the end of the movie and they place 5th in the dancing contest that's the best she has ever done.

Overall i give it a 8.0 if this movie wasn't like it is with the dialog i doubt that i would like it as much also Jennifer Lawrence is just simply gorgeous!!!
  11. May 2, 2014
    An Academy Award deserving script, that manages to make us laugh, cry and even hate/love the characters in the movie, played by the best and most talented Hollywood stars today. Russell has created art and magic, by far the best movie of 2012.
  12. Apr 7, 2014
    Writer / Director David O. Russell as always give us heartwarming movies like example american hustle . this movie is a whole lot of heart warming and love . that is a classic David o russell film . Grade A
  13. Mar 13, 2014
    A very good film. Both Bradley Cooper and Jennifer Lawrence did an outstanding job in their respective leading roles. It was entertaining and very original especially for a romantic comedy. It certainly is a movie that will be remembered as being a the top of the genre.
  14. Mar 12, 2014
    An interesting and different story. Terrific characters and even better characters who bring these characters to life- Silver Linings Playbook is amazing. Well, we best start with the story. Pat/Bradley Cooper has just left a mental hospital after he assaulted a man who was having an affair with this wife- and he also has bipolar... after reconnecting with his family and friends, heAn interesting and different story. Terrific characters and even better characters who bring these characters to life- Silver Linings Playbook is amazing. Well, we best start with the story. Pat/Bradley Cooper has just left a mental hospital after he assaulted a man who was having an affair with this wife- and he also has bipolar... after reconnecting with his family and friends, he eventually meets Tiffany/Jennifer Lawrence who has also been experiencing mental illnesses of her own after her husband died. The two become friends after Tiffany agrees to help Pat communicate with his wife by becoming her dance partner for a competition she wants to take part in. While the story is very interesting and different from other movies of its genre, another thing that makes this movie so amazing is the performances. Robert de Niro is great as Pat's father, and Bradley Cooper also does a fantastic job playing Pat. But, for me personally, Jennifer Lawrence hands down offers the best performance of the film- definitely worthy of her Oscar. The way she portrays Tiffany, with her mental illness, severe mood swings, borderline depression and interesting personality is absolutely fantastic. While the performances are very praiseworthy, the film's dialogue is also very funny, with just the somewhat suttle humorous side- like Pat's persistent mentioning of Tiffany's husband's death or how Tiffany lost her job. Overall, a very heartwarming movie which definitely deserves all the praise it gets. And that is why Silver Linings Playbook is one of my favourite films of all time. Expand
  15. Mar 7, 2014
    The chemistry of the cast cannot be beat and the performances are top notch that make this a very enjoyable look into the lives of those with mental illness. I give this a solid 77.1 out of 100.
  16. Mar 3, 2014
    When I heard Jennifer Lawrence had won the Best Actress Oscar for this film, I had to see it was deserved, and to an extent it surprisingly was! As for the film itself, it's good with it's sharp and slick humour but after a rather intense start, it starts to fizzle out into more of a usual rom-com which is rather frustrating. The shift in tone is probably meant to represent them betteringWhen I heard Jennifer Lawrence had won the Best Actress Oscar for this film, I had to see it was deserved, and to an extent it surprisingly was! As for the film itself, it's good with it's sharp and slick humour but after a rather intense start, it starts to fizzle out into more of a usual rom-com which is rather frustrating. The shift in tone is probably meant to represent them bettering their lives etc. but it does feel a tad forced. Ultimately a forgettable film, but it's still pretty good. Expand
  17. Feb 19, 2014
    Silver Linings Playbook is one of the best films I've seen in recent memory. Cooper and Lawrence's quirky chemistry is just amazing and that really adds to the movie. De Niro gives one of his best performances in years, and plays his role as a temperamental but forgiving father really well. The whole movie is like a roller-coaster ride, and one worth taking. The romance aspect of the movieSilver Linings Playbook is one of the best films I've seen in recent memory. Cooper and Lawrence's quirky chemistry is just amazing and that really adds to the movie. De Niro gives one of his best performances in years, and plays his role as a temperamental but forgiving father really well. The whole movie is like a roller-coaster ride, and one worth taking. The romance aspect of the movie isn't sappy at all; instead, it's smart and realistic. The movie is just great, and one I recommend very highly. Expand
  18. Feb 8, 2014
    that's amazing love story..i feel it's not just a 2 hours movie it's like a book including 500 page..the relations and conversation was very real...i believe them..i believe the love between tiffany and pat
  19. Jan 11, 2014
    A surprisingly touching and lively movie, which makes you think about the surrounding life in a more positive way. I liked the story and the performance of ALL the actors was top notch. This movie should not be missed.
  20. Dec 7, 2013
    It is a really interesting movie. It makes you to be attached to the screen from the first minute. I really appreciated Jennifer Lawrence's performance, her character's emotional changes were sensational during the film.
  21. Nov 30, 2013
    Jen and Brad are outstanding and display remarkable chemistry. Among one of the best films in years. It is meaningful and hilarious and has a wonderful supporting cast. I just love it.
  22. Nov 14, 2013
    Took a little bit for me to get into it, but once I was in, I was hooked. Bradley Cooper and Jennifer Lawrence are phenomenal, and overall, the film is just incredibly touching and heartfelt. Really good film.
  23. Oct 25, 2013
    this movie brings a fresh air to the romantic comedies because with a simple story and great performances especially lawrence can conquer the public..
  24. Oct 5, 2013
    This film contains so many beautiful scenes and show us that there is realism because we can see ordinary people's problems. Also, Jennifer Lawrence, Bradley Cooper, Robert De Niro and Jacki Weaver played every character fantastically. I'm not a fan of David O. Russell but I have to admit he did a good job at directing.
  25. Sep 22, 2013
    I found it a little hard to get into at first with Bradley Cooper over-acting in places, which was beginning to put me off. The introduction of Tiffany (Jennifer Lawrence) though changed all that and the narrative began to make more sense. All the performances were excellent with (for me) Jennifer Lawrence standing out. Yes, I know De Niro is there but he’s really not a major characterI found it a little hard to get into at first with Bradley Cooper over-acting in places, which was beginning to put me off. The introduction of Tiffany (Jennifer Lawrence) though changed all that and the narrative began to make more sense. All the performances were excellent with (for me) Jennifer Lawrence standing out. Yes, I know De Niro is there but he’s really not a major character although he does play his part very well. Bradley Cooper was good, but no better really than I have seen him before. The action is littered with an awful lot of music, some I was familiar with and some not so much; all of it fitted the visuals well though and it made for a welcome enhancement to the entertainment. Over all I found it a well rounded romantic comedy (with some drama thrown in for good measure) and just a twist of quirkiness. It even touched me on an emotional level (a rare thing these days) so it gets a pretty high recommendation from me.

SteelMonster’s verdict: HIGHLY RECOMMENDED

My score: 8.3/10.
  26. Sep 9, 2013
    Silver Linings Playbook was an amazing, inspirational, and fantastic movie. I loved this movie. The performances are solid--especially Jennifer Lawrence, Bradley Cooper, Robert De Niro, and Jacki Weaver. I was totally blown away by their performances. David O. Russell did a super-duper-great job. I loved the story. It was sweet, easy to understand, and touch our hearts. It combined a lotSilver Linings Playbook was an amazing, inspirational, and fantastic movie. I loved this movie. The performances are solid--especially Jennifer Lawrence, Bradley Cooper, Robert De Niro, and Jacki Weaver. I was totally blown away by their performances. David O. Russell did a super-duper-great job. I loved the story. It was sweet, easy to understand, and touch our hearts. It combined a lot aspects; such as love, mental illness, craziness about football, dark background of the characters, but David could mix them really well. Jennifer Lawrence played a very different role from Winter's Bone and The Hunger Games, so it will take some scenes for you to recognize her well. Once you have recognized her, you will agree that she is one of the super-duper-talented young actress in Hollywood. Now, Silver Linings Playbook has been one of my favorite movie all the time. Expand
  27. Aug 17, 2013
    I had mixed feelings about this piece As somebody who struggles with a mental illness, I went into this movie with mixed reviews seeing Bradley Cooper of the Hangover do the job as the main role was good because it was so much what I did not expect I appreciate that mental illness was handled yet I felt it was still sugar coated nonetheless as a love story it worked excellentlyI had mixed feelings about this piece As somebody who struggles with a mental illness, I went into this movie with mixed reviews seeing Bradley Cooper of the Hangover do the job as the main role was good because it was so much what I did not expect I appreciate that mental illness was handled yet I felt it was still sugar coated nonetheless as a love story it worked excellently and therefore the film is worth seeing Expand
  28. Aug 12, 2013
    To some degree, relating to the situations and conditions of the main characters in Silver Linings Playbook may increase your overall enjoyment of the film. This is a heading that anyone should acknowledge before pressing play.

With that out of the way, what this film is, at its heart, is a romantic comedy that does certain things well and others poorly. The on-screen chemistry between Bradley Cooper and Jennifer Lawrence, whose relationship is a focal point of the film, is jagged at best; and this is to the film's benefit, as you watch their interactions unfold. The father-son relationship between Cooper and Robert DeNiro is almost completely unbelievable, and if this film has any sour sticking point, this is it. DeNiro's casting seems almost purely for name power, as if the filmmakers weren't confident enough in Cooper And Lawrence being attractive draws (which they undoubtedly are, Cooper perhaps more so now than DeNiro has been in years).

With the volatile relationship between Cooper and Lawrence, a great many of situations develop, some predictable, some not, but they all are arranged and constructed appropriately to tell a tale of adversity, perseverance, and the crazy moments in between. At times it feels forced, at others confused, but for many American families, this is life. I can relate, and I refer back to my opening paragraph as a reminder that so much of this film can either hit you in the heart or fly over your head depending on who you are. This is true of most art, but Silver Linings Playbook is a bit more focused, almost but not quite a "niche" film.

Overall, a great film, but anything resembling universal appeal is lost due to the subject matter and some unwarranted casting choices. But for those of us who can relate, to some degree, I do believe you'll feel the same as me; well worth the 2 hours.
  29. Aug 11, 2013
    I loved this film. It has a unique sense of style. It's amazing. Jennifer Lawrence's character was great. And Bradley Cooper was great, the same goes with Jacki Weaver and Robert De-Niro.
  30. Aug 10, 2013
    One of the best movies i have seen! It totally worth the 2 oscars. The movie was fantastic, the actors where great and the overal story was really good! Oh and one more thing, Jennifer Lawrence was gorgeous!

1. Reviewed by: David Denby
    Nov 26, 2012
    Pretty much a miscalculation from beginning to end. [26 Nov. 2012, p.87]
  2. Reviewed by: Peter Bradshaw
    Nov 25, 2012
    Likable, watchable and has a nice supporting turn from Robert De Niro; I'm not sure I wouldn't rather watch this again than the macho acting in Russell's boxing drama "The Fighter."
  3. Reviewed by: Marc Mohan
    Nov 23, 2012
    A funny, believable film about the ability of even the damaged and imperfect to earn a little happiness.