8.4

1. Feb 28, 2013
    This movie had me smiling all the way through. All the characters are full of life and energy. They're all a little crazy, even the sane ones, and I think that describes us all.
  2. Feb 13, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Two endings: one happy, one sad, wind up Billy Brown's malleable story in Vincent Gallo's Buffalo '66, the 1998 cult classic that informs Silver Linings Playbook: sometimes broadly, sometimes not. Like any good quarterback, however, the film calls many audibles and creates something new from the prevailing framework. But make no mistake about it, the QB scouted the Bills-themed indie. The QB knows the players. Billy, lost and unloved, just released from prison for a crime he didn't commit, inevitably, finds himself at a strip joint, bent on revenge with gun in hand, staring down Scott Wood, a retired placekicker whose missed game-winning field goal prompted in Billy a default on his wager to a local bookie that the designated fall guy couldn't begin to recompense. As the club's owner, Scott holds court in a private booth, in which the Super Bowl goat, surrounded by topless women, takes a bullet in the forehead before the disgruntled gambler turns the gun to the side of his own temple. Excelsior, Pat's notion that every bad situation has a silver lining is something Billy doesn't prescribe to, or so it seems, at first. Who is the omniscient QB(read: narrator) that changes the called play: the murder/suicide? Is it the bipolar high school teacher, who similar to the would-be killer, returns home after being incarcerated for a felony(he nearly beats his wife's lover to death), with the difference being that the facility is a mental hospital, not a state penitentiary? Pat, similar to Billy, grew up in a house where the preponderance of football created an extensive amount of dysfunction between parent and child. When Pat Sr. complains that Tiffany is messing up his team's juju, it reveals how for many Americans, football functions as a sort of pagan religion. In the Brown household, O.J. with the pigskin graces their wall, not J.C. on the cross. Moreover, Billy is named after the appelation given to the cold weather city's team. Clearly, both men played(and continue to play) second fiddle to an organization of beefy athletes who on Sunday, diverted their parents from the church and into a stadium, the house of laical worship. Sadly, the discovery made by Tiffany that Pat's catchword doubles as the motto used on the New York State seal, constitutes as a bona fide miracle. In Buffalo '66, god is in the details; the parking lot markings where Billy tries to drive Layla's "shifter car", look conspicuously like hash marks. The eagle, another detail, the symbol that serves as the moniker for Philadelphia's NFL team, doubles as a sign, a street sign in Buffalo, where Billy crosses Eagle Avenue during his quest for a public restroom. Therefore "reading the signs," becomes even more pronounced, becomes more than the key phrase from the letter Tiffany writes in order to trick her fellow codependent into participating at a formal dance competition. She has filmic powers. The audience can read signs, too. Tiffany passes Baldwin(as in bald eagle) Street; she spans time like Billy, but backwards instead of forwards, all the way back to Eagle Avenue. Blink and you'll miss it, but as Tiffany enters the Ben Franklin Hotel, you see a camera flash go off; it's the photo booth scene updated. Other faint echoes abound, especially the moment in Buffalo '66 when Billy runs into Wendy Balsam, his unrequited childhood crush, whose house he used to walk past, since in Silver Linings Playbook, Pat jogs past Tiffany's place, but unlike Wendy, she comes out of the house, crossing Pat's path and greeting him with a sharp "hey". Tiffany, the girl who can span time, by running with her stalker(decked out in a garbage bag), it can be construed, is in a sort of extra-diegetical communique with celluloidal Buffalo and its flickering residents. She's the retroactive ghost in Gallo's film, a conduit from the moving picture future, a second skin beneath Layla, as she coaxes the former Bills fan into believing that he's better than Wendy(who growing up, perceived Billy as garbage), which has ramifications in her own life, since throughout Silver Linings Playbook, she is proving her love for Pat is bigger than Nikki's. Hypothetically speaking, in the performative sense, Silver Linings Playbook has an alchemizing effect on Buffalo '66. The illusion of fluidity in a static art is enacted. The second ending, the one where Billy's reality turns out to be his imagination, becomes the narrative equivalent of a Hail Mary. With Pat helming the quarterback position, he throws A Farewell to Arms through the window, through time, like a football. He then goes into his parents' room and complains about Ernest Hemingway, yelling, "Can't anybody say: Hey, let's be positive? Let's have a good ending to this story?" Billy hears the audible. Outside the nudie bar, he flings his gun into the darkness: a farewell to arms. Because of Tiffany, excelsior becomes his catchword, too. Layla is his silver lining. Expand
  3. Feb 17, 2013
    'Silver Linings Playbook' is the best romantic comedy of the year, holding up with a plot that some crazy characters, I can only say that is insanely good. Bradley does its best to deliver a great performance, but make no mistake, the film is Jennifer Lawrence.
  4. Jul 7, 2013
    This movie, represents everything an audience dreams of seeing in a movie. First, the acting is superb. Though, this movie is predictable, the story line and great dialogue makes up for it. Jennifer Lawrence and Bradley Cooper, have amazing chemistry together, making it all the more believable. Robert DeNiro and Jackie Weaver, also stole the show, playing the role of Pat Jr. parents. ThisThis movie, represents everything an audience dreams of seeing in a movie. First, the acting is superb. Though, this movie is predictable, the story line and great dialogue makes up for it. Jennifer Lawrence and Bradley Cooper, have amazing chemistry together, making it all the more believable. Robert DeNiro and Jackie Weaver, also stole the show, playing the role of Pat Jr. parents. This movie, is hilarious, dramatic, romantic, and has a beautiful message. 'Silver Linings Playbook', is nothing short of fantastic Expand
  5. Jul 7, 2013
    I am thankful for the rare but ever so gratifying romantic comedies that are exceptionally well acted. Cooper and Lawrence were a delight to watch as they rocketed into the upper echelon of talented actors and actresses in Hollywood. The story had an insightful take on tragedy and loss that was quite refreshing. A great date night movie that will make you laugh and feel like you watched aI am thankful for the rare but ever so gratifying romantic comedies that are exceptionally well acted. Cooper and Lawrence were a delight to watch as they rocketed into the upper echelon of talented actors and actresses in Hollywood. The story had an insightful take on tragedy and loss that was quite refreshing. A great date night movie that will make you laugh and feel like you watched a movie with substance. Expand
  6. Feb 2, 2013
    One of the best movies this year. Top notch performances from every cast member. Sad and funny at the same time. It gets a little bit unrealistic around the last part, but I like it anyways, because when the movie ended I felt good, and there is nothing more to ask...Now we should go and find our silver linings too.
  7. Nov 17, 2012
    This comfortably sits as my movie of the year thus far. I sat with a wide, satisfied smile when it was over. This won't be a full review because I want it to be fresh experience for everyone. I will say that it shows outstanding casting, writing, and directing. And its use of a certain Led Zeppelin song is so pitch perfect, it gave me goose bumps.
  8. Dec 22, 2012
    I really enjoyed this film. The comedy never gets in the way of the drama and vice versa. The performances are all solid. There are several actors you don't see in movies too often anymore and it is pleasant to see them again.
  9. Nov 24, 2012
    A roller coaster ride of a movie with emotions swinging from teary eyed seriousness to laugh out loud moments. Every character was well played and especially good performances from Cooper and Lawrence.
  10. Nov 27, 2012
    Silver Linings Playbook: A charmer! Bradley Cooper proves to be an actor of skill. Jennifer Lawrence proves to be a future star. First half of the film was funny but also real. Second half: what a disappointment! I can't believe the movie chose to go for the cheese fest in the second half. It totally wasted the promising premise.
  11. Jan 20, 2013
    Just a little bit above the average. It's quite enjoyable, funny and likable and the performances are strong. I personally think that D.O'Russel's direction is what makes this lemonade so respectable. Still, even with the strong direction and catchy soundtrack, the screenplay, the dialogue and the whole atmosphere felt plastic and exaggerated and non-believable. And personally, I don'tJust a little bit above the average. It's quite enjoyable, funny and likable and the performances are strong. I personally think that D.O'Russel's direction is what makes this lemonade so respectable. Still, even with the strong direction and catchy soundtrack, the screenplay, the dialogue and the whole atmosphere felt plastic and exaggerated and non-believable. And personally, I don't like how this fairy-tale depicts bipolar and depressed people. Oh, and is the Solatano family really dysfunctional? I never noticed that. Expand
  12. Jan 20, 2013
    Silver Lining Playbook is inspiring for those willing to let their guard down to the uncomfortable realities told by this story, and a tastefully effective display of emotional honesty.
  13. Nov 23, 2012
    A seamless blend of excellent dramatic and comedic acting. Satisfying comedy. Satisfying romance. Dozens of scenes which could have gone awry and none of them do. Some movies just gel and have a special magic and this one did for me. Please go see this movie and support real film making, great writing, and just hardcore fantastic acting.
  14. Nov 29, 2012
    What a brilliant film Bradley Cooper, Jennifer Lawrence, Robert DiNiro, Chris Tucker so funny considering the subject matter after a long day it really cheered me up some brilliant acting and great direction a must see film.
  15. Nov 23, 2012
    Best movie of the year. Not one moment did my wife and I feel any incongruity in any part of this movie. It was funny and real all the way through. Very rewarding if you have accurate people skills & intuition
  16. Jan 23, 2013
    Good performances. But very flawed and lots of lazy writing and direction. The scene were the "big bet" is so damn contrived and illogical that it's embarrassing and ruined everything they'd built in the first two acts. And it's freaking illogical. Anyone, especially a bookie knows a double or nothing bet is not a big deal, you just have to make another bet at the same number. You don'tGood performances. But very flawed and lots of lazy writing and direction. The scene were the "big bet" is so damn contrived and illogical that it's embarrassing and ruined everything they'd built in the first two acts. And it's freaking illogical. Anyone, especially a bookie knows a double or nothing bet is not a big deal, you just have to make another bet at the same number. You don't need to parlay it or give more points. Lazy lazy lazy.

I also like when Jennifer is listing the scores of the games she was with Cooper ... she mentions the Eagles beating the Seahawks 14-7. Well, they'd said earlier in the film that the Eagles were BEATING the Seahawks 27-10. WTF. How freaking lazy. There's also a scene where Jennifer is taping Cooper's shoe's with duct tape. But in the shot RIGHT BEFORE that his shoes ARE ALREADY TAPED. Lazy.
  17. Feb 22, 2013
    Silver Linings Playbook is a peculiar film, because is a romantic comedy that breaks all the previews standards of that genre. Basically is the typical love story, but the interesting thing is that all the cast have a psychological problem. Starting by the protagonist couple, we see Pat (unexpectedly well played by Bradley Cooper) a bipolar that speaks before thinking, then TiffanySilver Linings Playbook is a peculiar film, because is a romantic comedy that breaks all the previews standards of that genre. Basically is the typical love story, but the interesting thing is that all the cast have a psychological problem. Starting by the protagonist couple, we see Pat (unexpectedly well played by Bradley Cooper) a bipolar that speaks before thinking, then Tiffany (Jennifer Lawrence as marvelous as always) a widow with borderline personality. The dynamic that is generated between them is based in learning how to live a normal life and be adapted to social conventions. The thing is that consequence of their condition the family and friends attempt to control their lives (the topic of the great power of the family is also noticeable in The Fighter). The family of the protagonist also is a dilemma; the father is an addicted to gambling with OCD and felt guilty because how his son turned out; the mother has an extreme necessity that all the relationships of the family maintain in order, living in denial; the brother lives with a superiority complex, but enters to a contradiction because of Pat. Then we have the friend of the protagonist who has problems with his wife so he release tension breaking stuff at his garage with hard music; the friend of the hospital invents excuses to run away and the doctor tries to fit in the American society. This great cast is amazingly well managed by David O. Russell, the only problem is that at the end the movie returns to the stereotypes of simple romantic comedies. Expand
  18. Dec 12, 2012
    The music selections and acting performances are what make this movie shine, but there are many flaws that seem to have been overlooked. As far as romantic comedies go, this one is one of the better ones with interesting twists and a good story. However, the movies depiction of various mental illnesses are astoundingly inaccurate and the fairytale ending was nothing but predictable fromThe music selections and acting performances are what make this movie shine, but there are many flaws that seem to have been overlooked. As far as romantic comedies go, this one is one of the better ones with interesting twists and a good story. However, the movies depiction of various mental illnesses are astoundingly inaccurate and the fairytale ending was nothing but predictable from the start. Expand
  19. Jan 15, 2013
    Silver Linings Playbook has great acting, some wonderful scenes, and overall characters who you root for. The problem is that this doesn't all come together. It feels like by adding another few scenes might have brought everything together. But in the version I saw in the theater, something was simply missing.
  20. Jan 12, 2013
    Jennifer Lawrence has arrived. If the Hunger Games did not catapult her to the top Silver Linings Playbook does. All of us in America come from a dysfunctional family. So what? DeNiro is a scream as a die hard Philadelphia Eagle fan. This movie is totally worthy of all the accolades it has received. Definitely worth the price of admission. Go see and enjoy.
  21. Jan 19, 2013
    Completely fell apart int he 3rd act. So many plot devices and contrivances to reach the underwhelming emotional finale. As over-hyped as the Eagles 2011 and 2012 seasons combined.
  22. Jan 15, 2013
    Was with it for first 2 acts. Completely fell apart and lost it's tone and believability in the third act. So much exposition just to get Deniro's friend to make a bet on them dancing (without ever having seen them dance)? Shoddy writing. Felt like a unique movie for the first 2/3 then a bad TV episode of Happy Days for the last third. Waste of a good start.
  23. Nov 27, 2012
    The acting of all the principles was well done and the dialog was mostly fine, however, this film did not really "grab" me as I expected, especially after hagving seen "The Fighter" by the same director. Individuals who are part of the mental health world presumably will get more out of this story. Watching the film, I kept veering between wanting to really like it, but then feelings ofThe acting of all the principles was well done and the dialog was mostly fine, however, this film did not really "grab" me as I expected, especially after hagving seen "The Fighter" by the same director. Individuals who are part of the mental health world presumably will get more out of this story. Watching the film, I kept veering between wanting to really like it, but then feelings of "who really cares" would intrude. I think Bradley Cooper is terrific but some of his acting verged on histrionics. I thought Jennifer Lawrence was better. And Robert Deniro's part just did not really add to making this a "ten" film movie. He is so much better than his role in this movie. Go to see it, but don't expect "great". Expand
  24. Nov 20, 2012
    This movie is a mixed bag. I enjoyed everything except the main plot, which was very a typical romcom. A Boy has a problem, a girl has problem, then the boy and girl overcome that problem through mutual respect and handwork. That being said, the additional subplots and story elements are a welcome change to that typical formula. For example, the psychologist is hilarious, and theThis movie is a mixed bag. I enjoyed everything except the main plot, which was very a typical romcom. A Boy has a problem, a girl has problem, then the boy and girl overcome that problem through mutual respect and handwork. That being said, the additional subplots and story elements are a welcome change to that typical formula. For example, the psychologist is hilarious, and the peculiarities of each character are executed well (except Cooper's mother, who is pretty stale). DeNiro and Cooper's performance are excellent, and show real promise in future movies for the later. Expand
  25. Nov 24, 2012
    The first half of this movie made me slightly uncomfortable,and didn't seem to have a clear direction. I actually regretted choosing to see it at first.. But it found its voice in the second half and I ended up liking it. I enjoyed how the film captured a slice of Philadelphia.but have no idea what a "home made" is.. . .
  26. Dec 4, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This could have been a good movie if it knew where it wanted to go. The relationship struggling to overcome mental disease might have been worthwhile but the incessant need to reunite with the former wife and the ridiculous Eagles euphoria with stupid bets, ju-ju, and parlays not to mention a silly dance competition distracted the course of the movie and made it silly. So many things simply don't ring true because it tried to be more. Stupid and moronic bets are made, Eagles fans attack their own, a dysfunctional family is made so only for laughs, Copper goes berserk when ever the plot needs some stimulus, several other characters are possibly more disturbed than Cooper, Lawrence is basically conniving and dishonest to an extent, and who becomes a full blown slut just because their husband dies? I could go on with other aspects that distracted me but you get the point. This could have been better but it went for cheap laughs. Expand
  27. Oct 25, 2014
    it is rubish film that a man who love spouse that married with person that sex with 11 person and her father the act is very bad. robert deniro think he play in the gang movie but in film he is a father that love sport and bet. he is leader not boss of the gang
  28. Dec 10, 2012
    This movie troubled me at a level 10 on a scale of 1 to 10. In my opinion, this movie's script was badly flawed and presented a dangerous and very serious mental disease in a completely unrealistic light. Yes, the movie has a predictable and idealistic end but the end is just not conceivable given the events and the time frame depicted in the movie. I have tried to figure how thisThis movie troubled me at a level 10 on a scale of 1 to 10. In my opinion, this movie's script was badly flawed and presented a dangerous and very serious mental disease in a completely unrealistic light. Yes, the movie has a predictable and idealistic end but the end is just not conceivable given the events and the time frame depicted in the movie. I have tried to figure how this movie got such a high rating from others, but have not come up with any plausible reason except that most people know absolutely nothing about the seriousness and difficulty persons with the mental disease depicted in this movies have in their lives dealing with the disease. Expand
  29. Nov 23, 2012
    DeNiro & Cooper save a bit what is simply a real bad comedy, full of cliché and a Jennifer Lawrence way over the top and using a ridiculous voice. Russel always go for the easy joke, the movie never really try to explore the disease or disability. At the end it's just a nice story about a guy and a girl.
  30. Nov 30, 2012
    Let me start by saying I am from Philly, and I like Robert DeNiro a lot. That being said, this has to have been the worst movie I've seen in years. This is a shallow, predictable and uninteresting tale about highly unbelievable and implausible characters. The dialogue is contrived, the plot unrealistic and ridiculous, and the acting over-the-top. The creators of this movie tried to do tooLet me start by saying I am from Philly, and I like Robert DeNiro a lot. That being said, this has to have been the worst movie I've seen in years. This is a shallow, predictable and uninteresting tale about highly unbelievable and implausible characters. The dialogue is contrived, the plot unrealistic and ridiculous, and the acting over-the-top. The creators of this movie tried to do too much. It could have been a serious story about a man recovering from mental illness and family strife, much like the excellent movie "The Fighter", or an excellent comedy about a dysfunctional and extreme family, much like "Meet the Parents." By attempting to combine both, the creators assured neither plot line was adequately developed, plausible or interesting. It was intellectually nauseating for me to watch this movie. Expand

1. Reviewed by: David Denby
    Nov 26, 2012
    Pretty much a miscalculation from beginning to end. [26 Nov. 2012, p.87]
  2. Reviewed by: Peter Bradshaw
    Nov 25, 2012
    Likable, watchable and has a nice supporting turn from Robert De Niro; I'm not sure I wouldn't rather watch this again than the macho acting in Russell's boxing drama "The Fighter."
  3. Reviewed by: Marc Mohan
    Nov 23, 2012
    A funny, believable film about the ability of even the damaged and imperfect to earn a little happiness.