8.3

1. Jul 2, 2013
    One of the best films of the year. Silver Linings isn't just one of the best feel good movies of recent times but it's also enormously entertaining and a crowd pleaser at that. The film focuses upon Pat Solitano (Bradley Cooper), a man suffering from bipolar disorder recently released from a psychiatric hospital returns home to live with his parents, Pat Sr. (Robert De Niro) & Deloris (Jacki Weaver). Determined to win back his estranged wife, he meets Tiffany (Jennifer Lawrence) who recently widowed agrees to help him if he enters dance competition with her. As they become closer they both must deal with their relationships with each other whilst coping with their disorders. The performances of the leads were lauded and it's easy to see why. They give some phenomenal performances. Cooper and Lawrence in the lead roles are incredible! The pair's edgy raport and mesmerizing chemistry sees them both deliver a pitch perfect performance. It's relationship that is a sheer delight to watch! Lawrence won the Academy Award and rightfully so, she is superb, especially when you consider she was just 21 at the time. Cooper also proves to an instant hit His stock continues to rise and he is outstanding in his role. They ren't alone and whilst they steal the show the legendary De Niro comes up trumps once again working with Cooper as his doting, unconventional father. But in such as small role it's Chris Tucker who proves to be irresistible. His presence lights up this film, everyone has witnessed his antics in the Rush Hour franchise but in a more subtle role he excels! Great credit also goes to David O. Russell. His smart screenplay is almost ingenious! The way he tackles mental illness and succeeds delivering such immensely satisfying results is excellent. It's such a charming and sharp film! All in all, this is such a marvellous movie. David O. Russell succeeds were many would have failed. With some career high and possibly defining performances this is a meaningful must see film. Crazy good!! Expand
  2. Jun 26, 2013
    A sweet, simple film that has the power to captivate you through the performances of it's cast. The narrative follows the basic format of any boy/girl love story but what makes this picture so pleasantly unique from the rest is the fact that it doesn't try too hard to remind you of the genre that it conforms to. The use of music in Silver Linings is remarkably enthralling, in particular the use of Led Zeppelin's "What Is and What Should Never Be" when we first get a glimpse of Pat's mental fragility. Having only recently been a David O. Russell fan since his boxing biopic "The Fighter", I was anxious as to what Silver Linings would bring to 2012 and whether or not my anticipation would end in disappointment but thankfully it most certainly didn't and if anything, left me admiring O. Russell's directional ability even more. In short, Silver Linings is a splendid movie, worthy of a watch and one that will not disappoint. Expand
  3. Jun 22, 2013
    Magnificent chemistry between Cooper and Jennifer define this heartwarming romantic drama. Solid writing and pacing make it an absolute joy to watch plus one of Robert Di NIro's finest performance acts as icing on the cake! Totally worthy of all the praise and accolades
  4. Jun 20, 2013
    Outstanding film.Jennifer Lawrence was outstanding in this film.Jennifer Lawrence won well-deserved award.Robert DeNiro and Bradley Cooper were outstanding too.Jacki Weaver was good but she didn't deserve the nomination.David O. Russell wrote amazing screenplay.
  5. Jun 19, 2013
    Heard this was a good movie from some friends whose judgement I trust, not to mention the critics loved it, so I had to see it. It did not disappoint. I found it to be strange at first, but that's done on purpose because this does follow some mentally... different people. Superb acting all around, particularly Bradley Cooper and Jennifer Lawrence who do a fantastic job of playing their characters. Funny, plenty of "oh no he/she didn't" moments, lots of conflict, heartwarming, and a feel-good movie by the end. Recommended! Expand
  6. Jun 18, 2013
    My second favorite film of 2012. A movie that deals with the issue of bipolar disorder in a way that shows the way it can change someone's life, but also shows a funny and romantic side.
  7. Jun 18, 2013
    Silver Linings Playbook is cute, sweet and really good, with an amazing acting, and a fitting cast, the story is original somehow, and some scenes are really intense, the movie is more of a talky, but overall it is one of the best movies of 2012.
  8. Jun 14, 2013
    This is a tough one for me to review, as I'm not much of a rom-com guy. The only three that I really like, when I think about it, are When 'Harry Met Sally,' 'While You Were Sleeping,' and 'He Said, She Said.' To be honest, only the first of those three is a classic (a 10). Silver Linings Playbook is in the company of the other two, what I would call near-classics, so I have to give it an 8.

Jennifer Lawrence deserves all the accolades she is accumulating. She shines even in sub-par movies, like 'House at the End of the Street.' Actually, the 'star' actors are all great, which isn't always the case, is it? The comedy is dark in tone but not as harsh as you might expect, given the situation. Overall, the tone is light, and the mood is feel-good. In that sense, even if the premise is original and 'edgy,' the film delivers what most people want from a rom-com.

So, why not a 10? My suspension of disbelief was jarred on a couple of occasions. I don't want to give any spoilers, so I'll only say that the set-up for the climax the scene that sets up the stakes of the climax is particularly wince-inducing for a number of reasons. Hopefully you won't feel the same way. Also, some actions, or the presence of certain characters, seem awfully convenient. Lastly, several supporting characters, particularly a recurring policeman, are rather one-dimensional. I can take that last issue with a grain of salt, however, as I consider that acceptable for the genre. Still, more depth and soul to the secondary characters would have increased my engrossment in (and rating of) the movie.
  9. Jun 4, 2013
    I really liked this movie, it’s not the usual romantic comedy. The plot is really entertaining but what I enjoyed the most is the acting, Cooper is great but who really surprised me is Lawrence, totally amazing.
  10. Jun 4, 2013
    "A truly terrific and humorous movie all across the board. Bradley Cooper and Jennifer Lawrence shine in there best performances to date. Its a movie we all can feel good about and walk away with a great message. David O Russel is truly a genius" A-
  11. Jun 1, 2013
    I am not a person of many words, however watching this film stirred something inside of me. Few days ago my "big" reveal was Jennifer Lawrence so I was drawn to this movie because of her, however what I found was something that left me astonished. It was really heartwarming story of love. The great performance was put in by almost everyone but I have to say that the two leads in this movie did a terrific job. They showed what seemed to be an unstable character played by Bradley Cooper, and than they introduced Tiffany who was so out of the blue for me. She is unpredictable one moment she seems normal and the next she is telling her most intimate confessions which is one of the best things for me in this movie. No, the story does not reinvent the genre it is predictable but in this case the story falls into background thanks to masterful characters who all manage to find a place for themselves so they can shine. Robert De Niro did great as a father who only now manages to see that perhaps he wasn't the best father in the world.

All in all it is a great story, It's not your a type of romantic comedy that is seen all the time, the emphasis here is much more on the romance part than it is on the slightly present comedy in the character of Danny or Pat's reaction to reading the Ernest Hemingway book.

All in all I was positively surprised by how much I liked the movie considering I haven't been into the overdone "Romantic Comedy"-Genre for a while now but like I said while it doesn't reinvent the genre it's still a great movie that isn't generic in any way or form except for the concept of the story.

A must watch in my opinion for fans and non-fans of this genre.
  12. May 31, 2013
    It is funny, intense and a different Romantic comedy than others, it is creative and smart, with amazing plot and great acting coming from Cooper and Lawrence, I enjoyed it as a stand out, and positively different than other Rom-Com
  13. May 30, 2013
    I really enjoyed this movie. The main actors selected were perfect. I thought it was fun and light-hearted. It had some real-life issues that a lot of people deal with, like death and split-up marriages, so I think many people can relate. There is always a silver lining to any situation, and this movie explains this exactly.
  14. May 30, 2013
    As a fan of hearty movies, I had to rate this film 10 out of 10. The movie is witty, emotional, funny, satisfying, well acted, well directed, well written and just plain awesome. The two lovable main characters Pat and Tiffany played by Bradley Cooper and Jennifer Lawrence are just amazing, and they made me think that maybe there's a little crazy in all of us. So I loved the movie, and I recommend it to all movie goers out there because Silver Linings Playbook is flawless. Expand
  15. May 27, 2013
    By far the sweetest, funniest, and critically well-rounded movie of the year, Silver Linings Playbook reinvents the long suffering romantic comedy genre due to its sensitive direction, phenomenal screenplay, and best ensemble cast of the year. Featuring a breakthrough performance from a once ridiculed Bradley Cooper, David O. Russell had distinguished himself with this film as one of the best directors working. Robert DeNiro's impressive performance has shown us that he can find a balance between meeting the Fockers and Ray LaMotta, and Jennifer Lawrence has made herself a gem of American cinema. There is no doubt in my mind that any future work from either O. Russell or any members of the ensemble cast will be nothing short of extraordinary. Expand
  16. May 22, 2013
    A great film that isn't afraid to have a main character who is a little off his rocker.
    Bipolar disorder, OCD and other mental illnesses are far too common in life, and rarely seen in the cinema.
    To take characters, give them real life problems, and throw them into a romantic genre film and let them scream, fight, dance, and love is to bring those characters to life. Bravo.
  17. May 22, 2013
    the first 30 minutes of the movie start off fantastic great performances solid story the dialog is great and the screenplay is the best.
    but then the movie does not make sense after that.
    the scene after the restaurant is confusing she kept screaming at the street "he's harassing me" and then she said it was a joke and tried to calm him down ,
    i kept scratching my head during the scene
    but you know whatever.
    so the second bomb is Robert De Niro offering the bet and that was the worst 14 minutes in the movie.
    and the deceivingly happy ending is awkward it was like watching a home made movie.
    and that's just sad because the movie start off very well but i don't know what happened ,
    it's like David O. Russell was trying to film the movie entirely in one week start off good but then decided to rush it.
  18. May 21, 2013
    It is too rare that a movie manages to achieve more than double as much of all feelings by the first half than another one of its genre. "Silver Linings Playbook" is not only a fantastic movie with wel-shot scenes and amazing casting, but in also makes you feel with the characters for whom you actually start to feel some sort of sympathy. 10+ for sure.
  19. May 21, 2013
    It's Oscar nominee for best picture of the year that fact alone matters great deal, outstanding acting(Bradley Cooper delivers his best), interesting and very realistic story makes you care about it's characters! This is must own
  20. May 19, 2013
    Jennifer Lawrence is one of the best actresses of her age.
    In this movie she acted awesome as always!
    Just sometimes the movie is a little slow-moving but in conclusion its a movie with great actors and many funny moments!
  21. May 18, 2013
    This movie is really good.Even though it is kinda predictable,it has a great story,interesting characters and shows how people can change from crazy to normal.
  22. May 10, 2013
    The film tackles a thematic adult and complicated, difficult to approach, but in the hands of The Russell emocinantemente it is comical and vulgar because several expletives, but performances by Cooper and Lawnrence make everything very sensitive and funny.
  23. May 6, 2013
    While I don't think Silver Linings Playbook was quite worthy of all the praise it got from the "experts" and the academy, it was still a very good movie. Bradley Cooper is absolutely fantastic. This is by far the best role he's ever had and he shows that he really is a very good actor. Jennifer Lawrence is also incredible. Not only is she stunning but the range of her acting abilities seems to have no bounds. A lot of that range is shown in this film and, while I can't confirm that she did in fact perform better than the competition, I can say that her role was flawless and I can't argue her winning an Oscar for it. The supporting cast was also great with Robert De Niro and Chris Tucker, among others, providing added depth to the movie. The only flaw I had was that it dragged quite a bit towards the middle/end portion. It started great and ended great and most of the middle was very entertaining but from about the 60% to 80% part of the film it did feel a bit sluggish. Nonetheless, the dialogue and character development keeps you intrigued so I think most people would appreciate the movie. Expand
  24. May 4, 2013
    The best movie of 2012. An amazing dramedy which pulls together bipolar teachers and a dance contest with a crazy girl in a way that you would never expect from the director of The Fighter. The funniest and saddest movie I've seen in a long time. This movie, while amazing and artistic, was extremely unappreciated by both the oscars and the golden globes. Still, this is one of my all time favorite movies. Expand
  25. May 4, 2013
    Silver Linings Playbook is wonderful. Everybody and I mean everybody acted brilliantly. Bradley Cooper and Jennifer Lawrence complement each other perfectly, which made the movie believable. The film strikes a good balance between humor, drama, and quirkiness.
  26. May 1, 2013
    Going into this movie, I had seen David O. Russell's last film, The Fighter. This movie was just as good, and he has now become a favorite director of mine. With utterly perfect casting, and a great story, the movie delivered and left me not only satisfied, but very impressed and happy. Jennifer Lawrence deserved every ounce of that Oscar, and likewise for the nominations for the other three. Easily my favorite film of 2012. Expand
  27. Apr 26, 2013
    Very nice movie. My girlfriend make me watch, but what a good surprise.
    I think the history was well prepared with drama and some fun. The actors fit on it very well.

That movie worth.
  28. Apr 19, 2013
    I love this movie so much, both my best friend and I have seen it more than once at the cinema. It's primarily a drama, not a comedy as some people have advertised. Best drama I have seen.
  29. Apr 18, 2013
    It is surprising how the movie is able to combine so many conflicts in 120 minutes, and still make me laughing at some point. It is one of those movies which you thought it was plain while watching it, but when you think about it moments later, you'll find it good. I see blue sky, white clouds and shining sun in my mind while the credits going. Definitely not good enough to win Oscar for The Best Movie, but obviously good enough to win Jennifer The Best Actress. Expand
  30. Apr 14, 2013
    This film should have won Best Film at the Oscars in my opinion. I absolutely loved this movie and the acting of the wonderful cast. It was just amazing seeing the portrayal of these emotional characters on screen.

1. Reviewed by: David Denby
    Nov 26, 2012
    Pretty much a miscalculation from beginning to end. [26 Nov. 2012, p.87]
  2. Reviewed by: Peter Bradshaw
    Nov 25, 2012
    Likable, watchable and has a nice supporting turn from Robert De Niro; I'm not sure I wouldn't rather watch this again than the macho acting in Russell's boxing drama "The Fighter."
  3. Reviewed by: Marc Mohan
    Nov 23, 2012
    A funny, believable film about the ability of even the damaged and imperfect to earn a little happiness.