8.4

1. Dec 13, 2012
    A unique film because of the way it tells a light human story in such a hard dramatic way. The most invigorating aspect of Silver Linings Playbook- and there are many- is its masterful script and the actors delivering the well-paced, careful lines. There isn
  2. Nov 26, 2012
    Enjoy every bit of the movie. It was funny, sweet and I love both actors. I would see it again. My daughter and I both found it to be a movie to remember.
  3. Dec 12, 2012
    I thoroughly enjoyed this movie. I do like both Bradley Cooper and Jennifer Lawrence, but this film also features a variety of other great actors who I love. Such as Robert de Niro, Chris Tucker, Julia Stiles and Shea Whigham. The plot is interesting, the acting is great, the comedy value is high but most of all this features an emotional tale between two crazy people. This is definitelyI thoroughly enjoyed this movie. I do like both Bradley Cooper and Jennifer Lawrence, but this film also features a variety of other great actors who I love. Such as Robert de Niro, Chris Tucker, Julia Stiles and Shea Whigham. The plot is interesting, the acting is great, the comedy value is high but most of all this features an emotional tale between two crazy people. This is definitely a a great movie to watch with a loved one or date. But I went, alone, and still enjoyed it a lot. Definitely worth the watch! Expand
  4. Dec 9, 2012
    With the help of Bradley Cooper and Jennifer Lawrence's best performances to date, a fantastically charming screenplay, and David O. Russell's substantial directorial prowess, "Silver Linings Playbook" easily soars above the conventional romantic comedy with its honesty.
  5. Jan 17, 2013
    "Silver Linings Playbook" avoids all the rom-com pitfalls and clichés, a breath of fresh air to a stigmatized genre I typically evade. It is an unconventional, quirky, amusing comedy drama about troubled people looking for love, and one the best romantic comedies in recent memory.
    After a stint in a mental institution, former teacher Pat Solitano (Bradley Cooper) moves back in with his parents, and tries to reconcile with his ex-wife (Brea Bee), who has a restraining order against him. Pat is curiously confident and upbeat despite this because he's determined to repair the damage he's done to his life and surprise everyone by moving onward and upward. Things get more challenging when Pat meets Tiffany (Jennifer Lawrence), a mysterious girl with problems of her own. Tiffany offers to help Pat reconnect with his wife, but only if he'll do something very important for her in return. As their deal plays out, an unexpected bond begins to form between them, and silver linings appear in both of their lives.
    The phenomenal performances by Bradley Cooper, Jennifer Lawrence, and Robert DeNiro is what makes this film work so well. In addition, terrific supporting roles by Chris Tucker who works his motor-mouth with some of the best lines in the film, while Jacki Weaver as Pat's mom brings a little touch as any mother character would toward the son.
    David O Russell's screenplay is fantastic in the way it requires both father and son to face and deal with their mental problems together, through the Philadelphia Eagles, and a dance contest none the less. Addressing serious life issues with grit and emotion, injected with a great dose of humor throughout. The writing is sharp, witty and insightful with great character development. "Silver Linings Playbook" is ultimately a beautiful film about being comfortable with oneself, and approaching life with a sense of optimism despite shortcomings and setbacks.
  6. Dec 5, 2012
    Bradley Cooper perfectly portrays a man struggling with his bi-polar disorder. He's warm and funny but also scary and delusional. The rest of the cast (including a revelatory performance by Jennifer Lawrence) is also terrific. The film captures the chaos and confusion of people dealing with mental issues well enough to forgive its neat Hollywood ending.
  7. Dec 8, 2012
    The best film I've seen this year; loved the story, Bradley Cooper and Jennifer Lawrence were perfect; the supporting cast was fantastic. Loved it!!
  8. Dec 12, 2012
    Rom com for the intelligentsia. Well paced. Well acted and directed with flair the film is enjoyable, but , somehow insubstantial. There is a rather hysterical scene near the end and the very last scene is superfluous. Good, but overrated.
  9. Dec 15, 2012
    This movie is exactly what a good romantic comedy should be. The story is great and rewarding. You learn to love the main character and all his weird habits. There are a few flaws. First, I thought Bradly Cooper was way over acting in the film. Second, the doctor character was very unbelievable especially the part where he is drinking with his patient. Third, it felt like they were tryingThis movie is exactly what a good romantic comedy should be. The story is great and rewarding. You learn to love the main character and all his weird habits. There are a few flaws. First, I thought Bradly Cooper was way over acting in the film. Second, the doctor character was very unbelievable especially the part where he is drinking with his patient. Third, it felt like they were trying too hard to get the middle Ammerica vibe instead of a story about an any town USA. As for the positives, the love interest was so good it was amazing. The leads had great chemistry. Chris Tucker was really good. The parents where great. The story was great. The climax was great. Worth watching for sure. Expand
  10. Jan 11, 2013
    Went to see this having NO idea what it was about. All I knew was that it was in Philadelphia. Couldn't have enjoyed this film more! It was wonderful. The first third of the movie leaves one curious as to where the story is going to go, and yes, it is somewhat uncomfortable. But it is supposed to be. Once the story gets going it is just a fun ride. The entire cast was amazing. TheWent to see this having NO idea what it was about. All I knew was that it was in Philadelphia. Couldn't have enjoyed this film more! It was wonderful. The first third of the movie leaves one curious as to where the story is going to go, and yes, it is somewhat uncomfortable. But it is supposed to be. Once the story gets going it is just a fun ride. The entire cast was amazing. The only negative I could give is that the cast didn't sound like they were in Philly. Philadelphians do have a certain accent after all. This is the movie of the year in my opinion. Expand
  11. Jan 2, 2013
    A very different kind of love story that cashes in a little on the ballroom dancing craze while romanticizing mental illness through the genuinely perfect performances of Bradley Cooper and Jennifer Lawrence. Great acting helps this film overcome some cliche moments and a few peculiar writing devices. Chris Tucker, Robert De Niro and Jackie Weaver all work extremely hard to patch over someA very different kind of love story that cashes in a little on the ballroom dancing craze while romanticizing mental illness through the genuinely perfect performances of Bradley Cooper and Jennifer Lawrence. Great acting helps this film overcome some cliche moments and a few peculiar writing devices. Chris Tucker, Robert De Niro and Jackie Weaver all work extremely hard to patch over some of the more predictable moments, making this film a must see. Expand
  12. Dec 27, 2012
    "Silver Linings Playbook" is a film of terrific comedy, drama, and a touch of affection; with two phenomenal performances from its leads, particularly that of the sensational Ms. Lawrence, this dramedy is enchanting and inviting to a contenting result.
  13. Jan 21, 2013
    Silver Linings Playbook is why we go to the movies and I can't remember the last film that evoked such a spectrum of emotions. I grabs you early on and doesn't let go, largely due to it's brilliant performances (a huge nod to Jennifer Lawrence), and culturally relevant screenplay. You will laugh, cry and cheer during several of it's dysfunctionally delicious segments and you'll fall inSilver Linings Playbook is why we go to the movies and I can't remember the last film that evoked such a spectrum of emotions. I grabs you early on and doesn't let go, largely due to it's brilliant performances (a huge nod to Jennifer Lawrence), and culturally relevant screenplay. You will laugh, cry and cheer during several of it's dysfunctionally delicious segments and you'll fall in love with at least a couple of its characters. Backed by an outstanding soundtrack, SLP is one of those films that you'll recommend to everyone you know. Yes, it's that good and thank g-o-dnmovies like this are still being made. It will most assuredly do well at this year's Academy Awards. Expand
  14. Jan 20, 2013
    This movie is smegma. Totally calculated and cynical, nonetheless managing to also be super vapid. Basically, it's a Sleepless In Seattle-style romantic comedy with a vaguely original "mental health" wrapping. You can call out all the most conventional and tired plot devices before they happen; and the ones you can't (like the dance-off) are unpredictable only because they are just so damnThis movie is smegma. Totally calculated and cynical, nonetheless managing to also be super vapid. Basically, it's a Sleepless In Seattle-style romantic comedy with a vaguely original "mental health" wrapping. You can call out all the most conventional and tired plot devices before they happen; and the ones you can't (like the dance-off) are unpredictable only because they are just so damn stupid and belong in another movie. Bradley Cooper is cute, but basically a WB-caliber actor. Hunger Games girl has a weird inauthenticity about her and she's just not believable as this character. I dunno what Robert Deniro is doing in this movie, but he makes the best of a bad situation, at least. I would fear for us as a society if I truly believed this stinker would pass the test of time. Fortunately, I am old enough to know it won't. Expand
  15. Feb 8, 2013
    Annoying camera work, annoying characters, annoying actors, and annoying plot. I wouldn't be surprised if these actors actually act like their characters in real life. There's no point to this film.
  16. Oct 25, 2013
    this movie brings a fresh air to the romantic comedies because with a simple story and great performances especially lawrence can conquer the public..
  17. Mar 30, 2013
    actually to be honest i did not find and exiting thing in the movie there is no good (script ,bad actors except Bradly .bad music bad director )but the most exciting thing for me how Jennifer won the oscar.
    i do not trust in Oscar nomination.
  18. May 30, 2013
    As a fan of hearty movies, I had to rate this film 10 out of 10. The movie is witty, emotional, funny, satisfying, well acted, well directed, well written and just plain awesome. The two lovable main characters Pat and Tiffany played by Bradley Cooper and Jennifer Lawrence are just amazing, and they made me think that maybe there's a little crazy in all of us. So I loved the movie, and IAs a fan of hearty movies, I had to rate this film 10 out of 10. The movie is witty, emotional, funny, satisfying, well acted, well directed, well written and just plain awesome. The two lovable main characters Pat and Tiffany played by Bradley Cooper and Jennifer Lawrence are just amazing, and they made me think that maybe there's a little crazy in all of us. So I loved the movie, and I recommend it to all movie goers out there because Silver Linings Playbook is flawless. Expand
  19. Jan 26, 2013
    I watched this movie after seeing clips of Jennifer Lawrence's acceptance speech @ the Golden Globes. First off, Jennifer Lawrence is adorable and what a nice a**. Her performance in this movie was spot on. I really enjoyed the scene in the home between her and Robert DeNiro. I didn't realize he was in this movie. That must have been so exciting for Jennifer Lawrence, to be able to workI watched this movie after seeing clips of Jennifer Lawrence's acceptance speech @ the Golden Globes. First off, Jennifer Lawrence is adorable and what a nice a**. Her performance in this movie was spot on. I really enjoyed the scene in the home between her and Robert DeNiro. I didn't realize he was in this movie. That must have been so exciting for Jennifer Lawrence, to be able to work with Robert DeNiro, so early on in her career. I would guess working with him makes you bring your "A" game. That is also why I think Bradley Cooper brought the noise as well with his performance. Loved the dance scenes! This movie is more than a 'chick flick'. It is gripping, moving and a heartfelt love story that takes on so many problems people face in their own lives. Great performances by all and definitely worth the price of admission. Who knos fellas, you may even feel all warm inside at the end. Expand
  20. BKM
    Jan 23, 2013
    The main reason to watch Silver Linings Playbook is for the performances, particularly the two leads who have terrific chemistry. Bradley Cooper ventures out of his comfort zone and actually has to act instead of coasting by on his looks and Jennifer Lawrence is superb as usual. The two of them manage to hide a lot the movies flaws including it's third act problems as well as itsThe main reason to watch Silver Linings Playbook is for the performances, particularly the two leads who have terrific chemistry. Bradley Cooper ventures out of his comfort zone and actually has to act instead of coasting by on his looks and Jennifer Lawrence is superb as usual. The two of them manage to hide a lot the movies flaws including it's third act problems as well as its reluctance to deal with mental illness in any meaningful fashion. Expand
  21. Jun 4, 2013
    "A truly terrific and humorous movie all across the board. Bradley Cooper and Jennifer Lawrence shine in there best performances to date. Its a movie we all can feel good about and walk away with a great message. David O Russel is truly a genius" A-
  22. Sep 22, 2013
    I found it a little hard to get into at first with Bradley Cooper over-acting in places, which was beginning to put me off. The introduction of Tiffany (Jennifer Lawrence) though changed all that and the narrative began to make more sense. All the performances were excellent with (for me) Jennifer Lawrence standing out. Yes, I know De Niro is there but he’s really not a major characterI found it a little hard to get into at first with Bradley Cooper over-acting in places, which was beginning to put me off. The introduction of Tiffany (Jennifer Lawrence) though changed all that and the narrative began to make more sense. All the performances were excellent with (for me) Jennifer Lawrence standing out. Yes, I know De Niro is there but he’s really not a major character although he does play his part very well. Bradley Cooper was good, but no better really than I have seen him before. The action is littered with an awful lot of music, some I was familiar with and some not so much; all of it fitted the visuals well though and it made for a welcome enhancement to the entertainment. Over all I found it a well rounded romantic comedy (with some drama thrown in for good measure) and just a twist of quirkiness. It even touched me on an emotional level (a rare thing these days) so it gets a pretty high recommendation from me.

SteelMonster’s verdict: HIGHLY RECOMMENDED

My score: 8.3/10.
  23. Feb 23, 2013
    This is a most enjoyable, convincing, thoughtful and true to life comedy/drama/romance about a dysfunctional family. There's an excellent screenplay, direction and four strong acting performances in this film. Jennifer Lawrence's performance is especially impressive.
  24. Feb 23, 2013
    This is a comedy of category A, this love story between 2 people with mental health problems makes that the Viewer is love, at a certain point no I thought it was the best movie of the year, but if offers the best deal with the best performances of the year, mainly Lawrence, Cooper and De Niro.
  25. Jan 28, 2013
    The greatest date movie I've seen in years, or ever. Funny, sad, serious, everything. Plus, if you have any experiences with the subject matter you will have a lot to relate to. A couple unrealistic issues are no big deal to anyone except the annoying self-righteous types.
  26. Feb 22, 2013
    Incredible movie. Cooper and Lawrence could both be up for an Oscar for this puppy. The development of Cooper's character is given with care and validity. My only gripe is the betting of the football game and dance. That seemed a little cliche.
  27. Mar 12, 2014
    An interesting and different story. Terrific characters and even better characters who bring these characters to life- Silver Linings Playbook is amazing. Well, we best start with the story. Pat/Bradley Cooper has just left a mental hospital after he assaulted a man who was having an affair with this wife- and he also has bipolar... after reconnecting with his family and friends, heAn interesting and different story. Terrific characters and even better characters who bring these characters to life- Silver Linings Playbook is amazing. Well, we best start with the story. Pat/Bradley Cooper has just left a mental hospital after he assaulted a man who was having an affair with this wife- and he also has bipolar... after reconnecting with his family and friends, he eventually meets Tiffany/Jennifer Lawrence who has also been experiencing mental illnesses of her own after her husband died. The two become friends after Tiffany agrees to help Pat communicate with his wife by becoming her dance partner for a competition she wants to take part in. While the story is very interesting and different from other movies of its genre, another thing that makes this movie so amazing is the performances. Robert de Niro is great as Pat's father, and Bradley Cooper also does a fantastic job playing Pat. But, for me personally, Jennifer Lawrence hands down offers the best performance of the film- definitely worthy of her Oscar. The way she portrays Tiffany, with her mental illness, severe mood swings, borderline depression and interesting personality is absolutely fantastic. While the performances are very praiseworthy, the film's dialogue is also very funny, with just the somewhat suttle humorous side- like Pat's persistent mentioning of Tiffany's husband's death or how Tiffany lost her job. Overall, a very heartwarming movie which definitely deserves all the praise it gets. And that is why Silver Linings Playbook is one of my favourite films of all time. Expand
  28. Jul 2, 2013
    One of the best films of the year. Silver Linings isn't just one of the best feel good movies of recent times but it's also enormously entertaining and a crowd pleaser at that. The film focuses upon Pat Solitano (Bradley Cooper), a man suffering from bipolar disorder recently released from a psychiatric hospital returns home to live with his parents, Pat Sr. (Robert De Niro) & DelorisOne of the best films of the year. Silver Linings isn't just one of the best feel good movies of recent times but it's also enormously entertaining and a crowd pleaser at that. The film focuses upon Pat Solitano (Bradley Cooper), a man suffering from bipolar disorder recently released from a psychiatric hospital returns home to live with his parents, Pat Sr. (Robert De Niro) & Deloris (Jacki Weaver). Determined to win back his estranged wife, he meets Tiffany (Jennifer Lawrence) who recently widowed agrees to help him if he enters dance competition with her. As they become closer they both must deal with their relationships with each other whilst coping with their disorders. The performances of the leads were lauded and it's easy to see why. They give some phenomenal performances. Cooper and Lawrence in the lead roles are incredible! The pair's edgy raport and mesmerizing chemistry sees them both deliver a pitch perfect performance. It's relationship that is a sheer delight to watch! Lawrence won the Academy Award and rightfully so, she is superb, especially when you consider she was just 21 at the time. Cooper also proves to an instant hit His stock continues to rise and he is outstanding in his role. They ren't alone and whilst they steal the show the legendary De Niro comes up trumps once again working with Cooper as his doting, unconventional father. But in such as small role it's Chris Tucker who proves to be irresistible. His presence lights up this film, everyone has witnessed his antics in the Rush Hour franchise but in a more subtle role he excels! Great credit also goes to David O. Russell. His smart screenplay is almost ingenious! The way he tackles mental illness and succeeds delivering such immensely satisfying results is excellent. It's such a charming and sharp film! All in all, this is such a marvellous movie. David O. Russell succeeds were many would have failed. With some career high and possibly defining performances this is a meaningful must see film. Crazy good!! Expand
  29. Feb 22, 2013
    The first two-thirds of the film were pretty great. I was enjoying the acting and the storyline. But then someone decided it was a good idea to throw a ridiculous, moronic bet into the plot and the film kind of falls apart, devolving into a generic (but admittedly sweet) rom-com ending. Worst of all, there was just no need for the goofy bet; the film was going to be fine without it. IThe first two-thirds of the film were pretty great. I was enjoying the acting and the storyline. But then someone decided it was a good idea to throw a ridiculous, moronic bet into the plot and the film kind of falls apart, devolving into a generic (but admittedly sweet) rom-com ending. Worst of all, there was just no need for the goofy bet; the film was going to be fine without it. I give a lot of credit to the actors, then, for making the whole affair watchable anyway. Cooper and Lawrence do their best work ever here, and De Niro and Tucker get their best roles in years. Expand
  30. May 29, 2014
    An oddly uneven film full of lots of WTF moments. Billed as a romantic comedy that is neither romantic nor comedic, this film never seemed to figure out what it wanted to be. Starts off as "one flew over the cuckoos nest" and ends as "dirty dancing". The whole bet thing at the end is implausible, as is having a dancefloor built into your house, a cop always turning up within a second ofAn oddly uneven film full of lots of WTF moments. Billed as a romantic comedy that is neither romantic nor comedic, this film never seemed to figure out what it wanted to be. Starts off as "one flew over the cuckoos nest" and ends as "dirty dancing". The whole bet thing at the end is implausible, as is having a dancefloor built into your house, a cop always turning up within a second of you doing something wrong and trusting all your money on someone you hardly know on a competition you know nothing about. Great performances by Bradley Cooper and Jennifer Lawrence, which is why I suspect all the reviewers like it, however the rest of the cast is weak (particularly Robert De Niro who, yet again, phones in his part). Expected so much more from this but overall it's one of those films that you forget as soon as you finish watching it. Expand

1. Reviewed by: David Denby
    Nov 26, 2012
    Pretty much a miscalculation from beginning to end. [26 Nov. 2012, p.87]
  2. Reviewed by: Peter Bradshaw
    Nov 25, 2012
    Likable, watchable and has a nice supporting turn from Robert De Niro; I'm not sure I wouldn't rather watch this again than the macho acting in Russell's boxing drama "The Fighter."
  3. Reviewed by: Marc Mohan
    Nov 23, 2012
    A funny, believable film about the ability of even the damaged and imperfect to earn a little happiness.