8.3

1. May 22, 2013
    A great film that isn't afraid to have a main character who is a little off his rocker.
    Bipolar disorder, OCD and other mental illnesses are far too common in life, and rarely seen in the cinema.
    To take characters, give them real life problems, and throw them into a romantic genre film and let them scream, fight, dance, and love is to bring those characters to life. Bravo.
  2. May 21, 2013
    It is too rare that a movie manages to achieve more than double as much of all feelings by the first half than another one of its genre. "Silver Linings Playbook" is not only a fantastic movie with wel-shot scenes and amazing casting, but in also makes you feel with the characters for whom you actually start to feel some sort of sympathy. 10+ for sure.
  3. May 21, 2013
    It's Oscar nominee for best picture of the year that fact alone matters great deal, outstanding acting(Bradley Cooper delivers his best), interesting and very realistic story makes you care about it's characters! This is must own
  4. May 4, 2013
    The best movie of 2012. An amazing dramedy which pulls together bipolar teachers and a dance contest with a crazy girl in a way that you would never expect from the director of The Fighter. The funniest and saddest movie I've seen in a long time. This movie, while amazing and artistic, was extremely unappreciated by both the oscars and the golden globes. Still, this is one of my all time favorite movies. Expand
  5. May 1, 2013
    Going into this movie, I had seen David O. Russell's last film, The Fighter. This movie was just as good, and he has now become a favorite director of mine. With utterly perfect casting, and a great story, the movie delivered and left me not only satisfied, but very impressed and happy. Jennifer Lawrence deserved every ounce of that Oscar, and likewise for the nominations for the other three. Easily my favorite film of 2012. Expand
  6. Apr 26, 2013
    Very nice movie. My girlfriend make me watch, but what a good surprise.
    I think the history was well prepared with drama and some fun. The actors fit on it very well.

That movie worth.
  7. Apr 19, 2013
    I love this movie so much, both my best friend and I have seen it more than once at the cinema. It's primarily a drama, not a comedy as some people have advertised. Best drama I have seen.
  8. Apr 14, 2013
    This film should have won Best Film at the Oscars in my opinion. I absolutely loved this movie and the acting of the wonderful cast. It was just amazing seeing the portrayal of these emotional characters on screen.
  9. Apr 2, 2013
    This movie was a joy to watch; Jennifer Lawrence and Bradley Cooper were fantastic and i was especially pleased to see Deniro playing a more interesting character. Highly recommended!
  10. Mar 2, 2013
    David O.Russel is a genius perfect writing beautiful story really likebale characters and an inforgatable performences by the actors especially jennifer lawrence and bradely cooper who proove to be one of hollywood strongest performers, really worth watching
  11. Feb 28, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Maravillosa, sensible, sencilla, real, divertida, solo cosas buenas se merece Los juegos del destino. Me sorprendí al ver entre los nominado al Oscar una película que creí ver miles de veces, comedia romántica cursi, predecible, cero innovadora. Pero que equivocada estaba, Los juegos del destino tiene todos los ingredientes para que por fin una película de su género saque la cara y demuestre que no se tiene que llegar al colmo del sentimentalismo y del ridículo para que una película sea profunda, seria y además graciosa.

La película se basa en el libro del mismo nombre (The Silver Linings Playbook) escrita por Matthew Quick se centra en la vida de Pat (Brandly Cooper) un profesor que sufre del trastorno bipolar y que tiene una grave crisis a raíz de la infidelidad de su esposa, después de salir de una institución mental se empeña en recuperarla a como dé lugar. Es difícil ver a Cooper en un papel diferente al de perdedor, sin embargo hace una gran actuación, tanto para merecer una nominación al Oscar y el reconocimiento de la crítica que lo coloca ahora en otro nivel.

Pat conoce a Tiffany, una viuda con graves problemas de autoestima y para nada estable en su vida sentimental, Jennifer se luce con esta actuación ganándose ayer el premio Oscar a mejor actriz, sus apariciones tienen fuerza y realmente nos hace creer que está loca de remate, con varias escenas impecables, Tiffany se gana al público que no sabe que esperar de ella y que es totalmente impredecible en la mayor parte de la película.

Robert Deniro y Jacki Weaver ambos nominados a los premios de la academia, hacen magníficas interpretaciones como los padres de Pat, ellos quieren apoyarlo después de la dura crisis que tuvo, pero esto es más difícil de lo que esperaban porque debe luchar con sus propios trastornos personales que combinados con los de Pat hacen una mezcla bastante divertida que en varias escenas lograron hacerme reír demasiado.

Todos los personajes secundarios están perfectamente estructurados al igual que los principales, la película está bien dirigida, tiene un guion excelente y actuaciones de primer nivel, la película con el mejor reparto del año.

La debilidad de la cinta recae al final, un final sin sorpresas que a muchos nos gusta a otros no tanto, pero ahí está, con corazoncitos a su alrededor la pareja logra solucionar los graves problemas expuestos en el desarrollo de la trama, dejándonos bien claro que sin importar como decidan traducir el título de la película en los juegos del destino siempre hay que ver el lado bueno de las cosas.

Película imperdible, en cualquier formato, cine, DVD, PPV, recomendada al 100%
  12. Feb 28, 2013
    This movie had me smiling all the way through. All the characters are full of life and energy. They're all a little crazy, even the sane ones, and I think that describes us all.
  13. Feb 27, 2013
    All I know is that when I first watched this as opposed to the movie that did win the Oscar, I did not feel strongly that it didn't deserve Best Picture. The casting was great. The nut jobs were all entertaining. We can all lament the plot for its predictability but the title had silver lining in it, and they kept talking about negativity, so I'm glad they did not resort to shock value so that the movie would come across as something it wasn't supposed to be. The acting and the references and jokes about Bipolar Disorder gave this movie a fresh face where it could simply have been a second rate movie about 'boy meets girl' with a little dancing at the side. The first half was stronger than the second one. Expand
  14. Feb 23, 2013
    This is a most enjoyable, convincing, thoughtful and true to life comedy/drama/romance about a dysfunctional family. There's an excellent screenplay, direction and four strong acting performances in this film. Jennifer Lawrence's performance is especially impressive.
  15. Feb 22, 2013
    Incredible movie. Cooper and Lawrence could both be up for an Oscar for this puppy. The development of Cooper's character is given with care and validity. My only gripe is the betting of the football game and dance. That seemed a little cliche.
  16. Feb 21, 2013
    Silver Linings is a film that could have done so many things wrong and offended so many people, but luckily it does everything so right and comes across as one of 2012's best films. Patrick suffers from bipolar, brought around by his wife's affair, and he is being let out of an institution for the mentally unstable to go live back at home with his parents. Pat is determined to get back into shape, sort out his mental health problems and sort out his marriage with his wife however the restraining order she put on him makes this extremely difficult and only makes matters worse for him. However when me meets Tiffany, a person who also has mental health issues and can relate to what he is going through they decide to become friends and help each other in each others problems. Pat needs to get back with his wife and Tiffany needs a dance partner, however as the relationship they start grows they begin to realise that what they set out to do in the first place no longer matters as long as they are together.
    Silver Linings is expertly written, well casted, light hearted on serious matter yet never comes across as poking fun at mental health problems. Bradley Cooper and Jennifer Lawrence perfectly compliment yet also contrast with each other in this film in all the right places and the supporting cast including the likes of Robert DeNiro just makes this film truly stand-out from the rest of the 'feel good film' genre. The perfect film to make you feel sad, happy, romantic, angry and ultimately make you realise that everything has a Silver Lining.
  17. Feb 17, 2013
    'Silver Linings Playbook' is the best romantic comedy of the year, holding up with a plot that some crazy characters, I can only say that is insanely good. Bradley does its best to deliver a great performance, but make no mistake, the film is Jennifer Lawrence.
  18. Feb 13, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Two endings: one happy, one sad, wind up Billy Brown's malleable story in Vincent Gallo's Buffalo '66, the 1998 cult classic that informs Silver Linings Playbook: sometimes broadly, sometimes not. Like any good quarterback, however, the film calls many audibles and creates something new from the prevailing framework. But make no mistake about it, the QB scouted the Bills-themed indie. The QB knows the players. Billy, lost and unloved, just released from prison for a crime he didn't commit, inevitably, finds himself at a strip joint, bent on revenge with gun in hand, staring down Scott Wood, a retired placekicker whose missed game-winning field goal prompted in Billy a default on his wager to a local bookie that the designated fall guy couldn't begin to recompense. As the club's owner, Scott holds court in a private booth, in which the Super Bowl goat, surrounded by topless women, takes a bullet in the forehead before the disgruntled gambler turns the gun to the side of his own temple. Excelsior, Pat's notion that every bad situation has a silver lining is something Billy doesn't prescribe to, or so it seems, at first. Who is the omniscient QB(read: narrator) that changes the called play: the murder/suicide? Is it the bipolar high school teacher, who similar to the would-be killer, returns home after being incarcerated for a felony(he nearly beats his wife's lover to death), with the difference being that the facility is a mental hospital, not a state penitentiary? Pat, similar to Billy, grew up in a house where the preponderance of football created an extensive amount of dysfunction between parent and child. When Pat Sr. complains that Tiffany is messing up his team's juju, it reveals how for many Americans, football functions as a sort of pagan religion. In the Brown household, O.J. with the pigskin graces their wall, not J.C. on the cross. Moreover, Billy is named after the appelation given to the cold weather city's team. Clearly, both men played(and continue to play) second fiddle to an organization of beefy athletes who on Sunday, diverted their parents from the church and into a stadium, the house of laical worship. Sadly, the discovery made by Tiffany that Pat's catchword doubles as the motto used on the New York State seal, constitutes as a bona fide miracle. In Buffalo '66, god is in the details; the parking lot markings where Billy tries to drive Layla's "shifter car", look conspicuously like hash marks. The eagle, another detail, the symbol that serves as the moniker for Philadelphia's NFL team, doubles as a sign, a street sign in Buffalo, where Billy crosses Eagle Avenue during his quest for a public restroom. Therefore "reading the signs," becomes even more pronounced, becomes more than the key phrase from the letter Tiffany writes in order to trick her fellow codependent into participating at a formal dance competition. She has filmic powers. The audience can read signs, too. Tiffany passes Baldwin(as in bald eagle) Street; she spans time like Billy, but backwards instead of forwards, all the way back to Eagle Avenue. Blink and you'll miss it, but as Tiffany enters the Ben Franklin Hotel, you see a camera flash go off; it's the photo booth scene updated. Other faint echoes abound, especially the moment in Buffalo '66 when Billy runs into Wendy Balsam, his unrequited childhood crush, whose house he used to walk past, since in Silver Linings Playbook, Pat jogs past Tiffany's place, but unlike Wendy, she comes out of the house, crossing Pat's path and greeting him with a sharp "hey". Tiffany, the girl who can span time, by running with her stalker(decked out in a garbage bag), it can be construed, is in a sort of extra-diegetical communique with celluloidal Buffalo and its flickering residents. She's the retroactive ghost in Gallo's film, a conduit from the moving picture future, a second skin beneath Layla, as she coaxes the former Bills fan into believing that he's better than Wendy(who growing up, perceived Billy as garbage), which has ramifications in her own life, since throughout Silver Linings Playbook, she is proving her love for Pat is bigger than Nikki's. Hypothetically speaking, in the performative sense, Silver Linings Playbook has an alchemizing effect on Buffalo '66. The illusion of fluidity in a static art is enacted. The second ending, the one where Billy's reality turns out to be his imagination, becomes the narrative equivalent of a Hail Mary. With Pat helming the quarterback position, he throws A Farewell to Arms through the window, through time, like a football. He then goes into his parents' room and complains about Ernest Hemingway, yelling, "Can't anybody say: Hey, let's be positive? Let's have a good ending to this story?" Billy hears the audible. Outside the nudie bar, he flings his gun into the darkness: a farewell to arms. Because of Tiffany, excelsior becomes his catchword, too. Layla is his silver lining. Expand
  19. Feb 11, 2013
    Really loved this movie as a whole. Lawrence and Cooper showed great chemistry together and were able to craft a story that epitomizes balancing crazy with even more crazy. Felt like a genuine story about life and how we all need a little bit of abnormality once in a while.
  20. Feb 8, 2013
    Fronted by four impeccable performances, 'Silver Linings Playbook' is not your average rom com, but a character drama and story of emotion. It may on the outside seem generic, but David O. Russell has some impressive direction, and wonderful script writing to create an original dramedy film of the highest level. It really is the performances that steal the show here though, with Jennifer Lawrence and Bradley Cooper in particular, theres very few minor faults in this film, but its just too good to complain about them when you get a film this amazing. Expand
  21. Feb 8, 2013
    Really enjoyed this movie. The chemistry between Cooper and Lawrence is great as well as the supporting cast. It comes as the highest compliment from me that you forget you're watching actors, but rather real people. Neither the comedy or drama aspects ever feel stale and you are in it for the whole ride.
  22. Feb 4, 2013
    Silver Linings Playbook is an Beautiful film with A wonderful Story brought to life by Great Acting, Colorful Dialog, and a heartfelt story. This includes the captive performances of the 4 leads with Jennifer Lawrence and Bradley Cooper igniting the most in there characters. Silver Linings Playbook is a film to remember one of the instances to successfully infuse A wonderful Love Story, A great Drama and A funny Comedy. Expand
  23. Feb 3, 2013
    David O. Russell´s Silver Linings Playbook is a great film. It´s funny when it needs to be and dramatic when it needs to be. It´s funny, romantic and a great experience. The screenplay is very well written, believable and funny. The cast is remarkable, Jennifer Lawrence is amazing and Robert DeNiro basically reinvented himself. The movie is such a great experience, it´s fun, charming and delightful. It is definitely a must-see! Expand
  24. Feb 2, 2013
    One of the best movies this year. Top notch performances from every cast member. Sad and funny at the same time. It gets a little bit unrealistic around the last part, but I like it anyways, because when the movie ended I felt good, and there is nothing more to ask...Now we should go and find our silver linings too.
  25. Feb 2, 2013
    I loved this heartwarming movie that makes you feel good without it getting all syrupy. At the heart of the film is wonderful acting with both Jennifer Lawrence and Bradley Cooper delivering great performances. Also take note of the sound track featuring a duet between Bob Dylan and Johnny Cash.
  26. Jan 30, 2013
    Jennifer Lawrence slam-dunked every part of this movie. She has officially broken herself away from Catnip, and broadened her horizons to psychotic, sarcastically hilarious, bad-girl while still holding up her sex-appeal. Bradley Cooper--- Great acting. He couldn't compare to Jennifer though. The story line was amazing. A little slow, at first, but it leaves you at the edge of your seat the rest of the time. Many people who gave this bad ratings has either A) harsh feelings about certain football teams or B) only watched the first act. It's a movie I would NOT miss out on. Expand
  27. Jan 28, 2013
    The greatest date movie I've seen in years, or ever. Funny, sad, serious, everything. Plus, if you have any experiences with the subject matter you will have a lot to relate to. A couple unrealistic issues are no big deal to anyone except the annoying self-righteous types.
  28. Jan 27, 2013
    Fresh and original, Silver Linings Playbook is my favorite film of 2012! It's a family drama, a romantic comedy, and a touching story of people suffering from mental illness, but all the while it transcends all these genres making SLP a unique movie experience. Powerfully acted by its leads Jennifer Lawrence and Bradley Cooper who gives the best performance of his career, as well as the supporting cast. Perfectly directed by David O Russel. Overall, just an amazing film that I absolutely loved. Expand
  29. Jan 27, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Silver Linings Playbook is a fun movie, with the usual compromises that touchy-feely family comedies have, especially when mixed with a heavy amount of clinical disfunctionalism.
    Most of the casting was fine, the script and work of the cast drew us in to the characters and the semi-plausible tale will bring tears to the eyes of the optimists in the audience.
    There was a little too much psychosis for me, but it was a fun two hours and the ending didn't disappoint.
  30. Jan 26, 2013
    I would first like to say, this is my favorite movie that is in the line up for the oscars. It has the best acting I have seen in years and deserves to be the first movie in 31 years to be nominated in all four acting categories. The direction is spot on rendering the audience to the emotional complexities of this movie and along with the writing renders your brain to its mercy. The commercials do not explain this movie at all. It is so much better than a simple rom-com. It is a heartfelt interpretation of these peoples lives with indie cinematography that works because of their repetition and delivery. The editing is dependent on how the main characters think in this movie and brings fast cuts to an honorable new high. This movie is one of my favorite movies of all time and it has not a single problem in it. Expand

1. Reviewed by: David Denby
    Nov 26, 2012
    Pretty much a miscalculation from beginning to end. [26 Nov. 2012, p.87]
  2. Reviewed by: Peter Bradshaw
    Nov 25, 2012
    Likable, watchable and has a nice supporting turn from Robert De Niro; I'm not sure I wouldn't rather watch this again than the macho acting in Russell's boxing drama "The Fighter."
  3. Reviewed by: Marc Mohan
    Nov 23, 2012
    A funny, believable film about the ability of even the damaged and imperfect to earn a little happiness.