Silver Linings Playbook

8.5

1. May 30, 2013
    As a fan of hearty movies, I had to rate this film 10 out of 10. The movie is witty, emotional, funny, satisfying, well acted, well directed, well written and just plain awesome. The two lovable main characters Pat and Tiffany played by Bradley Cooper and Jennifer Lawrence are just amazing, and they made me think that maybe there's a little crazy in all of us. So I loved the movie, and IAs a fan of hearty movies, I had to rate this film 10 out of 10. The movie is witty, emotional, funny, satisfying, well acted, well directed, well written and just plain awesome. The two lovable main characters Pat and Tiffany played by Bradley Cooper and Jennifer Lawrence are just amazing, and they made me think that maybe there's a little crazy in all of us. So I loved the movie, and I recommend it to all movie goers out there because Silver Linings Playbook is flawless. Expand
  2. Jan 26, 2013
    I watched this movie after seeing clips of Jennifer Lawrence's acceptance speech @ the Golden Globes. First off, Jennifer Lawrence is adorable and what a nice a**. Her performance in this movie was spot on. I really enjoyed the scene in the home between her and Robert DeNiro. I didn't realize he was in this movie. That must have been so exciting for Jennifer Lawrence, to be able to workI watched this movie after seeing clips of Jennifer Lawrence's acceptance speech @ the Golden Globes. First off, Jennifer Lawrence is adorable and what a nice a**. Her performance in this movie was spot on. I really enjoyed the scene in the home between her and Robert DeNiro. I didn't realize he was in this movie. That must have been so exciting for Jennifer Lawrence, to be able to work with Robert DeNiro, so early on in her career. I would guess working with him makes you bring your "A" game. That is also why I think Bradley Cooper brought the noise as well with his performance. Loved the dance scenes! This movie is more than a 'chick flick'. It is gripping, moving and a heartfelt love story that takes on so many problems people face in their own lives. Great performances by all and definitely worth the price of admission. Who knos fellas, you may even feel all warm inside at the end. Expand
  3. BKM
    Jan 23, 2013
    The main reason to watch Silver Linings Playbook is for the performances, particularly the two leads who have terrific chemistry. Bradley Cooper ventures out of his comfort zone and actually has to act instead of coasting by on his looks and Jennifer Lawrence is superb as usual. The two of them manage to hide a lot the movies flaws including it's third act problems as well as itsThe main reason to watch Silver Linings Playbook is for the performances, particularly the two leads who have terrific chemistry. Bradley Cooper ventures out of his comfort zone and actually has to act instead of coasting by on his looks and Jennifer Lawrence is superb as usual. The two of them manage to hide a lot the movies flaws including it's third act problems as well as its reluctance to deal with mental illness in any meaningful fashion. Expand
  4. Jun 4, 2013
    "A truly terrific and humorous movie all across the board. Bradley Cooper and Jennifer Lawrence shine in there best performances to date. Its a movie we all can feel good about and walk away with a great message. David O Russel is truly a genius" A-
  5. Sep 22, 2013
    I found it a little hard to get into at first with Bradley Cooper over-acting in places, which was beginning to put me off. The introduction of Tiffany (Jennifer Lawrence) though changed all that and the narrative began to make more sense. All the performances were excellent with (for me) Jennifer Lawrence standing out. Yes, I know De Niro is there but he’s really not a major characterI found it a little hard to get into at first with Bradley Cooper over-acting in places, which was beginning to put me off. The introduction of Tiffany (Jennifer Lawrence) though changed all that and the narrative began to make more sense. All the performances were excellent with (for me) Jennifer Lawrence standing out. Yes, I know De Niro is there but he’s really not a major character although he does play his part very well. Bradley Cooper was good, but no better really than I have seen him before. The action is littered with an awful lot of music, some I was familiar with and some not so much; all of it fitted the visuals well though and it made for a welcome enhancement to the entertainment. Over all I found it a well rounded romantic comedy (with some drama thrown in for good measure) and just a twist of quirkiness. It even touched me on an emotional level (a rare thing these days) so it gets a pretty high recommendation from me.

SteelMonster’s verdict: HIGHLY RECOMMENDED

My score: 8.3/10.
  6. Feb 23, 2013
    This is a most enjoyable, convincing, thoughtful and true to life comedy/drama/romance about a dysfunctional family. There's an excellent screenplay, direction and four strong acting performances in this film. Jennifer Lawrence's performance is especially impressive.
  7. Feb 23, 2013
    This is a comedy of category A, this love story between 2 people with mental health problems makes that the Viewer is love, at a certain point no I thought it was the best movie of the year, but if offers the best deal with the best performances of the year, mainly Lawrence, Cooper and De Niro.
  8. Jan 28, 2013
    The greatest date movie I've seen in years, or ever. Funny, sad, serious, everything. Plus, if you have any experiences with the subject matter you will have a lot to relate to. A couple unrealistic issues are no big deal to anyone except the annoying self-righteous types.
  9. Feb 22, 2013
    Incredible movie. Cooper and Lawrence could both be up for an Oscar for this puppy. The development of Cooper's character is given with care and validity. My only gripe is the betting of the football game and dance. That seemed a little cliche.
  10. Mar 12, 2014
    An interesting and different story. Terrific characters and even better characters who bring these characters to life- Silver Linings Playbook is amazing. Well, we best start with the story. Pat/Bradley Cooper has just left a mental hospital after he assaulted a man who was having an affair with this wife- and he also has bipolar... after reconnecting with his family and friends, heAn interesting and different story. Terrific characters and even better characters who bring these characters to life- Silver Linings Playbook is amazing. Well, we best start with the story. Pat/Bradley Cooper has just left a mental hospital after he assaulted a man who was having an affair with this wife- and he also has bipolar... after reconnecting with his family and friends, he eventually meets Tiffany/Jennifer Lawrence who has also been experiencing mental illnesses of her own after her husband died. The two become friends after Tiffany agrees to help Pat communicate with his wife by becoming her dance partner for a competition she wants to take part in. While the story is very interesting and different from other movies of its genre, another thing that makes this movie so amazing is the performances. Robert de Niro is great as Pat's father, and Bradley Cooper also does a fantastic job playing Pat. But, for me personally, Jennifer Lawrence hands down offers the best performance of the film- definitely worthy of her Oscar. The way she portrays Tiffany, with her mental illness, severe mood swings, borderline depression and interesting personality is absolutely fantastic. While the performances are very praiseworthy, the film's dialogue is also very funny, with just the somewhat suttle humorous side- like Pat's persistent mentioning of Tiffany's husband's death or how Tiffany lost her job. Overall, a very heartwarming movie which definitely deserves all the praise it gets. And that is why Silver Linings Playbook is one of my favourite films of all time. Expand
  11. Jul 2, 2013
    One of the best films of the year. Silver Linings isn't just one of the best feel good movies of recent times but it's also enormously entertaining and a crowd pleaser at that. The film focuses upon Pat Solitano (Bradley Cooper), a man suffering from bipolar disorder recently released from a psychiatric hospital returns home to live with his parents, Pat Sr. (Robert De Niro) & DelorisOne of the best films of the year. Silver Linings isn't just one of the best feel good movies of recent times but it's also enormously entertaining and a crowd pleaser at that. The film focuses upon Pat Solitano (Bradley Cooper), a man suffering from bipolar disorder recently released from a psychiatric hospital returns home to live with his parents, Pat Sr. (Robert De Niro) & Deloris (Jacki Weaver). Determined to win back his estranged wife, he meets Tiffany (Jennifer Lawrence) who recently widowed agrees to help him if he enters dance competition with her. As they become closer they both must deal with their relationships with each other whilst coping with their disorders. The performances of the leads were lauded and it's easy to see why. They give some phenomenal performances. Cooper and Lawrence in the lead roles are incredible! The pair's edgy raport and mesmerizing chemistry sees them both deliver a pitch perfect performance. It's relationship that is a sheer delight to watch! Lawrence won the Academy Award and rightfully so, she is superb, especially when you consider she was just 21 at the time. Cooper also proves to an instant hit His stock continues to rise and he is outstanding in his role. They ren't alone and whilst they steal the show the legendary De Niro comes up trumps once again working with Cooper as his doting, unconventional father. But in such as small role it's Chris Tucker who proves to be irresistible. His presence lights up this film, everyone has witnessed his antics in the Rush Hour franchise but in a more subtle role he excels! Great credit also goes to David O. Russell. His smart screenplay is almost ingenious! The way he tackles mental illness and succeeds delivering such immensely satisfying results is excellent. It's such a charming and sharp film! All in all, this is such a marvellous movie. David O. Russell succeeds were many would have failed. With some career high and possibly defining performances this is a meaningful must see film. Crazy good!! Expand
  12. Aug 30, 2015
    "Silver Linings Playbook", despite my fears of watching another boring rom-com movie, turns out to be a really funny and touching movie with excellent direction from David O Russell and the puzzling but interesting chemistry between Bradley Cooper and Jennifer Lawrence playing a huge role in bringing the good vibes to the film.
  13. Jan 28, 2013
    One of this year's top Oscar contenders, Silver Lining Playbook has a really great ensemble cast. Jennifer Lawrence is excellent as always, cementing her position as one of this generation's best actress. Kudos for Bradley Cooper, De Niro and Weaver. Despite its flawless cast though, at its heart, Silver Linings Playbook is a romantic comedy, filtered through David O. Russel's grittyOne of this year's top Oscar contenders, Silver Lining Playbook has a really great ensemble cast. Jennifer Lawrence is excellent as always, cementing her position as one of this generation's best actress. Kudos for Bradley Cooper, De Niro and Weaver. Despite its flawless cast though, at its heart, Silver Linings Playbook is a romantic comedy, filtered through David O. Russel's gritty sensibility. The plot follows a predictable trajectory; sure it's peppered with a more 'colorful' i.e. curse filled dialogue, but if you've seen romantic comedies, you'll know the drill. Expand
  14. Apr 2, 2013
    Finally a cinema-going to officially culminate all the Oscar BEST PICTURE nominee of last year, SILVER LININGS PLAYBOOK treads upon a traditionally crowd-pleasing boy-meet-girl romantic genre while smartly embodying two main characters with distinguished personal mental foibles, which is a masterstroke to keep them refreshing and connected with the present quirk-emancipated modernFinally a cinema-going to officially culminate all the Oscar BEST PICTURE nominee of last year, SILVER LININGS PLAYBOOK treads upon a traditionally crowd-pleasing boy-meet-girl romantic genre while smartly embodying two main characters with distinguished personal mental foibles, which is a masterstroke to keep them refreshing and connected with the present quirk-emancipated modern generation.

After his ambitious brothers-boxers drama THE FIGHTER (2010, 8/10), David O. Russell has ascended to the top tier of Hollywood where he can harness marquee stars and meaty source materials, thus, SILVER LININGS PLAYBOOK has all its edges to be winsome and lovable, but somewhat the final outcome doesn’t live up much to the heated expectation, personally I am rather stolid from the American football fanaticism and the “parley gamble” bidding is by no means a recommendable action to be encouraged (but it is an intrinsic default in the source novel, O. Russell should not take the blame here I suppose), anyway, the scenario does make wonders to gyrate a captivating duo-dance between Bradley Cooper and Jennifer Lawrence, both utterly committed to their characters, verbal ripostes are acetic and sharply accessible. The chemistry sparkles albeit of the age-gap of the actors (a inconceivable 15 years in real life).

Jennifer Lawrence’s Oscar-crowning has sparked (understandably)
    controversies (like most of the years), but it is like the film itself, acceptable (for me), the stretch of her character may be impeded by the condescending male-perspective of winning the right girl, why on earth it always ends with a stale “it is the girl who lingers on the verge of being hurt” plot even under the exception of the mighty confidence discharging from Lawrence’s character. Her youth is the double-edged sword in this case, thanks to her mature countenance, audience may not detect it instantly, and the film also bypasses to specify her age. So it is a younger example of Helen Hunt’s win and looks like a future Jodie Foster career orbit, plus her Kristen Stewart popularity (THE HUNGER GAME franchise will continue lighting her path), she is the “it girl” in Hollywood right now and a role model of the industry.

Bradley Cooper, a later-bloomer in his leading man status, has seized an unexpected earlier harvest in Oscar-nomination than most of his contemporaries, although constantly in the danger of being overshadowed by his more sapient co-stars, performance-wise, it is his own victory. Robert De Niro and Jacki Weaver, are not in my top 10 list of the year, since the script doesn’t challenge them hard enough, but they do reflect the slice-of-life authenticity of the endearing parents (except that De Niro’s weeping scene is too maudlin to endure). And forget about Chris Tucker, I don’t know why he pops up here to interrupt his satisfactory (both to him and to me) holed-up.

So, it is a happily-ever-after fairytale full of mentally unstable people with various neuroses, the steady-cam cinematography looks hipster but also impairs one’s concentration, the ultimate dance-routine is mesmerizingly shot, but the banal ending does causing a compulsive meh before the credits rolls, although the final speech is fine and (artificially) sincere.
  15. Apr 18, 2013
    It is surprising how the movie is able to combine so many conflicts in 120 minutes, and still make me laughing at some point. It is one of those movies which you thought it was plain while watching it, but when you think about it moments later, you'll find it good. I see blue sky, white clouds and shining sun in my mind while the credits going. Definitely not good enough to win Oscar forIt is surprising how the movie is able to combine so many conflicts in 120 minutes, and still make me laughing at some point. It is one of those movies which you thought it was plain while watching it, but when you think about it moments later, you'll find it good. I see blue sky, white clouds and shining sun in my mind while the credits going. Definitely not good enough to win Oscar for The Best Movie, but obviously good enough to win Jennifer The Best Actress. Expand
  16. Sep 1, 2014
    Not only do Bradley Cooper and Jennifer Lawrence give two of the best performances of the year, the film is a romantic masterpiece. Between first-rate writing and an ensemble-to-kill, The Weinstein Company has a gem on their hands.
  17. May 4, 2013
    Silver Linings Playbook is wonderful. Everybody and I mean everybody acted brilliantly. Bradley Cooper and Jennifer Lawrence complement each other perfectly, which made the movie believable. The film strikes a good balance between humor, drama, and quirkiness.
  18. Nov 30, 2013
    Jen and Brad are outstanding and display remarkable chemistry. Among one of the best films in years. It is meaningful and hilarious and has a wonderful supporting cast. I just love it.
  19. Feb 21, 2013
    Silver Linings is a film that could have done so many things wrong and offended so many people, but luckily it does everything so right and comes across as one of 2012's best films. Patrick suffers from bipolar, brought around by his wife's affair, and he is being let out of an institution for the mentally unstable to go live back at home with his parents. Pat is determined to get backSilver Linings is a film that could have done so many things wrong and offended so many people, but luckily it does everything so right and comes across as one of 2012's best films. Patrick suffers from bipolar, brought around by his wife's affair, and he is being let out of an institution for the mentally unstable to go live back at home with his parents. Pat is determined to get back into shape, sort out his mental health problems and sort out his marriage with his wife however the restraining order she put on him makes this extremely difficult and only makes matters worse for him. However when me meets Tiffany, a person who also has mental health issues and can relate to what he is going through they decide to become friends and help each other in each others problems. Pat needs to get back with his wife and Tiffany needs a dance partner, however as the relationship they start grows they begin to realise that what they set out to do in the first place no longer matters as long as they are together.
    Silver Linings is expertly written, well casted, light hearted on serious matter yet never comes across as poking fun at mental health problems. Bradley Cooper and Jennifer Lawrence perfectly compliment yet also contrast with each other in this film in all the right places and the supporting cast including the likes of Robert DeNiro just makes this film truly stand-out from the rest of the 'feel good film' genre. The perfect film to make you feel sad, happy, romantic, angry and ultimately make you realise that everything has a Silver Lining.
  20. May 1, 2013
    Going into this movie, I had seen David O. Russell's last film, The Fighter. This movie was just as good, and he has now become a favorite director of mine. With utterly perfect casting, and a great story, the movie delivered and left me not only satisfied, but very impressed and happy. Jennifer Lawrence deserved every ounce of that Oscar, and likewise for the nominations for the otherGoing into this movie, I had seen David O. Russell's last film, The Fighter. This movie was just as good, and he has now become a favorite director of mine. With utterly perfect casting, and a great story, the movie delivered and left me not only satisfied, but very impressed and happy. Jennifer Lawrence deserved every ounce of that Oscar, and likewise for the nominations for the other three. Easily my favorite film of 2012. Expand
  21. Feb 8, 2013
    Fronted by four impeccable performances, 'Silver Linings Playbook' is not your average rom com, but a character drama and story of emotion. It may on the outside seem generic, but David O. Russell has some impressive direction, and wonderful script writing to create an original dramedy film of the highest level. It really is the performances that steal the show here though, with JenniferFronted by four impeccable performances, 'Silver Linings Playbook' is not your average rom com, but a character drama and story of emotion. It may on the outside seem generic, but David O. Russell has some impressive direction, and wonderful script writing to create an original dramedy film of the highest level. It really is the performances that steal the show here though, with Jennifer Lawrence and Bradley Cooper in particular, theres very few minor faults in this film, but its just too good to complain about them when you get a film this amazing. Expand
  22. Mar 13, 2014
    A very good film. Both Bradley Cooper and Jennifer Lawrence did an outstanding job in their respective leading roles. It was entertaining and very original especially for a romantic comedy. It certainly is a movie that will be remembered as being a the top of the genre.
  23. Nov 14, 2013
    Took a little bit for me to get into it, but once I was in, I was hooked. Bradley Cooper and Jennifer Lawrence are phenomenal, and overall, the film is just incredibly touching and heartfelt. Really good film.
  24. Mar 2, 2013
    David O.Russel is a genius perfect writing beautiful story really likebale characters and an inforgatable performences by the actors especially jennifer lawrence and bradely cooper who proove to be one of hollywood strongest performers, really worth watching
  25. Jan 11, 2014
    A surprisingly touching and lively movie, which makes you think about the surrounding life in a more positive way. I liked the story and the performance of ALL the actors was top notch. This movie should not be missed.
  26. Mar 26, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Dopo qualche anno un po’ interlocutorio, un piacere ritrovare Robert De Niro così in forma. Seppur sfavorito dal doppiaggio, il suo Pat sr. si allinea con merito a un lungo elenco di personaggi indimenticabili, molte volte alle prese con qualche disturbo della personalità. Forse non proprio corretto cominciare dal grande Bob nel raccontare il bel film di Russell, ma la sua ottima prova un valido metro per giudicare le altre interpretazioni che si rivelano tutte dello stesso livello: la coppia costituita da De Niro e Jacki Weaver gareggia per intensità con quella principale composta da Bradley Cooper e Jennifer Lawrence, giustificando l’entusiasmo che ha portato tutti e quattro alle nomination da cui poi scaturita la statuetta di migliore attrice protagonista per Lawrence. La ragazza lo si può ben dire, visti i soli ventidue anni pare trasformata rispetto a quella vista in ‘Hunger games’ e dà vita a una Tiffany fragile ma determinata contro la quale va a sbattere (per caso? Forse…) Pat jr, che nasconde dietro lo sguardo di ghiaccio un mondo di insicurezze che Cooper rende con notevole profondità. Il giovanotto ci mette davvero troppo a innamorarsene (o a capire di esserne innamorato) quando, quasi subito, c’è un primo piano, impreziosito dalle gote arrossate in seguito a una corsa, che stenderebbe chiunque: però c’è da capirlo, visto che appena uscito da una clinica e deve combattere contro una personalità bipolare esplosa scoprendo la moglie in flagrante adulterio. Del resto tutta la pellicola parla di difficoltà psichiche: Tiffany combatte contro la depressione originata dalla morte del marito mentre Pat sr. un maniaco ossessivo con la fissa dei Philadelphia Eagles (si pure beccato una sorta di Daspo per comportamenti violenti allo stadio) e delle scommesse, alle quali rischia di sacrificare patrimonio e famiglia. Ma, malgrado le difficoltà, Pat jr. si ostina a cercare il lato positivo (ovvero ‘il bordo argentato delle nuvole’, come da titolo del romanzo di Matthew Quick da cui il regista ha tratto la sceneggiatura), ripetendosi come un mantra ‘Excelsior!’ (letteralmente ‘più in alto!’) fino a dimostrare pur tra frenate e difficoltà, sempre con l’aiuto di Tiffany che l’ottimismo alla fine paga (ovvero ‘il sale della vita’). Affermazioni, queste ultime, che non possono non richiamare alla memoria il cinema di Frank Capra, il cui fantasma pare aleggiare anche nella lacrimogena scena madre finale: il resto della narrazione sembra invece delineare una sorta di Billy Wilder dei giorni nostri, grazie alla capacità di stemperare le amarezze con i sorrisi (e viceversa) e alla vitalità nonché al ritmo di dialoghi taglienti e sovente trascinanti. La qualità della scrittura di Russell si rispecchia nella regia, che ambienta la storia in un anonimo sobborgo fatto di villette con giardino e può così concentrarsi con l’aiuto della fotografia di Masanobu Takayanagi sui volti e sugli stati d’animo dei personaggi. Un insieme di aspetti (lati) positivi che conferma ancora una volta che non tanto importante ciò che si racconta, ma come lo si racconta. Ridotta all’osso, difatti, abbiamo qui una storia di caduta e redenzione che passa attraverso l’amore e una gara di ballo, in cui la diversità sociale sempre meglio dell’ipocrisia (vedi la finta coppia felice composta da Ronnie e Veronica), eppure ‘Il lato positivo’ un film che coinvolge ed emoziona dall’inizio alla fine: riesce così più facile sorvolare con serenità su qualche salto logico, compreso quello abbastanza evidente proprio nel sottofinale, (attenzione, spoiler!) in cui Pat jr., con in tasca la lettera in cui si dichiara, deve farsi spingere dal padre a rincorrere Tiffany (però così De Niro ci guadagna un’altra bella scena…). Expand
  27. Jan 23, 2013
    A sort of modern day When Harry Met Sally, if Harry and Sally were both diagnosed with bi-polar disorder. A funny adult comedy, not your average Kathrine Heigl (post-Knocked Up) rom-com. Nice to see a movie that is romantic, and yet is not a painstakingly dull story that induces the "ooohs and ahhs" from women viewers that love Nicholas Sparks.
  28. Feb 3, 2013
    Good movie, i'm happy that my friend invited me to see it. Long time no see a movie of this type. It was funny and not boring, two of the most important things to me in a movie. It was totally worth it to watch this on the big screens. The main characters had charisma and the movie had moments of comedy, romance and some drama. I recommend this movie to everyone aged above 12, it just hadGood movie, i'm happy that my friend invited me to see it. Long time no see a movie of this type. It was funny and not boring, two of the most important things to me in a movie. It was totally worth it to watch this on the big screens. The main characters had charisma and the movie had moments of comedy, romance and some drama. I recommend this movie to everyone aged above 12, it just had some cussing but ended up being a good movie to everyone. Good start, happy ending like i expected to the main characters (sorry for the spoilers). If you like humour and a weird love story, this movie is good for you.
    Overall i give a 8, not the best movie i ever saw, but one of the best i saw in a while. Usually i like more the horror type, but this one made my day
  29. Feb 27, 2013
    All I know is that when I first watched this as opposed to the movie that did win the Oscar, I did not feel strongly that it didn't deserve Best Picture. The casting was great. The nut jobs were all entertaining. We can all lament the plot for its predictability but the title had silver lining in it, and they kept talking about negativity, so I'm glad they did not resort to shock value soAll I know is that when I first watched this as opposed to the movie that did win the Oscar, I did not feel strongly that it didn't deserve Best Picture. The casting was great. The nut jobs were all entertaining. We can all lament the plot for its predictability but the title had silver lining in it, and they kept talking about negativity, so I'm glad they did not resort to shock value so that the movie would come across as something it wasn't supposed to be. The acting and the references and jokes about Bipolar Disorder gave this movie a fresh face where it could simply have been a second rate movie about 'boy meets girl' with a little dancing at the side. The first half was stronger than the second one. Expand

1. Reviewed by: David Denby
    Nov 26, 2012
    Pretty much a miscalculation from beginning to end. [26 Nov. 2012, p.87]
  2. Reviewed by: Peter Bradshaw
    Nov 25, 2012
    Likable, watchable and has a nice supporting turn from Robert De Niro; I'm not sure I wouldn't rather watch this again than the macho acting in Russell's boxing drama "The Fighter."
  3. Reviewed by: Marc Mohan
    Nov 23, 2012
    A funny, believable film about the ability of even the damaged and imperfect to earn a little happiness.