8.4

1. Feb 28, 2013
    This movie had me smiling all the way through. All the characters are full of life and energy. They're all a little crazy, even the sane ones, and I think that describes us all.
  2. Feb 13, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Two endings: one happy, one sad, wind up Billy Brown's malleable story in Vincent Gallo's Buffalo '66, the 1998 cult classic that informs Silver Linings Playbook: sometimes broadly, sometimes not. Like any good quarterback, however, the film calls many audibles and creates something new from the prevailing framework. But make no mistake about it, the QB scouted the Bills-themed indie. The QB knows the players. Billy, lost and unloved, just released from prison for a crime he didn't commit, inevitably, finds himself at a strip joint, bent on revenge with gun in hand, staring down Scott Wood, a retired placekicker whose missed game-winning field goal prompted in Billy a default on his wager to a local bookie that the designated fall guy couldn't begin to recompense. As the club's owner, Scott holds court in a private booth, in which the Super Bowl goat, surrounded by topless women, takes a bullet in the forehead before the disgruntled gambler turns the gun to the side of his own temple. Excelsior, Pat's notion that every bad situation has a silver lining is something Billy doesn't prescribe to, or so it seems, at first. Who is the omniscient QB(read: narrator) that changes the called play: the murder/suicide? Is it the bipolar high school teacher, who similar to the would-be killer, returns home after being incarcerated for a felony(he nearly beats his wife's lover to death), with the difference being that the facility is a mental hospital, not a state penitentiary? Pat, similar to Billy, grew up in a house where the preponderance of football created an extensive amount of dysfunction between parent and child. When Pat Sr. complains that Tiffany is messing up his team's juju, it reveals how for many Americans, football functions as a sort of pagan religion. In the Brown household, O.J. with the pigskin graces their wall, not J.C. on the cross. Moreover, Billy is named after the appelation given to the cold weather city's team. Clearly, both men played(and continue to play) second fiddle to an organization of beefy athletes who on Sunday, diverted their parents from the church and into a stadium, the house of laical worship. Sadly, the discovery made by Tiffany that Pat's catchword doubles as the motto used on the New York State seal, constitutes as a bona fide miracle. In Buffalo '66, god is in the details; the parking lot markings where Billy tries to drive Layla's "shifter car", look conspicuously like hash marks. The eagle, another detail, the symbol that serves as the moniker for Philadelphia's NFL team, doubles as a sign, a street sign in Buffalo, where Billy crosses Eagle Avenue during his quest for a public restroom. Therefore "reading the signs," becomes even more pronounced, becomes more than the key phrase from the letter Tiffany writes in order to trick her fellow codependent into participating at a formal dance competition. She has filmic powers. The audience can read signs, too. Tiffany passes Baldwin(as in bald eagle) Street; she spans time like Billy, but backwards instead of forwards, all the way back to Eagle Avenue. Blink and you'll miss it, but as Tiffany enters the Ben Franklin Hotel, you see a camera flash go off; it's the photo booth scene updated. Other faint echoes abound, especially the moment in Buffalo '66 when Billy runs into Wendy Balsam, his unrequited childhood crush, whose house he used to walk past, since in Silver Linings Playbook, Pat jogs past Tiffany's place, but unlike Wendy, she comes out of the house, crossing Pat's path and greeting him with a sharp "hey". Tiffany, the girl who can span time, by running with her stalker(decked out in a garbage bag), it can be construed, is in a sort of extra-diegetical communique with celluloidal Buffalo and its flickering residents. She's the retroactive ghost in Gallo's film, a conduit from the moving picture future, a second skin beneath Layla, as she coaxes the former Bills fan into believing that he's better than Wendy(who growing up, perceived Billy as garbage), which has ramifications in her own life, since throughout Silver Linings Playbook, she is proving her love for Pat is bigger than Nikki's. Hypothetically speaking, in the performative sense, Silver Linings Playbook has an alchemizing effect on Buffalo '66. The illusion of fluidity in a static art is enacted. The second ending, the one where Billy's reality turns out to be his imagination, becomes the narrative equivalent of a Hail Mary. With Pat helming the quarterback position, he throws A Farewell to Arms through the window, through time, like a football. He then goes into his parents' room and complains about Ernest Hemingway, yelling, "Can't anybody say: Hey, let's be positive? Let's have a good ending to this story?" Billy hears the audible. Outside the nudie bar, he flings his gun into the darkness: a farewell to arms. Because of Tiffany, excelsior becomes his catchword, too. Layla is his silver lining. Expand
  3. Feb 17, 2013
    'Silver Linings Playbook' is the best romantic comedy of the year, holding up with a plot that some crazy characters, I can only say that is insanely good. Bradley does its best to deliver a great performance, but make no mistake, the film is Jennifer Lawrence.
  4. Jul 7, 2013
    This movie, represents everything an audience dreams of seeing in a movie. First, the acting is superb. Though, this movie is predictable, the story line and great dialogue makes up for it. Jennifer Lawrence and Bradley Cooper, have amazing chemistry together, making it all the more believable. Robert DeNiro and Jackie Weaver, also stole the show, playing the role of Pat Jr. parents. ThisThis movie, represents everything an audience dreams of seeing in a movie. First, the acting is superb. Though, this movie is predictable, the story line and great dialogue makes up for it. Jennifer Lawrence and Bradley Cooper, have amazing chemistry together, making it all the more believable. Robert DeNiro and Jackie Weaver, also stole the show, playing the role of Pat Jr. parents. This movie, is hilarious, dramatic, romantic, and has a beautiful message. 'Silver Linings Playbook', is nothing short of fantastic Expand
  5. Feb 2, 2013
    One of the best movies this year. Top notch performances from every cast member. Sad and funny at the same time. It gets a little bit unrealistic around the last part, but I like it anyways, because when the movie ended I felt good, and there is nothing more to ask...Now we should go and find our silver linings too.
  6. Nov 17, 2012
    This comfortably sits as my movie of the year thus far. I sat with a wide, satisfied smile when it was over. This won't be a full review because I want it to be fresh experience for everyone. I will say that it shows outstanding casting, writing, and directing. And its use of a certain Led Zeppelin song is so pitch perfect, it gave me goose bumps.
  7. Dec 22, 2012
    I really enjoyed this film. The comedy never gets in the way of the drama and vice versa. The performances are all solid. There are several actors you don't see in movies too often anymore and it is pleasant to see them again.
  8. Nov 24, 2012
    A roller coaster ride of a movie with emotions swinging from teary eyed seriousness to laugh out loud moments. Every character was well played and especially good performances from Cooper and Lawrence.
  9. Jan 20, 2013
    Silver Lining Playbook is inspiring for those willing to let their guard down to the uncomfortable realities told by this story, and a tastefully effective display of emotional honesty.
  10. Nov 23, 2012
    A seamless blend of excellent dramatic and comedic acting. Satisfying comedy. Satisfying romance. Dozens of scenes which could have gone awry and none of them do. Some movies just gel and have a special magic and this one did for me. Please go see this movie and support real film making, great writing, and just hardcore fantastic acting.
  11. Nov 29, 2012
    What a brilliant film Bradley Cooper, Jennifer Lawrence, Robert DiNiro, Chris Tucker so funny considering the subject matter after a long day it really cheered me up some brilliant acting and great direction a must see film.
  12. Nov 23, 2012
    Best movie of the year. Not one moment did my wife and I feel any incongruity in any part of this movie. It was funny and real all the way through. Very rewarding if you have accurate people skills & intuition
  13. Jan 12, 2013
    Jennifer Lawrence has arrived. If the Hunger Games did not catapult her to the top Silver Linings Playbook does. All of us in America come from a dysfunctional family. So what? DeNiro is a scream as a die hard Philadelphia Eagle fan. This movie is totally worthy of all the accolades it has received. Definitely worth the price of admission. Go see and enjoy.
  14. Jan 27, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Silver Linings Playbook is a fun movie, with the usual compromises that touchy-feely family comedies have, especially when mixed with a heavy amount of clinical disfunctionalism.
    Most of the casting was fine, the script and work of the cast drew us in to the characters and the semi-plausible tale will bring tears to the eyes of the optimists in the audience.
    There was a little too much psychosis for me, but it was a fun two hours and the ending didn't disappoint.
  15. Lyn
    Jan 20, 2013
    It's no "Ordinary People," but I really enjoyed both the drama and comedy of this film about people just trying to survive in their different ways. And the fact that a competent cast managed to do the job in a mere two hours! Know it's not a "blockbuster," but it's less preachy than "Lincoln," doesn't embellish a real story like "Argo," is more relatable than "Zero," and has a soundtrackIt's no "Ordinary People," but I really enjoyed both the drama and comedy of this film about people just trying to survive in their different ways. And the fact that a competent cast managed to do the job in a mere two hours! Know it's not a "blockbuster," but it's less preachy than "Lincoln," doesn't embellish a real story like "Argo," is more relatable than "Zero," and has a soundtrack that's more enjoyable than 99 percent of the music in "Les Mis." Puzzled, though, by the Oscar nom for Jacki Weaver. She picks the son up at the hospital and that's about it -- kind of a zero compared with (say) Melissa Leo as the mom in "The Fighter." Expand
  16. Dec 17, 2012
    I loved this film. A perfect balance between humor, drama, and quirkiness. I thought the chemistry between Pat and Tiffany was through the roof. The acting and writing are excellent throughout. David O. Russell seems to be one of those directors that gets superb performances by the entire cast. "I made crabbie snacks and homemades!". I laughed every time his mother said it. Pat andI loved this film. A perfect balance between humor, drama, and quirkiness. I thought the chemistry between Pat and Tiffany was through the roof. The acting and writing are excellent throughout. David O. Russell seems to be one of those directors that gets superb performances by the entire cast. "I made crabbie snacks and homemades!". I laughed every time his mother said it. Pat and Tiffany's discussion about all the meds they've taken was hilarious. I laughed a lot during the film and was rooting for these two to get together right from the start. The best romantic comedy I've seen in years. This movie and "Life of Pi" are the best two films I've seen this year. Oh - I also really enjoyed the music selection for the film as well. Expand
  17. Jan 20, 2013
    For me, this film worked at every level. It's funny, sad, tragic, compelling, screwed up and absolutely entertaining. Not a dull moment here and it's not even an action movie! Cooper + Lawrence are beautiful together and believable.
  18. Dec 25, 2012
    If you had a "Rom Com" written by John Cassevetes and Woody Allen with the football part of " Saturday Night Lights"

- mixing in the dance Scene from " Saturday Night Fever" but with a few Double Vodkas thrown in; - quickly You might get a glimmer of how brilliant this very small film is. Loved the Dinner scene, the Diner Scene & Bradley Cooper nails it. Go ! The Acting on a scale

Loved the Dinner scene, the Diner Scene &
    Bradley Cooper nails it.
    Go !
    The Acting on a scale of 1- 10 is a Fifty.
  19. Jan 16, 2013
    Such great dialogue that it deserves an Oscar - and makes you realize how starved you are for intelligent dialogue in movies. Bradley Cooper and Jennifer Lawrence have surprisingly good chemistry and this helps you overcome the desire to (occasionally) slap them silly.
  20. Jan 13, 2013
    The Silver Linings Playbook has no flaws at all. Jennifer Lawrence and Bradley Cooper somehow manage to be the most entertaining characters of the year. The cast gives potent and wonderful performances and it has an excellent screenplay. This is a great film and should be a big hit at the Oscar's. I give this film 94%.
  21. Dec 16, 2012
    People are hopelessly flawed, but that doesn't mean that happiness is out of reach. This movie is a celebration of the human spirit, and I love it so much. Might be my favorite of 2012.
  22. Feb 4, 2013
    Silver Linings Playbook is an Beautiful film with A wonderful Story brought to life by Great Acting, Colorful Dialog, and a heartfelt story. This includes the captive performances of the 4 leads with Jennifer Lawrence and Bradley Cooper igniting the most in there characters. Silver Linings Playbook is a film to remember one of the instances to successfully infuse A wonderful Love Story, ASilver Linings Playbook is an Beautiful film with A wonderful Story brought to life by Great Acting, Colorful Dialog, and a heartfelt story. This includes the captive performances of the 4 leads with Jennifer Lawrence and Bradley Cooper igniting the most in there characters. Silver Linings Playbook is a film to remember one of the instances to successfully infuse A wonderful Love Story, A great Drama and A funny Comedy. Expand
  23. Feb 2, 2013
    I loved this heartwarming movie that makes you feel good without it getting all syrupy. At the heart of the film is wonderful acting with both Jennifer Lawrence and Bradley Cooper delivering great performances. Also take note of the sound track featuring a duet between Bob Dylan and Johnny Cash.
  24. Feb 3, 2013
    David O. Russell´s Silver Linings Playbook is a great film. It´s funny when it needs to be and dramatic when it needs to be. It´s funny, romantic and a great experience. The screenplay is very well written, believable and funny. The cast is remarkable, Jennifer Lawrence is amazing and Robert DeNiro basically reinvented himself. The movie is such a great experience, it´s fun, charming andDavid O. Russell´s Silver Linings Playbook is a great film. It´s funny when it needs to be and dramatic when it needs to be. It´s funny, romantic and a great experience. The screenplay is very well written, believable and funny. The cast is remarkable, Jennifer Lawrence is amazing and Robert DeNiro basically reinvented himself. The movie is such a great experience, it´s fun, charming and delightful. It is definitely a must-see! Expand
  25. Jan 20, 2013
    Well, honestly speaking, Silver Linings Playbook is the best romantic comedy-drama film I have watched in 2012. I'm not even exaggerating it, I'm not a fan of Hollywood romance but there comes a time when someone, out of the blue, does something marvelous. Congratulations to David O. Russell for writing and directing such a wonderful piece of story, which is imperfect, includes aWell, honestly speaking, Silver Linings Playbook is the best romantic comedy-drama film I have watched in 2012. I'm not even exaggerating it, I'm not a fan of Hollywood romance but there comes a time when someone, out of the blue, does something marvelous. Congratulations to David O. Russell for writing and directing such a wonderful piece of story, which is imperfect, includes a dysfunctional family, two damaged persons and despite all those imperfections, it is a flawless and perfect story. Some romantic films seem predictable at times when you're watching them with complete attention but Silver Linings Playbook is unpredictable. You think something bad would happen in the next scene but it turns out to be the complete opposite. Hats off to Bradley Cooper and Jennifer Lawrence's excellent performances. I know how great of an actor Lawrence is, but the big surprise of this film is none other than Cooper; his character and its execution, his dialogues and expressions are wonderful, he has carried it out extremely well, I don't think anyone else would have done it in the same way. Here is an argument that the film doesn't have a powerful story and gets lame at times. My only response to that is this love story is told in such a beautiful way that you can easily ignore all the bad things, but there isn't a single bad thing about this film, for me. My expectations from this film were higher than the Mount Everest and yet it still surprised me with its ingenuity and beauty. The imperfection of its story and its characters is what makes it flawless and perfect and that is the sole reason I call it the best love story of 2012. Expand
  26. Jan 21, 2013
    I loved this movie. I don't usually like Bradley Cooper, but I thought he did great in this movie. Jennifer Lawrence stole the show, though. Her performance really made this movie.
  27. Nov 30, 2012
    The best movie I have seen all year! It had it all...drama, tears, humor, romance...Bradley Cooper was smoking hot and should be an Oscar nominee for this one.
  28. Jan 13, 2013
    This has got to be the best movie I have seen in 2012 ! I was so blown away from the Incredible preformnace by both lead actors: Bradly Cooper and Jennifer Lawrence. Jennifer is such a talented actress. She has proven herself big time in this movie. When she was casted for The Hunger Games I was skeptical and disappointed. But then i saw the movie and I found myself amazed and shocked byThis has got to be the best movie I have seen in 2012 ! I was so blown away from the Incredible preformnace by both lead actors: Bradly Cooper and Jennifer Lawrence. Jennifer is such a talented actress. She has proven herself big time in this movie. When she was casted for The Hunger Games I was skeptical and disappointed. But then i saw the movie and I found myself amazed and shocked by her preformance. She is so talented. She's got a great sense of humor and she was balancing the emotions so well. I can't wait to see her in future movies! Bradly Cooper and Jennifer Lawrence had such a great chemistry between them. The movie was not the normal Romantic comedy and that was the thing that made it so touching. I was so drawn to it. I loved every sec of it! The movie was balanced well and i found myself laughing so hard and then the next minute feeling sad it was a rollercoaster of so many mixed wmotions. I would totally be happy if they win the Oscars. I think they deserve it! Expand
  29. Jan 15, 2013
    Finally! a unique movie that combines elements of real life with the awesome and I mean Oscar winning performance of Bradley Cooper. Also the Led Zepp song was awesome. I give it a Perfect score, done movie of the year
  30. Jan 13, 2013
    I rode the story like an exciting roller coaster ride. The acting by all was superb. Robert DiNiro gives his best performance in years. Clever and spontaneous are the two words I would use to describe this film.

1. Reviewed by: David Denby
    Nov 26, 2012
    Pretty much a miscalculation from beginning to end. [26 Nov. 2012, p.87]
  2. Reviewed by: Peter Bradshaw
    Nov 25, 2012
    Likable, watchable and has a nice supporting turn from Robert De Niro; I'm not sure I wouldn't rather watch this again than the macho acting in Russell's boxing drama "The Fighter."
  3. Reviewed by: Marc Mohan
    Nov 23, 2012
    A funny, believable film about the ability of even the damaged and imperfect to earn a little happiness.