8.3

1. Oct 25, 2014
    it is rubish film that a man who love spouse that married with person that sex with 11 person and her father the act is very bad. robert deniro think he play in the gang movie but in film he is a father that love sport and bet. he is leader not boss of the gang
  2. Sep 1, 2014
    Not only do Bradley Cooper and Jennifer Lawrence give two of the best performances of the year, the film is a romantic masterpiece. Between first-rate writing and an ensemble-to-kill, The Weinstein Company has a gem on their hands.
  3. Aug 9, 2014
    It is completely unjust to hate this film. With an extraordinary idea as plot basis, you can make a clichéd romance look extremely fresh, and "Silver Linings Playbook" does certainly manage this. Lawrence is exceptionally convincing, and pretty accomplished for a beginner. Bradley Cooper is not so surprising, but they make a good duo. What I mostly liked was that every character of the film depicted, more or less, a bit of craziness. Sometimes, I felt that the others were crazier than Pat and Tiffany, such as bet-obsessed Pat's father or his strained friend, Ronnie. Even more satisfying, the dizzy way some parts of the story were being told, depicted that craziness, too. Unfortunately, aside from this and Lawrence's adorable portrayal of Tiffany, I felt that the whole thing was not as entertaining as Best Picture contender would deserve and a bit cheesier than I would expect. But this is Hollywood after all, and it's not about art films or quality cinema, it is not about a real message or originality, you just need a story going on and a bit of fresh looks, and, in terms of Hollywood, "Playbook" deserves its acclaim. Expand
  4. Jul 25, 2014
    Silver Linings Playbook es una película llamativa con grandes actuaciones por parte de todo el reparto, en donde combinan muy bien Bradley Cooper y Jennifer Lawrence. En general es una gran comedia romántica.
  5. Jul 9, 2014
    This movie has to be my all time favorite romantic movie. First off its completely unique from all the romance movies that has been thrown at us over the years. Its funny its emotional its cute and its definitely one of a kind. I never get tired of watching this movie
  6. Jul 3, 2014
    Even though the acting is great, no one can deny that, the story simply fails to keep you interested through out. I wanted to like it but I simply couldn't. It was an awkward comedic drama that just wasn't funny.
  7. Jun 4, 2014
    This movie captures life as it is. It shows the dark sides and it shows the things everyone has do deal with in ones life. But it also encourages to look beyond that, to see that there are happy times following the bad. Silver Linings Playbook is such a worthy title, it expresses the imperfections of life and the ways life has. Fantastic movie, absolutely worth checking out!
  8. May 29, 2014
    An oddly uneven film full of lots of WTF moments. Billed as a romantic comedy that is neither romantic nor comedic, this film never seemed to figure out what it wanted to be. Starts off as "one flew over the cuckoos nest" and ends as "dirty dancing". The whole bet thing at the end is implausible, as is having a dancefloor built into your house, a cop always turning up within a second of you doing something wrong and trusting all your money on someone you hardly know on a competition you know nothing about. Great performances by Bradley Cooper and Jennifer Lawrence, which is why I suspect all the reviewers like it, however the rest of the cast is weak (particularly Robert De Niro who, yet again, phones in his part). Expected so much more from this but overall it's one of those films that you forget as soon as you finish watching it. Expand
  9. May 25, 2014
    This movie is great and definitely one of the better love movies that iv'e watch in the past couple years. Tons of great actors like Robert De Niro, Jennifer Lawrence, Bradley Cooper , Chris Tucker. The film follows Bradley Cooper (Pat) after staying in a mental hospital for some time he finally get's to go back home to his family. During this time he tries to get his life back together so he can get back together with his ex-wife. While having dinner over at his friends house he meets Jennifer Lawrence (Tiffany) she is Bi-polor and her and Pat have plenty of great moments that end up with one of them freaking out on each other. Tiffany is cousins with Pats ex-wife and she tells him that she will give her letters from him if he helps her with a dancing contest. Basically they end of falling in love with each other by the end of the movie and they place 5th in the dancing contest that's the best she has ever done.

Overall i give it a 8.0 if this movie wasn't like it is with the dialog i doubt that i would like it as much also Jennifer Lawrence is just simply gorgeous!!!
  10. May 2, 2014
    An Academy Award deserving script, that manages to make us laugh, cry and even hate/love the characters in the movie, played by the best and most talented Hollywood stars today. Russell has created art and magic, by far the best movie of 2012.
  11. Apr 7, 2014
    Writer / Director David O. Russell as always give us heartwarming movies like example american hustle . this movie is a whole lot of heart warming and love . that is a classic David o russell film . Grade A
  12. Mar 27, 2014
    I dont know why people are over rating a romatic comedy film and i really dont know why it had eight oscars nominees, the movie have anything at all, i dont like it.
  13. Mar 13, 2014
    A very good film. Both Bradley Cooper and Jennifer Lawrence did an outstanding job in their respective leading roles. It was entertaining and very original especially for a romantic comedy. It certainly is a movie that will be remembered as being a the top of the genre.
  14. Mar 12, 2014
    An interesting and different story. Terrific characters and even better characters who bring these characters to life- Silver Linings Playbook is amazing. Well, we best start with the story. Pat/Bradley Cooper has just left a mental hospital after he assaulted a man who was having an affair with this wife- and he also has bipolar... after reconnecting with his family and friends, he eventually meets Tiffany/Jennifer Lawrence who has also been experiencing mental illnesses of her own after her husband died. The two become friends after Tiffany agrees to help Pat communicate with his wife by becoming her dance partner for a competition she wants to take part in. While the story is very interesting and different from other movies of its genre, another thing that makes this movie so amazing is the performances. Robert de Niro is great as Pat's father, and Bradley Cooper also does a fantastic job playing Pat. But, for me personally, Jennifer Lawrence hands down offers the best performance of the film- definitely worthy of her Oscar. The way she portrays Tiffany, with her mental illness, severe mood swings, borderline depression and interesting personality is absolutely fantastic. While the performances are very praiseworthy, the film's dialogue is also very funny, with just the somewhat suttle humorous side- like Pat's persistent mentioning of Tiffany's husband's death or how Tiffany lost her job. Overall, a very heartwarming movie which definitely deserves all the praise it gets. And that is why Silver Linings Playbook is one of my favourite films of all time. Expand
  15. Mar 7, 2014
    The chemistry of the cast cannot be beat and the performances are top notch that make this a very enjoyable look into the lives of those with mental illness. I give this a solid 77.1 out of 100.
  16. Mar 3, 2014
    When I heard Jennifer Lawrence had won the Best Actress Oscar for this film, I had to see it was deserved, and to an extent it surprisingly was! As for the film itself, it's good with it's sharp and slick humour but after a rather intense start, it starts to fizzle out into more of a usual rom-com which is rather frustrating. The shift in tone is probably meant to represent them bettering their lives etc. but it does feel a tad forced. Ultimately a forgettable film, but it's still pretty good. Expand
  17. Feb 19, 2014
    Silver Linings Playbook is one of the best films I've seen in recent memory. Cooper and Lawrence's quirky chemistry is just amazing and that really adds to the movie. De Niro gives one of his best performances in years, and plays his role as a temperamental but forgiving father really well. The whole movie is like a roller-coaster ride, and one worth taking. The romance aspect of the movie isn't sappy at all; instead, it's smart and realistic. The movie is just great, and one I recommend very highly. Expand
  18. Feb 8, 2014
    that's amazing love story..i feel it's not just a 2 hours movie it's like a book including 500 page..the relations and conversation was very real...i believe them..i believe the love between tiffany and pat
  19. Feb 6, 2014
    David O. Russell has said before that the plot does not matter and when watching this film you know he genuinely believes this to be true, because this film has so many plot holes in it that in five years it will slide into the last refuge of forgotten films created solely as Oscar bait. This film is meant to do no more than showcase actors, its development, plotting and writing fall almost to the wayside as we are subjected to actors (save for Deniro) who do not understand the mental illness their characters possess and attached with an ending that would normally be featured in cheesy 80's Patrick Swayze film.
    Frankly I would give the film roughly a 5 on the enjoyment scale, but the Poe scale gives it 6.5

Acting: 2/2
    Cinematography: 1/2
    Editing: 1.5/2
    Effects and Design 1/2
    Writing: 1/2
  20. Jan 18, 2014
    I almost expected Bradely Cooper to run in place and slap his face ala "curley" of the three stooges every time he was about to flip out. Overly contrived and as a person who worked with mentally ill people for nineteen years, this movie does not come close to real mental illness.
  21. Jan 11, 2014
    A surprisingly touching and lively movie, which makes you think about the surrounding life in a more positive way. I liked the story and the performance of ALL the actors was top notch. This movie should not be missed.
  22. Dec 7, 2013
    It is a really interesting movie. It makes you to be attached to the screen from the first minute. I really appreciated Jennifer Lawrence's performance, her character's emotional changes were sensational during the film.
  23. Nov 30, 2013
    Jen and Brad are outstanding and display remarkable chemistry. Among one of the best films in years. It is meaningful and hilarious and has a wonderful supporting cast. I just love it.
  24. Nov 14, 2013
    Took a little bit for me to get into it, but once I was in, I was hooked. Bradley Cooper and Jennifer Lawrence are phenomenal, and overall, the film is just incredibly touching and heartfelt. Really good film.
  25. Oct 25, 2013
    this movie brings a fresh air to the romantic comedies because with a simple story and great performances especially lawrence can conquer the public..
  26. Oct 23, 2013
    David O. Russell hasn't quite grasped a more careful idea of portraying mental illness within a dramedy. The transparent depiction inside a Hollywood, Oscar-baited film becomes clearer towards the end, and if he knew that this script would win awards then he possibly didn't try it convincingly enough. The ending was purely cringeworthy, it lost its likeability pretty quickly and the sentimental drama that is said to be cleverly executed and believable is actually riddled with cliches. The bipolar illness itself is treated as more of a side-issue it kills any chance of an even tone by switching it on and off when needed. The comedy fails to distract from these problems, making light of the real issues (with its subject and the plot itself) and acting as if this is what it truly means to have bipolar. Expand
  27. Oct 5, 2013
    This film contains so many beautiful scenes and show us that there is realism because we can see ordinary people's problems. Also, Jennifer Lawrence, Bradley Cooper, Robert De Niro and Jacki Weaver played every character fantastically. I'm not a fan of David O. Russell but I have to admit he did a good job at directing.
  28. Sep 22, 2013
    I found it a little hard to get into at first with Bradley Cooper over-acting in places, which was beginning to put me off. The introduction of Tiffany (Jennifer Lawrence) though changed all that and the narrative began to make more sense. All the performances were excellent with (for me) Jennifer Lawrence standing out. Yes, I know De Niro is there but he’s really not a major character although he does play his part very well. Bradley Cooper was good, but no better really than I have seen him before. The action is littered with an awful lot of music, some I was familiar with and some not so much; all of it fitted the visuals well though and it made for a welcome enhancement to the entertainment. Over all I found it a well rounded romantic comedy (with some drama thrown in for good measure) and just a twist of quirkiness. It even touched me on an emotional level (a rare thing these days) so it gets a pretty high recommendation from me.

SteelMonster’s verdict: HIGHLY RECOMMENDED

My score: 8.3/10.
  29. Sep 9, 2013
    Silver Linings Playbook was an amazing, inspirational, and fantastic movie. I loved this movie. The performances are solid--especially Jennifer Lawrence, Bradley Cooper, Robert De Niro, and Jacki Weaver. I was totally blown away by their performances. David O. Russell did a super-duper-great job. I loved the story. It was sweet, easy to understand, and touch our hearts. It combined a lot aspects; such as love, mental illness, craziness about football, dark background of the characters, but David could mix them really well. Jennifer Lawrence played a very different role from Winter's Bone and The Hunger Games, so it will take some scenes for you to recognize her well. Once you have recognized her, you will agree that she is one of the super-duper-talented young actress in Hollywood. Now, Silver Linings Playbook has been one of my favorite movie all the time. Expand
  30. Aug 17, 2013
    I had mixed feelings about this piece As somebody who struggles with a mental illness, I went into this movie with mixed reviews seeing Bradley Cooper of the Hangover do the job as the main role was good because it was so much what I did not expect I appreciate that mental illness was handled yet I felt it was still sugar coated nonetheless as a love story it worked excellently and therefore the film is worth seeing Expand
  31. Aug 12, 2013
    To some degree, relating to the situations and conditions of the main characters in Silver Linings Playbook may increase your overall enjoyment of the film. This is a heading that anyone should acknowledge before pressing play.

With that out of the way, what this film is, at its heart, is a romantic comedy that does certain things well and others poorly. The on-screen chemistry between
    Bradley Cooper and Jennifer Lawrence, whose relationship is a focal point of the film, is jagged at best; and this is to the film's benefit, as you watch their interactions unfold. The father-son relationship between Cooper and Robert DeNiro is almost completely unbelievable, and if this film has any sour sticking point, this is it. DeNiro's casting seems almost purely for name power, as if the filmmakers weren't confident enough in Cooper And Lawrence being attractive draws (which they undoubtedly are, Cooper perhaps more so now than DeNiro has been in years).

With the volatile relationship between Cooper and Lawrence, a great many of situations develop, some predictable, some not, but they all are arranged and constructed appropriately to tell a tale of adversity, perseverance, and the crazy moments in between. At times it feels forced, at others confused, but for many American families, this is life. I can relate, and I refer back to my opening paragraph as a reminder that so much of this film can either hit you in the heart or fly over your head depending on who you are. This is true of most art, but Silver Linings Playbook is a bit more focused, almost but not quite a "niche" film.

Overall, a great film, but anything resembling universal appeal is lost due to the subject matter and some unwarranted casting choices. But for those of us who can relate, to some degree, I do believe you'll feel the same as me; well worth the 2 hours.
  32. Aug 11, 2013
    I loved this film. It has a unique sense of style. It's amazing. Jennifer Lawrence's character was great. And Bradley Cooper was great, the same goes with Jacki Weaver and Robert De-Niro.
  33. Aug 10, 2013
    One of the best movies i have seen! It totally worth the 2 oscars. The movie was fantastic, the actors where great and the overal story was really good! Oh and one more thing, Jennifer Lawrence was gorgeous!
  34. Aug 4, 2013
    A surprisingly enjoyable movie. Why is the fact that it's good a surprise? Well because of its genre. Romantic comedies, and romantic movies in general are usually bland, mushy, poorly directed, and boring. Usually it's only possible for girls to enjoy them, hence the nickname, chick-flick. (Girl's, don't take that as an insult.) But Silver Linings playbook is extremely well acted by all of its cast, funny, offbeat, and a lot of the time even successfully dramatic. It's screenplay does fall victim to a couple of cleches, such as the dreadful "I love you" moment very close to the end, but for the most part it's smart, perceptive, and very good at avoiding dangerous pitfalls. The direction for the most part is very good, except for too many zoom ins, and the characters are likeable. The fact that almost all of them suffer from a mental disorder makes them even more interesting. Silver Linings Playbook pulls off the most impossible feat a romantic movie can. Being a good movie. It's also another movie which should have beat Argo for best picture. I'm sorry Argo. I liked you, but you didn't deserve it. Expand
  35. Jul 27, 2013
    The Slant reviewer is so happy with himself! He didn't fall for the "contrived" screenplay, the "lazy writing" or the simplistic characters. By golly, no one is going to pull the wool over _his_ eyes. Good for him... except he missed a tremendously entertaining film. Apparently, this reviewer is unable to see the touching humor in family relationships. Sit back and let this surprising film have its way with you. A delight from beginning to end. Expand
  36. Jul 27, 2013
    Silver Linings Playbook. Where do i even begin? This is one my favorite movies of all time!!! its a hilarious, moving, dramatic piece of cinematography. All of this plus the amazing performances by Lawrence, Cooper, and all of the rest! this movie never ceases to entertain!!
  37. Jul 18, 2013
    Silver Linings Playbook was a big surprise to me. It was an interesting romantic comedy and drama at the same time. The plot was really good and it kept you the interest throughout the whole movie. It has its funny moments that will make you laugh out loud and some moments that will make you feel a little sad. Bradley Cooper and Jennifer Lawrence made a great couple and they were brilliant actors in that film. They deserved an Oscar. Robert de Niro was good. On of the top ten movies of that kind. You will love that film and you will not regret watching it though at the begining you don't really understand what's going on. Expand
  38. Jul 7, 2013
    I am thankful for the rare but ever so gratifying romantic comedies that are exceptionally well acted. Cooper and Lawrence were a delight to watch as they rocketed into the upper echelon of talented actors and actresses in Hollywood. The story had an insightful take on tragedy and loss that was quite refreshing. A great date night movie that will make you laugh and feel like you watched a movie with substance. Expand
  39. Jul 7, 2013
    This movie, represents everything an audience dreams of seeing in a movie. First, the acting is superb. Though, this movie is predictable, the story line and great dialogue makes up for it. Jennifer Lawrence and Bradley Cooper, have amazing chemistry together, making it all the more believable. Robert DeNiro and Jackie Weaver, also stole the show, playing the role of Pat Jr. parents. This movie, is hilarious, dramatic, romantic, and has a beautiful message. 'Silver Linings Playbook', is nothing short of fantastic Expand
  40. Jul 2, 2013
    One of the best films of the year. Silver Linings isn't just one of the best feel good movies of recent times but it's also enormously entertaining and a crowd pleaser at that. The film focuses upon Pat Solitano (Bradley Cooper), a man suffering from bipolar disorder recently released from a psychiatric hospital returns home to live with his parents, Pat Sr. (Robert De Niro) & Deloris (Jacki Weaver). Determined to win back his estranged wife, he meets Tiffany (Jennifer Lawrence) who recently widowed agrees to help him if he enters dance competition with her. As they become closer they both must deal with their relationships with each other whilst coping with their disorders. The performances of the leads were lauded and it's easy to see why. They give some phenomenal performances. Cooper and Lawrence in the lead roles are incredible! The pair's edgy raport and mesmerizing chemistry sees them both deliver a pitch perfect performance. It's relationship that is a sheer delight to watch! Lawrence won the Academy Award and rightfully so, she is superb, especially when you consider she was just 21 at the time. Cooper also proves to an instant hit His stock continues to rise and he is outstanding in his role. They ren't alone and whilst they steal the show the legendary De Niro comes up trumps once again working with Cooper as his doting, unconventional father. But in such as small role it's Chris Tucker who proves to be irresistible. His presence lights up this film, everyone has witnessed his antics in the Rush Hour franchise but in a more subtle role he excels! Great credit also goes to David O. Russell. His smart screenplay is almost ingenious! The way he tackles mental illness and succeeds delivering such immensely satisfying results is excellent. It's such a charming and sharp film! All in all, this is such a marvellous movie. David O. Russell succeeds were many would have failed. With some career high and possibly defining performances this is a meaningful must see film. Crazy good!! Expand
  41. Jun 26, 2013
    A sweet, simple film that has the power to captivate you through the performances of it's cast. The narrative follows the basic format of any boy/girl love story but what makes this picture so pleasantly unique from the rest is the fact that it doesn't try too hard to remind you of the genre that it conforms to. The use of music in Silver Linings is remarkably enthralling, in particular the use of Led Zeppelin's "What Is and What Should Never Be" when we first get a glimpse of Pat's mental fragility. Having only recently been a David O. Russell fan since his boxing biopic "The Fighter", I was anxious as to what Silver Linings would bring to 2012 and whether or not my anticipation would end in disappointment but thankfully it most certainly didn't and if anything, left me admiring O. Russell's directional ability even more. In short, Silver Linings is a splendid movie, worthy of a watch and one that will not disappoint. Expand
  42. Jun 22, 2013
    Magnificent chemistry between Cooper and Jennifer define this heartwarming romantic drama. Solid writing and pacing make it an absolute joy to watch plus one of Robert Di NIro's finest performance acts as icing on the cake! Totally worthy of all the praise and accolades
  43. Jun 20, 2013
    Outstanding film.Jennifer Lawrence was outstanding in this film.Jennifer Lawrence won well-deserved award.Robert DeNiro and Bradley Cooper were outstanding too.Jacki Weaver was good but she didn't deserve the nomination.David O. Russell wrote amazing screenplay.
  44. Jun 19, 2013
    Heard this was a good movie from some friends whose judgement I trust, not to mention the critics loved it, so I had to see it. It did not disappoint. I found it to be strange at first, but that's done on purpose because this does follow some mentally... different people. Superb acting all around, particularly Bradley Cooper and Jennifer Lawrence who do a fantastic job of playing their characters. Funny, plenty of "oh no he/she didn't" moments, lots of conflict, heartwarming, and a feel-good movie by the end. Recommended! Expand
  45. Jun 18, 2013
    My second favorite film of 2012. A movie that deals with the issue of bipolar disorder in a way that shows the way it can change someone's life, but also shows a funny and romantic side.
  46. Jun 18, 2013
    Silver Linings Playbook is cute, sweet and really good, with an amazing acting, and a fitting cast, the story is original somehow, and some scenes are really intense, the movie is more of a talky, but overall it is one of the best movies of 2012.
  47. Jun 14, 2013
    This is a tough one for me to review, as I'm not much of a rom-com guy. The only three that I really like, when I think about it, are When 'Harry Met Sally,' 'While You Were Sleeping,' and 'He Said, She Said.' To be honest, only the first of those three is a classic (a 10). Silver Linings Playbook is in the company of the other two, what I would call near-classics, so I have to give it an 8.

Jennifer Lawrence deserves all the accolades she is accumulating. She shines even in sub-par movies, like 'House at the End of the Street.' Actually, the 'star' actors are all great, which isn't always the case, is it? The comedy is dark in tone but not as harsh as you might expect, given the situation. Overall, the tone is light, and the mood is feel-good. In that sense, even if the premise is original and 'edgy,' the film delivers what most people want from a rom-com.

So, why not a 10? My suspension of disbelief was jarred on a couple of occasions. I don't want to give any spoilers, so I'll only say that the set-up for the climax the scene that sets up the stakes of the climax is particularly wince-inducing for a number of reasons. Hopefully you won't feel the same way. Also, some actions, or the presence of certain characters, seem awfully convenient. Lastly, several supporting characters, particularly a recurring policeman, are rather one-dimensional. I can take that last issue with a grain of salt, however, as I consider that acceptable for the genre. Still, more depth and soul to the secondary characters would have increased my engrossment in (and rating of) the movie.
  48. Jun 4, 2013
    I really liked this movie, it’s not the usual romantic comedy. The plot is really entertaining but what I enjoyed the most is the acting, Cooper is great but who really surprised me is Lawrence, totally amazing.
  49. Jun 4, 2013
    "A truly terrific and humorous movie all across the board. Bradley Cooper and Jennifer Lawrence shine in there best performances to date. Its a movie we all can feel good about and walk away with a great message. David O Russel is truly a genius" A-
  50. Jun 1, 2013
    I am not a person of many words, however watching this film stirred something inside of me. Few days ago my "big" reveal was Jennifer Lawrence so I was drawn to this movie because of her, however what I found was something that left me astonished. It was really heartwarming story of love. The great performance was put in by almost everyone but I have to say that the two leads in this movie did a terrific job. They showed what seemed to be an unstable character played by Bradley Cooper, and than they introduced Tiffany who was so out of the blue for me. She is unpredictable one moment she seems normal and the next she is telling her most intimate confessions which is one of the best things for me in this movie. No, the story does not reinvent the genre it is predictable but in this case the story falls into background thanks to masterful characters who all manage to find a place for themselves so they can shine. Robert De Niro did great as a father who only now manages to see that perhaps he wasn't the best father in the world.

All in all it is a great story, It's not your a type of romantic comedy that is seen all the time, the emphasis here is much more on the romance part than it is on the slightly present comedy in the character of Danny or Pat's reaction to reading the Ernest Hemingway book.

All in all I was positively surprised by how much I liked the movie considering I haven't been into the overdone "Romantic Comedy"-Genre for a while now but like I said while it doesn't reinvent the genre it's still a great movie that isn't generic in any way or form except for the concept of the story.

A must watch in my opinion for fans and non-fans of this genre.
  51. May 31, 2013
    It is funny, intense and a different Romantic comedy than others, it is creative and smart, with amazing plot and great acting coming from Cooper and Lawrence, I enjoyed it as a stand out, and positively different than other Rom-Com
  52. May 30, 2013
    I really enjoyed this movie. The main actors selected were perfect. I thought it was fun and light-hearted. It had some real-life issues that a lot of people deal with, like death and split-up marriages, so I think many people can relate. There is always a silver lining to any situation, and this movie explains this exactly.
  53. May 30, 2013
    As a fan of hearty movies, I had to rate this film 10 out of 10. The movie is witty, emotional, funny, satisfying, well acted, well directed, well written and just plain awesome. The two lovable main characters Pat and Tiffany played by Bradley Cooper and Jennifer Lawrence are just amazing, and they made me think that maybe there's a little crazy in all of us. So I loved the movie, and I recommend it to all movie goers out there because Silver Linings Playbook is flawless. Expand
  54. May 27, 2013
    By far the sweetest, funniest, and critically well-rounded movie of the year, Silver Linings Playbook reinvents the long suffering romantic comedy genre due to its sensitive direction, phenomenal screenplay, and best ensemble cast of the year. Featuring a breakthrough performance from a once ridiculed Bradley Cooper, David O. Russell had distinguished himself with this film as one of the best directors working. Robert DeNiro's impressive performance has shown us that he can find a balance between meeting the Fockers and Ray LaMotta, and Jennifer Lawrence has made herself a gem of American cinema. There is no doubt in my mind that any future work from either O. Russell or any members of the ensemble cast will be nothing short of extraordinary. Expand
  55. May 22, 2013
    A great film that isn't afraid to have a main character who is a little off his rocker.
    Bipolar disorder, OCD and other mental illnesses are far too common in life, and rarely seen in the cinema.
    To take characters, give them real life problems, and throw them into a romantic genre film and let them scream, fight, dance, and love is to bring those characters to life. Bravo.
  56. May 22, 2013
    the first 30 minutes of the movie start off fantastic great performances solid story the dialog is great and the screenplay is the best.
    but then the movie does not make sense after that.
    the scene after the restaurant is confusing she kept screaming at the street "he's harassing me" and then she said it was a joke and tried to calm him down ,
    i kept scratching my head during the scene
    but you know whatever.
    so the second bomb is Robert De Niro offering the bet and that was the worst 14 minutes in the movie.
    and the deceivingly happy ending is awkward it was like watching a home made movie.
    and that's just sad because the movie start off very well but i don't know what happened ,
    it's like David O. Russell was trying to film the movie entirely in one week start off good but then decided to rush it.
  57. May 21, 2013
    It is too rare that a movie manages to achieve more than double as much of all feelings by the first half than another one of its genre. "Silver Linings Playbook" is not only a fantastic movie with wel-shot scenes and amazing casting, but in also makes you feel with the characters for whom you actually start to feel some sort of sympathy. 10+ for sure.
  58. May 21, 2013
    It's Oscar nominee for best picture of the year that fact alone matters great deal, outstanding acting(Bradley Cooper delivers his best), interesting and very realistic story makes you care about it's characters! This is must own
  59. May 19, 2013
    Jennifer Lawrence is one of the best actresses of her age.
    In this movie she acted awesome as always!
    Just sometimes the movie is a little slow-moving but in conclusion its a movie with great actors and many funny moments!
  60. May 18, 2013
    This movie is really good.Even though it is kinda predictable,it has a great story,interesting characters and shows how people can change from crazy to normal.
  61. May 10, 2013
    The film tackles a thematic adult and complicated, difficult to approach, but in the hands of The Russell emocinantemente it is comical and vulgar because several expletives, but performances by Cooper and Lawnrence make everything very sensitive and funny.
  62. May 6, 2013
    While I don't think Silver Linings Playbook was quite worthy of all the praise it got from the "experts" and the academy, it was still a very good movie. Bradley Cooper is absolutely fantastic. This is by far the best role he's ever had and he shows that he really is a very good actor. Jennifer Lawrence is also incredible. Not only is she stunning but the range of her acting abilities seems to have no bounds. A lot of that range is shown in this film and, while I can't confirm that she did in fact perform better than the competition, I can say that her role was flawless and I can't argue her winning an Oscar for it. The supporting cast was also great with Robert De Niro and Chris Tucker, among others, providing added depth to the movie. The only flaw I had was that it dragged quite a bit towards the middle/end portion. It started great and ended great and most of the middle was very entertaining but from about the 60% to 80% part of the film it did feel a bit sluggish. Nonetheless, the dialogue and character development keeps you intrigued so I think most people would appreciate the movie. Expand
  63. May 4, 2013
    The best movie of 2012. An amazing dramedy which pulls together bipolar teachers and a dance contest with a crazy girl in a way that you would never expect from the director of The Fighter. The funniest and saddest movie I've seen in a long time. This movie, while amazing and artistic, was extremely unappreciated by both the oscars and the golden globes. Still, this is one of my all time favorite movies. Expand
  64. May 4, 2013
    Silver Linings Playbook is wonderful. Everybody and I mean everybody acted brilliantly. Bradley Cooper and Jennifer Lawrence complement each other perfectly, which made the movie believable. The film strikes a good balance between humor, drama, and quirkiness.
  65. May 1, 2013
    Going into this movie, I had seen David O. Russell's last film, The Fighter. This movie was just as good, and he has now become a favorite director of mine. With utterly perfect casting, and a great story, the movie delivered and left me not only satisfied, but very impressed and happy. Jennifer Lawrence deserved every ounce of that Oscar, and likewise for the nominations for the other three. Easily my favorite film of 2012. Expand
  66. Apr 26, 2013
    Very nice movie. My girlfriend make me watch, but what a good surprise.
    I think the history was well prepared with drama and some fun. The actors fit on it very well.

That movie worth.
  67. Apr 19, 2013
    I love this movie so much, both my best friend and I have seen it more than once at the cinema. It's primarily a drama, not a comedy as some people have advertised. Best drama I have seen.
  68. Apr 18, 2013
    It is surprising how the movie is able to combine so many conflicts in 120 minutes, and still make me laughing at some point. It is one of those movies which you thought it was plain while watching it, but when you think about it moments later, you'll find it good. I see blue sky, white clouds and shining sun in my mind while the credits going. Definitely not good enough to win Oscar for The Best Movie, but obviously good enough to win Jennifer The Best Actress. Expand
  69. Apr 14, 2013
    This film should have won Best Film at the Oscars in my opinion. I absolutely loved this movie and the acting of the wonderful cast. It was just amazing seeing the portrayal of these emotional characters on screen.
  70. Apr 2, 2013
    This movie was a joy to watch; Jennifer Lawrence and Bradley Cooper were fantastic and i was especially pleased to see Deniro playing a more interesting character. Highly recommended!
  71. Apr 2, 2013
    Finally a cinema-going to officially culminate all the Oscar BEST PICTURE nominee of last year, SILVER LININGS PLAYBOOK treads upon a traditionally crowd-pleasing boy-meet-girl romantic genre while smartly embodying two main characters with distinguished personal mental foibles, which is a masterstroke to keep them refreshing and connected with the present quirk-emancipated modern generation.

After his ambitious brothers-boxers drama THE FIGHTER (2010, 8/10), David O. Russell has ascended to the top tier of Hollywood where he can harness marquee stars and meaty source materials, thus, SILVER LININGS PLAYBOOK has all its edges to be winsome and lovable, but somewhat the final outcome doesn’t live up much to the heated expectation, personally I am rather stolid from the American football fanaticism and the “parley gamble” bidding is by no means a recommendable action to be encouraged (but it is an intrinsic default in the source novel, O. Russell should not take the blame here I suppose), anyway, the scenario does make wonders to gyrate a captivating duo-dance between Bradley Cooper and Jennifer Lawrence, both utterly committed to their characters, verbal ripostes are acetic and sharply accessible. The chemistry sparkles albeit of the age-gap of the actors (a inconceivable 15 years in real life).

Jennifer Lawrence’s Oscar-crowning has sparked (understandably)
    controversies (like most of the years), but it is like the film itself, acceptable (for me), the stretch of her character may be impeded by the condescending male-perspective of winning the right girl, why on earth it always ends with a stale “it is the girl who lingers on the verge of being hurt” plot even under the exception of the mighty confidence discharging from Lawrence’s character. Her youth is the double-edged sword in this case, thanks to her mature countenance, audience may not detect it instantly, and the film also bypasses to specify her age. So it is a younger example of Helen Hunt’s win and looks like a future Jodie Foster career orbit, plus her Kristen Stewart popularity (THE HUNGER GAME franchise will continue lighting her path), she is the “it girl” in Hollywood right now and a role model of the industry.

Bradley Cooper, a later-bloomer in his leading man status, has seized an unexpected earlier harvest in Oscar-nomination than most of his contemporaries, although constantly in the danger of being overshadowed by his more sapient co-stars, performance-wise, it is his own victory. Robert De Niro and Jacki Weaver, are not in my top 10 list of the year, since the script doesn’t challenge them hard enough, but they do reflect the slice-of-life authenticity of the endearing parents (except that De Niro’s weeping scene is too maudlin to endure). And forget about Chris Tucker, I don’t know why he pops up here to interrupt his satisfactory (both to him and to me) holed-up.

So, it is a happily-ever-after fairytale full of mentally unstable people with various neuroses, the steady-cam cinematography looks hipster but also impairs one’s concentration, the ultimate dance-routine is mesmerizingly shot, but the banal ending does causing a compulsive meh before the credits rolls, although the final speech is fine and (artificially) sincere.
  72. Mar 30, 2013
    actually to be honest i did not find and exiting thing in the movie there is no good (script ,bad actors except Bradly .bad music bad director )but the most exciting thing for me how Jennifer won the oscar.
    i do not trust in Oscar nomination.
  73. Mar 26, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Dopo qualche anno un po’ interlocutorio, un piacere ritrovare Robert De Niro così in forma. Seppur sfavorito dal doppiaggio, il suo Pat sr. si allinea con merito a un lungo elenco di personaggi indimenticabili, molte volte alle prese con qualche disturbo della personalità. Forse non proprio corretto cominciare dal grande Bob nel raccontare il bel film di Russell, ma la sua ottima prova un valido metro per giudicare le altre interpretazioni che si rivelano tutte dello stesso livello: la coppia costituita da De Niro e Jacki Weaver gareggia per intensità con quella principale composta da Bradley Cooper e Jennifer Lawrence, giustificando l’entusiasmo che ha portato tutti e quattro alle nomination da cui poi scaturita la statuetta di migliore attrice protagonista per Lawrence. La ragazza lo si può ben dire, visti i soli ventidue anni pare trasformata rispetto a quella vista in ‘Hunger games’ e dà vita a una Tiffany fragile ma determinata contro la quale va a sbattere (per caso? Forse…) Pat jr, che nasconde dietro lo sguardo di ghiaccio un mondo di insicurezze che Cooper rende con notevole profondità. Il giovanotto ci mette davvero troppo a innamorarsene (o a capire di esserne innamorato) quando, quasi subito, c’è un primo piano, impreziosito dalle gote arrossate in seguito a una corsa, che stenderebbe chiunque: però c’è da capirlo, visto che appena uscito da una clinica e deve combattere contro una personalità bipolare esplosa scoprendo la moglie in flagrante adulterio. Del resto tutta la pellicola parla di difficoltà psichiche: Tiffany combatte contro la depressione originata dalla morte del marito mentre Pat sr. un maniaco ossessivo con la fissa dei Philadelphia Eagles (si pure beccato una sorta di Daspo per comportamenti violenti allo stadio) e delle scommesse, alle quali rischia di sacrificare patrimonio e famiglia. Ma, malgrado le difficoltà, Pat jr. si ostina a cercare il lato positivo (ovvero ‘il bordo argentato delle nuvole’, come da titolo del romanzo di Matthew Quick da cui il regista ha tratto la sceneggiatura), ripetendosi come un mantra ‘Excelsior!’ (letteralmente ‘più in alto!’) fino a dimostrare pur tra frenate e difficoltà, sempre con l’aiuto di Tiffany che l’ottimismo alla fine paga (ovvero ‘il sale della vita’). Affermazioni, queste ultime, che non possono non richiamare alla memoria il cinema di Frank Capra, il cui fantasma pare aleggiare anche nella lacrimogena scena madre finale: il resto della narrazione sembra invece delineare una sorta di Billy Wilder dei giorni nostri, grazie alla capacità di stemperare le amarezze con i sorrisi (e viceversa) e alla vitalità nonché al ritmo di dialoghi taglienti e sovente trascinanti. La qualità della scrittura di Russell si rispecchia nella regia, che ambienta la storia in un anonimo sobborgo fatto di villette con giardino e può così concentrarsi con l’aiuto della fotografia di Masanobu Takayanagi sui volti e sugli stati d’animo dei personaggi. Un insieme di aspetti (lati) positivi che conferma ancora una volta che non tanto importante ciò che si racconta, ma come lo si racconta. Ridotta all’osso, difatti, abbiamo qui una storia di caduta e redenzione che passa attraverso l’amore e una gara di ballo, in cui la diversità sociale sempre meglio dell’ipocrisia (vedi la finta coppia felice composta da Ronnie e Veronica), eppure ‘Il lato positivo’ un film che coinvolge ed emoziona dall’inizio alla fine: riesce così più facile sorvolare con serenità su qualche salto logico, compreso quello abbastanza evidente proprio nel sottofinale, (attenzione, spoiler!) in cui Pat jr., con in tasca la lettera in cui si dichiara, deve farsi spingere dal padre a rincorrere Tiffany (però così De Niro ci guadagna un’altra bella scena…). Expand
  74. Mar 24, 2013
    Tiffany Maxwell is clearly an Oscar worthy character. The film, however, appears to be missing something.
  75. Mar 15, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Please why does a movie that sucks so bad get an 8.2 score here From the very first scene you can tell that even Bradley Cooper doesn't know if this is a comedy or a drama. Bipolar my butt. He looks like an NFL quarterback, that is the shape he is in. The script is just beyond awful. And why did they throw Robert DeNiro into the mix Anyone who has ever seen a father and a son together know that they don't act like that...unless...it is a comedy, which it isn't. The ADD style of this movie and the constant babbling of everybody involved really go on your nerves after 7.5 minutes. I seriously start to doubt the ratings on here. I am pretty sure that Hollywood has an entire army of people who do nothing but rate up movies on sites like this one.
    And yes, why exactly WAS he wearing that modified garbage bag while running It was not even funny...
  76. Mar 2, 2013
    David O.Russel is a genius perfect writing beautiful story really likebale characters and an inforgatable performences by the actors especially jennifer lawrence and bradely cooper who proove to be one of hollywood strongest performers, really worth watching
  77. Feb 28, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Maravillosa, sensible, sencilla, real, divertida, solo cosas buenas se merece Los juegos del destino. Me sorprendí al ver entre los nominado al Oscar una película que creí ver miles de veces, comedia romántica cursi, predecible, cero innovadora. Pero que equivocada estaba, Los juegos del destino tiene todos los ingredientes para que por fin una película de su género saque la cara y demuestre que no se tiene que llegar al colmo del sentimentalismo y del ridículo para que una película sea profunda, seria y además graciosa.

La película se basa en el libro del mismo nombre (The Silver Linings Playbook) escrita por Matthew Quick se centra en la vida de Pat (Brandly Cooper) un profesor que sufre del trastorno bipolar y que tiene una grave crisis a raíz de la infidelidad de su esposa, después de salir de una institución mental se empeña en recuperarla a como dé lugar. Es difícil ver a Cooper en un papel diferente al de perdedor, sin embargo hace una gran actuación, tanto para merecer una nominación al Oscar y el reconocimiento de la crítica que lo coloca ahora en otro nivel.

Pat conoce a Tiffany, una viuda con graves problemas de autoestima y para nada estable en su vida sentimental, Jennifer se luce con esta actuación ganándose ayer el premio Oscar a mejor actriz, sus apariciones tienen fuerza y realmente nos hace creer que está loca de remate, con varias escenas impecables, Tiffany se gana al público que no sabe que esperar de ella y que es totalmente impredecible en la mayor parte de la película.

Robert Deniro y Jacki Weaver ambos nominados a los premios de la academia, hacen magníficas interpretaciones como los padres de Pat, ellos quieren apoyarlo después de la dura crisis que tuvo, pero esto es más difícil de lo que esperaban porque debe luchar con sus propios trastornos personales que combinados con los de Pat hacen una mezcla bastante divertida que en varias escenas lograron hacerme reír demasiado.

Todos los personajes secundarios están perfectamente estructurados al igual que los principales, la película está bien dirigida, tiene un guion excelente y actuaciones de primer nivel, la película con el mejor reparto del año.

La debilidad de la cinta recae al final, un final sin sorpresas que a muchos nos gusta a otros no tanto, pero ahí está, con corazoncitos a su alrededor la pareja logra solucionar los graves problemas expuestos en el desarrollo de la trama, dejándonos bien claro que sin importar como decidan traducir el título de la película en los juegos del destino siempre hay que ver el lado bueno de las cosas.

Película imperdible, en cualquier formato, cine, DVD, PPV, recomendada al 100%
  78. Feb 28, 2013
    This movie had me smiling all the way through. All the characters are full of life and energy. They're all a little crazy, even the sane ones, and I think that describes us all.
  79. Feb 27, 2013
    All I know is that when I first watched this as opposed to the movie that did win the Oscar, I did not feel strongly that it didn't deserve Best Picture. The casting was great. The nut jobs were all entertaining. We can all lament the plot for its predictability but the title had silver lining in it, and they kept talking about negativity, so I'm glad they did not resort to shock value so that the movie would come across as something it wasn't supposed to be. The acting and the references and jokes about Bipolar Disorder gave this movie a fresh face where it could simply have been a second rate movie about 'boy meets girl' with a little dancing at the side. The first half was stronger than the second one. Expand
  80. Feb 23, 2013
    This is a most enjoyable, convincing, thoughtful and true to life comedy/drama/romance about a dysfunctional family. There's an excellent screenplay, direction and four strong acting performances in this film. Jennifer Lawrence's performance is especially impressive.
  81. Feb 23, 2013
    This is a comedy of category A, this love story between 2 people with mental health problems makes that the Viewer is love, at a certain point no I thought it was the best movie of the year, but if offers the best deal with the best performances of the year, mainly Lawrence, Cooper and De Niro.
  82. Feb 22, 2013
    The first two-thirds of the film were pretty great. I was enjoying the acting and the storyline. But then someone decided it was a good idea to throw a ridiculous, moronic bet into the plot and the film kind of falls apart, devolving into a generic (but admittedly sweet) rom-com ending. Worst of all, there was just no need for the goofy bet; the film was going to be fine without it. I give a lot of credit to the actors, then, for making the whole affair watchable anyway. Cooper and Lawrence do their best work ever here, and De Niro and Tucker get their best roles in years. Expand
  83. Feb 22, 2013
    Silver Linings Playbook is a peculiar film, because is a romantic comedy that breaks all the previews standards of that genre. Basically is the typical love story, but the interesting thing is that all the cast have a psychological problem. Starting by the protagonist couple, we see Pat (unexpectedly well played by Bradley Cooper) a bipolar that speaks before thinking, then Tiffany (Jennifer Lawrence as marvelous as always) a widow with borderline personality. The dynamic that is generated between them is based in learning how to live a normal life and be adapted to social conventions. The thing is that consequence of their condition the family and friends attempt to control their lives (the topic of the great power of the family is also noticeable in The Fighter). The family of the protagonist also is a dilemma; the father is an addicted to gambling with OCD and felt guilty because how his son turned out; the mother has an extreme necessity that all the relationships of the family maintain in order, living in denial; the brother lives with a superiority complex, but enters to a contradiction because of Pat. Then we have the friend of the protagonist who has problems with his wife so he release tension breaking stuff at his garage with hard music; the friend of the hospital invents excuses to run away and the doctor tries to fit in the American society. This great cast is amazingly well managed by David O. Russell, the only problem is that at the end the movie returns to the stereotypes of simple romantic comedies. Expand
  84. Feb 22, 2013
    Incredible movie. Cooper and Lawrence could both be up for an Oscar for this puppy. The development of Cooper's character is given with care and validity. My only gripe is the betting of the football game and dance. That seemed a little cliche.
  85. Feb 21, 2013
    Silver Linings is a film that could have done so many things wrong and offended so many people, but luckily it does everything so right and comes across as one of 2012's best films. Patrick suffers from bipolar, brought around by his wife's affair, and he is being let out of an institution for the mentally unstable to go live back at home with his parents. Pat is determined to get back into shape, sort out his mental health problems and sort out his marriage with his wife however the restraining order she put on him makes this extremely difficult and only makes matters worse for him. However when me meets Tiffany, a person who also has mental health issues and can relate to what he is going through they decide to become friends and help each other in each others problems. Pat needs to get back with his wife and Tiffany needs a dance partner, however as the relationship they start grows they begin to realise that what they set out to do in the first place no longer matters as long as they are together.
    Silver Linings is expertly written, well casted, light hearted on serious matter yet never comes across as poking fun at mental health problems. Bradley Cooper and Jennifer Lawrence perfectly compliment yet also contrast with each other in this film in all the right places and the supporting cast including the likes of Robert DeNiro just makes this film truly stand-out from the rest of the 'feel good film' genre. The perfect film to make you feel sad, happy, romantic, angry and ultimately make you realise that everything has a Silver Lining.
  86. Feb 18, 2013
    Wow, what a weekend of movies I had! Watching Intouchables, Seven Psychopaths and SLP in a row really made my Sunday. Pretty late that night I watched SLP. I almost decided not to... Was it the right moment? Ain't I too tired? Was it my kind of movie at all? Yes it was. Bradley Cooper and Jennifer Lawrence really show great performances and proof how talented they are. The story is quite original yet not unpredictable. The movie includes laughs, drama and some great dialogues. Also it's nice to see good 'ol Robert de Niro back in decent action as a superstitious football fanatic! This movie isn't for everyone but if you're into movies like Garden State or Midnight in Paris, im sure you'll spend a good 2 hours with this one. Collapse
  87. Feb 17, 2013
    'Silver Linings Playbook' is the best romantic comedy of the year, holding up with a plot that some crazy characters, I can only say that is insanely good. Bradley does its best to deliver a great performance, but make no mistake, the film is Jennifer Lawrence.
  88. Feb 13, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Two endings: one happy, one sad, wind up Billy Brown's malleable story in Vincent Gallo's Buffalo '66, the 1998 cult classic that informs Silver Linings Playbook: sometimes broadly, sometimes not. Like any good quarterback, however, the film calls many audibles and creates something new from the prevailing framework. But make no mistake about it, the QB scouted the Bills-themed indie. The QB knows the players. Billy, lost and unloved, just released from prison for a crime he didn't commit, inevitably, finds himself at a strip joint, bent on revenge with gun in hand, staring down Scott Wood, a retired placekicker whose missed game-winning field goal prompted in Billy a default on his wager to a local bookie that the designated fall guy couldn't begin to recompense. As the club's owner, Scott holds court in a private booth, in which the Super Bowl goat, surrounded by topless women, takes a bullet in the forehead before the disgruntled gambler turns the gun to the side of his own temple. Excelsior, Pat's notion that every bad situation has a silver lining is something Billy doesn't prescribe to, or so it seems, at first. Who is the omniscient QB(read: narrator) that changes the called play: the murder/suicide? Is it the bipolar high school teacher, who similar to the would-be killer, returns home after being incarcerated for a felony(he nearly beats his wife's lover to death), with the difference being that the facility is a mental hospital, not a state penitentiary? Pat, similar to Billy, grew up in a house where the preponderance of football created an extensive amount of dysfunction between parent and child. When Pat Sr. complains that Tiffany is messing up his team's juju, it reveals how for many Americans, football functions as a sort of pagan religion. In the Brown household, O.J. with the pigskin graces their wall, not J.C. on the cross. Moreover, Billy is named after the appelation given to the cold weather city's team. Clearly, both men played(and continue to play) second fiddle to an organization of beefy athletes who on Sunday, diverted their parents from the church and into a stadium, the house of laical worship. Sadly, the discovery made by Tiffany that Pat's catchword doubles as the motto used on the New York State seal, constitutes as a bona fide miracle. In Buffalo '66, god is in the details; the parking lot markings where Billy tries to drive Layla's "shifter car", look conspicuously like hash marks. The eagle, another detail, the symbol that serves as the moniker for Philadelphia's NFL team, doubles as a sign, a street sign in Buffalo, where Billy crosses Eagle Avenue during his quest for a public restroom. Therefore "reading the signs," becomes even more pronounced, becomes more than the key phrase from the letter Tiffany writes in order to trick her fellow codependent into participating at a formal dance competition. She has filmic powers. The audience can read signs, too. Tiffany passes Baldwin(as in bald eagle) Street; she spans time like Billy, but backwards instead of forwards, all the way back to Eagle Avenue. Blink and you'll miss it, but as Tiffany enters the Ben Franklin Hotel, you see a camera flash go off; it's the photo booth scene updated. Other faint echoes abound, especially the moment in Buffalo '66 when Billy runs into Wendy Balsam, his unrequited childhood crush, whose house he used to walk past, since in Silver Linings Playbook, Pat jogs past Tiffany's place, but unlike Wendy, she comes out of the house, crossing Pat's path and greeting him with a sharp "hey". Tiffany, the girl who can span time, by running with her stalker(decked out in a garbage bag), it can be construed, is in a sort of extra-diegetical communique with celluloidal Buffalo and its flickering residents. She's the retroactive ghost in Gallo's film, a conduit from the moving picture future, a second skin beneath Layla, as she coaxes the former Bills fan into believing that he's better than Wendy(who growing up, perceived Billy as garbage), which has ramifications in her own life, since throughout Silver Linings Playbook, she is proving her love for Pat is bigger than Nikki's. Hypothetically speaking, in the performative sense, Silver Linings Playbook has an alchemizing effect on Buffalo '66. The illusion of fluidity in a static art is enacted. The second ending, the one where Billy's reality turns out to be his imagination, becomes the narrative equivalent of a Hail Mary. With Pat helming the quarterback position, he throws A Farewell to Arms through the window, through time, like a football. He then goes into his parents' room and complains about Ernest Hemingway, yelling, "Can't anybody say: Hey, let's be positive? Let's have a good ending to this story?" Billy hears the audible. Outside the nudie bar, he flings his gun into the darkness: a farewell to arms. Because of Tiffany, excelsior becomes his catchword, too. Layla is his silver lining. Expand
  89. Feb 11, 2013
    Really loved this movie as a whole. Lawrence and Cooper showed great chemistry together and were able to craft a story that epitomizes balancing crazy with even more crazy. Felt like a genuine story about life and how we all need a little bit of abnormality once in a while.
  90. Feb 8, 2013
    Fronted by four impeccable performances, 'Silver Linings Playbook' is not your average rom com, but a character drama and story of emotion. It may on the outside seem generic, but David O. Russell has some impressive direction, and wonderful script writing to create an original dramedy film of the highest level. It really is the performances that steal the show here though, with Jennifer Lawrence and Bradley Cooper in particular, theres very few minor faults in this film, but its just too good to complain about them when you get a film this amazing. Expand
  91. Feb 8, 2013
    Really enjoyed this movie. The chemistry between Cooper and Lawrence is great as well as the supporting cast. It comes as the highest compliment from me that you forget you're watching actors, but rather real people. Neither the comedy or drama aspects ever feel stale and you are in it for the whole ride.
  92. Feb 8, 2013
    Annoying camera work, annoying characters, annoying actors, and annoying plot. I wouldn't be surprised if these actors actually act like their characters in real life. There's no point to this film.
  93. Feb 4, 2013
    Silver Linings Playbook is an Beautiful film with A wonderful Story brought to life by Great Acting, Colorful Dialog, and a heartfelt story. This includes the captive performances of the 4 leads with Jennifer Lawrence and Bradley Cooper igniting the most in there characters. Silver Linings Playbook is a film to remember one of the instances to successfully infuse A wonderful Love Story, A great Drama and A funny Comedy. Expand
  94. Feb 3, 2013
    Good movie, i'm happy that my friend invited me to see it. Long time no see a movie of this type. It was funny and not boring, two of the most important things to me in a movie. It was totally worth it to watch this on the big screens. The main characters had charisma and the movie had moments of comedy, romance and some drama. I recommend this movie to everyone aged above 12, it just had some cussing but ended up being a good movie to everyone. Good start, happy ending like i expected to the main characters (sorry for the spoilers). If you like humour and a weird love story, this movie is good for you.
    Overall i give a 8, not the best movie i ever saw, but one of the best i saw in a while. Usually i like more the horror type, but this one made my day
  95. Feb 3, 2013
    David O. Russell´s Silver Linings Playbook is a great film. It´s funny when it needs to be and dramatic when it needs to be. It´s funny, romantic and a great experience. The screenplay is very well written, believable and funny. The cast is remarkable, Jennifer Lawrence is amazing and Robert DeNiro basically reinvented himself. The movie is such a great experience, it´s fun, charming and delightful. It is definitely a must-see! Expand
  96. Feb 2, 2013
    One of the best movies this year. Top notch performances from every cast member. Sad and funny at the same time. It gets a little bit unrealistic around the last part, but I like it anyways, because when the movie ended I felt good, and there is nothing more to ask...Now we should go and find our silver linings too.
  97. Feb 2, 2013
    I loved this heartwarming movie that makes you feel good without it getting all syrupy. At the heart of the film is wonderful acting with both Jennifer Lawrence and Bradley Cooper delivering great performances. Also take note of the sound track featuring a duet between Bob Dylan and Johnny Cash.
  98. Jan 30, 2013
    Jennifer Lawrence slam-dunked every part of this movie. She has officially broken herself away from Catnip, and broadened her horizons to psychotic, sarcastically hilarious, bad-girl while still holding up her sex-appeal. Bradley Cooper--- Great acting. He couldn't compare to Jennifer though. The story line was amazing. A little slow, at first, but it leaves you at the edge of your seat the rest of the time. Many people who gave this bad ratings has either A) harsh feelings about certain football teams or B) only watched the first act. It's a movie I would NOT miss out on. Expand
  99. Jan 28, 2013
    The greatest date movie I've seen in years, or ever. Funny, sad, serious, everything. Plus, if you have any experiences with the subject matter you will have a lot to relate to. A couple unrealistic issues are no big deal to anyone except the annoying self-righteous types.
  100. Jan 28, 2013
    One of this year's top Oscar contenders, Silver Lining Playbook has a really great ensemble cast. Jennifer Lawrence is excellent as always, cementing her position as one of this generation's best actress. Kudos for Bradley Cooper, De Niro and Weaver. Despite its flawless cast though, at its heart, Silver Linings Playbook is a romantic comedy, filtered through David O. Russel's gritty sensibility. The plot follows a predictable trajectory; sure it's peppered with a more 'colorful' i.e. curse filled dialogue, but if you've seen romantic comedies, you'll know the drill. Expand

1. Reviewed by: David Denby
    Nov 26, 2012
    Pretty much a miscalculation from beginning to end. [26 Nov. 2012, p.87]
  2. Reviewed by: Peter Bradshaw
    Nov 25, 2012
    Likable, watchable and has a nice supporting turn from Robert De Niro; I'm not sure I wouldn't rather watch this again than the macho acting in Russell's boxing drama "The Fighter."
  3. Reviewed by: Marc Mohan
    Nov 23, 2012
    A funny, believable film about the ability of even the damaged and imperfect to earn a little happiness.