8.3

1. Nov 17, 2012
    This comfortably sits as my movie of the year thus far. I sat with a wide, satisfied smile when it was over. This won't be a full review because I want it to be fresh experience for everyone. I will say that it shows outstanding casting, writing, and directing. And its use of a certain Led Zeppelin song is so pitch perfect, it gave me goose bumps.
  2. Jan 15, 2013
    Was with it for first 2 acts. Completely fell apart and lost it's tone and believability in the third act. So much exposition just to get Deniro's friend to make a bet on them dancing (without ever having seen them dance)? Shoddy writing. Felt like a unique movie for the first 2/3 then a bad TV episode of Happy Days for the last third. Waste of a good start.
  3. Dec 22, 2012
    I really enjoyed this film. The comedy never gets in the way of the drama and vice versa. The performances are all solid. There are several actors you don't see in movies too often anymore and it is pleasant to see them again.
  4. Nov 24, 2012
    A roller coaster ride of a movie with emotions swinging from teary eyed seriousness to laugh out loud moments. Every character was well played and especially good performances from Cooper and Lawrence.
  5. Jan 12, 2013
    Jennifer Lawrence has arrived. If the Hunger Games did not catapult her to the top Silver Linings Playbook does. All of us in America come from a dysfunctional family. So what? DeNiro is a scream as a die hard Philadelphia Eagle fan. This movie is totally worthy of all the accolades it has received. Definitely worth the price of admission. Go see and enjoy.
  6. Feb 28, 2013
    This movie had me smiling all the way through. All the characters are full of life and energy. They're all a little crazy, even the sane ones, and I think that describes us all.
  7. Feb 2, 2013
    One of the best movies this year. Top notch performances from every cast member. Sad and funny at the same time. It gets a little bit unrealistic around the last part, but I like it anyways, because when the movie ended I felt good, and there is nothing more to ask...Now we should go and find our silver linings too.
  8. Nov 30, 2012
    Let me start by saying I am from Philly, and I like Robert DeNiro a lot. That being said, this has to have been the worst movie I've seen in years. This is a shallow, predictable and uninteresting tale about highly unbelievable and implausible characters. The dialogue is contrived, the plot unrealistic and ridiculous, and the acting over-the-top. The creators of this movie tried to do tooLet me start by saying I am from Philly, and I like Robert DeNiro a lot. That being said, this has to have been the worst movie I've seen in years. This is a shallow, predictable and uninteresting tale about highly unbelievable and implausible characters. The dialogue is contrived, the plot unrealistic and ridiculous, and the acting over-the-top. The creators of this movie tried to do too much. It could have been a serious story about a man recovering from mental illness and family strife, much like the excellent movie "The Fighter", or an excellent comedy about a dysfunctional and extreme family, much like "Meet the Parents." By attempting to combine both, the creators assured neither plot line was adequately developed, plausible or interesting. It was intellectually nauseating for me to watch this movie. Expand
  9. Nov 23, 2012
    A seamless blend of excellent dramatic and comedic acting. Satisfying comedy. Satisfying romance. Dozens of scenes which could have gone awry and none of them do. Some movies just gel and have a special magic and this one did for me. Please go see this movie and support real film making, great writing, and just hardcore fantastic acting.
  10. Nov 29, 2012
    What a brilliant film Bradley Cooper, Jennifer Lawrence, Robert DiNiro, Chris Tucker so funny considering the subject matter after a long day it really cheered me up some brilliant acting and great direction a must see film.
  11. Dec 10, 2012
    This movie troubled me at a level 10 on a scale of 1 to 10. In my opinion, this movie's script was badly flawed and presented a dangerous and very serious mental disease in a completely unrealistic light. Yes, the movie has a predictable and idealistic end but the end is just not conceivable given the events and the time frame depicted in the movie. I have tried to figure how thisThis movie troubled me at a level 10 on a scale of 1 to 10. In my opinion, this movie's script was badly flawed and presented a dangerous and very serious mental disease in a completely unrealistic light. Yes, the movie has a predictable and idealistic end but the end is just not conceivable given the events and the time frame depicted in the movie. I have tried to figure how this movie got such a high rating from others, but have not come up with any plausible reason except that most people know absolutely nothing about the seriousness and difficulty persons with the mental disease depicted in this movies have in their lives dealing with the disease. Collapse
  12. Jan 19, 2013
    Completely fell apart int he 3rd act. So many plot devices and contrivances to reach the underwhelming emotional finale. As over-hyped as the Eagles 2011 and 2012 seasons combined.
  13. Jan 20, 2013
    Silver Lining Playbook is inspiring for those willing to let their guard down to the uncomfortable realities told by this story, and a tastefully effective display of emotional honesty.
  14. Mar 15, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Please why does a movie that sucks so bad get an 8.2 score here From the very first scene you can tell that even Bradley Cooper doesn't know if this is a comedy or a drama. Bipolar my butt. He looks like an NFL quarterback, that is the shape he is in. The script is just beyond awful. And why did they throw Robert DeNiro into the mix Anyone who has ever seen a father and a son together know that they don't act like that...unless...it is a comedy, which it isn't. The ADD style of this movie and the constant babbling of everybody involved really go on your nerves after 7.5 minutes. I seriously start to doubt the ratings on here. I am pretty sure that Hollywood has an entire army of people who do nothing but rate up movies on sites like this one.
    And yes, why exactly WAS he wearing that modified garbage bag while running It was not even funny...
  15. Nov 27, 2012
    Silver Linings Playbook: A charmer! Bradley Cooper proves to be an actor of skill. Jennifer Lawrence proves to be a future star. First half of the film was funny but also real. Second half: what a disappointment! I can't believe the movie chose to go for the cheese fest in the second half. It totally wasted the promising premise.
  16. Nov 23, 2012
    Best movie of the year. Not one moment did my wife and I feel any incongruity in any part of this movie. It was funny and real all the way through. Very rewarding if you have accurate people skills & intuition
  17. Jan 20, 2013
    Just a little bit above the average. It's quite enjoyable, funny and likable and the performances are strong. I personally think that D.O'Russel's direction is what makes this lemonade so respectable. Still, even with the strong direction and catchy soundtrack, the screenplay, the dialogue and the whole atmosphere felt plastic and exaggerated and non-believable. And personally, I don'tJust a little bit above the average. It's quite enjoyable, funny and likable and the performances are strong. I personally think that D.O'Russel's direction is what makes this lemonade so respectable. Still, even with the strong direction and catchy soundtrack, the screenplay, the dialogue and the whole atmosphere felt plastic and exaggerated and non-believable. And personally, I don't like how this fairy-tale depicts bipolar and depressed people. Oh, and is the Solatano family really dysfunctional? I never noticed that. Expand
  18. Nov 27, 2012
    Any movie involving the Philadelphia Eagles or their mutant fans is terrible by definition. Oh yeah, Bradley Cooper is actually pretty good in this movie.
  19. Nov 23, 2012
    DeNiro & Cooper save a bit what is simply a real bad comedy, full of cliché and a Jennifer Lawrence way over the top and using a ridiculous voice. Russel always go for the easy joke, the movie never really try to explore the disease or disability. At the end it's just a nice story about a guy and a girl.
  20. Feb 13, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Two endings: one happy, one sad, wind up Billy Brown's malleable story in Vincent Gallo's Buffalo '66, the 1998 cult classic that informs Silver Linings Playbook: sometimes broadly, sometimes not. Like any good quarterback, however, the film calls many audibles and creates something new from the prevailing framework. But make no mistake about it, the QB scouted the Bills-themed indie. The QB knows the players. Billy, lost and unloved, just released from prison for a crime he didn't commit, inevitably, finds himself at a strip joint, bent on revenge with gun in hand, staring down Scott Wood, a retired placekicker whose missed game-winning field goal prompted in Billy a default on his wager to a local bookie that the designated fall guy couldn't begin to recompense. As the club's owner, Scott holds court in a private booth, in which the Super Bowl goat, surrounded by topless women, takes a bullet in the forehead before the disgruntled gambler turns the gun to the side of his own temple. Excelsior, Pat's notion that every bad situation has a silver lining is something Billy doesn't prescribe to, or so it seems, at first. Who is the omniscient QB(read: narrator) that changes the called play: the murder/suicide? Is it the bipolar high school teacher, who similar to the would-be killer, returns home after being incarcerated for a felony(he nearly beats his wife's lover to death), with the difference being that the facility is a mental hospital, not a state penitentiary? Pat, similar to Billy, grew up in a house where the preponderance of football created an extensive amount of dysfunction between parent and child. When Pat Sr. complains that Tiffany is messing up his team's juju, it reveals how for many Americans, football functions as a sort of pagan religion. In the Brown household, O.J. with the pigskin graces their wall, not J.C. on the cross. Moreover, Billy is named after the appelation given to the cold weather city's team. Clearly, both men played(and continue to play) second fiddle to an organization of beefy athletes who on Sunday, diverted their parents from the church and into a stadium, the house of laical worship. Sadly, the discovery made by Tiffany that Pat's catchword doubles as the motto used on the New York State seal, constitutes as a bona fide miracle. In Buffalo '66, god is in the details; the parking lot markings where Billy tries to drive Layla's "shifter car", look conspicuously like hash marks. The eagle, another detail, the symbol that serves as the moniker for Philadelphia's NFL team, doubles as a sign, a street sign in Buffalo, where Billy crosses Eagle Avenue during his quest for a public restroom. Therefore "reading the signs," becomes even more pronounced, becomes more than the key phrase from the letter Tiffany writes in order to trick her fellow codependent into participating at a formal dance competition. She has filmic powers. The audience can read signs, too. Tiffany passes Baldwin(as in bald eagle) Street; she spans time like Billy, but backwards instead of forwards, all the way back to Eagle Avenue. Blink and you'll miss it, but as Tiffany enters the Ben Franklin Hotel, you see a camera flash go off; it's the photo booth scene updated. Other faint echoes abound, especially the moment in Buffalo '66 when Billy runs into Wendy Balsam, his unrequited childhood crush, whose house he used to walk past, since in Silver Linings Playbook, Pat jogs past Tiffany's place, but unlike Wendy, she comes out of the house, crossing Pat's path and greeting him with a sharp "hey". Tiffany, the girl who can span time, by running with her stalker(decked out in a garbage bag), it can be construed, is in a sort of extra-diegetical communique with celluloidal Buffalo and its flickering residents. She's the retroactive ghost in Gallo's film, a conduit from the moving picture future, a second skin beneath Layla, as she coaxes the former Bills fan into believing that he's better than Wendy(who growing up, perceived Billy as garbage), which has ramifications in her own life, since throughout Silver Linings Playbook, she is proving her love for Pat is bigger than Nikki's. Hypothetically speaking, in the performative sense, Silver Linings Playbook has an alchemizing effect on Buffalo '66. The illusion of fluidity in a static art is enacted. The second ending, the one where Billy's reality turns out to be his imagination, becomes the narrative equivalent of a Hail Mary. With Pat helming the quarterback position, he throws A Farewell to Arms through the window, through time, like a football. He then goes into his parents' room and complains about Ernest Hemingway, yelling, "Can't anybody say: Hey, let's be positive? Let's have a good ending to this story?" Billy hears the audible. Outside the nudie bar, he flings his gun into the darkness: a farewell to arms. Because of Tiffany, excelsior becomes his catchword, too. Layla is his silver lining. Expand
  21. Jan 23, 2013
    Good performances. But very flawed and lots of lazy writing and direction. The scene were the "big bet" is so damn contrived and illogical that it's embarrassing and ruined everything they'd built in the first two acts. And it's freaking illogical. Anyone, especially a bookie knows a double or nothing bet is not a big deal, you just have to make another bet at the same number. You don'tGood performances. But very flawed and lots of lazy writing and direction. The scene were the "big bet" is so damn contrived and illogical that it's embarrassing and ruined everything they'd built in the first two acts. And it's freaking illogical. Anyone, especially a bookie knows a double or nothing bet is not a big deal, you just have to make another bet at the same number. You don't need to parlay it or give more points. Lazy lazy lazy.

I also like when Jennifer is listing the scores of the games she was with Cooper ... she mentions the Eagles beating the Seahawks 14-7. Well, they'd said earlier in the film that the Eagles were BEATING the Seahawks 27-10. WTF. How freaking lazy. There's also a scene where Jennifer is taping Cooper's shoe's with duct tape. But in the shot RIGHT BEFORE that his shoes ARE ALREADY TAPED. Lazy.
  22. Nov 27, 2012
    The acting of all the principles was well done and the dialog was mostly fine, however, this film did not really "grab" me as I expected, especially after hagving seen "The Fighter" by the same director. Individuals who are part of the mental health world presumably will get more out of this story. Watching the film, I kept veering between wanting to really like it, but then feelings ofThe acting of all the principles was well done and the dialog was mostly fine, however, this film did not really "grab" me as I expected, especially after hagving seen "The Fighter" by the same director. Individuals who are part of the mental health world presumably will get more out of this story. Watching the film, I kept veering between wanting to really like it, but then feelings of "who really cares" would intrude. I think Bradley Cooper is terrific but some of his acting verged on histrionics. I thought Jennifer Lawrence was better. And Robert Deniro's part just did not really add to making this a "ten" film movie. He is so much better than his role in this movie. Go to see it, but don't expect "great". Expand
  23. Feb 22, 2013
    Silver Linings Playbook is a peculiar film, because is a romantic comedy that breaks all the previews standards of that genre. Basically is the typical love story, but the interesting thing is that all the cast have a psychological problem. Starting by the protagonist couple, we see Pat (unexpectedly well played by Bradley Cooper) a bipolar that speaks before thinking, then TiffanySilver Linings Playbook is a peculiar film, because is a romantic comedy that breaks all the previews standards of that genre. Basically is the typical love story, but the interesting thing is that all the cast have a psychological problem. Starting by the protagonist couple, we see Pat (unexpectedly well played by Bradley Cooper) a bipolar that speaks before thinking, then Tiffany (Jennifer Lawrence as marvelous as always) a widow with borderline personality. The dynamic that is generated between them is based in learning how to live a normal life and be adapted to social conventions. The thing is that consequence of their condition the family and friends attempt to control their lives (the topic of the great power of the family is also noticeable in The Fighter). The family of the protagonist also is a dilemma; the father is an addicted to gambling with OCD and felt guilty because how his son turned out; the mother has an extreme necessity that all the relationships of the family maintain in order, living in denial; the brother lives with a superiority complex, but enters to a contradiction because of Pat. Then we have the friend of the protagonist who has problems with his wife so he release tension breaking stuff at his garage with hard music; the friend of the hospital invents excuses to run away and the doctor tries to fit in the American society. This great cast is amazingly well managed by David O. Russell, the only problem is that at the end the movie returns to the stereotypes of simple romantic comedies. Expand
  24. Dec 12, 2012
    The music selections and acting performances are what make this movie shine, but there are many flaws that seem to have been overlooked. As far as romantic comedies go, this one is one of the better ones with interesting twists and a good story. However, the movies depiction of various mental illnesses are astoundingly inaccurate and the fairytale ending was nothing but predictable fromThe music selections and acting performances are what make this movie shine, but there are many flaws that seem to have been overlooked. As far as romantic comedies go, this one is one of the better ones with interesting twists and a good story. However, the movies depiction of various mental illnesses are astoundingly inaccurate and the fairytale ending was nothing but predictable from the start. Expand
  25. Jan 15, 2013
    Silver Linings Playbook has great acting, some wonderful scenes, and overall characters who you root for. The problem is that this doesn't all come together. It feels like by adding another few scenes might have brought everything together. But in the version I saw in the theater, something was simply missing.
  26. Nov 20, 2012
    This movie is a mixed bag. I enjoyed everything except the main plot, which was very a typical romcom. A Boy has a problem, a girl has problem, then the boy and girl overcome that problem through mutual respect and handwork. That being said, the additional subplots and story elements are a welcome change to that typical formula. For example, the psychologist is hilarious, and theThis movie is a mixed bag. I enjoyed everything except the main plot, which was very a typical romcom. A Boy has a problem, a girl has problem, then the boy and girl overcome that problem through mutual respect and handwork. That being said, the additional subplots and story elements are a welcome change to that typical formula. For example, the psychologist is hilarious, and the peculiarities of each character are executed well (except Cooper's mother, who is pretty stale). DeNiro and Cooper's performance are excellent, and show real promise in future movies for the later. Expand
  27. Nov 24, 2012
    The first half of this movie made me slightly uncomfortable,and didn't seem to have a clear direction. I actually regretted choosing to see it at first.. But it found its voice in the second half and I ended up liking it. I enjoyed how the film captured a slice of Philadelphia.but have no idea what a "home made" is.. . .
  28. Dec 4, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This could have been a good movie if it knew where it wanted to go. The relationship struggling to overcome mental disease might have been worthwhile but the incessant need to reunite with the former wife and the ridiculous Eagles euphoria with stupid bets, ju-ju, and parlays not to mention a silly dance competition distracted the course of the movie and made it silly. So many things simply don't ring true because it tried to be more. Stupid and moronic bets are made, Eagles fans attack their own, a dysfunctional family is made so only for laughs, Copper goes berserk when ever the plot needs some stimulus, several other characters are possibly more disturbed than Cooper, Lawrence is basically conniving and dishonest to an extent, and who becomes a full blown slut just because their husband dies? I could go on with other aspects that distracted me but you get the point. This could have been better but it went for cheap laughs. Expand
  29. Feb 17, 2013
    'Silver Linings Playbook' is the best romantic comedy of the year, holding up with a plot that some crazy characters, I can only say that is insanely good. Bradley does its best to deliver a great performance, but make no mistake, the film is Jennifer Lawrence.
  30. Jul 7, 2013
    This movie, represents everything an audience dreams of seeing in a movie. First, the acting is superb. Though, this movie is predictable, the story line and great dialogue makes up for it. Jennifer Lawrence and Bradley Cooper, have amazing chemistry together, making it all the more believable. Robert DeNiro and Jackie Weaver, also stole the show, playing the role of Pat Jr. parents. ThisThis movie, represents everything an audience dreams of seeing in a movie. First, the acting is superb. Though, this movie is predictable, the story line and great dialogue makes up for it. Jennifer Lawrence and Bradley Cooper, have amazing chemistry together, making it all the more believable. Robert DeNiro and Jackie Weaver, also stole the show, playing the role of Pat Jr. parents. This movie, is hilarious, dramatic, romantic, and has a beautiful message. 'Silver Linings Playbook', is nothing short of fantastic Expand
  31. Jul 7, 2013
    I am thankful for the rare but ever so gratifying romantic comedies that are exceptionally well acted. Cooper and Lawrence were a delight to watch as they rocketed into the upper echelon of talented actors and actresses in Hollywood. The story had an insightful take on tragedy and loss that was quite refreshing. A great date night movie that will make you laugh and feel like you watched aI am thankful for the rare but ever so gratifying romantic comedies that are exceptionally well acted. Cooper and Lawrence were a delight to watch as they rocketed into the upper echelon of talented actors and actresses in Hollywood. The story had an insightful take on tragedy and loss that was quite refreshing. A great date night movie that will make you laugh and feel like you watched a movie with substance. Expand
  32. Oct 25, 2014
    it is rubish film that a man who love spouse that married with person that sex with 11 person and her father the act is very bad. robert deniro think he play in the gang movie but in film he is a father that love sport and bet. he is leader not boss of the gang
  33. Jan 26, 2013
    I watched this movie after seeing clips of Jennifer Lawrence's acceptance speech @ the Golden Globes. First off, Jennifer Lawrence is adorable and what a nice a**. Her performance in this movie was spot on. I really enjoyed the scene in the home between her and Robert DeNiro. I didn't realize he was in this movie. That must have been so exciting for Jennifer Lawrence, to be able to workI watched this movie after seeing clips of Jennifer Lawrence's acceptance speech @ the Golden Globes. First off, Jennifer Lawrence is adorable and what a nice a**. Her performance in this movie was spot on. I really enjoyed the scene in the home between her and Robert DeNiro. I didn't realize he was in this movie. That must have been so exciting for Jennifer Lawrence, to be able to work with Robert DeNiro, so early on in her career. I would guess working with him makes you bring your "A" game. That is also why I think Bradley Cooper brought the noise as well with his performance. Loved the dance scenes! This movie is more than a 'chick flick'. It is gripping, moving and a heartfelt love story that takes on so many problems people face in their own lives. Great performances by all and definitely worth the price of admission. Who knos fellas, you may even feel all warm inside at the end. Expand
  34. BKM
    Jan 23, 2013
    The main reason to watch Silver Linings Playbook is for the performances, particularly the two leads who have terrific chemistry. Bradley Cooper ventures out of his comfort zone and actually has to act instead of coasting by on his looks and Jennifer Lawrence is superb as usual. The two of them manage to hide a lot the movies flaws including it's third act problems as well as itsThe main reason to watch Silver Linings Playbook is for the performances, particularly the two leads who have terrific chemistry. Bradley Cooper ventures out of his comfort zone and actually has to act instead of coasting by on his looks and Jennifer Lawrence is superb as usual. The two of them manage to hide a lot the movies flaws including it's third act problems as well as its reluctance to deal with mental illness in any meaningful fashion. Expand
  35. Jan 27, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Silver Linings Playbook is a fun movie, with the usual compromises that touchy-feely family comedies have, especially when mixed with a heavy amount of clinical disfunctionalism.
    Most of the casting was fine, the script and work of the cast drew us in to the characters and the semi-plausible tale will bring tears to the eyes of the optimists in the audience.
    There was a little too much psychosis for me, but it was a fun two hours and the ending didn't disappoint.
  36. Lyn
    Jan 20, 2013
    It's no "Ordinary People," but I really enjoyed both the drama and comedy of this film about people just trying to survive in their different ways. And the fact that a competent cast managed to do the job in a mere two hours! Know it's not a "blockbuster," but it's less preachy than "Lincoln," doesn't embellish a real story like "Argo," is more relatable than "Zero," and has a soundtrackIt's no "Ordinary People," but I really enjoyed both the drama and comedy of this film about people just trying to survive in their different ways. And the fact that a competent cast managed to do the job in a mere two hours! Know it's not a "blockbuster," but it's less preachy than "Lincoln," doesn't embellish a real story like "Argo," is more relatable than "Zero," and has a soundtrack that's more enjoyable than 99 percent of the music in "Les Mis." Puzzled, though, by the Oscar nom for Jacki Weaver. She picks the son up at the hospital and that's about it -- kind of a zero compared with (say) Melissa Leo as the mom in "The Fighter." Expand
  37. Jan 22, 2013
    I love movies like this because it reflects just how messed up life can be sometimes. You may mess up and not get a second chance, so move on; improve yourself.

Bradley Cooper and Jennifer Lawrence play off each other wonderfully, both representing broken people who have had their lives completely drained by a previous episode. Robert De Niro is wonderful as the OCD father and the film really does ride the line of comedy and drama well. The most surprising part is how it got me rooting for the main characters, a rare-feat these days.

I would highly recommend it to anyone who is a fan of character-driven movies.
  38. Jun 4, 2013
    "A truly terrific and humorous movie all across the board. Bradley Cooper and Jennifer Lawrence shine in there best performances to date. Its a movie we all can feel good about and walk away with a great message. David O Russel is truly a genius" A-
  39. Dec 29, 2012
    A truly adorable, engaging and uplifting romantic comedy that manages to steer away from the conventional and reminds us that in order to get it right in this genre it requires both a solid script, a good director, but most of all chemistry between the leads: Lawrence has proven her self before, but Cooper is just such a revelation in a very challenging role. Recommended feel good film ofA truly adorable, engaging and uplifting romantic comedy that manages to steer away from the conventional and reminds us that in order to get it right in this genre it requires both a solid script, a good director, but most of all chemistry between the leads: Lawrence has proven her self before, but Cooper is just such a revelation in a very challenging role. Recommended feel good film of the year. Expand
  40. Sep 22, 2013
    I found it a little hard to get into at first with Bradley Cooper over-acting in places, which was beginning to put me off. The introduction of Tiffany (Jennifer Lawrence) though changed all that and the narrative began to make more sense. All the performances were excellent with (for me) Jennifer Lawrence standing out. Yes, I know De Niro is there but he’s really not a major characterI found it a little hard to get into at first with Bradley Cooper over-acting in places, which was beginning to put me off. The introduction of Tiffany (Jennifer Lawrence) though changed all that and the narrative began to make more sense. All the performances were excellent with (for me) Jennifer Lawrence standing out. Yes, I know De Niro is there but he’s really not a major character although he does play his part very well. Bradley Cooper was good, but no better really than I have seen him before. The action is littered with an awful lot of music, some I was familiar with and some not so much; all of it fitted the visuals well though and it made for a welcome enhancement to the entertainment. Over all I found it a well rounded romantic comedy (with some drama thrown in for good measure) and just a twist of quirkiness. It even touched me on an emotional level (a rare thing these days) so it gets a pretty high recommendation from me.

SteelMonster’s verdict: HIGHLY RECOMMENDED

My score: 8.3/10.
  41. Dec 7, 2012
    As the movie begins, Bradley Cooper is released from a mental facility where he was sentenced after a violent incident. He returns home to his parents (De Niro's his dad) and tries to get his demons under control. It's not long til he meets his unstable soulmate (Jennifer Lawrence) and the knotty relationship develops. This is not a punchline script: The humor comes from the characters andAs the movie begins, Bradley Cooper is released from a mental facility where he was sentenced after a violent incident. He returns home to his parents (De Niro's his dad) and tries to get his demons under control. It's not long til he meets his unstable soulmate (Jennifer Lawrence) and the knotty relationship develops. This is not a punchline script: The humor comes from the characters and their unwieldy interactions. Expect more quiet chuckles than outright laughter. Performances are uniformly strong (great to see Chris Tucker) with Lawrence adding to her short list of impressive characters. If you enjoy watching emotional outbursts and frantic family arguments, you may find this film entertaining. I was never bored, but never captivated either. Expand
  42. Feb 23, 2013
    This is a most enjoyable, convincing, thoughtful and true to life comedy/drama/romance about a dysfunctional family. There's an excellent screenplay, direction and four strong acting performances in this film. Jennifer Lawrence's performance is especially impressive.
  43. Dec 17, 2012
    I loved this film. A perfect balance between humor, drama, and quirkiness. I thought the chemistry between Pat and Tiffany was through the roof. The acting and writing are excellent throughout. David O. Russell seems to be one of those directors that gets superb performances by the entire cast. "I made crabbie snacks and homemades!". I laughed every time his mother said it. Pat andI loved this film. A perfect balance between humor, drama, and quirkiness. I thought the chemistry between Pat and Tiffany was through the roof. The acting and writing are excellent throughout. David O. Russell seems to be one of those directors that gets superb performances by the entire cast. "I made crabbie snacks and homemades!". I laughed every time his mother said it. Pat and Tiffany's discussion about all the meds they've taken was hilarious. I laughed a lot during the film and was rooting for these two to get together right from the start. The best romantic comedy I've seen in years. This movie and "Life of Pi" are the best two films I've seen this year. Oh - I also really enjoyed the music selection for the film as well. Expand
  44. Jan 20, 2013
    For me, this film worked at every level. It's funny, sad, tragic, compelling, screwed up and absolutely entertaining. Not a dull moment here and it's not even an action movie! Cooper + Lawrence are beautiful together and believable.
  45. Feb 23, 2013
    This is a comedy of category A, this love story between 2 people with mental health problems makes that the Viewer is love, at a certain point no I thought it was the best movie of the year, but if offers the best deal with the best performances of the year, mainly Lawrence, Cooper and De Niro.
  46. Jan 28, 2013
    The greatest date movie I've seen in years, or ever. Funny, sad, serious, everything. Plus, if you have any experiences with the subject matter you will have a lot to relate to. A couple unrealistic issues are no big deal to anyone except the annoying self-righteous types.
  47. Feb 22, 2013
    Incredible movie. Cooper and Lawrence could both be up for an Oscar for this puppy. The development of Cooper's character is given with care and validity. My only gripe is the betting of the football game and dance. That seemed a little cliche.
  48. Dec 25, 2012
    If you had a "Rom Com" written by John Cassevetes and Woody Allen with the football part of " Saturday Night Lights"

- mixing in the dance Scene from " Saturday Night Fever" but with a few Double Vodkas thrown in; - quickly You might get a glimmer of how brilliant this very small film is. Loved the Dinner scene, the Diner Scene & Bradley Cooper nails it. Go ! The Acting on a scale

Loved the Dinner scene, the Diner Scene &
    Bradley Cooper nails it.
    Go !
    The Acting on a scale of 1- 10 is a Fifty.
  49. Mar 12, 2014
    An interesting and different story. Terrific characters and even better characters who bring these characters to life- Silver Linings Playbook is amazing. Well, we best start with the story. Pat/Bradley Cooper has just left a mental hospital after he assaulted a man who was having an affair with this wife- and he also has bipolar... after reconnecting with his family and friends, heAn interesting and different story. Terrific characters and even better characters who bring these characters to life- Silver Linings Playbook is amazing. Well, we best start with the story. Pat/Bradley Cooper has just left a mental hospital after he assaulted a man who was having an affair with this wife- and he also has bipolar... after reconnecting with his family and friends, he eventually meets Tiffany/Jennifer Lawrence who has also been experiencing mental illnesses of her own after her husband died. The two become friends after Tiffany agrees to help Pat communicate with his wife by becoming her dance partner for a competition she wants to take part in. While the story is very interesting and different from other movies of its genre, another thing that makes this movie so amazing is the performances. Robert de Niro is great as Pat's father, and Bradley Cooper also does a fantastic job playing Pat. But, for me personally, Jennifer Lawrence hands down offers the best performance of the film- definitely worthy of her Oscar. The way she portrays Tiffany, with her mental illness, severe mood swings, borderline depression and interesting personality is absolutely fantastic. While the performances are very praiseworthy, the film's dialogue is also very funny, with just the somewhat suttle humorous side- like Pat's persistent mentioning of Tiffany's husband's death or how Tiffany lost her job. Overall, a very heartwarming movie which definitely deserves all the praise it gets. And that is why Silver Linings Playbook is one of my favourite films of all time. Expand
  50. Jan 4, 2013
    Touching movie about life twists, when human tracks reassemble and diverge, beyond control. Pat (Bradley Cooper) is discharged from a mental institution after eight months supervision for beating his wife lover. He accidentally meets Tiffany (Jennifer Lawrence) a widower who lost her job after being engaged in sexual relationships with her colleagues following her husband sudden death.Touching movie about life twists, when human tracks reassemble and diverge, beyond control. Pat (Bradley Cooper) is discharged from a mental institution after eight months supervision for beating his wife lover. He accidentally meets Tiffany (Jennifer Lawrence) a widower who lost her job after being engaged in sexual relationships with her colleagues following her husband sudden death. Both are back to their parents home, starting all over, trying to rehabilitate and reconcile with their families and new life. Pat is obsessed by regaining his wife, seeks the help of Tiffany in exchange of participating with her in a dance contest. This line goes with Pat father (Roberto De Nero) trying to win a gamble to own a restaurant if his team Philadelphia Eagles wins along with Pat and Tiffany scoring 5 of 10 in the contest. Pat hardly sought love for his wife is diverted to Tiffany at the last ten minutes of this two hours movie. They got the 5 out of 10 in the dance contest, Philadelphia Eagles wins, Pat father gets the restaurant. Happy finale, for a well crafted scenario, acting, and directing, from the whole team, no one is exempted from the credit. Life is not what's expected or anticipated, human feelings are not stereotyped, a must see movie that won't let you bored. Expand
  51. Jan 16, 2013
    Such great dialogue that it deserves an Oscar - and makes you realize how starved you are for intelligent dialogue in movies. Bradley Cooper and Jennifer Lawrence have surprisingly good chemistry and this helps you overcome the desire to (occasionally) slap them silly.
  52. Jul 2, 2013
    One of the best films of the year. Silver Linings isn't just one of the best feel good movies of recent times but it's also enormously entertaining and a crowd pleaser at that. The film focuses upon Pat Solitano (Bradley Cooper), a man suffering from bipolar disorder recently released from a psychiatric hospital returns home to live with his parents, Pat Sr. (Robert De Niro) & DelorisOne of the best films of the year. Silver Linings isn't just one of the best feel good movies of recent times but it's also enormously entertaining and a crowd pleaser at that. The film focuses upon Pat Solitano (Bradley Cooper), a man suffering from bipolar disorder recently released from a psychiatric hospital returns home to live with his parents, Pat Sr. (Robert De Niro) & Deloris (Jacki Weaver). Determined to win back his estranged wife, he meets Tiffany (Jennifer Lawrence) who recently widowed agrees to help him if he enters dance competition with her. As they become closer they both must deal with their relationships with each other whilst coping with their disorders. The performances of the leads were lauded and it's easy to see why. They give some phenomenal performances. Cooper and Lawrence in the lead roles are incredible! The pair's edgy raport and mesmerizing chemistry sees them both deliver a pitch perfect performance. It's relationship that is a sheer delight to watch! Lawrence won the Academy Award and rightfully so, she is superb, especially when you consider she was just 21 at the time. Cooper also proves to an instant hit His stock continues to rise and he is outstanding in his role. They ren't alone and whilst they steal the show the legendary De Niro comes up trumps once again working with Cooper as his doting, unconventional father. But in such as small role it's Chris Tucker who proves to be irresistible. His presence lights up this film, everyone has witnessed his antics in the Rush Hour franchise but in a more subtle role he excels! Great credit also goes to David O. Russell. His smart screenplay is almost ingenious! The way he tackles mental illness and succeeds delivering such immensely satisfying results is excellent. It's such a charming and sharp film! All in all, this is such a marvellous movie. David O. Russell succeeds were many would have failed. With some career high and possibly defining performances this is a meaningful must see film. Crazy good!! Expand
  53. Feb 22, 2013
    The first two-thirds of the film were pretty great. I was enjoying the acting and the storyline. But then someone decided it was a good idea to throw a ridiculous, moronic bet into the plot and the film kind of falls apart, devolving into a generic (but admittedly sweet) rom-com ending. Worst of all, there was just no need for the goofy bet; the film was going to be fine without it. IThe first two-thirds of the film were pretty great. I was enjoying the acting and the storyline. But then someone decided it was a good idea to throw a ridiculous, moronic bet into the plot and the film kind of falls apart, devolving into a generic (but admittedly sweet) rom-com ending. Worst of all, there was just no need for the goofy bet; the film was going to be fine without it. I give a lot of credit to the actors, then, for making the whole affair watchable anyway. Cooper and Lawrence do their best work ever here, and De Niro and Tucker get their best roles in years. Expand
  54. May 29, 2014
    An oddly uneven film full of lots of WTF moments. Billed as a romantic comedy that is neither romantic nor comedic, this film never seemed to figure out what it wanted to be. Starts off as "one flew over the cuckoos nest" and ends as "dirty dancing". The whole bet thing at the end is implausible, as is having a dancefloor built into your house, a cop always turning up within a second ofAn oddly uneven film full of lots of WTF moments. Billed as a romantic comedy that is neither romantic nor comedic, this film never seemed to figure out what it wanted to be. Starts off as "one flew over the cuckoos nest" and ends as "dirty dancing". The whole bet thing at the end is implausible, as is having a dancefloor built into your house, a cop always turning up within a second of you doing something wrong and trusting all your money on someone you hardly know on a competition you know nothing about. Great performances by Bradley Cooper and Jennifer Lawrence, which is why I suspect all the reviewers like it, however the rest of the cast is weak (particularly Robert De Niro who, yet again, phones in his part). Expected so much more from this but overall it's one of those films that you forget as soon as you finish watching it. Expand
  55. Oct 23, 2013
    David O. Russell hasn't quite grasped a more careful idea of portraying mental illness within a dramedy. The transparent depiction inside a Hollywood, Oscar-baited film becomes clearer towards the end, and if he knew that this script would win awards then he possibly didn't try it convincingly enough. The ending was purely cringeworthy, it lost its likeability pretty quickly and theDavid O. Russell hasn't quite grasped a more careful idea of portraying mental illness within a dramedy. The transparent depiction inside a Hollywood, Oscar-baited film becomes clearer towards the end, and if he knew that this script would win awards then he possibly didn't try it convincingly enough. The ending was purely cringeworthy, it lost its likeability pretty quickly and the sentimental drama that is said to be cleverly executed and believable is actually riddled with cliches. The bipolar illness itself is treated as more of a side-issue it kills any chance of an even tone by switching it on and off when needed. The comedy fails to distract from these problems, making light of the real issues (with its subject and the plot itself) and acting as if this is what it truly means to have bipolar. Expand
  56. Jan 28, 2013
    One of this year's top Oscar contenders, Silver Lining Playbook has a really great ensemble cast. Jennifer Lawrence is excellent as always, cementing her position as one of this generation's best actress. Kudos for Bradley Cooper, De Niro and Weaver. Despite its flawless cast though, at its heart, Silver Linings Playbook is a romantic comedy, filtered through David O. Russel's grittyOne of this year's top Oscar contenders, Silver Lining Playbook has a really great ensemble cast. Jennifer Lawrence is excellent as always, cementing her position as one of this generation's best actress. Kudos for Bradley Cooper, De Niro and Weaver. Despite its flawless cast though, at its heart, Silver Linings Playbook is a romantic comedy, filtered through David O. Russel's gritty sensibility. The plot follows a predictable trajectory; sure it's peppered with a more 'colorful' i.e. curse filled dialogue, but if you've seen romantic comedies, you'll know the drill. Expand
  57. Jan 13, 2013
    The Silver Linings Playbook has no flaws at all. Jennifer Lawrence and Bradley Cooper somehow manage to be the most entertaining characters of the year. The cast gives potent and wonderful performances and it has an excellent screenplay. This is a great film and should be a big hit at the Oscar's. I give this film 94%.
  58. May 6, 2013
    While I don't think Silver Linings Playbook was quite worthy of all the praise it got from the "experts" and the academy, it was still a very good movie. Bradley Cooper is absolutely fantastic. This is by far the best role he's ever had and he shows that he really is a very good actor. Jennifer Lawrence is also incredible. Not only is she stunning but the range of her acting abilitiesWhile I don't think Silver Linings Playbook was quite worthy of all the praise it got from the "experts" and the academy, it was still a very good movie. Bradley Cooper is absolutely fantastic. This is by far the best role he's ever had and he shows that he really is a very good actor. Jennifer Lawrence is also incredible. Not only is she stunning but the range of her acting abilities seems to have no bounds. A lot of that range is shown in this film and, while I can't confirm that she did in fact perform better than the competition, I can say that her role was flawless and I can't argue her winning an Oscar for it. The supporting cast was also great with Robert De Niro and Chris Tucker, among others, providing added depth to the movie. The only flaw I had was that it dragged quite a bit towards the middle/end portion. It started great and ended great and most of the middle was very entertaining but from about the 60% to 80% part of the film it did feel a bit sluggish. Nonetheless, the dialogue and character development keeps you intrigued so I think most people would appreciate the movie. Expand
  59. Apr 2, 2013
    Finally a cinema-going to officially culminate all the Oscar BEST PICTURE nominee of last year, SILVER LININGS PLAYBOOK treads upon a traditionally crowd-pleasing boy-meet-girl romantic genre while smartly embodying two main characters with distinguished personal mental foibles, which is a masterstroke to keep them refreshing and connected with the present quirk-emancipated modernFinally a cinema-going to officially culminate all the Oscar BEST PICTURE nominee of last year, SILVER LININGS PLAYBOOK treads upon a traditionally crowd-pleasing boy-meet-girl romantic genre while smartly embodying two main characters with distinguished personal mental foibles, which is a masterstroke to keep them refreshing and connected with the present quirk-emancipated modern generation.

After his ambitious brothers-boxers drama THE FIGHTER (2010, 8/10), David O. Russell has ascended to the top tier of Hollywood where he can harness marquee stars and meaty source materials, thus, SILVER LININGS PLAYBOOK has all its edges to be winsome and lovable, but somewhat the final outcome doesn’t live up much to the heated expectation, personally I am rather stolid from the American football fanaticism and the “parley gamble” bidding is by no means a recommendable action to be encouraged (but it is an intrinsic default in the source novel, O. Russell should not take the blame here I suppose), anyway, the scenario does make wonders to gyrate a captivating duo-dance between Bradley Cooper and Jennifer Lawrence, both utterly committed to their characters, verbal ripostes are acetic and sharply accessible. The chemistry sparkles albeit of the age-gap of the actors (a inconceivable 15 years in real life).

Jennifer Lawrence’s Oscar-crowning has sparked (understandably)
    controversies (like most of the years), but it is like the film itself, acceptable (for me), the stretch of her character may be impeded by the condescending male-perspective of winning the right girl, why on earth it always ends with a stale “it is the girl who lingers on the verge of being hurt” plot even under the exception of the mighty confidence discharging from Lawrence’s character. Her youth is the double-edged sword in this case, thanks to her mature countenance, audience may not detect it instantly, and the film also bypasses to specify her age. So it is a younger example of Helen Hunt’s win and looks like a future Jodie Foster career orbit, plus her Kristen Stewart popularity (THE HUNGER GAME franchise will continue lighting her path), she is the “it girl” in Hollywood right now and a role model of the industry.

Bradley Cooper, a later-bloomer in his leading man status, has seized an unexpected earlier harvest in Oscar-nomination than most of his contemporaries, although constantly in the danger of being overshadowed by his more sapient co-stars, performance-wise, it is his own victory. Robert De Niro and Jacki Weaver, are not in my top 10 list of the year, since the script doesn’t challenge them hard enough, but they do reflect the slice-of-life authenticity of the endearing parents (except that De Niro’s weeping scene is too maudlin to endure). And forget about Chris Tucker, I don’t know why he pops up here to interrupt his satisfactory (both to him and to me) holed-up.

So, it is a happily-ever-after fairytale full of mentally unstable people with various neuroses, the steady-cam cinematography looks hipster but also impairs one’s concentration, the ultimate dance-routine is mesmerizingly shot, but the banal ending does causing a compulsive meh before the credits rolls, although the final speech is fine and (artificially) sincere.
  60. Jul 3, 2014
    Even though the acting is great, no one can deny that, the story simply fails to keep you interested through out. I wanted to like it but I simply couldn't. It was an awkward comedic drama that just wasn't funny.
  61. Dec 16, 2012
    People are hopelessly flawed, but that doesn't mean that happiness is out of reach. This movie is a celebration of the human spirit, and I love it so much. Might be my favorite of 2012.
  62. Feb 4, 2013
    Silver Linings Playbook is an Beautiful film with A wonderful Story brought to life by Great Acting, Colorful Dialog, and a heartfelt story. This includes the captive performances of the 4 leads with Jennifer Lawrence and Bradley Cooper igniting the most in there characters. Silver Linings Playbook is a film to remember one of the instances to successfully infuse A wonderful Love Story, ASilver Linings Playbook is an Beautiful film with A wonderful Story brought to life by Great Acting, Colorful Dialog, and a heartfelt story. This includes the captive performances of the 4 leads with Jennifer Lawrence and Bradley Cooper igniting the most in there characters. Silver Linings Playbook is a film to remember one of the instances to successfully infuse A wonderful Love Story, A great Drama and A funny Comedy. Expand
  63. Apr 18, 2013
    It is surprising how the movie is able to combine so many conflicts in 120 minutes, and still make me laughing at some point. It is one of those movies which you thought it was plain while watching it, but when you think about it moments later, you'll find it good. I see blue sky, white clouds and shining sun in my mind while the credits going. Definitely not good enough to win Oscar forIt is surprising how the movie is able to combine so many conflicts in 120 minutes, and still make me laughing at some point. It is one of those movies which you thought it was plain while watching it, but when you think about it moments later, you'll find it good. I see blue sky, white clouds and shining sun in my mind while the credits going. Definitely not good enough to win Oscar for The Best Movie, but obviously good enough to win Jennifer The Best Actress. Expand
  64. Feb 2, 2013
    I loved this heartwarming movie that makes you feel good without it getting all syrupy. At the heart of the film is wonderful acting with both Jennifer Lawrence and Bradley Cooper delivering great performances. Also take note of the sound track featuring a duet between Bob Dylan and Johnny Cash.
  65. Dec 15, 2012
    Cooper plays a nut just out of the asylum who returns home to live with mom and dad and get his life together and win back his wife (who had an affair that caused him to have a psychotic break).The first half of the movie plays like a modern version of One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. And while that's for me the more unusual and the better half of the
  66. Sep 1, 2014
    Not only do Bradley Cooper and Jennifer Lawrence give two of the best performances of the year, the film is a romantic masterpiece. Between first-rate writing and an ensemble-to-kill, The Weinstein Company has a gem on their hands.
  67. May 4, 2013
    Silver Linings Playbook is wonderful. Everybody and I mean everybody acted brilliantly. Bradley Cooper and Jennifer Lawrence complement each other perfectly, which made the movie believable. The film strikes a good balance between humor, drama, and quirkiness.
  68. Nov 30, 2013
    Jen and Brad are outstanding and display remarkable chemistry. Among one of the best films in years. It is meaningful and hilarious and has a wonderful supporting cast. I just love it.
  69. Feb 21, 2013
    Silver Linings is a film that could have done so many things wrong and offended so many people, but luckily it does everything so right and comes across as one of 2012's best films. Patrick suffers from bipolar, brought around by his wife's affair, and he is being let out of an institution for the mentally unstable to go live back at home with his parents. Pat is determined to get backSilver Linings is a film that could have done so many things wrong and offended so many people, but luckily it does everything so right and comes across as one of 2012's best films. Patrick suffers from bipolar, brought around by his wife's affair, and he is being let out of an institution for the mentally unstable to go live back at home with his parents. Pat is determined to get back into shape, sort out his mental health problems and sort out his marriage with his wife however the restraining order she put on him makes this extremely difficult and only makes matters worse for him. However when me meets Tiffany, a person who also has mental health issues and can relate to what he is going through they decide to become friends and help each other in each others problems. Pat needs to get back with his wife and Tiffany needs a dance partner, however as the relationship they start grows they begin to realise that what they set out to do in the first place no longer matters as long as they are together.
    Silver Linings is expertly written, well casted, light hearted on serious matter yet never comes across as poking fun at mental health problems. Bradley Cooper and Jennifer Lawrence perfectly compliment yet also contrast with each other in this film in all the right places and the supporting cast including the likes of Robert DeNiro just makes this film truly stand-out from the rest of the 'feel good film' genre. The perfect film to make you feel sad, happy, romantic, angry and ultimately make you realise that everything has a Silver Lining.
  70. Dec 28, 2012
    Bradley Cooper is not only People Magazine
  71. May 1, 2013
    Going into this movie, I had seen David O. Russell's last film, The Fighter. This movie was just as good, and he has now become a favorite director of mine. With utterly perfect casting, and a great story, the movie delivered and left me not only satisfied, but very impressed and happy. Jennifer Lawrence deserved every ounce of that Oscar, and likewise for the nominations for the otherGoing into this movie, I had seen David O. Russell's last film, The Fighter. This movie was just as good, and he has now become a favorite director of mine. With utterly perfect casting, and a great story, the movie delivered and left me not only satisfied, but very impressed and happy. Jennifer Lawrence deserved every ounce of that Oscar, and likewise for the nominations for the other three. Easily my favorite film of 2012. Expand
  72. Jan 19, 2013
    Silver linings Playbook follows a certain formula and plays by the rule a bit, but it does so ten times better than your average rom com; thanks to its added layer of manic and genuinely dramatic elements. By directing and writing this film, David O
  73. Jan 12, 2013
    Every once in a blue moon a romantic comedy gets made that engages you with the characters and breaks away from the usual romantic comedy tropes. Silver Linings Playbook is that film. The story revolves around two people battling similar behavior issues. Each have lost their spouses, although in much different ways, and have coped with their losses in different, but equally destructiveEvery once in a blue moon a romantic comedy gets made that engages you with the characters and breaks away from the usual romantic comedy tropes. Silver Linings Playbook is that film. The story revolves around two people battling similar behavior issues. Each have lost their spouses, although in much different ways, and have coped with their losses in different, but equally destructive ways. The movie revolves around the building of their relationship and their friend and family dynamics. While this film is not formulaic it does fall into some bad habits towards the end, and the twist that is meant to impact the third act actually means very little in the grand scheme. Where this movie excels is in the characters interactions with each other. Everyone in this film looks at our two protagonists as if they are nuts, but what this movie does so well is show us that everyone is off their rocker, even if we don't all show the manifestation of it in the same way. A great, touching story with amazing performances down the line. This movie lives up to the hype it is receiving. Expand
  74. Feb 3, 2013
    David O. Russell´s Silver Linings Playbook is a great film. It´s funny when it needs to be and dramatic when it needs to be. It´s funny, romantic and a great experience. The screenplay is very well written, believable and funny. The cast is remarkable, Jennifer Lawrence is amazing and Robert DeNiro basically reinvented himself. The movie is such a great experience, it´s fun, charming andDavid O. Russell´s Silver Linings Playbook is a great film. It´s funny when it needs to be and dramatic when it needs to be. It´s funny, romantic and a great experience. The screenplay is very well written, believable and funny. The cast is remarkable, Jennifer Lawrence is amazing and Robert DeNiro basically reinvented himself. The movie is such a great experience, it´s fun, charming and delightful. It is definitely a must-see! Expand
  75. Jan 20, 2013
    Well, honestly speaking, Silver Linings Playbook is the best romantic comedy-drama film I have watched in 2012. I'm not even exaggerating it, I'm not a fan of Hollywood romance but there comes a time when someone, out of the blue, does something marvelous. Congratulations to David O. Russell for writing and directing such a wonderful piece of story, which is imperfect, includes aWell, honestly speaking, Silver Linings Playbook is the best romantic comedy-drama film I have watched in 2012. I'm not even exaggerating it, I'm not a fan of Hollywood romance but there comes a time when someone, out of the blue, does something marvelous. Congratulations to David O. Russell for writing and directing such a wonderful piece of story, which is imperfect, includes a dysfunctional family, two damaged persons and despite all those imperfections, it is a flawless and perfect story. Some romantic films seem predictable at times when you're watching them with complete attention but Silver Linings Playbook is unpredictable. You think something bad would happen in the next scene but it turns out to be the complete opposite. Hats off to Bradley Cooper and Jennifer Lawrence's excellent performances. I know how great of an actor Lawrence is, but the big surprise of this film is none other than Cooper; his character and its execution, his dialogues and expressions are wonderful, he has carried it out extremely well, I don't think anyone else would have done it in the same way. Here is an argument that the film doesn't have a powerful story and gets lame at times. My only response to that is this love story is told in such a beautiful way that you can easily ignore all the bad things, but there isn't a single bad thing about this film, for me. My expectations from this film were higher than the Mount Everest and yet it still surprised me with its ingenuity and beauty. The imperfection of its story and its characters is what makes it flawless and perfect and that is the sole reason I call it the best love story of 2012. Expand
  76. Feb 8, 2013
    Fronted by four impeccable performances, 'Silver Linings Playbook' is not your average rom com, but a character drama and story of emotion. It may on the outside seem generic, but David O. Russell has some impressive direction, and wonderful script writing to create an original dramedy film of the highest level. It really is the performances that steal the show here though, with JenniferFronted by four impeccable performances, 'Silver Linings Playbook' is not your average rom com, but a character drama and story of emotion. It may on the outside seem generic, but David O. Russell has some impressive direction, and wonderful script writing to create an original dramedy film of the highest level. It really is the performances that steal the show here though, with Jennifer Lawrence and Bradley Cooper in particular, theres very few minor faults in this film, but its just too good to complain about them when you get a film this amazing. Expand
  77. Jan 21, 2013
    I loved this movie. I don't usually like Bradley Cooper, but I thought he did great in this movie. Jennifer Lawrence stole the show, though. Her performance really made this movie.
  78. Mar 13, 2014
    A very good film. Both Bradley Cooper and Jennifer Lawrence did an outstanding job in their respective leading roles. It was entertaining and very original especially for a romantic comedy. It certainly is a movie that will be remembered as being a the top of the genre.
  79. Nov 14, 2013
    Took a little bit for me to get into it, but once I was in, I was hooked. Bradley Cooper and Jennifer Lawrence are phenomenal, and overall, the film is just incredibly touching and heartfelt. Really good film.
  80. Nov 30, 2012
    The best movie I have seen all year! It had it all...drama, tears, humor, romance...Bradley Cooper was smoking hot and should be an Oscar nominee for this one.
  81. Jan 13, 2013
    This has got to be the best movie I have seen in 2012 ! I was so blown away from the Incredible preformnace by both lead actors: Bradly Cooper and Jennifer Lawrence. Jennifer is such a talented actress. She has proven herself big time in this movie. When she was casted for The Hunger Games I was skeptical and disappointed. But then i saw the movie and I found myself amazed and shocked byThis has got to be the best movie I have seen in 2012 ! I was so blown away from the Incredible preformnace by both lead actors: Bradly Cooper and Jennifer Lawrence. Jennifer is such a talented actress. She has proven herself big time in this movie. When she was casted for The Hunger Games I was skeptical and disappointed. But then i saw the movie and I found myself amazed and shocked by her preformance. She is so talented. She's got a great sense of humor and she was balancing the emotions so well. I can't wait to see her in future movies! Bradly Cooper and Jennifer Lawrence had such a great chemistry between them. The movie was not the normal Romantic comedy and that was the thing that made it so touching. I was so drawn to it. I loved every sec of it! The movie was balanced well and i found myself laughing so hard and then the next minute feeling sad it was a rollercoaster of so many mixed wmotions. I would totally be happy if they win the Oscars. I think they deserve it! Expand
  82. Jan 15, 2013
    Finally! a unique movie that combines elements of real life with the awesome and I mean Oscar winning performance of Bradley Cooper. Also the Led Zepp song was awesome. I give it a Perfect score, done movie of the year
  83. Mar 2, 2013
    David O.Russel is a genius perfect writing beautiful story really likebale characters and an inforgatable performences by the actors especially jennifer lawrence and bradely cooper who proove to be one of hollywood strongest performers, really worth watching
  84. Jan 11, 2014
    A surprisingly touching and lively movie, which makes you think about the surrounding life in a more positive way. I liked the story and the performance of ALL the actors was top notch. This movie should not be missed.
  85. Jan 13, 2013
    I rode the story like an exciting roller coaster ride. The acting by all was superb. Robert DiNiro gives his best performance in years. Clever and spontaneous are the two words I would use to describe this film.
  86. Mar 26, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Dopo qualche anno un po’ interlocutorio, un piacere ritrovare Robert De Niro così in forma. Seppur sfavorito dal doppiaggio, il suo Pat sr. si allinea con merito a un lungo elenco di personaggi indimenticabili, molte volte alle prese con qualche disturbo della personalità. Forse non proprio corretto cominciare dal grande Bob nel raccontare il bel film di Russell, ma la sua ottima prova un valido metro per giudicare le altre interpretazioni che si rivelano tutte dello stesso livello: la coppia costituita da De Niro e Jacki Weaver gareggia per intensità con quella principale composta da Bradley Cooper e Jennifer Lawrence, giustificando l’entusiasmo che ha portato tutti e quattro alle nomination da cui poi scaturita la statuetta di migliore attrice protagonista per Lawrence. La ragazza lo si può ben dire, visti i soli ventidue anni pare trasformata rispetto a quella vista in ‘Hunger games’ e dà vita a una Tiffany fragile ma determinata contro la quale va a sbattere (per caso? Forse…) Pat jr, che nasconde dietro lo sguardo di ghiaccio un mondo di insicurezze che Cooper rende con notevole profondità. Il giovanotto ci mette davvero troppo a innamorarsene (o a capire di esserne innamorato) quando, quasi subito, c’è un primo piano, impreziosito dalle gote arrossate in seguito a una corsa, che stenderebbe chiunque: però c’è da capirlo, visto che appena uscito da una clinica e deve combattere contro una personalità bipolare esplosa scoprendo la moglie in flagrante adulterio. Del resto tutta la pellicola parla di difficoltà psichiche: Tiffany combatte contro la depressione originata dalla morte del marito mentre Pat sr. un maniaco ossessivo con la fissa dei Philadelphia Eagles (si pure beccato una sorta di Daspo per comportamenti violenti allo stadio) e delle scommesse, alle quali rischia di sacrificare patrimonio e famiglia. Ma, malgrado le difficoltà, Pat jr. si ostina a cercare il lato positivo (ovvero ‘il bordo argentato delle nuvole’, come da titolo del romanzo di Matthew Quick da cui il regista ha tratto la sceneggiatura), ripetendosi come un mantra ‘Excelsior!’ (letteralmente ‘più in alto!’) fino a dimostrare pur tra frenate e difficoltà, sempre con l’aiuto di Tiffany che l’ottimismo alla fine paga (ovvero ‘il sale della vita’). Affermazioni, queste ultime, che non possono non richiamare alla memoria il cinema di Frank Capra, il cui fantasma pare aleggiare anche nella lacrimogena scena madre finale: il resto della narrazione sembra invece delineare una sorta di Billy Wilder dei giorni nostri, grazie alla capacità di stemperare le amarezze con i sorrisi (e viceversa) e alla vitalità nonché al ritmo di dialoghi taglienti e sovente trascinanti. La qualità della scrittura di Russell si rispecchia nella regia, che ambienta la storia in un anonimo sobborgo fatto di villette con giardino e può così concentrarsi con l’aiuto della fotografia di Masanobu Takayanagi sui volti e sugli stati d’animo dei personaggi. Un insieme di aspetti (lati) positivi che conferma ancora una volta che non tanto importante ciò che si racconta, ma come lo si racconta. Ridotta all’osso, difatti, abbiamo qui una storia di caduta e redenzione che passa attraverso l’amore e una gara di ballo, in cui la diversità sociale sempre meglio dell’ipocrisia (vedi la finta coppia felice composta da Ronnie e Veronica), eppure ‘Il lato positivo’ un film che coinvolge ed emoziona dall’inizio alla fine: riesce così più facile sorvolare con serenità su qualche salto logico, compreso quello abbastanza evidente proprio nel sottofinale, (attenzione, spoiler!) in cui Pat jr., con in tasca la lettera in cui si dichiara, deve farsi spingere dal padre a rincorrere Tiffany (però così De Niro ci guadagna un’altra bella scena…). Expand
  87. Dec 13, 2012
    A unique film because of the way it tells a light human story in such a hard dramatic way. The most invigorating aspect of Silver Linings Playbook- and there are many- is its masterful script and the actors delivering the well-paced, careful lines. There isn
  88. Jan 23, 2013
    A sort of modern day When Harry Met Sally, if Harry and Sally were both diagnosed with bi-polar disorder. A funny adult comedy, not your average Kathrine Heigl (post-Knocked Up) rom-com. Nice to see a movie that is romantic, and yet is not a painstakingly dull story that induces the "ooohs and ahhs" from women viewers that love Nicholas Sparks.
  89. Nov 26, 2012
    Enjoy every bit of the movie. It was funny, sweet and I love both actors. I would see it again. My daughter and I both found it to be a movie to remember.
  90. Dec 12, 2012
    I thoroughly enjoyed this movie. I do like both Bradley Cooper and Jennifer Lawrence, but this film also features a variety of other great actors who I love. Such as Robert de Niro, Chris Tucker, Julia Stiles and Shea Whigham. The plot is interesting, the acting is great, the comedy value is high but most of all this features an emotional tale between two crazy people. This is definitelyI thoroughly enjoyed this movie. I do like both Bradley Cooper and Jennifer Lawrence, but this film also features a variety of other great actors who I love. Such as Robert de Niro, Chris Tucker, Julia Stiles and Shea Whigham. The plot is interesting, the acting is great, the comedy value is high but most of all this features an emotional tale between two crazy people. This is definitely a a great movie to watch with a loved one or date. But I went, alone, and still enjoyed it a lot. Definitely worth the watch! Expand
  91. Feb 3, 2013
    Good movie, i'm happy that my friend invited me to see it. Long time no see a movie of this type. It was funny and not boring, two of the most important things to me in a movie. It was totally worth it to watch this on the big screens. The main characters had charisma and the movie had moments of comedy, romance and some drama. I recommend this movie to everyone aged above 12, it just hadGood movie, i'm happy that my friend invited me to see it. Long time no see a movie of this type. It was funny and not boring, two of the most important things to me in a movie. It was totally worth it to watch this on the big screens. The main characters had charisma and the movie had moments of comedy, romance and some drama. I recommend this movie to everyone aged above 12, it just had some cussing but ended up being a good movie to everyone. Good start, happy ending like i expected to the main characters (sorry for the spoilers). If you like humour and a weird love story, this movie is good for you.
    Overall i give a 8, not the best movie i ever saw, but one of the best i saw in a while. Usually i like more the horror type, but this one made my day
  92. Dec 9, 2012
    With the help of Bradley Cooper and Jennifer Lawrence's best performances to date, a fantastically charming screenplay, and David O. Russell's substantial directorial prowess, "Silver Linings Playbook" easily soars above the conventional romantic comedy with its honesty.
  93. Feb 27, 2013
    All I know is that when I first watched this as opposed to the movie that did win the Oscar, I did not feel strongly that it didn't deserve Best Picture. The casting was great. The nut jobs were all entertaining. We can all lament the plot for its predictability but the title had silver lining in it, and they kept talking about negativity, so I'm glad they did not resort to shock value soAll I know is that when I first watched this as opposed to the movie that did win the Oscar, I did not feel strongly that it didn't deserve Best Picture. The casting was great. The nut jobs were all entertaining. We can all lament the plot for its predictability but the title had silver lining in it, and they kept talking about negativity, so I'm glad they did not resort to shock value so that the movie would come across as something it wasn't supposed to be. The acting and the references and jokes about Bipolar Disorder gave this movie a fresh face where it could simply have been a second rate movie about 'boy meets girl' with a little dancing at the side. The first half was stronger than the second one. Expand
  94. Jan 17, 2013
    "Silver Linings Playbook" avoids all the rom-com pitfalls and clichés, a breath of fresh air to a stigmatized genre I typically evade. It is an unconventional, quirky, amusing comedy drama about troubled people looking for love, and one the best romantic comedies in recent memory.
    After a stint in a mental institution, former teacher Pat Solitano (Bradley Cooper) moves back in with his parents, and tries to reconcile with his ex-wife (Brea Bee), who has a restraining order against him. Pat is curiously confident and upbeat despite this because he's determined to repair the damage he's done to his life and surprise everyone by moving onward and upward. Things get more challenging when Pat meets Tiffany (Jennifer Lawrence), a mysterious girl with problems of her own. Tiffany offers to help Pat reconnect with his wife, but only if he'll do something very important for her in return. As their deal plays out, an unexpected bond begins to form between them, and silver linings appear in both of their lives.
    The phenomenal performances by Bradley Cooper, Jennifer Lawrence, and Robert DeNiro is what makes this film work so well. In addition, terrific supporting roles by Chris Tucker who works his motor-mouth with some of the best lines in the film, while Jacki Weaver as Pat's mom brings a little touch as any mother character would toward the son.
    David O Russell's screenplay is fantastic in the way it requires both father and son to face and deal with their mental problems together, through the Philadelphia Eagles, and a dance contest none the less. Addressing serious life issues with grit and emotion, injected with a great dose of humor throughout. The writing is sharp, witty and insightful with great character development. "Silver Linings Playbook" is ultimately a beautiful film about being comfortable with oneself, and approaching life with a sense of optimism despite shortcomings and setbacks.
  95. Jan 27, 2013
    Fresh and original, Silver Linings Playbook is my favorite film of 2012! It's a family drama, a romantic comedy, and a touching story of people suffering from mental illness, but all the while it transcends all these genres making SLP a unique movie experience. Powerfully acted by its leads Jennifer Lawrence and Bradley Cooper who gives the best performance of his career, as well as theFresh and original, Silver Linings Playbook is my favorite film of 2012! It's a family drama, a romantic comedy, and a touching story of people suffering from mental illness, but all the while it transcends all these genres making SLP a unique movie experience. Powerfully acted by its leads Jennifer Lawrence and Bradley Cooper who gives the best performance of his career, as well as the supporting cast. Perfectly directed by David O Russel. Overall, just an amazing film that I absolutely loved. Expand
  96. Dec 5, 2012
    Bradley Cooper perfectly portrays a man struggling with his bi-polar disorder. He's warm and funny but also scary and delusional. The rest of the cast (including a revelatory performance by Jennifer Lawrence) is also terrific. The film captures the chaos and confusion of people dealing with mental issues well enough to forgive its neat Hollywood ending.
  97. Jun 19, 2013
    Heard this was a good movie from some friends whose judgement I trust, not to mention the critics loved it, so I had to see it. It did not disappoint. I found it to be strange at first, but that's done on purpose because this does follow some mentally... different people. Superb acting all around, particularly Bradley Cooper and Jennifer Lawrence who do a fantastic job of playing theirHeard this was a good movie from some friends whose judgement I trust, not to mention the critics loved it, so I had to see it. It did not disappoint. I found it to be strange at first, but that's done on purpose because this does follow some mentally... different people. Superb acting all around, particularly Bradley Cooper and Jennifer Lawrence who do a fantastic job of playing their characters. Funny, plenty of "oh no he/she didn't" moments, lots of conflict, heartwarming, and a feel-good movie by the end. Recommended! Expand
  98. Dec 8, 2012
    The best film I've seen this year; loved the story, Bradley Cooper and Jennifer Lawrence were perfect; the supporting cast was fantastic. Loved it!!

1. Reviewed by: David Denby
    Nov 26, 2012
    Pretty much a miscalculation from beginning to end. [26 Nov. 2012, p.87]
  2. Reviewed by: Peter Bradshaw
    Nov 25, 2012
    Likable, watchable and has a nice supporting turn from Robert De Niro; I'm not sure I wouldn't rather watch this again than the macho acting in Russell's boxing drama "The Fighter."
  3. Reviewed by: Marc Mohan
    Nov 23, 2012
    A funny, believable film about the ability of even the damaged and imperfect to earn a little happiness.