6.6

1. Dec 17, 2014
    Some great visuals and a lot of style... and that's pretty much it...

Bad dialogues, some terrible special effects and a movie that just drags on..

Not a good sequel,.. at all...
  2. Xon
    Dec 17, 2014
    The source material is weaker than the first, but the visual detail and cast more than make up for it.

Eva Green alone warrants this film to be in your collection and ultimately to be passed on to your kids and grand-kids and great-grant-kids.
  3. Dec 8, 2014
    This film lacks some of the story telling of the first, but with that said I still had a really good time. While no longer ground breaking the visuals are top notch and the best part of the film. B+
  4. Nov 22, 2014
    The sequel was not as great as the original was. I thought it would've been better than the first, let alone better than it was. Although it's not as good as you'd think, it's decent for Robert Rodriguez directing...
  5. Nov 21, 2014
    The good: The dame kill for story is probably the best of the three and feels like a sin city story, even though it goes on a little too long. The color palette and look of the film is pristine. The bad: Dialogue seems hackneyed and cheesy this time around. The voice over is well over used and doesn't have the impact of the original. The Ugly: The Nancy Callahan story at the end isThe good: The dame kill for story is probably the best of the three and feels like a sin city story, even though it goes on a little too long. The color palette and look of the film is pristine. The bad: Dialogue seems hackneyed and cheesy this time around. The voice over is well over used and doesn't have the impact of the original. The Ugly: The Nancy Callahan story at the end is just laughably bad. It s almost seems like self parody at times. MIller and Rodiguez seemed to get lazy including Marv as a hitman in each of the three stories. The movie just loses its punch by the end. There are also a ton of idiotic scenes where characters say things like "Hold still so I can blow your brains out." and then proceed to shoot them in the shoulder. Or a hangman's noose just appears out of nowhere. Expand
  6. Nov 11, 2014
    First one was much better. This was just average. While acting was good thew story was very lame and boring. I'm not a big fan of the style used either.
  7. Oct 28, 2014
    This is the second movie based off of Frank Millers Graphic novels of the same name. This movie still keeps that really stylish and mysterious feel the first movie had. But explains more about characters that they didn't touch down on much in the first movie. Some of them come out a lot more bad-ass in this film compared to the first. Sadly the story is a bit slower compared to the firstThis is the second movie based off of Frank Millers Graphic novels of the same name. This movie still keeps that really stylish and mysterious feel the first movie had. But explains more about characters that they didn't touch down on much in the first movie. Some of them come out a lot more bad-ass in this film compared to the first. Sadly the story is a bit slower compared to the first Sin City there isn't as much tension/suspense. The story in this one is similar to the first in that, It follows 3 different stories that intertwine at some point through the movie. That's where the movie looses at bit of it's "Pizzazz" and you get interested in one story line more then the others. But still if you enjoyed the first even a little or anything Frank Miller, check this movie out. Expand
  8. Oct 24, 2014
    I definitely preferred it to the first one but I didn’t think this was a particularly good movie and it definitely is not convincing me to go back to buying Frank Miller comics or even going in to the Sin City franchise. I will say I definitely came out of this film feeling a lot better than the previous one. Mainly because it is mercifully a lot shorter than the first one and this isI definitely preferred it to the first one but I didn’t think this was a particularly good movie and it definitely is not convincing me to go back to buying Frank Miller comics or even going in to the Sin City franchise. I will say I definitely came out of this film feeling a lot better than the previous one. Mainly because it is mercifully a lot shorter than the first one and this is definitely one of the films that makes me think 3D is worth going with. Though it still only manages to be a point above the other one and I still think there have been better films that have come out this year. Expand
  9. Oct 23, 2014
    Started off so badly that it made me want to stop watching and ended up being a pretty average movie. Nothing really stands out. The acting is average and the story wasn't any where near as satisfying either. I expected a heck of a lot better and I am very disappointed with it. Still, Not a terrible movie, simply disappointing.
  10. Oct 20, 2014
    Stunningly good to look at, maybe best watched with the sound off then. As for the plot/story of the movie was utter drivel and left me angry at the wasted talent who had enrolled to this follow up to the great Sin City movie.

Very, very poor overall and unfortunately not a title I would like to recommend.
  11. Oct 17, 2014
    While Sin City: A Dame to Kill For doesn't live up to the hype i had for it i still found the film to be enjoyable. I guess you can say that none of the four storylines the movie follows are all that great but they still each have there likable parts it just sucks that you don't actually feel satisfied by any of them. The violence in the movie was awesome and not as bad as what people madeWhile Sin City: A Dame to Kill For doesn't live up to the hype i had for it i still found the film to be enjoyable. I guess you can say that none of the four storylines the movie follows are all that great but they still each have there likable parts it just sucks that you don't actually feel satisfied by any of them. The violence in the movie was awesome and not as bad as what people made it out to be after reading reviews i was expecting some crazy stuff so i was kinda letdown when it wasn't also i was expecting the blood to really stand out and be blood red not white with the film also being in black & white so that also a letdown. Eva Green as Ava the dame to kill for is exactly that, a smoking hot women that has a powerful control over men and she uses that to get what she wants. Now i wasn't expecting her to naked as much as she was but its not like im complaining about it because im not but seriously i bet most her screen time was spend being naked. Rosario Dawson and all the other whores where awesome but none so more than Jamie Chung as Miho a kickass woman with a samurai sword that deals out a lot of the deaths you see in the movie. Now ill be honest and say that i was excited to see Jessica Alba stripper dance scene but yet again this was another part i was letdown with sure she does do it a couple times throughout the movie but its just like a tease until the end when she fully does it but even that felt like a tease i would have much rather seen Rosario Dawson do a sexy dance.

Now my biggest problem with the film was with the ending of Nancy's story and that the film itself i don't want to say what happens but when it happened i was like did they seriously just do that and that made the film leave a sour taste in my mouth afterwards.

Overall i give it a 7.0
  12. Oct 16, 2014
    Considering the unique style of this movie and how it is made very close knit with the graphic novels it comes from, initially, without any background on Frank Miller or the Sin City world, this just seems like a reckless opportunity to show sex/nudity and violence galore...of which it did. But, because of the style it stems from I still think it was entertaining and well done. TheseConsidering the unique style of this movie and how it is made very close knit with the graphic novels it comes from, initially, without any background on Frank Miller or the Sin City world, this just seems like a reckless opportunity to show sex/nudity and violence galore...of which it did. But, because of the style it stems from I still think it was entertaining and well done. These random strips of scenes are meant to simply plunge into the happenings of each character and to further characterize Sin City itself, not really to create a nice flowing stream of story line as was established in the first film. Although, on a scene to scene basis, the first Sin City was more disciplined and they were easier to connect to each other, which is why I don't give this one a great score. Definitely not a show for kids or even teens. And because every character is so important to the details of Sin City, to even try a movie like this you need the best actors available, with that they did well. Easily Jessica Alba's best performance and Joseph Gordon-levitt went above and beyond what I could have expected. Mickey Rourke's defining character once again, gotta love Marv. Wish there was more Bruce Willis though. Josh Brolin was solid but I really wish Clive could have come back...oh well. Eva Green is so lovely. I wouldn't be able to resist her, I'll be honest... The comic-to-movie attempts are often hit and miss, but Sin City claims a spot all its own far away from the good vs. evil superhero conflicts which are becoming very common these days. For that, they deserve props. Expand
  13. Oct 9, 2014
    What can you say about this. I was a huge fan of the 1st film but dear god, why wait 10 years for a sequel which is basically the same. The effects are identical, The script just seems dated and frankly a little ridiculous. I wanted to enjoy this film but It would have been great 8 years ago. There is just nothing new here to require a second viewing. It's still quite fun if you canWhat can you say about this. I was a huge fan of the 1st film but dear god, why wait 10 years for a sequel which is basically the same. The effects are identical, The script just seems dated and frankly a little ridiculous. I wanted to enjoy this film but It would have been great 8 years ago. There is just nothing new here to require a second viewing. It's still quite fun if you can somehow conjure a wormhole to take you back to 2003. Expand
  14. Oct 4, 2014
    I'm shocked this received bad reviews. IMHO this was a very well done sequel. The artwork, the writing, the acting was all great. It's not often that a sequel is as good as it's original counterpart.
  15. Oct 2, 2014
    Eva Green 10 out of 10, "A Dame To Kill For", yea right pull the other one. Emo Aguilera, NOOOOOO WTF. MIho looked goth over ninja, Gail's bumper looked massive.The only cool part in this movie was Levitt. The rest of it was in dire repetition. A ride to be watched, but that was it. Entirely Forgettable .
  16. Sep 29, 2014
    Sin CIty's sequel is divided in four stories about different characters, the first two are long and nice, stories that can characterize this different cliché action movie greatfully, but the latter two are very short and hollow, with fewer action scenes and inferior acting quality. Sin City: A Dame to Kill For can provide you some kind of nostalgia from the great Sin City, but nothing moreSin CIty's sequel is divided in four stories about different characters, the first two are long and nice, stories that can characterize this different cliché action movie greatfully, but the latter two are very short and hollow, with fewer action scenes and inferior acting quality. Sin City: A Dame to Kill For can provide you some kind of nostalgia from the great Sin City, but nothing more than that. Expand
  17. Sep 28, 2014
    The problem with Sin City is the movie never really resolves anything... it's just a cluster **** of confusion. Though I admit the movie has a tantalizing sense of style.
  18. R-E
    Sep 27, 2014
    Very good movie and great follow up to the original Sin City ;)
    I rate it with 9 from 10, because I expected more story lines, but it is not big deal.
  19. Sep 27, 2014
    It's easy to see why the second installment of Sin City didn't do so well. Marv's make up was a bit dodgy, especially at the beginning, Not sure about some of the casting choices. Jamie Chung should have been a better choice for Miho, but she was unsure in a most of her scenes. Eva green, again, sexy but not feminine enough (too goth) for Ava. Josh Brolin, at least, was good. Jeremy PivenIt's easy to see why the second installment of Sin City didn't do so well. Marv's make up was a bit dodgy, especially at the beginning, Not sure about some of the casting choices. Jamie Chung should have been a better choice for Miho, but she was unsure in a most of her scenes. Eva green, again, sexy but not feminine enough (too goth) for Ava. Josh Brolin, at least, was good. Jeremy Piven - good. A Dame To Kill For lacked a lot of the soul from the first movie. Improvements could have been made in too many areas for this film. That's why it gets a spectacular 'meh'. Expand
  20. Sep 25, 2014
    Review: I am going to break this review into four segments each containing the review for one "Comic"

Just Another Saturday Night: Shortest of the four. Enjoyable as it brings you back into Sin City, and introduces you to Marv. 7/10 The Long Bad Night: While enjoyable it didn't really have that much to it. It basically just showed how Rourke was a bad dude. Joseph Gordon Levitt's

The Long Bad Night: While enjoyable it didn't really have that much to it. It basically just showed how Rourke was a bad dude. Joseph Gordon Levitt's character was alright nothing that special. Biggest problem with this story is that is really doesn't go anywhere, but nonetheless it was entertaining to watch. 6/10

A Dame to Kill For: This story follows Dwight as he tries to maintain control of himself and things get a lot harder when his ex lover comes back into his life. This was in one word lame. It is the worst of the four stories and the main one too. The only redeeming quality it had was a fight at the end of it. Rest of it was uninteresting and boring. 3/10

Nancy's Last Dance: By far the best segment of the film. It follows Nancy Callahan 4 years after the events of the original Sin City movie, and it is really interesting to see her dealing with those events. This one really grabs your attention, and brings back what you loved about the first one. 9/10

Other Thoughts: Just as in the first one, the art style is very nice and visually stunning. It is something different and the acting is solid all around here. Doesn't get you emotionally into the story as the first one did. If you're a fan of the first one this is good watch and if your not you can skip this one.
  21. Sep 24, 2014
    Something I would like to say about this movie is that it didn't do as well as the first one but for me it was really enjoyable and had a really interesting story, although most of the movie was spent on one characters story (Which was kind of disappointing) it was overall an okay experience.
  22. Sep 22, 2014
    Great action , violent , that Comic Book feel , Film Noir and the black and white . The bad , annoying pole dancing , other than Brolin's character and story the rest needed more screen time . And yes , Eva Green stole the show again !
  23. Sep 21, 2014
    Whatever happened to Robert Rodriguez? Where's the guy who knew how to make cool, witty films? This movie is so bad it feels almost like he's making fun of himself. Many of the fight scenes are just hilarious, and not in a good way. Though incorporating comic-y special effects could've been nice, poor execution just ruined it all.
    And why the omnibus style? Don't they know how to weave
    And why the omnibus style? Don't they know how to weave several stories together? It's not like there are so many stories that it'd feel too complex if you put them all together; there are three stories if you're generous enough to count Joseph Gordon-Levitt's as a "story". What I also don't get is why they had to introduce all of the characters at once including those whose story doesn't appear for another hour.
    The writing is just so childish and superficial, which is ironical considering the film's "mature" look. The story is achingly one-dimensional, and the lines are so corny they could be used in a YA movie.
    To sum up, this movie is visually nice but that's about it. It's amusing at best (as in I laughed at the movie, not with it). The original Sin City worked because of a mixture of things, but the filmmakers seem to have forgotten it all and focused instead on whatever looked cool to them.
  24. Sep 11, 2014
    A clichéd tale wrapped up in an orgasmic screenplay!

A clichéd tale wrapped up in an orgasmic screenplay!

We have three parallel stories running through the movie. Marv has nothing much to do, so he basically pans out as an assist manifesting eye-popping, head-bursting, head-rolling, rule-breaking action, icing it with numerous gore bits(basically being himself). Dwight has visceral written all over him and the screenplay he grinds 'neath his teeth is sheer music to the ears. Ava surges in blue as the voluptuous dame who writes chaos into the lives of her lovers. One of the finest tales in the flick is that of Johnny, the guy who just cannot lose, played to perfection by the RegularJoe and boy can he act! Hartigan has been brilliantly placed at the right moments, his ghostly presence in the flick has been beautifully portrayed as he tries to justify his love contrasting Nancy's agonizing words. Roark is a sheer depiction of power once again as he eases through his villainous character drenched in perversion.

Always an honor to watch Frank Miller's art paint beauty on the big screen. Rodriguez keeps reminding you how subtle his style of direction is albeit sometimes you see loopholes whilst he drives you to a screen almost abruptly without giving a frame some rest. You can throw that over to editing as well. Overlooking that, the score is apt, the tale is passable for just another story of vengeance for a wrongdoing. Apart from the awesomeness of Levitt, Green and Brolin, it doesn't have much to offer!
  25. chw
    Sep 10, 2014
    I honestly have to say "**** you, critics!", because I almost considered not seeing this movie because of their unwise decisions rating this a 45/100.
  26. Sep 9, 2014
    Bare **** and waggling ass, I couldn't believe I watched this on cinema. Sin City: A Dame to Kill For is a series of several short stories that loosely correlates the characters. Just like the prequel, the movie is almost completely in black and white, excluding some notable details. This noir comic inspired look director Frank Miller's signature look is undoubtedly unique. The stars areBare **** and waggling ass, I couldn't believe I watched this on cinema. Sin City: A Dame to Kill For is a series of several short stories that loosely correlates the characters. Just like the prequel, the movie is almost completely in black and white, excluding some notable details. This noir comic inspired look director Frank Miller's signature look is undoubtedly unique. The stars are aplenty as well, however the movie unfortunately ends up being corny, ludicrous and hackneyed. It strikingly resembles 300 : Rise of An Empire, in which there's more sex and less content in a sequel.

The story is done in old fashion crime thriller style, and it’s mostly a continuation of the first Sin City. The long gap between the movies could alienate some viewers as some of the plot or characters may not be familiar to them. Regardless of the interval time, stories from this movie are not nearly as engaging. The culmination is a rather boring stroll through the city as characters come and go, but none of them brings any appeal aside from flashes of **** or **** wrapped in leather strip. This is odd since the cast consists of great actors and actresses.

With Josh Brolin, Jessica Alba, Mickey Roarke and lots of others talent, this should be a captivating tale of a corrupt city. Yet, each story appears pointless. It’s hard pressed not to wish for it to conclude and for the next one to begin only to be disappointed with the same bland effort. Characters don’t stay long enough to make an impact, don’t have any attraction or simply underutilized. Script is highly stylized with everyone narrating like they are writing a novel while fighting and bleeding, what leisure time they have. It’s not entirely bad, but sometimes it becomes redundant and some of it can be easily translated to more visual performance considering the acting prowess of the cast.

Graphic is exceptionally distinctive with deep focus on lighting and shadow contrast. It tries to bring the comic root, although at some scenes it just looks awkwardly unreal. Action is really silly, it reminds me of classic action or current Bollywood movie where the hero is suspended in mid-air while shooting. Decapitation and dismemberment are the norm, as well as display of unclothed bodies, and to the movie’s credit, these are quite exquisite bodies, so the Mature rating is indeed adequately deserved.

Aside from the blood, gore, and nudity, there’s not much to Sin Cite: A Dame to Kill For. The plots are uninspiringly bland, but it does present more than one voluptuous dame. It’s an utter hot mess… a mess nonetheless.
  27. Sep 6, 2014
    The story's focus is a little wobbly and disconnected from where the heart shines in Sin City. Despite not sharing the strength and power of the first one, A Dame To Kill For rises on occasion. We see great performances from the entire cast, but the movie quaintly only ever picks up when Nancy becomes the focus. Nancy, dam.
  28. Sep 6, 2014
    All style no substance. The film looked great but thats really were it ends. The story is EXACTLY the same in each chapter just as the first one. Characters are all dull and have nothing interesting to say and we learn nothing more about Basin City itself. It was just an exercise in excess, showing how much action they can but in each story. Eva Green is the only slightly redeemingAll style no substance. The film looked great but thats really were it ends. The story is EXACTLY the same in each chapter just as the first one. Characters are all dull and have nothing interesting to say and we learn nothing more about Basin City itself. It was just an exercise in excess, showing how much action they can but in each story. Eva Green is the only slightly redeeming feature.I would have thought that after ten years an actually story would have been brought to the table instead you just get three characters which are butthurt and need to kill. Whilst this is going on its just uninteresting mumblings over the top. Really poor effort considering the time they had. It gets a three purely based on its looks but that doesn't get you very far Expand
  29. Sep 5, 2014
    Great characters. Great style. Great visuals. Tonnes of stylish ultra-violence that we loved in the first Sin City. Unfortunately let down completely by lack of a coherent plot. Sure, some stuff was going on, but it all felt a bit random. More like a dozen vaguely related events than an actual storythread. A massive shame, as the first was so good. They waited 9 years to release somethingGreat characters. Great style. Great visuals. Tonnes of stylish ultra-violence that we loved in the first Sin City. Unfortunately let down completely by lack of a coherent plot. Sure, some stuff was going on, but it all felt a bit random. More like a dozen vaguely related events than an actual storythread. A massive shame, as the first was so good. They waited 9 years to release something mediocre. Unbelievable. Expand
  30. Sep 2, 2014
    This 2nd film adaptation of Frank Miller’s graphic novels is all about the style. The stories are set in an ultra film noir world of tough guys and hot femmes. It's mostly black and white with pops of color (usually for the women). Three basic stories play out: doomed love, hateful pride and bitter revenge. The stylized violence and illustrative visuals make for dramatic images. EvenThis 2nd film adaptation of Frank Miller’s graphic novels is all about the style. The stories are set in an ultra film noir world of tough guys and hot femmes. It's mostly black and white with pops of color (usually for the women). Three basic stories play out: doomed love, hateful pride and bitter revenge. The stylized violence and illustrative visuals make for dramatic images. Even though it goes on a bit too long, director Robert Rodriguez has created a rich, moody place. Expand
  31. Aug 31, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Great movie with lots of action and story though it jumps around the 3 main stories a bit too inconsistently. The ending could have been much better and longer by few minutes instead of just ending on a stupid bang. As if they didn't want to show us more gore for some reason. Expand
  32. Aug 29, 2014
    I think it's pretty funny that people have such strong negative views about this film, what were you expecting? The REAL reality is that A Dame To Kill For is just as air-headed as it's predecessor and about as much fun.

No, I don't think it's as good as the first film; the stories don't have quite the same narrative force or cohesion and the novelty value of Sin City's hyper-real storytelling is now absent, so we all know what to expect. Consequently the film doesn't really surprise in any way, the dialogue doesn't crackle quite as nicely this time round either, but the truth is that it delivers nice-looking and brainless entertainment and does it efficiently. The chances are that if you liked the first one you'll probably like this too. To those who think it's the "worst movie ever", I'm sorry but I think we all know that's utter **** Don't make me laugh.

6.4/10
  33. Aug 28, 2014
    This movie has been my most anticipated film for a very long time, I am a huge fan of the 2005 original for being so unique and the art direction took by Rodriguez and Miller. I admire Rodriguez for making the films shot for shot identical to their corresponding stories from the comic book series. The fact that Josh Brolin and Joseph Gordon Levitt starring in the sequel just made it evenThis movie has been my most anticipated film for a very long time, I am a huge fan of the 2005 original for being so unique and the art direction took by Rodriguez and Miller. I admire Rodriguez for making the films shot for shot identical to their corresponding stories from the comic book series. The fact that Josh Brolin and Joseph Gordon Levitt starring in the sequel just made it even sweeter. It must be said as well that Mickey Rourke IS a badass as Marv once again and Eva Green gives a stunning performance as the manipulative femme fatale Ava Lorde. The story is made up of four stories. Two from the comic books and two original stories written for the film by Frank Miller. I found them all very enjoyable and the opening story, Just Another Saturday Night brilliantly set the tone for the film; very gritty storytelling and violence with a touch of humour from time to time. The majority of the cast give flawless performances ranging from Joseph Gordon Levitt's cocky gambler character to Josh Brolin's Dwight struggling with his past. Jessica Alba is the only weak link as expected but still gives a respectable performance as Nancy Callaghan. I only wish that Michael Clarke Duncan could have returned as Manute if he were still with us but Dennis Haysbert more than makes up for his absense and Jaime Chung is a sufficient replacement for Devon Aoki, and of course Clive Owen is absent as well due to the story taking place before Dwight has his face changed.

In closing, A Dame to Kill For may not be for everyone because of it's over the top violence and style of storytelling but a large amount of people should find the movie enjoyable including the fans of the original. Please go see this so that there may be a possibility of a third in the future even if it takes another nine years.
  34. Aug 28, 2014
    This is one of the most beautiful movies that i will forever hate - The 3D effects in this film, especially in the beginning were excellent, at times it felt like augmented reality. Jessica Alba did a great job in bring Nancy to life it was like seeing the dance that you never saw in Sucker Punch - that's where it ends.

The rest of the movie basically the story was boring, slow, flat,

The rest of the movie basically the story was boring, slow, flat, and in some ways insulting to your intelligence. Why would Miller or Rodriguez ever think this film was worthy to present to their fans is beyond me I really thought they would have done better - If you want to see some cool 3D then go see it at the theater - but if you don't really care about 3D then wait for DVD or a Free night on VOD your not missing anything. http://scannerdrome.com/sdpodcast/
  35. Aug 27, 2014
    While it's nowhere near as good as the first film, it still manages to be an entertaining and fun ride while it lasts. The ensemble cast does well. The story and narrative, however, felt a bit clumsy at times. This one felt like it was all over the place at times a lot more than the first film did. I was also disappointed that it was and felt a lot shorter and rushed than the first film.While it's nowhere near as good as the first film, it still manages to be an entertaining and fun ride while it lasts. The ensemble cast does well. The story and narrative, however, felt a bit clumsy at times. This one felt like it was all over the place at times a lot more than the first film did. I was also disappointed that it was and felt a lot shorter and rushed than the first film. Overall, it's still a very entertaining sequel, but leaves much to be desired, especially after waiting for it for over nine years. Expand
  36. Aug 27, 2014
    i think this movie is great! My favorite thing about it was the art style, i think it's just a really cool movie and that the story along with the action worked very well together, although a little bit corny at times. The only thing i would say that might turn viewers off of this movie is that it really ties with the first movie, and if you haven't seen the first one then you might findi think this movie is great! My favorite thing about it was the art style, i think it's just a really cool movie and that the story along with the action worked very well together, although a little bit corny at times. The only thing i would say that might turn viewers off of this movie is that it really ties with the first movie, and if you haven't seen the first one then you might find yourself being a little bit lost in this one. Expand
  37. Aug 26, 2014
    This movie was not as intelligent as the first one, but it was more exciting and the special effects were an improvement over the first one. It deserved a better critical reception and it also doesn't deserve to be a box office bomb. Eva Green was incredible and so was Jessica Alba. Marv was great as always, although he was dumbed down compared to the first Sin City. Josh Brolin was goodThis movie was not as intelligent as the first one, but it was more exciting and the special effects were an improvement over the first one. It deserved a better critical reception and it also doesn't deserve to be a box office bomb. Eva Green was incredible and so was Jessica Alba. Marv was great as always, although he was dumbed down compared to the first Sin City. Josh Brolin was good too, although not as good as Clive Owen was in the first Sin City. If Clive Owen had been in this one too, this movie would have been amazing. Powers Boothe was excellent.

In summary, I was very satisfied with this sequel. It did some things worse than its predecessor but some things were improved. Overall I would say it was just as good as the first Sin City and I hope they can somehow make another sequel despite this one's poor box office performance.
  38. Aug 25, 2014
    I know sequels are often an exercise in disappointment, but even my low set of demands and expectations was let down in this sequel. You will get literally nothing but sex and violence. I realize that must sound like a no brainer for anyone who got to witness the first movie, but trust me when I say finer qualities from the first movie are absent, even it's fine cast could not save it fromI know sequels are often an exercise in disappointment, but even my low set of demands and expectations was let down in this sequel. You will get literally nothing but sex and violence. I realize that must sound like a no brainer for anyone who got to witness the first movie, but trust me when I say finer qualities from the first movie are absent, even it's fine cast could not save it from being a sloppy mess completely absent of storytelling. Expand
  39. Aug 25, 2014
    The critical reviews written by professional critics seem to lean too heavily on whatever is trendy and popular at the time. This movie is a very acceptable, well done sequel to the original and anyone who lets a bunch of strangers dictate what they should or should not see is a very gullible and easily manipulated person.
  40. Aug 25, 2014
    This sequel has all the elements to become a future cult film, giving a great and perfect exercise of styles in such adaptations , and Eva Green as the villain of the title is unsurpassed !!
  41. Aug 25, 2014
    If you only care about visuals than this will be a good movie for you. If you care about anything else this movie will be awful. It has nothing going for it besides that single achievement. Friends wanted to leave the theater in the middle. The movie was so boring that I actually didn't mind the people around who pulled out their smartphones.
  42. Aug 25, 2014
    If you're a fan of the first film then you will find much to love. This trip back to memory lane may be convoluted compared to its predecessor, but still contains the same punch you'd come to expect.
  43. Aug 25, 2014
    If you weren't a fan of the original Sin City, you won't like this one either. If you were a fan you may come off a bit disappointed. As a sequel there is more unnecessary gore, nudity, and over the top "graphic novel" style. Unfortunately this came at the expense of things like "heart" and "cohesive storytelling." The story of Nancy (played by Jessica Alba) coming unhinged is the closestIf you weren't a fan of the original Sin City, you won't like this one either. If you were a fan you may come off a bit disappointed. As a sequel there is more unnecessary gore, nudity, and over the top "graphic novel" style. Unfortunately this came at the expense of things like "heart" and "cohesive storytelling." The story of Nancy (played by Jessica Alba) coming unhinged is the closest the story comes to having a sympathetic character. There were some interesting cinematic flourishes but in general they were under-done or poorly utilized.
    Perhaps if they'd tried to tell fewer stories we as an audience would have gotten more invested in them. Or maybe if the stories were tied together in some meaningful way instead of being seemingly random. Instead we get a story so focused on its neo-noir world that the characters end up flat. I wanted to root for Joseph Gordon-Levitt as the mysterious gambler, but his character was so generic that when (Big spoiler omitted) happened I had no sympathy for him at all. It seemed the logical outcome.
    All in all this film is an alright flick. Certainly there is much worse out there.
  44. Aug 24, 2014
    Sin City A Dame to Kill For is fabulous , this film goes beyond its prequel,providing fresh air to the franchise, thanks to a detailed photograph and Eva Green Luxury !
  45. Aug 24, 2014
    I great follow up to a perfect comic book movie adaption. "Sin City" is one of my favorite movies of all time because it recaptured the comics that I love so very much. I have read all 8 volumes of Sin City and this was like opening up a whole new book because about 60% of the movie is new material. The only adapted storyline is "A Dame to Kill For" and it followed its source materialI great follow up to a perfect comic book movie adaption. "Sin City" is one of my favorite movies of all time because it recaptured the comics that I love so very much. I have read all 8 volumes of Sin City and this was like opening up a whole new book because about 60% of the movie is new material. The only adapted storyline is "A Dame to Kill For" and it followed its source material swimmingly. This has a master class if actors, the standouts are JGL, Eva Green, Mickey Rourke and Powers Booth. Jessica Alba is at her best which is still only okay. Josh Brolin kicks ass as per usual. People complain about the continuity and that this movie is to over the top and gratuitous in every fashion but the fact is is that this is a comic book movie that embraces what it is and takes its Neo-Noir storytelling all the way. Its fun, its bloody, its sexy and its soooooo bad-ass. If liked the comics and the first film you'll love this.

Also The Hateful Eight teaser was beautiful.

Score: 10 out of 10
    Dimension Films, 102 min. Rated R
  46. Aug 24, 2014
    I just don't get reviewers that profess to have LOVED the first one and can't STAND this one. Either they totally didn't get the first one, or they need their antidepressants adjusted. "A Dame to Kill For" is as much of a balls-out homage/pastiche of hard-boiled pulp fiction and film noir as the first one. Are they different? Sure. Is one better than the other? In my opinion, no. All II just don't get reviewers that profess to have LOVED the first one and can't STAND this one. Either they totally didn't get the first one, or they need their antidepressants adjusted. "A Dame to Kill For" is as much of a balls-out homage/pastiche of hard-boiled pulp fiction and film noir as the first one. Are they different? Sure. Is one better than the other? In my opinion, no. All I know is I watched both films with utter enjoyment, a stupid grin on my face half the time. And it's the best use of 3D I've ever seen. Truly. And I've seen a LOT of 3D movies. Watching smoke wrap through the air around Eva Green's body, or cards sail across a table into the audience, or Mickey Rourke smashing through a fence on a motorcycle, laughing like a maniac -- every frame is gorgeous. And for a medium based on moving frames of film creating the illusion of life, that has to count for something. Expand
  47. Aug 24, 2014
    Better late then never, right?

Better late then never, right?

Well, maybe not. Sin City 2 isn't a bad movie by any stretch (although some will argue that) but it just leaves kind of an empty feeling for those who loved the first one. I mean, you still get the violence, you still get the lines, you still get that "noir-ishness" that made you love the first one. Despite all of that, there just seems to be an overlying feeling of "why didn't I like this more?"
  48. Aug 24, 2014
    If you want to see Eva Green **** throughout a movie in Black & White, then this is your MOVIE "Sin City 2"!!! Other then that if your a fan of the first Sin City, prepare to be very very disappointed and be out of $7 bucks and 2 hours of your LIFE!!! Because it's that KIND OF BAD and not the BAD in a GOOD WAY!!!

Oh where to begin??? First off, I don't think Frank Miller really had a

Oh where to begin??? First off, I don't think Frank Miller really had a concept for this sequel, other then having him self inserted into mult - roles throughout this movie like he's Stan Lee clones of clones in a Marvel Movie about the Clones of Stan Lee cameo roles!!!

As, CONTINUITY must be a word not used by Frank Miller or not familiar with i e, such as actors not reprising their same roles from the original Devon Aoki as Miho, Clive Owen as Dwight and I can not count Michael Clarke Duncan (May he R.I.P) as Manute but his character did get killed during the final shootout in "Old Town" in the first Sin City because they couldn't leave any survivors??? Right??? But leave it to that All State Guy to stay the day! NOT!!!

And that's the thing about this movie, on one hand it wants to be a continuation from the first Sin City but also at the time not be!!! Such by adding non related material to the movie; Joseph Gordon-Levitt character "Johnny" who whole story arc had literally nothing to do with nothing with the movie but at the same time let's show Nancy Callahan going thru a deep state of depression over the death of Hartigan but then at the same time with no separation of the storyline throw in the back story of Dwight getting his face change episode!!!

And I did I mention Jaime King plays both Goldie / Wendy on screen at the same time, knowing that Goldie was killed in the beginning of the first Sin City!!! WTF!!?!??! I mean, if your going to use character cameos from the first Sin City, then why not used Alexis Bledel as Becky, Benicio Del Toro as Jackie Boy or how about bringing back Josh Hartnett as The Man to explain his story arc to how he knew Becky in the final elevator scene then Johnny!!!

No No No, must have said Frank Miller to that idea because that would have taken too much time being that it's been 10 years between movies to make this PIECE OF **** SIN CITY 2!!!!

And for this Frank Miller, I say to YOU: STOP MAKING SEQUELS TO MOVIES THAT DO NOT NEED ONE!!! STOP RUINING MY MEMORIES OF SOME OF FAVORITE MOVIES THAT I HAVE COME TO LOVE IN SIN CITY AND 300!!! YOU NEED TO STOP DOING THIS TO YOUR REMAINING FANS!!! WAS NOT THE SPIRIT ENOUGH DAMAGE TO YOUR BRAND NAME???

End of Line
  49. Aug 23, 2014
    If you like endless, rambling, insipid internal dialog, then this is your movie. If you like characters who are completely irrational, then this is your movie. If you like... I don't know... white blood? Then this is your movie.

There are plenty of scenes where we get to see Eva Green nude. As enjoyable as that is, it's definitely not enough to save the movie. So skip this one. It is truly terrible.
  50. Aug 23, 2014
    This movie is so bad I made an account just to say how bad this movie is. I want people to read this review and then not go see the movie. The people who made this movie need to be punished for stealing 2 hours of my life away from me. No one should have to pay to be stolen from. People on the internet, and the media, like to throw around the words, Hitler, and Nazi, so much so that itThis movie is so bad I made an account just to say how bad this movie is. I want people to read this review and then not go see the movie. The people who made this movie need to be punished for stealing 2 hours of my life away from me. No one should have to pay to be stolen from. People on the internet, and the media, like to throw around the words, Hitler, and Nazi, so much so that it almost loses all meaning, as they try to apply it to trivialities. Now, it finally applies, the makers of this movie are Nazis, and Frank Miller is Hitler. Expand
  51. Aug 23, 2014
    Unlike the original Sin City, which I did enjoy, Dame To Kill For fails to interweave the various story lines into a coherent plot. The film tries to build a moody, gritty, noir feel, at the expense of building any sensibility into the characters or sympathy for their various plights. The justifications for the action sequences are ham fisted into place, and the visuals are at timesUnlike the original Sin City, which I did enjoy, Dame To Kill For fails to interweave the various story lines into a coherent plot. The film tries to build a moody, gritty, noir feel, at the expense of building any sensibility into the characters or sympathy for their various plights. The justifications for the action sequences are ham fisted into place, and the visuals are at times laughably out of place, rather than stylistically atmospheric. Dramatic moments were made laughable by the lack of subtly, light hearted moments passed virtually unnoticed. By far the worst movie I’ve seen in some time, first movie I ever considered walking out of, I wish I had. Expand
  52. Aug 23, 2014
    Sin City: A Dame To Kill For is a bone crunching, sexy and stylized trip back to basics. The audience who watched Sin City (including me) are introduced to some new characters. Such as Johnny played by Joseph Gordon Levitt, a boy with luck while playing cards. Jamie King was very surprising as Wendy, they didn't talk much about her in the previous film. Well, Dame To Kill For starts upSin City: A Dame To Kill For is a bone crunching, sexy and stylized trip back to basics. The audience who watched Sin City (including me) are introduced to some new characters. Such as Johnny played by Joseph Gordon Levitt, a boy with luck while playing cards. Jamie King was very surprising as Wendy, they didn't talk much about her in the previous film. Well, Dame To Kill For starts up with Dwight played by Josh Brolin (first it was Clive Owen), he now has a changed up face using a surgery. Dwight now looks for revenge from the evil and sexy Ava played by Eva Green. The film had a Interesting path with the Nancy Hartigan story, but they didn't use Bruce Willis as much. He was just there for 3 minutes as a dream in Nancy's mind! Mickey Rourke plays Marv, a demented killer who helps Dwight in his goal. Overall, A Dame To Kill For is a badass movie. It has a great art style, pumping action but some of it slows down and drags you toward the climax. But it's a great watch, that doesn't top the original, but is really fun to watch. Even If you are not the comic's fan. Expand
  53. Aug 23, 2014
    It only took nine years to get this sequel made, but Robert Rodriguez mostly succeeds. The film is ultra violent (Pleasingly so) and stylish however, it is not nearly as fresh and exciting as it was nine years ago. The actors do what they can and notable stand outs include Eva Green, Mickey Rourke, Joseph Gordon Levitt, and Josh Brolin as the recast Dwight. It is a good time spent at theIt only took nine years to get this sequel made, but Robert Rodriguez mostly succeeds. The film is ultra violent (Pleasingly so) and stylish however, it is not nearly as fresh and exciting as it was nine years ago. The actors do what they can and notable stand outs include Eva Green, Mickey Rourke, Joseph Gordon Levitt, and Josh Brolin as the recast Dwight. It is a good time spent at the movies and it does not run too long at 102 minutes. This film is not going to revolutionize film making, but if you like the characters from the original and are interested in what came before or after the events of the first film you won't regret giving this movie a shot this weekend. Expand
  54. Aug 22, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Not nearly as good as the first one,its like they tried to hard.Acting seemed mediocre at times.If you loved the first one as i did this one might be a real let down for you,the only thing that i enjoyed was the explosion and some violence other than that its disappointing,And even having Eva green nude most of the movie isn't really a wow factor.The 3D aspect makes it a bit better but doesn't the movie make the movie worth it overall. Expand
  55. Aug 22, 2014
    A return trip to Sin City worth taking, provided you enjoyed the first one. It loses some of the surprises and freshness the first had because you know what to expect from the tone and content this time, but the stories keep things great. It's dark world and beautiful visuals that look like they were pulled straight out of a comic book means that fans won't be disappointed.

Josh Brolin

Josh Brolin does a great job as Dwight before the face-change surgery. Doesn't do quite as good as Clive Owen did, and he makes the character feel different than before, but still great. However it might be hard to notice as he gets overshadowed by the fantastic Eva Green. She nails her character bringing all the sex appeal and manipulative qualities required. Surprisingly I do feel she's naked too much. There are scenes where it makes sense for her to be naked, and she's got a great body so I'm not complaining about the view, but often more than a few of the nude scenes feel thrown in for fan-service. She's still great though.

I'm amazed to say there's actually someone who steals the show from Green for once, and that's Joseph Gordon-Levitt. He's excellent as always and his plot was my favorite in the movie. If someone could and was going to steal the show from Green it would've been him, and he does despite her bare TNA and excellent performance. It's also great to see Mickey Rourke back as Marv even if his character just ends up playing sidekick to the others when they need some skulls busted. It still leads to some excellent violence though.

Getting to see Alba's "Nancy" more involved in the action is also a surprising treat, although her plot does throw a few kinks in the timeline. I guess her facial scars just healed before Marv's plot in the first movie, which her plot in this one takes place before of. Still fun though.

All around it's just another awesome Sin City movie. Not quite true noir, but takes enough cues from the genre in order to feel unique. Because of that we get some awesome narration. If you liked the first Sin City then you should like this. I don't see why you wouldn't, even if you don't see it as just as good. For me it was another unforgettable, awesome, dark, and blood-soaked trip back to the dark streets, and I loved every second of it.
  56. Aug 22, 2014
    This movie was AWESOME! Everything that I expected and more. It was a great follow up to the first Sin City. Either the people leaving bad reviews have not actually seen the movie, or they are not fans of Robert Rodriguez or comic books in general. This is the ONLY movie series out that is made to look and feel exactly like you are reading a comic. Everything about the movie has theThis movie was AWESOME! Everything that I expected and more. It was a great follow up to the first Sin City. Either the people leaving bad reviews have not actually seen the movie, or they are not fans of Robert Rodriguez or comic books in general. This is the ONLY movie series out that is made to look and feel exactly like you are reading a comic. Everything about the movie has the comic book feel. The acting is spot on, the visual & special effects were beautiful to the eye. I could not look away. I have been waiting almost 10 years for this movie and I was not disappointed. If you are not a Robert Rodriguez fan and don't like comic books, this movie is not for you. For me, I would see it again and again. Now the wait begins for the Blu Ray Steelbook Collector's Edition. I can't wait!! Expand
  57. Aug 22, 2014
    The best thing about “Frank Miller’s Sin City: A Dame To Kill For”, AKA Sin City 2, was that I got in for free, plus got a free popcorn and a free soda, all courtesy of The Gateway Theatre Loyalty Card.

I had not seen the first “Sin City” so I was intrigued for about a half hour by the sparse use of standout color in what is basically a black and white film noir of the 1940s and 1950s shown as a combination of live, digital, comic book, pulp fiction and graphic novels. After the novelty of a slash of bright red across the lips of a black and while character wears off there was a little interest in the name of the actresses playing the female roles as most of the men are more ‘seasoned’ veterans, and recognizable, though even here one or two have face but not name recognition.

Anyone familiar with the old movies, or books, like those featuring Mickey Spillane’s Mike Hammer or Dashiell Hammett’s Sam Spade or casts with Humphrey Bogart, Ida Lupino, Barbara Stanwyck, Lana Turner, Veronica Lake, Victor Mature, etc. will find their counterparts in Sin City 2. Every man is hard boiled and every woman a femme fatale. The main difference between this film and the old films are the amount of violence perpetrated not only by the men but more so by the women.

Written and directed by Robert Rodriguez and Frank Miller I would love to know which one has the eyeball fetish! The production design by Steve Joyner and Caylah Eddleblute is outstanding as are all the other production assets such as costumes, hair and make up.

With a cast including Eva Green, Jessica Alba, Bruce Willis, Powers Booth, Mickey Rourke (almost unrecognizable ), Josh Brolin, Rosario Dawson, Stacy Keach, Jaime King, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Ray Liotta, just to name a few, plus a cameo by Lady Gaga, keeping track of who is who and trying to remember their real names will keep your mind off of the screenplay that is not at all original in any aspect of film making.

There is almost as much nudity, frontal and rear, by both males and females, though there is a sense modestly, as there is violence. Killings are by guns, arrows, knives, hands, feet, cars, etc., all graphic and far from modest.

The best/only way to see this movie is with a free ticket, a free popcorn and a free soda.
  58. Aug 22, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. "I can't remember how I got here" You might be saying the same thing by the end of this movie.
    Two things: Director knows his audience and that audience is mostly men. Like 95% men.
    Anyway this is kinda like if you took all the color out of a gangster movie, added in some nudity, a pinch of mystery and a dash of magic. I guess that's what these comic book movies are all about anyway.
    Eva Green is nude for about a good quarter of the movie (so, if you're into it, I guess it's worth the money) and Bruce Willis makes a solid return as well.
    Joseph Gordon-Levitt also plays a smaller role (his character might warrant a whole movie) as does Jessica Alba.
    You could tell this was based on a comic book, with separate acts and focus points, with one-liners and crazy metaphors strewn about.
    In summary, makes for a good guy's guy movie, but not much else. No real substance to plot, just a continuation of the first really. Rent on Redbox or Netflix when it comes out. Unless you liked the first one.
  59. Aug 22, 2014
    Warning, poor English ahead.

Being a huge fan of both the original movie and the graphic novels, my expectations for this belated sequel were pretty high, even though all the cast changes and a bunch of not-so-great trailers didn't really paint a very hopeful picture. Long story short, Sin City 2 ended up being the first movie I ever walked out on. The distinctive visual style and
    Warning, poor English ahead.

Long story short, Sin City 2 ended up being the first movie I ever walked out on. The distinctive visual style and excessive gore is there, too bad not much else is

First off, central 'towering' characters like Marv (Rourke) or Manute this time around look surprisingly unintimidating & unimpressive at best or just plain ridiculous for the most of the movie.
    And since they both on screen for the good half of the movie time it made it that much more difficult to take anything seriously.

The writing has taken a nosedive in quality too and you can really feel it during the newly added story segments by Miller (who somehow managed to write himself into the movie as 3 different characters just for the f**k of it) , especially the whole 'Nancy (J. Alba) turning super saiyan' story line and especially the cringeworthy final act.

Talking about the good parts of the movie, Brolin turned in a really great and stand out performance as pre-op Dwight, even though the opportuinity to bring back Clive Owen (who played the same character in the previous movie) was missed as they decided to just throw in a wig on Brolin's bold head to somehow justify the character's full face surgery and called it a day. The same can be said about the main villain of the movie - senator Roark (played by Powers Boothe) who's as menacing and power-crazed as ever.

If fapping for 40 minutes on Eva Green's prominent body parts is not your sole reason behind watching this sequel, I highly suggest you saving yourself a trip to the movie theater. Otherwise, you are setting yourself up for a one tedious, occasionally painfully bad and ultimately disappointing 90 minute experience.

1. Reviewed by: Mike McCahill
    Sep 22, 2014
    The weakness is in the material: these are second-string Miller yarns... But the vision remains uncompromising and it dazzles far more than any sequel should.
  2. Reviewed by: Richard Corliss
    Aug 25, 2014
    Gaudily entertaining, occasionally wearying sequel.
  3. Reviewed by: Nathan Rabin
    Aug 22, 2014
    It’s so egregiously awful, so utterly without merit, that it makes its predecessor seem much worse by association. The film’s brainless, chest-beating brand of hyper-pulp calls into question whether Sin City was any good at all, or whether the novelty of its visuals and storytelling merely masked a howling nothingness at its core.