8.0

1. Aug 25, 2014
    Expected so much more from this one. Sin City starts out intriguing, but in the middle gets so terrible I had to actually fast forward through parts of it and fight the urge to press stop and quit watching it. The problem, obviously, is not with the graphic presentation - it's stylish and sometimes very gory. Also gotta take note of the female cast - Jessica Alba is adorable, and othersExpected so much more from this one. Sin City starts out intriguing, but in the middle gets so terrible I had to actually fast forward through parts of it and fight the urge to press stop and quit watching it. The problem, obviously, is not with the graphic presentation - it's stylish and sometimes very gory. Also gotta take note of the female cast - Jessica Alba is adorable, and others (especially Carla Gugino, to my surprise) are outright hot. (Boobs included) But a movie isn't all about its presentation (and boobs), it's also very much about the plot, and it's pretty damn awful here. The main problem are the characters and the overall goofy comicbook crap that it's based on. Mickey Rourke's ugly-as- **** character throwing people like he's superpowered, Clive Owen jumping down buildings, creepy cannibalistic Elijah Wood, people surviving totally grave wounds and some ugly disgusting yellow freak are ridiculous and just plain stupid.
    It is impossible not to see how hard this tries to be "noir". with all the black-and-white colouring, constant rain or snow and neverending inner monologues. But it tries too hard, not achieving much. What the movie lacks is a good source to be based on - maybe some detective novel, some real literature, not this comic book junk from Mr. Miller, who can hardly be called a writer.
    Only good thing is that now I know that I'm in no way spending money on a cinema ticket to the Dame to Kill For, despite its boob-cast now including Eva Green.
  2. Dec 19, 2011
    While the film does start out interesting, It gets pretty old and boring the further you get into it. Also the stories are rather stupid and pretty generic, They lack interest as well. Also the acting is well below what I expected from the star studded cast. It looks good but thats about it.
  3. SteveB.
    Oct 1, 2005
    I expected to see alot more from this movie, really i expected the best but it didn't deliver. It's hard to rate cause the movies 3 storys in one. The frist one was like having a open hart surgery and the last one was not much better. The second one was actully prity frigen good, the the hole movie was just and extened vertion of the second story I may have given it a 8 or 9. I expected to see alot more from this movie, really i expected the best but it didn't deliver. It's hard to rate cause the movies 3 storys in one. The frist one was like having a open hart surgery and the last one was not much better. The second one was actully prity frigen good, the the hole movie was just and extened vertion of the second story I may have given it a 8 or 9. The worst thing was the Narration, the main chariture narrarates his own story. Which sounds cool but then you find out they all sound like Sam Spade and have cheesy diologe. Oh and the gore was enofe to make Jason from Friday the 13th sick. If they had cut back on the crudy narration and gore it would have been grate, but these 2 things murdered the film. Expand
  4. DavidK
    Apr 7, 2005
    The filming technique is awesome! The movie should be rated NC-17 (how it ever got an "R" rating is amazing). However, I am deeply concerned with the reviews and user ratings. Have the moral values of America actually dropped this low. The movie is a basic rape of your mind. Total / relentless violence and sex for 2 hours. The implication of raping an 11 year old girl - I was stunned, The filming technique is awesome! The movie should be rated NC-17 (how it ever got an "R" rating is amazing). However, I am deeply concerned with the reviews and user ratings. Have the moral values of America actually dropped this low. The movie is a basic rape of your mind. Total / relentless violence and sex for 2 hours. The implication of raping an 11 year old girl - I was stunned, they would even cross this bridge. For people to praise this movie is shocking. You can think it is "just a movie" and that I am taking it way to seriously. But, if you honestly felt "entertained" by this movie, then our society is in trouble! Expand
  5. JB
    Apr 2, 2005
    I gave it a one because it is an actual movie. There were maybe 2 good dialogue bits in the movie. The rest was trite. The violence was uninspired. The critics have been bought off. This movie is hype. Visually stunning??? "Boring" is more like it. Sky Captain was way better. The people giving this "10s" are hired by a PR firm I bet. A damn shame.
  6. SeanY.
    Apr 5, 2005
    This movie stunk. I luv comic books, and hated this movie. I feel like one of my parents saying this, but I really almost walked out on it. I thought it was real sick. I don't find people getting hurt, tortured and killed "funny" and I worry about people who do find it funny. I also think that the movie is also full of Catholic bigotry. Weird how none of the critics bring that up.
  7. JakeR
    Apr 12, 2005
    This is good? This is even a movie? The only people I see liking this crap are either the marketing/pr team behind the movie or angry male comic book dorks who can't get girls and therefore hate all women. Don't be fooled by the hype, this so-called movie is terrible. I wish someone had warned me about this one.
  8. Arturo
    Apr 19, 2005
    Awful, noisy mess witout a decent plot.
  9. Heather
    Blah.
  10. TonyG.
    Apr 3, 2005
    Possibly the worst waste of film I have seen in the past decade. A pointless plot (does "this doesn't make sense" mean anything tho these guys, sheesh). Gratuiotuous violence. If you dig gross and gore, then I suppose you and your adolescent tribe can put down your Pokey-Man long enough to sneak in and sit through this crap, so you can brag to your friends about the "sword through Possibly the worst waste of film I have seen in the past decade. A pointless plot (does "this doesn't make sense" mean anything tho these guys, sheesh). Gratuiotuous violence. If you dig gross and gore, then I suppose you and your adolescent tribe can put down your Pokey-Man long enough to sneak in and sit through this crap, so you can brag to your friends about the "sword through the eye shot" or whatever crap it is entertains you. Then, visit a therapist, since that's what is needed next... Oh. the acting was pretty good overall, and the visual effects / look and feel was great. 1.2 on a scale of 1-5. Expand
  11. MarkB.
    Apr 3, 2005
    Visually, this movie is a 10. Yet, the story is boring and trite. It does not build any great affection for any of the characters in the three separate stories. Moreover, there is no coherent integration of these discrete stories. Thus, you are left rather unfulfilled - waiting for the big payoff that never comes. The campy gore quickly becomes gratuitous and the dialogue is repetitive. Visually, this movie is a 10. Yet, the story is boring and trite. It does not build any great affection for any of the characters in the three separate stories. Moreover, there is no coherent integration of these discrete stories. Thus, you are left rather unfulfilled - waiting for the big payoff that never comes. The campy gore quickly becomes gratuitous and the dialogue is repetitive. Metaphors are great but there is no need to keep repeating the exact same one over and over again. Expand
  12. RogerR.
    May 8, 2006
    Definatley one of the worst movies i have ever seen.
  13. NathanT.
    Sep 19, 2006
    Easily the sickest mainstream movie of 2005 was "Sin City." This is a duller than dull, grosser than gross adaptation of Frank Miller's adored graphic novels. But the movie, which features an all-star cast (Bruce Willis, Michael Madsen, Mickey Rourke, Jessica Alba, Elijah Wood, and on and on), is so sleazy and frankly boring that by the end of its two hours of screen time I feel Easily the sickest mainstream movie of 2005 was "Sin City." This is a duller than dull, grosser than gross adaptation of Frank Miller's adored graphic novels. But the movie, which features an all-star cast (Bruce Willis, Michael Madsen, Mickey Rourke, Jessica Alba, Elijah Wood, and on and on), is so sleazy and frankly boring that by the end of its two hours of screen time I feel exhausted and disgusted. Not since "Batman Returns" has a director been so fixated on creating moods and emulating creepy noir settings at the expense of storytelling that is coherent and enthralling. Director Robert Rodriguez (working with Quentin Tarantino) settles for misogynistic material that is amazing for the eyes to behold. But since when has that been enough? Working with Tarantino is a major tip-off to this movies abundance of problems. I loved "Kill Bill 2", thought it was among the best films of 2004. But there is a joy to the "Kill Bill" movies; a zeal for exhilarating movie making that calls to mind the joyful destruction of "Goodfellas" and those movies actually had strongly feminine proclivities. There is no joy, no fun, and no pleasure in "Sin City" (except for people who dig seeing the 50th head chopped off or women slapped around). Even if you can look past that there still isn't much to marvel at. Worse than the triumph of style over substance, "Sin City" champions bad attitude over ideas. Expand
  14. MalcolmM.
    Mar 30, 2007
    I'm not offended by nudity, and violence is okay if the flim has some other redeeming qualities. Sin City has no redeeming qualities. If Sin City is representative of modern comics I'm glad I gave up reading comics in my teens. Sin City isn't simply bad, it's disgusting.
  15. BuzzzKill
    Apr 3, 2005
    Ridculous dialogue. Self-serving and preposterous. This movie uses every cliche in the book. It's gut wrenching watching quality actors seem like they are suffering through such a goofy movie with some of the worst lines ever written.
  16. jefff.
    Aug 23, 2005
    Good looking but so what. Elijah Woods was in this where? Vile and bloody.
  17. BobA.
    Feb 22, 2006
    One day someone will have to explain to me what use "cool" is in praising a movie. It can't be quantified, or analyzed, or particularly defined. Something is "cool" when it is "cool." That's Sin City. All the men are big gritty types with fast cars and guns and hard fists -- "cool" All the women are prostitues or strippers in various states of undress who also have guns, though One day someone will have to explain to me what use "cool" is in praising a movie. It can't be quantified, or analyzed, or particularly defined. Something is "cool" when it is "cool." That's Sin City. All the men are big gritty types with fast cars and guns and hard fists -- "cool" All the women are prostitues or strippers in various states of undress who also have guns, though require protecting by the men -- "cool" The writing is cliche, the dialogue is bad, the acting is worse. The only thing that can be said positively is that the visual style of the movie is sometimes interesting. If Sin City is the essence of "cool" then that whole concept has come perilously close to "corny" Expand
  18. PaulH.
    Jun 6, 2007
    a disgusting blend of mind-numbingly banal cliches and over-the-top sadistic violence..i really wonder about those infants who find this film entertaining. It is about as original as a snuff movie and is a worrying sign of the direction Hollywood is taking. Bravo rayo for your wonderful critique...when kidnap,torture,rape and cannibalism becomes mainstream popcorn-fodder you really have a disgusting blend of mind-numbingly banal cliches and over-the-top sadistic violence..i really wonder about those infants who find this film entertaining. It is about as original as a snuff movie and is a worrying sign of the direction Hollywood is taking. Bravo rayo for your wonderful critique...when kidnap,torture,rape and cannibalism becomes mainstream popcorn-fodder you really have to ask yourself about the world you're living in. This movie really does not have any redeeming features. Sorry to sound like an evangelist but as someone who loves cinema i find sin city empty, shallow, fake, offensive and in the end plain dumb. Expand
  19. gretcheno.
    Oct 19, 2005
    This is by far the worst movie ever made. The positive reviews MUST be a complete conspiracy of those who made or are paid to promote the movie.
  20. MangoP
    Jun 5, 2008
    "Sin City" is a depressing, anger-inducing headache for anyone who cares about humanity. The only thing this film accomplished is to make me loathe the worst of human nature just a little bit more. The comic book visuals could not get me to detach from its turgid subject matter.
  21. Gordy
    Aug 22, 2005
    Overrated and overhyped crap. Teenage boy's wet dream, and comic book geeks will love this but those with any taste in movies will be hugely diappointed. The violence is over the top and disturbing, the whole thing reeks of misogyny and the dialogue is crap. Mickey Rourke's story is ok, but the rest of the acting is weak. Shame with such good acting talent on board too. Overrated and overhyped crap. Teenage boy's wet dream, and comic book geeks will love this but those with any taste in movies will be hugely diappointed. The violence is over the top and disturbing, the whole thing reeks of misogyny and the dialogue is crap. Mickey Rourke's story is ok, but the rest of the acting is weak. Shame with such good acting talent on board too. Comparisons with Pulp fiction are all wrong. Expand
  22. DZ
    Nov 14, 2006
    Quentin Tarantino's most well liked movie is The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly. Undeniably these are the premises of which this movie may be judged upon. The Good: The singular notion of a theme is the principal reason of why this movie is notable. Rodriguez struggles to concentrate on depth and heaviness in his movie's eternal soul. He pelts on superficiality rather than Quentin Tarantino's most well liked movie is The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly. Undeniably these are the premises of which this movie may be judged upon. The Good: The singular notion of a theme is the principal reason of why this movie is notable. Rodriguez struggles to concentrate on depth and heaviness in his movie's eternal soul. He pelts on superficiality rather than exploring the rigid atmosphere, the characters, and why in Sin City each of the characters is interwoven. Neither of any of these is explored. He explores confidence. Never achieving any merit with his central theme. All he centres on is his characters obsession with vengeance; other themes are not targeted. The Bad: Characters. Dialogue. Themes. Mood. Atmosphere. The painting that Rodriguez and Miller paint with each of their characters feels as if it were painted by cheap water colors that were purchased at a second hand store. Their intention with their paint and brush is to only fufill themselves with covering that blank sheet. That is what their characters are. Cheap, flat and abysmally written. Rodriguez is the only individual that is aware of how the audience is able to resonate with each character; they are never given an opportunity. Expand
  23. HanselH.
    Feb 25, 2006
    All style and no substance. It's as ugly and as fake as Mickey Rourke's makeup (whose story was the only enjoyable one). Definitely for geeks who masturbate to cartoon women.
  24. MaxwellB.
    Apr 2, 2005
    I really wanted it to be good. I like Rob Rodriguez. But this movie is as bad as Once Upon a Time in Mexico. Ridiculous dialogue ("BIG, FAT KILL!).' The best performances are by actors whose parts are short (Benicio Del Toro). Great visuals a file does not make.
  25. TexK.
    Apr 4, 2005
    This movie was a real disappointment. Other than "the look" of it, there is nothing else. Well nothing except sadistic violence. Oh yeah, and a hatred of women. Every single woman in this movie was either a whore or a victim. I think that the people who say they liked this movie are just trying to be cool and are too afraid to stand on their own two feet.
  26. Colonel
    Apr 9, 2005
    Too violent, who cares about the characters. disturbing. cool cinematography, but if you don't like the characters who cares.
  27. BrianJ
    Apr 9, 2005
    I like Pulp Fiction, Resevior Dogs, etc. I don't mind violence and sexual themes portayed creatively. This film is simply flashy and trashy. It was one of the very few times I wanted to get up and leave the theater because I was so disappointed and had such high hopes for the film. Simply terrible. Only suited for those who go to comic book conventions.
  28. babefilet
    Apr 10, 2005
    This was one of the most terrible movies I have seen in a long time. I found it sexist, disgusting, and revolting. Terrible movie. Don't waste the $5.
  29. RodR.
    Apr 1, 2005
    I am completely stunned that this film has a rating of 75 from Metacritic. This is, without any exaggeration, one of the worst movies I have seen in a long while. The dialogue (even if you allow that it is meant to be comic book-inspired) is astonishingly awful. The characterizations are forced, trite, and barely one-dimensional. This movie was not even "so bad it's good." It's I am completely stunned that this film has a rating of 75 from Metacritic. This is, without any exaggeration, one of the worst movies I have seen in a long while. The dialogue (even if you allow that it is meant to be comic book-inspired) is astonishingly awful. The characterizations are forced, trite, and barely one-dimensional. This movie was not even "so bad it's good." It's just terrible, terrible, terrible... an unforgivable insult to all cinema, everywhere. Expand
  30. JoeF
    Apr 12, 2005
    This may be the best movie of its genre ever made, but so what? What if the genre itself is marginally entertaining, at best, and, at worst, celebrates the worst of human tendencies? Tough losers out for justice? Please. No plot, no character development, nothing, except more castrations and eviscerations and viciousness than I care to see in 2 hours.
  31. KeithnotKieth
    Apr 10, 2005
    The only thing that makes this movie watchable is the script. Cutting and wringing out the good moments in Frank Miller's very original comics stories -- which are mostly good noir shorts -- makes this movie almost fun. While I agree with others here that its cliche-ridden noir, that's the point...the added fun is the extreme cartoon-like violence. All of this, however, works The only thing that makes this movie watchable is the script. Cutting and wringing out the good moments in Frank Miller's very original comics stories -- which are mostly good noir shorts -- makes this movie almost fun. While I agree with others here that its cliche-ridden noir, that's the point...the added fun is the extreme cartoon-like violence. All of this, however, works much better in the books than on the screen. The "dazzling" and "eye-popping" (gotta love the critics) visual look of the movie fails on the most basic and fundamental level of what a movie should do -- that is, you are never for one moment NOT aware that there is a camera and a director. Thus, you are never fully immersed in the very intriguing world of Sin City for more than a few moments at a time. Not that it wasn't a special effects achievement -- considering that every scene and most every prop wasn't actually there, it's all pretty impressive. However, Rodriguez couldn't decide if this movie was going to be black and white, in the classic sense of the term (i.e., black, white and grays) or stark black and stark white (like the comics) or faded color (like those Fuji film commercials where they compare their film with an off-brand) or spot color (like the Gatorade ads). Ultimately, Rodriguez goes back and forth too many times, and ofttimes way too abruptly, for you to accept any of it. Individually, there probably isn't one shot that isn't beautiful -- as a whole it's like splicing Scorsese's Cape Fear together with the B&W original without telling your audience, then unleashing the havoc upon them. What also wasn't considered is that the stylized look of Frank Miller's art in the comic books allows the mind to accept certain "unrealities" that in live, 3D action just become inane and hard to swallow...much like the dialogue, which was clearly never meant to be said aloud. In the comics, this series of mini series ran out of steam by the fourth tale -- and the movie does too. This happens because some of the actors -- like Josh Hartnett, Michael Madsen and white trash poster child Brittany Murphy -- all seem to have no understanding of what they're saying...as if these people are students reading Shakespeare aloud for the first time. Granted, the dialogue is a bit thick and hard to cut through, but every line in these noir tales boils down to only 1 of 3 messages: "I'm going to die," "I'm going to kill ____," "Be careful you don't get killed." It also doesn't help that usually dependable actors like Bruce Willis, Madsen and Powers Boothe seem hopelessly out of place and that Clive Owen can't seem to get rid of his British accent for more than a few lines at a time. Big surprises in convincing turns include Jessica Alba as a teen stripper, Rutger Haur as a Cardinal, and especially Mickey Rourke as killer tank Marv. Carla Gugino as a mostly naked parol officer was a treat -- er, also because she could act. The movie would've been better served in part had they chosen to utilize the great titles of the comics. It would've done us well to see "The Big Fat Kill" plastered across the screen for that piece of the story; "A Dame to Kill For" is too good a title not to share. Of course, the way-too-obvious metaphor for the child molester later referred to as "That Yellow Bastard" worked about as well on screen as it did in the comics (that is, not at all), but it still would've been nice to see the title; it also would've helped explain the spot color of that character to those not familiar with the books (which, presumably, is virtually everyone). If a sequel comes down, it'd be interesting to see if Rodriguez learns from his missteps in this very provocative experiment in filmic storytelling. Expand
  32. ScottM.
    Apr 17, 2005
    Please - THis movie was HORRIBLE - SUCKS - Or any other negative word you want to throw in there! If you read the reviews most are talking about it's visual look! OK - you get over that and (usually) get into the movie after a few minutes, in which the cinematography/visual is supposed to enhance the plot/script/characters/etc. This is only the second movie in my entire life (35) Please - THis movie was HORRIBLE - SUCKS - Or any other negative word you want to throw in there! If you read the reviews most are talking about it's visual look! OK - you get over that and (usually) get into the movie after a few minutes, in which the cinematography/visual is supposed to enhance the plot/script/characters/etc. This is only the second movie in my entire life (35) that I couldn't wait until it was over and leave. A good sign of how a movie is also how the audience reacts when the lights come up. There were early 20 teens behind us, older people on our right and same age in front and they all had the same look of disgust on thier faces. That is how can this movie be rated R when it should be NC-17? The critics and motion picture assoiciation have no balls to bow to the Hollywood pressure. Bruce Willis should the take away thier lack of balls the same way he did in the movie. Don't fall for the positive reviews!!!! SUCKS SUCKS SUCKS!!! Expand
  33. JessicaH.
    Apr 21, 2005
    The worst movie I've seen all year. You'll like it if you're a misogynist or if you really get off on excessive blood and gore. Totally disappointing all around.
  34. IdekO.
    Apr 2, 2005
    The look is original -that is the only reason I'm not giving it a zero. Seeing as how this is based on a comic book, I suppose the dialogue ought to be rather trite - it is. And it is delivered by cookie cutter characters. The whole movie seems to be the brainchild of some 13 year old. Constant violence and random nudity with no real story to make any of it meaningful. There are The look is original -that is the only reason I'm not giving it a zero. Seeing as how this is based on a comic book, I suppose the dialogue ought to be rather trite - it is. And it is delivered by cookie cutter characters. The whole movie seems to be the brainchild of some 13 year old. Constant violence and random nudity with no real story to make any of it meaningful. There are three main segments, and the "plot" in each of them is basically person A needs to kill person B because person B hurt/killed person C. Oh, and if anyone gets in the way, they'll be killed too. I do not automatically label all movie violence as bad, but I found this movie very redundant and pointless. Expand
  35. TomC.
    Apr 3, 2005
    Style over substance wasn't mean to be a creedo.
  36. TY
    Apr 3, 2005
    Great to look at, boring to listen to.
  37. JamesB.
    Apr 4, 2005
    It was creative and I liked the styling used with the black and white filming and splashes of color. Having reflected on the content, I am left with a lot of questions and wondermeant as to why certain things were done the way they were and for what purpose. Intermingling a number of story lines was just confusing unlike what was done in "Pulp Fiction" (which pulled it off and succeeded).
  38. JosephC.
    Apr 7, 2005
    I have read and watched Science Fiction and Graphic Novels and associated films since I was 13, WAY long ago. It amazes me that anyone sees Sin City as anything but dreck. Dark, demoralizing, confused, gratuitously violent, it makes Kill Bill v.1 a Nursery tail. Women are treated with contempt, people exist to kill or be killed. It makes Clockwork Orange into a light-hearted romp, and, as I have read and watched Science Fiction and Graphic Novels and associated films since I was 13, WAY long ago. It amazes me that anyone sees Sin City as anything but dreck. Dark, demoralizing, confused, gratuitously violent, it makes Kill Bill v.1 a Nursery tail. Women are treated with contempt, people exist to kill or be killed. It makes Clockwork Orange into a light-hearted romp, and, as usual, spits at anything in a position that would otherwise be held in honor. Police, the religious, government, anything is held in contempt and the characters do not even act consistently. Eeeeeuuuuuuuuuu. Where is the Pepto Bismo. Expand
  39. Gnarles
    Apr 7, 2005
    To my astonishment, I didn't enjoy Sin City at all. All my friends love it, and most critics, and usually that means it's a shoe-in for me to like it too. But I didn't. I loved the look of the movie initially, but the seams soon begin to show, and the car cashes looked like something out of a PS2 game, complete with rubbery CGI. The dialogue obviously was trying for a noir To my astonishment, I didn't enjoy Sin City at all. All my friends love it, and most critics, and usually that means it's a shoe-in for me to like it too. But I didn't. I loved the look of the movie initially, but the seams soon begin to show, and the car cashes looked like something out of a PS2 game, complete with rubbery CGI. The dialogue obviously was trying for a noir feel, but the writers lacked the conviction and talent to really pull it off, and it sounded jokey and near-parodic at times. Anyone who thinks this movie has great and "authentic" writing would do well to watch a real noir film sometime. And finally, the movie was long, boring, and cruel. Normally I love violence in movies. I can watch Kill Bill and Natural Born Killers on a continuous loop. But in those films, the violence had an undercurrent of humanity or satire, of purpose. It had a point. In Sin City, the violence exists so that there can be violence, and that's it. It's so extreme at times that it's laughable. The story, meanwhile, is much re-used noir cliches jammed into a Pulp Fiction circular story crucible. Feh. There were good things about Sin City, though. There were a lot of hot babes, many of them naked, and the movie was occasionally really funny and thrilling. Also, Mickey Rourke and Elijah Wood were sensational. If only that were enough. What a waste! Expand
  40. MichaelL.
    Apr 8, 2005
    I'm giving "Sin City" a generous 4. Because it looked fantastic. Because it sometimes made me laugh. Because, at times, it looked like "Chicago" with a buzz saw. But, ultimately, it was an endless parade of sadistic violence, nothing more. Sorry, you 'critics' who call this genius, but any high school boy could write this screenplay. And that in and of itself makes me hate I'm giving "Sin City" a generous 4. Because it looked fantastic. Because it sometimes made me laugh. Because, at times, it looked like "Chicago" with a buzz saw. But, ultimately, it was an endless parade of sadistic violence, nothing more. Sorry, you 'critics' who call this genius, but any high school boy could write this screenplay. And that in and of itself makes me hate this film. It isn't even remotely intellectually challenging. It isn't morally challenging. It simply throws graphic images at you faster than a music video, and helps to sink culture deeper and deeper into the pit of stupidity. When I read reviews of "Psycho" by 20-somethings ("...so boring and slow!"), it makes me cringe, and it makes me cringe to realize they think "Sin City" is genius filmmaking. And, lastly, what is with the R rating? Almodovar's "Bad Education" got an NC-17 because two men simulated having sex. "Sin City" shows dismemberment, endless stabings and impalings, every type of torture imaginable...and the the ratings board thinks it's family fare. Our culture is sicker than "Sin City" could ever hope to be. Expand
  41. MiKE
    May 1, 2005
    Yes, the movie does have style. Amazing special effects, great actors. And yet it doesnt work. This isnt a movie, it felt like a pointless comic book. with over the top violence that kept shocking people to forget the movie had such a weak story.
  42. HeatherP.
    May 6, 2005
    I was told you would love this movie even if you never read the comics. This is NOT true. My husband and I walked out of the movie (which I have only ever done once before) after 70 min. because we were still baffled and didn't care to figure it out. While the movie is the most comic like representation brought to the screen, its story was confusing and unentertaining. I really feel I was told you would love this movie even if you never read the comics. This is NOT true. My husband and I walked out of the movie (which I have only ever done once before) after 70 min. because we were still baffled and didn't care to figure it out. While the movie is the most comic like representation brought to the screen, its story was confusing and unentertaining. I really feel the flashy graphics and special effects were what the critics were interested in, and not the story line. Expand
  43. robs.
    Jul 10, 2005
    Disgustingly useless, trash.
  44. JeffJ.
    Aug 2, 2005
    This movie made me physically ill. It is deeply sick. Yes, the stylistic technique is great and the acting is (mostly) good, but how many graphic scenes of sadistic torture and gory violence can you watch without wanting some meaning or character development? This is not social commentary, it's a snuff film.
  45. davidb.
    Aug 9, 2005
    Left early. One of the most wosrt moments of cinema I've ever experienced; the violence was over the top and was there to support a weakly written script.
  46. TylerC.
    Aug 20, 2006
    This movie was terrible from beginning to end. Unfortunately I watched the whole movie because I believed it would redeem itself There was no humor in it and the violence was offensive. It was completely awful.
  47. TonyL
    Apr 11, 2005
    This film made me feel icky afterwards. I liked Kill Bill, but Sin City was just depressing to me. I thought the scene with the dog was way over the top.
  48. TomM
    Apr 12, 2005
    Ok I seem to be in minority here I know and despite the look of the film which was awsome this film left me feeling dirty my buddy I went with gave it a 10 and we usually agree on films, but not this one. Just not my type of movie I guess.
  49. LeeF.
    Apr 1, 2005
    Interesting to look at, boring as hell otherwise. Lasted way too long to be a parody. For adolescent boys of every age.
  50. JessW.
    Apr 13, 2005
    I loved the film noir feeling, but beyond that, the film was horrific and raunchy. They went a little overboard; it could have been incredible.
  51. JoeU.
    Apr 22, 2005
    Another example of an American movie with values based on stile, cinematography, special effects, and star power, but not on inspiration, or a compelling story. Worst, it was very boring. So boring, that it has the dubious distinction of being one of only three movies ever in my life, that I couldn't make to the end. I give it two points for style and cinematography. Zero for Another example of an American movie with values based on stile, cinematography, special effects, and star power, but not on inspiration, or a compelling story. Worst, it was very boring. So boring, that it has the dubious distinction of being one of only three movies ever in my life, that I couldn't make to the end. I give it two points for style and cinematography. Zero for inspiration, story, or even entertainment value. Expand
  52. DavidM.
    Apr 25, 2005
    One of the most mindnumbingly bad moments of cinema I've ever experienced. We walked out after an hour of the idiotic voice-overs and senseless (teen level-inspired) violence. That's one hour of my life gone forever. Absolutely hideous -- the worst! Avoid at all costs.
  53. AustinA.
    Apr 29, 2005
    A good story gone awry with over-the-top senseless voilence and bloodshed. Not bad, just sickeningly gory.
  54. PierreM.
    Apr 3, 2005
    I got bored about 2 minutes into the movie. The stories don't tie together, and the acting is full of ridiculous one liners. It was a total waste of $9 and 2 hours.
  55. JoshE.
    Apr 3, 2005
    Wow. I really do not like Robert Roddriguez at all. This film is robotic in more ways than I could possibly relate. The acting is mechanical and painful to watch with the exception of a paltry few scenes that were either directed by Tarantino or had Rodriguez "snoozing" on the job. The violence, or more pointedly the gore, is so relentless that it becomes tiresome in the first few Wow. I really do not like Robert Roddriguez at all. This film is robotic in more ways than I could possibly relate. The acting is mechanical and painful to watch with the exception of a paltry few scenes that were either directed by Tarantino or had Rodriguez "snoozing" on the job. The violence, or more pointedly the gore, is so relentless that it becomes tiresome in the first few minutes. The gimmicky use of color is inconsistent. The utterly literal translation of the single frames in the original books, into extended live scenes, removes the impact that much of the imagery had. I enjoyed the books immensely, but this film is no representation of them and my already incredibly low opinion of Robert Rodriguez as a "pioneering" filmmaker is only smacked out of the park. Dare I say this film is offensively bad? Yes! Expand
  56. SteveK.
    Apr 6, 2005
    I could stand the ridiculous violence in Kill Bill. But in this movie it's just too much. It relishes in the violence to the point that it becomes sadistic mayhem for the sake of sadistic mayhem. It doesn't move the story. Shocking, over-the-top violence can be used in moderation to tell a story, but all it does is dull down this dark, sordid thing that passes for a movie. I could stand the ridiculous violence in Kill Bill. But in this movie it's just too much. It relishes in the violence to the point that it becomes sadistic mayhem for the sake of sadistic mayhem. It doesn't move the story. Shocking, over-the-top violence can be used in moderation to tell a story, but all it does is dull down this dark, sordid thing that passes for a movie. I've seen one decapitation, limb chopping, eye-gouging too many. Think about the title a bit. If you don't relish in "sin" and find it amusing or funny, then don't watch this dark, dismal mess. You're going to need a good sense of humor about sadistic and brutal violence to enjoy "Sin City". Collapse
  57. MatthewA.
    May 12, 2005
    I was exicted when I went into the movie and kind of bummed out when I left the theatre. I liked the way the trailers to the movie potrayed it. But it came out to be something that I obviously overlooked. The dialogue was horrible two many big actors that didnt add to there roles more than just played them just to be in a movie. The way the went from scene to scene was too unothodox to I was exicted when I went into the movie and kind of bummed out when I left the theatre. I liked the way the trailers to the movie potrayed it. But it came out to be something that I obviously overlooked. The dialogue was horrible two many big actors that didnt add to there roles more than just played them just to be in a movie. The way the went from scene to scene was too unothodox to follow in any decernable order beside of which actor was on the screen. definilty was a great idea made into to a poorly acted series of shortfilms slapped together to fill time. Expand
  58. EricS.
    May 18, 2005
    Film noirs are indeed alive and well ("Minority Report" is a magical example), but "Sin City" is just not a very good noir. It is not compelling, and thinks it can substitute style for substance and get away with it. I'm thrilled that "Sin City" used an ingeniously awkward color pallette, but that is ALL it has going for it.
  59. antonib.
    Jul 17, 2005
    Taking into consideration the level of violence, this is a movie for sick minds who enjoy strong sadism.
  60. BrianG.
    Aug 8, 2005
    This movie was absolutely appalling. The plot goes nowhere, with characters who die and come back to life, repeating the same scene twice. I continuted to wait for a good fight scene, only to find people's heads torn off, cannibalisim and no characters whom a viewer becomes partial to. Black and white did not serve this movie well. If you're looking for extreme violence with no This movie was absolutely appalling. The plot goes nowhere, with characters who die and come back to life, repeating the same scene twice. I continuted to wait for a good fight scene, only to find people's heads torn off, cannibalisim and no characters whom a viewer becomes partial to. Black and white did not serve this movie well. If you're looking for extreme violence with no plot at all, I would advise watching Wrestle Mania. It's almost as faked as this movie. Almost. Expand
  61. RodneyM.
    Jan 29, 2007
    Could this movie be any more corny? The whole black & white drama thing didn't display any emotion and I've seen better CGI in a PS2 game. See anything but this.
  62. PatrickB.
    Apr 13, 2005
    This movie seems to polarize. Not a lot of sixes or sevens. Yeah, I'm giving it a low rating for content. Terribly violent to the point of pornography (the next frontier in entertainment I bet; people being dismembered for its "entertainment" value). Totally gross and totally with redemption. Even the heroes are sick. I dunno...when our culture finds this stuff entertaining, makes me This movie seems to polarize. Not a lot of sixes or sevens. Yeah, I'm giving it a low rating for content. Terribly violent to the point of pornography (the next frontier in entertainment I bet; people being dismembered for its "entertainment" value). Totally gross and totally with redemption. Even the heroes are sick. I dunno...when our culture finds this stuff entertaining, makes me cringe. No way should be an R...how do you not label this NC-17???? MPAA should just put a collection plate in front the studios cuz they're definitely taking payoff these days. Screw em. Technically the movie is brilliant. If only they'd put this ceative brilliance to the Batman franchise...sigh... Expand
  63. dw
    Apr 15, 2005
    Stupid. I really wanted to love the stylistic audacity of this movie, but the script is just so stunningly unintelligent, inhuman, confused and boring. All this effort and all this hoopla for such meager storytelling. The fact that so many critics and fans have fallen for this movie is like one of those modern art pieces where a guy fills an aquarium with pig blood or something and Stupid. I really wanted to love the stylistic audacity of this movie, but the script is just so stunningly unintelligent, inhuman, confused and boring. All this effort and all this hoopla for such meager storytelling. The fact that so many critics and fans have fallen for this movie is like one of those modern art pieces where a guy fills an aquarium with pig blood or something and everybody says "Ooo, it got a reaction out of me. That must mean it's art." PS: Poor Benicio del Toro. The best actor who never does movies approximating his talent. Expand
  64. jacks.
    Apr 18, 2005
    So grossly violent and disgusting , I would have walked out but I was with others.
  65. CDung
    Aug 21, 2005
    This movie gets a 3. 1 for Mickey Rourke's character, 2 for Elijah Wood's character and 3 for Miho. The rest excessive style over substance. There is no substance actually. The dialogue is horrible. The writing is juvenille as is the world of the story. Perhaps it was best left between the pages of a comic book for some kid with delusions of grandeur to take in. It is the This movie gets a 3. 1 for Mickey Rourke's character, 2 for Elijah Wood's character and 3 for Miho. The rest excessive style over substance. There is no substance actually. The dialogue is horrible. The writing is juvenille as is the world of the story. Perhaps it was best left between the pages of a comic book for some kid with delusions of grandeur to take in. It is the greatest hits of all pubescent male fantasies come to life only to die again and die some more and then he gets killed and then her and then him, now back to her and then someone else. It's killing and torture just for kicks and if you like that, then you'll love this film. Expand
  66. Sep 1, 2014
    Just because Sin City is derived from a graphic novel does not necessarily mean I wish for the film to appear as exactly such. The visuals were mediocre alongside its choppy script.
  67. Apr 21, 2015
    It really is a unique film, but how it is approached is just .. do not know, not my taste. .

The most visually inventive comic book adaptation to make its way to a movie screen.
  2. Eye-popping yet ultimately thin and shallow as a page in a graphic novel.
  3. Reviewed by: Todd McCarthy
    For geeks, action freaks and sensation-seeking teenage boys of all ages, the price of admission will provide a one-way ticket to hard-boiled heaven.