7.8

1. Apr 5, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. "Sin City" is a very good movie with intense action. It really goes all in on showing how bad the crime scene is there. I especially like the narrative point of view character's in it. I also like that in the movie there are no limits in how bad the crimes really are at all. It does a great job in delivering certain items or people to be different color from the rest to point them out. The cast does a great job especially Clive Owen in his performance. Overall this is a dark movie, with violence and corruption which is what the movie is supposed to represent and they do an excellent job at it. Expand
  2. Jan 12, 2014
    Ever thought you'd actually like a movie with a heavily used up "Detective's POV" style of progression? From this century? Well think again! A surreal, visually stunning Neo-noir by the legend himself - teaming alongside the likes Tarantino and Rodriguez - entertainment couldn't possibly get any better than this.
  3. Oct 7, 2013
    Easily one of the best comic book movies is so goddamn awesome so many awesome characters and such an amazing setting worth all the moneys 10/10 so much goddamn good
  4. Aug 24, 2013
    This is a rather unique film that some will not like, but according to most everyone has loved it! It's very creative and visually looks stunning, and is lead by a strong all-star cast. We follow three 'heroes' with interwoven stories all in Sin City itself, each with their own strong points. The graphics are what make this film unique as well as the selective choice for the colour of blood, etc. Overall I thoroughly enjoyed it and those with a open mind should do the same Expand
  5. Aug 1, 2013
    Another breakthrough in cinema comes in the form of Sin City, a film brimming with so much drama, flare, excitement and beauty that it will ultimately be one of the defining, unforgettable and dramatic pieces of modern cinema that explores and discovers new ground, and brings the comic to movie adaption scenario to a whole new level. The film is told through various stories based on Frank Millar's comic book series, the man who also directed the film along with Robert Rodriguez, and a special credit for Quentin Tarantino, along with an ensemble cast that have the pleasure of taking part in such a unique film.
    We have Bruce Willis playing an ageing cop with heart problems, who struggles to do his duty, while in another story we have a heavily make-upped Mickey Rourke playing Marv, a man on the hunt for the person who killed his mistress in the night, and he will not let anyone stand in his way, good or bad. The large cast which also includes Jessica Alba, Josh Hartnett, the late Brittany Murphy, Elijah Wood and Michael Madsen, all play very versatile and intriguing parts, and to my understanding this is more a "translation" than an adaption, as it is very close to the comics. These actors and actresses really throw themselves into the roles, particularly Mickey Rourke as the larger than life Marv, and also Clive Owen, a mysterious man helping out a town of prostitutes.
    The statement of the film and its faithful translation of the comic series is visually true on screen, when we see the graphic content and the neo-noir effect used entirely throughout the film, where it is predominately black and white save for certain colours such as blood and lipstick.
    This unique and edgy form of filming is magnificent and full of gore, with an exaggerated and out of this world form of violence. Its a real delight when a film like this comes along, combining the power of technology and of course, the imagination, to create a very singular and unorthodox film that never quits being surprising, innovative and most of all, fun.
    The film is one of historical significance in terms of its groundbreaking style of filming, but it is also well written and can be summed up in various aways, a crime film, a thriller but also a very brutal and imaginative tale, a must see for comic book and film fans alike.
  6. Jul 24, 2013
    One my favorite comic adapts. I still think its one of the best. Great black and white noir look mixed with fantasy elements. Each character almost more over the top than the next. The only thing is I thought they should have done the long goodbye last because it was strongest of the stories and the best performances are in that story. The other stories are good but nothing quiet lives up to Mickey Rourke's turn as the revenge for the hooker with a heart gold..Goldy... Expand
  7. May 24, 2013
    Spilt into chapters Sin City is a faithful adaptation of three of Frank Millers violent, but brilliantly written, Sin City stories. Shot largely in black and white using Millers graphic novels as story boards director Rodriguez has been able to create a visual feast the likes of which still hasn't been matched.

Fortunately the stories themselves are able to match the visuals with each
    of the three fast-paced and engaging chapters providing truly memorable heroes and villains that take full advantage of the impressively talented cast. An all out success just sit back and enjoy two hours of fantastic entertainment. Expand
  8. May 15, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Comic book movies have usually been the big hitters, like Batman, Superman, and the Marvel heroes. Today is the exception with Sin city. I never heard of it, and I never knew that this was based off a comic book, in fact the menu for the DVD tells you by itself. Not that I'm judging it differently now that I know it was based off a comic, but I can definitely see nods and ideas that comics themselves would take. Sin city is the dark noir; add salt and salt, view of three people: a cop, I think a detective, and a loser; persay. Each tale is told well in their own way, showing off the grittiness of the everyday city some us walk through everyday; if you lived in Chicago at least, and is told by unique and interesting people. Bruce wills plays a cop; stop me if you heard this before, and is hunting down a serial pedophile, he does good in not making his role too extreme or boring, just the right I'd say. Mickey Rourk does an awesome job of playing the bad ass Marv, I said earlier that he was a loser, but that was only figuratively. The last I guy I don't know, he's okay he definitely sells me on the character he's trying to play, but his monotone voice is rather boring. The stories are divided well and purposely don't tie into each other, which is good so that it doesn't get confusing. I mean a character will see another one from another tale, but it doesn't mean anything. Finally I conclude with saying this is one of the best comic book movies out there, near the dark knight, but not close. Expand
  9. Mar 9, 2013
    Its on my list for one of the best movies of all time, Sin City grabs audiences in on all levels whether its humor or its satisfying style of thrilling violence. Rodriguez at his absolute best.
  10. Jan 17, 2013
    This film is extremely disturbing: the violence is gruesome, the plot is dark, and a lot of the scenes/themes are vile, but that's what a graphic novel is! Despite loving the direction of the film, I was heavily disturbed (in particularly the Last Jessica Alba scene), but while I was ringing at the horrific images all I could think was how generally excellent this film is.
  11. Jan 11, 2013
    I really wanted to enjoy this movie more than I did. It was filmed nicely, and the screenplay was adapted well. On the other hand, you could definitely tell it had a low budget at times. Acting, at some parts, was laughable. Everyone seems to love this movie, and they seem to be ignoring some flaws in its design.
  12. Jan 2, 2013
    Extreme brutality and violence, visually-arresting cinematography, and nothing short of pure genius. Remarkable crime thriller neo-noir based on Frank Miller's graphic comic novel series. Directed by Robert Rodriguez and Frank Miller, there wasn't a screenplay written for the film, and instead they approached the filming as a translation. This isn't an adaptation of a comic book, it's like a comic book brought to life and pumped with steroids. The movie is based on three of the "Sin City" stories which works perfectly for a two hour film. There are big time actors in the movie (Bruce Willis, Clive Owen, Mickey Rourke), but there is no lead role so much as actors who dominate the foreground and then move on. Fully digital, live action picture incorporating a technique of colorization while filmed in black and white. To say that this is the best comic book to movie adaptation I've ever seen would be an understatement. Expand
  13. Aug 13, 2012
    Sin City, based on the graphic novels, is a thrilling ride through the dirt and muck that corrupts and influences even the most upright of men. Its visually unique style emphasizes the morally grey nature of violence and sin, when evil men often dig their own graves.
  14. Jul 26, 2012
    "Sin City" is much more than a gory, stylized flick, it actually has a story and plot and, well, everything else. Shot in a gritty black and white background with highlighted shades of red and yellow, this is one hell of a movie. And believe me, it has such style.
  15. Feb 10, 2012
    This didn't affected me too much while i was watching but after a 2 or 3 days, i noticed that i kept thinking about this and then i realized how an epic experience this movie was. I actually watched it because of Jessica Alba, but i couldn't believe it would be that good. Comments? Come on guys, if you give this movie anything lower than 5, then it is your problem. Cast is already full with stars: Jessica, Bruce Willis, Clive Owen, Mickey Rourke and even Michael Clarke Duncan bro...Noir Crime movies is not something seen common in Hollywood (i dont even remember another Noir Crime other than Max Payne Movie) Watch it and you will love it... Expand
  16. Dec 19, 2011
    While the film does start out interesting, It gets pretty old and boring the further you get into it. Also the stories are rather stupid and pretty generic, They lack interest as well. Also the acting is well below what I expected from the star studded cast. It looks good but thats about it.
  17. Sep 24, 2011
    "Sin City", a neo noir movie based on the graphic novel, is a beautiful film. It films in glorious black and white with rich story segments and artistic brutality. Simply a dazzling crime movie that has everything one craves for.
  18. Sep 10, 2011
    Sin City is, in every respect, a masterpiece of kistch. Simultaneously celebrating shallowness and gratuitousness while offering twisted spins on the themes of noir stories, Robert Rodriguez (and Frank Miller, but he is not technically a director of this film) paints a pulp art story then enjoys itself, while allowing the audience to enjoy it. Provided you have a strong stomach.
  19. Aug 14, 2011
    I loved the way the it is presented; a pulp noir thing. I never read the comic so I really didn't know what I was in for when I decided to watch this and I am glad I did. The violence is a bit over the top but it's no big deal, it acts as part of the city helping boost the fact that it's 'Sin City'
  20. Aug 1, 2011
    Ang Lee tried to make the abysmal Hulk look like it was a live comic book and failed miserably; Sin City was the one that did it to near perfection. If you take a decent comic book and a full on gynormous fan as the director, you get something different and engaging on the screen. Robert Rodriguez took Frank Millers popular comic and must have looked up and down from his worn copy to the camera before every shot. He found a cast that matched the books characters and if he didnâ Expand
  21. Apr 11, 2011
    I love this movie. All the story to this movie are awesome. This movie was kind of confusing at first. This movie is a very interested one. Very different from all the other movies. The storyline i really fine but confusing. I think everybody would love this movie. It might start of bored to some people. Everybody might not like all the stories in this movie but there are more than one so I think everybody would find some story they like. Expand
  22. Jan 7, 2011
    Comparing three seemingly undying men trying to do the right thing in a web of corruption, sickness, violence, and revenge. Great filmmaking. --------
  23. Aug 23, 2010
    a action packed movie that feels original and is well acted . ive never read the comic of sin city but its some thing that is deffinitly different . a big cast of named actors bring this thing to life . its 3 different storys that mildly inetrtwine with each other . its bloody, gory ,faced paced , over the top , and action packed , cheesy and enjoyable.

The most visually inventive comic book adaptation to make its way to a movie screen.
  2. Eye-popping yet ultimately thin and shallow as a page in a graphic novel.
  3. Reviewed by: Todd McCarthy
    For geeks, action freaks and sensation-seeking teenage boys of all ages, the price of admission will provide a one-way ticket to hard-boiled heaven.