8.1

1. May 23, 2015
    This is a good comic book to movie adaptation.Bruce Willis,Mickey Rourke,Jessica Alba and Clive Owen are excellent in their roles.The only thing that I found disappointing is, the fact, that Josh Hartnett was not there enough.But the movie was still excellent.
  2. Apr 21, 2015
    It really is a unique film, but how it is approached is just .. do not know, not my taste. .
  3. Dec 21, 2014
    The film is split into 3 shorter stories. One of which, "That Yellow Bastard" is tense, gripping, and excellently directed. The second, "The Hard Goodbye" falls short, but is still pretty entertaining. The third, "The Big Fat Kill" is absolutely ridiculous and horrible. The whole experience levels out to be something quite shallow and underwhelming, and by the end, you feel like RobertThe film is split into 3 shorter stories. One of which, "That Yellow Bastard" is tense, gripping, and excellently directed. The second, "The Hard Goodbye" falls short, but is still pretty entertaining. The third, "The Big Fat Kill" is absolutely ridiculous and horrible. The whole experience levels out to be something quite shallow and underwhelming, and by the end, you feel like Robert Rodriguez is just throwing blood all over the viewer's face saying "LOOK AT IT! LOOK AT IT!" Definitely not really worth watching, unless you can find "That Yellow Bastard" as a standalone short film. Expand
  4. Nov 15, 2014
    If I had to sum Sin City up In Two Words, I would say "Stylistically Badass" This film has TRULY Unique and equally Beautiful Visuals and a surprisingly Epic story, And something that makes this stand out from other comic book to movie adaptations is how faithful the live-action characters are to the original comic book characters.
  5. Nov 12, 2014
    The first time I saw this movie, I wasn't impressed. But after I thought about and watched it a second time on HBO it became one of my favorite movies. I love how everything was black and white except for certain colors that are important to the plot. Great plot, acting, and almost everything was perfect about this movie. Must see for comic book fans.
  6. Oct 23, 2014
    Well acted, Interesting story, and entertaining from start to finish. One of few original films to actually live up to the hype and is definitely a must watch.
  7. Oct 19, 2014
    A game changing movie. It provides a whole new look at how to present graphic novel/comic book material. I had no prior knowledge of Frank Miller or the Sin City world but this film made me an instant fan. These characters resonate with something no one of the viewers could comprehend, that is why we need their storytelling. A new universe backed by a rock solid cast. Clearly only forA game changing movie. It provides a whole new look at how to present graphic novel/comic book material. I had no prior knowledge of Frank Miller or the Sin City world but this film made me an instant fan. These characters resonate with something no one of the viewers could comprehend, that is why we need their storytelling. A new universe backed by a rock solid cast. Clearly only for adult viewers. Full of tall tales of revenge, love, and survival in the twisted depths of Basin City, better known as Sin City. A new world is created with this movie, as well as a dynamic stage for actors to step in and blossom as pretty much the whole cast did. Impressive. It takes a particular audience to like these types of movies due to the dark subject matter and graphic content, for that it is not a ten, but it has plenty other qualities that should not go ignored. Expand
  8. Sep 12, 2014
    Even if I am not familiar with the comics, I enjoyed this enough not to get bored. The way the story was built is interesting, all the little stories making a one, big entity. Also, the use of colors was unique.
  9. Sep 7, 2014
    Ah, a fun graphic novel/neon noir film at its finest. "Sin City" is filled with 3 interesting stories of revenge, vengeance and all in between. While some of the stories were better than others, the entertaining factor still remains throughout the whole film. The characters are not only great, but present great narratives as well. Bruce Willis, Mickey Rourke and Clive Owen really holdAh, a fun graphic novel/neon noir film at its finest. "Sin City" is filled with 3 interesting stories of revenge, vengeance and all in between. While some of the stories were better than others, the entertaining factor still remains throughout the whole film. The characters are not only great, but present great narratives as well. Bruce Willis, Mickey Rourke and Clive Owen really hold their own ground in each of their stories. Even the visuals are a marvel to watch. It's just like reading the pages from the graphic novel. Even though the multiple credits annoyed me and some parts of some of the stories were lacking, it's still a bloody good time! I give it an A-! Expand
  10. Sep 1, 2014
    Just because Sin City is derived from a graphic novel does not necessarily mean I wish for the film to appear as exactly such. The visuals were mediocre alongside its choppy script.
  11. Aug 25, 2014
    Expected so much more from this one. Sin City starts out intriguing, but in the middle gets so terrible I had to actually fast forward through parts of it and fight the urge to press stop and quit watching it. The problem, obviously, is not with the graphic presentation - it's stylish and sometimes very gory. Also gotta take note of the female cast - Jessica Alba is adorable, and othersExpected so much more from this one. Sin City starts out intriguing, but in the middle gets so terrible I had to actually fast forward through parts of it and fight the urge to press stop and quit watching it. The problem, obviously, is not with the graphic presentation - it's stylish and sometimes very gory. Also gotta take note of the female cast - Jessica Alba is adorable, and others (especially Carla Gugino, to my surprise) are outright hot. (Boobs included) But a movie isn't all about its presentation (and boobs), it's also very much about the plot, and it's pretty damn awful here. The main problem are the characters and the overall goofy comicbook crap that it's based on. Mickey Rourke's ugly-as- **** character throwing people like he's superpowered, Clive Owen jumping down buildings, creepy cannibalistic Elijah Wood, people surviving totally grave wounds and some ugly disgusting yellow freak are ridiculous and just plain stupid.
    It is impossible not to see how hard this tries to be "noir". with all the black-and-white colouring, constant rain or snow and neverending inner monologues. But it tries too hard, not achieving much. What the movie lacks is a good source to be based on - maybe some detective novel, some real literature, not this comic book junk from Mr. Miller, who can hardly be called a writer.
    Only good thing is that now I know that I'm in no way spending money on a cinema ticket to the Dame to Kill For, despite its boob-cast now including Eva Green.
  12. Aug 7, 2014
    One of the most visually stunning, brutal, dark, and all around best comic book/graphic novel movies out there. "Sin City" is an absolutely fascinating world. It's filled with sick, twisted, and screwed up characters. Even each of the films heroes aren't immune to this fact. They're all unhinged in some way.

It's a gripping movie. One that should be seen by any fan of noir-esque tales.

It's a gripping movie. One that should be seen by any fan of noir-esque tales. It's smart, violent, and at times absolutely demented. It's absolute brilliance all around and a must watch. I give it a total score of 9.8/10-Amazing.
  13. Jul 21, 2014
    Sin City is grisly, violent, and over-the-top in all the best ways. The stunning cinematography, taught direction, and electrifying script make it one of the best modern film noirs.
  14. Jul 18, 2014
    Robert Rodriguez has made some good and bad films in his career, so one has the right to be unsure of whether to see this film or not. However, the very appealing cast persuaded me to watch 'Sin City', and I'm very glad I did. The cast were excellent, the dialogue strong (although sometimes a little cheesy, which I didn't mind) and the effects were breathtakingly brilliant.

It is

It is stylistic, sometimes funny, well-acted and all together, a fantastic film. An absolute 'must-see'!
  15. chw
    Jul 17, 2014
    Sin City was absolutely amazing! Just like the comic book, the movie's format of colour is incredible, with very descriptive narration from all four stories' main characters, who acted extremely well.
  16. Jul 15, 2014
    After watching Sin City for the first time it would be a huge understatement to say that I am excited for "A Dame to Kill For" later this year! This movie was plain awesome! Everything from the fantastic characters, the interwoven story lines and the down right jaw dropping visual style; everything was almost exactly how it should be! I can honestly say that this is the first comic bookAfter watching Sin City for the first time it would be a huge understatement to say that I am excited for "A Dame to Kill For" later this year! This movie was plain awesome! Everything from the fantastic characters, the interwoven story lines and the down right jaw dropping visual style; everything was almost exactly how it should be! I can honestly say that this is the first comic book films I have seen where the pages were not only adapted but truly brought to life! Expand
  17. Jun 12, 2014
    The sheer faithfulness of the movie to the comic book series is evident, and has my respect from before the movie even begins. The stylized neo-noir color, cinematography, and editing is added with stellar acting and an actual plot. The violence is turned into its own art form, which up until this film, I only thought Tarantino could pull off.
  18. Apr 5, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. "Sin City" is a very good movie with intense action. It really goes all in on showing how bad the crime scene is there. I especially like the narrative point of view character's in it. I also like that in the movie there are no limits in how bad the crimes really are at all. It does a great job in delivering certain items or people to be different color from the rest to point them out. The cast does a great job especially Clive Owen in his performance. Overall this is a dark movie, with violence and corruption which is what the movie is supposed to represent and they do an excellent job at it. Expand
  19. Jan 12, 2014
    Ever thought you'd actually like a movie with a heavily used up "Detective's POV" style of progression? From this century? Well think again! A surreal, visually stunning Neo-noir by the legend himself - teaming alongside the likes Tarantino and Rodriguez - entertainment couldn't possibly get any better than this.
  20. Oct 7, 2013
    Easily one of the best comic book movies is so goddamn awesome so many awesome characters and such an amazing setting worth all the moneys 10/10 so much goddamn good
  21. Aug 24, 2013
    This is a rather unique film that some will not like, but according to most everyone has loved it! It's very creative and visually looks stunning, and is lead by a strong all-star cast. We follow three 'heroes' with interwoven stories all in Sin City itself, each with their own strong points. The graphics are what make this film unique as well as the selective choice for the colour ofThis is a rather unique film that some will not like, but according to most everyone has loved it! It's very creative and visually looks stunning, and is lead by a strong all-star cast. We follow three 'heroes' with interwoven stories all in Sin City itself, each with their own strong points. The graphics are what make this film unique as well as the selective choice for the colour of blood, etc. Overall I thoroughly enjoyed it and those with a open mind should do the same Expand
  22. Aug 1, 2013
    Another breakthrough in cinema comes in the form of Sin City, a film brimming with so much drama, flare, excitement and beauty that it will ultimately be one of the defining, unforgettable and dramatic pieces of modern cinema that explores and discovers new ground, and brings the comic to movie adaption scenario to a whole new level. The film is told through various stories based on FrankAnother breakthrough in cinema comes in the form of Sin City, a film brimming with so much drama, flare, excitement and beauty that it will ultimately be one of the defining, unforgettable and dramatic pieces of modern cinema that explores and discovers new ground, and brings the comic to movie adaption scenario to a whole new level. The film is told through various stories based on Frank Millar's comic book series, the man who also directed the film along with Robert Rodriguez, and a special credit for Quentin Tarantino, along with an ensemble cast that have the pleasure of taking part in such a unique film.
    We have Bruce Willis playing an ageing cop with heart problems, who struggles to do his duty, while in another story we have a heavily make-upped Mickey Rourke playing Marv, a man on the hunt for the person who killed his mistress in the night, and he will not let anyone stand in his way, good or bad. The large cast which also includes Jessica Alba, Josh Hartnett, the late Brittany Murphy, Elijah Wood and Michael Madsen, all play very versatile and intriguing parts, and to my understanding this is more a "translation" than an adaption, as it is very close to the comics. These actors and actresses really throw themselves into the roles, particularly Mickey Rourke as the larger than life Marv, and also Clive Owen, a mysterious man helping out a town of prostitutes.
    The statement of the film and its faithful translation of the comic series is visually true on screen, when we see the graphic content and the neo-noir effect used entirely throughout the film, where it is predominately black and white save for certain colours such as blood and lipstick.
    This unique and edgy form of filming is magnificent and full of gore, with an exaggerated and out of this world form of violence. Its a real delight when a film like this comes along, combining the power of technology and of course, the imagination, to create a very singular and unorthodox film that never quits being surprising, innovative and most of all, fun.
    The film is one of historical significance in terms of its groundbreaking style of filming, but it is also well written and can be summed up in various aways, a crime film, a thriller but also a very brutal and imaginative tale, a must see for comic book and film fans alike.
  23. Jul 24, 2013
    One my favorite comic adapts. I still think its one of the best. Great black and white noir look mixed with fantasy elements. Each character almost more over the top than the next. The only thing is I thought they should have done the long goodbye last because it was strongest of the stories and the best performances are in that story. The other stories are good but nothing quietOne my favorite comic adapts. I still think its one of the best. Great black and white noir look mixed with fantasy elements. Each character almost more over the top than the next. The only thing is I thought they should have done the long goodbye last because it was strongest of the stories and the best performances are in that story. The other stories are good but nothing quiet lives up to Mickey Rourke's turn as the revenge for the hooker with a heart gold..Goldy... Expand
  24. May 24, 2013
    Spilt into chapters Sin City is a faithful adaptation of three of Frank Millers violent, but brilliantly written, Sin City stories. Shot largely in black and white using Millers graphic novels as story boards director Rodriguez has been able to create a visual feast the likes of which still hasn't been matched.

Fortunately the stories themselves are able to match the visuals with each

Fortunately the stories themselves are able to match the visuals with each of the three fast-paced and engaging chapters providing truly memorable heroes and villains that take full advantage of the impressively talented cast. An all out success just sit back and enjoy two hours of fantastic entertainment.
  25. May 15, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Comic book movies have usually been the big hitters, like Batman, Superman, and the Marvel heroes. Today is the exception with Sin city. I never heard of it, and I never knew that this was based off a comic book, in fact the menu for the DVD tells you by itself. Not that I'm judging it differently now that I know it was based off a comic, but I can definitely see nods and ideas that comics themselves would take. Sin city is the dark noir; add salt and salt, view of three people: a cop, I think a detective, and a loser; persay. Each tale is told well in their own way, showing off the grittiness of the everyday city some us walk through everyday; if you lived in Chicago at least, and is told by unique and interesting people. Bruce wills plays a cop; stop me if you heard this before, and is hunting down a serial pedophile, he does good in not making his role too extreme or boring, just the right I'd say. Mickey Rourk does an awesome job of playing the bad ass Marv, I said earlier that he was a loser, but that was only figuratively. The last I guy I don't know, he's okay he definitely sells me on the character he's trying to play, but his monotone voice is rather boring. The stories are divided well and purposely don't tie into each other, which is good so that it doesn't get confusing. I mean a character will see another one from another tale, but it doesn't mean anything. Finally I conclude with saying this is one of the best comic book movies out there, near the dark knight, but not close. Expand
  26. Mar 9, 2013
    Its on my list for one of the best movies of all time, Sin City grabs audiences in on all levels whether its humor or its satisfying style of thrilling violence. Rodriguez at his absolute best.
  27. Jan 17, 2013
    This film is extremely disturbing: the violence is gruesome, the plot is dark, and a lot of the scenes/themes are vile, but that's what a graphic novel is! Despite loving the direction of the film, I was heavily disturbed (in particularly the Last Jessica Alba scene), but while I was ringing at the horrific images all I could think was how generally excellent this film is.
  28. Jan 11, 2013
    I really wanted to enjoy this movie more than I did. It was filmed nicely, and the screenplay was adapted well. On the other hand, you could definitely tell it had a low budget at times. Acting, at some parts, was laughable. Everyone seems to love this movie, and they seem to be ignoring some flaws in its design.
  29. Jan 2, 2013
    Extreme brutality and violence, visually-arresting cinematography, and nothing short of pure genius. Remarkable crime thriller neo-noir based on Frank Miller's graphic comic novel series. Directed by Robert Rodriguez and Frank Miller, there wasn't a screenplay written for the film, and instead they approached the filming as a translation. This isn't an adaptation of a comic book, it's likeExtreme brutality and violence, visually-arresting cinematography, and nothing short of pure genius. Remarkable crime thriller neo-noir based on Frank Miller's graphic comic novel series. Directed by Robert Rodriguez and Frank Miller, there wasn't a screenplay written for the film, and instead they approached the filming as a translation. This isn't an adaptation of a comic book, it's like a comic book brought to life and pumped with steroids. The movie is based on three of the "Sin City" stories which works perfectly for a two hour film. There are big time actors in the movie (Bruce Willis, Clive Owen, Mickey Rourke), but there is no lead role so much as actors who dominate the foreground and then move on. Fully digital, live action picture incorporating a technique of colorization while filmed in black and white. To say that this is the best comic book to movie adaptation I've ever seen would be an understatement. Expand
  30. Aug 13, 2012
    Sin City, based on the graphic novels, is a thrilling ride through the dirt and muck that corrupts and influences even the most upright of men. Its visually unique style emphasizes the morally grey nature of violence and sin, when evil men often dig their own graves.
  31. Jul 26, 2012
    "Sin City" is much more than a gory, stylized flick, it actually has a story and plot and, well, everything else. Shot in a gritty black and white background with highlighted shades of red and yellow, this is one hell of a movie. And believe me, it has such style.
  32. Feb 10, 2012
    This didn't affected me too much while i was watching but after a 2 or 3 days, i noticed that i kept thinking about this and then i realized how an epic experience this movie was. I actually watched it because of Jessica Alba, but i couldn't believe it would be that good. Comments? Come on guys, if you give this movie anything lower than 5, then it is your problem. Cast is already fullThis didn't affected me too much while i was watching but after a 2 or 3 days, i noticed that i kept thinking about this and then i realized how an epic experience this movie was. I actually watched it because of Jessica Alba, but i couldn't believe it would be that good. Comments? Come on guys, if you give this movie anything lower than 5, then it is your problem. Cast is already full with stars: Jessica, Bruce Willis, Clive Owen, Mickey Rourke and even Michael Clarke Duncan bro...Noir Crime movies is not something seen common in Hollywood (i dont even remember another Noir Crime other than Max Payne Movie) Watch it and you will love it... Expand
  33. Dec 19, 2011
    While the film does start out interesting, It gets pretty old and boring the further you get into it. Also the stories are rather stupid and pretty generic, They lack interest as well. Also the acting is well below what I expected from the star studded cast. It looks good but thats about it.
  34. Sep 24, 2011
    "Sin City", a neo noir movie based on the graphic novel, is a beautiful film. It films in glorious black and white with rich story segments and artistic brutality. Simply a dazzling crime movie that has everything one craves for.
  35. Sep 10, 2011
    Sin City is, in every respect, a masterpiece of kistch. Simultaneously celebrating shallowness and gratuitousness while offering twisted spins on the themes of noir stories, Robert Rodriguez (and Frank Miller, but he is not technically a director of this film) paints a pulp art story then enjoys itself, while allowing the audience to enjoy it. Provided you have a strong stomach.
  36. Aug 14, 2011
    I loved the way the it is presented; a pulp noir thing. I never read the comic so I really didn't know what I was in for when I decided to watch this and I am glad I did. The violence is a bit over the top but it's no big deal, it acts as part of the city helping boost the fact that it's 'Sin City'
  37. Aug 1, 2011
    Ang Lee tried to make the abysmal Hulk look like it was a live comic book and failed miserably; Sin City was the one that did it to near perfection. If you take a decent comic book and a full on gynormous fan as the director, you get something different and engaging on the screen. Robert Rodriguez took Frank Millers popular comic and must have looked up and down from his worn copy to theAng Lee tried to make the abysmal Hulk look like it was a live comic book and failed miserably; Sin City was the one that did it to near perfection. If you take a decent comic book and a full on gynormous fan as the director, you get something different and engaging on the screen. Robert Rodriguez took Frank Millers popular comic and must have looked up and down from his worn copy to the camera before every shot. He found a cast that matched the books characters and if he didnâ Expand
  38. Apr 11, 2011
    I love this movie. All the story to this movie are awesome. This movie was kind of confusing at first. This movie is a very interested one. Very different from all the other movies. The storyline i really fine but confusing. I think everybody would love this movie. It might start of bored to some people. Everybody might not like all the stories in this movie but there are more than one soI love this movie. All the story to this movie are awesome. This movie was kind of confusing at first. This movie is a very interested one. Very different from all the other movies. The storyline i really fine but confusing. I think everybody would love this movie. It might start of bored to some people. Everybody might not like all the stories in this movie but there are more than one so I think everybody would find some story they like. Expand
  39. Jan 7, 2011
    Comparing three seemingly undying men trying to do the right thing in a web of corruption, sickness, violence, and revenge. Great filmmaking. --------
  40. Aug 23, 2010
    a action packed movie that feels original and is well acted . ive never read the comic of sin city but its some thing that is deffinitly different . a big cast of named actors bring this thing to life . its 3 different storys that mildly inetrtwine with each other . its bloody, gory ,faced paced , over the top , and action packed , cheesy and enjoyable.
  41. KeenanS.
    Jun 25, 2009
    One of the five best films I've ever seen, Sin City is a masterpiece of monumental proportions. The only reason people are giving this film bad reviews is because they have no taste, thought it was boring, and hated how it represented everything wrong with society. That's what the purpose of it is, it represents what is wrong with society and isn't far from reality. This One of the five best films I've ever seen, Sin City is a masterpiece of monumental proportions. The only reason people are giving this film bad reviews is because they have no taste, thought it was boring, and hated how it represented everything wrong with society. That's what the purpose of it is, it represents what is wrong with society and isn't far from reality. This film was amazing throughout and if you get pissed at films that show the dark side of human nature, then just walk away. If you actually have taste in films and have no problems with films that aren't interested in happy endings or showing a good side of humanity, then this is quite the sight. It's determined to be stylish and feel realistic. BEST COMIC BOOK FILM EVER. Expand
  42. AlexH.
    May 8, 2009
    "Sin City" is a perfect comic book adaption that looks exactly like the comic book, and keeps the audience on the edge of their seat the whole time through Mickey Rourke's performance, Clive Owen's action and Bruce Willis' suspense.
  43. R.Lopez
    Mar 14, 2009
    Sin City, how can you describe it? Well one word comes to mind. Outstanding! Sin City is a visual stunning and amazingly well made film with a cast of big screens favorites driving this film. Sin City tells three different stories from the graphic novels themselves. The first follows the big juggernaut Marv(played by Mickey Rourke, who is fantastic here.) Marv is on a man hunt to find the Sin City, how can you describe it? Well one word comes to mind. Outstanding! Sin City is a visual stunning and amazingly well made film with a cast of big screens favorites driving this film. Sin City tells three different stories from the graphic novels themselves. The first follows the big juggernaut Marv(played by Mickey Rourke, who is fantastic here.) Marv is on a man hunt to find the men responsible for the death of the women he loved. The second story follows Dwight McCarthy, a killer trying to find peace form his old life, but as fate has it he's drawn back in when a mad dog cop ( played by Benicio Del Toro.) who is trying to make a mess out of things for Dwight's new girl and the girls of old town. Soon Dwight get's caught up in a murder and a cover-up bigger than him. Can he and the girls of old town save their home? The finally and best story in the film is that of falsely accused detective Hartigan, who while trying to save a little girls life is instead accused of the crimes of another. Now it's been eight years and Hartigan just wants to move on, but somebody won't let the past stay dead. Hartigan has one last job to do, and that is protecting the only person who means anything to him. With that said Frank Miller and Robert Rodriguez tell these stories in such a way that they seem like your reading the graphic novel but in actuality your watching a film. No movie has ever caught the fell of a series of books so well before. This movies was nothing but an experiment that exceeded beyond anyone's expectation's, Sin City is without saying a true black& white masterpiece. Expand
  44. ClifC
    Mar 9, 2009
    The epitome of sadistic movies. And it was good that way. The trash, the sadism and the cruelty actually gave the film a sense to the non-sensed and nutcase plot. Extraordinary visuals too. The negative point goes to the cast with all the Hollywood stars. I'd prefer less famous actors.
  45. J.Q.
    Mar 7, 2009
    This is the kind of vile, ridiculously brutal movie made by a country that can't win real wars, and where economic failure causes its citizens to fantasize about ultraviolence. Sixty years ago Americans fought their wars with honor, and for the right reasons, but made movies that respected human dignity. We're flushing ourselves down the toilet of history.
  46. JeremyE
    Feb 22, 2009
    it looks cool, but it feels dark in an unnecessary way. the plot is so twisted that it makes the movie unenjoyable
  47. MangoP
    Jun 5, 2008
    "Sin City" is a depressing, anger-inducing headache for anyone who cares about humanity. The only thing this film accomplished is to make me loathe the worst of human nature just a little bit more. The comic book visuals could not get me to detach from its turgid subject matter.
  48. JonathanR
    Feb 10, 2008
    The movie could actually be described as art. The extreme violence was put in the way it was to portray the crooks in America. BEST MOVIE EVER!!!!!!!!!!
  49. LJM
    Jan 18, 2008
    When I saw Sin City I was blown away by the pace and style that it had. The film not only had an artistic style that has never been seen before in cinema but also strong stories as well as a great cast of characters who, over the course of the film, you care about and support as the film runs its course. The film has a deeply dark tone but also a great humane quality about it. Heres When I saw Sin City I was blown away by the pace and style that it had. The film not only had an artistic style that has never been seen before in cinema but also strong stories as well as a great cast of characters who, over the course of the film, you care about and support as the film runs its course. The film has a deeply dark tone but also a great humane quality about it. Heres hoping Sin City 2 is soon produced. Expand
  50. [Anonmous]
    Jun 30, 2007
    To say this movie is just visually appealing is wrong. Everything is appealing. This movie took me on a ride to and what I saw I was not disappointed with. Wow
  51. PaulH.
    Jun 6, 2007
    a disgusting blend of mind-numbingly banal cliches and over-the-top sadistic violence..i really wonder about those infants who find this film entertaining. It is about as original as a snuff movie and is a worrying sign of the direction Hollywood is taking. Bravo rayo for your wonderful critique...when kidnap,torture,rape and cannibalism becomes mainstream popcorn-fodder you really have a disgusting blend of mind-numbingly banal cliches and over-the-top sadistic violence..i really wonder about those infants who find this film entertaining. It is about as original as a snuff movie and is a worrying sign of the direction Hollywood is taking. Bravo rayo for your wonderful critique...when kidnap,torture,rape and cannibalism becomes mainstream popcorn-fodder you really have to ask yourself about the world you're living in. This movie really does not have any redeeming features. Sorry to sound like an evangelist but as someone who loves cinema i find sin city empty, shallow, fake, offensive and in the end plain dumb. Expand
  52. JohnB.
    May 12, 2007
    Ok, I'm a sucker for movies this stylistic. It's an utterly cliche yet original piece of visual genius.
  53. JimA.
    May 4, 2007
    This film is the perfect example of a perfect acting and directing. At first I believed that it would be one more usual movie which is totally different from the comic but when I saw it I changed my mind completely. The transfer from the comic is excellent and as fantastic is the comic so fantastic is the movie. Frank Miller remains the best!
  54. GeorgeH.
    Apr 6, 2007
    It would seem campy if it weren't so visually advanced, but the campiness combined with the CGI actually makes for an unforgettable combination.
  55. MrBlonde
    Mar 31, 2007
    This movie is awesome. I love how douchebag critics try to say this film rips of Pulp Fiction, but the Sin City novels came out before hand. Mickey Rourke should have gotten an oscar nomination for his portrayal of Marv. This film is balls on true to the comics.
  56. MalcolmM.
    Mar 30, 2007
    I'm not offended by nudity, and violence is okay if the flim has some other redeeming qualities. Sin City has no redeeming qualities. If Sin City is representative of modern comics I'm glad I gave up reading comics in my teens. Sin City isn't simply bad, it's disgusting.
  57. ZachO.
    Mar 22, 2007
    One of my top ten favorite movies of all time. Movie snobs and those that are easily offended by occasional nudity or heavy gore stay away.
  58. Rayo
    Mar 10, 2007
    If you dont appreciate and really love this movie you are pathetic, maybe you know it or maybe you dont, but trust me... you are, either that or your IQ is waaaay too low.
  59. MattF.
    Feb 12, 2007
    I've read some of the Sin City comics and Rodriguez did a masterful job of adapting it to film. And who the f.ck are the Charlotte Observer and Seattle Post Intelligencer? What does the MPAA's rating system have sh.t to do with the movie?
  60. RodneyM.
    Jan 29, 2007
    Could this movie be any more corny? The whole black & white drama thing didn't display any emotion and I've seen better CGI in a PS2 game. See anything but this.
  61. JackC.
    Jan 23, 2007
    This movie is simply amazing, word for word from the critically acclaimed comics of Frank Miller, possibly the best comic writer of the modern age, the black and white noir style is also from the comic and brilliantly used. The stories are great, the characters are perfectly developed and interesting. This movie brigs to life in an amazing way some of the best comics ever written andThis movie is simply amazing, word for word from the critically acclaimed comics of Frank Miller, possibly the best comic writer of the modern age, the black and white noir style is also from the comic and brilliantly used. The stories are great, the characters are perfectly developed and interesting. This movie brigs to life in an amazing way some of the best comics ever written and remains to be my favourite movie. Expand
  62. DZ
    Nov 14, 2006
    Quentin Tarantino's most well liked movie is The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly. Undeniably these are the premises of which this movie may be judged upon. The Good: The singular notion of a theme is the principal reason of why this movie is notable. Rodriguez struggles to concentrate on depth and heaviness in his movie's eternal soul. He pelts on superficiality rather than Quentin Tarantino's most well liked movie is The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly. Undeniably these are the premises of which this movie may be judged upon. The Good: The singular notion of a theme is the principal reason of why this movie is notable. Rodriguez struggles to concentrate on depth and heaviness in his movie's eternal soul. He pelts on superficiality rather than exploring the rigid atmosphere, the characters, and why in Sin City each of the characters is interwoven. Neither of any of these is explored. He explores confidence. Never achieving any merit with his central theme. All he centres on is his characters obsession with vengeance; other themes are not targeted. The Bad: Characters. Dialogue. Themes. Mood. Atmosphere. The painting that Rodriguez and Miller paint with each of their characters feels as if it were painted by cheap water colors that were purchased at a second hand store. Their intention with their paint and brush is to only fufill themselves with covering that blank sheet. That is what their characters are. Cheap, flat and abysmally written. Rodriguez is the only individual that is aware of how the audience is able to resonate with each character; they are never given an opportunity. Expand
  63. NathanT.
    Sep 19, 2006
    Easily the sickest mainstream movie of 2005 was "Sin City." This is a duller than dull, grosser than gross adaptation of Frank Miller's adored graphic novels. But the movie, which features an all-star cast (Bruce Willis, Michael Madsen, Mickey Rourke, Jessica Alba, Elijah Wood, and on and on), is so sleazy and frankly boring that by the end of its two hours of screen time I feel Easily the sickest mainstream movie of 2005 was "Sin City." This is a duller than dull, grosser than gross adaptation of Frank Miller's adored graphic novels. But the movie, which features an all-star cast (Bruce Willis, Michael Madsen, Mickey Rourke, Jessica Alba, Elijah Wood, and on and on), is so sleazy and frankly boring that by the end of its two hours of screen time I feel exhausted and disgusted. Not since "Batman Returns" has a director been so fixated on creating moods and emulating creepy noir settings at the expense of storytelling that is coherent and enthralling. Director Robert Rodriguez (working with Quentin Tarantino) settles for misogynistic material that is amazing for the eyes to behold. But since when has that been enough? Working with Tarantino is a major tip-off to this movies abundance of problems. I loved "Kill Bill 2", thought it was among the best films of 2004. But there is a joy to the "Kill Bill" movies; a zeal for exhilarating movie making that calls to mind the joyful destruction of "Goodfellas" and those movies actually had strongly feminine proclivities. There is no joy, no fun, and no pleasure in "Sin City" (except for people who dig seeing the 50th head chopped off or women slapped around). Even if you can look past that there still isn't much to marvel at. Worse than the triumph of style over substance, "Sin City" champions bad attitude over ideas. Expand
  64. KC
    Sep 1, 2006
    it's seriously an excellent show, and honestly a piece of art to me. The critiques that gave ridiculous scores are probably just either offended by the gore, or are too shallow minded to appreciate. It's a artfully composed storyboard with effects that were never used before, I wasn't even a reader let alone fan of the novel and I swear to god this is one of the movies I it's seriously an excellent show, and honestly a piece of art to me. The critiques that gave ridiculous scores are probably just either offended by the gore, or are too shallow minded to appreciate. It's a artfully composed storyboard with effects that were never used before, I wasn't even a reader let alone fan of the novel and I swear to god this is one of the movies I keep next to my player anytime. I would honestly give Sin City 12 points if it were possible. Expand
  65. JoshuaH.
    Aug 25, 2006
    My new number 1 favorite movie. It will probably fill that spot for years to come. Definitely a must-see for everyone. Even if you're too young to watch an R movie, just make sure your parents buy you the dvd on your 17th birthday. But then again, they should already own it by now.
  66. TylerC.
    Aug 20, 2006
    This movie was terrible from beginning to end. Unfortunately I watched the whole movie because I believed it would redeem itself There was no humor in it and the violence was offensive. It was completely awful.
  67. MiguelO.
    Jul 3, 2006
    The best movie that tells diffrent life stories throug the eyes of others who try to survive the wild life in Sin City. This movie has great fighting scenes and great effects. Robert Rodriguez really outdone himself in this movie
  68. ClarisseP.
    Jun 12, 2006
    One of the best movie ever made ! I can't wait to see Sin City 2!
  69. CharlieN.
    May 17, 2006
    One of my favorite films of all time, and by far the greatest comic book based movie ever made!
  70. RogerR.
    May 8, 2006
    Definatley one of the worst movies i have ever seen.
  71. MattheC.
    Apr 11, 2006
    I first got into the graphic novels and then took a look at the film, having most comic book adaptations being nothing like the original graphic novels I wasn't expecting to much from this...but I was wrong. Oh, so wrong! For fans of the novels this is will blow them away, the shots in the film are identical to the books (although some scenes hav been cut from it, it is still I first got into the graphic novels and then took a look at the film, having most comic book adaptations being nothing like the original graphic novels I wasn't expecting to much from this...but I was wrong. Oh, so wrong! For fans of the novels this is will blow them away, the shots in the film are identical to the books (although some scenes hav been cut from it, it is still astonishing. But they have been put back in in the Recut, Uncut, and Extended edition). The greatest film achievement of the 21st century so far! Friggin' loved it! Expand
  72. SamX.
    Apr 1, 2006
    The film has an excellent atmosphere and feel. The film-noir style which is achieved makes the movie all the more brilliant. It is a seamless adaptation of some of Frank Miller's comic books. Unless you're squeamish and can't stand the sight of blood and gore, it's a must-see. The dialogue is delivered smoothly and effectively. The film defines 'cool', not by The film has an excellent atmosphere and feel. The film-noir style which is achieved makes the movie all the more brilliant. It is a seamless adaptation of some of Frank Miller's comic books. Unless you're squeamish and can't stand the sight of blood and gore, it's a must-see. The dialogue is delivered smoothly and effectively. The film defines 'cool', not by the strippers and hard-men, but by their surroundings, the musical score, the monochorome~colour effects employed and visual style. Expand
  73. HanselH.
    Feb 25, 2006
    All style and no substance. It's as ugly and as fake as Mickey Rourke's makeup (whose story was the only enjoyable one). Definitely for geeks who masturbate to cartoon women.
  74. BobA.
    Feb 22, 2006
    One day someone will have to explain to me what use "cool" is in praising a movie. It can't be quantified, or analyzed, or particularly defined. Something is "cool" when it is "cool." That's Sin City. All the men are big gritty types with fast cars and guns and hard fists -- "cool" All the women are prostitues or strippers in various states of undress who also have guns, though One day someone will have to explain to me what use "cool" is in praising a movie. It can't be quantified, or analyzed, or particularly defined. Something is "cool" when it is "cool." That's Sin City. All the men are big gritty types with fast cars and guns and hard fists -- "cool" All the women are prostitues or strippers in various states of undress who also have guns, though require protecting by the men -- "cool" The writing is cliche, the dialogue is bad, the acting is worse. The only thing that can be said positively is that the visual style of the movie is sometimes interesting. If Sin City is the essence of "cool" then that whole concept has come perilously close to "corny" Expand
  75. ZackL.
    Jan 20, 2006
    It's brilliant! Absolutely brilliant! Please don't hesitate to watch this amazing film!
  76. JerryP.
    Jan 13, 2006
    Its an awsome movie i love the story and the look of the movie..i give it two thumbs up as they would say.
  77. JoeB.
    Jan 5, 2006
    One of the best movies in recent years. Frank Miller's graphic novels certainly come alive very well in this adaptation, and the unrealistic violence (and the people that survive said violence) does serve a purpose thematically. Brilliant.
  78. BrianD.
    Dec 28, 2005
    Probably the best movie I have seen in the last 5 years. A great take on the comic book series and the fact they used all original dialoge from the graphic novels was an added bounus. To Brian G.- the characters reappear because some scenes overlap. To t w- I watched resevoir dogs not more than 2 hours ago and it wasnt half as good.
  79. weepstah
    Dec 22, 2005
    Without question, the best movie adaptation of a comic book ever made (to this point). The section with Clive Owen is the weakest. Mickry Rourke gives an amazing performance. Not for the faint of heart.
  80. jeffg.
    Dec 12, 2005
    It was pure excellence.
  81. JamesM
    Dec 7, 2005
    Practically perfect.
  82. patrickd.
    Dec 3, 2005
    The characters are all the same, the violene is unrealistic, the story moves way too fast and never explains itself, the film has multiple and uneeded sexual refences.
  83. sarahr.
    Oct 28, 2005
    Captivating from beginning to end, the visual effects were amazing.
  84. gretcheno.
    Oct 19, 2005
    This is by far the worst movie ever made. The positive reviews MUST be a complete conspiracy of those who made or are paid to promote the movie.
  85. ChristosN.
    Oct 15, 2005
    Just amazing... I'm stunned... The cinematography is unbelievable! One of the best movies I've seen in years.
  86. SteveB.
    Oct 1, 2005
    I expected to see alot more from this movie, really i expected the best but it didn't deliver. It's hard to rate cause the movies 3 storys in one. The frist one was like having a open hart surgery and the last one was not much better. The second one was actully prity frigen good, the the hole movie was just and extened vertion of the second story I may have given it a 8 or 9. I expected to see alot more from this movie, really i expected the best but it didn't deliver. It's hard to rate cause the movies 3 storys in one. The frist one was like having a open hart surgery and the last one was not much better. The second one was actully prity frigen good, the the hole movie was just and extened vertion of the second story I may have given it a 8 or 9. The worst thing was the Narration, the main chariture narrarates his own story. Which sounds cool but then you find out they all sound like Sam Spade and have cheesy diologe. Oh and the gore was enofe to make Jason from Friday the 13th sick. If they had cut back on the crudy narration and gore it would have been grate, but these 2 things murdered the film. Expand
  87. TimS
    Sep 26, 2005
    The only really succesful comic book to film adaptation i've ever seen. I really loved the color theme of the movie, the acting was generally good (especially Rodriguez!) and the movie had some kind of feeling of originality.
  88. JoeyK.
    Sep 8, 2005
    This movie truly was a masterpeice. It was entertaining and interesting. It was gorey, but in no way simply for the sake of gore. You can clearly see the comic book in the film. It's very well done in a unique style.I just can't beleive William Arnold thought so low of it. I don't say this much about these types of stylistic, modern art type things, but this movie really This movie truly was a masterpeice. It was entertaining and interesting. It was gorey, but in no way simply for the sake of gore. You can clearly see the comic book in the film. It's very well done in a unique style.I just can't beleive William Arnold thought so low of it. I don't say this much about these types of stylistic, modern art type things, but this movie really was extrodanarily done, and it's great entertainment all the way through. Expand
  89. JonL
    Sep 2, 2005
    One of the best movies I have ever seen. It was amazingly directed and so unique. The fact that there is so many hotty's in it helps, but it was the visual aspect that really impressed me. This movie in 100% getting bought.
  90. Rick
    Sep 1, 2005
    The styleized graphics of the movie make the whole seem better. Whie the movie had no main characters it still seems to flow very well. i beileve future movies in this series will be better. A good first try but a better cast will make a better movie then what was here. The action while exciting left much to be desired except with the yellow bastard. A must see if you like any of these The styleized graphics of the movie make the whole seem better. Whie the movie had no main characters it still seems to flow very well. i beileve future movies in this series will be better. A good first try but a better cast will make a better movie then what was here. The action while exciting left much to be desired except with the yellow bastard. A must see if you like any of these directors or this style of movie but not if your looking for the next revolutionary movie. Expand
  91. DanC.
    Aug 31, 2005
    10 for style, but only a 5 for plot, yielding about a 7 overall. Didn't love it, but it was definitely original. Mickey Rourke is outstanding. Part 3 is repetitive, but then again Bruce Willis is a fine actor, so he pulled me in. Some of the violence was too much for me.
  92. DaveF
    Aug 29, 2005
    Quite possibly the definitive guy movie. Beneath the misogynistic, teenage-fantasy grime beats a chivalrous heart. It's a riveting, blood-spattered nightmare, and you've seen it all before but never quite like this. At times Sin City is too sicko for its own good, such as the scene that Tarentino himself directed (a dead guy talking out of his slashed throat) but the dialog is Quite possibly the definitive guy movie. Beneath the misogynistic, teenage-fantasy grime beats a chivalrous heart. It's a riveting, blood-spattered nightmare, and you've seen it all before but never quite like this. At times Sin City is too sicko for its own good, such as the scene that Tarentino himself directed (a dead guy talking out of his slashed throat) but the dialog is sharp and the hookers add some amusing B-movie comic relief. But wow, if your girlfriend is a feminist...just tell her you went to see Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants. Expand
  93. BillJ.
    Aug 27, 2005
    Wow! Best movie I've seen in a while. It is what it is.
  94. CodyK.
    Aug 26, 2005
    Sin City is a very unique movie. The violence is not nearly as disturbing as it is interesting; due to the stylized palette and lighting in the movie. The dialog translates very well in a comic book format, but hardly any of the actors were able to pull it off
  95. JW
    Aug 23, 2005
    Frickin Amazing!!!! A couple of bad lines and bad props (the gold eye) wont even make you flinch. This is the closest think to true piece of art I have ever seen.
  96. jefff.
    Aug 23, 2005
    Good looking but so what. Elijah Woods was in this where? Vile and bloody.
  97. Gordy
    Aug 22, 2005
    Overrated and overhyped crap. Teenage boy's wet dream, and comic book geeks will love this but those with any taste in movies will be hugely diappointed. The violence is over the top and disturbing, the whole thing reeks of misogyny and the dialogue is crap. Mickey Rourke's story is ok, but the rest of the acting is weak. Shame with such good acting talent on board too. Overrated and overhyped crap. Teenage boy's wet dream, and comic book geeks will love this but those with any taste in movies will be hugely diappointed. The violence is over the top and disturbing, the whole thing reeks of misogyny and the dialogue is crap. Mickey Rourke's story is ok, but the rest of the acting is weak. Shame with such good acting talent on board too. Comparisons with Pulp fiction are all wrong. Expand
  98. marshallm.
    Aug 22, 2005
    Visually amazing! the ending felt a little abrupt, but still, a work of twisted art.
  99. CDung
    Aug 21, 2005
    This movie gets a 3. 1 for Mickey Rourke's character, 2 for Elijah Wood's character and 3 for Miho. The rest excessive style over substance. There is no substance actually. The dialogue is horrible. The writing is juvenille as is the world of the story. Perhaps it was best left between the pages of a comic book for some kid with delusions of grandeur to take in. It is the This movie gets a 3. 1 for Mickey Rourke's character, 2 for Elijah Wood's character and 3 for Miho. The rest excessive style over substance. There is no substance actually. The dialogue is horrible. The writing is juvenille as is the world of the story. Perhaps it was best left between the pages of a comic book for some kid with delusions of grandeur to take in. It is the greatest hits of all pubescent male fantasies come to life only to die again and die some more and then he gets killed and then her and then him, now back to her and then someone else. It's killing and torture just for kicks and if you like that, then you'll love this film. Expand
  100. NickH
    Aug 21, 2005
    Amazing direction? Check. Lush, wonderful style? Check. Great, overblown comic-ish acting? Double check. Ability to make nancy boys cry to their conservative mamas? TRIPLE CHECK! This is hands down one of the best movies of the past two years. This is one of the few movies I've seen that doesn't leave me checking my watch at the 2 hour 10 minute mark. This is the movie to beat. Amazing direction? Check. Lush, wonderful style? Check. Great, overblown comic-ish acting? Double check. Ability to make nancy boys cry to their conservative mamas? TRIPLE CHECK! This is hands down one of the best movies of the past two years. This is one of the few movies I've seen that doesn't leave me checking my watch at the 2 hour 10 minute mark. This is the movie to beat. I doubt any movies - any time soon - will come along and beat this movie in terms of style or the ability to grip an audience. And until Tarantino (he didn't direct all but one scene in this - Roderiguez and Miller where in charge and did a great job) makes his next movie... no film will leave so many people whimpering to their moms about the sick nature of the film. I guess some people who see this movie - here's looking at you Brain G - don't understand that it's not told chronologically. You need a cue on the screen? You need to see: "This is part Three, which happens at the same time as part One" I guess? It's a "new classic" and deserves to be treated as such. If you actually don't "get" it... Don't rant about it. **Apparently movies need to be rated on IQ rather than age. Some people just don't get movies that are above their heads. Seriously. Expand

The most visually inventive comic book adaptation to make its way to a movie screen.
  2. Eye-popping yet ultimately thin and shallow as a page in a graphic novel.
  3. Reviewed by: Todd McCarthy
    For geeks, action freaks and sensation-seeking teenage boys of all ages, the price of admission will provide a one-way ticket to hard-boiled heaven.