Sin City

8.2

1. Aug 14, 2011
    I loved the way the it is presented; a pulp noir thing. I never read the comic so I really didn't know what I was in for when I decided to watch this and I am glad I did. The violence is a bit over the top but it's no big deal, it acts as part of the city helping boost the fact that it's 'Sin City'
  2. Jul 21, 2014
    Sin City is grisly, violent, and over-the-top in all the best ways. The stunning cinematography, taught direction, and electrifying script make it one of the best modern film noirs.
  3. May 24, 2013
    Spilt into chapters Sin City is a faithful adaptation of three of Frank Millers violent, but brilliantly written, Sin City stories. Shot largely in black and white using Millers graphic novels as story boards director Rodriguez has been able to create a visual feast the likes of which still hasn't been matched.

Fortunately the stories themselves are able to match the visuals with each

Fortunately the stories themselves are able to match the visuals with each of the three fast-paced and engaging chapters providing truly memorable heroes and villains that take full advantage of the impressively talented cast. An all out success just sit back and enjoy two hours of fantastic entertainment.
  4. SBoerresen
    Aug 5, 2005
    I really didn't want to see this at first, because of the whole black and white thing. But i saw it and i do not regrett it at all. This movie was amazing. It isn't that violent, there are many other movies which are far more violent than Sin City. Actually this movie got a 15 rating in Norway, (which is almost the same as a PG13 rating in the US.
  5. JeffM.
    Apr 2, 2005
    If I could give this movie a zillon rating, I would! It is, by far, the best movie I've ever, ever seen! I am still in chills over such a wonderful journey of a movie experience. When I was watching this movie, I knew I was experiencing something special. Frank Miller, one of my favorite authors, was all over the production of this film - and it paid off brilliantly. Miller himself If I could give this movie a zillon rating, I would! It is, by far, the best movie I've ever, ever seen! I am still in chills over such a wonderful journey of a movie experience. When I was watching this movie, I knew I was experiencing something special. Frank Miller, one of my favorite authors, was all over the production of this film - and it paid off brilliantly. Miller himself is brilliant, as the stories painlessly translated to film. I'm not kidding, this is the greatest movie I've ever seen. The angles, the shots, everything. The film is unique; I can't think of any movie that was like this. Put it this way: Metropolis is to sci-fi as Nosferatu is to horror as Sin City is to Noir. I don't know what else to say. I am so happy that Miller's vision was not screwed up by stupid executives who don't even know the first thing about storytelling. Many Hollywood films aren't so lucky, unfortunately. I don't want to end this on a sad note. I just wanna say thank you so much! Thank you for making this movie and showing me that not all Hollywood movies have to suck and only independent or foreign movies rock. I'm still on a high from this movie!!! I just want to shout to the world and tell everyone to see this movie! It's amazing what we people can come up with. Thank you Frank Miller! Expand
  6. RichardG.
    Apr 2, 2005
    Movie should make a person FEEL. And this movie made us feel. We laughed we awed, and it was good. The movie is very interesting,and will keep you glued. THIS IS WHAT MOVIES ARE MEANT TO DO; to put you in another place, another time, not of this world, and this movie acomplishes it perfectly. The pacing of the movie is the best I've seen in the last 3 years. In the begining the movie Movie should make a person FEEL. And this movie made us feel. We laughed we awed, and it was good. The movie is very interesting,and will keep you glued. THIS IS WHAT MOVIES ARE MEANT TO DO; to put you in another place, another time, not of this world, and this movie acomplishes it perfectly. The pacing of the movie is the best I've seen in the last 3 years. In the begining the movie as a camp 1920s thing about it, but after 5 minutes, all that is gone, and the story engulfs you and takes you away. See this one and have a good energetic action-filled experience. Expand
  7. DanC.
    Aug 31, 2005
    10 for style, but only a 5 for plot, yielding about a 7 overall. Didn't love it, but it was definitely original. Mickey Rourke is outstanding. Part 3 is repetitive, but then again Bruce Willis is a fine actor, so he pulled me in. Some of the violence was too much for me.
  8. KeenanS.
    Jun 25, 2009
    One of the five best films I've ever seen, Sin City is a masterpiece of monumental proportions. The only reason people are giving this film bad reviews is because they have no taste, thought it was boring, and hated how it represented everything wrong with society. That's what the purpose of it is, it represents what is wrong with society and isn't far from reality. This One of the five best films I've ever seen, Sin City is a masterpiece of monumental proportions. The only reason people are giving this film bad reviews is because they have no taste, thought it was boring, and hated how it represented everything wrong with society. That's what the purpose of it is, it represents what is wrong with society and isn't far from reality. This film was amazing throughout and if you get pissed at films that show the dark side of human nature, then just walk away. If you actually have taste in films and have no problems with films that aren't interested in happy endings or showing a good side of humanity, then this is quite the sight. It's determined to be stylish and feel realistic. BEST COMIC BOOK FILM EVER. Expand
  9. Sep 10, 2011
    Sin City is, in every respect, a masterpiece of kistch. Simultaneously celebrating shallowness and gratuitousness while offering twisted spins on the themes of noir stories, Robert Rodriguez (and Frank Miller, but he is not technically a director of this film) paints a pulp art story then enjoys itself, while allowing the audience to enjoy it. Provided you have a strong stomach.
  10. Sep 12, 2014
    Even if I am not familiar with the comics, I enjoyed this enough not to get bored. The way the story was built is interesting, all the little stories making a one, big entity. Also, the use of colors was unique.
  11. Aug 25, 2014
    Expected so much more from this one. Sin City starts out intriguing, but in the middle gets so terrible I had to actually fast forward through parts of it and fight the urge to press stop and quit watching it. The problem, obviously, is not with the graphic presentation - it's stylish and sometimes very gory. Also gotta take note of the female cast - Jessica Alba is adorable, and othersExpected so much more from this one. Sin City starts out intriguing, but in the middle gets so terrible I had to actually fast forward through parts of it and fight the urge to press stop and quit watching it. The problem, obviously, is not with the graphic presentation - it's stylish and sometimes very gory. Also gotta take note of the female cast - Jessica Alba is adorable, and others (especially Carla Gugino, to my surprise) are outright hot. (Boobs included) But a movie isn't all about its presentation (and boobs), it's also very much about the plot, and it's pretty damn awful here. The main problem are the characters and the overall goofy comicbook crap that it's based on. Mickey Rourke's ugly-as- **** character throwing people like he's superpowered, Clive Owen jumping down buildings, creepy cannibalistic Elijah Wood, people surviving totally grave wounds and some ugly disgusting yellow freak are ridiculous and just plain stupid.
    It is impossible not to see how hard this tries to be "noir". with all the black-and-white colouring, constant rain or snow and neverending inner monologues. But it tries too hard, not achieving much. What the movie lacks is a good source to be based on - maybe some detective novel, some real literature, not this comic book junk from Mr. Miller, who can hardly be called a writer.
    Only good thing is that now I know that I'm in no way spending money on a cinema ticket to the Dame to Kill For, despite its boob-cast now including Eva Green.
  12. Jul 15, 2014
    After watching Sin City for the first time it would be a huge understatement to say that I am excited for "A Dame to Kill For" later this year! This movie was plain awesome! Everything from the fantastic characters, the interwoven story lines and the down right jaw dropping visual style; everything was almost exactly how it should be! I can honestly say that this is the first comic bookAfter watching Sin City for the first time it would be a huge understatement to say that I am excited for "A Dame to Kill For" later this year! This movie was plain awesome! Everything from the fantastic characters, the interwoven story lines and the down right jaw dropping visual style; everything was almost exactly how it should be! I can honestly say that this is the first comic book films I have seen where the pages were not only adapted but truly brought to life! Expand
  13. Jun 12, 2014
    The sheer faithfulness of the movie to the comic book series is evident, and has my respect from before the movie even begins. The stylized neo-noir color, cinematography, and editing is added with stellar acting and an actual plot. The violence is turned into its own art form, which up until this film, I only thought Tarantino could pull off.
  14. Dec 21, 2014
    The film is split into 3 shorter stories. One of which, "That Yellow Bastard" is tense, gripping, and excellently directed. The second, "The Hard Goodbye" falls short, but is still pretty entertaining. The third, "The Big Fat Kill" is absolutely ridiculous and horrible. The whole experience levels out to be something quite shallow and underwhelming, and by the end, you feel like RobertThe film is split into 3 shorter stories. One of which, "That Yellow Bastard" is tense, gripping, and excellently directed. The second, "The Hard Goodbye" falls short, but is still pretty entertaining. The third, "The Big Fat Kill" is absolutely ridiculous and horrible. The whole experience levels out to be something quite shallow and underwhelming, and by the end, you feel like Robert Rodriguez is just throwing blood all over the viewer's face saying "LOOK AT IT! LOOK AT IT!" Definitely not really worth watching, unless you can find "That Yellow Bastard" as a standalone short film. Expand
  15. Apr 5, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. "Sin City" is a very good movie with intense action. It really goes all in on showing how bad the crime scene is there. I especially like the narrative point of view character's in it. I also like that in the movie there are no limits in how bad the crimes really are at all. It does a great job in delivering certain items or people to be different color from the rest to point them out. The cast does a great job especially Clive Owen in his performance. Overall this is a dark movie, with violence and corruption which is what the movie is supposed to represent and they do an excellent job at it. Expand
  16. Sep 24, 2011
    "Sin City", a neo noir movie based on the graphic novel, is a beautiful film. It films in glorious black and white with rich story segments and artistic brutality. Simply a dazzling crime movie that has everything one craves for.
  17. Dec 19, 2011
    While the film does start out interesting, It gets pretty old and boring the further you get into it. Also the stories are rather stupid and pretty generic, They lack interest as well. Also the acting is well below what I expected from the star studded cast. It looks good but thats about it.
  18. SteveB.
    Oct 1, 2005
    I expected to see alot more from this movie, really i expected the best but it didn't deliver. It's hard to rate cause the movies 3 storys in one. The frist one was like having a open hart surgery and the last one was not much better. The second one was actully prity frigen good, the the hole movie was just and extened vertion of the second story I may have given it a 8 or 9. I expected to see alot more from this movie, really i expected the best but it didn't deliver. It's hard to rate cause the movies 3 storys in one. The frist one was like having a open hart surgery and the last one was not much better. The second one was actully prity frigen good, the the hole movie was just and extened vertion of the second story I may have given it a 8 or 9. The worst thing was the Narration, the main chariture narrarates his own story. Which sounds cool but then you find out they all sound like Sam Spade and have cheesy diologe. Oh and the gore was enofe to make Jason from Friday the 13th sick. If they had cut back on the crudy narration and gore it would have been grate, but these 2 things murdered the film. Expand
  19. J.Q.
    Mar 7, 2009
    This is the kind of vile, ridiculously brutal movie made by a country that can't win real wars, and where economic failure causes its citizens to fantasize about ultraviolence. Sixty years ago Americans fought their wars with honor, and for the right reasons, but made movies that respected human dignity. We're flushing ourselves down the toilet of history.
  20. DavidK
    Apr 7, 2005
    The filming technique is awesome! The movie should be rated NC-17 (how it ever got an "R" rating is amazing). However, I am deeply concerned with the reviews and user ratings. Have the moral values of America actually dropped this low. The movie is a basic rape of your mind. Total / relentless violence and sex for 2 hours. The implication of raping an 11 year old girl - I was stunned, The filming technique is awesome! The movie should be rated NC-17 (how it ever got an "R" rating is amazing). However, I am deeply concerned with the reviews and user ratings. Have the moral values of America actually dropped this low. The movie is a basic rape of your mind. Total / relentless violence and sex for 2 hours. The implication of raping an 11 year old girl - I was stunned, they would even cross this bridge. For people to praise this movie is shocking. You can think it is "just a movie" and that I am taking it way to seriously. But, if you honestly felt "entertained" by this movie, then our society is in trouble! Expand
  21. JB
    Apr 2, 2005
    I gave it a one because it is an actual movie. There were maybe 2 good dialogue bits in the movie. The rest was trite. The violence was uninspired. The critics have been bought off. This movie is hype. Visually stunning??? "Boring" is more like it. Sky Captain was way better. The people giving this "10s" are hired by a PR firm I bet. A damn shame.
  22. SeanY.
    Apr 5, 2005
    This movie stunk. I luv comic books, and hated this movie. I feel like one of my parents saying this, but I really almost walked out on it. I thought it was real sick. I don't find people getting hurt, tortured and killed "funny" and I worry about people who do find it funny. I also think that the movie is also full of Catholic bigotry. Weird how none of the critics bring that up.
  23. JakeR
    Apr 12, 2005
    This is good? This is even a movie? The only people I see liking this crap are either the marketing/pr team behind the movie or angry male comic book dorks who can't get girls and therefore hate all women. Don't be fooled by the hype, this so-called movie is terrible. I wish someone had warned me about this one.
  24. Arturo
    Apr 19, 2005
    Awful, noisy mess witout a decent plot.
  25. Heather
    Blah.
  26. TonyG.
    Apr 3, 2005
    Possibly the worst waste of film I have seen in the past decade. A pointless plot (does "this doesn't make sense" mean anything tho these guys, sheesh). Gratuiotuous violence. If you dig gross and gore, then I suppose you and your adolescent tribe can put down your Pokey-Man long enough to sneak in and sit through this crap, so you can brag to your friends about the "sword through Possibly the worst waste of film I have seen in the past decade. A pointless plot (does "this doesn't make sense" mean anything tho these guys, sheesh). Gratuiotuous violence. If you dig gross and gore, then I suppose you and your adolescent tribe can put down your Pokey-Man long enough to sneak in and sit through this crap, so you can brag to your friends about the "sword through the eye shot" or whatever crap it is entertains you. Then, visit a therapist, since that's what is needed next... Oh. the acting was pretty good overall, and the visual effects / look and feel was great. 1.2 on a scale of 1-5. Expand
  27. MarkB.
    Apr 3, 2005
    Visually, this movie is a 10. Yet, the story is boring and trite. It does not build any great affection for any of the characters in the three separate stories. Moreover, there is no coherent integration of these discrete stories. Thus, you are left rather unfulfilled - waiting for the big payoff that never comes. The campy gore quickly becomes gratuitous and the dialogue is repetitive. Visually, this movie is a 10. Yet, the story is boring and trite. It does not build any great affection for any of the characters in the three separate stories. Moreover, there is no coherent integration of these discrete stories. Thus, you are left rather unfulfilled - waiting for the big payoff that never comes. The campy gore quickly becomes gratuitous and the dialogue is repetitive. Metaphors are great but there is no need to keep repeating the exact same one over and over again. Expand
  28. RogerR.
    May 8, 2006
    Definatley one of the worst movies i have ever seen.
  29. NathanT.
    Sep 19, 2006
    Easily the sickest mainstream movie of 2005 was "Sin City." This is a duller than dull, grosser than gross adaptation of Frank Miller's adored graphic novels. But the movie, which features an all-star cast (Bruce Willis, Michael Madsen, Mickey Rourke, Jessica Alba, Elijah Wood, and on and on), is so sleazy and frankly boring that by the end of its two hours of screen time I feel Easily the sickest mainstream movie of 2005 was "Sin City." This is a duller than dull, grosser than gross adaptation of Frank Miller's adored graphic novels. But the movie, which features an all-star cast (Bruce Willis, Michael Madsen, Mickey Rourke, Jessica Alba, Elijah Wood, and on and on), is so sleazy and frankly boring that by the end of its two hours of screen time I feel exhausted and disgusted. Not since "Batman Returns" has a director been so fixated on creating moods and emulating creepy noir settings at the expense of storytelling that is coherent and enthralling. Director Robert Rodriguez (working with Quentin Tarantino) settles for misogynistic material that is amazing for the eyes to behold. But since when has that been enough? Working with Tarantino is a major tip-off to this movies abundance of problems. I loved "Kill Bill 2", thought it was among the best films of 2004. But there is a joy to the "Kill Bill" movies; a zeal for exhilarating movie making that calls to mind the joyful destruction of "Goodfellas" and those movies actually had strongly feminine proclivities. There is no joy, no fun, and no pleasure in "Sin City" (except for people who dig seeing the 50th head chopped off or women slapped around). Even if you can look past that there still isn't much to marvel at. Worse than the triumph of style over substance, "Sin City" champions bad attitude over ideas. Expand
  30. MalcolmM.
    Mar 30, 2007
    I'm not offended by nudity, and violence is okay if the flim has some other redeeming qualities. Sin City has no redeeming qualities. If Sin City is representative of modern comics I'm glad I gave up reading comics in my teens. Sin City isn't simply bad, it's disgusting.
  31. BuzzzKill
    Apr 3, 2005
    Ridculous dialogue. Self-serving and preposterous. This movie uses every cliche in the book. It's gut wrenching watching quality actors seem like they are suffering through such a goofy movie with some of the worst lines ever written.
  32. jefff.
    Aug 23, 2005
    Good looking but so what. Elijah Woods was in this where? Vile and bloody.
  33. BobA.
    Feb 22, 2006
    One day someone will have to explain to me what use "cool" is in praising a movie. It can't be quantified, or analyzed, or particularly defined. Something is "cool" when it is "cool." That's Sin City. All the men are big gritty types with fast cars and guns and hard fists -- "cool" All the women are prostitues or strippers in various states of undress who also have guns, though One day someone will have to explain to me what use "cool" is in praising a movie. It can't be quantified, or analyzed, or particularly defined. Something is "cool" when it is "cool." That's Sin City. All the men are big gritty types with fast cars and guns and hard fists -- "cool" All the women are prostitues or strippers in various states of undress who also have guns, though require protecting by the men -- "cool" The writing is cliche, the dialogue is bad, the acting is worse. The only thing that can be said positively is that the visual style of the movie is sometimes interesting. If Sin City is the essence of "cool" then that whole concept has come perilously close to "corny" Expand
  34. PaulH.
    Jun 6, 2007
    a disgusting blend of mind-numbingly banal cliches and over-the-top sadistic violence..i really wonder about those infants who find this film entertaining. It is about as original as a snuff movie and is a worrying sign of the direction Hollywood is taking. Bravo rayo for your wonderful critique...when kidnap,torture,rape and cannibalism becomes mainstream popcorn-fodder you really have a disgusting blend of mind-numbingly banal cliches and over-the-top sadistic violence..i really wonder about those infants who find this film entertaining. It is about as original as a snuff movie and is a worrying sign of the direction Hollywood is taking. Bravo rayo for your wonderful critique...when kidnap,torture,rape and cannibalism becomes mainstream popcorn-fodder you really have to ask yourself about the world you're living in. This movie really does not have any redeeming features. Sorry to sound like an evangelist but as someone who loves cinema i find sin city empty, shallow, fake, offensive and in the end plain dumb. Expand
  35. gretcheno.
    Oct 19, 2005
    This is by far the worst movie ever made. The positive reviews MUST be a complete conspiracy of those who made or are paid to promote the movie.
  36. patrickd.
    Dec 3, 2005
    The characters are all the same, the violene is unrealistic, the story moves way too fast and never explains itself, the film has multiple and uneeded sexual refences.
  37. MangoP
    Jun 5, 2008
    "Sin City" is a depressing, anger-inducing headache for anyone who cares about humanity. The only thing this film accomplished is to make me loathe the worst of human nature just a little bit more. The comic book visuals could not get me to detach from its turgid subject matter.
  38. Gordy
    Aug 22, 2005
    Overrated and overhyped crap. Teenage boy's wet dream, and comic book geeks will love this but those with any taste in movies will be hugely diappointed. The violence is over the top and disturbing, the whole thing reeks of misogyny and the dialogue is crap. Mickey Rourke's story is ok, but the rest of the acting is weak. Shame with such good acting talent on board too. Overrated and overhyped crap. Teenage boy's wet dream, and comic book geeks will love this but those with any taste in movies will be hugely diappointed. The violence is over the top and disturbing, the whole thing reeks of misogyny and the dialogue is crap. Mickey Rourke's story is ok, but the rest of the acting is weak. Shame with such good acting talent on board too. Comparisons with Pulp fiction are all wrong. Expand
  39. DZ
    Nov 14, 2006
    Quentin Tarantino's most well liked movie is The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly. Undeniably these are the premises of which this movie may be judged upon. The Good: The singular notion of a theme is the principal reason of why this movie is notable. Rodriguez struggles to concentrate on depth and heaviness in his movie's eternal soul. He pelts on superficiality rather than Quentin Tarantino's most well liked movie is The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly. Undeniably these are the premises of which this movie may be judged upon. The Good: The singular notion of a theme is the principal reason of why this movie is notable. Rodriguez struggles to concentrate on depth and heaviness in his movie's eternal soul. He pelts on superficiality rather than exploring the rigid atmosphere, the characters, and why in Sin City each of the characters is interwoven. Neither of any of these is explored. He explores confidence. Never achieving any merit with his central theme. All he centres on is his characters obsession with vengeance; other themes are not targeted. The Bad: Characters. Dialogue. Themes. Mood. Atmosphere. The painting that Rodriguez and Miller paint with each of their characters feels as if it were painted by cheap water colors that were purchased at a second hand store. Their intention with their paint and brush is to only fufill themselves with covering that blank sheet. That is what their characters are. Cheap, flat and abysmally written. Rodriguez is the only individual that is aware of how the audience is able to resonate with each character; they are never given an opportunity. Expand
  40. HanselH.
    Feb 25, 2006
    All style and no substance. It's as ugly and as fake as Mickey Rourke's makeup (whose story was the only enjoyable one). Definitely for geeks who masturbate to cartoon women.
  41. Aug 7, 2014
    One of the most visually stunning, brutal, dark, and all around best comic book/graphic novel movies out there. "Sin City" is an absolutely fascinating world. It's filled with sick, twisted, and screwed up characters. Even each of the films heroes aren't immune to this fact. They're all unhinged in some way.

It's a gripping movie. One that should be seen by any fan of noir-esque tales.

It's a gripping movie. One that should be seen by any fan of noir-esque tales. It's smart, violent, and at times absolutely demented. It's absolute brilliance all around and a must watch. I give it a total score of 9.8/10-Amazing.
  42. Jan 11, 2013
    I really wanted to enjoy this movie more than I did. It was filmed nicely, and the screenplay was adapted well. On the other hand, you could definitely tell it had a low budget at times. Acting, at some parts, was laughable. Everyone seems to love this movie, and they seem to be ignoring some flaws in its design.
  43. Nietzschebot
    Apr 1, 2005
    Now we get to see who's who in the critics. If you want to find members of the right wing and left wing thought police, look for the low reviews.
  44. MichaelS.
    Apr 1, 2005
    To be brief.... Really cool, and lots of fun!
  45. EricK.
    Apr 1, 2005
    The movie looked great. A very nice piece of eye candy, but after a while I was wanting more. I wanted character development. I felt like the movie, and its characters were far to static and constructed. And because of this, after the first bit of it, once I had grown acustomed to the visual style of the movie, I found myself very bored and distanced from the movie. A lot of people are The movie looked great. A very nice piece of eye candy, but after a while I was wanting more. I wanted character development. I felt like the movie, and its characters were far to static and constructed. And because of this, after the first bit of it, once I had grown acustomed to the visual style of the movie, I found myself very bored and distanced from the movie. A lot of people are going to absolutely love this movie, and I can understand why. The movie is much more about style than strong, fluid narrative. Many people are going to love it for that visual style and for the gritty and graphic violence. For me, I just wanted more than a visual, stylistic feast. Expand
  46. MorganK.
    Apr 10, 2005
    Very close to a perfect adaptation/ If you don't really understand or enjoy noir and pulp writing you're not going to "get" this movie - I suppose it's inevitable that the top box office movie of the week is going to attract those who are perpetually offended and confused, but it's a shame to have them bring down the pointless-but-satisfying Metacritic score. I thought Very close to a perfect adaptation/ If you don't really understand or enjoy noir and pulp writing you're not going to "get" this movie - I suppose it's inevitable that the top box office movie of the week is going to attract those who are perpetually offended and confused, but it's a shame to have them bring down the pointless-but-satisfying Metacritic score. I thought the Josh Hartnett bookends did a good job of holding the barely-connected plot threads together (who said they had to connect anyway? I cannot fathom why so many are bothered by this) and that the film was visually arresting and the dialogue was spot-on classic noir. Expand
  47. Patrick
    Apr 1, 2005
    Wonderful movie that succinctly combined elements of morality and violence by displaying their congruencies and contradictions. A very Tarantino-esque film because of it's effective graphic displays and moral representations.
  48. MichaelB.
    Apr 1, 2005
    The visual aspect of the movie would have been enough, but the created atmosphere fuses noir and comic books in a way I'd never seen before. And, yes, Jessica Alba is absolutely compelling. Yes, I know that nothing I say here isn't echoing the sentiments of other reviewers, but I did want to counteract (as best I could) some of the negative reviews. Some professional movie The visual aspect of the movie would have been enough, but the created atmosphere fuses noir and comic books in a way I'd never seen before. And, yes, Jessica Alba is absolutely compelling. Yes, I know that nothing I say here isn't echoing the sentiments of other reviewers, but I did want to counteract (as best I could) some of the negative reviews. Some professional movie critics seem to be astoundingly bitter people... Expand
  49. williamo.
    Apr 21, 2005
    Ground breaking, gutsy, mind-boggeling...oozing originality.
  50. StarFox
    Apr 2, 2005
    About half way through the film, I suddenly switched from loving the intense visuals and style to being incredibly bored and ready for the the visit to end. An extended version of the first (and best) story would have been much better than the overlong sequel stories that lose more and more effect as they go along.
  51. Luke
    Apr 2, 2005
    The Village Voice guy put it well. The movie is fresh and interesting enough to sustain your attention, but at bottom is has no human interest, no moral or psychological realism. It is all a fantasy and you just don't care about it.
  52. JohnW.
    Incredible adaptation.
  53. MaxwellB.
    Apr 2, 2005
    I really wanted it to be good. I like Rob Rodriguez. But this movie is as bad as Once Upon a Time in Mexico. Ridiculous dialogue ("BIG, FAT KILL!).' The best performances are by actors whose parts are short (Benicio Del Toro). Great visuals a file does not make.
  54. ScottJ
    Apr 2, 2005
    Wow. What can I say. A little over 2 hours later and i'm in awe. Addicted. If there was another showing after the 12:40 am show i saw i would buy another ticket. Absoluetly beautiful!! Cinematography is outstanding. Acting from everyone, including Alba and Murphy were flawless. Script was a perfect blend, not too sappy, not predictable. It was funny, and witty. This will be on Wow. What can I say. A little over 2 hours later and i'm in awe. Addicted. If there was another showing after the 12:40 am show i saw i would buy another ticket. Absoluetly beautiful!! Cinematography is outstanding. Acting from everyone, including Alba and Murphy were flawless. Script was a perfect blend, not too sappy, not predictable. It was funny, and witty. This will be on peoples minds for a while. Round of applause for Robert Rodriquez and Frank Miller. A+++ Expand
  55. McLayneB.
    Apr 2, 2005
    Visually stunning, unlike anything that has come out of hollywood in years. Not the greatest story, but the way in which the movie is done, the creative and fearless violence and subject matter makes it a must see.
  56. VinceH.
    Apr 2, 2005
    Not the best movie of 2005, but certainly the best major studio movie of 2005 and DEFINITELY the best Robert Rodriguez movie ever, who I've never been a fan of (sans Spy Kids). This movie is brilliant and provides the type of kinetic cinematic experience we usually have to wait every 4 years for from QT. Go see it. It is definitely the best movie playing at your multiplex.
  57. Davo
    Apr 25, 2005
    For the most part, the cast and the look of the film are both perfect. However this comic book doesn't work as a movie. I'm a big Miller fan and the SinCity comics are all great, but the script is so over-the-top that unless the delivery is spot on it... the effect is lost. Brittany Murphy and Jessica Alba may look really hot wearing so little, but they fail in the execution of For the most part, the cast and the look of the film are both perfect. However this comic book doesn't work as a movie. I'm a big Miller fan and the SinCity comics are all great, but the script is so over-the-top that unless the delivery is spot on it... the effect is lost. Brittany Murphy and Jessica Alba may look really hot wearing so little, but they fail in the execution of their characters. Josh Hartnett and Brucy Willis also fall flat (They're both hot too, I guess). All in all, the film failed because human error cannot be erased and re-drawn like a comic book panel. Rodriguez and Miller's style cannot be faulted, Mickey Rourke, Elijah Wood, Rosario Dawson, Clive Owen and Benicio Del Toro were fantastic. I guess comic book dialogue and plot pacing sometimes need some changes before they are put onto film. Expand
  58. Mike&HilaryBilodeau
    WOW!!!
  59. JamesD.
    Apr 2, 2005
    On one hand the film is clearly a triumph of style over substance while on the other it is a door opening to the future. The writing needs to be better. While Miller's writing is outstanding "for a comic illustrator" - he lacks the punch of a serious noir writer.
  60. JudyT.
    Apr 3, 2005
    Could have been better. Too much violence, nudity and voice overs. Sometimes sticking too close to the source material limits your audience.
  61. Herby
    Apr 3, 2005
    A true original. Will see it again and again. Hope to see MORE coloboration between Miller and Rodriguez.
  62. JasonP.
    Apr 4, 2005
    Most creative and interesting movie I've seen in quite a while. Nicely captured Frank Miller's tone and mythical caricatures.
  63. FFenster
    Phenomenal!
  64. PJ
    Apr 4, 2005
    The first part of the three part series is the strongest, but the visuals and the world the movie creates make this a very interesting experience.
  65. TexK.
    Apr 4, 2005
    This movie was a real disappointment. Other than "the look" of it, there is nothing else. Well nothing except sadistic violence. Oh yeah, and a hatred of women. Every single woman in this movie was either a whore or a victim. I think that the people who say they liked this movie are just trying to be cool and are too afraid to stand on their own two feet.
  66. ZachR
    Apr 8, 2005
    That was a great "flick" as Robert Rodriguez would have you call it. It stayed absolutely true to the original comics. My favorite story was The Big Fat Kill, and Clive Owen did a great job with Dwight. The visual style was amazing!
  67. ArnoldH.
    Apr 8, 2005
    A visually astonishing and endlessly absorbing movie. I can't wait to see it again, and look forward to owning it on DVD so I can linger over it and appreciate it even more.
  68. Colonel
    Apr 9, 2005
    Too violent, who cares about the characters. disturbing. cool cinematography, but if you don't like the characters who cares.
  69. BigZDAWG
    Apr 9, 2005
    I thought this movie was very interesting and cool, but it didn
  70. BrianJ
    Apr 9, 2005
    I like Pulp Fiction, Resevior Dogs, etc. I don't mind violence and sexual themes portayed creatively. This film is simply flashy and trashy. It was one of the very few times I wanted to get up and leave the theater because I was so disappointed and had such high hopes for the film. Simply terrible. Only suited for those who go to comic book conventions.
  71. KarlM.
    Jun 6, 2005
    What the cinema was made for.... but why all the empty seats when the film has only been open for 2 days? Go see it NOW!
  72. IanS.
    Jun 9, 2005
    This is ART this is NEW. why can't some people get it! I think it's one of the best movies of the year.
  73. shaunh.
    Jul 11, 2005
    Boring, with good effects and unique look. A style not unlike Pulp Fiction with a set of stories that interlinked but unlike its counterpart all the stories were identical. Strong man saves distressed women. A liitle variety would have worked wonders.
  74. GiulianoL.
    Jul 30, 2005
    Fenomenal! wonderful, who gives under than 9 for this film does not like cinema. believe - me Take off the breath, a trip that if attends with fascinates and that cause giddiness (is half hipnótico, you none is loaded for history without resistance, it seems a feverish delirium), The best movie of the century.
  75. TerrtT.
    Aug 18, 2005
    People who say this movie has no depth, It's based on a comic! This movie is not ment to be taken seriously. This is one of the few movies I have seen that was 2 hours long, and when it ended it left me feeling like is was a common length film. The time passes nicely, and it left me satisfied. If you like a good simple movie to enjoy...don't walk, run and rent this!
  76. JoeyK.
    Sep 8, 2005
    This movie truly was a masterpeice. It was entertaining and interesting. It was gorey, but in no way simply for the sake of gore. You can clearly see the comic book in the film. It's very well done in a unique style.I just can't beleive William Arnold thought so low of it. I don't say this much about these types of stylistic, modern art type things, but this movie really This movie truly was a masterpeice. It was entertaining and interesting. It was gorey, but in no way simply for the sake of gore. You can clearly see the comic book in the film. It's very well done in a unique style.I just can't beleive William Arnold thought so low of it. I don't say this much about these types of stylistic, modern art type things, but this movie really was extrodanarily done, and it's great entertainment all the way through. Expand
  77. GeorgeH.
    Apr 6, 2007
    It would seem campy if it weren't so visually advanced, but the campiness combined with the CGI actually makes for an unforgettable combination.
  78. LJM
    Jan 18, 2008
    When I saw Sin City I was blown away by the pace and style that it had. The film not only had an artistic style that has never been seen before in cinema but also strong stories as well as a great cast of characters who, over the course of the film, you care about and support as the film runs its course. The film has a deeply dark tone but also a great humane quality about it. Heres When I saw Sin City I was blown away by the pace and style that it had. The film not only had an artistic style that has never been seen before in cinema but also strong stories as well as a great cast of characters who, over the course of the film, you care about and support as the film runs its course. The film has a deeply dark tone but also a great humane quality about it. Heres hoping Sin City 2 is soon produced. Collapse
  79. ClifC
    Mar 9, 2009
    The epitome of sadistic movies. And it was good that way. The trash, the sadism and the cruelty actually gave the film a sense to the non-sensed and nutcase plot. Extraordinary visuals too. The negative point goes to the cast with all the Hollywood stars. I'd prefer less famous actors.
  80. JoshW.
    Mar 29, 2005
    Probably the best comic adaptation ever.
  81. LamarL.
    Apr 1, 2005
    M going to see again saturday.
  82. babefilet
    Apr 10, 2005
    This was one of the most terrible movies I have seen in a long time. I found it sexist, disgusting, and revolting. Terrible movie. Don't waste the $5.
  83. Jao
    Apr 1, 2005
    haven't had this much fun in a theatre since Snatch.
  84. Tony
    Apr 1, 2005
    Great gun fights, and visually thrilling!
  85. LucasO.
    Very Good.
  86. CarlosE.
    Apr 1, 2005
    I didn't want to give it a ten but it is the only score i could justify. I thought of giving it a nine for the sake of appearances but it was better than a nine even though I'm sure i'll find something to gripe about after seeing it a dozen times (which i invariably will). This movie had me mesmerized the whole way through.
  87. AlanS.
    Apr 1, 2005
    You can see the Tarintino influence, but this is a near perfect "graphic novel" transformed into a movie, even the over the top narration fits the style.
  88. RodR.
    Apr 1, 2005
    I am completely stunned that this film has a rating of 75 from Metacritic. This is, without any exaggeration, one of the worst movies I have seen in a long while. The dialogue (even if you allow that it is meant to be comic book-inspired) is astonishingly awful. The characterizations are forced, trite, and barely one-dimensional. This movie was not even "so bad it's good." It's I am completely stunned that this film has a rating of 75 from Metacritic. This is, without any exaggeration, one of the worst movies I have seen in a long while. The dialogue (even if you allow that it is meant to be comic book-inspired) is astonishingly awful. The characterizations are forced, trite, and barely one-dimensional. This movie was not even "so bad it's good." It's just terrible, terrible, terrible... an unforgivable insult to all cinema, everywhere. Expand
  89. JoeF
    Apr 12, 2005
    This may be the best movie of its genre ever made, but so what? What if the genre itself is marginally entertaining, at best, and, at worst, celebrates the worst of human tendencies? Tough losers out for justice? Please. No plot, no character development, nothing, except more castrations and eviscerations and viciousness than I care to see in 2 hours.
  90. TomM.
    Apr 1, 2005
    The comic adaptation genre has a new movie on which to aspire to. That movie is Sin City. I've not read the books but I am a deep comic background and this movie was a comic come to life. Each screen shot could be cut and paste into a comic book/graphic novel. Big time Tarantino influence from the look to the music. One can only hope that this movie makes mega bucks and that The comic adaptation genre has a new movie on which to aspire to. That movie is Sin City. I've not read the books but I am a deep comic background and this movie was a comic come to life. Each screen shot could be cut and paste into a comic book/graphic novel. Big time Tarantino influence from the look to the music. One can only hope that this movie makes mega bucks and that hollywood finally finally finally realizes that the way to do these movies is to stay true to the source material. I don't give 10's very easily... that is reserved for the Casablanca's, but this was a very good movie, the top of its genre, and the creators deserve praise for putting this together in the manner that they did. Expand
  91. KeithnotKieth
    Apr 10, 2005
    The only thing that makes this movie watchable is the script. Cutting and wringing out the good moments in Frank Miller's very original comics stories -- which are mostly good noir shorts -- makes this movie almost fun. While I agree with others here that its cliche-ridden noir, that's the point...the added fun is the extreme cartoon-like violence. All of this, however, works The only thing that makes this movie watchable is the script. Cutting and wringing out the good moments in Frank Miller's very original comics stories -- which are mostly good noir shorts -- makes this movie almost fun. While I agree with others here that its cliche-ridden noir, that's the point...the added fun is the extreme cartoon-like violence. All of this, however, works much better in the books than on the screen. The "dazzling" and "eye-popping" (gotta love the critics) visual look of the movie fails on the most basic and fundamental level of what a movie should do -- that is, you are never for one moment NOT aware that there is a camera and a director. Thus, you are never fully immersed in the very intriguing world of Sin City for more than a few moments at a time. Not that it wasn't a special effects achievement -- considering that every scene and most every prop wasn't actually there, it's all pretty impressive. However, Rodriguez couldn't decide if this movie was going to be black and white, in the classic sense of the term (i.e., black, white and grays) or stark black and stark white (like the comics) or faded color (like those Fuji film commercials where they compare their film with an off-brand) or spot color (like the Gatorade ads). Ultimately, Rodriguez goes back and forth too many times, and ofttimes way too abruptly, for you to accept any of it. Individually, there probably isn't one shot that isn't beautiful -- as a whole it's like splicing Scorsese's Cape Fear together with the B&W original without telling your audience, then unleashing the havoc upon them. What also wasn't considered is that the stylized look of Frank Miller's art in the comic books allows the mind to accept certain "unrealities" that in live, 3D action just become inane and hard to swallow...much like the dialogue, which was clearly never meant to be said aloud. In the comics, this series of mini series ran out of steam by the fourth tale -- and the movie does too. This happens because some of the actors -- like Josh Hartnett, Michael Madsen and white trash poster child Brittany Murphy -- all seem to have no understanding of what they're saying...as if these people are students reading Shakespeare aloud for the first time. Granted, the dialogue is a bit thick and hard to cut through, but every line in these noir tales boils down to only 1 of 3 messages: "I'm going to die," "I'm going to kill ____," "Be careful you don't get killed." It also doesn't help that usually dependable actors like Bruce Willis, Madsen and Powers Boothe seem hopelessly out of place and that Clive Owen can't seem to get rid of his British accent for more than a few lines at a time. Big surprises in convincing turns include Jessica Alba as a teen stripper, Rutger Haur as a Cardinal, and especially Mickey Rourke as killer tank Marv. Carla Gugino as a mostly naked parol officer was a treat -- er, also because she could act. The movie would've been better served in part had they chosen to utilize the great titles of the comics. It would've done us well to see "The Big Fat Kill" plastered across the screen for that piece of the story; "A Dame to Kill For" is too good a title not to share. Of course, the way-too-obvious metaphor for the child molester later referred to as "That Yellow Bastard" worked about as well on screen as it did in the comics (that is, not at all), but it still would've been nice to see the title; it also would've helped explain the spot color of that character to those not familiar with the books (which, presumably, is virtually everyone). If a sequel comes down, it'd be interesting to see if Rodriguez learns from his missteps in this very provocative experiment in filmic storytelling. Expand
  92. Sean
    Apr 15, 2005
    This movie is amazing in both its visuals and dialogue. Anyone who calls it misogynistic or too violent is clearly permanently stuck in living in the eighties. Negative critics of the film are exactly why there are so many rehashed romantic comedies out there today. The bold risks and ingenuity found in the film should be rewarded, not punished.
  93. MeganO.
    Apr 1, 2005
    Beautifully made, visually gorgeous with plot twists that aren't too predictible.... but VIOLENCE and BLOOD and GORE prevail. I left feeling sick to my stomach, and some images are still haunting me.
  94. JamesW
    Apr 17, 2005
    Very good - the cinematography was amazing and it's groundbreaking from a visual standopoint. I went with a couple of people and discussed how terrifying the movie was - particularly the Kevin/Marv (Elijah Wood/Mickey Rourke) segments. The brutality verges on excessive and IMHO the violence is on-par with A Clockwork Orange. Another viewer mentioned that he felt the violence was more Very good - the cinematography was amazing and it's groundbreaking from a visual standopoint. I went with a couple of people and discussed how terrifying the movie was - particularly the Kevin/Marv (Elijah Wood/Mickey Rourke) segments. The brutality verges on excessive and IMHO the violence is on-par with A Clockwork Orange. Another viewer mentioned that he felt the violence was more disturbing and compelling as shot by Rodriguez & Miller than it may have been in a more conventionally-shot movie ("we're desensitized to that, but this movie is so different that the violence hits differently"). Both the women that I went with were totally turned off by the movie and felt it was too voilent. Expand
  95. ScottM.
    Apr 17, 2005
    Please - THis movie was HORRIBLE - SUCKS - Or any other negative word you want to throw in there! If you read the reviews most are talking about it's visual look! OK - you get over that and (usually) get into the movie after a few minutes, in which the cinematography/visual is supposed to enhance the plot/script/characters/etc. This is only the second movie in my entire life (35) Please - THis movie was HORRIBLE - SUCKS - Or any other negative word you want to throw in there! If you read the reviews most are talking about it's visual look! OK - you get over that and (usually) get into the movie after a few minutes, in which the cinematography/visual is supposed to enhance the plot/script/characters/etc. This is only the second movie in my entire life (35) that I couldn't wait until it was over and leave. A good sign of how a movie is also how the audience reacts when the lights come up. There were early 20 teens behind us, older people on our right and same age in front and they all had the same look of disgust on thier faces. That is how can this movie be rated R when it should be NC-17? The critics and motion picture assoiciation have no balls to bow to the Hollywood pressure. Bruce Willis should the take away thier lack of balls the same way he did in the movie. Don't fall for the positive reviews!!!! SUCKS SUCKS SUCKS!!! Expand
  96. CookieB.
    Totally Awesome!!
  97. JessicaH.
    Apr 21, 2005
    The worst movie I've seen all year. You'll like it if you're a misogynist or if you really get off on excessive blood and gore. Totally disappointing all around.
  98. elmoco
    Apr 2, 2005
    Near-perfect adaptaion of a classic graphic novel.....i don't think i will ever look at mustard again wihout thinking of Yellow Bastard.
  99. KhushbuD.
    Apr 2, 2005
    Simply amazing!!! Right from the very first scene till the end. I do sniff a sequel to this in future. But it is a must watch for those who are fan of Quentin's.
  100. eriK
    Apr 2, 2005
    No critisizing or discussing the adaptation since it was almost a flawless transfer. The only weaknesses stem from the source material then, and Big Fat Kill had too many weaknesses already. The film could only have been better in my mind if it hadn't included that story. Otherwise seeing one of my favorite stories of all time (Marv's) put on screen so perfectly leaves me No critisizing or discussing the adaptation since it was almost a flawless transfer. The only weaknesses stem from the source material then, and Big Fat Kill had too many weaknesses already. The film could only have been better in my mind if it hadn't included that story. Otherwise seeing one of my favorite stories of all time (Marv's) put on screen so perfectly leaves me without words to describe it. Expand

The most visually inventive comic book adaptation to make its way to a movie screen.
  2. Eye-popping yet ultimately thin and shallow as a page in a graphic novel.
  3. Reviewed by: Todd McCarthy
    For geeks, action freaks and sensation-seeking teenage boys of all ages, the price of admission will provide a one-way ticket to hard-boiled heaven.