Sinister

7.3

1. Oct 6, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Stupid movie, with bad actors, bad script, bad environment, a lot of advertising...
    Only to comment, the 4 people who die hanged? The branch of the tree will never have the weight to do that, never! Stupid anding too, so obvious and unoriginal.
  2. Sep 29, 2013
    0 is a bening review for this piece of mediocre and stupid crap done for the mindless masses from sinister Hollywood. The only thing it produces is lotes of yawns an ocasional laughters.
  3. May 24, 2013
    Horrible movie. Way too drawn out and not enough scares. The plot of this movie gives it a nice disturbing feel, but it is not a good horror film. I never felt scared the entire movie.
  4. Feb 16, 2013
    If you want a better take of this story, watch the brilliant 'Insidious'. Sinister on the other hand feels so by the numbers...family moved to a house, said house is 'haunted'..BOO! While it tries so hard to be scary, it just ends up being boring. Avoid this.
  5. Dec 20, 2012
    Cheap scares here! The movie is a real cliché of the horror genre. Boring, badly acted, pretentious, dull, no suspense at all. You can see the ending coming from a mile.......Ethan Hawke what a waste of talent there...
  6. Oct 14, 2012
    I was very disappointed with this movie. It's filled to the brim with cliches and predictability. It's basically 110 minutes of mostly painfully bad acting, with some snuff films tucked inside. I thought there would have been more focus on the footage, like a Paranormal Activity type deal with a different spin on it,but I'm not basing my dissatisfaction on what I was expecting. It reallyI was very disappointed with this movie. It's filled to the brim with cliches and predictability. It's basically 110 minutes of mostly painfully bad acting, with some snuff films tucked inside. I thought there would have been more focus on the footage, like a Paranormal Activity type deal with a different spin on it,but I'm not basing my dissatisfaction on what I was expecting. It really didn't deliver much on scares or creepiness for me. I always expect horror movies to be bad on some level, in fact I enjoy that aspect to them, but this....just pass on this one. I do have to give some major respect for using a Boards of Canada song, though--that was a pleasant surprise. Collapse
  7. Oct 12, 2012
    Sinister was a movie that I had happily be awaiting for some time. I really wanted to see if this movie could successfully scare me. The trailers looked good enough to convince me to drop 12 bucks and see what was up. What I got was a series of predicable scares, a villain who is completely useless, and road map for the last act of the film. If you pay attention to the movie, evenSinister was a movie that I had happily be awaiting for some time. I really wanted to see if this movie could successfully scare me. The trailers looked good enough to convince me to drop 12 bucks and see what was up. What I got was a series of predicable scares, a villain who is completely useless, and road map for the last act of the film. If you pay attention to the movie, even with one eye open and half asleep, you can see every twist and turn this movie has coming by at least 10 mins before it does. Not to say the jump scares don't make you jump, they do, but for what? This movie is advertised as a horror movie with an actual story.. and sad to say It just isn't here. The last 5 min of the movie feel so lazy I was blown away, it just sort of stops. As if the movie is saying, "I'm bored of entertaining you... go home." I won't go into detail for spoiler sake, but instead of keeping adrenaline high an going out with a bang, this movie plays it safe, and you walk out of the theater with none of the scares or really anything for that matter to remember. I really wanted to love this movie and all it had to offer, but clearly this is one best saved for catching on a random day when it hits HBOGO. Expand

1. Arizona Republic
    Reviewed by: Bill Goodykoontz
    Oct 23, 2012
    Now this is a scary movie. And, given that it's a horror film, that means it's a good one. [18 Oct 2012]
  2. Reviewed by: Joshua Rothkopf
    Oct 16, 2012
    Sinister has so much going for it - adult psychology, a great bitchfest of a marital meltdown - that you wince when it finally makes some rather dull choices involving the supernatural.
    Sinister did something I thought would be impossible: It made this lifelong horror freak abhor horror movies.