Sinister

7.4

1. Aug 10, 2015
    Every Ethan Hawke movie I seen he dies. The purge. But sinister he dies too. I loved the movie it made me try to guess and it did not let me and I paid the price by the scares and mystery.
  2. Jul 23, 2015
    I gave this movie a ten as it is the first horror movie to make the get up out of my seat and say no and begin to walk out, this movie terrified me so much, my friend had to drag my arse back down so I didn't leave the cinema and it was the lawn mower scene that did that, this film was original, scary and very unsettling, the OST was the greatest horror OST ever created, it managed toI gave this movie a ten as it is the first horror movie to make the get up out of my seat and say no and begin to walk out, this movie terrified me so much, my friend had to drag my arse back down so I didn't leave the cinema and it was the lawn mower scene that did that, this film was original, scary and very unsettling, the OST was the greatest horror OST ever created, it managed to terrify me at every single scene, Sinister is my favorite horror of all time and will remain like that for a long time to come Expand
  3. Jun 2, 2015
    This movie was one of the best horror movies that I have ever seen and I think that's because it is a good blend of a few other genres of film but on top of it all its really scary. I found myself very scared throughout this movie which is kind of a rarity for me unless I'm watching one of the classic horror films. I love the crime aspect of this movie, I think every human being secretThis movie was one of the best horror movies that I have ever seen and I think that's because it is a good blend of a few other genres of film but on top of it all its really scary. I found myself very scared throughout this movie which is kind of a rarity for me unless I'm watching one of the classic horror films. I love the crime aspect of this movie, I think every human being secret loves a good serial killer film because we are so mesmerised with how their brains work. This film has a few twists along the way and really does leave you guessing until the very end. Ethan Hawke was amazing in this film as well. This guy could be the horror king if he wanted to, I'd like to see him in more films like this. If you are a horror fan please watch Sinister. Expand
  4. May 24, 2015
    One of the very few modern horror films that manages to be chilling, thrilling, frightening, and disturbing. Great acting and a clever premise are just the icing on the cake.
  5. Mar 22, 2015
    This is more of a drama than a horror film.But the movie still has some effective "scary" scenes.The movie is kind of slow and the horror is present in the end but,the movie is pretty entertaining and Ethan Hawke is really good.
  6. Dec 30, 2014
    One of the most scariest horror movies, I have ever seen! The beginning is great, it setups a great story f the movie and the mystery starts with a lot of scares. The ending is alittle bad. But overall 90 percent of the movie is great!
  7. Dec 30, 2014
    Sinister is a 2012 slasher horror film directed by Scott Derrickson and written by Derrickson and C. Robert Cargill. It stars Ethan Hawke as fictional true-crime writer Ellison Oswalt who discovers a box of home movies in his attic that puts his family in danger. Sinister premiered at the SXSW festival, and was released in the United States on October 12, 2012, and in the UK on October 5, 2012.
  8. Nov 13, 2014
    "Sinister" 10 Scale Rating: 8.5 (Excellent) ...

"Sinister" 10 Scale Rating: 8.5 (Excellent) ...

The Good: The right blend of gore and spookiness that makes a horror movie entertaining. In most modern horror tales, the "boogie man" is far more interesting when you only catch glimpses and becomes silly and not very frightening once you see them in all their glory. "Sinister" does not suffer from this as the film's villain is kept in the shadows just enough to retain his mystery and scariness. The story is a creative one. Wrong at times, gleefully so, but still creative and entertaining all the same.

The Bad: For a few moments, the imagery was pretty horrible and that might rub some the wrong way. I was fine with it as it helped tell the story, but some might not agree. While the film strays from most cliches, it does have a few too many "jumpy" scenes where nothing really happens. Those scenes almost felt like filler and while I accept these scenes as horror film staples, this film could have had a few less.
  9. Sep 16, 2014
    Sinister is one of creepiest dangerous , criminal acts movies of the year 2012 you could tell this is the conjuring vibe you can tell by the music this is the most shocking film by Scott Derickson that i have ever seen. But to be honest its a little bit better then James Wan's The Conjuring. (but honestly nothing is better then the conjuring ) I think that this more messed up thenSinister is one of creepiest dangerous , criminal acts movies of the year 2012 you could tell this is the conjuring vibe you can tell by the music this is the most shocking film by Scott Derickson that i have ever seen. But to be honest its a little bit better then James Wan's The Conjuring. (but honestly nothing is better then the conjuring ) I think that this more messed up then Saw. But if you like Saw , Insidious then watch the horror's legend horror film ' Sinister '. Grade A+ Expand
  10. Sep 2, 2014
    "Sinister" better-than-average modern horror flick, and, while it may be similar to "The Ring" in some aspects, it's still an entertaining and scary film with a good twist ending.
  11. Aug 31, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. "Don't worry, daddy. I'll make you famous again." - Ashley

Another horror movie . I like it because is very creepy and with jump scares.

***********
  12. Jun 12, 2014
    I have to give this a movie a 10 rating. Sinister is a very dark movie, creepy, spine tingling. This is the only movie that I have watch in the past ten years that spooked me. A perfect dark story line with an equally dark soundtrack makes this movie one of my favorites.
  13. May 22, 2014
    Sinister, although maybe looking pretty tame, is one of the scariest movies of the last ten years, and is probably one of the top ten scariest movies I have ever seen, right up there with Rosemary's Baby and The Exorcist. Of course, some of the elements of the movie are a bit cliché at times, but they are overshadowed by its ability to create scares and thrills pretty much out of thin air.Sinister, although maybe looking pretty tame, is one of the scariest movies of the last ten years, and is probably one of the top ten scariest movies I have ever seen, right up there with Rosemary's Baby and The Exorcist. Of course, some of the elements of the movie are a bit cliché at times, but they are overshadowed by its ability to create scares and thrills pretty much out of thin air. Plus, the movie is bolstered by great acting and a very intriguing and engaging story. This one really surprised me, and took me to levels that I never would've expected from this genre. It is a truly bone-chillingly horrifying movie. Expand
  14. May 2, 2014
    This horror flick stood out to me, I started out with no expectations what so ever... Sinister nailed it, it really got me thinking and pondering of what supernatural means to me. Being a Horror film buff, this movie's script seems edgy, bold, different and smart. (In my opinion, of course)... I loved everything about this film! A well written script, an amazing director, Scott DerricksonThis horror flick stood out to me, I started out with no expectations what so ever... Sinister nailed it, it really got me thinking and pondering of what supernatural means to me. Being a Horror film buff, this movie's script seems edgy, bold, different and smart. (In my opinion, of course)... I loved everything about this film! A well written script, an amazing director, Scott Derrickson and Cinematographer, Chris Norr who did an amazing job Expand
  15. Apr 8, 2014
    This is perhaps one of the best horror movies ever made in a long time. The movie does not solely rely on jump-scares but more on the intense creepy and disturbing factor. However, whenever jump-scares are present, it is indeed scary! Great acting, original plot, and unique concept. A sequel must be made!
  16. Jan 19, 2014
    'Sinister' is a creepy horror movie lover's delight. The opening sequence sets the tone of the movie. Ethan Hawk's performance, as a once famous crime writer who now struggles for another best seller, is near perfect. The ambient electronic music score is very unsettling which adds to the fright factor. Amateur Super 8 film footage of different brutal murders, which are linked together,'Sinister' is a creepy horror movie lover's delight. The opening sequence sets the tone of the movie. Ethan Hawk's performance, as a once famous crime writer who now struggles for another best seller, is near perfect. The ambient electronic music score is very unsettling which adds to the fright factor. Amateur Super 8 film footage of different brutal murders, which are linked together, throughout the country over a 50 year timespan imply serial killings and run through an old film projector adds even more to the tone of the movie's creepiness. Sinister is thoroughly engrossing and a true fright fest that had me jumping in my seat! But it's the climax that's the final killer that sets this movie above many other horror films. Expand
  17. Aug 11, 2013
    This movie is awesome. The idea is commonly used but they did it in a way that works. The story is pretty simple and easy to follow but that doesn't make it so that the story sucks. This movie doesn't run on jump scares and instead runs on creepy music/atmosphere which I think they pulled off very well the camera effects like Film Grain and dark lighting give the whole movie a reallyThis movie is awesome. The idea is commonly used but they did it in a way that works. The story is pretty simple and easy to follow but that doesn't make it so that the story sucks. This movie doesn't run on jump scares and instead runs on creepy music/atmosphere which I think they pulled off very well the camera effects like Film Grain and dark lighting give the whole movie a really creepy feeling.

Overall if your a horror fan and your looking for something good, this is the movie for you!
  18. Aug 5, 2013
    I usually dont watch horror movies cause they are booring as but this one were very interesting and actually a bit scary.
  19. Jul 24, 2013
    I really like this movie, i recommend this to all people who like creepy, mysterious movies. It was pretty there were scenes which creeped me out and that's what i love about Horror-movies.
  20. Jul 21, 2013
    Not many horror movies make the jeeper creepers jump out of me, but this one definitely takes the cake. The flow from scene to scene and the dramatic sounds and camera angles coincided with each other very well. I would recommend this movie to anyone that wants a late night scare.
  21. Jul 21, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Sinister is a great horror film with some mystery in it and is keeps you interested throughout the whole movie. There is only one bad thing on Sinister. The ending. Though the film is well directed and it has its scary moments there is a bad ending which ruins the whole movie. it doesn't explain you why this all happened and how is it possible for the kids to do that things. That is the bad thing about that movie. Though it is scary and it keeps you it has a bad ending which doesn't make sense. Too bad. However you will enjoy that film and you may bricks. In the good way Expand
  22. Jul 13, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Sinister is a 2012 horror film directed by Scott Derrickson (The Exorcism of Emily Rose) with Ethan Hawke and Vincent D'Onofrio.
    The film is about Oswalt Ellison, a writer of chronicles black that, with the book Kentucky Blood, managed to get a huge success, but now his latest books have not been successful and then to find a new story that can give him the same success he had with Kentucky Blood, Ellison decided to move his family to a house in King Country, where a family was hanged on a tree branch while the youngest child was gone. While he wanders the house, Ellison is a black box in the attic that includes home movies amateur super 8 that show the death of the family who lived in that house before he and other families killed in the past. From that moment Ellison will have to deal with mysterious forces and disturbing.
    Sinister does not have a particularly original plot, indeed, one can say that it is the plot of many other horror movies, but the thing that makes this film is really nice the way it was done. Scott Derrickson proved to be a good director succeeding, so also original to disturb and scare us (just think of the movies, which displays the killings of other families) and also manages to make good use of cliches. Also excellent ending that manages to scare the viewer even more.
  23. Jun 25, 2013
    Best horror movie I have ever seen. It was so scary I had to turn the lights on! The music is particularly effective, being low bassy and menacing. The found footage is very creepy, and having no sound makes it worse. I did not even recognise Ziggy from The Wire! I only saw his name afterwards.
  24. Jun 4, 2013
    "Sinister not suffering from much horror cliches. Is actually a great horror film, that is well written, great performance by Ethan Hawke and actually some smart thrills. made me jump. Needless to say Sinister is that scary movie we all need and crave." B
  25. May 16, 2013
    its pretty good thats why i gave it a 8 its one of the best scary movies i have seen sure it wasnt that scary to me well alot of movies arent that scary to me but watch it its good
  26. Apr 16, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Although I enjoyed the overall concept there were a few things that threw me off the movie and took it down a few notches from being perfect. I didn't personally enjoy some of the overly-theatrical scenes involving dead children appearing, which is a little overdone and didn't really add anything to what the film was trying to achieve. Jump scenes (minus the dead children) were very well executed and sometimes gave you unexpected frights others were predictable. The script needed a bit of work, particularly the wife's lines. She is an English character yet everything she says is very Americanized some of her words are even spoken with an American twang (despite the fact the actress is actually English) which is quite irritating as it detracts from the authenticity of the movie. Her scenes with 'Ellison' were often quite overdramatic and you couldn't really feel much a connection between the two of them; their on-screen marriage seemed to be a (hard to stomach) mixture of love and hate. If that is what it was supposed to be, it wasn't portrayed well!
    But overall, this wasn't a bad horror movie. It's a combination of horror and psychological thriller, which to me is the backbone of a great movie for this genre. The dry humour added a little something into the mix, which was quite unexpectedly pleasant.
  27. Apr 13, 2013
    I believe this was very well written with convincing acting. Overall a good, original horror movie... well despite the whole "camera" trend these days.
  28. Mar 31, 2013
    Although it has allot of the cliché horror film elements it differentiates itself by having good actors (Hawke) and a creepy atmosphere which suggests more scary things could happen than there actually do. Maybe not a classic in the genre but certainly one of the better horror films.
  29. Mar 18, 2013
    rented this in red box not sure what it would be like... i was very suprised that it kept me on the edge of my seat the whole movie. great story and was very creepy. its been a while since ive seen a movie that creepy.
  30. Mar 15, 2013
    I saw this movie at a Halloween movie marathon in the theater and Sinister was the night's highlight. It easily outclassed the movies Paranormal Activity 4, The Awakening and Silent House i also saw that night. Sinister kept me on the edge of my chair and wouldn't let me go. The suspense was so good i felt re leaved when the dawn approached the next morning and felt anxiety at sunset.I saw this movie at a Halloween movie marathon in the theater and Sinister was the night's highlight. It easily outclassed the movies Paranormal Activity 4, The Awakening and Silent House i also saw that night. Sinister kept me on the edge of my chair and wouldn't let me go. The suspense was so good i felt re leaved when the dawn approached the next morning and felt anxiety at sunset. It's true that most scares are jump scares but that's because there is so much suspense you just automatically launch yourself from your chair. I am a mayor psychological horror/thriller movie fan and am always looking for a new scary/disturbing experience. And this movie was great enough to see it 2 times in the theaters. There was only one thing that spoiled this experience a little and that was the movie trailer. It just shows and spoils many important events so that you know what is going to happen when you are watching the movie. This is the reason i don't wanna watch movie trailers again. So don't watch the trailer. Final Verdict: I'd say this is the best horror/thriller movie of 2012. Expand
  31. Mar 10, 2013
    This movie is extremely creepy and screwed up. It is actually a good murder mystery film too. There are a few jump scares but the film doesn't rely on that alone. This is one of the better horror movies I've seen, not the best but not the worst. If you haven't seen it I recommend watching it. There was a part I physical turned away from the movie because that's how messed up it is. ThisThis movie is extremely creepy and screwed up. It is actually a good murder mystery film too. There are a few jump scares but the film doesn't rely on that alone. This is one of the better horror movies I've seen, not the best but not the worst. If you haven't seen it I recommend watching it. There was a part I physical turned away from the movie because that's how messed up it is. This film isn't for the faint of heart. Expand
  32. Mar 10, 2013
    A horror movie that wasn't bad. Unfortunately for someone whose a horror movie fan like myself I have to say the genre has disappointed in a big way.
  33. Mar 3, 2013
    I really wanted this movie to be scary...because it's been awhile since I've seen a really good horror movie. However this movie didn't deliver from start to end It just wasn't as scary throughout as it could have been. There was a lot of promise in the beginning but the ending disappoints. Would I recommend that you watch it? Sure, it does have some scary parts and it is generally creepy.
  34. Feb 27, 2013
    Despite the fact that this is a horror movie the plot is well executed. This movie was more creepy then scary but it has it's moments. Ethan Hawke is very convincing as a true crime author struggling to write another good story. The classic film projector was a good addition to the story which adds suspense to some of the scenes. Though the ending could have been better this was a good yetDespite the fact that this is a horror movie the plot is well executed. This movie was more creepy then scary but it has it's moments. Ethan Hawke is very convincing as a true crime author struggling to write another good story. The classic film projector was a good addition to the story which adds suspense to some of the scenes. Though the ending could have been better this was a good yet creepy movie. Expand
  35. Feb 24, 2013
    Very good. Happy a movie was scary. Its been quite a while. Highly recommend. Its been 10 years and only a handful of scary movies. Not saying its the best movie ever, however for a horror movie it has a plot, is scary, has a few twist, and will make you jump. This one is a winner.
  36. Feb 24, 2013
    While it may not be scary, The good plot and the solid acting by the cast makes this movie worth watching. It's easily one of the better horror movies I have seen in recent years.
  37. Feb 23, 2013
    This was a decent horror actually, one of the best I've seen in a while. The pacing is very good and it stays creepy throughout. I felt a genuine sense of dread on more than one occassion. It's in the vein of the Ring, with that kind of moody, atmospheric horror that relies on building up suspense rather than bludgeoning you with explanations too early. It leaves lots to your imaginationThis was a decent horror actually, one of the best I've seen in a while. The pacing is very good and it stays creepy throughout. I felt a genuine sense of dread on more than one occassion. It's in the vein of the Ring, with that kind of moody, atmospheric horror that relies on building up suspense rather than bludgeoning you with explanations too early. It leaves lots to your imagination and feeds it at the right pace. Very clever film and quite underated by critics for some reason. Go by the user score on this one. Expand
  38. Feb 21, 2013
    Sinister is a very creepy and jumpy film! I definitely had nightmares for a few days! If you're into the horror genre, you wouldn't want to miss out on Sinister!
  39. Feb 19, 2013
    This movie is mysterious and chilling. The very core of supernatural horror movies invoking the late Stanley Kubrick's The shinning" in it's spine tingling thrills.
  40. Feb 3, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I decided to watch this film and all I can say it was pretty scary and very exciting. The beginning was good, not too fast nor too slow and was well made up which I liked. The films which the main character found on the attic was also pretty well made and seemed realistic; the story seemed to be true. Although I was expecting more scary parts in the movie, but that didn't really let me down because the story was enjoyable. The most shocking part is the ending which I didn't expect at all. The writer finds out the missing childs killed their own family and actually they're behind the camera in the films. Soon after his daughter appears at the door and kills her family, then Bagul takes the girl into the film she just made. Most horror like films end happily, but this one doesn't and I liked it for this reason. I can only suggest to watch this film. Expand
  41. Feb 2, 2013
    A solid Thriller that will have you sitting in fear for most of the movie! It's a fairly simplistic plot but has you guessing throughout it as to what is actually going on in this house and with author Ellison Oswalt. The 'bughuul' is rather terrifying but he is nothing compared to a crop of kids that will scare the sh!t out of you! It's nothing that hasn't been done before but there areA solid Thriller that will have you sitting in fear for most of the movie! It's a fairly simplistic plot but has you guessing throughout it as to what is actually going on in this house and with author Ellison Oswalt. The 'bughuul' is rather terrifying but he is nothing compared to a crop of kids that will scare the sh!t out of you! It's nothing that hasn't been done before but there are some fresh ideas in here that made it very enjoyable to watch, but probably don't watch it alone! Expand
  42. Dec 11, 2012
    Great movie, plot is great and characters are great, first good scary movie that ive seen in a long time. But, the downfall of it is there wasnt alot of background info on how the demon came to be and why the first family
  43. Dec 8, 2012
    Sinister is one of those films that are not scary on the whole but the little bits and a few scenes such as ghosts walking around you, strange sounds in the attic, things happening on their own, which despite of being typical and somewhat perdictable, manage to give you slight scares. The concept of the film is really different and amazing but it's execution is not brilliant, at least, notSinister is one of those films that are not scary on the whole but the little bits and a few scenes such as ghosts walking around you, strange sounds in the attic, things happening on their own, which despite of being typical and somewhat perdictable, manage to give you slight scares. The concept of the film is really different and amazing but it's execution is not brilliant, at least, not to me. Ethan Hawke's performance is the one thing that keeps you connected with the film and obviously, the main storyline of the film. At some points, it all feels pointless but if we look closer, the connection of the murders is present and is explained as well. I don't know why would anyone move into a house where the murders happened and not tell his own wife about it. This seems freaky. Ethan's character is really freaky, he gets obsessed with this stuff and that's what costs him and his entire family. This film does not offer blood and gore, what it offers requires your complete attention and concentration in the storyline. Honestly, my expectations were not high and I think it's a good thing because I am completely satisfied with this movie. Not scary, but this isn't a bad film either especially in 2012, when majority of the horror films sucked. Expand
  44. Dec 2, 2012
    Definitely a great horror movie. It was not brilliant. But what it did, it did right. Genuinely creepy, good acting, story moved right along and was definitely more than the trailer.
  45. Nov 30, 2012
    if you can watch a movie without over-analyzing it and take it as what it is. . . a piece of fiction then you can appreciate sinister. movies use tricks of all sort that defy any sense of realism but we love them anyways because they are ultimately a form of escapism. hence, sinister is great film. i have become desensitised to horror but still look for that movie that could give me theif you can watch a movie without over-analyzing it and take it as what it is. . . a piece of fiction then you can appreciate sinister. movies use tricks of all sort that defy any sense of realism but we love them anyways because they are ultimately a form of escapism. hence, sinister is great film. i have become desensitised to horror but still look for that movie that could give me the chill factor and sinister although absurd in some ways did just that. Expand
  46. Nov 28, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This film is incredible, the best film I've seen all year, it takes a lot to make me jump in a horror movie and this one made me jump twice in my books that's impressive. I was a bit skeptical at first but this film proved to be worth my time, this film escapes the cliche of a psycho murderer and I thought it was quite a clever plot although I think that it was a bit weird that they have the youngest child possessed by some sort of cult and killing their family members in gruesome bloody ways. However it was clever because no-one would suspect a child who is portrayed as innocent an sane who then disappears after murdering their family and have you believe that it was a murder and child abduction case. I also thought the mask was incredible and creepy. Loved this film. Expand
  47. Nov 25, 2012
    WOW... I expected nothing of this movie... I was so damn scary. At least the most scariest movie this year. What scene gives me the most creeps especially?? the pool scene on the tape. That thing what ate the kids looks nothing alike in the other tapes. It was if he had a very long nose, whaha.. Ands all those kids in the attic freaks me out too. I have to check all of my paintings tonight :P
  48. Nov 23, 2012
    By far one of the best horror movies made in 2012. The action begins to build up right from the beginning and the suspense makes you watch it until the end. It is the kind of movie that lets you know when you will get scared, but makes sure you will still jump or scream. Even if there is nothing surprising in the story, the music and the dark atmosphere transform the movie into a spookyBy far one of the best horror movies made in 2012. The action begins to build up right from the beginning and the suspense makes you watch it until the end. It is the kind of movie that lets you know when you will get scared, but makes sure you will still jump or scream. Even if there is nothing surprising in the story, the music and the dark atmosphere transform the movie into a spooky experience. Expand
  49. Nov 9, 2012
    Ah, the creators of Paranormal Activity and Insidious bring us this well strapped together, macabre film we know as "Sinister." Now, as this film starts off we see that the family we are spectating, are moving into a new house, the father, Ellison (Ethan Hawke) Is looking to write a book based off of the dark and eerie murders that took place in just the back yard of their residence. HeAh, the creators of Paranormal Activity and Insidious bring us this well strapped together, macabre film we know as "Sinister." Now, as this film starts off we see that the family we are spectating, are moving into a new house, the father, Ellison (Ethan Hawke) Is looking to write a book based off of the dark and eerie murders that took place in just the back yard of their residence. He then finds boxes with an old film projector and Super 8 tapes. Inside these very tapes lie the twisted deaths that the previous families living in these homes met. I will start off by saying this is an exceptionally written and acted film, I felt the characters were very believable and realistic. The scares weren't cheap at all, very real and clever. The soundtrack also worked very well, as their mellow tones met well with the overall theme of the film. The only complaint I have to make about this film is how the main villain/demon Baghuul, kept sticking his face directly in the camera. I found that to be a nuisance. Overall, Sinister is a chilling, creepy 8.5/10. Expand
  50. Nov 1, 2012
    Scariest movie out there by far! This film has you thinking throughout the whole film. Much scarier than Paranormal Activity. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  51. Oct 24, 2012
    I thought the film was pretty good for the price I paid to see it. It was more eerie than scary but had a couple of "oh crap!" moments that catch you off guard. I thought Ethan Hawke did an awesome job acting as a progressively semi-crazy individual. My only complaint would be that the audience needs more of a history lesson in the origins of the demon and why He/It does what He/It does.I thought the film was pretty good for the price I paid to see it. It was more eerie than scary but had a couple of "oh crap!" moments that catch you off guard. I thought Ethan Hawke did an awesome job acting as a progressively semi-crazy individual. My only complaint would be that the audience needs more of a history lesson in the origins of the demon and why He/It does what He/It does. All-in-all, a pretty good flick. Expand
  52. Oct 20, 2012
    Quite an interesting horror film. Not typical of recent entries into the Horror genre, it is one that is more psychological than physical horror. The movie follows a "True Crime" writer who moves his family into a house where the previous family had been killed and upon further investigation discovers that this murder may have been part of a larger chain of events dating back severalQuite an interesting horror film. Not typical of recent entries into the Horror genre, it is one that is more psychological than physical horror. The movie follows a "True Crime" writer who moves his family into a house where the previous family had been killed and upon further investigation discovers that this murder may have been part of a larger chain of events dating back several decades. The first act is rather slow but necessary to the big events in the second and third acts of the film.
    If you like true horror films (not slasher flicks like Friday the 13th,"torture-porn" movies like Saw or even "sci-fi" horror like Resident Evil, actual HORROR films) this one is for you. Otherwise you'd best stay away.
  53. Oct 13, 2012
    It was definitely a decent film, it is truly hard to find a scary movie of such high caliber now a days as many rely heavily on blood and gore and cheap scares needless to say this film did in fact have its share of them. The movie is physiologically boggling and the plot and story captivate the viewer and raises anticipation and anxiety within the viewer. It is quite clever for a film ofIt was definitely a decent film, it is truly hard to find a scary movie of such high caliber now a days as many rely heavily on blood and gore and cheap scares needless to say this film did in fact have its share of them. The movie is physiologically boggling and the plot and story captivate the viewer and raises anticipation and anxiety within the viewer. It is quite clever for a film of its class and has a good amount of good scares and jump scenes and clever and delightfully frighting visuals and images. The movies though lacks a consistent base and drifts off into a somewhat absurd heavily rigidity plot which makes the reviewer scratch his head and wonder whats going on, the logic of some of the characters is also somewhat questionable and you can't help but face palm at some of the character's decisions. Another factor is its use of cliche scares such as the good old but overly used popping out of nowhere in your face scare which always leads to a good jump but not quite satisfying as you feel the plot is driven more by cheap scares. The plot is also quite complicated to understand but in the end it ends up being a rather well thought of and daring film that can actually be considered "chilling" the film never failed to surprise aside from the end and it gets a well deserved thumbs up. Best scary movie I have seen in years. Expand
  54. Oct 13, 2012
    Sinister brings an interesting idea to the horror genre, but sadly, it fails to fully flesh it out. Slowly it begins to fall into horror cliches, and what is in my opinion a very lackluster ending. Taking this aside, yes at times Sinister can be disturbing, even if the trailer shows all the scares we still jump out our skin, and as the main character begins to figure out whats going on, itSinister brings an interesting idea to the horror genre, but sadly, it fails to fully flesh it out. Slowly it begins to fall into horror cliches, and what is in my opinion a very lackluster ending. Taking this aside, yes at times Sinister can be disturbing, even if the trailer shows all the scares we still jump out our skin, and as the main character begins to figure out whats going on, it gets you hooked. The tape sequences are also very interesting and will have you thinking about for weeks. But, overall, the film just simply fails to bring anything new to the genre, with scares predictable, and to many cliches to count. Expand
  55. Oct 12, 2012
    After a once-successful author decides to move his family into a house where a heinous murder took place, things start to get weird. That is great for the viewer and bad for the family. This film is a nightmarish voyage into the past of unsolved murders and how the missing link doesn't always need to be found. The chills are perfectly timed and the pace of this thrilling horror film isAfter a once-successful author decides to move his family into a house where a heinous murder took place, things start to get weird. That is great for the viewer and bad for the family. This film is a nightmarish voyage into the past of unsolved murders and how the missing link doesn't always need to be found. The chills are perfectly timed and the pace of this thrilling horror film is perfect, weaving in and out of states of undeniable tension with little effort. Ethan Hawke is superb as the the distraught author. This isn't a by-the-numbers genre piece. It packs soe interesting surprises. And it doesn't hold back on the thrills, chills, and gore. For the most part, this is what horror should be. The flaw, and not really a big one, is that yet again a horror movie features characters that do not act rationally. Still, that's a minor setback to an otherwise perfect gem of taught horror. Expand
  56. Oct 12, 2012
    Though its previews give Sinister the appearance of a by-the-numbers fright flick, or perhaps some crummy J-horror ripoff, the end results are different, and decidedly better. Ethan Hawke stars as Ellison Oswalt, a true-crime novelist who moves his family into a home which doubles as the site of several ghastly murders. Tellingly he plans to write about them without telling his wifeThough its previews give Sinister the appearance of a by-the-numbers fright flick, or perhaps some crummy J-horror ripoff, the end results are different, and decidedly better. Ethan Hawke stars as Ellison Oswalt, a true-crime novelist who moves his family into a home which doubles as the site of several ghastly murders. Tellingly he plans to write about them without telling his wife (Rylance) or children (D'Addario, Foley). Ellison uncovers reels documenting the crime along with footage of other killings. Upon viewing the murders, he sees a common thread, which then begins to weave itself into his family's life. Rounding out the cast are a disapproving local sheriff (Thompson), his eager-to-please deputy (Ransone), and a college professor (D'Onofrio) only present via webcam. Sinister works on a small scale, but uses this to its advantage; its few characters and fewer locations provide a more claustrophobic feel to draw the audience in and aid the story's horror. Writer/director Scott Derrickson and fellow writer C. Robert Cargill occasionally allow the film and plot to resemble other genre standards (namely The Exorcist, Poltergeist, The Ring, and The Shining) but refrain from hackneying or reproducing the works that inspired them. Though some moments dip into silliness and others into stupidity, Sinister reveals itself as a surprisingly satisfying experience. Its scares do scare and its horror does horrify. Those hoping for a gore fest are advised to sit this one out. Those who want to be frightened while being entertained would do well to see Sinister. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Bill Goodykoontz
    Oct 23, 2012
    Now this is a scary movie. And, given that it's a horror film, that means it's a good one. [18 Oct 2012]
  2. Reviewed by: Joshua Rothkopf
    Oct 16, 2012
    Sinister has so much going for it - adult psychology, a great bitchfest of a marital meltdown - that you wince when it finally makes some rather dull choices involving the supernatural.
    Sinister did something I thought would be impossible: It made this lifelong horror freak abhor horror movies.