5.9

1. Oct 26, 2014
    Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow: 8/10: It was King Kong that made me fall in love with the movie. He doesn't appear himself (unlike ring mate Godzilla who cameos in silhouette in a Japanese newspaper.) but his ship and friends are there and his tree is there. You know the moss covered tree that covers the impossibly deep chasm. To one he uses to fling helpless sailors to there death like some kind of lumberjack games blood sport. There the tree is in glorious color just as I left it in the imagination of my seven-year old self.

I was enjoying myself up to that point mind you I had for one thing decided that this was an Anime rather than a regular film. (The giant robots make this illusion much more palatable as did an annoying performance by Miss Paltrow. In anime the female characters are almost always whining up a storm.) This allowed all the plot holes creative use of color and scientific flubs to fall by the wayside. I just sat back and enjoyed the ride.

Of note much has been made of the use of CGI but lets face it. It is simply easier to put CGI effects on an artificial background rather than place them in photo-realistic settings like the snakes of Anaconda: The Hunt for the Blood Orchid or the wolves in Day after Tomorrow have proved most recently.

Sure Sky Captain is far from perfect (an actual villain would have helped and been more in line with the serials it was emulating), but try telling that to the seven year old in me that kept saying "cool what's next".
  2. Sep 1, 2014
    Sky Captain is a fascinating adventure story perfect for the big screen. However, providing us with this digital illusion is not only unnecessary but hugely distracting.
  3. Jun 27, 2013
    I had not read about the movie before watching it and was fascinated within the first several minutes and continued to enjoy it through to the end. This movie's unique look and feel is its primary vehicle.

If you are looking for a sophisticated plot, this movie was not made for you. The plot and acting were adequate enough to avoid ruining the visual picture. The makers applied a comic
    book feel to the movie that allowed for softer edges and sepia tones, both with the animated sets and the human characters. If a set does not look completely realistic, the viewer is not troubled because the set is consistent with everything you see in the movie. Expand
  4. Apr 6, 2013
    There's plenty to applaud Sky Captain for; the visual design is unique and it doesn't feel as though it's been put through a rigorous test audience mill but it's incredibly dull. Best taken for what it is: an ode to pre-war serials.

1. Other than the actors, their costumes, and a few props, everything in Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow is digital illusion, and the effects are often exhilarating.
  2. Reviewed by: Todd McCarthy
    Arresting at first but gradually trails off under the weight of its hyper-derivativeness and anxiety to please.
    As an imaginative visual experience, there's nothing like it. Today, at least.