7.5

1. Nov 9, 2012
    The best movie since The Dark Knight. Craig has usurped Connery as the best Bond, and this movie comes with one of the most memorable villains in Raoul Silva, with an amazing performance from Javier Bardem.
  2. Jan 24, 2013
    Skyfall is the last movie of the James Bond saga and it was surprising, because after Quantum of Solace was impossible to expect more, although is not better than Casino Royale. The plot is very similar to other films, lots of action, fights and explosions, an unbeatable agent, a cool boss, the beautiful girl and the eccentric villain. This story only provides three interesting things; first the idea of the old dogs who are pull off the system by the technology and the modern times, which are Bond and M; second the dialogue about the rats that Silva tells 007, which is a metaphor for people who the society does not want; and third the Skyfall theme of Adele. Besides that, the plot is very unoriginal, the intro was not up to the Bond franchise and the look of Javier Bardem was ridiculous. The problem of this picture is that maybe we had enough of Bond and all the fights and explosions cannot fulfill a story. People need more than that these days. Expand
  3. Dec 23, 2012
    Bad just isn't strong enough a word to describe this film. Atrocious is closer. Everything that made the James Bond series has been thrown away, to be replaced by a washed up old man that can not even shoot straight. The film relied on tired throw backs to the classics to try and keep people interested, and convice them that yes this garbage was supposed to be a James Bond movie.

If you
    have not seen it, don't waste your money. Expand
  4. Nov 17, 2012
    Skyfall is brilliant, it truly is. The acting and portrayal of James Bond and all of the other characters is amazing. The action is gripping and exciting. The plot/story line is really interesting, there are great moments concerning the plot, like: spoilers which I won't tell you, because if you haven't seen it yet, it will spoil the film. You get to know the character's personalities very well. The special effects are very impressive. The music is some of the greatest music in any film ever. The suspense. The classic feel of the James Bond films is perfectly portrayed. The whole film is just brilliantly done, it's gripping, exciting, action-packed, it's got an incredible and classic feel to it. Skyfall is one of the greatest film of all time, if you haven't seen it yet, you have to see it, it's highly recommended! 10/10. Definitely. Expand
  5. Nov 25, 2012
    I expected a lot more from the movie. The previous movies where great but this has only a very few good moments. It doesn't follow the normal Bond franchise action packed fim. Also the tragic elements have a weird mixture. I would advise James Bond fans to just skip this movie.
  6. Nov 9, 2012
    Two men chase each other across the rooftops of Istanbul, on motorcycles, and then fight each other atop a speeding train not to mention a beautiful woman watching it all and ready to come to the aid of the hero if need be and you are in a theatre watching the 24th film,
  7. Feb 17, 2013
    The movie was good overall. However, I had to stretch my imagination to accept a gunshot by a hi powered rifle and a 3 story drop into canyon type water and survive. But I am not a gun expert so I wont say it is impossible, but the fall is definitely a broken bone (all) fall.
  8. Nov 11, 2012
    Another great Bond film that brings back some of the traditional elements you know and love from the previous movies. The chase scenes are phenomenal in this movie as well. Everyone does a good job on screen, but Javier Bardem steals the show though.
  9. Nov 10, 2012
    Bond the best movie so far. Amazing cast, Daniel Graig better than the previous 2 movies. But the film has some lazy moments like that Javier Bardem catch Bond and he escapes so easily. So I strongly recommend the movie.
  10. Nov 23, 2012
    As a major Bond fan of Fleming's books and the films, Skyfall to some is the twenty-third film in the EON films, and to others, the twenty-sixth film counting all spin-offs of the series. But in reality, Skyfall is the third film in a whole new series that began with the masterpiece Casino Royale and continued with Quantum of Solace. Together, all three of these films seems more like an opening trilogy, to present Bond in a darker light, to continue the Craig series. Check this one out. Expand
  11. Nov 9, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Wow, even after a week this movie is still quite fresh in mind. Pros: Javier Bardem, what can I say. A copycat of Heath Ledger's Joker, yet mixed in with a bit of Julian Assange and you get one of the creepiest, yet brilliant villains of all the Bond franchises. And so determined to kill a single person.

Judi really did a great job for her swan song. First time that M actually became a principal rather than a supporting, and she really gave a good impression.

Lots of sarcastic jokes interlaced in the movie. Depending on your tolerance this may be quite annoying to some but to me, the laughters in the cinema when I watched is testament enough.

This movie really came full circle of the reimaging of Bond. Daniel Craig is without doubt one of the best Bond's for the 21st century. Now you really can trace him evolving from a blunt, cold blooded assassin, to being the legend himself. You even get to see how certain characters have begun their lives in MI6 in this newer Bond

The plot was brilliantly layed out, yet unconvoluted unlike some movies that pretentiously use it as "complexity". You know what da Silva wants, but never know how it is to be implemented. Quite clever writing. And the theme of going old school, to outwit cyberterrorism is quite smartly written, going gritty ala Sean Connery days with lesser gadgets, more grit, with a few hiccups. You can also see the clash between Cold War attitudes vs. current liberalist post Wikileaks attitude as part of the theme. I didn't need to waste time recalling areas with plot holes, or if there are the escapism was intense enough to distract me.

Cons: Action. Because this movie tries to break free from QoS Bournification, it kinda overcompensated. No really memorable scenes came into mind. Part of it may come from the movie's tight budget, and it will be it's Achilles heel as action minded audiences will come out of there yawning and giving unfair criticisms. It all comes down to personal taste but come on, the old school movies that were so highly praised were not flamboyant in action too.

The third act. A precedent in Bond history as the villain..... doesn't die in a typical fashion. Anticlimactic, almost like Bane in TDKR. But at least he kept up the creepy up to the end and died with dignity. Furthermore there is a question of why he kept throwing grenades at a burning house instead of just storming in if he wants M, shouldn't more precision be used instead?

Product placement is very atrocious. You can see it in the pre-screening and some of it doesn't end up in the film, it ends up on the tie in game. Again a side effect of making a film on a tighter budget.

Bond MIA during his 3 months on a beach. First WTF was that 2 scene sex scene? Pointless. And whilsta subplot involves Bond getting shell-shocked with his work supposed to be in this movie, it was poorly expositioned. Pointless especially when he got on the 1st flight to London the second he heard MI6 was blown up. I think what Mendes was trying to do was to draw a comparison between Bond and da Silva given their similar circumstances, but this was so underdeveloped.

Bond's backstory was interesting. I want MORE, yet it was dangled out like a **** and stopped being mentioned by the beginning of act 3.

Thomas Newman did a fairly good job using older Bond music in action scenes, but Powell was better. At some point when the DB5 was blown up, the music goes upbeat as if to suggest it pissed Bond off. Inappropriate, only invocative to Bond fans, but just looks corny.

Naomie Harris is going to be a bit of a problem as Moneypenny. 1st she's a field op who thinks she can be at Bond's level. Any form of chemistry in the old Moneypennies is gone because it all hinges on Moneypenny being the (rather sexistly) damsel trying to get to Bond's heart. Even in the 80s to 90s Moneypenny is sarcastic but still charming. That doesn't work here since she can do what a field op can. Those flirty moments just doesn't work, no chemistry....

Conclusion: Superb movie, probably the best so far ,but compared to Casino Royale this one just missed by the skin of its teeth. The story is great, completes the saga, Adele was great, Bardem was memorable, but the action is lackluster, underused subplots and anticlimactic fights drags the movie a bit. It also will get shot by action-minded moviegoers interested in QoS or Rises, but for me its a thumbs up to the max. Here's to a fruitful career, Mr Craig.
  12. Nov 9, 2012
    Nothing short of excellent or, just to tone it down a tad: extremely good. As a non-Bond fan (meaning I never saw any of the previous Bond movies, just because I never really got curious about it), I feel I can recommend this to my fellow casual viewers without the faintest hesitation. I'm sure Bond fans will also find plenty to enjoy about Skyfall, but I can't venture into putting myself in their shoes, as it wouldn't be quite honest. From a casual viewer's perspective though, let me reiterate: Skyfall is very, very good.

From the superb credit sequence (coming, as it seems to be a well-established habit by now, after a pretty long opening sequence), with its retro and yet quite modern graphical style, to the not surprising but still quite well orchestrated ending, the movie has more to offer than you'd expect and is potentially well capable of pleasing different kinds of audience.

To be honest, I didn't have very high expectations about the acting, which instead turned out to be first-class: Craig positively surprised me (now I know he's much more than the sexy, hunky, ladies-pleasing figurine he is also meant to be), and Bardem was just insanely good, as if the role (which may well be the case) was tailored right on him. Dench was also unquestionably an excellent choice, and I could go on praising basically the whole cast without fear of saying anything crazy.

The story is well constructed; nothing particularly new to the genre, but it does always maintain the right pace, without holes, haste or dragging of any kind. The opening sequence had me hum with undisguised disappointment for quite a while (it's a long one), as it's basically a long, much filmic chase riddled with a plethora of unnecessary explosions and quite ludicrous "in the very nick of time" moments. Not to mention the abuse of "bloody" in the first dialogues ('cause yes, we get it's the smallest things that help create an atmosphere, but insisting too much on some will threaten to break the suspension of disbelief). This all had me strongly hope that wasn't what I went to see.

Luckily, it wasn't. Not at all. Instead, I was treated with a fine, I'd say even classy, plot served with acumen and that touch of irony that, or at least so I am told, characterises the Bond movies as a series. Even I, as a non-fan, could appreciate a few nods to the long line of Bond gadgets from the older movies, gently touched on all along Skyfall. This never being too much, nor ever too blatant or insisting, and always done with a hint of irony, made a very good impression on me. And the fact that Skyfall doesn't take itself too seriously, though managing to remain "realistic" (or let's say plausible), is in my opinion one of the movie's big strengths.

A brief mention is also due, I think, to the soundtrack. Though never stellar (and much less effective if listened to off the movie), it manages to convey all it's supposed to in such a motion picture: tension when it's the case, a little distension at the right moments, and an overall sense of adventure, but on the classy and refined side. And the same be said about Adele's title song - again, from a non-fan but rather very casual listener: job very well done.

If someone had told me I'd be so pleased with a movie choice my girlfriend made (she got to pick it this time), I would've hardly believed it. Turns out she was so right I feel like I owe her something of a public apology. So here it is, and to all other readers I can't but give the banal advice: go see it, you won't regret it. And this is especially true (at least from my perspective) for non-fans, casual viewers, Bond first-timers, and all other conceivable categories falling out of the "Bond fan" tag.
  13. Nov 11, 2012
    The best James Bond? Great franchise reboot! Music in the intro is perfect! And how wonderful chase scenes, fights, and shootings! That only is the last scene in the mansion! Great movie!
  14. Dec 22, 2012
    Good overall but very overrated! It is not something extraordinary nor bad, it's just fine. The scenery and effects are extraordinary and the best part of the movie was the adele intro. The big problem about this movie is that it is way to long!
  15. Nov 12, 2012
    Arguably the best film in a very celebrated series concerning a rugged, battled and bruised Bond (Daniel Craig) who must put his personal troubles and professional insecurities aside in order to help his agency, MI6, from a threatening ex-agent (Javier Bardem) and his mission to destroy it. The most personal and darkest Bond film ever made is also its best, as the film is not only Craig's finest two hours of acting (which is not meant to be an insult, as he is a talented actor), but it also makes self-referential jabs that come across as refreshing and humorous. Director Sam Mendes strikes a delicate balance of making fun of the old films at times, but also finding a way to honor the history of the series while in the same turn reinventing it going forward as a more serious, adult series. No easy task, but he passes with flying colors, with an final scene which could not be more perfectly executed. Expand
  16. Nov 16, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Overall, Skyfall was enjoyable, visually stunning at times, and Daniel Craig continues to be a top-notch Bond. All of that being said, I was a little let down plot wise. I really, really liked Javier Bardem's character but was constantly disappointed with how the script played out his actions. He's a supposed cyber genius, and his mastermind plot was (at one point) to enter a major courthouse dressed as a cop and shoot it up with a glock and two goons? Also, I loved the idea of his character revealing 5 new agents a week (similar to the Joker's plan in the Dark Knight when he killed someone every day) but this part of the story was dropped completely! By the end, the townhouse "Homealone-esch" showdown really seemed forced to me. I like the idea of disarming Bond and leaving him with only a knife, a pistol, and his creativity but I really didn't understand why they couldn't at least call in for some undercover backup at the farmhouse and overall it just seemed like a pretty sketchy plan considering it was crafted by the head of M16 and one of her best agents...I went into this movie just wanting to enjoy a good Bond flick and ultimately I would say I did but throughout I was scratching my head at some of the plot choice and by the end couldn't help but feel a little letdown. Expand
  17. Nov 9, 2012
    007 movies were always solid, that does exactly the same.
  18. Nov 12, 2012
    Despite it's flaws, which were a tad too straight-forward plot as well as a few cliches, Skyfall was a fun, adventurous film that was well put-together and delivered as what all Bond movies were meant to be--a popcorn flick with oodles of action. Although perhaps the most indulgent treat it offers is the performance by Javier Bardem, who played his deranged, psychotic role to near perfection.
  19. Nov 9, 2012
    A really well done film, with a corny "Home Alone" ending. Had a great mix of classic 'Bond' elements with a modern variation. I particularly enjoyed Q, though the lack of a bond girl was a bit of a let down. Overall, highly recommended but not a perfect 10.
  20. Nov 9, 2012
    I've seen most of the Bond movies over the years, and this is probably among the best (at least as good as "Casino Royale," on par with "From Russia With Love" and "Goldfinger.") Moreover, it is a study in what makes Bond a true hero: not the women, not the luxuries, but "for Queen and Country" to the bitter end (and beyond).
  21. Nov 10, 2012
    Visually stunning, each actor/actress brings needed depth to the franchise. This is the best bond film ever and Daniel Craig firmly places himself at the head of the line as the most convincing Bond. Adding Finnes to the film was a stroke of genius. Most importantly, though, the writing in this film is tight and gritty lending authenticity to this installment. If you don't like this film you should have your head examined. Enough said. Expand
  22. Nov 10, 2012
    Best bond film yet. Pays tribute to all of the other ones with a game change in plot and action. Unpredictable, dramatic, fresh, and nostalgic at the same time. Great movie!
  23. Nov 10, 2012
    One of the best Bond films ever! It will stand with classics such as Goldfinger, Dr No and From Russia with Love. This movie transitions Danial Craig's rough around the edges, pre Sean Connery's Bond, that we saw in his first two Bond movies to the suave Bond of Flemming. If you are a Bond fan this is a must see, if you are not it is still worth seeing as an action movie with pleanty of chases and things getting blown up. Expand
  24. Nov 11, 2012
    This was just a simply amazing bond film. Sam Mendes we need you back for the next installment. The writing, cinematography and acting was to perfection.
  25. Nov 11, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Definitely!, not that expect many people! Slow tempo,usual scenario and not have powerful ending! if wasn't Javier bardem the value of movie would have fallen much more! Expand
  26. Nov 11, 2012
    In my opinion, this is pretty much the best Bond movie so far in this millennium.
    Casino Royale had way too much bashing and crashing, making it a basic action movie.
    This time 007 bangs less chicks, kills less men and faces his midlife crisis. They really did do a good job on making the story more dramatic and still keeping the action along. Really, give it a shot.
  27. Nov 13, 2012
    Like Casino Royale, this Bond film feels more like a movie-movie than a Bond-movie. It's more gritty and personal than the pre-Craig era. The character development is very noticeable and is continued from the previous Craig-films, something which is new and refreshing in the Bond series. However, all this realism make the classic one-liner remarks feel unfunny and forced. The action, though ever present, feels toned-downed and may disappoint those seeking Brosnan-era battle-scenes. This is not "classic Bond" in the cinematic sense, but it's still a damn good film with top-notch acting. Expand
  28. Nov 18, 2012
    This review contains spoilers. I went into this movie expecting "the best bond movie yet" and what I got was far from that. The story line is horrid and for most of the story to even take place we have to accept that even though the characters are supposed to be the best and brightest England has to offer, they make some of the worst choices possible. 1.) The British government compiles a list of every nations undercover agents real names, puts said list on a laptop that some how finds it's way to Istanbul. - Really? MI6 is smart enough acquire that information but dumb enough to put it on a laptop and let it get out in the open? 2.) The villain is introduced as a genius computer hacker with some brilliant strategic skills. This might be true in the very beginning but quickly disappears. Rather than just shoot Bond and be rid of him, he blows a hole in the ceiling so that a subway train will coming crashing in and maybe kill Bond. - I thought we were past the days of "let's try to kill him with some crazy method where we don't actually see him die". Because that method works so well.... 3.) Q claims to also be a genius with computers but then he goes and connects the villain's laptop to their network which just so happens to also be running the security system. - Worst part of the movie for me was this moment because the second they connect his laptop you already know it'll have some "virus" that takes everything down in a matter of seconds thus freeing the villain.

Save yourself the time and money, go see something else.
  29. Nov 22, 2012
    If you thought that after Casino Royale that the Bond franchise couldn't get much better, you are in for an excellent surprise. Director Sam Mendes brings Bond back to his roots almost perfectly with the benefit of a script that will keep you guessing and loads of nostalgia that will make fans of the 50 year-old franchise freak out. If you are a Bond fan, this is a must see and if you like movies in general, than this is worth checking out. Usually we find 007 dealing with an international crisis or a large scale terrorist organization of some sort. However, Skyfall is alot more personal which is probably the film's greatest aspect as it allows the audience to feel the tension between the characters as opposed to watching Bond take on random bad guys whom mean nothing to him but people who pose a threat and need to be taken care of. Craig, Dench and Bardem deserve credit for their performances as they are the reason why Skyfall is so captivating to watch in the first place. Although the team of Purvis, Wade and Logan deserve just as much credit as the actors and the director who made everything fit together as perfectly as it did. There isn't a single dull moment in the whole movie. I believe this is the best Bond to date because none of the other films manage to organize everything into a perfect blend of dramatic and action-packed thrills as this one does. Expand
  30. Nov 24, 2012
    This film is astounding. The acting is amazing, and it just feels like you are in this film. It's not all just shooting and running the entire time, and it just shows you how a real secret agent like James Bond is. People will just be sitting on the edge of their seat throughout this whole film. This film should be seen for all the Bond fans and people just looking for a film to watch.
  31. Nov 25, 2012
    Yikes! I actually joined this 'metacritic' forum just so I can ask this question: Did everyone who gave this movie a good review watch the same movie I did? Is something going on here? Bad, bad movie. I dislike wasting my money. Thank goodness I went to a discount theater.
  32. Dec 3, 2012
    Skyfall's greatest failure? Depicting James Bond as both a physical and emotional cripple. I go to see a Bond movie because I want to see Bond kicking ass, while sipping a martini, with bikini-glad girls at his side. I do not go to see a Bond movie to witness a midlife crisis and angst.

This is the worst Bond movie ever made. Don't believe the hype. The reason this film has the most
    hype out of any Bond movie ever released is because it is horrendous and they need to make their money before negative word of mouth sinks it. Expand
  33. Dec 2, 2012
    I like most Bond fans was looking forward to this latest installment, but was left bewildered and disappointed. Yes I know that with these type of films one shouldn't analyze too much and just enjoy the escapism from reality. Seriously this film had so many flaws and just plain stupid moments that just belied belief. If your going to go with a new direction when making a Bond movie wouldn't you make it edgy and different. This was just plain dumb. I sat in Gold Class and couldn't wait for it to be over. What a shame. Expand
  34. Dec 13, 2012
    What a disappointment . I loved the last two Bonds but this was very poor .Found myself looking at my watch in the cinema wishing it would end . I was tempted to leave when we got to the HOME ALONE parody at the end . Stupid villains just kept on coming despite 90% casualties ,meanwhile Mand a dreadful Albert Finney decided to use a torch on the not very dark moores so the villains could easily find them . Perhaps the most puzzling aspect was the assassination in Shanghai .The bad guys had their victim in a room at the top of a building .Do they shoot him ,strangle him or knife him . No ; they get a world class assassin to go up the next building ,drill through armoured glass and then kill him with a sniper rifle .leaving them yo dispose of the body . On top of this rediculous scenario ,they paid him a huge amount of money . the film ambled along in this fashion interminably . PLEASE DONT GIVE MENDES ANOTHER GO . Expand
  35. Dec 15, 2012
    Good but not the best Bond. I'm a big fan of Craig's Bond & Casino Royale is still my favourite Bond film, with this dragging behind it. The film had its moments & had a great pace. Fiennes character was introduced well & the mother & son relationship between Bond & M was very good.
  36. Mar 14, 2013
    Lashing, dashing, breathtaking, powerful. Best Bond Ever. Skyfall is a mesmerizing movie, it's the first 2 minutes that grasp you in the movie. Bond movies such as On Her Majesty Service has been very well compelled and also compared to the new effects in the film. Javier Bardem is my favorite Bond villain first I was a Gert Frobe person but now that has changed after Bardem entered Bond films. The Climax was amazing and sad. Skyfall is both a fall and a rise. Expand
  37. Feb 20, 2013
    Best Bond-movie of Daniel Craig and maybe even the best Bond-movie since Roger Moore's. I like the "back to the roots" romantic and that the plot plays a lot in Great Britain.
  38. Feb 21, 2013
    Worst Bond movie ever. Hopeless plot, a super hacker cyber terrorist who doesn't possess a computer or computer lab. The Bad Guy is a sad fairy with no menace. The end burning house scene with geriatrics taking out 'assassins' is laughable. Weapon skills throughout are pathetic tech directors need to learn from 'Heat' or 'Shooter'. New Q is terrible, Moneypenny is equally bad. About time they gave Bond a man's weapon and a waistband holster. Only good points are that the awful Dench (M) gets wasted, new M is the business. Such a let down after Craig's first Bond movies.The scenes are a joke, this supposedly super meticulous bad guy on his way to wipe out MI6 gets on the tube train at the wrong end and has to walk through the carriages people get on the right tube carriage when they go to work! everyday. Expand
  39. May 19, 2013
    skyfall makes a good impression as a James bond movie it has all the qualities of being a good movie you have the picture the lightening the costumes and the fact that it is not memorable.
    the first thing you notice about it is the good music from the start to the end and second thing is the great action car chasing ect.....
    it's basically an entertainment for 2 hours and one of
    the best in the series.
    however there have to be a negative side which is the advertisement let me guess watches cars and suites and i actually lost tracks of how many times they did this but overall great movie.
  40. Mar 24, 2013
    This James Bond entry is very different from any other James Bond movie ever made. It really takes you to the inner depths of James Bond. Yet it is still everyting James Bond should be. Exciting, action pack and sexy. It is also at times with Javier Bardem, suspenseful. And the ending is truly surprising. Overall, it's still an action-packed thrill ride, just done a lot better than any of them.
  41. Nov 12, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I enjoyed the film, though I would have loved to have seen more of the primary bond girl. Only Casino Royale figured out how to feature a bond girl the way they did it with Eva Green. My primary criticism was that of the group setting up the house at Skyfall for the "uninvited guests" - seemed like a remake of the original Home Alone. That sequence pulled me out of the Bond universe for the first time in the film. I had fun with the movie - better than Quantum of Solace, not as good as Casino Royale (but that is a very high bar). Expand
  42. Dec 22, 2012
    "Skyfall", the latest entry into the long line of 007 thrillers is a disappointment to not only Bond fans but moviegoers in general. Directed by Sam Mendes the film stars Daniel Craig, Judi Dench, Javier Bardem and Naomi Harris in this dark, ill conceived and frankly, but for extraordinary special effects, boring film. To paraphrase Lloyd Benson in his famous admonition of Dan Quayle, "Mr. Craig, I've seen Sean Connery as Bond and you're no Sean Connery". Ian Fleming's concept of a spy with a flair for the playful, humorous and witty engagements as he saves the world from various evils is the thing the writers of this latest film fail to get or understand. The film as a screenplay, is neither plausible in its plot scenes nor is it clever in its execution. The Harry Saltzman/Albert Broccoli formula these two geniuses developed over the years and throughout the history of this epic franchise are lost in this movie and the casting of Mr. Craig still continues to amaze me. As fine an actor as he is, Mr. Craig just doesn't fit the mold that Messrs. Connery, Moore and Brosnahan were able to cast. This is a problem which frequently arises when an actor and the character they portray in sequel after sequel become so embedded in the minds of the audience that to separate one often harms the other. Basil Rathbone will always be the real Sherlock Holmes, George Sanders will always be the real Falcon (even tho his brother, Tom Conway, tried to fill his shoes) and, alas for Mr. Craig and the owners of the franchise, the same fate seems to be befalling them as well. I give the film a 5.0 rating for its special effects and the chance to hear Adele sing the background song. Beyond that it seems that more than the "sky" fell in the ratings for this film. Expand
  43. BKM
    Apr 4, 2013
    I've never been a big fan of the James Bond series, so my review of the film is biased right from the get go. Still I was a bit surprised at what Sam Mendes had to offer up at the helm of the latest entry. Skyfall finds 007 trying to find his place in a modern world where computer hacking is a more powerful tool than disguises and fancy gadgets. More importantly, the film explores the notion of whether or not the intelligence game has become antiquated and what it has cost those who play it. But in spite of the film's commendable artistic ambitions, it's ultimately too cool and lethargic for its own good. Expand
  44. Nov 12, 2012
    This is not a James Bond movie. There is no intrigue or mystery whatsoever, very minimal globe trotting, no worthwhile woman character, flimsy plot, and really no James Bond - just a grumpy old dude. Halfway through the weakly conceived story the driving subject is largely abandoned to go all emotional with little to no effect. The villain sparks interest but is ultimately pedestrian as his scheme is underdeveloped and ridiculously minor. No, this is not "the best Bond ever," it's merely a failed attempt at using the modern "emotional superhero" template, which sometime works (See The Dark Knight) and sometimes fails miserably (See Superman Returns). Expand
  45. Nov 20, 2012
    A great movie nonetheless with an excellent theme song and great action, but with some boring scenes, a gun-barrel at the end of the movie that doesn't fit right and a plot that looked like it went mission impossible. It's been four years before a comeback drew more attention to this.
  46. Lyn
    Dec 30, 2012
    Nice to take a break from the blockbusters with Life Lessons and enjoy one that just tries to be a good action flick. Daniel Craig -- superb actor who still doesn't seem like James Bond or even look that great in a tuxedo (!) -- fits this story line a little better, with its themes of aging & weathering change. Great action sequences & special effects ... but gotta say I was not feeling Javier Bardem as the villain. Perhaps the one Life Lesson was that burly Spaniards shouldn't try the bleached-blond-and-effeminate look. Expand
  47. Nov 24, 2012
    Skyfall ... Definitivamente una de las mejores Películas modernas del legendario 007. Es una contante voragine de acción, pero no solo eso, ya que ademas se producen cambios importantes dentro de sus personajes, que permiten darle consistencia a lo que uno espera como evolución del Agente Secreto Favorito de todos, y que con Daniel Craig han modernizado y hacerlo mas creíble. Muy recomendable si te gusta la accion y, obvio, el 007. Expand
  48. Nov 19, 2012
    This was the most surprising Bond movie I've ever seen. It has everything you see in a Bond movie but also everything you don't see in Bond movies so much. This one felt like it tried to be a different film while still remaining a Bond film at the same time. Bond just proves that he is a superhero you don't see in comic books. He is a badass and knows how to kick (or shoot) butt. How does he not qualify as a superhero even if he doesn't have powers?

Watch this movie. If you're a Bond fan or not you'll love this movie. It is designed for both fans and non-fans. It has all the action you'd expect from a James Bond movie, while having a strong script that is executed in a way that will appeal to newcomers as well.

The Second act of the movie is the best part, that and the (INCREDIBLE) opening chase scene. Also, this could be the first Bond movie to definitely be a period piece of modern times. However it will live on as one of the greats in the series. The cyber-terrorism plot is not exactly what you would expect from Bond, but the way it's done here, it's right at home.

Skyfall is a breakthrough in the James Bond franchise. Watch it on the big screen before it is out of the theatre altogether. You'll be surprised.
  49. Nov 11, 2012
    By no means a bad film, my main issue was that it didn't take itself seriously, and often touched on parody. The action sequences are top-drawer, as you'd expect, but the story line is pretty weak. I've probably rated it up a mark having viewed it in the cinema, too. Having said all that, it's a major improvement over a Quantum of Solace, if nothing else.
  50. Nov 25, 2012
    My first James Bond movie was Casino Royale, which I saw in preparation for the upcoming flick Quantom of Solace. With the first Daniel Craig movie I liked the whole bit where Bond is trying to figure out what
  51. Jun 4, 2013
    "Coming off the trashy Quantum Of Solace, Skyfall is the bond everyone has been waiting for, filled with thrill to the minute excitement, impossible obstacle's and one of the best Bond Villains in over a decade. Skyfall is simply a movie you can't miss." A
  52. Dec 29, 2012
    It is hard to fault the brilliant direction of Mendes. It is even harder to imagine a better performance than that of Javier Bardem as the villain. But take the opening high adrenaline sequence away and there is little left of a Bond film and more of an artful drama.
  53. Nov 19, 2012
    I have mixed feeling about this film. Overall, I was disappointed and the main reason was that the nothing was developed to make it really interesting. Let's start with the villain. Bardem is a great actor but you need some back ground to make him villainious. They actually did have some of the best scenes in the movie when Bond meets Bardem. However, there is no depth given to how he becomes a villain and little face time with Bond. The same with the new Q. He just shows up. The plot has no depth either. We get little of Bond except in the first scene working on this. The movie really becomes about him protecting M and that really is not that interesting. The final scene reminded me of "Strawdogs" but without the tension or excitement. I had hopes for this series when they got rid of Roger Moore and the supervilian with the hugh fight scene at his hidden lair. However, the improvements are marginal with each new film and that takes several years. I don't know if I can wait for them to put an entire film together that is entertaining. Expand
  54. Nov 19, 2012
    The 50th anniversary of the James Bond series is acknowledged in this latest installment. Not literally, but in a thematic approach that pits human skills and basic weapons against technology and 21st century tactics. The villain (a blonde Javier Bardem) has devised a lame plot to release the names of spies and a bigger mission to destroy M (Judi Dench). Meanwhile, Bond (Daniel Craig) hasn't fully recovered from the opening sequence (the best action in the film). There are a few other passable encounters, but nothing spectacular. The locales are sufficiently attractive and the new ladies are a minor attraction, but this one relies more on character and discussion than on traditional 007 style and fun. Intellectually, it's an interesting exercise, but is that why what we want from 007? Expand
  55. Nov 14, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Very well done 007 movie. Perfectly spaced out between the action scenes and great CGI. Must see for any action fan. Saw this in IMAX 3D. Thought towards the end it was dragged out whenever the badguy was attacking the house and chasing the lady down. besides that its worth it. Expand
  56. Nov 25, 2012
    One of the best bond films ever. I see some people on here talking smack but their reviews dont make any sense, so Im guessing they had no idea what even happened in the film. This was the most beautiful bond film ever made. It has a brilliant pacing, action, drama, story balance, its unpredictable, has beautifully conceived erotic scenes, satisfying action, and the best bond villain ever. If you dont understand it dont write a bad review, just go watch it again, because it actually made a lot more sense than most bond films. Expand
  57. Sep 27, 2013
    Skyfall has no heart. The actors seem like robots with flat performances. Nobody smiles much and its not funny or entertaining.
    Bad color work. Every scene looks like a photoshop filter. Every scene is bathed in an oompa loompa orange glow.
    The characters, plot, and dialogue are quite simply boring due lack of complexity and mystery.
    The music isn't quite exciting enough, but it matches
    the slow pacing.
    Politically tiresome. Having M and Bond on poor terms, then a bad relationship with the agency AND his other field agent was quite lame.
    The movie is Lord of the Rings long (almost 3 hours) without any of the epic scale and depth. Its so slow its hard to follow.
    You don't see the villain until halfway through the movie. This never works in any movie, just like Superman Returns. There should be some back and forth between the villain and good guy in the beginning.

On the plus side there is a few cool vehicle scenes, but nothing I'd spend money only to see.

They should have called it Downfall. While Casino Royale was only OK, the series has been worse and worse. The truth is that Daniel Craig and the production team that did this aren't suave and inventive enough to make a good bond movie. The last people to come up with a good Bond story was EA's Everything or Nothing video game. Don't watch Skyfall.
  58. Nov 17, 2012
    I'd give this a solid 4.5/5

Increadible movie. Fans of the Bond series will love it but newcomers might not. I loved every second of this film. Bond is such a great character and he is very well portrayed by Craig. Dialogues are great and the cinematography and shots are just well shot. This film focuses a lot on character but it doesn't get distracted by them if that makes any sense.

although the script and story were great I can't say that the plot and structure is great either. Some of the things at the end of act 2 and beginning of act 3 was just kind of mediocre and done "too fast". The villain is kind of predictable around this stage. I was waiting for sth more elaborate than what happened. Some action sequences, as i said, are pretty bad at times and it's very distracting. However those bad moments are saved by the great cameos and character moments which are very fascinating and intriguing
  59. Nov 20, 2012
    as someoneone who was introduced to bond during the pierce brosnan age, i found this a very commendable film. it no longer takes itself stupidly serious like the other 2 newer films (well there are some serious parts). it also once again returnst to beautiful settings like the previous 2 films never did
  60. Nov 28, 2012
    Not as a good as Casino Royal, for sure. This Bond movie felt like several stories mashed together (or several scripts?), and though long, seemed to be missing the real character moments/buildup of stakes. There were a few too many action sequences that probably could've been taken out. Even with that, still a good movie--Craig as Bond really makes up for a lot and Bardem is always great to watch. Probably worth seeing a matinee for the special effects and cinematography--but it's not a must see. Expand
  61. Nov 25, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It takes 3/4 of the show to establish the main villian. That's fine. He's a mastermind, and it seems like he has some big plans. They have established the evil genius now let's move towards the soon to be world eding plan. Nope. We get a few seconds of his plan and the rest of the movie is him simply trying to kill bond and M. That's it. He follows them around trying to kill them. And to top it off, there is no genius revealed. That's it: Guy tries to kill a couple people. In the end (I checked spoilers don't forget), the bad guy dies by Bond simply throwing a knife into his back. Think about this, I don't care what the knife represents, it is simply thrown into the back of the bad guy and threat removed. There will never be another bond movie as bad as this. Expand
  62. Apr 25, 2013
    Skyfall is an excellent 007 movie. It's quality comes from heading off the beaten track and showing us things that haven't really been done in a Bond film before. The action sequences are great and the art direction is phenomenal. There are one or two blemishes, though. The plot doesn't stand up to much scrutiny, Javier Bardem's villain is a bit too over-the-top and all the wink-wink old Bond references, while fun, feel forced and out of context. Not the best 007 movie ever made, but a damn fine one none-the-less. Expand
  63. Nov 9, 2012
    No Bond film will match up to "Casino Royale". It just can't be done. The villains were perfect, the writing was intelligent, Craig was great, Eva Green was the best Bond girl of all time and the emotional impact was thrilling. That being said, this is about as perfect a Bond movie as you could ever get. A vast improvement over the action-over-storyline "Quantum of Solace", "Skyfall" perfectly blends emotion and stylish action. Bardem is one of the most memorable villains in Bond history and Craig matches his performance. It's a near-perfect Bond film that ranks with the best in the history of the franchise. Expand
  64. Dec 20, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Great action sequences. The first 10-15 minutes was fantastic.
    However...
    The whole basis of this silly movie is that the villain has created an elaborate plot which unfolds over years so he can get captured and taken into MI HQ. why does he want to get taken there? So he can escape and kill M, who is outside HQ. Huh?
  65. Mar 3, 2013
    This movie deserves 2 points for the opening chase and another point for the few beautiful shots of Istanbul and Shanghai. The rest is entirely forgettable, generic action-movie nonsense. From the title alone I half-expected some big, properly nefarious conspiracy, perhaps involving planes or space. But no, the villain is utterly uninteresting and only motivated by petty revenge. Bond himself inspires no empathy whatsoever, and displays zero emotion, charm or wit. The pacing is terrible, with some pointless scenes dragging on to the point where I started checking the clock. The plot is full of holes big enough to drive a train through. And of course there are no gadgets to speak of. Because the new Bond is all 'dark' and 'gritty' and 'real' while still managing to be a wooden puppet buffeted by meaningless explosions and fantastical computer hackery. Expand
  66. Nov 15, 2012
    A classic with modern touch, although with taking many cues from Nolan, Skyfall is the most entertaing blockbuster this year. With high A production value in any capacity , Skyfall is another example of masterful filmaking can be so much entertaining. I don't see it as Best Picture contender, but Academy loves Mendes. We'll see.
  67. Dec 4, 2012
    This is quite remarkable for a Bond film. It manages to be wildly entertaining, funny, nostalgic, tense and ultimately heartbreaking. It's beautifully shot and directed, and very well written for most of its run-time. At the centre of the film are three excellent performances from Daniel Craig, Javier Bardem and Judi Dench, full of subtext and subtlety; the electricity when they share scenes is intense. This film brings to a close one of the best relationships seen in a Bond film, between Bond and M, after providing a surprising amount of depth and back-story. It's not perfect, but there's so much here that works so impressively. Expand
  68. Nov 10, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Solid enjoyable movie until.... after the parliment scene with its false ending. The last 20 minutes are pointless and you leave feeling let down. To really enjoy the movie leave before the last 20 minutes and it will be great. Another director focused movie who doesn't have the self discipline to edit themselves. Expand
  69. Nov 10, 2012
    International locations: Check.
    Daniel Craig shirtless: Check.
    Nice looking cars: Check.
    Nice looking ladies: Check.
    Motorcycle chase: Check.
    Bulldozer crushing cars atop a speeding train: Check.
    Originality and inspiration: Still looking.
  70. Dec 3, 2012
    If I had to describe this movie in just two words I would use these: "intensity" and "style". Of course, this movie has it 's number of blunders. But what to expect of one of "007" series? I am not a big fan of action movies in general and "007" in particular. Maybe that is why I like "Skyfall". It is not as empty as the majority of action movies. And that is why you will see it's reviews from "0" all the way to "10". In my opinion, "style" applies to all cinematography here and directing altogether. And, of course, one of my favorite actors, Bardem, knows how to be a villain. As to "intensity", no matter how comfortable your chair is going to be, you will sit on the edge of it. Knowing who will win, knowing how it will end. Last time I had that feeling was a while ago Expand
  71. Dec 3, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The spoilers are not strictly spoilers (i.e., no plot or story give-aways). But if you like figuring out things about a movie on your own, there are a few things in here you may not wish to read.

That said -

This is a really good movie. It's about getting older, so I can see how if you are young it wouldn't be too appealing. But in my opinion it does so many things right: Great visuals, poetic/literary tie-ins (The Second Coming, Ozymandias), many hat's off or homage to earlier Bond films, etc. It's just plain fun. However, it's probably more fun if you are a bit older (I'm fifty, the age of the Bond franchise).
  72. Jun 9, 2013
    Anyone that has seen either Casino Royale or Quantum of Solace will know exactly what to expect here. As with all James Bond movies one has to suspend their belief when it comes to the plot but thanks to some excellent action set pieces and good performances from the majority of its cast this latest movie in the long running franchise makes for another entertaining two hours.
  73. Nov 22, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Skyfall starts off with a great set piece and carries on a very "Bond" feel right up until the third act. Then everything falls apart. The third act is basically a western and reinforces every negative thing said about Bond during the movie. Daniel Craig as Bond is as good as ever but...

**SPOILER ALERT***

... he loses. This is the first Bond movie where the villain succeeds at everything he set out to do. Bond loses and there are no repercussions, the end. That third act and ending alone make this the worst Bond movie i've ever seen (Moonraker was considered to be good at the time).
  74. Mar 11, 2013
    Watching the film you notice that skyfall was inspired by the dark knight looking at javier bardem as the villain as example, with his personality, capture and rescue. It is a good dark bond losing its puff towards the end.
  75. Nov 12, 2012
    Sam Mendez's Bond is a reinvention of an old dog. Just when the series was getting tired he makes it something new and more daring; similar to What Christopher Nolan did to Batman. The film is nostalgic, funny, exciting and dramatic what more could I have asked for then a fun time at the movies.
  76. Nov 12, 2012
    For Bond fans, this is a solid movie. If you love the more serious Bond movies, this one should appeal greatly. If you looking for something along the lines of the Roger Moore era films, you will be disappointed. The reviews were people gave this a zero are being absurd. Skyfall is one of the best of the Bond movies in many ways. It does have issues, but all Bond films have issues. If you are looking for mindless action every five seconds, this is not for you. If you expect to see crazy gadgets, you will be disappointed. This is one of the more serious Bond movies and is a classic. Expand
  77. Feb 15, 2013
    This isn't the worst James Bond movie, but it certainly is NOT the best. As someone who's seen almost all of the Bond movies, I can tell you this movie does not live up to the name. James Bond is a secret agent SECRET as in unknown yet everyone knows who he is. MI6 is the last to know about every detail rather than the first, which is pretty bad for an intelligence agency. And the plot of Skyfall is about petty revenge. Rather than being a character who is used to saving the world, James Bond ends up playing a body guard. Yes plots and characters can change from film to film, but they threw out the entire recipe. The film may not have been a bad movie, but it was not a James Bond film. Expand
  78. Dec 4, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. "The latest bond flick is just exhilarating. from over the top car chasing to awesome bare fighting,"Skyfall" has it all. all of it was credited to director Sam Mendez,whose vision is bold enough to take the bond movie beyond its formula.his dramatic approach toward Bond relationship with "M" showed the other story of how he struggled to keep the MI6 intact.despite a rather dramatic approach,Mendez also haven't forgotten the legacy of the series which make "Skyfall" one of the best bond film ever" Expand
  79. Sep 24, 2013
    The Mrs. and I sat down last night to watch James Bond’s “Skyfall” and fell asleep after an admittedly hilarious opening of nonsensical improbabilities and physical impossibilities. James Bond a heavy equipment operator on a moving train? Funny stuff! Then I nodded off and woke up in time to hear the requisite “Bond, James Bond.” and then went back to sleep. Turns out (spoiler alert) that Mr. Bond is capable of defeating an entire platoon of highly trained, special-forces bad guys. Who knew? Of course, being immune to bullet wounds, oxygen deprivation, hypothermia and Newtonian Physics helps, but still… Looked good if you promise not to think or bring even a modicum of life experience to the viewing. Seriously, a must see for Bond fans plenty of early Bond references but for the rest of us, watch the trailer and call it a night. No stars from this old codger because I slept through most of it. Expand
  80. Jan 22, 2013
    Skyfall is a great new take on the James Bond franchise. It really explores the years of toll a life being James Bond would have on a person. It even explores Bond's origins and family life. A great undertaking for a franchise that is usually about giving you cheesy one-liners and large explosions for entertainment. We would get a lot more balance of storyline if every James Bond movie was written this well. Probably one of my favorite Bond movies now. Expand
  81. Nov 18, 2012
    skyfall is such an awesome movie, that i literally had a heart attack (sort of). i hated the previous bond movies, because i thought that daniel craig sucked as james bond, because james bond is not really a character in the traditional sense. he's more of a tour through a magic land full of guns, one-liners, secret spies and lovely ladies. casino royale and quantum of solace tried to give him a back story, but ended up making him a gritty hardass that's no fun to watch at all. and that made me think that i could never love this new james bond. but after having seen this movie, i know that they weren't bad because they tried to give bond a back story, but because they made a poor attemt to give bond a back story. this james bond brings the same fun i remember from the classics, and the back story didn't impede that at all! in fact, it elevates the previous movies to a certain extend. skyfall is a great action movie, but it's especially good to finally have james bond back. Expand
  82. Mar 31, 2013
    Skyfall is not a typical James Bond film. It's much more of a generic action film with some brief references to its context. The story is too simple, the pacing is wrongand the action sequences are nowhere near James Bond standard. However, as an action film, Skyfall is fantastic. It's beautifully directed, has good acting, quite long and suspensful throughout. It's not clever or innovative or humourous, but for what it is and what it does, Skyfall does it very well. If you're a big James Bond fan you may be slightly dissapointed, but if you're after a solid action film you can't go wrong with Skyfall. Expand
  83. Jan 1, 2013
    It was the best of Bonds; it was the worst of Bonds. Actually, it was Skyfall, a fascinating combination of the best and worst of what one can hope for in a Bond movie. Daniel Craig does not like the pressure of being criticized, it seems. Before Skyfall became a billion-dollar success story, Craig was literally sweating out the pressure. If you don't believe it, just look at the pictures of him arriving for the 50th Bond anniversary bash in London. He has what appears to be a panic attack in full view of his adoring public, and he has to stop to wipe his brow after breaking out into a profuse sweat. (They claim it was the hot lights, but no one else popped a bead of perspiration.) He's been trying to get out of the Bond role ever since he got into it, he tells us in Rolling Stone Magazine. He also says he's only human. We get it. I'm a Daniel Craig fan, but I am carrying on a love-hate relationship with my idol, who often has clay feet. The touchy subject of Craig's age and the fact that he's not quite a Pretty Boy anymore, or not quite as pretty as he was in Casino Royale, has been turned around to some advantage in Skyfall. The producers had a brilliant idea. Why should Bond be so good-looking that Bond girls will sleep with him even though they always get killed shortly afterward? Looks aren't everything; it's personality that counts. In Skyfall, Bond is given a personality that goes a little bit beyond the superficial charmer we are so familiar with, played particularly well by predecessor Pierce Brosnan, although we forget that Brosnan did an excellent scene of a suffering, imprisoned Bond being tortured in Die Another Day. It was not pretty, but it was pretty serious and showed Brosnan could have given Bond new depths, if only he had been given better scripts. The new James Bond, as portrayed in Skyfall, has all the familiar landmarks. He's a hopeless flirt, he can't resist beautiful women or well-shaken martinis, he carries a Walther PPK and drives the Aston Martin DB5 from Goldfinger, the appearance of which inspired an appreciative gasp combined with a tired groan from the theater audience. He says he's Bond--James Bond, and we know what that means. But this Bond is also very different. He's older, grittier, and sadder with bloodshot eyes and a military man's crew cut. It's a new kind of secret agent. Instead of being just high class, Britishly elegant and suave, he leans a little more toward being a very American Navy Seal, the kind of special operation agents who are sent in to find terrorists like Osama bin Laden, and who operate in Iraq and Afghanistan. They are reportedly average-looking males of various ages; some of them even have gray hair. But the film vacillates in its resolve, not secure in the idea that an elitist special agent with a license to kill is going to provide the same kind of box office as classic Bond. So they give us a mishmash, combined with Bond being presumed dead so that he has an opportunity to be decadent and let himself go to seed as if he were the son of the Lion King. Judy Dench's M is more important in this film, and her age has also become an issue. She is also more human, forced to make tough snap decisions and not always thinking on her feet as well as she should. She is the best thing about this film, and she has an uncanny ability to speak volumes by blinking an eyelash. The film has a surprise--remember when the rumors came out with the Harry Potter series that Dumbledore dies? In this film someone dies, and the franchise will never be the same. I'm not sure the replacement was the best choice or just a friend of the family, but we'll see. Another enlightened touch--it has been reported that Craig has argued for a gay Bond. Silva, with Javier Bardem as the cartoonish villain who is strangely mesmerizing, is gay. He caresses Bond and says something about Expand
  84. Nov 29, 2012
    Its not a typical Bond film. Its good without a doubt, but lacks in the cheesy goofiness department that defined many of the previous Bond movies. I personally like the darker realism of the movie.
  85. Feb 14, 2013
    All I can say is that this is the best Bond movie to date! I'm really glad that they made Bond a more human character. It was a very different take from any Bond movie to date. It's good to see them trying to keep evolving the franchise. Love the directing and cinematography from Mendes. Can't wait for the next chapter!
  86. Apr 21, 2013
    Just boring, I slept through some parts of the movie. Bond almost rarely talks, there are events which look so forced to justify the plot's directions (this is the worst in the movie, the way some events take place... omg...), Moneypenny is introduced as a "creative" mark, M is since her inception, an awful character that goes worse, Q is another "creative" decision (creative is let's make it easy for us and make the public believe it's cool and innovation). Lots of cloaked advertising, more nonsense plot decisions, forced again and again, that didn't made any sense. In conclusion: the movie is an action flick which tells you to believe a good Bond movie is what they produce, with explosions, gfx, low intelligence plot, meat for the grinder. I'm glad I didn't fall for the "awesome MUST see" advertising kind of marketing campaign. Neither for the forum shills which almost crucify us if we don't share 10/10 impressions. I really enjoyed the first Craig Bond movie, but watching him and Conan the Barbarian movies just fighting and fighting, is the same... Expand
  87. Dec 23, 2012
    Honestly, it was a very good film. It was suspenseful at times. Honestly, there were quite a few things that I didn't like about it, aka it didn't engage me at times during the movie.
  88. Nov 18, 2012
    Awesome action flick - Not a Bond Movie.
    This is definitely the best bond movie staring Daniel Craig but it still does not give me the vibe of a true Bond film. It's does not give out the vibe the pre- Daniel Craig Bond films did, key elements are missing such as the feeling of adventure or making Bond a likeable character to the audience. When watching the old bond movies you actually
    want to be bond and overall the movie made you feel happy. These new Daniel Craigs are darker and different, not holding to their true ancestor films, so when you watch the film don't go in with a mindset of watching another Bond movie (because it's not), just take it like a really well made Action / Drama movie. Skyfall is very well made, great lighting, scenes, characters, sound and especially story. Javier Bardem was perfectly selected for the role of the villain and will be hard to forget long after watching. Overall if you want to see a very good movie and let me stress not a James Bond movie watch skyfall, you shouldn't be disappointed. Expand
  89. Nov 11, 2012
    To celebrate the 50th anniversary of 007, one of the best Bond films ever made has been released. Skyfall has some of the most memorable action that the series has ever seen. Daniel Craig has finally proven that he is fully capable of being Bond.
  90. Jan 2, 2013
    Just like WiiU's "ZombiU" this is media that is low key but high impact. And just like ZombiU, the yanks once again totally miss the point as their bloodlust and sociopathic needs will not be met in this movie. Skyfall is the On Her Majesty's Secret Service of 2012, looking deeply into the more human level of being Bond and his relationship with M, the world, and himself. The whole film is also a clever way to return return to the classic Bond. Expand
  91. Dec 5, 2012
    BRILLIANT! fantastic movie., Love how they relate some things back to previous films, eg in the Astin Martin 007 is in with M and he goes to flick a switch (i think it was anyway) and M says go on eject me i dont care. lol Pointkless review but it made me laugh :)
  92. Feb 19, 2013
    After 50 years, and 50 plus mistakes in Quantum of Solace, director Sam Mendes has delivered the home front of Bond movies, its big, bold, smart, and simply feels like classic Bond, while maintaining its more gritty and realistic approach to the genre.
    It's got all the ingredients of the Bonds of yesteryear with a few spices added in, take out the disastrous films before we had the
    reboot, and they all cumulate in this,and what a thrill to behold.
    An opening scene involving a thrilling chase through Istanbul already feels better than the opening of Quantum, its cleaner, crisper, and is relevant to the story which follows.
    An attack on MI6 sets up a story that is perhaps one of the best Bond plots to grace the big screen, Judi Dench finds her true calling in this film, having a much more pivotal role as M, who is the target of estranged agent Silva, played creepily by Javier Bardem, perhaps not as menacing as his turn in No Country For Old Men, but certainly a nod to classic Bond villains, and the nods don't stop there. Q makes his return to the Bond universe, but in a very different, and in the younger form of Ben Wishaw, its Bond, but with its own modern spin ('What did you expect? An exploding pen?")
    The set pieces are explosive and epic, a subway train tumbling through the roof was a particular highlight, but the climax in the old orphanage was superb, Sam Mendes pulled no punches in delivering an exhilarating finale, even with the inclusion of Albert Finney (The Bourne franchise)
    There where complaints regarding the lack of chemistry between Craig and Naomie Harris, who played Eve in the film, but i personally seen this as deliberate to mask the eventual history behind Eve's character.
    The friendly exchanges between Bond and Q are the real comedic points of the film, with Bond viewing Q basically as a mere schoolboy, Q soon proves his worth as the film progresses with the ongoing mission to identify Silva.
    But it is really the relationship between Bond and M that solidifies her role as a central character within the bond universe, Craig and Dench do a brilliant job in playing the mother and son role which is rare to see for such a weathered franchise, and their friendship, albeit strained, his truly put to the test in Skyfall as M's past makes an unwelcome return. Was it better than Casino Royale, they are quite on par in my opinion, Casino Royale changed the rules completely but Skyfall did a wonderful job of enforcing them, while not trying to stray too far of the British spy's rich history.
    Skyfall rips apart the armour of the previous films and creates a vulnerable and emotional film that doesn't hold back in piercing the chest with a mass of bullets, its true core lies within the history and relationship of the characters, and this film wipes the slate clean to make a point of saying that Bond is here to stay.
  93. Nov 24, 2012
    Slow at times. Thought Javier Bardem was a great villain. Otherwise, the movie had some suspenseful scenes that kept me entertained. Not a bad movie to see at the theaters.
  94. Mar 3, 2014
    This is one of the worst Bonds movies ever. The villain is a joke, a blond effeminate computer genius with no motivation beyond petty revenge. The "old people are sexy too" theme is just as boring here as it was in the fourth Indiana Jones movie. The dozens of plot holes gape so wide that they swallow the entire movie. They could have put the explosions, chases, and fights in any order, and the story would make just as much sense. Expand
  95. Nov 17, 2012
    This bond film was different from the others. This, in my opinion, means that it is better and worse in some ways, for one simple reason - there are less chases and typical bond scenes and the film is much deeper and thought-provoking because of this. This made the film more adult which was good but I still missed typical bond scenes. This is a really good film that will appeal to a wider audience, however hardcore fans may be disappointed. Expand
  96. Jan 9, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This film is by far the best film of 2012. I have seen many complaints ranging from "It wasn't realistic enough" to "It was too realistic and not corny enough like the original Bond films". I have seen every Bond film and my favourite Bond will always be Pierce -- and this can then show I have no problem with the "corny" and over-dramatic Bond films. This film was a work of art, every scene was perfectly scripted, acted and shot and scenes such as the fist-fight in the dimly lit skyscraper took my breath away. The Casino scenes were stylistically beautiful, the opening chase scene was thrilling and perfectly done. Daniel Craig did a great performance, his portrayal of a darker James Bond, slipping from his standards and becoming sloppy is a tale laced with angst and drama but perfectly executed. Silva was a superb bond villain and I adored that the fact he was gay or bisexual was subtle and only hinted at and not made into a grand show or his character's defining attribute -- his line "Life clung to me like a disease" and indeed that whole scene was perfectly delivered and structured. The interactions between Bond, Silva and M in this strange triangle of characters, their interactions, their histories and their motives all clashing together to form this great Bond tale was magnificently done. The only flaws this film had were firstly that the ending scenes set in the house, before the ice lake and the church, dragged on slightly and became a bit tiresome. There was barely any light in these scenes and after fifteen minutes of it, it becomes stagnant. My final flaw and something that really pulled me out of the film was Q sticking two ethernet cables into Silva's laptop and then shouting "How the hell did he get into our systems?" after their system is hijacked. Seriously? At this point everyone knew Silva was a hacker, he was in custody -- so why do that? Why connect the networks via ethernet cables? Isn't Q meant to be a "genius?" And then Q pulls them out of the laptop like "Oh, silly me." Really, really...

But alas, apart from those two flaws -- relatively minor in size -- this film was magnificent and damn near perfect. Definitely give it a watch, buy it on Bluray too. **** get a poster. It's that good.
  97. Nov 19, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. One of the worst Bond imho. Most of my reasons are:

Main villains in Bond movies have crazy world crushing plots with machines of massive power and destruction, not a hacker in a room full of servers. QoS for example: controlling a water supply, brilliant! not some hacker scheme, Anonymous is already doing that.

You don't go blowing up a vintage Bond car for the fun of it. Watch the opening car chase of QoS and tell me it's not awesome. Even the rooftop bike chase was a ripoff of the rooftop running chase from QoS.

A huge stone house in Ireland doesn't blow up and burn like it's full of gasoline and made of dry timber.

Javier Bardem should not have been the villain, it should have been a lesser known actor, and his opening rant was far too wordy and childish.

The new Q was a joke, most of his on screen time was blundering around with his giant screen contributing nothing to Bond's journey.

So many predictable plot turns and scenes, I almost forgot it was a Bond flick.

I walked into that theater with such high hopes and walked out shaking my head saying "what were they thinking when they made this".

Now reading comments on Twitter and the 007 facebook page, people just wearing rose coloured glasses cause it's "Bond" and we're told to like that guy.

I believe it's a sad turn for the franchise.
  98. Nov 29, 2012
    This movie was absolutely fantastic. Daniel Craig once again shows why he's the best James Bond ever. He's has all of the charisma of any of the past Bonds but has a grit to him that allows the movies to be a bit darker and more realistic. While I didn't enjoy Skyfall quite as much as Casino Royale, it was still much better than Quantum of Solace and is probably my second favorite Bond movie ever. I liked that they added depth to M and touched on some of the political element to MI6. I was a bit disappointed that Berenice Marlohe wasn't featured more. I've been hearing for the past month what a beautiful and fantastic Bond-girl she is and, while she is stunning, she was barely in the film at all. Overall, it's a great movie and more than just Bond fans will enjoy it. On a side note, since everyone seems to be mentioning Adele, I will also... she's awesome and her opening song to the movie is the perfect Bond track, lol. Expand
  99. Dec 6, 2012
    Meh, Casino Royal is better. I like bond movies and I like this one. But this whole Jason Bourne is Bond deal is kinda a downer. Every movie the treatment becomes more Dragon Tattoo than Goldfinger. But I guess that's what people want. It's not awful.
  100. Nov 15, 2012
    While it's easily one of the best movies I've seen all year, I can definitely see why people might be turned off by how it all played out. First the good: another great performance by Daniel Craig and Javier Bardem delivers one of the best bond villains I've seen in a VERY long time. He really steals the show and the only problem with his role was how little he was actually in the movie. You don't see him till at least an hour into the movie. Daniel Craig does a fine job, as he has in the past two movies, and Ben Whishaw's Q was very well done. Overall it was a very well acted movie and the characters really carried the movie here. The plot was kinda sketchy but serviceable. The biggest problem with this movie, to me, was the super slow pacing of the film. Sitting at 2.5 hours, you would think there would be alot going on plotwise but there are only a few things that happen here and there with alot of talking done in the middle. While the dialogue and action scenes were good, it just felt like more could have been done with those 2.5 hours. Plus with the lack of a true Bond girl, of which neither of the two leading ladies could be classified as, M sorta took on that role in a different light than what we are used to seeing in the past. It was different and I see where they were going it but it just doesn't do anything for me. They could have done something special with either of the other two girls in the movie but they just didn't pursue it. But it's still a great movie and one of the best movies to be released in the past few months. It probably won't win many rewards but it's still a great experience. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Dana Stevens
    Nov 9, 2012
    Skyfall leaves you wondering whether this incarnation of the character has anywhere left to go. It's the portrait of a spy at the end of his rope by an actor who seems close to his.
  2. Reviewed by: Rene Rodriguez
    Nov 9, 2012
    Mendes' approach to action is classical and elegant - no manic editing and blurry unintelligible images here - but what makes the movie truly special is the attention he gives his actors.
  3. Reviewed by: Mike Scott
    Nov 9, 2012
    The sky is far from falling on the Bond franchise. In fact, it is as good as it has ever been. What's more, Craig is reportedly on board for at least two more outings, so Q had better get to work on those bifocals because 007 is no where near ready for retirement.