7.5

1. Ozy
    Apr 15, 2014
    I liked the fact that it showed the toll bond had accumulated over the years. But I expected him to snap out of his lonely old man state of mind and kick some ass. In all honesty the movie felt like it should have instead been the first 15minutes of another epic bond film.
  2. Mar 22, 2014
    i seen all james bond movies . sometimes i think why is a spy movie all about james bond but some are not . skyfall is one of a james bond bad ass movies i seen . i did like judi dench as well in this film .
  3. Mar 8, 2014
    It's exciting, gripping, and thrilling. The acting was great, the script was well-written, it was thoughtful, and it's just really fun. One thing still troubles me though: How the hell did Bond survive that fall though? I gotta call BS on that.
  4. Mar 4, 2014
    Really good for a mind-numbing thrill film, but not the best Bond screenplay. With hindsight as well, unraveling the film, the screenplay isn't all that great and can be at times slightly pretentious. However, great cinematography, a great soundtrack and a great performance from Bardem are its main positives, and overall it does make for an albeit solid addition to the series.
  5. Mar 3, 2014
    This is one of the worst Bonds movies ever. The villain is a joke, a blond effeminate computer genius with no motivation beyond petty revenge. The "old people are sexy too" theme is just as boring here as it was in the fourth Indiana Jones movie. The dozens of plot holes gape so wide that they swallow the entire movie. They could have put the explosions, chases, and fights in any order, and the story would make just as much sense. Expand
  6. Dec 17, 2013
    WORST BOND I HAVE EVER SEEN. Craig is a good actor (see Layer Cake), Casino Royale was good (almost as good as Goldeneye...not the game, though...CLASSIC!), and Quantum was a let-down, comparatively, but compared to Skyfall, as masterpiece. The absurdity of this movie's plot-line is only rivaled by the absurdity of the money invested in it and the degree of claimed positive reception...It's so bad, I can't even sort out what, specifically to criticize. All I can say to summarize is that the fact that this film received such positive reviews compared to the other contemporary "JB" (James Bond/Jason Bourne) film, Bourne Legacy's relatively poor critical reception speaks volumes about the state of our society...Skyfall was utter rubbish, whilst as good as the Damon Bourne films were, Legacy was, to an objective reviewer, superior to even those, and yet received mixed to poor reviews...what a racket. Here's hoping Barbara Broccoli has the wisdom to recruit Paul Greengrass for Bond XXIV. Wake up S(m)erfs. Expand
  7. Dec 11, 2013
    Apparently a lot of metacritic users think SKYFALL is a terrible movie, but I found it to be a lot better than any of Daniel Craig's previous outings as Agent 007. The direction is above-average and the cinematography is utterly fantastic for a Bond film. Also of note is the interesting casting esp. Javier Bardem as the bisexual villain. That said, I am still not completely sold on this current oh so serious incarnation, which strives to be oh so dark and murky and au courant, unlike the Bonds of yesteryear, which were a lot more cheeky and comical and fun. Sure, the Cold War was a serious thing, but it didn't hurt to laugh at it, did it? Expand
  8. Dec 3, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. CGI is good, as is typical in modern movies. However, it is also typical for _Bond_ movies to have an epic evil guy. Nuke a major city, disrupt the global economy that is the kind of plan we all come to expect from the Bond's antagonist. But in this movie the bad guy is just a disgruntled former employee on steroids.

What's worse, he did have all the necessary ingredients: a personal island with some satellite communication equipment, an army of well-armed devotees... And what does he do? He just tries to get personal revenge against his former boss by running around with a pistol. That's so... non-epic!
  9. Nov 29, 2013
    Darker and more serious, this Bond installment thrills from start to finish through its suspenseful tone, top-notch acting, witty dialogue and its many action sequences.
  10. Nov 15, 2013
    Wow. So they took my script after all. Only it wasn't a 007 movie. It was a 777 movie. The guy's name is Bomb not Bond. Bomb can't shoot. If he were on a lifeboat and aimed a flair at the sky he'd put a hole right smack dab in the middle of his boat. Chronic boozer, doper, and complainer. Only assigned minor missions like if some disgruntled ex-employee leaked some names, then that would go to Bomb. Nothing world-threatening. That's reserved for the doulbe 0's like Bond. Goes around with a grim look on his face like if he were about to be cremated or spliced in half, that's something to be concerned about. Actually thinks HE'S more important than his mission, and takes an unauthorized vacation to pout about it after finding out he's not.

A mistake hire. When given the choice between going to prison for being a combination peeping tom raincoat exposer or joining the service, took the service. Reason he got the option was a former foster kid of the Bosslady's just like the ex-employee he was chasing.

Changed the ending tho. After finding out he got the Bosslady killed my script had both his Volks and his ars parked on the grars. And a policy change NO MORE HIRING RELATIVES.

This is not a Bond.

This is a Bomb.
  11. Oct 4, 2013
    I don't want to give it a 2 but it's just in the end my score. Believe it or not, I haven't watched many Bond movies. They just haven't worked for me somehow. They're supposed to have gadgets, a destroy the world in a way plot, humour, and most of all, action. Most of the action scenes were less than a minute and took a while for the next one to come. Bond has no weapons, and I know that's the point this time, but it just didn't work. And the cast has pretty much no chemistry or any sign of having life outside work. The action scenes at the end were nice, though. Expand
  12. Sep 27, 2013
    Skyfall has no heart. The actors seem like robots with flat performances. Nobody smiles much and its not funny or entertaining.
    Bad color work. Every scene looks like a photoshop filter. Every scene is bathed in an oompa loompa orange glow.
    The characters, plot, and dialogue are quite simply boring due lack of complexity and mystery.
    The music isn't quite exciting enough, but it matches
    the slow pacing.
    Politically tiresome. Having M and Bond on poor terms, then a bad relationship with the agency AND his other field agent was quite lame.
    The movie is Lord of the Rings long (almost 3 hours) without any of the epic scale and depth. Its so slow its hard to follow.
    You don't see the villain until halfway through the movie. This never works in any movie, just like Superman Returns. There should be some back and forth between the villain and good guy in the beginning.

On the plus side there is a few cool vehicle scenes, but nothing I'd spend money only to see.

They should have called it Downfall. While Casino Royale was only OK, the series has been worse and worse. The truth is that Daniel Craig and the production team that did this aren't suave and inventive enough to make a good bond movie. The last people to come up with a good Bond story was EA's Everything or Nothing video game. Don't watch Skyfall.
  13. Sep 24, 2013
    Is this the true Bond? Not 100%, but it does manage to stand alone as one of the greatest productions of all time. Everything about this movie is to a legendary standard. Honestly, it's a legendary movie and you need to seek it out. The reasons why I think this is one of the best movies of all time are for reasons I never knew I wanted. For the most part, I'm not all that interested in the soundtrack in movies, but this one is simply put it, captivating. Adele was the perfect artist to perform 'Skyfall' and it shows but a few minutes into the movie. The performance is plain and simple some of the greatest I have ever seen, which is stand out in the interactions with Daniel Craig's Bond and Javier Bardem's Silva. The scripting is silly in true Bond fashion, which I have no idea why people have not commented on when saying this isn't the true Bond. But what is the true Bond? The true Bond is silly dialogue, taking human like damage, facing his foes with some fear, and being a womaniser. And when we're true to ourselves, the film succeeds in all the categories. This is quite simply one of the best Bond films I've ever seen, if not THE very best. This film is a very rare case, an action-thriller that doesn't even attempt to be overly bad ass, and instead goes for a very realistic plot with a realistic narrative, which is probably what I love the most about 007, it's all carried out realistically, and close to home. It's almost scary, this film has changed my view on life, and made me question my trust in the world. When a film is that impactful and controversial, and had me clapping mere minutes into the movie, I just can't help myself with this one. The final verdict is a perfect score, a 10/10. It really goes to show what a 'Triple A' development can give us. It's been a long time since I've issued a perfect score, not since Toy Story 3 in 2010, making this one of the best films of the decade. Expand
  14. Sep 24, 2013
    The Mrs. and I sat down last night to watch James Bond’s “Skyfall” and fell asleep after an admittedly hilarious opening of nonsensical improbabilities and physical impossibilities. James Bond a heavy equipment operator on a moving train? Funny stuff! Then I nodded off and woke up in time to hear the requisite “Bond, James Bond.” and then went back to sleep. Turns out (spoiler alert) that Mr. Bond is capable of defeating an entire platoon of highly trained, special-forces bad guys. Who knew? Of course, being immune to bullet wounds, oxygen deprivation, hypothermia and Newtonian Physics helps, but still… Looked good if you promise not to think or bring even a modicum of life experience to the viewing. Seriously, a must see for Bond fans plenty of early Bond references but for the rest of us, watch the trailer and call it a night. No stars from this old codger because I slept through most of it. Expand
  15. Sep 20, 2013
    One of the best recent Bonds, Skyfall works great as a drama as well as having some classic Bond action scenes. Daniel Craig is a very good portrayer of Ian Fleming's character, and these movies are the perfect showcases for the actor's talents. Overall, a must-see for Bond fans or anyone else who wants to see a good drama and action movie.
  16. Sep 5, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. My favorite 007 till now has been Sean Connery. But in second position I definitely consider Daniel Craig.
    Casino Royale left great impact but Quantum of solace dissapointed.
    Now its skyfall. And its actually a rise again.
    Daniel Craig lived the character of James bond.
    Also, this bond is realistic.
    The script is good.
    Action less but amazing.
    Especially the beginning is outstanding.
    Background score is academy worthy and so it was rewarded.
    Adele sung the score beautifully.
    The villain is quite satisfying.
    All in all, Bond returned with a bang emotionally, and with full charm.
    Must watch!.
  17. Sep 1, 2013
    Its a great film better then the bull last James bond movie, I enjoyed Skyfall yet didn't really like the villain because i really couldn't understand his motives or really understand why he wanted to kill everybody, pretty sure the movie tells us why, but it felt rather dull the story.
  18. Aug 25, 2013
    Guess we're all not seeing the same film here. Couldn't get past the first freakin' action sequence it was just so ridiculous. I mean plausibility has got to count for something people! Also, Daniel Craig always comes off as a hard, German-looking villain type; he's not at all the suave, debonair James Bond that's made the franchise popular since the '60s. Dropped this one hard.
  19. Aug 24, 2013
    Intricate and dramatic but not too much to overlook it's gritty and fun action, 'Skyfall' is one of the top Bond films. Craig is the better Bond, except for Sean Connery. Bardem is in a very accomplished role as this enigmatic, lunatic who keeps thickening the plot as it goes on. I loved this so much, I watched in the movies TWICE.
  20. Aug 17, 2013
    This was a good movie! I`t was interesting the whole way through. I do agree with people who complain about the lack of gadgets, but it was still a good movie.
  21. Jul 16, 2013
    This is one of the BEST Bond films ever made, that brings Bond back after the terrible 'Quantum of Solace'. Bond is brought back after four long years in major style and emotional context that really matches the times. Everything about this film is thrilling- the story is very well written and witty, the acting is top notch (the best cast ever in a Bond film), the music is amazing, the title song is classic Bond and one of the best songs of the series, the villain is truly frightening and threatening, the action is epic, etc. Another perfect Bond film that brought Bond back with a bang. Great, great film. Expand
  22. Jul 7, 2013
    All the hype, all the press, all the praise, would suggest this to be the best Bond ever. Part of me would say; that's probably not a far cry from the truth, yet, it's hardly an accolade worth boasting about either.

Throughout the overdrawn and increasingly sigh worthy decisions made by all the characters in play, it became apparent by the end that Skyfall was at best a bloated,
    nonsensical bore, straining so hard for glory, that it managed to fool the majority of the audience.

Javier Bardem, despite his brilliance as Chigurgh in No Country for Old Men, is completely wasted here. And i'm not sure in which way I mean that, as he clearly looked off his rocker for the entirety of the film. Perhaps that was the point, but I would have thought the writers would have used him wisely, rather than spewing out another camp, ridiculous villain. A complete waste of opportunity and talent.

As for the plot, it struggles along from A to B, as both band and Camp Bond Villain #38 make increasingly unbelievable judgment calls. The finale is perhaps the most laughable standoff I've seen in years. Without any spoiling, Bond, with all his guile and wit, makes the decision to essentially hide in a remote, derelict building.

Well, there'll never find us here... says Bond.

It seems it's not just the audience that are all too happy to dance along to the nonsense.
  23. Jun 30, 2013
    Welcome to the 21st century James Bond! Danielle Craig was superb as Bond in Casino Royal, but Quantum of Solace lacked, well everything. So long cold war, hello cyber terrorism. The days of campy exploding pens and laser watches gives way to a villain who is believable and gadgetry/stunts/props that are relatively believable (willful suspension considered). The acting is superb and the cinematography is carefully created. The 50th anniversary gives me hope that the "Hollywood" brain trust is not completely lost in remakes and sequels than really don't need to be made. Expand
  24. Jun 30, 2013
    I have to admit I was somewhat disappointed when I saw this movie in theatres. But that's partially due to the fact that I had to pee really, really badly, had impossibly high expectations set up, and was worried the whole time that my best friend was hating it because they hate story driven movies. (They did.) But once I saw the movie outside of theatres I was glad to see that I really liked it. It's definitely a very stylish, and extremely well shot movie, but it's also really character driven, especially for a James Bond movie. It has a lot more depth than you would expect. The acting is really good too. Javier Barden (I think that's how you spell it, maybe not) was extremely creepy, not only because of his deformity, but because you weren't quite sure if he... Never mind. That creeps me out just thinking about it, yet alone writing it. Craig probably gives his best performance as Bond so far also. This helps the characters feel very real. The action is well directed and can be fun, but it's not quite as gritty or as common an occurrence as it was in Casino Royale, but that being said, I believe Skyfall to be the better movie overall, and possibly the best Bond movie ever. Mendez definitely took directional inspiration from Nolan, perhaps too much at times, but I like the darker more realistic style that Craig's Bond movies have compared to their ridiculously over the top predecessors. Glad this movie won Oscars. Here's to hoping the next movie is even better, actually reaches my near impossible expectations, and maybe even gets a best picture nomination. Expand
  25. Jun 30, 2013
    This film had the least amount of action of the Bond films I have seen recently. Alot of dialog and plot, which would be good if this wasn't supposed to be a BOND FILM!!!! Almost complete absence of a steamy femme. Best part of this is what happens to M. Never was a fan of hers either.
  26. Jun 28, 2013
    Skyfall is a great movie, full of action, adventure, and, well, more action. The acting is spot on, the villain is well portrayed, and it's a great Bond movie. I only have two gripes with the movie. One, there were barely any Bond gadgets, and that took away from the Bond-ness of the movie. Second, at the beginning of the movie, he's literally brought back to life by the power of sex. What....
    It's still very good. Go see it if you haven't.
  27. Jun 28, 2013
    I hate the story that antagonist's goal is to kill a woman. Do all those things just to kill a woman.
    I hate the last scene, battle at house scene. Always antagonist loose easily, protagonist wins.
  28. Jun 18, 2013
    Okay so is bond #23 everything you hoped for it to be or is it just a huge flop? Haha, you kidding? This film is great. But before I go any farther… …Adele, you, you are what 007 opening credits were made for. Now that I got that out of the way… This film opens up explosively. From the first action scene to the beautiful opening credit sequence you have already gotten your moneys worth. bond #23 is easily the “best looking” one to date. I’m not only talking effects here, I mean lightning and camera work. The use of colour really goes a step forward here, setting the mood perfectly even when locale jumps from one another. Not only that, but for an action film, it knows how to slow down and become even a bit artsy. Let me explain.
    There is a scene in which Bond is chasing “someone”, lets call him, “wood be assassin.” This “wood be assassin” is on a mission of his own. Instead of going in guns blazing, he decides to be very stealthy. While doing so they enter a room beautifully illuminated with blue light; zero sound was used in this scene as well, making it ten times as thrilling, and this is only one example, there are plenty more.
    When Bond meets his enemy for the first time (played by Javier Bardem) The scene also lacks any score of any kind, but to good effect. Instead you hear only two things, Javier’s long menacing metaphor, and the echoing sounds of his footsteps.
    Besides these little details, Skyfall has great performances by Daniel Craig and especially Judi Dench. These two are the highlights of this movie, and by that I mean this story focuses heavily on their relationship and the many details about MI6. This story is easily the strongest one from an emotional standpoint.
    If I have any gripes, one would be the length. I know it’s a Bond film and there are many story details to fit in, and I am a man who can respect slow paced films as long as they benefit the story and or serve a purpose to the suspense/mood of a film. But a few points in the middle of here I found myself wanting the film to progress a bit faster.
    However,
    Skyfall is nothing less than an achievement, not just for action films, but for bond films in general. It is as much of a progression as Casino Royale was. These are how bonds need to be made, they are brilliant. A veteran franchise like this still has a bright future, and I can’t wait to see what Hollywood will do with the next one.
  29. Jun 11, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I've never written a movie review in my life, but this was so horrible that I created a Metacritic account.

I'm not a James Bond fan, but I know what a James Bond movie is supposed to be like. More importantly, I know when I see a bad movie, and this is a bad movie.

-The Bond girl had about 10 minutes of screen time.
    -There are a lot of pointless scenes and dialogue.
    -The "too old to be a spy" plot is ineffective.
    -The villain is too cartoony (still love Bourdain, though).
    -The movie tries to mimic the Dark Knight trilogy too much.
    see: http://www.wired.com/underwire/2012/11/skyfall-dark-knight/

And last but not least the movie is too unrealistic. Now, I do understand that action movies are meant to be fun and that you have to let go a little bit to enjoy it. But there are SO many points in the movie that are so implausible that it makes me sick.

I would like to quote user _MB:

Why didn't the badguy just kill Q at home or when he exploded her headquarters? Why didn't Bond ask for a doctor to remove the fragments rather than using a knife and his left hand? Why didn't the bad guy just kill bond, what did he want him for? Why didn't they just hide in the tunnel as the bad guy didn't know it existed? Why did the priest hole lead to no where? Why did Bond walk over the ice when everyone else went around? Where did the ice henchman appear from? Why did Q plug the bad guy's PC into the network rather than an isolated PC? Why did they lock the badguy in a glass room which is locked electronically rather than just use a padlock? When did Bond set off the radio beacon on the island and why didn't the electronics mastermind badguy not have him checked? When did the badguy put the explosives on the roof of the chamber letting the train through, wouldn't he have used his time better, running away? Why didn't they just withdraw all the at risk agents? Why didn't bond shoot him at any point, he'd be tortured for months by the Chinese why would he talk to them? Why was there more screen time dedicated to Judi Dench than for Daniel Craig? Why did bond's face change from Brosnan to Craig yet M's is still Dench? Why would you cut up a perfectly good opening action scene to an old woman moaning in an office ever 30 seconds? Can I get a refund?

Concise, truthful, and hilarious!

1. Reviewed by: Dana Stevens
    Nov 9, 2012
    Skyfall leaves you wondering whether this incarnation of the character has anywhere left to go. It's the portrait of a spy at the end of his rope by an actor who seems close to his.
  2. Reviewed by: Rene Rodriguez
    Nov 9, 2012
    Mendes' approach to action is classical and elegant - no manic editing and blurry unintelligible images here - but what makes the movie truly special is the attention he gives his actors.
  3. Reviewed by: Mike Scott
    Nov 9, 2012
    The sky is far from falling on the Bond franchise. In fact, it is as good as it has ever been. What's more, Craig is reportedly on board for at least two more outings, so Q had better get to work on those bifocals because 007 is no where near ready for retirement.