7.5

1. Nov 10, 2012
    I was so prepared to be blown away by this Bond movie and I am truly saddened to anknowledge its failure to live up to standard. From the very outset of the movie where it is clear that it will be nothing like its predecessors, Bond manages to underdeliver. At every turn throughout the movie I was expecting it to open up and become the high dollar escapist fare we are used to, with quickI was so prepared to be blown away by this Bond movie and I am truly saddened to anknowledge its failure to live up to standard. From the very outset of the movie where it is clear that it will be nothing like its predecessors, Bond manages to underdeliver. At every turn throughout the movie I was expecting it to open up and become the high dollar escapist fare we are used to, with quick chases and explosions, great music and women. All of which were lacking in this film. Going back to basics is fine and dandy, but in this day and age when technology is everpresent and more powerful than ever, to take away the minor pleasure of Bonds futuristic spy technology is almost more than I can take. I mean is the movie not about the power of technology and its capability in our ever changing world. As I said earlier, I wanted to love this movie so much and watched it the night of its release, only to be dissapointed in the end. Everyone should make their own opinion and never take someone's word, but you should arrive knowing that this is a different Bond experience and therefore you should appreciate it differently.

I on the other hand found it impossible to enjoy. Farwell Bond, I hope you find your way before next time.
  2. Nov 10, 2012
    Visually stunning, each actor/actress brings needed depth to the franchise. This is the best bond film ever and Daniel Craig firmly places himself at the head of the line as the most convincing Bond. Adding Finnes to the film was a stroke of genius. Most importantly, though, the writing in this film is tight and gritty lending authenticity to this installment. If you don't like this filmVisually stunning, each actor/actress brings needed depth to the franchise. This is the best bond film ever and Daniel Craig firmly places himself at the head of the line as the most convincing Bond. Adding Finnes to the film was a stroke of genius. Most importantly, though, the writing in this film is tight and gritty lending authenticity to this installment. If you don't like this film you should have your head examined. Enough said. Expand
  3. Nov 10, 2012
    There was nothing James Bond about this movie. Big let down on music, plot, and good use of product displacement. James Bond movies were always 50 years ahead of its time, there was no such technology or cars or anything that was used. The plot of ex agent becoming the villan is same as golden eye plot. The bond girl was short lived. The relationship of skyfall in bonds life was not shownThere was nothing James Bond about this movie. Big let down on music, plot, and good use of product displacement. James Bond movies were always 50 years ahead of its time, there was no such technology or cars or anything that was used. The plot of ex agent becoming the villan is same as golden eye plot. The bond girl was short lived. The relationship of skyfall in bonds life was not shown in the right way. They basicly could have shot the end scene somewhere else and it would not have mattered at all. They have a new Q. Come on. I couldn't trust him till the end... Lol.. And what the heck where they achieving by successfully locating James on the radar. I get it that he had to be tracked but don't keep telling us viewers that. It gets annoying. There was no super car. Just a jag scene and an old Astin Martin, that did nothing basically. Big let down on cars. Overall I was not impressed a bit. Expand
  4. Nov 10, 2012
    I think when it comes to bond movies you think action suspense and cool gadgets. This movie had me glued and walked out happy. I'm not a huge bond fan but the guy from no country for old men the bad guy I forget his name. He was amazing in this movie.
  5. Nov 10, 2012
    Look I'm NLT the biggest James Bond fan in the world, but I don't know why this film is getting praised. The first half is slow and dare I say almost somewhat boring, and the motivations of some characters are left unexplained. Also, and this may be me griping, but if Bond wasn't superhuman or a bad guy could hit a target, the movie would be over in 10 minutes. Still entertaining and anLook I'm NLT the biggest James Bond fan in the world, but I don't know why this film is getting praised. The first half is slow and dare I say almost somewhat boring, and the motivations of some characters are left unexplained. Also, and this may be me griping, but if Bond wasn't superhuman or a bad guy could hit a target, the movie would be over in 10 minutes. Still entertaining and an improvement over Quantum, though. Expand
  6. Nov 9, 2012
    I've seen most of the Bond movies over the years, and this is probably among the best (at least as good as "Casino Royale," on par with "From Russia With Love" and "Goldfinger.") Moreover, it is a study in what makes Bond a true hero: not the women, not the luxuries, but "for Queen and Country" to the bitter end (and beyond).
  7. Nov 9, 2012
    A total disgrace to the Bond franchise. I can't recall the last time I was this disappointed by a movie. Skyfall has none of the elements that Bond fans like myself have come to expect:

1. Out of the world stunts and grand action sequences, especially the opening set 2. Cool gadgets 3. A smooth, suave agent 4. A villain hell bent on destroying the world (or large parts of it)

2. Cool gadgets
    3. A smooth, suave agent
    4. A villain hell bent on destroying the world (or large parts of it)

Instead, we see a sentimental, introspective Bond who sheds tears (guys, I am serious) fighting against an effeminate villain with a personal vendatta, has no cool gadgets, and mediocre stunts.

Three years since the last movie and this rubbish is what the clowns at MGM/Columbia give us? I want my money back.
  8. Nov 9, 2012
    No Bond film will match up to "Casino Royale". It just can't be done. The villains were perfect, the writing was intelligent, Craig was great, Eva Green was the best Bond girl of all time and the emotional impact was thrilling. That being said, this is about as perfect a Bond movie as you could ever get. A vast improvement over the action-over-storyline "Quantum of Solace", "Skyfall"No Bond film will match up to "Casino Royale". It just can't be done. The villains were perfect, the writing was intelligent, Craig was great, Eva Green was the best Bond girl of all time and the emotional impact was thrilling. That being said, this is about as perfect a Bond movie as you could ever get. A vast improvement over the action-over-storyline "Quantum of Solace", "Skyfall" perfectly blends emotion and stylish action. Bardem is one of the most memorable villains in Bond history and Craig matches his performance. It's a near-perfect Bond film that ranks with the best in the history of the franchise. Expand
  9. Nov 9, 2012
    Skyfall is the best of the Daniel Craig movies. The plot was awesome. Sam did an awesome job with this bond film. Daniel Craig is the best bond Since Sean Connery in my opinion Craig is the best Bond.
  10. Nov 9, 2012
    Two men chase each other across the rooftops of Istanbul, on motorcycles, and then fight each other atop a speeding train not to mention a beautiful woman watching it all and ready to come to the aid of the hero if need be and you are in a theatre watching the 24th film,
  11. Nov 9, 2012
    007 movies were always solid, that does exactly the same.
  12. Nov 9, 2012
    What are movie critics even for these days? This movie was about as good as Prometheus, one decent actor, some nifty special effects, and a total failure of the written word...
  13. Nov 9, 2012
    It's a nice friend to see with your friends. Pretty nice and thrilling. The only drawback is that it tries a little too hard to be serious. Probably should have stuck with more action.
  14. Nov 9, 2012
    Skyfall is another incredible movie for 2012. After Batman, this is probably my favorite movie this year. The action scenes are incredible, the villain is incredible, the music is incredible and best of all the story, this time, is much better developed. After the overly complicated story of Quantum of Solace, Skyfall simplifies things for the better flourishing its elegance and style toSkyfall is another incredible movie for 2012. After Batman, this is probably my favorite movie this year. The action scenes are incredible, the villain is incredible, the music is incredible and best of all the story, this time, is much better developed. After the overly complicated story of Quantum of Solace, Skyfall simplifies things for the better flourishing its elegance and style to maximum heights. Daniel Craig once again does an incredible job as Bond, performing extraordinary in all of the different levels of emotions that this film's Bond demands. Javier Bardem as Silva also makes for a funny and very memorable villain. Overall Skyfall takes some interesting routes that were never expected or done in other 007 movies, and so, ultimately ends up being a very enjoyable and a fresh ride. With Casino Royale and this, Craig's Bond is growing into being the best ever. Expand
  15. Nov 9, 2012
    As a kid all I watched were Bond movies. Sean Connery was my favorite out of all of them. Casino Royale came out and Daniel Craig was so interesting to watch. He was gritty and different than the other's. I'm happy to say that I liked Skyfall even better than Casino Royale. In fact it may be my favorite Bond film yet. Why? Well because Daniel Craig has proved that he is a brilliant bond.As a kid all I watched were Bond movies. Sean Connery was my favorite out of all of them. Casino Royale came out and Daniel Craig was so interesting to watch. He was gritty and different than the other's. I'm happy to say that I liked Skyfall even better than Casino Royale. In fact it may be my favorite Bond film yet. Why? Well because Daniel Craig has proved that he is a brilliant bond. He in fact is one of my favorites. May even be my favorite. In Skyfall his performance is so top notch and well done. The plot is interesting and deeper than other Bond films. One must think about the plot over a day or so. At first it doesn't seem to deep, but than it hits you the next day how deep it actually was. The action scenes are choreographed to perfection. The locations are breath taking. The visuals are stunning. Javier Bardem is masterful in this film. I could not help but smile whenever he talked. His dialogue was so evil and twisted. His character was the most colorful of the film, and also the of the most colorful and rememberable villains in the Bond films. Bardem is flawless through out the whole film. Sam Mendes directed Skyfall with up most skill. He adds new elements to Bond, but is sure not to forget about keeping some classic Bond elements in the mix. I am very impressed with Skyfall. In fact I can't wait to see what's next for Bond. I would hope that Craig would return, because I have become so attached to his Bond. Excellent work by the cast and crew. This film is the best movie I have seen so far this year! I hope it gets Oscar attention. It certainly deserves it! Expand
  16. Nov 9, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Based on reviews, I thought this movie would impress me and knock my socks off; and perhaps I walked in expecting too much, but I walked out thinking, "meh."

It wasn't a terrible movie, but I don't understand why everyone is saying it's so great.

There were way too many plot holes that took me out of the movie. The biggest one that ran throughout the movie was, "Why didn't Silva just kidnap M?" At the end of the movie, it turns out his plans was to kill M but also himself. Why did he go through all the effort of the entire movie when he could have just kidnapped M to begin with? He clearly had the knowledge, skills, and resources to do so. His whole reason for doing anything was because he had M (mommy) issues.

His entire "plan" hinged on Bond wanting to get captured by him and then Bond taking him prisoner. And why would Bond want to be captured in that way anyways? Wouldn't it make more sense to take Severine, give her protective custody and interrogate her? She knew where Silva was and appeared ready and willing to give Bond that knowledge anyways. They could have found the location that way, and then sent in the commandos. The second part of his "plan" was getting captured and then escaping. Why go through all that? Just attack the hearing that he knew M was going to be in anyways, without having to deal with planning an incredibly elaborate escape. Or, back to the big issue, just kidnap her. *side note: it is clearly established that Bond is chasing Silva through rush-hour crowds, yet the train that crashes through the ceiling and almost hits Bond is empty except for the driver. Where did all the people go?*

And about his escape. The second biggest problem for me. Q, this genius technology guy, plugs in Silva's computer, who has already been acknowledged as a master hacker, straight into MI6's network?!? Seriously?! Wouldn't you try to get what's on the computer without connecting it to a network? Or if you had to connect it to a network, connect it to an isolated one? If guys like Q are in charge of computer stuff at MI6, no wonder they got so easily hacked.

Skyfall. James Bond had super rich parents. Great. Their death messed him up. Great. He doesn't like talking about it. Great. But that's as far as we go. But fine, let's say we're not going to delve into that. At Skyfall, after M and Kincade escape, why are they using the flashlight? I can get Kincade maybe not thinking of that, but M, who leads a spy organization doesn't think about how a flashlight could give away their position at night?

Anyways, those are just the big ones that stick out in my head. Those took me out of the movie and made me just wonder, "what the heck are these people doing?!" throughout most of the movie.
  17. Nov 9, 2012
    I'm genuinely surprised this movie is getting such rave reviews, I thought it was awful. It tries so hard to be dark and serious, but to me it came across as completely shallow. I never felt empathy for Bond in this movie, and I don't get how I was supposed to when he never shows any emotion or attachment to anything the whole movie. That would have been OK if it was just about him being aI'm genuinely surprised this movie is getting such rave reviews, I thought it was awful. It tries so hard to be dark and serious, but to me it came across as completely shallow. I never felt empathy for Bond in this movie, and I don't get how I was supposed to when he never shows any emotion or attachment to anything the whole movie. That would have been OK if it was just about him being a badass but here they spend huge chunks of the movie where you're supposed to buy that he's "vulnerable" and "complex". But it kinda doesn't work when the guy is practically invincible and nothing ever affects him, in fact I would have been ok if they did a twist where they tell you Bond was actually a robot all along, that's how wooden the character was. So yeah, the psychology aspect just didn't do it for me, and not helping matters there was only one really memorable action scene and it's in the opening sequence (the intro was amazing I'll give the movie that) : it was basically a borefest for two hours after the intro. You could argue it's the second "best" JB movie based on the cinematography alone because it's true the movie is beautifully shot, but then again it doesn't matter when you don't care about anything that's going on. That wasn't the case in Casino Royale where I genuinely cared about the character, because they showed you he was human and not just a cold robot. Expand
  18. Nov 9, 2012
    Thank God I can finally give my review, I watched this two weeks ago in UK and I still stand by my comment, this is the best Bond ever. I finds this due to the amazing characterisation giving us the some classic and brand new Bond characters that we care about and want to see more of. Between these great characters there is also great chemistry, old and new. What is possibly the movie'sThank God I can finally give my review, I watched this two weeks ago in UK and I still stand by my comment, this is the best Bond ever. I finds this due to the amazing characterisation giving us the some classic and brand new Bond characters that we care about and want to see more of. Between these great characters there is also great chemistry, old and new. What is possibly the movie's greatest characteristic is the amazing cinematography, especially in the Shanghai scene which looks absolutely gorgeous and very memorable. Finally it contains some of the best scenes of all time in my opinion, one involving a certain classic Bond car. In the end Skyfall is a very funny, action packed and extremely memorable and enjoyable movie that is also emotionally involving with a more personal story line. Bond is Back and it looks like he is here to stay. Expand
  19. Nov 9, 2012
    Nothing short of excellent or, just to tone it down a tad: extremely good. As a non-Bond fan (meaning I never saw any of the previous Bond movies, just because I never really got curious about it), I feel I can recommend this to my fellow casual viewers without the faintest hesitation. I'm sure Bond fans will also find plenty to enjoy about Skyfall, but I can't venture into putting myselfNothing short of excellent or, just to tone it down a tad: extremely good. As a non-Bond fan (meaning I never saw any of the previous Bond movies, just because I never really got curious about it), I feel I can recommend this to my fellow casual viewers without the faintest hesitation. I'm sure Bond fans will also find plenty to enjoy about Skyfall, but I can't venture into putting myself in their shoes, as it wouldn't be quite honest. From a casual viewer's perspective though, let me reiterate: Skyfall is very, very good.

From the superb credit sequence (coming, as it seems to be a well-established habit by now, after a pretty long opening sequence), with its retro and yet quite modern graphical style, to the not surprising but still quite well orchestrated ending, the movie has more to offer than you'd expect and is potentially well capable of pleasing different kinds of audience.

To be honest, I didn't have very high expectations about the acting, which instead turned out to be first-class: Craig positively surprised me (now I know he's much more than the sexy, hunky, ladies-pleasing figurine he is also meant to be), and Bardem was just insanely good, as if the role (which may well be the case) was tailored right on him. Dench was also unquestionably an excellent choice, and I could go on praising basically the whole cast without fear of saying anything crazy.

The story is well constructed; nothing particularly new to the genre, but it does always maintain the right pace, without holes, haste or dragging of any kind. The opening sequence had me hum with undisguised disappointment for quite a while (it's a long one), as it's basically a long, much filmic chase riddled with a plethora of unnecessary explosions and quite ludicrous "in the very nick of time" moments. Not to mention the abuse of "bloody" in the first dialogues ('cause yes, we get it's the smallest things that help create an atmosphere, but insisting too much on some will threaten to break the suspension of disbelief). This all had me strongly hope that wasn't what I went to see.

Luckily, it wasn't. Not at all. Instead, I was treated with a fine, I'd say even classy, plot served with acumen and that touch of irony that, or at least so I am told, characterises the Bond movies as a series. Even I, as a non-fan, could appreciate a few nods to the long line of Bond gadgets from the older movies, gently touched on all along Skyfall. This never being too much, nor ever too blatant or insisting, and always done with a hint of irony, made a very good impression on me. And the fact that Skyfall doesn't take itself too seriously, though managing to remain "realistic" (or let's say plausible), is in my opinion one of the movie's big strengths.

A brief mention is also due, I think, to the soundtrack. Though never stellar (and much less effective if listened to off the movie), it manages to convey all it's supposed to in such a motion picture: tension when it's the case, a little distension at the right moments, and an overall sense of adventure, but on the classy and refined side. And the same be said about Adele's title song - again, from a non-fan but rather very casual listener: job very well done.

If someone had told me I'd be so pleased with a movie choice my girlfriend made (she got to pick it this time), I would've hardly believed it. Turns out she was so right I feel like I owe her something of a public apology. So here it is, and to all other readers I can't but give the banal advice: go see it, you won't regret it. And this is especially true (at least from my perspective) for non-fans, casual viewers, Bond first-timers, and all other conceivable categories falling out of the "Bond fan" tag.
  20. Nov 9, 2012
    Let the Skyfall, take your money, waste your time. Let's face it all, this film is the worst James Bond movie has ever been made. This film does not even feels like a JB movie. At least there is a little bit JB feel in Quantum of Solace. Skyfall's intro is not amazing like old JB films. The story is so ridiculous that they tried to fill it with James you are too old thingy. Seriously,Let the Skyfall, take your money, waste your time. Let's face it all, this film is the worst James Bond movie has ever been made. This film does not even feels like a JB movie. At least there is a little bit JB feel in Quantum of Solace. Skyfall's intro is not amazing like old JB films. The story is so ridiculous that they tried to fill it with James you are too old thingy. Seriously, James Bond cannot shoot an object properly because he is too old. Actually, the story has fatal flaws which I am not going to mention them. Bond girl has nothing to do with story, plus bad acting skills. Bond acts creepy to the situations. With Naomie Harris helping JB feels like watching an Ocean's Eleven film. The new Q keeps failing in every situation. Some elements are stolen from The Dark Knight Rises in a creepier way. There are CGI's and they seem very cheap. The music is inappropriate with the scenes. Why did they change the old composer?. I really liked David Arnold, I still listen to his old JB soundtracks. And what about the director? His first action movie, right? The camera is so close to Daniel Craig in every scene. Let the audience see the beautiful places like Shanghai, Istanbul. The director shows the Omega watch in an action scene. What kind of advertisement is this?. There is a scene Bond looking to his phone doing nothing. Finally, the final fight between Bond and the villian is not that thrilling. If you like to watch a cheap action movie, lower your expectations and watch it. The series had a formula but the producers keep insisting of not doing it. So, I'm done with the series. Expand
  21. Nov 9, 2012
    A really well done film, with a corny "Home Alone" ending. Had a great mix of classic 'Bond' elements with a modern variation. I particularly enjoyed Q, though the lack of a bond girl was a bit of a let down. Overall, highly recommended but not a perfect 10.
  22. Nov 9, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Wow, even after a week this movie is still quite fresh in mind. Pros: Javier Bardem, what can I say. A copycat of Heath Ledger's Joker, yet mixed in with a bit of Julian Assange and you get one of the creepiest, yet brilliant villains of all the Bond franchises. And so determined to kill a single person.

Judi really did a great job for her swan song. First time that M actually became a principal rather than a supporting, and she really gave a good impression.

Lots of sarcastic jokes interlaced in the movie. Depending on your tolerance this may be quite annoying to some but to me, the laughters in the cinema when I watched is testament enough.

This movie really came full circle of the reimaging of Bond. Daniel Craig is without doubt one of the best Bond's for the 21st century. Now you really can trace him evolving from a blunt, cold blooded assassin, to being the legend himself. You even get to see how certain characters have begun their lives in MI6 in this newer Bond

The plot was brilliantly layed out, yet unconvoluted unlike some movies that pretentiously use it as "complexity". You know what da Silva wants, but never know how it is to be implemented. Quite clever writing. And the theme of going old school, to outwit cyberterrorism is quite smartly written, going gritty ala Sean Connery days with lesser gadgets, more grit, with a few hiccups. You can also see the clash between Cold War attitudes vs. current liberalist post Wikileaks attitude as part of the theme. I didn't need to waste time recalling areas with plot holes, or if there are the escapism was intense enough to distract me.

Cons: Action. Because this movie tries to break free from QoS Bournification, it kinda overcompensated. No really memorable scenes came into mind. Part of it may come from the movie's tight budget, and it will be it's Achilles heel as action minded audiences will come out of there yawning and giving unfair criticisms. It all comes down to personal taste but come on, the old school movies that were so highly praised were not flamboyant in action too.

The third act. A precedent in Bond history as the villain..... doesn't die in a typical fashion. Anticlimactic, almost like Bane in TDKR. But at least he kept up the creepy up to the end and died with dignity. Furthermore there is a question of why he kept throwing grenades at a burning house instead of just storming in if he wants M, shouldn't more precision be used instead?

Product placement is very atrocious. You can see it in the pre-screening and some of it doesn't end up in the film, it ends up on the tie in game. Again a side effect of making a film on a tighter budget.

Bond MIA during his 3 months on a beach. First WTF was that 2 scene sex scene? Pointless. And whilsta subplot involves Bond getting shell-shocked with his work supposed to be in this movie, it was poorly expositioned. Pointless especially when he got on the 1st flight to London the second he heard MI6 was blown up. I think what Mendes was trying to do was to draw a comparison between Bond and da Silva given their similar circumstances, but this was so underdeveloped.

Bond's backstory was interesting. I want MORE, yet it was dangled out like a **** and stopped being mentioned by the beginning of act 3.

Thomas Newman did a fairly good job using older Bond music in action scenes, but Powell was better. At some point when the DB5 was blown up, the music goes upbeat as if to suggest it pissed Bond off. Inappropriate, only invocative to Bond fans, but just looks corny.

Naomie Harris is going to be a bit of a problem as Moneypenny. 1st she's a field op who thinks she can be at Bond's level. Any form of chemistry in the old Moneypennies is gone because it all hinges on Moneypenny being the (rather sexistly) damsel trying to get to Bond's heart. Even in the 80s to 90s Moneypenny is sarcastic but still charming. That doesn't work here since she can do what a field op can. Those flirty moments just doesn't work, no chemistry....

Conclusion: Superb movie, probably the best so far ,but compared to Casino Royale this one just missed by the skin of its teeth. The story is great, completes the saga, Adele was great, Bardem was memorable, but the action is lackluster, underused subplots and anticlimactic fights drags the movie a bit. It also will get shot by action-minded moviegoers interested in QoS or Rises, but for me its a thumbs up to the max. Here's to a fruitful career, Mr Craig.
  23. Nov 9, 2012
    Skyfall, the new James Bond film, is one of the best in the Bond series. Skyfall takes the Bond character to another level, it really develops him. If in "Cassino Royale" and "Quantum of Solace" Daniel Craig was a good Bond, in Skyfall, he is Bond. The action scenes are awesome, the dialogues are great, but what really stands out is Javier Bardem as the villain, he is one of the best BondSkyfall, the new James Bond film, is one of the best in the Bond series. Skyfall takes the Bond character to another level, it really develops him. If in "Cassino Royale" and "Quantum of Solace" Daniel Craig was a good Bond, in Skyfall, he is Bond. The action scenes are awesome, the dialogues are great, but what really stands out is Javier Bardem as the villain, he is one of the best Bond villains ever. It´s a bit overly long, but apart from that this film is great! Expand
  24. Nov 9, 2012
    It was G-d awful!
    Consistent blatant product placement.
    The shout outs to the past bond films were nostalgic but seemed forced for cheap thrills. The CGI in the first scene was TERRIBLE and was clear that it was computer generated. Q wasn't fantastic but not terrible either. Fiennes was a nice casting choice though. Naomie Harris was poorly cast. I just don't think it was the role for
    It was G-d awful!
    Consistent blatant product placement.
    Q wasn't fantastic but not terrible either. Fiennes was a nice casting choice though. Naomie Harris was poorly cast. I just don't think it was the role for her.
    Who scored the movie? Terrible pacing in music at the wrong time. I don't know what people are seeing in this film. The script was choppy and unfinished. I can't criticize it more without spoiling the film. This is a travesty for the 50th anniversary.
    Oh and Javier Bardem's performance was WAY over the top and not as menacing as he could have been.

There are some good fight scenes and some good scenes in general but its just terrible all over at the end of the day.
  25. Nov 9, 2012
    This film is a rare action masterpiece
  26. Nov 9, 2012
    Sympathy for the Devil

Sympathy for the Devil

Sam Mendes' James Bond makes the mistake of making the villain more compelling than the hero. Javier Bardem, only introduced a hour into the film, is so convincing as the bad guy, he makes the rest of the film seem very contrived. The film talks modernity through 1950's clipped Oxbridge tones. Dench, Fiennes, Wilshaw - it's Cameron toffs that dominate the screen. Only the plumber with the 00 prefix sounds 'working class' and he is a Scottish Laird -- even the black Moneypenny seems to have attended at last a Redbrick and Roedean. It starts well enough,with Bond killed by friendly fire. Then, without a word of explanation, he returns. How? A plot to kill M is hatched by deranged former agent Bardem.Trouble is, I found myself cheering him on. Wrong, huh? I preferred the emotional roller coaster of Casino Royale to this - I cared more about Bond and Vesper than Bond and M. Too much jingoism as well. I'd kill M too if I were in the service - heartless ****
  27. Nov 9, 2012
    James Bond films were never really considered as great films. They are good escapist fares, but never considered as something more than that. On some occasions, such as 'On Her Majesty Secret Service' or 'Casino Royale', the Bond films rose to become something more, but they are far and between. Until now. Skyfall may be one of the best Bond film of all time, and may be the best film ofJames Bond films were never really considered as great films. They are good escapist fares, but never considered as something more than that. On some occasions, such as 'On Her Majesty Secret Service' or 'Casino Royale', the Bond films rose to become something more, but they are far and between. Until now. Skyfall may be one of the best Bond film of all time, and may be the best film of 2012. It's a character piece that deconstructs who Bond really is and his relationship with those surrounding him, in particular with 'M'. The cinematography is top notch, the plot sublime and Sam Mendes delivers. But at the heart of Skyfall is the performances of its actors. Craig finally becomes the best Bond since Connery, imbuing great depth to this character. Judi Dench finally does her best turn yet, while Bardem delivers an over the top performance as Silva, one of Bond's most memorable villain. Again, I can't say enough of this, one of the finest film of 2012, and the best Bond film of all time. Don't miss it. Expand
  28. Nov 9, 2012
    Sam Mendes achieved the perfect balance between the realism in Casino Royale and the classic Bond elements. 007 fans will have a great time appreciating the subtle references to other films (unlike the ones in Quantum of Solace which were thrown right at your face). Once more, Daniel Craig is amazing as the most badass James Bond to date along with Timothy Dalton. This time he does a greatSam Mendes achieved the perfect balance between the realism in Casino Royale and the classic Bond elements. 007 fans will have a great time appreciating the subtle references to other films (unlike the ones in Quantum of Solace which were thrown right at your face). Once more, Daniel Craig is amazing as the most badass James Bond to date along with Timothy Dalton. This time he does a great job on portraying a weak and more vulnerable Bond that has lost his touch and is tired of life. Judi Dench at this point can act as M in her sleep, but this time we see a more human side of 007's boss as she tries to keep cool in the most chaotic circumstances. The relationship between Bond and M is explored as never before. Javier Bardem will certainly be remembered as Silva: one of the best villains in Bond history with his threatening and enjoyable presence. Ralph Fiennes is great as usual, this time posing as the one who comes to put Bond and M in their places. Also, the music by Thomas Newman and the cinematography by Roger Deakins are top notch. The only flaws I found in Skyfall are that even though Ben Whishaw's portrayal is cool, Q is more like Anna Grimsdottir from the Splinter Cell games than Q (the gadgets are deeply missed in the Daniel Craig films) and the Bond girls do a good job but they aren't as important as in other films. Skyfall has one of the best stories in the 007 series without ever forgetting watching James Bond has to be exciting. Expand
  29. Nov 9, 2012
    $10 to see this $200M movie? Count me in. A super fun long opening action sequence. Gorgeous tailored clothing. Beautiful cinematography. Attractive people. A sensible character backstory and motivation. High tech. Low tech. Retro tech. About 50 amazing set pieces.

And James Bond fixing his cuff length after jumping from a crane onto a moving train.
  30. Nov 9, 2012
    Possibly the best bond movie ever - and I have seen all the other ones. It is good exactly because it is nothing like the other ones. This movie feels more like a Die Hard (part 1) than a Bond flick. Believable storyline, forward looking and modern script and awesome direction. Daniel Craig has totally redeemed himself on this one. I always looked at him as too gruff to suit the BondPossibly the best bond movie ever - and I have seen all the other ones. It is good exactly because it is nothing like the other ones. This movie feels more like a Die Hard (part 1) than a Bond flick. Believable storyline, forward looking and modern script and awesome direction. Daniel Craig has totally redeemed himself on this one. I always looked at him as too gruff to suit the Bond character, but this role demanded exactly that rough exterior and could not have been done by anyone else (with the possible exception of Sean Connery)

If I tried (really hard) to find fault with it, all I could say is, its rather long! But an all around awesome movie ...

1. Reviewed by: Dana Stevens
    Nov 9, 2012
    Skyfall leaves you wondering whether this incarnation of the character has anywhere left to go. It's the portrait of a spy at the end of his rope by an actor who seems close to his.
  2. Reviewed by: Rene Rodriguez
    Nov 9, 2012
    Mendes' approach to action is classical and elegant - no manic editing and blurry unintelligible images here - but what makes the movie truly special is the attention he gives his actors.
  3. Reviewed by: Mike Scott
    Nov 9, 2012
    The sky is far from falling on the Bond franchise. In fact, it is as good as it has ever been. What's more, Craig is reportedly on board for at least two more outings, so Q had better get to work on those bifocals because 007 is no where near ready for retirement.