7.5

1. Jul 15, 2014
    Skyfall is nothing less than an achievement, not just for action films, but for bond films in general. It is as much of a progression as Casino Royale was. These are how bonds need to be made, they are brilliant. A veteran franchise like this still has a bright future, and I can’t wait to see what Hollywood will do with the next one.
  2. May 22, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This movie was better than the original bond movies. In the End, there was a huge house explosion that was so big it was very loud. Adele was good in the song too. Expand
  3. Nov 29, 2013
    Darker and more serious, this Bond installment thrills from start to finish through its suspenseful tone, top-notch acting, witty dialogue and its many action sequences.
  4. Sep 24, 2013
    Is this the true Bond? Not 100%, but it does manage to stand alone as one of the greatest productions of all time. Everything about this movie is to a legendary standard. Honestly, it's a legendary movie and you need to seek it out. The reasons why I think this is one of the best movies of all time are for reasons I never knew I wanted. For the most part, I'm not all that interested in the soundtrack in movies, but this one is simply put it, captivating. Adele was the perfect artist to perform 'Skyfall' and it shows but a few minutes into the movie. The performance is plain and simple some of the greatest I have ever seen, which is stand out in the interactions with Daniel Craig's Bond and Javier Bardem's Silva. The scripting is silly in true Bond fashion, which I have no idea why people have not commented on when saying this isn't the true Bond. But what is the true Bond? The true Bond is silly dialogue, taking human like damage, facing his foes with some fear, and being a womaniser. And when we're true to ourselves, the film succeeds in all the categories. This is quite simply one of the best Bond films I've ever seen, if not THE very best. This film is a very rare case, an action-thriller that doesn't even attempt to be overly bad ass, and instead goes for a very realistic plot with a realistic narrative, which is probably what I love the most about 007, it's all carried out realistically, and close to home. It's almost scary, this film has changed my view on life, and made me question my trust in the world. When a film is that impactful and controversial, and had me clapping mere minutes into the movie, I just can't help myself with this one. The final verdict is a perfect score, a 10/10. It really goes to show what a 'Triple A' development can give us. It's been a long time since I've issued a perfect score, not since Toy Story 3 in 2010, making this one of the best films of the decade. Expand
  5. Sep 20, 2013
    One of the best recent Bonds, Skyfall works great as a drama as well as having some classic Bond action scenes. Daniel Craig is a very good portrayer of Ian Fleming's character, and these movies are the perfect showcases for the actor's talents. Overall, a must-see for Bond fans or anyone else who wants to see a good drama and action movie.
  6. Aug 24, 2013
    Intricate and dramatic but not too much to overlook it's gritty and fun action, 'Skyfall' is one of the top Bond films. Craig is the better Bond, except for Sean Connery. Bardem is in a very accomplished role as this enigmatic, lunatic who keeps thickening the plot as it goes on. I loved this so much, I watched in the movies TWICE.
  7. Jul 16, 2013
    This is one of the BEST Bond films ever made, that brings Bond back after the terrible 'Quantum of Solace'. Bond is brought back after four long years in major style and emotional context that really matches the times. Everything about this film is thrilling- the story is very well written and witty, the acting is top notch (the best cast ever in a Bond film), the music is amazing, the title song is classic Bond and one of the best songs of the series, the villain is truly frightening and threatening, the action is epic, etc. Another perfect Bond film that brought Bond back with a bang. Great, great film. Expand
  8. Jun 30, 2013
    Welcome to the 21st century James Bond! Danielle Craig was superb as Bond in Casino Royal, but Quantum of Solace lacked, well everything. So long cold war, hello cyber terrorism. The days of campy exploding pens and laser watches gives way to a villain who is believable and gadgetry/stunts/props that are relatively believable (willful suspension considered). The acting is superb and the cinematography is carefully created. The 50th anniversary gives me hope that the "Hollywood" brain trust is not completely lost in remakes and sequels than really don't need to be made. Expand
  9. Jun 18, 2013
    Okay so is bond #23 everything you hoped for it to be or is it just a huge flop? Haha, you kidding? This film is great. But before I go any farther… …Adele, you, you are what 007 opening credits were made for. Now that I got that out of the way… This film opens up explosively. From the first action scene to the beautiful opening credit sequence you have already gotten your moneys worth. bond #23 is easily the “best looking” one to date. I’m not only talking effects here, I mean lightning and camera work. The use of colour really goes a step forward here, setting the mood perfectly even when locale jumps from one another. Not only that, but for an action film, it knows how to slow down and become even a bit artsy. Let me explain.
    There is a scene in which Bond is chasing “someone”, lets call him, “wood be assassin.” This “wood be assassin” is on a mission of his own. Instead of going in guns blazing, he decides to be very stealthy. While doing so they enter a room beautifully illuminated with blue light; zero sound was used in this scene as well, making it ten times as thrilling, and this is only one example, there are plenty more.
    When Bond meets his enemy for the first time (played by Javier Bardem) The scene also lacks any score of any kind, but to good effect. Instead you hear only two things, Javier’s long menacing metaphor, and the echoing sounds of his footsteps.
    Besides these little details, Skyfall has great performances by Daniel Craig and especially Judi Dench. These two are the highlights of this movie, and by that I mean this story focuses heavily on their relationship and the many details about MI6. This story is easily the strongest one from an emotional standpoint.
    If I have any gripes, one would be the length. I know it’s a Bond film and there are many story details to fit in, and I am a man who can respect slow paced films as long as they benefit the story and or serve a purpose to the suspense/mood of a film. But a few points in the middle of here I found myself wanting the film to progress a bit faster.
    However,
  10. Jun 4, 2013
    "Coming off the trashy Quantum Of Solace, Skyfall is the bond everyone has been waiting for, filled with thrill to the minute excitement, impossible obstacle's and one of the best Bond Villains in over a decade. Skyfall is simply a movie you can't miss." A
  11. Jun 3, 2013
    Reading reviews by other users on this sight baffles me; who really cares if there is blatant product placement? Did it ruin the movie that much that you had to give 0? This is easily one of the best Bond films ever made, and Daniel Craig is certainly a contender for the title of "greatest Bond ever".

Craig portrays Bond in a way we have not previously seen; he presents Bond as a broken
    man that's lost his edge forget the suave, handsome, perfect man that most of us believe Bond to be and picture a washed up, bearded, borderline alcoholic, a man who is merely a hollow shell of what he once was. That's what makes Craig so appealing, he plays Bond with a sense of realism and vulnerability. The villain of this movie is wonderfully portrayed by Javier Bardem (known for his portrayal of Anton Chigurh in No Country For Old Men); a man who relies more on his brain than physical strength, a man betrayed by his own people and on a personal vendetta against the woman who betrayed him. He's a believable villain, bearing many similar traits to the villain of Die Hard 4. Bardem plays the part with a great deal of charm; although he has a small amount of screen time he makes the most of every scene he is in and was undeservedly snubbed for an Supporting Actor Academy Award.

Sam Mendes has made a perfect Bond that is realistic but also pays tribute to the Bond films of the past. Mendes, unlike his Bond director predecessors, develops the background characters giving them depth and emotion; M now serves a purpose in this movie and is portrayed by Judi Dench as a woman afraid of letting her country down and losing her pride. Q is introduced in this movie as a considerably younger man, he's a computer genius with a poor sense of humour who despite his intelligence is still outsmarted by the villain. Apart from developing the characters, Mendes also utilises some brilliant cinematography; the fight between Bond and the assassin is reminiscent of the fight in Moonraker and the villain is introduced with a 30 second static camera that doesn't move instead the villain walks towards the camera until we can discern his appearance.

The music for this film is conducted by Thomas Newman who does a brilliant job supplying background music for scenes. However my one real criticism of the film is the opening song; Skyfall by Adele. I dislike the fact that she was hired, not because I have a personal dislike of her music, but because the producers aimed to release a commercially successful song that would win the Academy Award. The song is easily one of the worst in the history of Bond movies and should have been replaced with a song that reflects the tone of the movie.

Apart from that criticism this is easily one of the best Bond films ever made, its a return to form after the disappointment of Quantum of Solace, and Daniel Craig will be the greatest Bond ever. Roll on Bond 24.
  12. May 15, 2013
    The 007 franchise was never the same after the entry of Daniel Craig as James Bond. Skyfall is not only 23rd film in the franchise as well as the best so far. Sam Mendes brings a magnificent thriller and well run with great action scenes and performance of the cast.
  13. Apr 21, 2013
    One of the best movies ever in my opinion. If action had a name, it would be James Bond. The movie had exciting action sequences, a good plot, and never-ending edge-of-your-seat thrills.
  14. Mar 26, 2013
    The 23rd entry in the James Bind franchise is without a doubt my favorite one yet! It felt very personal and emotional and it shows that Bond is not as invincible as he use to be. The movie also has the best Bond villain since Goldfinger, something that this series needed badly. Honestly, I think Javier Bardem and Judi Dench should've won awards for their roles. The cinematography is some of the best I've ever seen in any movie. The long, subtle shots showed me that an action movie doesn't always need quick, rough shots. And even with all those excellent qualities, the moment in the movie that astounded me the most was the villain's entrance on the island. I had never seen a shot like that and it nearly took my breath away. Bardem was as charming and menacing as ever and the story he tells is spooky as hell. Do not miss this movie. I assure you will regret it! Expand
  15. Mar 24, 2013
    This James Bond entry is very different from any other James Bond movie ever made. It really takes you to the inner depths of James Bond. Yet it is still everyting James Bond should be. Exciting, action pack and sexy. It is also at times with Javier Bardem, suspenseful. And the ending is truly surprising. Overall, it's still an action-packed thrill ride, just done a lot better than any of them.
  16. Mar 21, 2013
    A good James Bond film always needs martinis, gadgets, beautiful women and guns. Thankfully, director Sam Mendes’s (American Beauty, Road to Perdition) Skyfall has all of that and more. Bond turned 50 in 2012 and he didn’t age a day since he first made his debut in 1962’s Dr. No. Skyfall, now the 23rd Bond film in the series is Daniel Craig’s third outing as the character and he delivers his most emotionally riveting performance as Bond yet. Set after the events of Casino Royale and Quantum of Solace, Skyfall presents a Bond who is clearly off his game and is suffering from some form of post-traumatic stress syndrome. Bond’s personal dilemmas need to set aside as he is confronted by a psychotic killer hell bent on destroying MI6, the British secret intelligence service. Not only does this psychopath possess and invaluable list of names that could cause the death of hundreds of British agents, but that same person shares a past with a very notable character in the series and is intent on making life a living hell for Bond and his morally conflicted mentor, M.

Craig shares the screen with the always amazing Judi Dench, who returns as Bond’s boss M, Naomie Harris, a fellow agent with a very unique name, Ben Whishaw, as the wonderfully sarcastic new gadget master Q, and Ralph Fiennes as a British agent who, of course, is more than he appears to be. One of the most important parts to any Bond film is the villain. The previous Craig films have always suffered when it comes to a memorable megalomaniac, but there is no denying that Javier Bardem’s performance as Silva, a deranged cyber-terrorist with a vicious grudge, is one of the most memorable Bond villains since Goldeneye’s 006, Alec Trevelyan.

The performances are all top notch, but the action scenes are what sets this movie a part from most films this year. A breathtaking motorcycle chase across rooftops in Istanbul turns into one of the craziest fights on a train that you'll ever see, and that’s barely the first ten minutes of the film. Quite a few action scenes pay homage to those found in prior Bond outings, while still making them unique at the same time. Mendes grounds the action, allowing it to be thrilling without veering into brain numbing absurdity. Skyfall has plenty of other goodies for fans too. Cinematographer Roger Deakins’ work is gorgeous as he perfectly captures the beauty of Istanbul, Shanghai and other cities around the world. His visual flair enriches everything from the action scenes to the quiet conversations between characters. The always famous opening credit sequence adds yet another great song to list. The song, simply called Skyfall, was written and performed by Adele. Adele’s work is easily one of the best Bond themes ever.
    The film will please 007 fanatics as well as newcomers who are unfamiliar with the super-spy’s globetrotting escapades. Skyfall is easily one of the best Bond films in the series and it sets a very high bar for the next adventure.
  17. Mar 19, 2013
    Watching skyfall make you realise how much we all love 007. Skyfall is my favourite bond movie the acting is incredible. What more can I say apart from WOW.
  18. Mar 14, 2013
    Lashing, dashing, breathtaking, powerful. Best Bond Ever. Skyfall is a mesmerizing movie, it's the first 2 minutes that grasp you in the movie. Bond movies such as On Her Majesty Service has been very well compelled and also compared to the new effects in the film. Javier Bardem is my favorite Bond villain first I was a Gert Frobe person but now that has changed after Bardem entered Bond films. The Climax was amazing and sad. Skyfall is both a fall and a rise. Expand
  19. Mar 3, 2013
    Best Bond movie ever made, there is a lot of action in it and I like that, good actors, especially Javier Bardem and Ralph Fiennes. One of the best Bond villains and an epic end. This is a new must see.
  20. Feb 20, 2013
    Best Bond-movie of Daniel Craig and maybe even the best Bond-movie since Roger Moore's. I like the "back to the roots" romantic and that the plot plays a lot in Great Britain.
  21. Feb 19, 2013
    After 50 years, and 50 plus mistakes in Quantum of Solace, director Sam Mendes has delivered the home front of Bond movies, its big, bold, smart, and simply feels like classic Bond, while maintaining its more gritty and realistic approach to the genre.
    It's got all the ingredients of the Bonds of yesteryear with a few spices added in, take out the disastrous films before we had the
    reboot, and they all cumulate in this,and what a thrill to behold.
    An opening scene involving a thrilling chase through Istanbul already feels better than the opening of Quantum, its cleaner, crisper, and is relevant to the story which follows.
    An attack on MI6 sets up a story that is perhaps one of the best Bond plots to grace the big screen, Judi Dench finds her true calling in this film, having a much more pivotal role as M, who is the target of estranged agent Silva, played creepily by Javier Bardem, perhaps not as menacing as his turn in No Country For Old Men, but certainly a nod to classic Bond villains, and the nods don't stop there. Q makes his return to the Bond universe, but in a very different, and in the younger form of Ben Wishaw, its Bond, but with its own modern spin ('What did you expect? An exploding pen?")
    The set pieces are explosive and epic, a subway train tumbling through the roof was a particular highlight, but the climax in the old orphanage was superb, Sam Mendes pulled no punches in delivering an exhilarating finale, even with the inclusion of Albert Finney (The Bourne franchise)
    There where complaints regarding the lack of chemistry between Craig and Naomie Harris, who played Eve in the film, but i personally seen this as deliberate to mask the eventual history behind Eve's character.
    The friendly exchanges between Bond and Q are the real comedic points of the film, with Bond viewing Q basically as a mere schoolboy, Q soon proves his worth as the film progresses with the ongoing mission to identify Silva.
    But it is really the relationship between Bond and M that solidifies her role as a central character within the bond universe, Craig and Dench do a brilliant job in playing the mother and son role which is rare to see for such a weathered franchise, and their friendship, albeit strained, his truly put to the test in Skyfall as M's past makes an unwelcome return. Was it better than Casino Royale, they are quite on par in my opinion, Casino Royale changed the rules completely but Skyfall did a wonderful job of enforcing them, while not trying to stray too far of the British spy's rich history.
    Skyfall rips apart the armour of the previous films and creates a vulnerable and emotional film that doesn't hold back in piercing the chest with a mass of bullets, its true core lies within the history and relationship of the characters, and this film wipes the slate clean to make a point of saying that Bond is here to stay.
  22. Feb 17, 2013
    The movie was good overall. However, I had to stretch my imagination to accept a gunshot by a hi powered rifle and a 3 story drop into canyon type water and survive. But I am not a gun expert so I wont say it is impossible, but the fall is definitely a broken bone (all) fall.
  23. Feb 14, 2013
    All I can say is that this is the best Bond movie to date! I'm really glad that they made Bond a more human character. It was a very different take from any Bond movie to date. It's good to see them trying to keep evolving the franchise. Love the directing and cinematography from Mendes. Can't wait for the next chapter!
  24. Feb 6, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. As you all know, 2012 marks the 50th year of the James Bond series and Skyfall is the 23rd movie in the entire franchise. What I have to say is that Skyfall is an outstanding movie but I will get all the details down but this review will contain spoilers so if you haven't seen the movie, DO NOT read this review, you have been warned.

Skyfall begins with Bond fighting an agent working for a terrorist in Istanbul and then being shot by a female sniper and then drowns in water which makes MI6 claim that Bond is dead but when MI6 is under attack, Bond returns to MI6 to stop the villan. Daniel Craig has done an amazing job with his performance as James Bond as well as Javier Bardem as the antagonist Silva. Both Mr.Craig and Mr.Bardem have both executed their scenes perfectly. Also, the movie does have a lot of awesome and memorable moments such as Bond and his co-worker Eve played by Naomie Harris in Istanbul, Bond in China and the ending. Another great thing about the movie is Judi Dench as M. Her performance was truly memorable that some Bond Fans would want to go back and see. The only problem with this movie is that the movie has some boring scenes like the part where Bond has to redo his training. My final verdict is a 9/10. This is a must see for James Bond fans or if you are someone who wants to see a good movie.
  25. Jan 22, 2013
    Skyfall is a great new take on the James Bond franchise. It really explores the years of toll a life being James Bond would have on a person. It even explores Bond's origins and family life. A great undertaking for a franchise that is usually about giving you cheesy one-liners and large explosions for entertainment. We would get a lot more balance of storyline if every James Bond movie was written this well. Probably one of my favorite Bond movies now. Expand
  26. Jan 22, 2013
    The latest entry to the long-running James Bond series has perhaps hit a high note for the series as a whole, which is fitting, considering it was made for the 50th anniversary of the franchise. Pretty much everything feels right about this movie, the acting is superb from all involved, but I think Javier Bardem's turn as the ever famous Bond villain, in this film Silva, steals the show magnificently: he's just the right amount creepy and eerie as he is camp, liking him to Heath Ledger's Joker is perhaps some of the best praise I can give him (shame he does not have an Oscar nomination, although he does have a BAFTA nomination). The film starts in a very exciting fight and chase scene, but the rest of the film is not as high octane as the opening scene, which is good as it really lets you get to see the characters properly. While most of the old Bond films have him going to exotic places to get the bad guy, Skyfall spends most of its run time in England, and the end of the film in Scotland, again, perfect for the 50th anniversary thing they had going, the scenes outside of England are just as good as ever, particularly the scenes in Shanghai, containing some of the best cinematography I have ever seen. This is not found only in Shanghai, for one of the film's crowning glories is how beautifully shot it really is. On the 50th anniversary topic, several nods are made to what happened in the older films: a lot of these, sadly, went over my head, as I have not seen many Bond films at all. It does deal with the timeline as well as it could, showing an old institution, which is changing with the times, but sticking to its roots was a fine indication of where the series is headed in the future. Exciting, beautiful, tense and disturbing can all be used to describe Skyfall, whose only problem in my book is that the final showdown was a little lackluster in places compared to the rest of the film, helped only by Silva's creepy arrival. The best Bond film? Perhaps. 92/100. Expand
  27. Jan 15, 2013
    As a huge Bond-fan, especially of the last three, I thought this was by far the best ever. The amazing pictures, the fantastic bad guy and the great new additions to the cast, the entertaining story and above all the fabulous Daniel Craig who nails his role even better then in the previous 2 parts. And, girls, Daniel Craig is just hot! With just a towel around his hips it's difficult to focus on the movie so I went to see this movie for three times in the cinema now and still I could see it again. Expand
  28. Jan 9, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This film is by far the best film of 2012. I have seen many complaints ranging from "It wasn't realistic enough" to "It was too realistic and not corny enough like the original Bond films". I have seen every Bond film and my favourite Bond will always be Pierce -- and this can then show I have no problem with the "corny" and over-dramatic Bond films. This film was a work of art, every scene was perfectly scripted, acted and shot and scenes such as the fist-fight in the dimly lit skyscraper took my breath away. The Casino scenes were stylistically beautiful, the opening chase scene was thrilling and perfectly done. Daniel Craig did a great performance, his portrayal of a darker James Bond, slipping from his standards and becoming sloppy is a tale laced with angst and drama but perfectly executed. Silva was a superb bond villain and I adored that the fact he was gay or bisexual was subtle and only hinted at and not made into a grand show or his character's defining attribute -- his line "Life clung to me like a disease" and indeed that whole scene was perfectly delivered and structured. The interactions between Bond, Silva and M in this strange triangle of characters, their interactions, their histories and their motives all clashing together to form this great Bond tale was magnificently done. The only flaws this film had were firstly that the ending scenes set in the house, before the ice lake and the church, dragged on slightly and became a bit tiresome. There was barely any light in these scenes and after fifteen minutes of it, it becomes stagnant. My final flaw and something that really pulled me out of the film was Q sticking two ethernet cables into Silva's laptop and then shouting "How the hell did he get into our systems?" after their system is hijacked. Seriously? At this point everyone knew Silva was a hacker, he was in custody -- so why do that? Why connect the networks via ethernet cables? Isn't Q meant to be a "genius?" And then Q pulls them out of the laptop like "Oh, silly me." Really, really...

But alas, apart from those two flaws -- relatively minor in size -- this film was magnificent and damn near perfect. Definitely give it a watch, buy it on Bluray too. **** get a poster. It's that good.
  29. Jan 8, 2013
    an epic must watch the bond film is back with a huge bang, this film is one definitely to watch, whether you enjoy Bond or not, the film contains an epic mix of suspense, and action with an extremely well structured story line, antagonist, and ending, as well as a straight to the point introduction.

1. Reviewed by: Dana Stevens
    Nov 9, 2012
    Skyfall leaves you wondering whether this incarnation of the character has anywhere left to go. It's the portrait of a spy at the end of his rope by an actor who seems close to his.
  2. Reviewed by: Rene Rodriguez
    Nov 9, 2012
    Mendes' approach to action is classical and elegant - no manic editing and blurry unintelligible images here - but what makes the movie truly special is the attention he gives his actors.
  3. Reviewed by: Mike Scott
    Nov 9, 2012
    The sky is far from falling on the Bond franchise. In fact, it is as good as it has ever been. What's more, Craig is reportedly on board for at least two more outings, so Q had better get to work on those bifocals because 007 is no where near ready for retirement.