7.5

1. Nov 14, 2012
    I have not seen a bond film in a long time. Skyfall was a great movie overall and even better then The Darknight Rises and the theme song for Syfall is now stuck in my head. Skyfall 8.5/10
  2. Nov 14, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Very well done 007 movie. Perfectly spaced out between the action scenes and great CGI. Must see for any action fan. Saw this in IMAX 3D. Thought towards the end it was dragged out whenever the badguy was attacking the house and chasing the lady down. besides that its worth it. Expand
  3. Nov 14, 2012
    Man, they **** it up. The one point I give it is for Roger Deakins, who delivers some gorgeous cinematography (especially in Shanghai). Otherwise, an unbearable, intellectually lazy and ultimately silly endeavor. The reverse Pieta ending, in a church no less, sealed the deal: this film is beyond redemption.
  4. Nov 14, 2012
    an easy review. If you like Bond films, then you will like this one. If not, then likewise probably not. Its a fun, engaging and suspense-filled romp, not to be taken too seriously. the really nice thing is that DC finally does bond properly - cold blooded womanising 60's style Connery-bond. Huzzah. that's what we watch it for. It also shows its easy to make a bond film - forget subtext - just et some hotties, a really good baddie and a decent bond, weave in some fights and a bit of politically enfused drama and bosh. 8/10 easy peasy. Well don eall round, probably almost up there with Goldeneye, and the "classics". Expand
  5. Nov 14, 2012
    I don't care if I sound like a broken record when I say this: Skyfall really is the "Dark Knight" of the James Bond film franchise. You don't need to be a bond fan to enjoy this one. The action is comprehensible and exciting. The acting is great all around, with Daniel Craig and Javier Bardem always threatening to steal the show. Casino Royale was great, but Skyfall may just be better.
  6. Nov 14, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. In a word, disappointing. Javier Bardem's character had the potential to be one of the most memorable villains in the franchise. After his introduction you really felt this was going to get good. Smart, charismatic, and the resources to take over the world. Instead we get this creepy guy's confusing witch hunt to kill M (? Why not just blow her up??). Just bizarre that we are expected to root for characters like Bond and M, when we literally have no reason to. He's a dick and she's a **** The hot bond girl featured in all the commercials has like a 10 minute spot. Where is the evil Bond girl? As people here have already stated, if this wasn't a Bond movie it would be alright. I could buy the betrayal, revenge plot but as a Bond movie it was missing almost every ingredient. Finally, my ears are still bleeding from that awful intro song. Expand
  7. Nov 14, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Stop calling it the best Bond film ever! (Minor Spoilers)

Regardless of whether you think this film is good this film simply isn't the best Bond film ever. In fact, it's not really even Bond. Yes, Daniel Craig is a great choice for Bond I fully agree. Casino Royal is second only to classics like Goldfinger, and Quantum is not as hopeless as the public at large would have you believe. The elephant in the room with Skyfall is the storytelling. Ian Flemming's series of novels creates a world for Bond that is incredibly rich, detailed and logical. Sure at times, it requires suspension of disbelief, but not in an absolute way like a comic book or sci-fi film forces a viewer to do. The true pearls of the Bond series are the films that are tethered in some way to reality. Skyfall Bond is obviously not original content, but no attempt was made to reconcile the character or story with the original intentions of the author. If you have a deep appreciation of the literary character or a complete knowledge of the film series, you are much less likely to enjoy this movie because the plot does not regard the essence of Bond.

I'm shocked that fewer critics have pointed out Skyfall's SHOCKINGLY lazy and poorly executed storytelling. One example, right from the start that I think conveys what I mean:

The first scene, Bond is shot twice including by a military grade sniper rifle. He falls what appears to be 100 meters straight on his back. HOW DID HE SURVIVE? Why does he only have the 9mm shrapnel/wound with his shirt off? To me a masterpiece, or even a decent movie, simply cannot leave points like that (and literally a dozen other major plot gaps for which 'hacking' is the silver bullet) unresolved. Bond is not invincible, he's actually quite vulnerable in the novels. A Bond vehicle cannot invoke suspension of disbelief so outrageously and then expect me to take it seriously. Casino Royal (and many older films in the series) proved that Bond doesn't need to have superhero powers. They can tell a great story, include quality action and obey some basic principles of reality. A Bond story that enters a world so completely devoid of the governing principles of reality is the ultimate copout and at fundamentally not Bond.

Again, non-Bond fans are entitled to say it's a great movie. But it is really asinine to make statements to the effect of 'Best Bond Ever'. Watch all 23. Read one of the books. People would be outraged if Lord of the Rings didn't respect the vision of Tolkien, so why is it different with Flemming?
  8. Nov 14, 2012
    Much better than previous Bonds which were becoming outdated and dull. This is a fairly clever film. The stunts are well put together, the only down side is its a bit slow in places.
  9. Nov 14, 2012
    James Bond is back. Again. And to be quite frank I'm over it. 23 movies and we still see Bond doing his archetype Bond things. Oh look he ordered a martini. Hey look he's driving an Aston Martin. Is that a Walther PPK? He gambles. He wins. He gets a typical Bond girl. Car chases, Foot chases. I mean for me it's all just been done before. It was really cool to see Bond reinvented in Casino Royal, but does every movie have to be the same formula? The only thing that set this one apart was the baddy. Javier Bardem practically single handedly saves this film from going into the annals of Bond failures such as Tomorrow Never Dies. Is it worth the watch? Yeah sure. Watch it for the action. But for old school Bond fans, I think I like my movies with a bit more Connery swagger. This one was shaken. Not stirred. Expand
  10. Nov 14, 2012
    Sky fell flat on the nose
  11. Nov 13, 2012
    I love Daniel Craig as Bond, I have enjoyed enormously the last two Bond films he has been in but the latest installment, Skyfall, left me feeling extremely disapointed. I came out of the cinema feeling like this was directed by someone who was trying to hard to make this 'more' than the other Bond films and by doing so has taken away the essence of what makes Bond, Bond. If you are looking for an action packed, fun, exciting film then this is seriously going to dissapoint you...have you ever known Bond go and hide...well it happens in this film. More annoyingly than the lack of action is that when we do get it, it is shot in such a way that you have no idea who is who until one of the characters dies.."oh so the other person is Bond then". And to top it off there is a villan who looks like David Walliams in a blonde wig. As soon as i saw the baddy i had this picture in my head and spent the rest of the film wondering if Matt Lucas was going to give a cameo in a red spandex unitard?

Be careful about the hype of this film, you may come away extremely dissapointed.
  12. Nov 13, 2012
    Let's be honest here - nobody watches a Bond film for the story. People watch Bond films for the non-stop action, breathtaking locales, and the eccentric villains. With this in mind, one would think that Skyfall would be a recipe for disaster or, at least, a far cry from previous installations in the series. Well, it turns out that Skyfall is really only the latter, as director Sam Mendes plays with the formula to create one of the most satisfying and surprisingly touching films of 2012.
    Almost every component of Skyfall seems to defy the typical Bond canon, which certainly isn't a terrible thing. While Bond later takes a detour in Macau, the entirety of the film is practically set in the British Isles, placing an emphasis on a conflict that primarily takes place in proximity to the MI6 Headquarters. Villain Raoul Silva, played by Javier Bardem, is certainly more eccentric in comparison to the antagonists in Casino Royale and Quantum of Solace. Skyfall also seems to ditch the Bond girl archetype this time around, placing James' troubled but close relationship with M in the spotlight. With the addition of all these factors and an inexperienced, young Q, the film almost feels like another reboot of the entire series, even though Casino Royale was only released 6 years ago.
    If one expected Skyfall to be a film that only focused on the action, that man or woman would be quite wrong. The film feels unexpectedly character-driven, and almost every scene seems deliberate and integral to the story. Of course, it certainly doesn't lack on the action department, as each sequence is brilliantly choreographed and equally thrilling to watch. Don't be surprised to chuckle a bit too, as there is a fair share of light banter among the cast. Ultimately, everything about the film feels so wonderfully put together, that it's difficult to criticize any of its minor shortcomings.
    In a way, Skyfall is a story of fate - it's hard to say that the spy life is all perfect, and it's only inevitable that one's past will get in the way of moving on. This becomes quite apparent in the film's final hour which, may I say, feels both satisfying and painful to watch. Perhaps it's because I've grown to love a certain character so much, but watching the climax of the film certainly allowed me to respect the actors/actresses' performances even more.
    There's something about Skyfall that seems different from most Bond films. It certainly isn't because of its rather lengthy run time, or the "Dark Knight-esque" atmosphere that pervades the second third of the film. It's because Skyfall has something that most arguably lack: a heart. Each and every actor and actress in the film give great performances throughout, and with the inclusion of Javier Bardem playing one of the most psychotic and notable antagonists in recent memory, the film immediately feels more distinct and remarkable.
    Could Skyfall possibly be the best Bond film of all time? Quite possibly, yes. Nothing about this film feels lacking and the only complaint that I would make is that some characters could have had a little more time on screen. (Eve and Kincade in particular) This is certainly one film that is worth the price of admission, and it should further cement Craig's reputation as one of the best Bonds in the entire film series.
  13. Nov 13, 2012
    Like Casino Royale, this Bond film feels more like a movie-movie than a Bond-movie. It's more gritty and personal than the pre-Craig era. The character development is very noticeable and is continued from the previous Craig-films, something which is new and refreshing in the Bond series. However, all this realism make the classic one-liner remarks feel unfunny and forced. The action, though ever present, feels toned-downed and may disappoint those seeking Brosnan-era battle-scenes. This is not "classic Bond" in the cinematic sense, but it's still a damn good film with top-notch acting. Expand
  14. Nov 13, 2012
    Unsatisfactory and underwhelming. sadasdasdasdsadasdsadasafasfsdafsaasssdgsdsdgaasdfsdafdasfsadfasdfsadfsafasdfasdfasasfafafassadasdfsadsadfdaasfaafas
  15. Nov 13, 2012
    Its a 7/10 for me, for the budget they had i was expecting more. Fantastic opening, wonderful song but Daniel Craig lacks the Bond feel at times. Yes he is tough but he doesn't carry himself at time like Connery did. That said it was well directed.
  16. Nov 13, 2012
    Good movie, just not a good Bond movie. The main protagonist (Bond) and antagonist (Silva/Bardem) are underwhelming. I want Bond to be a hero, not a drunken bum (who can oddly survive a crazy high fall into a creek) and I want Bond villain to aspire to more than just silly revenge. It is however very well shot. This falls short of Bourne for me.
  17. Nov 13, 2012
    Although this isn't a great film, it is certainly better than the "Quantum of Solace" bore-fest. It starts out with the ubiquitous car/motorcycle chase we've seen in a thousand movies, then has the two people fighting on top of a moving train we've seen in a thousand more movies. In fact, there is nothing really that original in the entire movie. Even the casino scene has a pit with a Gila Monster in it that will remind you of a Star Wars movie. I would rate the movie a "5", but Javier Bardem is SO good as the bad guy he immediately elevates the movie with his presence. He is quickly becoming a favorite actor of mine. The movie never bored me because it is so action packed, so I have to give it a pass. I saw it in IMAX and this is one of the loudest movies I have seen in awhile. So far the Daniel Craig Bond movies have been missing the humor of the older Bond films, instead focusing on action and drama. They come across as a "superhero" movie instead of an espionage thriller to me. Expand
  18. Nov 13, 2012
    I wouldn't ever claim to much of a James Bond fan but I did enjoy Skyfall. Its a zippy enough spy-thriller with some good set pieces. The opening chase is a good indication of what kind of film Skyfall - senseless but brilliantly done stunts as Bond destroys much traffic trying to catch a spy. Its silly, but still good fun. I felt after this that the film sagged quite a bit but once Javier Bardem appears things pick up nicely. Bardem is wonderfully over the top and is a great choice for a villain. After he arrives, the film rocketed along and as long as you dont think too hard about some of the plot points, its an entertaining thrill ride. I didnt rate Quantum of Solace too highly but Casino Royale and now Skyfall establish Daniel Craigs run as one of the better Bonds. Expand
  19. Nov 13, 2012
    This is a special Bond movie. The Bond franchise struggled to find itself for a while, hampered first by Roger Moore's camp nonsense, then placed under high expectations following Timothy Dalton's two excellent outings and finishing with the mediocre then fun then awful roller coaster ride of four outings from Piers Brosnan.
    Thankfully, Daniel Craig managed to revitalise the series with
    his entries in the series that have gotten better with each outing. Skyfall though stands head and shoulders above the others. There will be no spoilers here, but the final few moments of this movie should ensure that every Bond fan leaves the theatre wearing a broad smile in anticipation of future films.
    Strong emotional engagement, well handled action and a realistically motivated villain. There is much to enjoy here and it stands up to repeated viewing. More please, its good to ave you back Mr Bond.
  20. Nov 13, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. First of all, whoever is simply upvoting positive reviews and downvoting negative ones, you are not helping constructive film criticism. This movie is bad, and there are reasons for that:

1) Bond never gives us a reason to like him as a person, yet we're expected to cheer for him. He's smug and dull. (half of the jokes in the movie didn't get any reaction whatsoever from the theatre I was in) Despite the long run time there is little to no interpersonal character development.
    2) The movie is paced poorly, almost unbearably slow at times. Even long-time Bond fans I was with admitted that they couldn't understand why some scenes went on for as long as they did or why they were even in the film at all.
    3) I'm sorry, but the Bond 'death' scenes are too ridiculous! I couldn't get over it and it's why I have to mark this review as having spoilers to include this point. If you get shot w/ a sniper rifle in the chest and plummet lifelessly underwater, you won't live! How can we take the movie seriously after that? And then you have Bond wrestling w/ a guy in icy water and is completely nonchalant underwater after killing him. Does Bond have superhuman traits that would make any comic book character jealous?

The only redeeming things I can think of this movie are a decent opening and Kincade, the old guy at Skyfall. He is the ONLY character in this movie with any heart that I cared about and enjoyed watching. He alone earns the one point I would be willing to award to this film. Good riddance to the featured M.
  21. Nov 13, 2012
    Enjoyable but the rest of the film never quite keeps pace with the first 15-20 minutes. It just felt like it was lacking that brutality that Casino Royale had bags of and there were flashes where it seemed Daniel Craig had been taking "Cheese Lessons" from Pierce Brosnan. After leaving the cinema I was satisfied due to the fact that it got better towards the end but it was just too slow for far too long during the middle. I still think Craig is the best Bond there's been and I'm looking forward to the next 2 films. Expand
  22. Nov 13, 2012
    A very good Bond by Mr Mendes but can we please have it more realistic in the next episode. The start of the film was great but then it seems to loose its way a bit. The ending at Skyfall. Does anyone believe the bad guys will simply approach as a group in day light! An real terrorist group would approach from several directions. The first Mr Bond would know would be when the seige started. Next, the falling in to the cold lake at night seriously please.... Great film don't get me wrong but aim it an adults - we are not all stupid. Expand
  23. Nov 12, 2012
    Despite it's flaws, which were a tad too straight-forward plot as well as a few cliches, Skyfall was a fun, adventurous film that was well put-together and delivered as what all Bond movies were meant to be--a popcorn flick with oodles of action. Although perhaps the most indulgent treat it offers is the performance by Javier Bardem, who played his deranged, psychotic role to near perfection.
  24. Nov 12, 2012
    Story makes no sense. Enough plot holes and ridiculous moments where you are questioning what where they thinking to fill out any Roger Moore Bond movie. Series that started with amazing Casino Royale keeps going down the hill thanks to over the top action sequences and no regard for coherent plot. Fails miserably in comparison to MI4.
  25. Nov 12, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I enjoyed the film, though I would have loved to have seen more of the primary bond girl. Only Casino Royale figured out how to feature a bond girl the way they did it with Eva Green. My primary criticism was that of the group setting up the house at Skyfall for the "uninvited guests" - seemed like a remake of the original Home Alone. That sequence pulled me out of the Bond universe for the first time in the film. I had fun with the movie - better than Quantum of Solace, not as good as Casino Royale (but that is a very high bar). Expand
  26. Nov 12, 2012
    This is not a James Bond movie. There is no intrigue or mystery whatsoever, very minimal globe trotting, no worthwhile woman character, flimsy plot, and really no James Bond - just a grumpy old dude. Halfway through the weakly conceived story the driving subject is largely abandoned to go all emotional with little to no effect. The villain sparks interest but is ultimately pedestrian as his scheme is underdeveloped and ridiculously minor. No, this is not "the best Bond ever," it's merely a failed attempt at using the modern "emotional superhero" template, which sometime works (See The Dark Knight) and sometimes fails miserably (See Superman Returns). Expand
  27. Nov 12, 2012
    The hype on this Bond is embarrassing. I'm all about a more serious Bond with Sam Mendes at the helm. What I wanted was a clever spy story. What we instead get is a rehashing of great moments from other movies.

As to not spoil, the list of stolen ideas from better movies include: LIVE AND LET DIE, BATMAN, THE UNTOUCHABLES, and the painfully obvious SILENCE OF THE LAMBS. Now I know
    why Sam Mendes has been unable to prosper without Bond. Apparently he's a hack.

As much as I like the actor who played the villain, he reminded me too closely in appearance and performance of Christopher Walken's disastrous A VIEW TO A KILL villain. Laughing and smirking in a little world the rest of us neither understand or give a crepe about. In this film I didn't care the villain, Bond, or the 'dramatic' event at movies end -- which wasn't set up by professional filmmakers but Comic book fanboys. And the oh so precious introduction of a Bond institution at movie's end was another 'precious' fanboy moment played terribly wrong.

Where the Bond girl? The same place this script was. Up someone's arrogant myopic behind.
  28. Nov 12, 2012
    After watching Skyfall, I couldn't really make up my mind... It was quite a good movie and I enjoyed R. Fiennes & J. Bardem's performances. But wasn't it a bit far fetched to show a Bond going downhill before all the other adventures are supposed to happen?? And honestly, the last stand in the parents' countryside house! That wasn't really something new, wasn't it? I feel that there's a real complacency from some directors regarding their scenario. PLEASE : don't make so many movies and WORK on them a bit longer! Nobody said that because it is an action movie you have to botch the story... Expand
  29. Nov 12, 2012
    There a lot of things I would like to say about the New James Bond Movie skyfall. This movie isn't the best movie of the year, but it is really impact with so much action, and so much thrill, which never seems to stop, right from the beginning to the very end of the movie. Daniel Craig adds so much life to the Bond Character. The movie is a little confusing from the very beginning, because the sniper bullet that struck James, never kills him it went right through him and he never took his life, very confusing, this movie is definitely a real thrill ride, and it is worth every penny I paid to watch it. If you want action and fun see Skyfall, and you will not definitely be disappointed, in my opinion. I love those Brits. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Dana Stevens
    Nov 9, 2012
    Skyfall leaves you wondering whether this incarnation of the character has anywhere left to go. It's the portrait of a spy at the end of his rope by an actor who seems close to his.
  2. Reviewed by: Rene Rodriguez
    Nov 9, 2012
    Mendes' approach to action is classical and elegant - no manic editing and blurry unintelligible images here - but what makes the movie truly special is the attention he gives his actors.
  3. Reviewed by: Mike Scott
    Nov 9, 2012
    The sky is far from falling on the Bond franchise. In fact, it is as good as it has ever been. What's more, Craig is reportedly on board for at least two more outings, so Q had better get to work on those bifocals because 007 is no where near ready for retirement.