7.6

1. Nov 19, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. After just returning from watching the new James Bond Film, Skyfall, there are a few words that I would use to describe this film- great but not amazing. Ashamedly I have only seen one film before hand of the 23 films- Casino Royale- but I would say that this film is the anti-climax to what was an exciting array of movies this year and in the 50 years Bond has been on screen. Initially I enjoyed the idea of the film, Bond gets shot, Bond comes back to fight a former agent but there are some plot holes throughout the movie that seem glossed over merely for continuity and some forgettable acting that spoils the movie slightly. There were publicised rumours that Pinewood Studios were cash-strapped and had to rely on heavy product placement to help pay for the movie, but you would never had known at times. This film is a visual delight! From the frantic chases through Turkish Bazaars (via CGI) to the neon lights of Shanghai and the mossy hills in the Highlands, this film really is eye candy. The plot revolves around the attempted recovery of stolen records, of which will endanger undercover NATO agents all over the world. James Bond is no longer the spy he used to be, espionage has aged his hair and his shooting isn't as good as it used to be (for some reason) but he will need all of his dull wit and courage to overcome what lies ahead in this movie. Daniel Craig and Dame Judy Dench both reprise their roles as James Bond and M respectively, with the welcomed inclusion of new characters such as Gareth Mallory (Ralph Fiennes) and the cyber terrorist Bond bad guy Raoul Silva (played by a bleached-blonde Javier Bardem). Albert Finney makes a late appearance at the end of the film as Bond's ex-groundkeeper and he almost steals the show with his welcomed humour. His role was rumoured to be originally offered to Sean Connery as the ultimate nod to Bond's 50th anniversary but he manages to justify why they casted him instead.... sort of. The inevitable Bond girls as a whole were mostly forgettable and I didn't really care for them if they were under threat or killed (Sevarine you know who you are). Sometimes the plot just baffled me, why the hell do you have the locations of hundreds of secret NATO agents being carried by an agent? Why can't you just store it in MI6? Are Bond Expand
  2. Dec 3, 2012
    don't know what movie those people claiming its the best bond yet where watching but it was not skyfall. well Skyfall does have its moments of that Bond felling it tends to go towards what you would expect a action pack CIA movie. rally uses any gadgets and his big one is a gun! really a gun that only shoots if Bond holds it. lame. overall Id give this movie a 6 out of 10. if it did notdon't know what movie those people claiming its the best bond yet where watching but it was not skyfall. well Skyfall does have its moments of that Bond felling it tends to go towards what you would expect a action pack CIA movie. rally uses any gadgets and his big one is a gun! really a gun that only shoots if Bond holds it. lame. overall Id give this movie a 6 out of 10. if it did not have the bond title in it and was ratting it as far as action movies go I would give it an 8. good thing though is I think its the best out of the Craig bonds. Expand
  3. Nov 19, 2012
    Hm, okay, there is something new in this Bond film, vut especially the ending sequence at "Skyfall" was unrealistic and much too similar to an average action movie. The villain seems unmotivated, certain actions are not comprehensible, and then M's dead at the end, which destroys James' invulnerable image ... absolutely a matter of taste!
  4. Nov 13, 2012
    Enjoyable but the rest of the film never quite keeps pace with the first 15-20 minutes. It just felt like it was lacking that brutality that Casino Royale had bags of and there were flashes where it seemed Daniel Craig had been taking "Cheese Lessons" from Pierce Brosnan. After leaving the cinema I was satisfied due to the fact that it got better towards the end but it was just too slowEnjoyable but the rest of the film never quite keeps pace with the first 15-20 minutes. It just felt like it was lacking that brutality that Casino Royale had bags of and there were flashes where it seemed Daniel Craig had been taking "Cheese Lessons" from Pierce Brosnan. After leaving the cinema I was satisfied due to the fact that it got better towards the end but it was just too slow for far too long during the middle. I still think Craig is the best Bond there's been and I'm looking forward to the next 2 films. Expand
  5. Nov 12, 2012
    The hype on this Bond is embarrassing. I'm all about a more serious Bond with Sam Mendes at the helm. What I wanted was a clever spy story. What we instead get is a rehashing of great moments from other movies.

As to not spoil, the list of stolen ideas from better movies include: LIVE AND LET DIE, BATMAN, THE UNTOUCHABLES, and the painfully obvious SILENCE OF THE LAMBS. Now I know why Sam Mendes has been unable to prosper without Bond. Apparently he's a hack.

As much as I like the actor who played the villain, he reminded me too closely in appearance and performance of Christopher Walken's disastrous A VIEW TO A KILL villain. Laughing and smirking in a little world the rest of us neither understand or give a crepe about. In this film I didn't care the villain, Bond, or the 'dramatic' event at movies end -- which wasn't set up by professional filmmakers but Comic book fanboys. And the oh so precious introduction of a Bond institution at movie's end was another 'precious' fanboy moment played terribly wrong.

Where the Bond girl? The same place this script was. Up someone's arrogant myopic behind.
  6. Nov 13, 2012
    A very good Bond by Mr Mendes but can we please have it more realistic in the next episode. The start of the film was great but then it seems to loose its way a bit. The ending at Skyfall. Does anyone believe the bad guys will simply approach as a group in day light! An real terrorist group would approach from several directions. The first Mr Bond would know would be when the seigeA very good Bond by Mr Mendes but can we please have it more realistic in the next episode. The start of the film was great but then it seems to loose its way a bit. The ending at Skyfall. Does anyone believe the bad guys will simply approach as a group in day light! An real terrorist group would approach from several directions. The first Mr Bond would know would be when the seige started. Next, the falling in to the cold lake at night seriously please.... Great film don't get me wrong but aim it an adults - we are not all stupid. Expand
  7. Nov 13, 2012
    Good movie, just not a good Bond movie. The main protagonist (Bond) and antagonist (Silva/Bardem) are underwhelming. I want Bond to be a hero, not a drunken bum (who can oddly survive a crazy high fall into a creek) and I want Bond villain to aspire to more than just silly revenge. It is however very well shot. This falls short of Bourne for me.
  8. Nov 13, 2012
    Its a 7/10 for me, for the budget they had i was expecting more. Fantastic opening, wonderful song but Daniel Craig lacks the Bond feel at times. Yes he is tough but he doesn't carry himself at time like Connery did. That said it was well directed.
  9. Nov 14, 2012
    Much better than previous Bonds which were becoming outdated and dull. This is a fairly clever film. The stunts are well put together, the only down side is its a bit slow in places.
  10. Nov 14, 2012
    James Bond is back. Again. And to be quite frank I'm over it. 23 movies and we still see Bond doing his archetype Bond things. Oh look he ordered a martini. Hey look he's driving an Aston Martin. Is that a Walther PPK? He gambles. He wins. He gets a typical Bond girl. Car chases, Foot chases. I mean for me it's all just been done before. It was really cool to see Bond reinvented in CasinoJames Bond is back. Again. And to be quite frank I'm over it. 23 movies and we still see Bond doing his archetype Bond things. Oh look he ordered a martini. Hey look he's driving an Aston Martin. Is that a Walther PPK? He gambles. He wins. He gets a typical Bond girl. Car chases, Foot chases. I mean for me it's all just been done before. It was really cool to see Bond reinvented in Casino Royal, but does every movie have to be the same formula? The only thing that set this one apart was the baddy. Javier Bardem practically single handedly saves this film from going into the annals of Bond failures such as Tomorrow Never Dies. Is it worth the watch? Yeah sure. Watch it for the action. But for old school Bond fans, I think I like my movies with a bit more Connery swagger. This one was shaken. Not stirred. Expand
  11. Nov 14, 2012
    I wouldnt say it was the best Bond movie, however it is worth watching. I do hate when the audience is taken advantage of. Let me explain.. opening sequence is seriously flawed, and full of holes (including Bond!) However they writer/directer really made the ending quite obvious, and somewhat predictable. There are many positives however, Javier Bardem was quite good, and very unlikeableI wouldnt say it was the best Bond movie, however it is worth watching. I do hate when the audience is taken advantage of. Let me explain.. opening sequence is seriously flawed, and full of holes (including Bond!) However they writer/directer really made the ending quite obvious, and somewhat predictable. There are many positives however, Javier Bardem was quite good, and very unlikeable (clearly as most villains should be) I was let down however by the pace of the film. Quite long, and at times quiet and boring. Dame Denche is great as usual. Some complain about the re-introduction of the traditional bond elements.. as this was clearly and anniversary film, I think its quite appropriate... however, lets hope that's where it stops. Decent movie all around, but just not great. Expand
  12. Nov 23, 2012
    Bond has been hit by a fallen meteor. Disappointing for a Bond film- strained and very unrealistic plot with another crazed unbelievable villain, But good on-location photography.
  13. Nov 24, 2012
    I really didn't enjoy Skyfall. Some elements were good, but I felt it was too bland. Basically Bourne but with a bit more class. Why must they cut out the cool gadgets / glamour? What drew me to Bond in the first place was the escapism and fantasy elements. This is too real world, too much like a stock standard action film.
  14. Nov 25, 2012
    James Bond films are iconic not just for adventure also for the beautiful bevy of Bond girls that act as sirens to our beloved 007. Skyfall has taken the newest profession of its featured Bond girl in this film to an all time low. The beautiful heroin is actually a victim of human bondage. This practice is repugnant enough, but to show case this exploitation of women as sexy; isJames Bond films are iconic not just for adventure also for the beautiful bevy of Bond girls that act as sirens to our beloved 007. Skyfall has taken the newest profession of its featured Bond girl in this film to an all time low. The beautiful heroin is actually a victim of human bondage. This practice is repugnant enough, but to show case this exploitation of women as sexy; is blatantly disrespectful to all women, especially to those who suffer under these very real and very deplorable living conditions.
    The audience quickly discovers that this damsel in distress; is actually and quite literally the branded property, of the antagonist in Skyfall. The heroic Bond promises the very terrified woman that he will avenge her captors and in the following scene successfully dukes it out with several of the antagonist henchman. In the next scene 007 slips comfortably into the shower with the woman in bondage and proceeds to sleep with her. No woman alive can resist the charming allure of James Bond! This theme has been resonated in every Bond film since it
  15. Aug 17, 2013
    This was a good movie! I`t was interesting the whole way through. I do agree with people who complain about the lack of gadgets, but it was still a good movie.
  16. Nov 25, 2012
    I saw Skyfall this afternoon. I'm giving it a "thumbs up" - but I am not nearly as enthused as a lot of other people.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed this film and think it is a decent 007 movie, but honestly, I don't think it stands out from the pack. I had high hopes because I've read a few spoiler-free reviews, and it was getting a lot of praise. "The best Bond movie in years", "The

"The best Bond movie in years", "The best 007 flick since Goldfinger", "Maybe the best Bond ever", etc.

I dunno. The first half of the movie was pretty good, though I can't say it was anything above the average. The movie concludes with the obligatory "fortress shoot-out", and although there was a bit of a twist here, it was again good but not special.

Both Daniel Craig and Judy Dench were actually quite good, and breathed some real life into their characters. I think the thing that really let me down was the villainous character played by Javier Bardem. I just don't think the character's motivation for his actions was all that great; he seemed to go to a freaking enormous amount of convoluted effort to try to accomplish what seemed like a very straight-forward and simplistic goal.

Meh. I liked it but I didn't love it. I give it a 7 out of 10. I honestly think Casino Royale was a better Bond movie.
  17. Nov 26, 2012
    The movie was enjoyable. The music was good and suited the scenes. Action was smooth and didn't hog too much screen time. Visually the locations in the movie were interesting, variying and beatiful. Craig continues to perform well and fits the character perfectly. Same goes for the other characters. The villain stayed within logic and wasn't evil just for the sake of being evil. The plotThe movie was enjoyable. The music was good and suited the scenes. Action was smooth and didn't hog too much screen time. Visually the locations in the movie were interesting, variying and beatiful. Craig continues to perform well and fits the character perfectly. Same goes for the other characters. The villain stayed within logic and wasn't evil just for the sake of being evil. The plot is ok even though you can pretty much guess how it'll play out right from the start. The makers of this movie knew what the audience expects from a Bond movie and delibirately made jokes of those things, which for me was very refreshing. As with movies involving high-tech in the plot, there was hacking and such computer stuff in it which was a "bit" overplayed and animated compared to how it is in real life, but I accept this for the sake of making it visual for the movie viewer. Expand
  18. Nov 27, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Anyone who believes this is a good Bond Movie is an Odd Job. And probably likes the musical 'We will Rock You'. Average action to open, silly effete bad guy (let's make him camp!) with lack of ambition and overbite, (didn't they used to want to take over the world?) washed down with a terrible clunky script. Why? - because it borrows so heavily from other films: Hannibal Lecter cage from Silence of the Lambs; shotguns and courduroy jackets and country from Bourne; dead parents from Harry Potter. Ridiculous dialogue: Albert Finney: "I was born ready!" - really! Silly denouement: Bardem arrives with heavies majically out of thin air and M has no security save for Bond who kills a helicopter with a calor gas cannister. No glamour, no charachter arc for sexy women - only M who completely forgets all her training and waves a bad guy in with a white hankie. No bad guy characters introduced around main Bardem charachter (no Odd Job) 'Ext. Skyfall - Night: Lots of bad guys wander down sepia tinted countryside looking for a tosser and his mum and a poacher so they can kill him. They all die in BBQ accident.'

Stupid and unsophisticated with schlocky ending that betrays Bond cool. His parents grave - and mum named Delacroix - and what -what- what! Stupid moments: Bond chasing Bardem in Z Cars outfit and crashing train pointlessly into underground. This is not a Bond Movie. It's a Blonde movie made by people with a schedule. Skyfall House - that really made me laugh... as if.
  19. Dec 10, 2012
    Skyfall is just another reason why Daniel Craig's Bond stands apart; the level of character he exudes due to the more dynamic role he plays is amazing. No other Bond do you see at the lows and highs of his life, as well as his abilities. It's quite the stark contrast to less interesting Bonds like Brosnan, who was more memorable for the gadgets he used than his character.

9/10 for

9/10 for exceeding expectations of character, and throwing a good movie in as well.
  20. Nov 27, 2012
    james bond is back with a bang. Right from the start to the end skyfall gives you that old james bond feeling that quantum of solace could not delver. In fact this Bond entry is a candidate for best bond ever. The only negative that pops into my mind is that even though this is a brilliant movie it lacked something new
  21. Nov 28, 2012
    Sam Mendes is most renowned for his outstanding work in romantic, dramatic films though in the Christopher Nolan inspired new James Bond sensation
  22. Nov 29, 2012
    I really enjoyed this film, the first action sequence and the introductory montage is the best I've seen so far. However overall I didn't think that Skyfall stays in line with the typical bond film. It's more of a look at what fighting crime means in the modern era and the contrasts between the old and new ways. But being a big fan of the old movies, I also thought it was a nice revisit ofI really enjoyed this film, the first action sequence and the introductory montage is the best I've seen so far. However overall I didn't think that Skyfall stays in line with the typical bond film. It's more of a look at what fighting crime means in the modern era and the contrasts between the old and new ways. But being a big fan of the old movies, I also thought it was a nice revisit of the last 50 years of bond. Javier Bardem is hands down the best Bond villain ever! I loved the way the story developed but the end just took it over the top for me. The final action sequence feels more like a 'Home Alone' movie than a bond film and it just gets a bit too ridiculous for my taste... In my opinion, it's much much better film than quantum of solace but doesn't quite get up to the standard of Casino Royale. Expand
  23. Nov 30, 2012
    Disappointing. Loved Casino Royale 's realism, but this was like watching a Batman movie with an arch villain and bumbling Secret Service except for Bond.
  24. Nov 30, 2012
    "Skyfall" is easily the best and most solidly entertaining Bond film to date, raising the bar for the iconic series and bringing Craig's tougher, rougher 007 to its most polished form yet. The choice of Sam Mendes could not have been more spot-on - the movie is beautiful to look at from start to finish. The setpieces and locations are stunning and totally engaging, particularly the"Skyfall" is easily the best and most solidly entertaining Bond film to date, raising the bar for the iconic series and bringing Craig's tougher, rougher 007 to its most polished form yet. The choice of Sam Mendes could not have been more spot-on - the movie is beautiful to look at from start to finish. The setpieces and locations are stunning and totally engaging, particularly the skyscraper scene in Shanghai, and everything feels like the classic, traditional Bond while maintaining a marvelous, modern look and style. The plot is very fresh and entertaining, and where the previous two Craig films were somewhat lacking in their villains and finales, this one more than compensates with a much truer and more traditional-feeling villian, played to great effect by Javier Bardem, and a flat-out fantastic climax. Add it all together, and the 50th anniversary Bond marks a genuine step up in quality and entertainment. Absolutely awesome. Expand
  25. Mar 8, 2013
    To me, it didn't feel like a Bond movie. Casino Royale introduced us to a different version of Bond that I loved to bits, but the opportunity to add something consequential to the character was squandered this time around. The action sequences were riveting and well executed, and the dialogue was engaging, but the plot was plain stupid. The showdown in the final sequence at Skyfall wasTo me, it didn't feel like a Bond movie. Casino Royale introduced us to a different version of Bond that I loved to bits, but the opportunity to add something consequential to the character was squandered this time around. The action sequences were riveting and well executed, and the dialogue was engaging, but the plot was plain stupid. The showdown in the final sequence at Skyfall was downright cheesy. One would think secret agents would plan things a bit rather than going for an unoriginal last stand. What did Bond have in mind? If he wanted the villain to come to Skyfall, and knew for a certainty that he was coming, he could have planned an ambush. Hell, I could have planned a better counter attack. Some policemen could have been hid in the surroundings if all the agents were incapacitated. Help from government could have been asked given that M was attacked in the presence of a minister. Why would a super trained spy corner himself in an old house just so he could display his killer skills, which he could have demonstrated anywhere to begin with. The plot was childishly simplistic and unimaginative. Lack of creativity and imagination seeps through every other scene. And why would a super agent retain his birth name? Also, I find it implausible that secret super spies would feel urges to eliminate their enemies in an attention seeking manner even if they could dispatch them discreetly. If you're willing to forget that this is a Bond movie, it would make for a very good thriller espionage movie with an over the top plot. There's nothing special about this one, and it is certainly overrated. Die Hard 4.0 would have made a better Bond movie. It cannot compete against any from the Bourne trilogy, everyone of which is a good example of how a spy thriller should be made. Expand
  26. Dec 4, 2012
    OK, he's shot in the chest, he falls a distance that is deadly, he goes over what could be Niagara Falls, and then 20 minutes later he's lying next to a woman in bed. No explanation given; some guys just don't die. I understand that with James Bond films belief must be suspended and situations are presented that don't make sense in the real world (like our defenseless hero is surrounded byOK, he's shot in the chest, he falls a distance that is deadly, he goes over what could be Niagara Falls, and then 20 minutes later he's lying next to a woman in bed. No explanation given; some guys just don't die. I understand that with James Bond films belief must be suspended and situations are presented that don't make sense in the real world (like our defenseless hero is surrounded by armed opponents who follow the golden rule that they cannoct respond towards our hero until it is "their turn"), so I am somewhat predisposed not to like this type of film. But what is really wrong with this film is that the script is dumbed down to a fifth grade level and I may be too kind in this assessment. Really? People at this level of achievement talk with such a low grade -intelligence quotient? Expand
  27. Dec 5, 2012
    nitpick of 4th December forgot to give a score. I reckon 2 will have to do..
    Too violent, too loud and too frazzled what with psychobabble being used to 'stiffen' the utter brutality of the anti-hero..
    PS. The 'hero', Craig, was totally devoid of charm and what elegance he possessed was superfluous.
    Broccoli team should retire in toto!!
  28. Dec 4, 2012
    Gives background into Bond's past like no other Bond has done before. While I would have liked to have seen 1 or 2 more good action scenes, the strong plot makes up for this. Great film!
  29. Dec 5, 2012
    I enjoyed the experience but cannot help but feel that it was over-hyped. I expected something at least on level with Casino Royale, if not better from the way the critics were gushing over this thing. I will say that I enjoyed it more so than Quantum but it just did not pull me in like I thought it would. The scenes were fun in a lot of ways, but they felt disconnected, or quicklyI enjoyed the experience but cannot help but feel that it was over-hyped. I expected something at least on level with Casino Royale, if not better from the way the critics were gushing over this thing. I will say that I enjoyed it more so than Quantum but it just did not pull me in like I thought it would. The scenes were fun in a lot of ways, but they felt disconnected, or quickly stitched together to form a plot. I enjoy Craig as Bond, and the addition of Q was good but could have been better. Javier Bardem was a great Bond villain that had potential to be excellent if not for the predictable ending. Expand
  30. Dec 13, 2012
    Labelling Skyfall as one of the great Bond films is a bit far fetched. Nevertheless, Skyfall produced what is needed in a modern contemporary 007. Daniel Craig's superfluous acting made it all possible.

1. Reviewed by: Dana Stevens
    Nov 9, 2012
    Skyfall leaves you wondering whether this incarnation of the character has anywhere left to go. It's the portrait of a spy at the end of his rope by an actor who seems close to his.
  2. Reviewed by: Rene Rodriguez
    Nov 9, 2012
    Mendes' approach to action is classical and elegant - no manic editing and blurry unintelligible images here - but what makes the movie truly special is the attention he gives his actors.
  3. Reviewed by: Mike Scott
    Nov 9, 2012
    The sky is far from falling on the Bond franchise. In fact, it is as good as it has ever been. What's more, Craig is reportedly on board for at least two more outings, so Q had better get to work on those bifocals because 007 is no where near ready for retirement.