Skyfall

7.6

1. Feb 19, 2013
    After 50 years, and 50 plus mistakes in Quantum of Solace, director Sam Mendes has delivered the home front of Bond movies, its big, bold, smart, and simply feels like classic Bond, while maintaining its more gritty and realistic approach to the genre.
    It's got all the ingredients of the Bonds of yesteryear with a few spices added in, take out the disastrous films before we had the reboot, and they all cumulate in this,and what a thrill to behold.
    An opening scene involving a thrilling chase through Istanbul already feels better than the opening of Quantum, its cleaner, crisper, and is relevant to the story which follows.
    An attack on MI6 sets up a story that is perhaps one of the best Bond plots to grace the big screen, Judi Dench finds her true calling in this film, having a much more pivotal role as M, who is the target of estranged agent Silva, played creepily by Javier Bardem, perhaps not as menacing as his turn in No Country For Old Men, but certainly a nod to classic Bond villains, and the nods don't stop there. Q makes his return to the Bond universe, but in a very different, and in the younger form of Ben Wishaw, its Bond, but with its own modern spin ('What did you expect? An exploding pen?")
    The set pieces are explosive and epic, a subway train tumbling through the roof was a particular highlight, but the climax in the old orphanage was superb, Sam Mendes pulled no punches in delivering an exhilarating finale, even with the inclusion of Albert Finney (The Bourne franchise)
    There where complaints regarding the lack of chemistry between Craig and Naomie Harris, who played Eve in the film, but i personally seen this as deliberate to mask the eventual history behind Eve's character.
    The friendly exchanges between Bond and Q are the real comedic points of the film, with Bond viewing Q basically as a mere schoolboy, Q soon proves his worth as the film progresses with the ongoing mission to identify Silva.
    But it is really the relationship between Bond and M that solidifies her role as a central character within the bond universe, Craig and Dench do a brilliant job in playing the mother and son role which is rare to see for such a weathered franchise, and their friendship, albeit strained, his truly put to the test in Skyfall as M's past makes an unwelcome return. Was it better than Casino Royale, they are quite on par in my opinion, Casino Royale changed the rules completely but Skyfall did a wonderful job of enforcing them, while not trying to stray too far of the British spy's rich history.
    Skyfall rips apart the armour of the previous films and creates a vulnerable and emotional film that doesn't hold back in piercing the chest with a mass of bullets, its true core lies within the history and relationship of the characters, and this film wipes the slate clean to make a point of saying that Bond is here to stay.
  2. Nov 24, 2012
    Slow at times. Thought Javier Bardem was a great villain. Otherwise, the movie had some suspenseful scenes that kept me entertained. Not a bad movie to see at the theaters.
  3. Nov 29, 2012
    This movie was absolutely fantastic. Daniel Craig once again shows why he's the best James Bond ever. He's has all of the charisma of any of the past Bonds but has a grit to him that allows the movies to be a bit darker and more realistic. While I didn't enjoy Skyfall quite as much as Casino Royale, it was still much better than Quantum of Solace and is probably my second favorite BondThis movie was absolutely fantastic. Daniel Craig once again shows why he's the best James Bond ever. He's has all of the charisma of any of the past Bonds but has a grit to him that allows the movies to be a bit darker and more realistic. While I didn't enjoy Skyfall quite as much as Casino Royale, it was still much better than Quantum of Solace and is probably my second favorite Bond movie ever. I liked that they added depth to M and touched on some of the political element to MI6. I was a bit disappointed that Berenice Marlohe wasn't featured more. I've been hearing for the past month what a beautiful and fantastic Bond-girl she is and, while she is stunning, she was barely in the film at all. Overall, it's a great movie and more than just Bond fans will enjoy it. On a side note, since everyone seems to be mentioning Adele, I will also... she's awesome and her opening song to the movie is the perfect Bond track, lol. Expand
  4. Dec 6, 2012
    Meh, Casino Royal is better. I like bond movies and I like this one. But this whole Jason Bourne is Bond deal is kinda a downer. Every movie the treatment becomes more Dragon Tattoo than Goldfinger. But I guess that's what people want. It's not awful.
  5. Aug 24, 2014
    Another Bond film with Daniel Craig, following in the footsteps of the previous two in some sense.

There's thrilling action and stunts (which sometimes feel a bit drawn-out and attempts to seek a new high that hasn't been done yet). Bond gets shot, beaten up, all that same old jazz. I liked the new Q - he gave the story a nice additional character you looked forward to seeing again,

I liked the new Q - he gave the story a nice additional character you looked forward to seeing again, especially when he became more invested in the story.

Also, I liked the villain, Silva, although I'm not sure I completely understood his motivations and inner struggles even after the movie. (However, we can thank him for one of the best gay moments on film for a long time, so yay o/ for that!)

All in all this doesn't differ from the other Bond films in plot, style or pace. You've seen the others, you've seen this, but they always have some new tricks up their sleeve and I felt pretty good after seeing this film so it delivered all the necessary ingredients.

One thing, though: they should get rid of the unnecessary Bond girls. Just saying. No important story elements there (even if Naomie Harris' role was well integrated, for once).
  6. Feb 17, 2013
    Honestly, It's a rather overrated movie imo. The plot was incredibly generic. The action was no where near as good as it was in previous Bond films (Casion Royale for example). Silva was an enjoyable villain and he captured the screen whenever he was on. That being said, He didn't have much in terms of dialogue outside of 3 scenes. The casting though is spot on Javier Bardem is great asHonestly, It's a rather overrated movie imo. The plot was incredibly generic. The action was no where near as good as it was in previous Bond films (Casion Royale for example). Silva was an enjoyable villain and he captured the screen whenever he was on. That being said, He didn't have much in terms of dialogue outside of 3 scenes. The casting though is spot on Javier Bardem is great as Silva. Naomie Harris, Ralph Fiennes, and Ben Whishaw are great additions to the cast as well and I can't wait to see them in future Bond films. Skyfall is an enjoyable movie but not as good as people made it out to be. Expand
  7. Nov 26, 2012
    Javier Bardem is a scene stealing genius in this film. A classic egomaniacle Bond villain who is not to be underestimated. He elevates the movie to the next level. Bond and M continue their odd relationship. Is it simply boss and employee? Is it mother and son? Master and protege? Anyway, their interaction is always great and we also see a darker side to M. How far is she willing to go andJavier Bardem is a scene stealing genius in this film. A classic egomaniacle Bond villain who is not to be underestimated. He elevates the movie to the next level. Bond and M continue their odd relationship. Is it simply boss and employee? Is it mother and son? Master and protege? Anyway, their interaction is always great and we also see a darker side to M. How far is she willing to go and how many lives really are expendable for her cause?

I also like the new Q. A big ego in a small body, which can only come from incredible intelligence and success at such an early age. Played very well by Ben Whishaw. I was glad that they didn't fall into the old campy schtick of too many implausible Bond gadgets.
  8. Jan 8, 2013
    Considering all the hype surrounding this film, I was a bit disappointed. I was expecting a bond movie to rival the greats from the 70's and 80's, but in truth this film doesn't live up to that legacy. That being said, it is an entertaining action thriller which will keep you entertained and on your toes.
  9. Sep 2, 2014
    James Bond is back and better than ever. Skyfall is quite possibly one of the finest Bond flicks to date. It combines deep emotion with action sequences far superior to any other spy-thrillers out there. Leave it to Sam Mendes!
  10. Nov 24, 2012
    Not much of a bond fan, and while I'm still not sure I am, this movie was decent. There is nothing to really complain about. I thought it was directed and edited smartly, and the script was well written.
  11. Dec 16, 2012
    Javier Bardem is my favorite Bond villain, what can I say? I think he kills it, he nailed the role so well. And the intro, the song. My favorite part of the movie is the fact that it's not like the other movies, yes, Bond isn't the ultimate man who gets laid every 20 minutes, he is rusty and must get back. I love the fact that he has to rise back, and I think people who dislike it isJavier Bardem is my favorite Bond villain, what can I say? I think he kills it, he nailed the role so well. And the intro, the song. My favorite part of the movie is the fact that it's not like the other movies, yes, Bond isn't the ultimate man who gets laid every 20 minutes, he is rusty and must get back. I love the fact that he has to rise back, and I think people who dislike it is because they dislike changes, I think this is the best Bond movie I've seen.
    The others are cool but monotone and overall, they all end up being the same, I liked this one because of the different direction it took
  12. Nov 14, 2012
    I have not seen a bond film in a long time. Skyfall was a great movie overall and even better then The Darknight Rises and the theme song for Syfall is now stuck in my head. Skyfall 8.5/10
  13. Nov 19, 2012
    A solid 007 movie. QOS was awful, and this was a good followup for Daniel Craig. it has little action scenes, but they are well performed, and it has a great story. See it.
  14. Mar 8, 2014
    It's exciting, gripping, and thrilling. The acting was great, the script was well-written, it was thoughtful, and it's just really fun. One thing still troubles me though: How the hell did Bond survive that fall though? I gotta call BS on that.
  15. Dec 30, 2012
    Bond returns in Skyfall, and this picture excels as one of the more memorable entries in the lot. With Daniel Craig making his third outing as 007 and Judi Dench effectively returning as his matriarchal boss; Bond and M
  16. Nov 26, 2012
    A very good bond movie. Got all the cliches we expect to find in a bond movie. Though it has kind of a sad ending compared to other bond movies when Bond drifts of into the distance witha lady in his arms. Still I think its a great movie. Well worth a viewing!
  17. Nov 27, 2012
    Another mixed bag Bond film. Plenty of the typical action and tropes throughout, including of course the Bond girls. I love the stripped down version we have of Bond now, and there are a couple of humorous moments to highlight these changes. I enjoyed Bardem's villain for the most part although I do feel like the praise is a little overstated, there were times when he didn't have a lotAnother mixed bag Bond film. Plenty of the typical action and tropes throughout, including of course the Bond girls. I love the stripped down version we have of Bond now, and there are a couple of humorous moments to highlight these changes. I enjoyed Bardem's villain for the most part although I do feel like the praise is a little overstated, there were times when he didn't have a lot going on and others when what he was doing was more than a little confusing. One of the most disappointing things about this movie was Bond's back story, or lack there of. I love a film with a good, dark back story and while I appreciate the effort here in that regard it falls well short of the mark giving us very little actual story in that regard. Overall this Bond falls short of the other Craig films for me, but ranks better than the last few Brosnan films. Expand
  18. Nov 8, 2014
    Really the main emotion after seeing this film is relief, it is miles better than quantum of solace. Everything wrong with Quantum is remedied here, the villain is a good one, the storyline is followable and believable, and it flows very well, making it a seriously enjoyable film to watch. There are minor flaws, as always the product placement is a little in your face, and at times theirReally the main emotion after seeing this film is relief, it is miles better than quantum of solace. Everything wrong with Quantum is remedied here, the villain is a good one, the storyline is followable and believable, and it flows very well, making it a seriously enjoyable film to watch. There are minor flaws, as always the product placement is a little in your face, and at times their attempt to bring back classic bond features like the one liners jars with the new Bourne-esque darkness, but overall this is a fantastic edition to the Craig bond series. Expand
  19. Dec 5, 2012
    LET THE SKY FALL. WE WILL STAND TALL, AT SKYFALL.
    LET THE SKY FALL. WE WILL STAND TALL, AT SKYFALL.
    Skyfall is a mere proof that a good spy film doesn't need nonsense action-sequences or incorporation of unrealistic gadgets, it just needs a great screenplay, astounding performances and outstanding direction. I see a lot of people complaining that a James Bond movie without action sequences and gadgets and devices is worthless. What they don't understand is that everything needs to evolve and get out of its own self-made shell, because, sooner or later, people start demanding for something else, something they never would have expected, something that makes them change their mind about a certain subject.
    Same is the case here. Sam Mendes has proved himself to be an outstanding director once again (he directed American Beauty for which he won an Academy Award in 2000). His sense of imagination is so brilliant that it totally works for the film. Cinematography is done by Roger Deakins, having received nine nominations for an Academy Award for Best Cinematography, he is one of the great cinematographers of the film industry and he continues to prove it in Skyfall with his brilliant camera work.
    The important thing about this film is the screenplay, which is, no doubt, different from all the Bond movies made before Skyfall and that's what makes it so better. Written by Neal Purvis, John Logan and Robert Wade, the screenplay works like a charm because you get to know Bond and above all, the other major character of the movie, M (played by Judi Dench). Daniel Craig continues to shine in his role even more, it seems like he had been practising to improve himself and it becomes really clear when you compare his performance to the previous installment 'Quantum of Solace'. In Skyfall, it feels like Craig has found his lost indenity and he is never going to let go of it. The other key character of the movie is Raoul Silva (played by Javier Bardem who is perhaps the most famous Spanish actor, having previously won an Academy Award for Best Supporting Actor for his role in 'No Country for Old Men'), is the film's main antagonist and he is more than a villain. Bardem's performance and his character reminds me of the Joker (The Dark Knight) at cerain points, he has done it so wonderfully and only he could make it happen. Other cast members include Ralph Fiennes, Naomie Harris, Bérénice Lim Marlohe, Albert Finney and Ben Whinshaw who support the film's plot and storyline properly.
    What I love about this film is that it doesn't feel like I am watching a Bond movie and that's exactly what I love. It has a different soul, a darker one, the character-driven plot has been handled in an amazing way. I don't mind if a spy film doesn't have more action-sequences because to me, the plot and main theme of the film is more important. People may also say that the plot of the movie is so typical and predictable and it gets boring but if we look closer, we see a rebirth of the entire Bond franchise, just like Christopher Nolan did with the Batman franchise.
    ...And who could forget Adele's wonderful voice in a melodious soundtrack to the movie, written by both Adele and Paul Epworth and the way it has been incorporated in the opening sequence is just freaking brilliant. I wouldn't be surprised if it wins the Academy Award for Original Song.
    Am I liking it too much? Am I impressed with this movie too much? Am I being biased? MAYBE. Because SKYFALL is just the right amount of Bond I wanted to see in the 23rd film.
  20. Jun 30, 2013
    This film had the least amount of action of the Bond films I have seen recently. Alot of dialog and plot, which would be good if this wasn't supposed to be a BOND FILM!!!! Almost complete absence of a steamy femme. Best part of this is what happens to M. Never was a fan of hers either.
  21. Nov 5, 2015
    Casino Royale is my favorite James Bond film. I place From Russia With Love in second place. Just so you know where I'm coming from.

Skyfall disappointed me. The biggest reason for this is that the bad guy's motivation just didn't make much sense at all. It was the opposite of the motivation in the precise and focused plot of Casino Royale. Then there were the little moments that soured me on it. Here's a few, without giving spoilers of any significance. Bond is after a bad guy. Just before he attacks the bad guy, the bad guy shoots someone. Bond could have stopped him, but didn't. Bond stands by without a care in the world as the man commits murder. And the moment after that, Bond goes after the guy. It makes no sense. He would have attacked just before. He may not be a saint but Bond as Craig has defined him (until that moment) wouldn't let an innocent person be killed that way. Next thing. Bond tells a woman he's going to rescue her from being a sex slave (forced prostitute) if she helps him with his mission. When he shows up at her place, she's in the shower. She doesn't see him. He gets naked and surprises her in the shower - they presumably have sex. This is a woman he's had exactly one conversation with in a public place. So let's recap that logic. He's going to rescue her from sexual slavery but first he pops in naked for a quickie. Anyone other than me disturbed by that? It's freaking creepy as he!!. This isn't some Bond girl he's flirted with. This is a chronic victim of rape. OK. Next thing. In one scenes he's capture but he brings in the cavalry by virtue of a hidden radio transponder in his jacket transmitting his location. Really? Couldn't he have done this with an iPhone? The radio transponder is one of Q's special gadgets, as if we live in the year 1962. It's ridiculous. And why wasn't he searched when he was captured? It would have been found. So disappointing.
  22. Nov 13, 2012
    I wouldn't ever claim to much of a James Bond fan but I did enjoy Skyfall. Its a zippy enough spy-thriller with some good set pieces. The opening chase is a good indication of what kind of film Skyfall - senseless but brilliantly done stunts as Bond destroys much traffic trying to catch a spy. Its silly, but still good fun. I felt after this that the film sagged quite a bit but once JavierI wouldn't ever claim to much of a James Bond fan but I did enjoy Skyfall. Its a zippy enough spy-thriller with some good set pieces. The opening chase is a good indication of what kind of film Skyfall - senseless but brilliantly done stunts as Bond destroys much traffic trying to catch a spy. Its silly, but still good fun. I felt after this that the film sagged quite a bit but once Javier Bardem appears things pick up nicely. Bardem is wonderfully over the top and is a great choice for a villain. After he arrives, the film rocketed along and as long as you dont think too hard about some of the plot points, its an entertaining thrill ride. I didnt rate Quantum of Solace too highly but Casino Royale and now Skyfall establish Daniel Craigs run as one of the better Bonds. Expand
  23. Jan 23, 2013
    People are giving "Skyfall" a little too much credit. Yes, I thought it was good and it definitely brushed off the cobwebs from "Quantum of Solace", but I don't think that it deserves to be placed among the best Bond movies. The action and villain were great, but the story dragged in some places.
  24. Sep 1, 2013
    Its a great film better then the bull last James bond movie, I enjoyed Skyfall yet didn't really like the villain because i really couldn't understand his motives or really understand why he wanted to kill everybody, pretty sure the movie tells us why, but it felt rather dull the story.
  25. Nov 27, 2012
    I think a 7 is a fair score for this Bond film. The best part was the intro, it was action packed, fast paced, and had very memorable moments. From there things started slowing down and never really picked back up. The acting was good but the writing wasnt exceptional. I think the new Bond girl is very attractive and she played the role well but I would have liked the writing centeredI think a 7 is a fair score for this Bond film. The best part was the intro, it was action packed, fast paced, and had very memorable moments. From there things started slowing down and never really picked back up. The acting was good but the writing wasnt exceptional. I think the new Bond girl is very attractive and she played the role well but I would have liked the writing centered around her to have been done differently, maybe include her more than they did. Bonds sidekick from the first half is very likeable and was one of my favorite characters next to Bond himself and Bonds sidekick from the latter half. What bothered me the most was that the entire premise for the antagonists descent from sanity seemed ill thought. Without spoiling anything, he seemed semi justified for why he was doing what he was doing but maybe that was designed to make the audience have some compassion towards him? Either way the actor portraying him did a terrific job as well. perhaps even the best job. Overall despite some high points, I wouldnt watch this movie again and was honestly waiting for it to hurry along in the middle of it. Not enough action or maybe just bad pacing. Expand
  26. Nov 18, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Quizá la más interesantes de las 3 de Daniel Craig. Porqué cierra la trilogía, por el final de M, por enseñar que el propio sistema a menudo crea a los peores villanos, y sobretodo por la magistral interpretación de Javier Bardem.
    Lo mejor de la película, cuando Bardem sobetea a Craig, y éste sabe aguantar el tipo. Magníficos los dos.
  27. Dec 4, 2012
    I absolutely loved skyfall. I was so excited to see the new James Bond, after an upbringing being mainly about action films and being indoctrinated by 007, I arrived at the cinema with my friends. It was the second week of it being showcased at the cinema, and it was packed full! This is a good sign, I thought. I thoroughly enjoyed the pace of the movie, however, the story line sometimesI absolutely loved skyfall. I was so excited to see the new James Bond, after an upbringing being mainly about action films and being indoctrinated by 007, I arrived at the cinema with my friends. It was the second week of it being showcased at the cinema, and it was packed full! This is a good sign, I thought. I thoroughly enjoyed the pace of the movie, however, the story line sometimes had its downfalls. Also, the song. I really do not think that this dreary Adele song should have been chosen to be the main song for James Bond!! It's never going to be as awesome as the James Bond classics such as Goldfinger. On the contrary, I absolutely loved the tragic ending! I would thoroughly recommend going to see this James Bond movie, at least it's better than Quantum Of Solace (or do we not count that one as a James Bond movie anymore?) Expand
  28. Nov 7, 2015
    Even though it has several notorious flaws in the script, Skyfall is still a fairly entertaining entry in the Bond canon. It attempts to explore Bond's psyche, but does it in a rather shallow manner that leads nowhere. The action scenes are a bit rough around the edges, but that is compensated by the beautiful cinematography by Roger Deakins and an innovative soundtrack by Thomas Newman.Even though it has several notorious flaws in the script, Skyfall is still a fairly entertaining entry in the Bond canon. It attempts to explore Bond's psyche, but does it in a rather shallow manner that leads nowhere. The action scenes are a bit rough around the edges, but that is compensated by the beautiful cinematography by Roger Deakins and an innovative soundtrack by Thomas Newman. The actors give strong performances, even though Javier Bardem seems to be in a different film altogether.
    Overall, a good movie, just not the flawless masterpiece critics make out to be.
  29. Dec 11, 2012
    Skyfall is possibly better than Casino Royale and much better than Quantum of Solace. The story follows on current events and takes you back through James Bond's past. This is the most emotional of the trilogy which makes you feel the movie as real as it can be. The story is great and is complimented with the visual effects and the action... along with those small details. This proves toSkyfall is possibly better than Casino Royale and much better than Quantum of Solace. The story follows on current events and takes you back through James Bond's past. This is the most emotional of the trilogy which makes you feel the movie as real as it can be. The story is great and is complimented with the visual effects and the action... along with those small details. This proves to show that Bond can still kick ass without needing all those gadgets. Daniel Craig, along with the rest of the cast make this movie a real triumph! Craig is definitely the best Bond and this is the best current movie since The Dark Knight Rises hit cinemas. Although both very different, they are as good as one another. Expand
  30. Dec 2, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It was good. I watched it last night after work (which was the late showing at 10:10 in my area) but fell asleep a couple of times. It was a bit long but very good. Like the fact that it focused more on M (although she died) but it was worth watching. Not better than Casino Royale, in my opinion, but still pretty good. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Roger Moore
    Nov 5, 2015
    Skyfall is far and away the best, and the most British of the Daniel Craig-James Bond movies.
  2. Reviewed by: Robbie Collin
    Nov 5, 2015
    Mendes...lets the quieter moments breathe.... But Mendes is rather good at being loud, too, and his nine times Oscar-nominated cinematographer Roger Deakins makes the wildly ambitious action sequences the most beautiful in Bond’s 50-year career.
  3. Reviewed by: Richard Corliss
    Nov 5, 2015
    While trading on viewers’ familiarity with the series’ venerable fetishes (a cheer rises at the sight of Bond’s old Aston Martin and the sound of Monty Norman’s guitar theme from Dr. No), Skyfall has the life, grandeur and gravity of a satisfying, stand-alone entertainment.