3.3

1. Jan 1, 2014
    Skyline is a huge disappointment of a sci-fi film as the story has no real excitement. The special effects are okay but they are overshadowed and forgotten thanks to the dull acting and premise.
  2. Dec 12, 2013
    It's not often that anything can negatively surprise me. This movie is all hype and no delivery. Yes there are some utterly stunning special effects, but that's it. I really can not say anything else positive about this movie.

The story is cliched, unoriginal and completely falls flat. Acting is just as substandard as a high budget movie could produced. Worst of all, the movie is
    utterly boring. There are some action packed scenes, but they have almost no resonances and when they are over the tone drops dead.

Overall:
    Skyline does look like it had an interesting premise and the delivery at times is creative. But these points are overshadowed by all its other failings. It should be obvious by now that the Strause brothers should stick to special effects, clearly directing and producing is not their forte.
  3. Sep 15, 2013
    skyline skyline skyline why was it even made the story to this is so badly written i still want to know who thought it was a good idea to make this film, here's a spoiler for the hole film... they only leave the bloody hotel room about 90% way through the film! all the film is basically is a group of people watching the world go by into chaos and while there watching they also have freak out moments what is just stupid all there doing is trying to survive in this one little hotel room where they had a party from last night, they try and make them self hidden from the aliens by hanging rags of blankest on the windows, yeah because they wouldn't find the only room with the windows covered suspicious, what was the budget again? $10–20 million WHAT DID THAT GO ON some fancy effects what make there eyes glow amd give them some thinker veins, a monster that kills some people that are hardly intresstin to watch and that i have no feelings for and also the ending... oh god not the ending this has the worst part of this film like most films there is a guy and girl who are together in this the guys brain like many others has been put in to these giant robot bodys and he is the only one that takes over the body you know the only one out of thousends of people, he runs to where he can here his wife or girl friend screaming then attacks the main boss like thing then it ends, im not joking or cutting any thing out thats how it goes theres no fight scene or anything to look like or show that its the end its just CUT end thats it... this was written by two people Joshua Cordes and Liam O'Donnell i guess the saying two minds are better then one doesn't work for that cant write Expand
  4. Aug 22, 2013
    Bad acting, stupid plot, a trailer that shows us the best parts of the movie and misleads us into thinking this train wreck is any good. This sucked. Ever since I see this, I compare sub-par movies to it. This is the ONLY thing that's come from seeing this movie. DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME.
  5. Jul 6, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I am really amazed at the negative bandwagon that everyone has just jumped on with this film. I just watched The Bay (2012), and then re-watched this straight after. The Bay has a score of 6.5 (to me it was average at best)?! By far Skyline was a superior movie. It just proves to me that people have very little taste, and reinforces my theory that there are a number of finds in the low scoring range of movies.

Skyline is a different take to most sci-fi movies... we aren't following the heroes as they save the day. We are watching a group of people try and survive. So, if you are looking for a stereotyped story where the protagonist overcomes obstacles and rises up against the enemy, go and watch some cliche filled movie like Independence Day.

Maybe I have watched too many B or C grade movies, but I thought the acting in this was pretty decent with a few very recognizable faces, especially for this sort of movie. The special effect are top notch and fairly liberal, especially given a budget of $10 mil (compared to Cloverfield's $25 mil for one), and the sound is great.

If you are some fussy, spoiled, narrow minded person who wants their movies safe and predictable, don't watch Skyline. If you are in the mood for some action, cool sci-fi effects and interesting aliens, and don't mind watching something less mainstream, then definitely grab a copy! Makes for a great Friday night or Sunday afternoon movie. +1 on the points to start to make up for everyone else bagging this movie.

(Sort of) spoiler:

If you want the "we win the day" ending, then you may be disappointed. Skyline has more of a horror movie ending. You don't necessarily get the closure you'd like, but then again, given the situation at the end of the movie, what do you think would happen? Its not like everyone was going to be rescued and live happily ever after. There is a whole slew of movies that have similar open ended stories, and yet they don't all receive the negativity people have thrown at this movie...
  6. Jul 4, 2013
    A sorry excuse for a film. "Skyline" was an abomination of a film, the acting was abismal, the camera work was terrible, the special effects were headache inflicting, the movie has no perks whatsoever. I'm capable of watching mindless popcorn flicks, but this movie wasn't even that, there is no action. The entire premise is as simple as this: a couple of people witness an alien invasion and in many failed attempts to flee their apartment building which is swarming with these generic brain craving aliens, they spend the entire movie running in circles while in hysterics. The movie is not worth a cent. No sci-fi movie goer will like this movie, neither will any other movie goer. Its one of the most terrible films I've seen in years and it should be avoided at all costs. Just don't watch this movie, stay away. Expand
  7. Jun 13, 2013
    I think this movie, and all movies generally, need to be viewed in their own context. So in the example of Skyline it is a science fiction movie which plays like a B movie reminiscent from the 50s of that genre. The difference is that 1950s B sci-fi movies had cheap special effects. The special effects are pretty top notch in this film and the story is suspenseful with an easy to follow and understandable plot. We don't know who these aliens are but we do learn why they are here.

The acting is up to standard for this type of film. Although there are no Academy award winning performances in this film the acting is authentic and believable for people under the type of emotional stress these characters are experiencing. The film centers around one apartment complex and when I had heard that I thought that would be a limiting experience. But it is not. It adds to the tension of the movie and gives the viewer a sense of claustrophobia.

The ending of the movie surely sets up a sequel and I hope there is one to this film. It is a fun mindless action oriented science fiction film from the alien invasion genre.
  8. May 27, 2013
    Yay, Skyline! What did I think of it, its horse crap. Nothing much to say about this movie, watch it if you want a migraine. Skyline's irrelevant story line was so appalling, I wanted to get up and leave the theater. THE MOVIE IS BULL SH**! The movie has no plot other than the fact that there are a few characters that you won't give a CRAP about just running around in circles and hiding from overly aggressive aliens. There is no plot, all you have are a couple of generic characters that can't act if their LIVES depended on it, a plot line that was possibly written by a preschooler who completed the script an crayon, an ending that is possibly promoting a sequel that NO ONE wants and dialog that you would find among 5 year olds. SKIP THIS PIECE OF DOG CRAP! Expand
  9. May 3, 2013
    3.4? Come on, the Metascore for this film really is unfairly low. Thankfully the user ratings are slightly higher but for me, this was a highly effective, down-right scary alien invasion movie centered around the occupants of one apartment, making it was much more claustrophobic and involving than other perhaps more celebrated examples in the genre, for example 'War Of The Worlds' or 'Independence Day' both of which are enjoyable films but Skyline just seemed more immediate & realistic. The CGI special effects and alien 'imagineering' are superb and the violence, when it came, was fast and brutal, again making the experience much more believable than big blockbuster Hollywood fare. The alien space ship interior at the end was ingenious and Donald Faison is great. He should be in more movies. Really engaging screen persona. Expand
  10. May 3, 2013
    "Movie of the year', seriously. That tagline is the WORST. It should be, WORST movie of the year. Disappointing that they made this movie, it should not have been made in the first place.
  11. Feb 23, 2013
    Skyline was the worst reviewed movie of 2010 and not without cause. Basically it's a different version of War of The Worlds, with less of a storyline, and a ridiculous ending. The sad part of this whole thing is that the movie started out really good. After the event, I was on the edge of my seat, and then it all goes downhill from there. Eric Balfour is such a good actor, but he's constantly being cast in these subpar movies. I don't understand why nobody wants to offer him a role in a major motion picture. Once again he's very good and engaging in a movie that just crashes and burns. The special effects were cool, the acting wasn't bad, but the story stinks and the further into it you get, the more you keep asking yourself, why am I still watching this? Expand
  12. Dec 23, 2012
    A very fictional movie and meaningless ... but it is entertaining.
  13. Dec 21, 2012
    Was this movie bad or what ? As if AVP was terrible, good grief look at what a mess this film was. The plot was basically was do what your not supposed to do and get killed for it.
  14. Dec 8, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. There's a scene towards the end of the movie where the main character says something like this: "What are you going to do when all the blinds fall down? It's not exactly like we have a lot more bed sheets!" It was in the moment where I began shaking my head in complete dismay as to what the hell I was watching. The screenplay, the cast, the acting, everything was just terrible. The effects were the only thing going for this film, but even those were either blurry or hidden by bright lights. Skyline is horrible and one of the worst of 2010. Expand
  15. Nov 29, 2012
    This movie serves as a perfect example of how no amount of acting or special effects can compensate for a terrible concept. I say that because just about every facet of this film is solid in terms of cinema. The acting is very good, the effects are superb, the plot develops well, decent dialogue, etc. The problem is, the foundation of the story is terrible. Aliens that are essentially indestructible and are somehow powered by human brains. Then when they are destroyed their giant blue orb of light somehow puts everything back together? I'm sorry but no amount of suspension of disbelief can get me through that sequence. Honestly, don't waste your time with it. Expand
  16. Nov 28, 2012
    Not even the somewhat impressive special effects can sweep this movie's horrific acting and storytelling under the proverbial rug.
  17. Sep 2, 2012
    Skyline has some of the worst acting ever put on screen. The only reason why it isn't a 0 is because of the twist at the end, so it wasn't predictable. Problem the ending was so discombobulated it made my head dizzy.
  18. Jul 3, 2012
    There are a lot of jokes to be made about the twilight series. However, I think now its best to laugh unintentionally at the cheesy lines than the jokes made from this movie. I mean seriously, this Friedberg-Seltzer film (this film really suck) 'expects' us to laugh. The jokes don't come off as funny and the actors aren't necessarily helping even though they're only imitating the characters from twilight. It almost feels as if every joke had a guy whacking the drum. .3/5
    *Jenn Proske is the only reason why anyone of you should go. She imitates Bella so perfectly. If you replaced Kristen Stewart with her, you wouldn't be able to tell the difference.
  19. Jan 7, 2012
    Thrilling at times, looks great, but unfourtanetly the story just doesn't expand out very far. I mean once you get to the end and you find out what the movie overall is about you'll find yourself thinking, is that it? Wanna tell me a little more about the aliens maybe? Thats the big problem here, they show me some bad ass imagery of aliens in this movie, but little explanation about them really. We learn a few things but thats about them and thats it. The movie ends having just an A story kinda teasing us with a B by not saying too much about the aliens and sticking to this decent but kinda lame story of some guy protecting his pregnant gf all the time. Good, but not great. Expand
  20. Jan 3, 2012
    I thought the movie was pretty darn good. Although the acting was just okay, the special effects more than made up for it. I really enjoyed it and it doesn't deserve such a low rating. If you like scary sci-fi alien movies, you're gonna like this. Enough said.
  21. Nov 15, 2011
    I felt bored and distraught after about 30 minutes in. A decent synopsis Skyline had, but might just be better if it was made into a first person shooter video game.
  22. Nov 12, 2011
    Merits an average score based on what was produced with a low budget. The aliens were realistic enough so that the CGI was not obvious to spot and the action was reasonable. The story was disappointing considering the possibilities the concept of the movie opened up and the ending was ludicrous.
  23. Nov 1, 2011
    Well in short, I feel like I've lost 92 minutes of my life. Skyline had a good idea and failed to make it work, bad camera angles, bad acting and riddled with cliches. And to be honest, the CGI wasnt even as good as I expected. The trailer of the film promised something more than this, but I was bitterly disappointed.
  24. Oct 20, 2011
    Yes it is a '0' and not worth rating at all. The worst plot with the some terrible action. It's like skipping through Independence Day but this Film is 100x worse (I like Independence Day, one of favourite movies which I would not skip through) but what the hell is this. It is good I didn't come to the Cinema to see this and it was on TV otherwise I would of been extremely pissed.
  25. Sep 18, 2011
    Terrible acting, terrible directing, terrible story. Terrible movie! One of the worst I have ever seen! How did this movie not win all the razzies! Truly awful!
  26. Sep 10, 2011
    The worst movie of the year. I have nothing positive to comment on this movie except for the CGI. the cast is horrible with stone cold acting, running around the penthouse for an hour devoured by aliens. The story is uninspired with a preposterous ending. This is a movie that has lost its way to the direct-to-home video pile.
  27. Sep 7, 2011
    ... the metacritic's are **** up by the people which are misusing it so much. The film is not so bad, and did not win any academy award. For a low budget film it's a very good work. I do not understand, why so much people hate this film, it deserves much better. metacritc's is going down, because some of the audience is putting **** on things.
  28. Aug 23, 2011
    I had to think a little bit before rating this move, was about to rate it 0 but I laughed so but so damn much that it'd be unfair being that mean! Seriously, I think it was worth the budget (yes, I dared go seeing it at cinema) since it was so hilarious I nearly wet my pants.
  29. Aug 17, 2011
    If you have ever seen the remake of â
  30. Aug 3, 2011
    So um yeah, great FX, of course that's what made me want to watch it from the trailers in the first place. But... it all goes down hill from there, high school drama club acting (minus Donald Faison who always delivers) pathetic plot that just never gets going and then drops you like a bad habit and an ending that leaves you with a nasty taste in your mouth. I get that the Strause dudes are trying to lay the ground work for a series but I desperately wish I could take back the 94 minutes of my life I wasted. Its drivel like this that gives the genre a bad rep. Expand
  31. Jul 18, 2011
    Finally a movie that sucks more than Battlefield: Earth. This was one of the worst movies I have ever seen and I mean ever. There was nothing good about this movie, the plot was horrid, the camera work was poo, and the acting was horrid as well. I kept watching, hoping it was going to get better, but it didn't.
  32. Jul 18, 2011
    Very disappointing, after seeing the trailers i thought this could be great, i should have listened to the critics though! Great CGI effects, bad script, bad acting, bad ending.
  33. Jul 17, 2011
    Given that this had zero positive critic review I don't know why I watched this. Now I wished I hadn't. It was terrible. First, you have to sit through about 20 minutes of incredibly corny dialogue. The rest of the movie was just as bad with bad acting and a terrible screenplay. It even had that cliched guy yelling "nooooooooo" in slow motion. How do movies like this get made? Worse yet, it had a stupid ending that implied that a sequel is coming Noooooooo. Expand
  34. Jul 13, 2011
    Boring. Amateurish. And miles away from being frightening except maybe how frightening the acting was. It shows that all the budget went to the spaceships and nothing else. There's really not much more to say except that it was a waste of time really.
  35. Jul 11, 2011
    Cut away first half of the movie and you get a good dose of entertainment, albeit unspectacular. Unfortunately you can't fast forward in cinema.
  36. Jul 8, 2011
    Pretty retarded,bad story line and the alien crap and copied War of Worlds.The alien ships had bad design and the "burning light" crap was a horrible concept of the also horrible movie.
  37. Jul 7, 2011
    Some of the worst acting ive ever seen Jared "JRock" is the biggest tool alive. This was probably the worst movie ive ever seen! Extremely predictable and makes no sense. Im mad i wasred 480 Microsoft points on this turd of a movie! The acting is so unnatural like a bad SciFi channel movie. Dont waste your time!!
  38. Jul 3, 2011
    Special effects are awesome...and I mean really awesome. This movie could have been an incredible blockbuster...if...the characters would have been developed and if the dialogue would have been more meaningful. Great effort though...
  39. Jun 28, 2011
    You don't see this movie for story. You certainly don't see it to enjoy a great script. The reason to see Skyline is the incredible art direction and slick special effects. If you're not an effects buff or science fiction art connoisseur, go ahead and rate it low. If you do love the art you see in things like Heavy Metal magazine, Independence Day, Alien, and so on, you'll love this. Promise.
  40. Jun 25, 2011
    Once the climax of the film started, which did not take long at all, I was ecstatic and livid with the imagery, characters, and the entire alien invasion plot. Graphics were awesome and the ending had me cheering along with the protagonists, I thought this was a great film! Surprised it got such bad ratings.
  41. Jun 2, 2011
    This movie is so over the garbage, the actors really dint even felt that they were acting,looking like dorks that never did a movie. The sci fi aliens looked more like the 80's clay monsters, the end of the movie really made me laugh, plain horrible .
  42. May 27, 2011
    It seems from all the reviews that a lot of people just hated this movie. I think that if I saw it in theaters, I would like it a lot less as well. The problem is mainly that it's a bit slow to get going because they start with the main action of the movie, then it morphs into the opening title credit, and then the story goes back in time to introduce the characters. Then...the scene is a repeat of what you saw before the credits. When that happened I thought "whaaaaat?" shut it off and made a sandwich.

A half hour later, I decided to keep going and then it started to get a bit better. The attack somewhat interesting, but wasn't all like Independence Day (which everyone keeps annoyingly comparing it to), and yes there are similarities to Cloverfield (and also The War of the Worlds). That derivative stuff knocks this movie down a bit. Then there are the characters, which while not great are not all that bad either.

It's in the final act though, that the movie starts to distinguish itself, and it feels like a pretty quick ride to get there. Then there's a bunch of really well thought out interesting stuff, and the story takes some great original turns.

I would recommend it as a decent rental, and I'm interested in seeing a sequel since they already said that it's at least a two part story. When you get to the very end, you might be glad about that.
  43. May 25, 2011
    im suprised ... from all the negitive reviews i thought this movie was gona be a real stinker. i actaully thought it was a pretty decent movie and im a pretty harsh critic . maybe cause i went in waching it thinking it was gona be crap and had my expectations very low it didnt leave me with any hype it was going to be good. i thought the special effects where fairly decent . the acting i thought was ok . i kept hearing how terrable it was . i was expecting acting as bad as The last Air bender where i was just cringing every time any of thoose kids opened there mouth . the action was pretty good and i was entertained through it had some pretty good suspense once it took off . about my biggest gripe was the ending . its a pretty much lets get ready for the sequel thing . which im not sure how well this movie did at the box office to know if there will even be one . granted its not a great SCI-Fi movie but its still a good one i thought. hell id wach it again. Expand
  44. May 23, 2011
    I REALLY dont get the people who are giving this movie low marks!.. I really enjoyed it,& so did the Girlfriend.To me it was kind of a cross between 'Right out your Door' & 'Cloverfield'.So if you enjoyed either of those films,chances are you'd probably enjoy this one.Thought the acting was good,interesting story,that kept me gripped,& The effects are very good also.Hope they make a sequel..
  45. May 13, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. HORABLE!! Absolutely horrible endingâ Expand
  46. May 12, 2011
    Unwatchable BS. No storyline. No plot. Cheesy, schmultzy just plain bad. Can't help but feel sorry for he actors. DO NOT WATCH! As Boring As Staring At a White Wall. Can't call this rubbish Sci-fi. It's too insulting to the genre.
  47. May 4, 2011
    skyline our first encounter our last stand dont look up thats right dont even look up at the screen this movie sucks very boring story thats never explained propaly too short bad acting the effects are very good that is the only thing good about this movie brothers strause make a decent movie your effects are good but your story telling sucks
  48. Apr 21, 2011
    Just saw this movie on dvd and i thought it would be better than that. In reallity, its crap. The effects of the movie looked really nice but the overall scenes were dull and poorly done. It was hard for me to care abbout the characters in any way and their stories were cliched from every B movie on the market. Giant ships and monsters were cool to look at but brought no life to the film. Then that "surprise ending" was awful. Im all for films that just want to entertain, but this one doesn't. Expand
  49. Apr 17, 2011
    The first 30-40 min of the movie held my interest and I thought it was going to something special, but the ending, with its Matrix style of the aliens need the humans for food/energy thing, really throw me off. Writers had 3/4 of a movie, and just winged it from there.
  50. Apr 10, 2011
    How could people like this crap? I never heard of this movie until just a few days ago. A friend of mine told me about it and he thought it was terrible, but I checked it out anyway because I am a huge SciFi fan. After watching this, I wanted to shoot myself! What a piece of s**t! Every aspect of the movie was so freaking stupid. Hell, I'd rather watch Battlefield Earth than watch this mess again. Jesus, what a waste of my time! Expand
  51. Apr 6, 2011
    The movie had potential. I liked how they attempted to portray events from purely the characters perspective. I agree there were a lot of random scenes that were quite pointless to what little story there was. The attempts at character background were somewhat shoddy, but not altogether terrible. The CGI depicted the action and certainly drew you into the show. I think how the characters responded to the crisis and invasion was not portrayed realistically. I know I would have been going door to door in all the apartments looking for weapons or something useful to defend myself. They just stayed in that one apartment the WHOLE time. I would have ventured out at night to try and escape to the sea or at least tried to improve my situation as much as I could. The fact that the aliens were practically impervious to all of the attempts to destroy them quite frankly was retarded. It certainly promoted a somber depressing theme and frustrated me. I would've liked to have seen the few uprisings and military attacks to have made some sort of impact on the aliens. On that note I found it surprising that these aliens with all their technology were thwarted by shades or a simple kitchen counter in their attempts to locate humans. I mean come on, if you can rebuild an entire spacecraft in a few hours after being nuked, but you can see past some shades? What was the point for these aliens to invade anyway? They needed brains to run their biomechanical creations? That's pretty lame. That's about 7 billion brains....I think those ships would have to be a little bigger and that it would take a lot longer to clean out L.A. then a few days. I guess the brains, for the most part, lost their individuality and independence once they were transferred to their new hosts/bodies in a sort of "borg" like fashion. That does not help this already handicapped movie in anyway. I think we all like movies to have some sort of closure, and that attempts to end movies without ending them only frustrate viewers and demonstrates a lack of creativity or ability to put together a cohesive story. These "endings" make me think that the writers/producers could only come up with a bunch of noncontiguous scenes that they thought would be really "cool" to create, but then when they've created them they don't know how to connect them. That is my very long rant on a not so terrible B movie that had its moments in bringing me into the movie, but for the most part left me high and dry in terms realistic portrayal, lack of cohesive story, and fundamentally flawed ending on all points. But hey the nuking of that alien mothership was pretty sweet. I just need to remember not to lock myself in an apartment next time there is an alien invasion. Expand
  52. Apr 5, 2011
    This is a perfect example of when a film's visual effects far outpace the screenplay. The DVD container emphasizes in large font that the visual effects are from the same guys who worked on Avatar, Iron Man 2, and 300! What the container does not say is that the screenwriters from those films did not work on Skyline. Aliens descend from the sky and everything which occurs afterwards, the audience sees from the perspective of a particular group of people trapped in a Los Angeles penthouse. Why this group? Aliens are everywhere and we have to see the events through the eyes of people we cannot stand? The characters are one-dimensional and very obnoxious for most of the time. Why did they waste what must have been an enormous visual effects budget on a story which appears to still be in draft form? Did the producers feel the story in Avatar or District 9 was too complicated? Stay away from this movie!

P.S. The Air Force goes up against the aliens at points and I hope they were using some top secret drones; otherwise, those were B-2s pulling 9 G's and outmaneuvering enemy fighters. Also, an F-22 crashes and 'bounces' right over the main characters. *smacks forehead*
  53. Mar 30, 2011
    I have no idea why people hate on this movie. Before it came out, big hollywood was hating on it because it was a low budget SciFi film. A critic friend of mine even told me he reviewed the movie without watching just because he heard it was bad but then I watched it on BLUERay I was wondering WHAT THE FUNK? THIS MOVIE IS AWESOME!
    It has action, a story, the acting was no where as bad as
    critics would lead you to believe (in fact I think it was above average for a sci fi flim)

So the movie had no big stars in it.... SO WHAT??? This movie was fun and BETTER then a lot of SciFi movies that cost 10 as much to make. I hope they make a sequal to this movie just to throw it in the face of big hollywood.
  54. Mar 30, 2011
    Skyline is the absolute worst movie I have seen in theaters. This piece of crap has a horrible plot, corny diologue and Horrific acting. I would not recommend this horrible movie to anyone, just aweful.
  55. Mar 29, 2011
    This is a brilliant attempt at the sci fi genre. the story was nice and believable. there are no major actors in this one but they do their part well. the CGI aliens are well don. the directors definitely took different steps to what you are used to. there is no average joe turning into a superhero and doing all sort of risky, unbeliebale stuff. it's just 5 people trapped and trying to make it alive as the military being overwhelmed and outdone by the aliens technology and force. You can't help wonder throughout the movie if humanity can withstand this attack. unlike Battle LA or independence day were you know that eventually manking will prevail, skyline keeps you guessing which is a nice change. the ending is left open so am sure a sequel could be expected. Expand
  56. Mar 24, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Passable special effects for the movie's budget is the only thing going for this failure at storytelling. Characters have little to do with what's going on around them and stand around like props waiting to be struck from the set by CGI tentacles. I found myself vaguely interested by the invasion strategy: using light to lure victims into arms reach, but eventually decided it was a little redundant since the aliens are perfectly capable of getting to you and there's not much of a human defense against them. My next bug-a-boo in movies of this genre is a poorly crafted rationale for the protagonist's ability to fight back. I'm lead to assume Jarrod (Eric Balfour) is so somehow special by sheer virtue of his good looks and...neat tattoos because he got super-powers instead of being brainwashed by the alien lure AND was able to transfer his consciousness into one of the alien husks after being 'harvested.' At it's best Skyline is a portfolio for FX on a shoestring budget, at worst, a 94 minute time sink. Expand
  57. Mar 23, 2011
    They should have picked up the unmanned vehicle clash scene and they messed it up. I didn't hate it because of the actors (who can't act if their lives were on the line), I hated it because they did the military intervention so terribly. Whoever says it was like starcraft is STUPID. Waste of money and a definite waste of time it was. Battle: Los Angeles is the movie to see. At least they got it right. Expand
  58. Feb 25, 2011
    The effects were surprisingly good for such a low budget film... But apart from that don't expect much from this film. It feels as if you were watching a bad tv show most of the time. Bad script, bad production, bad actors...
  59. Feb 2, 2011
    I only have one question? How did this film ever get made!!! This movie was trying way to hard to be cool and just didn't get the job done. Skyline, you get an F for FAIL!!!!!

Acting: Bad
    Storyline: Dumb
    Characters: Token
  60. Jan 20, 2011
    What can I say, 9 for the trailer and 4 for the movie. I have to give the intriguing trailer a big round of applause. If you have seen the trailer before, I can guarantee you will be so bloody curious to watch the movie itself (exactly what happened to CLASH OF THE TITANS earlier thiz year). They were editing the trailer so well. But the fact is: Something so wrong is going on. Next Thing I can say, A-Class Special Effects collide with C-Class Actors. The movie directed by Special Effects experts, Colin and Greg Strause, who also directed AVPR: ALIENS VS. PREDATOR-REQUIEM: (2007). The premise is mysterious at the beginning, one night at 4:27 A.M. strange blue beams appear on the City of Los Angeles. It is the first initial of the extraterrestrial invasion. The storyline only follows one point of view (just like CLOVERFIELD, 2008), the movie focuses on a group of certain people and what happens next to them. They are Eric Balfour, Scottie Thompson, Donald Faison, David Zayas and others. There is a scene that I think it is a rip-off from WAR OF THE WORLDS (2005), when Terry meets a stranger and the alien is sneaking around to hunt them furtively with its long and creepy tentacles. The last thing I can say, The Sky is wreck and The Line is flat. Approaching the end of the movie, the story-telling is getting more and more poignantly absurd. For example (Spoiler Alert!), the octopus look-alike alien which could chase and destroy jet aircraft and even sophisticated Stealth fighter jet, can be defeated by bare-hand and an axe. Strause brothers are really getting on my nerves, while they underestimate our intelligence with their absurd story. There are several of them. However there is something that maybe you wont realize. Everyone and most critics thought that thiz movie was a monstrous failure, but what you did not realize that thiz movie made with budget of ONLY $10 million (estimated). To be certain, they made up some real money here. The tagline on thiz movie is: Do not look up, well, do not even look at the film itself. Next time if aliens invade the theaters like thiz again, I would rather go home and sleep on my bed. Do not waste 92 minutes of your life.

Visit My Blog on JONNY'S MOVEE on : http://jonnyfendi.blogspot.com
  61. Jan 9, 2011
    Skyline...when you first watch the trailer you think, well hey this might be a good sci-fi movie..right? WRONG, bad actors, cheesy, horrible effects, idea is nothing new, feels like a knockoff of War of the Worlds or something. Didnt keep me guessing whats next, didnt hold my full attention it was just another sci-fi movie that people will forget exists in a year or less.
  62. Jan 1, 2011
    Honestly one of the worst films I have ever seen. The plot is boring and the actors are atrocious. The film relied on special effects to much. The ending was so frustrating because it should off finished 10 minutes before it did and it didn't fit in at all with the rest of the film. They set it up for a sequel which will probably be as horrific as this one. Please save your money and don't see this. Expand
  63. Dec 30, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I know this film got terrible reviews, but when I saw it I thought it was very good, it had some action in, had a few laughs too and the ending was a little confusing but interesting

Spoiler: For once the humans didn't win.
  64. Dec 27, 2010
    Relatively ambitious, the casting while not superb seemed to suit the style of the film. Was boring at times but I generally enjoyed it throughout and will definitely rewatch it. If you are after some quality acting and drama then don't look here but for some thrills and spills combined with some pretty cool looking alien tech (not dissimilar to those seen in Crysis), look here. I recommend you give it a rent. Expand
  65. Dec 23, 2010
    Skyline borrowed heavily from Cloverfield but added some twisted elements of its own that is plausable if executed right. Unfortunately, directors Collin/Greg Strause's (Aliens vs Predator) misunderstanding of the plot lead to an excruciating hour and a half of watching blue lights and funny looking aliens. Adding to the bad side of the movie came the dialogue. Laughable yet not funny at all, first time writer Joshua Cordes did an amazing job of trying to earn himself a Razzie award for Worst Screenplay. I can't say anything about the cast because apocalypse movies' cast is always the unknowns and are usually bad. But given all the negatives, I think the visual and CGI effects are a bit wonderful. With everything else aside, this is one of the better effects of the year. With admirable visual effects and CGI, Skyline still failed to deliver a good storyline and solid dialogue. Expand
  66. Dec 18, 2010
    this movie wasn't that horrible ; it was horrible but it wasn't that horrible. While i was watching this movie i wanting i was expected more. I hope they don't make a part two. One of the worst movie of the year. I would suggest anybody to go see this movie. They did an okay job directing this movie. This movie had an awful screenplay. It only going get worst. Please don't make a sequel to this movie. I give this movie an extra point because they did a fine job directing this movie shooting this movie in the director apt complex. nice job with the special effect. Expand
  67. Dec 18, 2010
    This movie took about two hours of my life that I can never get back. Though the first scene of the movie is intriguing the movie quickly derails into a morass of hiding in a penthouse, being squashed by aliens, being sucked up into the sky by aliens, and a final scene that leaves the movie watcher wanting to throw a rotten tomato at the screen in disgust. The acting was marginal at best (the script gave them nothing to work with) and the CGI seemed absurd. All in all I would call this the worst movie I saw in all of 2010. STAY AWAY! Expand
  68. Dec 15, 2010
    As far as the suspense goes, it leads you to nowhere. Too many War of the Worlds references are included too. It has also the weirdest, silliest ending which is more, well, weird and silly than you imagine.
  69. Dec 10, 2010
    Take District 9 and Cloverfield, minus the character development, acting, plot, and drama, and you get this. It was pretty terribad- but I like a cheesy movie here and there. The problem with this is that it takes itself too seriously. When I think of how this came to be I imagine someone made some cool looking monsters, and said, 'hey, lets use these for...something.."
    The whole
    'infection' didnt need to be there, unles sit was their way of showing the lead guy 'fighting back' to keep his senses. If thats what they were aiming for they failed. And why is JD in this movie?
    So, points for cool looking monsters, points for aliens in the movie, points for JD....thats 3.
    And omg was the ending lame (must protect female- HULK SMASH!) Like, if there were some character development it'd make sense, but there wasnt...The lead male started out lookin like a tool, and never changed till the very end.
  70. Dec 7, 2010
    Skyline was ridiculous. The acting was hilarious. The aliens looked cool. The ending was a shocker, but not in a good way. This belongs in the sci-fi channel.
  71. Dec 6, 2010
    Great movie.

It´s amazing.

The best movie of alien´s invasion since Independece Day.

Good! Good! Good! Good! Good! Good! Good! Good! Good! Good! Good! Good!
  72. Dec 5, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Awesome movie!

Exactly what I had hoped to see.

*** SPOILER ALERT! Read on at your own risk! ***

Very realistic, as far as the development of the plot goes. See, if earth is invaded by such a far superior alien race, its not a matter of "if" but "when" its "game-over" for you and I. From the perspective of a handful of survivors, it would be what you'd expect see on screen ... exploring, coming to terms with the reality of it all, trying strategies to survive, conflicts amongst survivors under intense pressure, witnessing the army/air-force nuke the alien in vain, and making a final stand before the inevitable "game-over" scene.

Great CGI effects aside, the sound effects were equally great (penetrating alien screech & the roaring engine sound of the Ferrari? Lambo?). The horror and shock elements made some of the people in the cinema scream. I found the conflict between characters highly believable under such circumstances.

Just Perfect!

However, if you're in it expecting an "Independence Day"-styled story where human beat alien against all odds mixed with the incredulous triumphant victorious army vs alien, you'd be in for one heck of a disappointment in Skyline.

Lucky me. I had the right expectations prior to the movie. Thus ...

Looking forwards to Skyline 2! :)
  73. Dec 2, 2010
    there are bits in the movie which are quite entertaining but overall its ok. performances from the cast arent entirely believable and can seem a bit shaky at times. also the storyline feels like one we have seen before and can be somewhat predictable.
  74. Dec 2, 2010
    Let me start with a big question mark (?)@ bad reviews, I don't know if it was the same movie, but the one I have seen is a great movie.

In fact its one of the best alien movies I have seen, well done setup and score, great acting, although most of the actors are new, but they did a great job, in my opinion better than 50% of the movies in the market.

The story is totally believable, and
    close to reality of what it could happen if we got visited by aliens, I tried to find some drawback, like some situation that could be unpractical, but I could not, in compare for example, take the plot of the movie War of the World, the story tries to convince us that the aliens died from viruses and infections in our atmosphere, leave the fact that they are highly intelligence beings, studying us for hundreds of years, and they failed to learn that they could get a flue and die.

Skyline gives you a clever, unique and solid story, far from the generic heroic movie where bullets and rockets wins over laser guns and plasma fields, and much more chance to meet and see aliens than any other movie where rarely you see them in close or even see them at all. The end was unexpected and unique, a win with a twist, and very clever way to set the path to a sequel.

As a conclusion, I loved the movie and I was going to give it 8, but I changed my mind to 9 to balance the unfair negative score, and I recommend everyone to watch it.
  75. Dec 1, 2010
    This movie was so good. I really loved the references to Starcraft II. You guys are all haters this movie was a classic, I can't wait for the blu-ray so I can watch it at home every day.
  76. Nov 28, 2010
    waited, but not worth it...nothing else to say
  77. Nov 26, 2010
    I give this movie a 7 based on its potential.
    I believe if they got a good action director/producer, they could make a fantastic sequel.

Parts of the movie were a bit unbelievable.
    Making the aliens so unkillable will just cause problems in the sequel.
  78. Nov 25, 2010
    I cannot figure out how this movie made it to the big screen. Could have fooled me if you told me this was a high school project. Terrible movie, weak 1st grade plot, cheesy awful dialogue and acting, and fake artificial special effects I could have done better with any movie making app on my computer. I regret not walking out of the theater within the first 20 minutes like I was about to but stayed out of sheer curiosity to see how bad it could be and laugh at how bad it was. I pray that God guides all the people involved with putting this atrocity in front of audiences to retire from the entertainment business and maybe try the fast-food industry. Expand
  79. Nov 24, 2010
    Where do I begin? This film is sloppy. Shoddy camera work, uneeded glares, and a plot so full of holes that is resembles Swiss cheese that has be attacked by a cat. Our characters are barely there, both in an acting sense and in characterization, you could have put some cardboard cut outs in their place for most of the movie. This movie wants to be a summer blockbuster, but just can stand up to the big boys. The effects are passible on some accounts, but when a movie that focuses on its effects is this weak it is time to find another occupation. It is good to look at for a minute, but don't look to hard-you'll see the cracks... Expand
  80. Nov 20, 2010
    This is the worst movie in history. Other than the last airbender. Between bad actors and even worse filming. This movie will go down in history as how to perform cinematic suicide.
  81. Nov 20, 2010
    This is most definitely the worst movie I have ever seen. No depth of characters, little background, most of the movie is set in an apartment with scared people quivering for their life.
  82. Nov 19, 2010
    Highly derivative film with unlikeable characters, a weak script, reminiscent of superior films...but decent in a B-movie, trashy kinda way with good sfx .
  83. Nov 18, 2010
    This movie gets one point for the special effects. The rest of the movie sucks. The whole movie nearly takes place inside the apt building where mysterious lights land and end up being an alien race on a brain eating agenda .. the movie never changes scenes except for the end and a point where the people try to escape....there is no story actually but a moral of you should not pay movie ticket price for this crap Expand
  84. Nov 18, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. In the Sparks song "Cool Places"(an ode to Los Angeles), which featured Jane Wiedlin on vocals, Ron Mael and the ex-Go-Go's bassist sang about going to these cool places and never wanting to "cool down, cool down, cool, cool, cool." After all, Los Angeles is a town unlike any other. It's not Ontario, that's for sure. Concerning these places, the refrain "I wanna go" becomes a sentiment that moviegoers can relate with. "Skyline" is not Bruce McDonald's "Pontypool", the great 2009 Canadian indie whose action, brain-eating action, was also confined to one set. That zombie film had characters, especially Grant Mazzy, the disc jockey played by Stephen McHattie. "Skyline" has zombies all right, but they're not the aliens with an appetite for grey matter; they're the actors, all of whom deliver performances that rival porno ones. We root for these boring people to escape the confinements of Terry's high-rise apartment, because the cabin fever is mutual. We stare longingly at the theater exits. We could have stayed home and watched this sort of bargain basement sci-fi on basic cable. "Skyline" is not a wide release-caliber film. Jamal(Eric Balfour), new to L.A., along with his girlfriend Elaine(Scottie Thompson), starts the ball rolling when he proposes the idea of going to a relatively cool place: the marina, where the boats are, where he believes the aliens aren't. The aliens hate water, he theorizes, so they mobilize: five people, two cars, but before "Skyline" has a chance to get into gear, the car of adulterers(Terry and Denise, played by Donald Faizon and Crystal Reed) is demolished by an alien, just as it emerges from the parking garage. No road trip; no cool places, even relatively cool ones like the marina, because "Skyline" doesn't have the budget for a full-fledged escape from Los Angeles. Whereas "Pontypool" evoked the 1938 radio broadcast of H.G. Wells' "War of the Worlds" by insinuating the action via audio, "Skyline" projects its invasion on a flat-screen television, as a result of the link-up between the telescope and the monitor. Both films re-imagine a scenario in which the Mercury Theater's rendering of the alien invasion, narrated by Orson Welles, was real. Appropriately enough, "Pontypool" had a captivating voice to convey the attack, while "Skyline" lets the action speak for itself, fodder for the screen, as the US military's fight with the enemy gets translated into visuals, turning the speaking-challenged actors into an auxiliary audience. Ultimately, Jamal does end up in a cool place(climate-wise), the alien spacecraft, along with his pregnant girlfriend, once these discriminating extra-terrestrials get their fill of brains, metropolitan brains(L.A. and New York) exclusively, according to the time-log: no Bible Belt brains, no Dustbowl brains, no Appalachian Mountain brains are not good eatin' by these otherworldly creatures' lofty standards. "Skyline" ends with a "minimum of chit-chat", as Jamal, whose consciousness now survives in an alien body, makes human contact with Elaine through touch, like some dystopian version of "E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial". Just when things finally, FINALLY, gets remotely interesting(staving off a zero rating), "Skyline" ends, strangely enough, on a high note. Expand
  85. Nov 18, 2010
    Cannot for the life of me understand any negative comments about this movie - it is FANTASTIC. I think all the groaners have become too spoilt by many movies and can't appreciate true quality when they see it! This was gripping from several minutes into the film to the end, great story with unexpected twist, fantastic effects and very convincing. Saw one groaner complaining how he laughed when the movie suggested the penthouse apartment as the 'only safe place'. Well, no sci-fi movie is totally believable, is it? And the penthouse certainly did NOT stay the 'safest place' as the movie progressed. I foujnd it totally believable - and top quality. Expand
  86. Nov 17, 2010
    THIS MOVIE IS THE WORST MOVIE I HAVE EVER SEEN....HANDS DOWN. I HAVE SEEN BETTER ON THE SY-FY CHANNEL. I WOULD BE ASHAMED TO BE ASSOCIATED WITH THE FILM AS AN ACTOR, DIRECTOR AND MORE SPECIFICALLY WRITER. SPECIAL EFFECTS DON'T MAKE A MOVIE - A STORY LINE WOULD BE HELPFUL - THIS ONE SUCKED.
  87. Nov 17, 2010
    Without doubt one of the worst films I have ever seen. WHO decided this should be made? Film is full of effects, no actual story and all set in a bloody apartment building, and the ending is actually beyond the ridiculous.

TERRIBLE AVOID.
  88. Nov 17, 2010
    Worst movie I have seen in ten years.The only reason I didn't walk out was that my wife fell asleep 20 minutes into it and I didn't want to wake her up. I won't spoil the ending for anyone foolish enough to go see this piece of crud, but it was one of the worst endings to a film I have ever seen, if not the worst. It was like someone came along and surgiclly removed anything that could have been considered plot, and replaced it with pointless filler. Also, the acting and directing were on a junior high school level. Expand
  89. Nov 16, 2010
    Loved it! I went hoping it wouldn't be as bad as most of the reviews are saying but now I wonder if they actually saw it, great movie awesome effects very creepy.
  90. Nov 16, 2010
    Nothing was really appealing about this movie other than one scene where a ferrari gets crushed by a giant alien foot. Other than that this movie was disgusting, lame, and it had horrible acting and pointless scenes which all end up worth nothing. Don't go see this movie.
  91. Nov 15, 2010
    Definately don't think it deserves the critical trashing at all. There's not much there folks...but a bunch of rehashed cool stuff. aliens from outerspace, and scared humans. Don't get your expectations up, just enjoy it. Its good B movie entertainment, and it makes sense as such. As a matter of fact who cares anyway because I think this film goes with the punches in the way that they say there is no such thing as bad ink. Its all publicity and in this case good or bad is all good, because who gives a crap about taking the time to even think about this movie. its not made to be thought through like it was trying to pass itself off as something great in the first place. it is what it is. A LOT A PEOPLES ENTERTAINMENT FA DA DAY. Expand
  92. Nov 15, 2010
    Let's see. Let's take a hit like Independence Day, mix it with some really bad scifi from "movies" like District 9 and War of The Worlds (Tom Cruise edition), throw in just a twist from Paranormal Activity and we'll give it a myseterious name with a great trailer. Don't fall for it. Biggest waste of money I've spent on a movie in recent memory.
  93. Nov 15, 2010
    I'm not going to spend too much time on this review because this film has already taken too much time from my life. Needless to say, this is one of the worst films I've ever seen. It is a clear case of a studio "taking the piss". The story is weak/non-existent, the screenplay pedantic - like "Machete" (though I don't think it's intended), the directing and acting is third rate, and the action boring (my wife fell asleep). Even some of the special effects are reminiscent of 1950s sci-fi. Be prepared to see miniature B2 bombers flopping around the screen like butterflies in the wind. They spent $500k filming this and the rest of a low budget on special effects (some of which were adequate). In any case, I'll be boycotting Universal Pictures for a few months, as well as the producers/directors (Colin and Greg Strause) and writers (Joshua Cordes and Liam O'Donnell) permanently. I don't know why Scottie Thompson would let herself be associated with this mess. Expand
  94. Nov 15, 2010
    I cannot fathom the fact that the advertisements basically describe a different movie than I seen in the theaters. How is that legal? I was so excited for the movie that it makes me sick that I waisted the money for a movie night on this piece of crap. So here goes, I will never invest in another "Brothers Strauss" movie again. I also think that Universal needs to be addressed. Since when did they find it right to invest in crap. Not since "M Night Shamalala's The Happening" has a movie disapointed so much. I will never invest in his crap again either. Good luck Brothers Strauss in your endeavors, At least you wont fool me or anyone else I know again. This movie should of been call "Crapline". Expand
  95. Nov 15, 2010
    I'm a huge sci-fi fan, but this movie left me with a feeling of emptiness. No storyline progression at all. A+ for special effects, but even the massive special FX budget couldn't make up for the horrible casting/acting. The end of the movie had me laughing. Such a waste of money - on all sides.
  96. Nov 14, 2010
    I must have seen a different film from the rest of you. I loved it! Spectacular special effects and a story that keeps moving. I loved that they didn't try to give us the feel-good "Independace Day" ending. Sort of a cross between "Cloverfield" (without the shaky camerawork) and "War of the Worlds". It is an alien invasion movie (that the plot folks) and it delivered even more than I expected. I will recommend it to all my sci-fi fans and will see it again soon. I really thought it was a very good movie!!! Expand
  97. Nov 14, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Watching most of the movie, I was thinking they got many things right. Much better than cloverfield, which left me sick. I kept expecting the second half of the movie to pay off. It didn't. [spoilers now] Nuking the ship - it killed them! (I was thinking this is the first alien that ever died to a nuke.) but it was just a tease. The ending... for a big budget movie, I would have sworn the studio forced them to add that worthless ending. As it is, it took a low key movie that I might have rated a 5, and lowered it to a 2. Expand
  98. Nov 14, 2010
    Stank .. don't even waste your time watching it for "free" when it gets released to broadcast in 6 months... I want my money back! Hmm I got to come up with 150 characters for this review! What can you say! Its a greedy nasty Corporate Hollywood rip off! Did not even come close to the promise of the trailer! Should have read a few reviews before I wasted my money!
  99. Nov 14, 2010
    I would rank it a 6.5 out of 10, but upped it to a 7. I hated AVP:R, and went in expecting to rip this one to shreds. Surprise surprise it is actually a solid B-movie. Will not win any awards, but i do not think it pretends to be anything it is not. Does not deserve the critical thrashing it is receiving. Entertaining 90 minutes at the theatre.
  100. Nov 14, 2010
    I went to Skyline with very low expectations, and it didn't even meet that low standard. I expected a predictable storyline and so-so acting, and the movie delivered there. However, I also expected top-notch special effects, but it just never delivered. Also, violating basic laws of physics in a movie is rarely a good idea.

The movie gets a "3" instead of a "1" because it was laughably
    bad, not just plain bad (e.g. "Signs"). Expand

1. Reviewed by: Aaron Hillis
    Nov 17, 2010
    The military eventually shows up to nuke the joint (L.A., incidentally), but there's no urgency, suspense or charm with all that back-row rattle.
  2. Reviewed by: Marjorie Baumgarten
    Nov 17, 2010
    I'd use the term science fiction to describe Skyline but the movie decidedly lacks both science and fiction.
  3. Reviewed by: J.R. Jones
    Nov 17, 2010
    Visual-effects wizards Greg and Colin Strause directed, showing more affinity for the city's steel and glass than for any of the characters.