Sundance Selects | Release Date: December 2, 2011
4.7
Mixed or average reviews based on 49 Ratings
WATCH NOW
frozenpinkyMay 8, 2012
I actually really liked this film. I like it because it stays with you after it has ended (like Eyes Wide Shut, Mulholland Drive...etc). Although it has nudity throughout, it's not erotic nudity. It's got an almost "cold, sterile" vibe ridingI actually really liked this film. I like it because it stays with you after it has ended (like Eyes Wide Shut, Mulholland Drive...etc). Although it has nudity throughout, it's not erotic nudity. It's got an almost "cold, sterile" vibe riding alongside in the passenger seat. There's plenty of questions to ask yourself when watching (1.The meaning behind the character "Birdman"... 2.The "Lack of Kissing"... 3.The "Will You Marry Me?"... 4.The ending...etc)

There's definitely multiple hidden narratives or meanings that this film operates on and it's definitely trying to examine the objectification of females, and what constitutes as a sexualized image or the nature of sexual aggression. It's also notably showing the parallel of being asleep through her entire life (seemingly not being fazed by anything) and to finally "wake up" at the finale... hence a play on the title.
JohnnydoedoeApr 12, 2012
Definitely not your everyday film. I understand how some people could be offended or dislike the movie as a whole, however, if you watch the trailer before hand or read the synopsis, you should know what you are getting yourself into. TheDefinitely not your everyday film. I understand how some people could be offended or dislike the movie as a whole, however, if you watch the trailer before hand or read the synopsis, you should know what you are getting yourself into. The trailer really shows the sexuality of it. So that being said, it wasnt a bad movie. Some silent moments to show the boredom in her regular life but again, its an artsy film so sit back and enjoy. Passing grade. Expand
nicholasbertOct 30, 2014
No wonder it was Cannes to praise this film. Although Sleeping Beauty is an Australian production, this type of cold eroticism is usually exclusive to French cinema and it is one of its most prized features. Also, no wonder American festivalsNo wonder it was Cannes to praise this film. Although Sleeping Beauty is an Australian production, this type of cold eroticism is usually exclusive to French cinema and it is one of its most prized features. Also, no wonder American festivals neglected it (too much nudity, swear words, full frontal male, drugs, alcohol, but it wasn't Tarantino's, so no).

Trouble is, many people think this kind of movie is pretentious. It depends on your definition. Pretentious films, to me, are those that think they can teach you something, like big morals or history. Sleeping Beauty doesn't even try that, it just lets you open a window on somebody's life. The assumptions and what you derive from what you see is entirely up to you.

So I didn't think it was pretentious, but I did think it lacked a bit of character and sprite. The acting could have been better, except for Emily Browning's which was deliberately plain.

Finally, despite all the nudity, there's not a glimpse of sensuality throughout the whole picture. And after a while one starts to understand how.