Slumdog Millionaire

7.8

1. Janet
    Dec 22, 2008
    I just read David W's review. He must be a young man and doesn't get it. India really treats its citizen's this awful. The country is overcrowded, corrupt and only the strong survive. If you are from the slums as the lead characters were you have only a 20% chance of surviving. If the people don't kill you the disease and poverty surely will. Yes, the premise of the I just read David W's review. He must be a young man and doesn't get it. India really treats its citizen's this awful. The country is overcrowded, corrupt and only the strong survive. If you are from the slums as the lead characters were you have only a 20% chance of surviving. If the people don't kill you the disease and poverty surely will. Yes, the premise of the movie "Who wants to Be a Millionaire" isn't a true story but the lifestyle hits the nail on the head. I guess David still lives in a comic book fantasy world. Without question one of the best movies in many a year and should sweep the OSCARS for Best Picture, Best Directing and Best Screenplay. Expand
  2. May 9, 2011
    A liberating and uplifting movie and the feel-good film of the decade, Danny Boyle delivers the Oscar Winning Slumdog Millionaire. And it's easy to tell why the film has won numerous awards. The film focuses upon Jamil Malik (Dev Patel) an 18 year old orphan from the slums of Mumbai and a constant on the Indian version of Who Wants To Be A Millionaire, who is one question away from winningA liberating and uplifting movie and the feel-good film of the decade, Danny Boyle delivers the Oscar Winning Slumdog Millionaire. And it's easy to tell why the film has won numerous awards. The film focuses upon Jamil Malik (Dev Patel) an 18 year old orphan from the slums of Mumbai and a constant on the Indian version of Who Wants To Be A Millionaire, who is one question away from winning 20 million rupees. However he arrested in suspision of cheating. During his interrogation Jamil reveals his incredible and heartwrenching story of his life as a young boy growing up on the streets of Mumbai with his brother Salim, and how he loved and lost the girl of his dreams Latika (Freida Pinto), each question links to a memoir of Jamil's exhilarating life. Superbly well directed in the ever capable and inspring hands of Danny Boyle who delivers a beautiful film from start to finish and one that will live long in the memory, utterly unmissable! Expand
  3. Jan 12, 2012
    Slumdog millionaire does suffer from some silly dialogue, but the film is beautifully filmed, mighty, wondrous, romantic and just fantastically acted. It deserves its Oscar. I give this film 87%.
  4. TimS.
    Dec 6, 2008
    The best movie I have seen in quite some time. It has everything and sucks you in and keeps you riveted for the full 2 hours - And Bollywood at it's finest in the closing credits to boot! Hello Best Picture!
  5. HollyC
    Jan 4, 2009
    Very good film---loved the beginning more than the end as I thought the young actors/early slumdog scenes were almost perfect--absolutely captivating. The story seemed to unfold predictably and edged on cheesy towards the end, but it still moved me so I guess that says something. Yes, it's very contrived in many parts, but really, it's a solid film worthy of theater prices Very good film---loved the beginning more than the end as I thought the young actors/early slumdog scenes were almost perfect--absolutely captivating. The story seemed to unfold predictably and edged on cheesy towards the end, but it still moved me so I guess that says something. Yes, it's very contrived in many parts, but really, it's a solid film worthy of theater prices and/or rental. Expand
  6. DanaM.
    Jan 5, 2009
    Superb. Some squemish scenes and uncomfortable moments, but one of the best movies I've had the pleasure of experiencing. The acting by the children was remarkable. Go see it!
  7. MicheleC.
    Feb 7, 2009
    The film editing was amazing. I started to leave the theater twice because the sound was way too loud (I have a hyper-sensitive sense of hearing), but the exciting pace of the movie pulled me back to my seat. I inserted some ear plugs I had in my purse, relaxed, and enjoyed the rest of the film.
  8. AaronR
    May 31, 2009
    I rarely watch independent films. When Persepolis was released, I had no desire to go and see it. After hearing about all the Oscars that Slumdog won, I figured I'd order it on demand. I have never been so happy to spend $5 and 2 hours for a movie. Not only did it hide its low-budget production extremely well, but it said to the major Hollywood producers, "Get off you're lazy I rarely watch independent films. When Persepolis was released, I had no desire to go and see it. After hearing about all the Oscars that Slumdog won, I figured I'd order it on demand. I have never been so happy to spend $5 and 2 hours for a movie. Not only did it hide its low-budget production extremely well, but it said to the major Hollywood producers, "Get off you're lazy asses and make a good movie! We made one without all the high-tech equipment, why can't you do the same?!" I would have given this movie a 10 but I felt that the love story was unoriginal, which is not a bad thing; I just would have liked it even more had it been 100% original. Due yourself a favor and watch this movie. It definitely lives up to the hype. Collapse
  9. ChrisS
    May 4, 2009
    If you are one of those people that has problems with plausibilility, you might have problems with this movie as I did. Was it gritty realism or an idealistic romance?
  10. erin
    Jun 17, 2009
    This was one of my favorite movies of all time. It showed you just how violent and poverty-stricken the slums of India are, it showed you the fierce hatred between Hindus and Muslims, it even showed you the lives of children living in India. Apart from nerve-tingling violence (a boy getting his eyes cut out, a girl getting a knife slashed across her face, a young boy killing a man with a This was one of my favorite movies of all time. It showed you just how violent and poverty-stricken the slums of India are, it showed you the fierce hatred between Hindus and Muslims, it even showed you the lives of children living in India. Apart from nerve-tingling violence (a boy getting his eyes cut out, a girl getting a knife slashed across her face, a young boy killing a man with a revolver, a young boy getting beaten harshly by a guard, people setting a man on fire, a boy getting electrocuted) there was a very strong and great message to this movie. There was also slight sexual refrences, but they were very mild (a boy leading a girl into a room, girls dancing scandaly, boys walking through an alley of prostitutes, but not giving them money, although they walk in on a couple but it does not show anything). I thought the acting in it was spectacular. The children playing young Jamal, Salim, and Latika were outstanding, convincing you they truly lived in the slums of India, as well as the older versions convincing you their lives had slowly panned out and changed them into very different people by a sequence of events. There was slight cussing as well (the b-word, d-word, and s-word said only a couple times). But the themes of the movie, you could not help but feel heartbroken at how the children were living in such a poor, violent situation. Being beaten for hardly no reason, having to search through trash heaps, live in such a polluted area...it was incredibly heart-wrenching. There are a few disturbing events, such as a boy jumping into a waste mound, a boy getting his eyes scooped out with acid, a girl dressed up as a hindu god with several disgusting piercings, a boy getting hot chili peppers stuck down his pants, and many others. But apart from the violence and slight sexual references this movie taught me how truly lucky I am to live in such a free country, where people can't take me away to try to force me into gangs to shoot people, or to work as a prostitute. It also showed that just from your experiences, even if you are a "slumdog" from India, if you have traveled places or learned things from your experiences, you can know just as much as a rich gameshow host. :) Expand
  11. TheoP
    Dec 1, 2008
    Great movie! The beginning is definitely better than the end, mostly because of the younger actors doing an incredible job. The ending is a bit cheesy, but overall very enjoyable movie.
  12. fantasy
    Dec 17, 2008
    As riveting a movie as you will ever find. Keeps your attention for the full 2 hours. Reminds me of Pvt Ryan in that once you see it you will never forget it. Kudos for such a wonderful suspenseful movie. Masterpiece worthy of all the accolades.
  13. SusanF.
    Jan 1, 2009
    Superb! Real. Authentic. Hopeful. Masterful filmmaking. It is a unique twist on an old story, done so well and so differently. Best movie I have seen in many years!
  14. AndrewS
    Jan 20, 2009
    Great movie for everyone over 15, especially for Americans who need to be reminded about how good we have it. This movie is about a street kid named Jamal (Dev Patel) who wins on the
  15. MattA
    Jan 2, 2009
    A beautiful story that has heart, and magic. It has just enough realism to keep the suspension of disbelief, but it never loses its fairytale love story, and reaches toward the idea of fate and destiny.
  16. JanetL.
    Jan 31, 2009
    I long to pay homage to Danny Boyle, S. Beaufoy, the great cast, and AR Rahman. This film gives viewers everything they go to the movies for in an explosive yet measured stream of laughs, horrors, griefs, suspense, and wonder.
  17. GregM
    Jan 8, 2009
    All movies stand on scaffolding that is artifice. The best movies (and this is one) make us either forget about the scaffolding, or not care one iota that it exists. This is the case of the latter. We know full well the improbability, even the impossibility, of the events here, but are so swept away by this film, its actors, its premise, that scaffolding be damned. I do like it better All movies stand on scaffolding that is artifice. The best movies (and this is one) make us either forget about the scaffolding, or not care one iota that it exists. This is the case of the latter. We know full well the improbability, even the impossibility, of the events here, but are so swept away by this film, its actors, its premise, that scaffolding be damned. I do like it better than anything else I've seen this year. Terrific movie. And Boyle is one hell of a director. Expand
  18. BryanS.
    Jan 8, 2009
    fantastic movie. great cinematography, entrancing (if a bit corny) storyline, great acting. I loved it. I'd probably give it an 8.7 or an 8.8 but 9 is closest.
  19. J.D.H.L.
    Feb 12, 2009
    The best movie made about the society of the India I've ever seen. There is no doubt about it...
  20. Canon
    Feb 20, 2009
    amazing movie i founded spectacular indeed in terms of the storyline and where it takes place, the slums of india. The love story just captured me.
  21. DougN.
    Feb 8, 2009
    Really enjoyed it. Found the music to be a little hard to appreciate at times. Never the less I'll not forget this one soon.
  22. DanL.
    Mar 12, 2009
    Slumdog Millioniare is clean production, reminiscent of a music video. This turns out to be its greatest flaw. Full of shine and glitz, in the end Slumdog Millionare feels, for some reason, as if it has no soul. Fun fluff. That's all.
  23. PhilD
    Mar 30, 2009
    What people need to understand... what if you only knew 10 things... ever? Only 10 things -- because you grew up in the slums. And by some kind of luck, those 10 things happen to be the exact 10 things needed to change your life! And what if each of those 10 things had a harrowing story to go a long with each answer ? That's what this movie is all about. It's about destiny.
  24. SHOURITE
    Mar 5, 2009
    The most accurate review here is by "C D" & not because he/she is from Mumbai but because of the plot and acting holes in the film that he/she identifies. Slumdog is entertaining and stylistically shot but does not come close to crossing the threshold of a truly great film that deserves a 9 or 10 rating.
  25. MichelleS
    Apr 1, 2009
    Oscars aside, I heard so many good things about this movie from friends, I just had to see it. Honestly I was uninterested, had no desire to see this movie and figured I would hate it. But I really started to get into it and in the end thought it was a great movie. The flashbacks made it a little confusing at times, but it was necessary for the storyline. I found this to be an intriguing Oscars aside, I heard so many good things about this movie from friends, I just had to see it. Honestly I was uninterested, had no desire to see this movie and figured I would hate it. But I really started to get into it and in the end thought it was a great movie. The flashbacks made it a little confusing at times, but it was necessary for the storyline. I found this to be an intriguing love story, along with a success story proving that no matter where we come from or how bad our life has been, there is always hope for a great outcome. And that even if you come from the "slums" you do not have to fit a certain stereotype as Jamal's brother did. I think it's worth watching, even if you're skeptical. The only reason I gave it an 8 is because it was a bit slow to get into the meat of the story and in the beginning it was a bit choppy. Expand
  26. EthanA
    Apr 11, 2009
    A beautiful and breathtaking look at a once-in-a-lifetime chance story of a teenager "slumdog" who just happens to be nearing the final question of Who Wants To Be A Millionaire. How did he do it? The acting was AMAZING. Dev and Freida deserved the recognition they got, but what really stood out, were the amazing child actors! Especially the young trio (Jamal, Salim, and Latika) See it A beautiful and breathtaking look at a once-in-a-lifetime chance story of a teenager "slumdog" who just happens to be nearing the final question of Who Wants To Be A Millionaire. How did he do it? The acting was AMAZING. Dev and Freida deserved the recognition they got, but what really stood out, were the amazing child actors! Especially the young trio (Jamal, Salim, and Latika) See it twice or however many times it takes to recognize this as the best film of 08! Expand
  27. SteveK
    Apr 4, 2009
    Probably one of the greatest movies I have ever seen. Words cannot express the amount of emotion packed into this amazing film.
  28. RB
    Apr 6, 2009
    Excellent movie. The story is what makes it so great. Just the ending I found a bit corny, but other than that this movie is one of the best I have ever seen!
  29. LiefS
    May 20, 2009
    Ok after hearing enough about; I finally checked it out and discovered that it is definitely over hyped but not as bad as some critics are claiming. It was different; which is more than I can say about most of the movies that have been coming out. That is why the wrestler and itself got so many nominations or won something. As for the movie there were definitely some corny/ dry scenes but Ok after hearing enough about; I finally checked it out and discovered that it is definitely over hyped but not as bad as some critics are claiming. It was different; which is more than I can say about most of the movies that have been coming out. That is why the wrestler and itself got so many nominations or won something. As for the movie there were definitely some corny/ dry scenes but not enough to have pushed this movie score below a 5; so if you fell asleep watching, its not the movie; its your narcolepsy. Anybody giving it a 10 needs to realize that there r a few numbers between 0-10; because you enjoyed it doesn't make it a perfect movie. Expand
  30. caporegime
    Jun 10, 2009
    Danny Boyle turned a simple plot into a superb movie. Not every director has that kind of talent. Not every plot turns into a well done movie. One of the best movies this year.
  31. alano
    Jun 17, 2010
    This film was originally meant to be released straight to DVD, but it shouldn't have as it was a good film itself and Oscar-worthy, it was just a little too depressing and not Best Picture-worthy.
  32. mattallen
    Nov 21, 2008
    Luis, just out of curiosity, what are your favorite pics of the year? Instead of being a pretentious blowhard fuck and basically maligning every film that is getting any award buzz, enlighten us with your superior taste in movies. This is a great film. Definitely not perfect, but what is?
  33. Lane
    Dec 18, 2008
    A perfect score as you will not believe your very own eyes. It grabs you a few minutes in and never lets go. The one guarantee is that after seeing this film no one will include India on your places to visit. If you are claustrophobic don't see this film.
  34. MarkS.
    Dec 1, 2008
    This is an incredibly entertaining film. I see a review in here putting it down because it is "Forrest Gump". That would be the "Forrest Gump" that won 6 Oscars including Best Picture. Is there an opposite to "damning with faint praise" - perhaps "exalting with faint criticism".
  35. Darwin
    Dec 21, 2008
    Creative film grabs you and doesn't let go. The acting and the the story is fantastic. Be forewarned that after you see this you will never visit India. Definitely will be up for an OSCAR as Best Picture of Year and deservingly so.
    Dec 20, 2008
    Beautiful, hearwrenching, stunning - how anyone can give this lower than an "11" is beyond me
  37. SiamakF.
    Dec 25, 2008
    This was the most entertaining and breathtaking movie of all year. It also has one of those stories that you will always remember. I hope it wins many awards come this awards season.
  38. SteveC.
    Dec 30, 2008
    Since David W pulled this below a 9 with his jaded view of what movies ought to be, I'll attempt to push it above 9 again with my 10 rating. This is one of the 2-3 best movies I've ever seen - right up there with Groundhog Day, It's a Wonderful Life and A Christmas Story. Well paced - betrayal and redemption, love and heartbreak, all set in a culture and setting unfamiliar Since David W pulled this below a 9 with his jaded view of what movies ought to be, I'll attempt to push it above 9 again with my 10 rating. This is one of the 2-3 best movies I've ever seen - right up there with Groundhog Day, It's a Wonderful Life and A Christmas Story. Well paced - betrayal and redemption, love and heartbreak, all set in a culture and setting unfamiliar and eye-opening for most of us. Expand
  39. BobB.
    Dec 5, 2008
    Masterpiece. The flavor of my favorite novel "Shantaram", great score, plot, love story & such memorable images!
  40. aaron
    Jan 12, 2009
    I went to the movies by myself because my gay brother J was afraid to go. And am I ever glad I did. The movie was great. After seeing the beautiful vision that is India I can't wait to send J on vacation there. I told him about the lush countryside with green hills and valleys to roam and how warm and wonderful all the people of India are. If you are looking for a family vacation I went to the movies by myself because my gay brother J was afraid to go. And am I ever glad I did. The movie was great. After seeing the beautiful vision that is India I can't wait to send J on vacation there. I told him about the lush countryside with green hills and valleys to roam and how warm and wonderful all the people of India are. If you are looking for a family vacation then India is the place for you. Don't miss this feel good warm and fuzzy movie. Expand
  41. johnf
    Jan 13, 2009
    Awesome. Possibly Boyle's best and thats saying something.
  42. SeanP
    Jan 23, 2009
    This is the most upifting and brilliant story told through cinema in a long time.
  43. ListonW.
    Jan 5, 2009
    You'd be hard pressed to find another movie with so much emotion, exploration of the human condition, and commentary on poverty and social conditions. Throw in some underworld gangster action and a game show and this movie somehow ties the elements together perfectly. Don't miss it.
  44. AnnD.
    Jan 5, 2009
    An emotional roller coaster.
  45. VictorM.
    Jan 9, 2009
    A celebration of filmmaking and storytelling. A joy to watch. Everyone who liked this film should still read the book 'Q & A'. It will still surprise you.
  46. PaulF.
    Feb 1, 2009
    Slumdog Millionaire is well worth seeing. It is original, thought provoking, as well as entertaining. The story walked more on the darker aspects of life than I usually like in a movie. But in this case some worth saying needed to be heard. It was really difficult seeing all those scenes of absolute poverty, violence, and criminal abuse those children had to suffer. In many ways they Slumdog Millionaire is well worth seeing. It is original, thought provoking, as well as entertaining. The story walked more on the darker aspects of life than I usually like in a movie. But in this case some worth saying needed to be heard. It was really difficult seeing all those scenes of absolute poverty, violence, and criminal abuse those children had to suffer. In many ways they mirror what has happen and in some cases still does happen to impressionable children around the world. The film helps give understand to how our environment can profoundly shape us. Jamal however throughout everything this never loses his heart, ideals and compassion. He grows to be a man committed to truth as well as living out his highest desire, which in this instance simply being with the person he loves the most. With a single focus he never seems to forget even over length time separations and a vast array of circumstances. I thought the film was spot on, harrowing almost at every corner. The end was ok but seemed to lose its punch a bit, though it had its charm as well. Make sure you stay for the credits which I found quite a surprise. Expand
  47. BarneyW.
    Feb 12, 2009
    Fantastic film which I will remember for a long time. I found that the young actors were especially believable and while it is a essentially a fairy tale that would never happen in the real world, it is one of the best damn fairy tales I have ever seen. Don't forget that, if this film was 100% realistic, it would just be depressing.
  48. SteveM.
    Feb 16, 2009
    Excellent film depiction of life in contemporary India.
  49. CassieM.
    Feb 23, 2009
    One of the best movies I have seen in a long time (and for all you idiots who say that the movie is not realistic when it comes to India and their econamic situation and people, you need to do your research) It may have been unrealistic at times, but that is no reason to hate an amazing movie. It was a really touching story and I left the theater amazed.
  50. KieranS
    Feb 24, 2009
    Rightly said N.C. It is utter hype, and pure escapism. Forrest Gump 2 is a good nickname for this movie.
  51. GabrielC.
    Feb 28, 2009
    One of the bests movies i've ever seen. The actors performance are brilliant mainly the youngest actors. I love it.
  52. AliC
    Feb 28, 2009
    Excuse me, how can you let JM call this film 'the gayest crap ever'? Would you publish comments saying something is niggerish? No. So why is homophobia allowed?
  53. movieset
    Feb 4, 2009
    Great movie I can't get enough of it!! love how boyle left in the part where the 2 dudes say "no filming here" lol classic. Good soundtrack too.
  54. VincentH.
    Feb 6, 2009
    An absolutely amazing cinematic experience. Danny Boyle has been on a real run lately. His last 2 films, "Millions" and "Sunshine" are underrated gems that have dedicated followings but little critical recognition. "Slumdog Millionaire" in my opinion is probably one of the two or three best things that Boyle has ever done. The real hero of the film though is Anthony Dod Mantle. Those "in An absolutely amazing cinematic experience. Danny Boyle has been on a real run lately. His last 2 films, "Millions" and "Sunshine" are underrated gems that have dedicated followings but little critical recognition. "Slumdog Millionaire" in my opinion is probably one of the two or three best things that Boyle has ever done. The real hero of the film though is Anthony Dod Mantle. Those "in the know" know that Mantle is one of the best living cinematographers alive and the photography in this movie is a big part of what makes it great. The camerawork makes this film really come alive and Mantle should've been recognized more. By the Academy and the Golden Globes. Expand
  55. NC.
    Feb 7, 2009
    Americans, Indians and their high fibre diet.... I stake my house that this movie and Benjamin Button (aka Forrest Gump Two) sweep the oscars.... Why!!?? Instead of trying to shape the thought of your nations via ignorance and the glossing over of serious issues and complex situations with superficial and insulting generalisations and inaccuarcies to suit said 'high-fibre diet' Americans, Indians and their high fibre diet.... I stake my house that this movie and Benjamin Button (aka Forrest Gump Two) sweep the oscars.... Why!!?? Instead of trying to shape the thought of your nations via ignorance and the glossing over of serious issues and complex situations with superficial and insulting generalisations and inaccuarcies to suit said 'high-fibre diet' i.e., show them what makes them feel good and works, not what is true and makes one truly think and self-examine - good AND THE UGLY (and in all it's glory, not manipulated and summarised for easier consumption, you pussies).... remember when america gave all those awards to Forrest Gump? It is a silly robert zemekis fantasy movie of such incredible historical inaccuracies and crass ignorance that it is regarded by some nowadays as the worst film of all time - certainly one of the most intellectually-insulting cinematic experiences of all time.... but, oh, America the brave and the free and all things that are good.... and good 'ol india, represented by a handsome young man with good luck on his side, rising above his situation to manage to win a million dollars in an hour and have the woman of his dreams while the cities and country rot in a cess pool of rubbish, filth, human excrement and real, honest BROKEN dreams in their tens upon tens of millions..... wake up!! Danny Boyle even udnerpaid the indian mumbai orphans used int he film etc... touche. The Oscars handed about two oscars to 'No Country FOM' last year and even one critic above in reviewing 'Slumdog M' (a stupid, stupid reworking of the title "Q and A", but a reworking that reveals the uncomfortable contradictions inherent in the minds of the filmmakers and indeed their hearts too.... as they must manipulate, which disrespects the audience) refers to how 'after last years black-hearted NCFOM' etc etc----..WTF!!??? NCFOM is one of the greatest films ever made - indisputebly. Great art doesn't always put a smile on your face but that doesn't make it worse..... If I recall rightly, Romeo and Juliet is the greatest romance of all time and the most enduring... Tell me, how did that one turn out? Happiness is what you actually DO with your life..... art is about growing and being taken to places unexpected, being tested emotionally, intlelectually and intestinally and not giving in brainlessly to the slap and tickle you fantasized about in la-la land and then giving the piece of trash 11 oscars. Put it this way, as a NZer, Return of the King deserved about 4...... but you crazy americans get all caught up and sucked into the hype and you LOVE your high-fibre diet..... I knew when return of the king dragged on an hour too long with sentimental BS that it would sweep the oscars... SAD. Reward the best film, not the film that makes you happy - you bloody knobs. Expand
  56. roberti.
    Feb 7, 2009
    Something fresh, something new, somewhere new.
  57. DavidH
    Feb 9, 2009
    Awesome movie, I've seen it 4 times and it's just as good each time. A little bit of everything in this film, by far the best movie of the year.
  58. MK
    Mar 1, 2009
    Saw it first day it came out, having now idea what I was getting myself into... and look at it now!
  59. kenanh
    Mar 31, 2009
    I went to go see this the day it came out and i had no idea what to expect. I went crazy and I loved this movie so much. I got goosebumps through out the movie. I usually hate feel good movies, but the thing with this movie is that it actually did make me feel really good. Best movie this year by far.
  60. AnonymousMC
    Apr 11, 2009
    How can anyone hate this movie?-oh wait a minute, I know why, they're busy watching Meet the Spartans and Disaster Movie. This is a unique film. I've never seen anything like it, and every moment I spent watching left me speechless. Beautiful movie. Best of the Year? Nah, I still say The Dark Knight is the best, but it is tide second best with The Curious Case of Benjamin Button.
  61. JohnH
    Apr 10, 2009
    No wonder why it won Best Picture. The top five best movies last year in my opinion were Slumdog Millionaire, The Dark Knight, Gran Torino, The Changeling, and Iron Man. This is a great movie that everyone should see. Great acting, musical score, special effects, and everything. A very well done film!!!!!!!!!!
  62. DanC
    Apr 18, 2009
    Fantastic movie .. I do not see how anyone can rate this lower then a 9, some people are crazy and must be really picky. This is one of the best movies I have seen, ever.
  63. maurciol
    Apr 19, 2009
    Damm this movie really took Hollywood by surprise, it deserved all the awards and was really impacting.
  64. kishand
    Apr 24, 2009
    Exciting, heartbeating drama that keeps you on the edge of your seat BRILLIANT!!!
  65. StevenL
    Jun 22, 2009
    @ Aaron: since when does a Danny Boyle flick that cost 5 million dollars provided by Warner to produce constitute a "low-budget independent flick"? I'll agree that Slumdog was thoroughly engaging and overall satisfying, and would recommend it to others. Best picture of 2008? Maybe, maybe not, but it certainly hits a chord.
  66. nickvgsds
    Aug 15, 2009
    i liked it but can't stand those stupid idian kdis, they are annoying and are all little shits. I hate indian people especially when they speak english that accent they have is the worst. I wish i could meet those little kids so i caould punch them in the face, Indian people shoud not be allowed to live, who's with me lets wipe them off the face of the earth. At school there arei liked it but can't stand those stupid idian kdis, they are annoying and are all little shits. I hate indian people especially when they speak english that accent they have is the worst. I wish i could meet those little kids so i caould punch them in the face, Indian people shoud not be allowed to live, who's with me lets wipe them off the face of the earth. At school there are 234234234234 of them, and they ask the dumbest questions, DIE INDIANS PLEASE DO US A FAVOR. Expand
  67. SophiaB
    Jan 24, 2010
    Soooo good! I am 12 years old and found everything easy to understand. I was close to tears when their mother died and whenthe poor boy's eyes were blinded with acid out, but I ACTUALLY cried when Salim sold Jamal's autograph from the film star! I have no idea why but i felt so sad in that scene... The other more predictible time when I cried was near the end when Salim died. Soooo good! I am 12 years old and found everything easy to understand. I was close to tears when their mother died and whenthe poor boy's eyes were blinded with acid out, but I ACTUALLY cried when Salim sold Jamal's autograph from the film star! I have no idea why but i felt so sad in that scene... The other more predictible time when I cried was near the end when Salim died. People generally don't like Salim, but I just thought he was a greed filled young boy who made a few mistakes... (apart from when he sold Jamal's autograph). Expand
  68. ThomF.
    Nov 14, 2008
    Exhilarating, and astonishing. I loved it from beginning to end. What a way to tell a story!
  69. WillE.
    Nov 16, 2008
    Not best picture worthy. Mainly because of the highly commercial deus ex machina ending. By the halfway mark, the film starts getting progressively worse. It tries to become this romance film but does so with very little momentum. Dev Patel is inconsistent while Frieda Pinta doesn't quite make it. Don't get me wrong, I did love it. The first half of the film is perfect. I was Not best picture worthy. Mainly because of the highly commercial deus ex machina ending. By the halfway mark, the film starts getting progressively worse. It tries to become this romance film but does so with very little momentum. Dev Patel is inconsistent while Frieda Pinta doesn't quite make it. Don't get me wrong, I did love it. The first half of the film is perfect. I was beaming the entire time with enjoyment - it was exciting, it was scary, it was funny. It was pure Dickens. By the time Jamal becomes a teenager, it begins to fall apart. Boyle's direction is tight and the editing/cinematography is immaculate. All in all though, its a good film that needs more of a audience because it is incredibly original. Good message about destiny and the tragedy of the caste system. Just wished I felt more for Latika at the end of the film. Expand
  70. CharlesQ.
    Nov 16, 2008
    Boyle's modern take on a classic fairy tale is an exhilarating and incredibly fulfilling experience.
  71. BrianG
    Nov 24, 2008
    There are flaws but still I can say along with WALL - E, it's my favorite film of the year. It is a FABLE, so if you expect everything in the movie to follow logic, you will be disappointed. If you like to dream or even daydream, it's terrific.
  72. ACAC
    Dec 10, 2008
    The best film I have seen in a long time. I would give it best picture at the Oscars
  73. Nomag
    Dec 1, 2008
    It was one of the best movies I have seen, but there should have been a warning, regarding the violence. There were gasps in the audience. Many people covered there eyes.
  74. SteveG
    Dec 1, 2008
    This is a wonderful movie. The narrative is involving and interesting. The interrogation model used to forward the story by dealing with each of the questions he answered correctly was clever. The acting is first rate. I even liked the Bollywood song and dance at the end, which is ironic because I don't much like most Bollywood style films. Other than the very end, this is not a This is a wonderful movie. The narrative is involving and interesting. The interrogation model used to forward the story by dealing with each of the questions he answered correctly was clever. The acting is first rate. I even liked the Bollywood song and dance at the end, which is ironic because I don't much like most Bollywood style films. Other than the very end, this is not a Bollywood film. It is a passionate love story, a tale of honor, dishonor and redemption. One of the best films I've seen this year, or in recent years. Wonderful. Expand
  75. TomD.
    Dec 12, 2008
    One of the better movies I've seen in the last few years; it amazes me that people can write movies like this, truly a great story that has it all - action, romance, drama, etc.
  76. JosephG.
    Dec 19, 2008
    I gave it a 10 only because I can't go any higher. Excellent movie! It's so good I saw it 2x already and don't mind seeing it again (and again!).
  77. BrianV.
    Dec 20, 2008
    Just good, nothing spectacular. Some stylish direction and interesting storytelling until it reaches the present day at the end. At that point, things get overly schmaltzy and really generic. I don't see what all the hype is about, it's just a decent film. If this wins best picture at the Oscars, it's a crime.
  78. CraigM
    Dec 21, 2008
    In response to the comment by David W-- I agree that this was not necessarily an "uplifting" movie. In fact, to even market it as a "feel good" movie is misleading. With that said, it is a GREAT movie. I give it a "10" for being an intense drama and an exciting unique mix of genres. And yes, as you mentioned, horror is one of the elements of the film.
  79. AustinB.
    Dec 21, 2008
    I can imagine audiences in every country dancing in the theatre. no matter who you are you will like this movie in some way.
  80. JackF.
    Dec 20, 2008
    I've been watching good movies for nearly 62 years. This was one of the best films I've ever seen. I didn't want to like it when it appeared to be a film excoriating the Indian caste system for its ghastly treatment of slumdwellers, but I kept being drawn in. By the time the credits rolled, I was riveted to my seat with everyone else in the theater. A brilliant cinematic I've been watching good movies for nearly 62 years. This was one of the best films I've ever seen. I didn't want to like it when it appeared to be a film excoriating the Indian caste system for its ghastly treatment of slumdwellers, but I kept being drawn in. By the time the credits rolled, I was riveted to my seat with everyone else in the theater. A brilliant cinematic achievement. If this is Bollywood, bring on more. Expand
  81. CraigR.
    Dec 23, 2008
    One of the best movies I've seen this year.
  82. SteveS.
    Dec 23, 2008
    The movie moved along without letup, the acting was fine, the story was quite unusual (especially for Westerners), but somehow it did not really grab me emotionally.
  83. ShankarS.
    Dec 25, 2008
    Stockholm, Sweden, Scandinavia This movie was mind blowing, really heart touching. The director Danny Boyle and the music producer A.R. Rahman did a amazing job in this movie. The background score was really good. A.R. Rahman is without any doubt one of the best music directors in this world. This movie will get in to my top 10!
  84. lalalandheyy
    Dec 27, 2008
    The San Francisco Chronicle, Christian Science Monitor are just too dumb to understand (not surprised). All the decent reviews gave it good.
  85. LarissaM.
    Dec 27, 2008
    This movie was beautiful. Jamal's story shows that sometimes greatness can come from true despair.
  86. JamesM
    Dec 29, 2008
    Amazing soundtrack, breathtaking photography, incredible story, and excellent acting. By far one of the best movies I have seen in a long time.
  87. PaulI.
    Dec 31, 2008
    The best movie I have ever seen!!! It was perfect! The way the story is told is better than any other movie. 2 hours of enjoyment!
  88. DavidV
    Jan 14, 2009
    I would rank this movie 7.5, but 8 is the more accurate. I feel that it was a good story to tell. It was also a really inventive way of telling it, but I don't see it as being completely innovative and unique. The entire movie felt good, but it didn't kick in until the last 30 minutes. It is worth watching, but I don't see why it is on everyone's top 5 list this year I would rank this movie 7.5, but 8 is the more accurate. I feel that it was a good story to tell. It was also a really inventive way of telling it, but I don't see it as being completely innovative and unique. The entire movie felt good, but it didn't kick in until the last 30 minutes. It is worth watching, but I don't see why it is on everyone's top 5 list this year (2008), unless it is because a lot of bad movies came out. Expand
  89. GreysonT
    Jan 18, 2009
    Interesting movie, if only for the fact that my date for the night actually said the love story to it detracted from the movie. Acting was good, the sense of humor was dry and often not easy to spot, and yet it still managed to punch you in the gut in the early half of the movie. The last half was it's weakest in my opinion.
  90. JonathanS.
    Jan 22, 2009
    It was undeniably one of the better movies of the year, but it didn't blow me away. I saw it before all the awards hype during it's limited run, so I didn't have many expectations except that I love Danny Boyle. I thought the set-up was a bit predictable and made the film feel a bit more linear than it should have--but everything else was well done. My father thought the It was undeniably one of the better movies of the year, but it didn't blow me away. I saw it before all the awards hype during it's limited run, so I didn't have many expectations except that I love Danny Boyle. I thought the set-up was a bit predictable and made the film feel a bit more linear than it should have--but everything else was well done. My father thought the film was incredibly good, and he is never open to a movie that is even remotely indie or foreign (though this was pretty streamlined, but still). So I recognize it's strengths, and definitely think it deserves its accolades more than Benjamin Button (it's just Forrest Gump 2!!! Jeez!), but it just didn't do that much for me. I'm quite sure that most people will really enjoy it though, so don't let me be a detractor. (Just for my money's worth, the best films I've seen this year are The Wrestler and Revolutionary Road, but hey--tastes.) Expand
  91. GerardZ.
    Jan 24, 2009
    One of the best movies of the last ten years. Some scenes are very difficult to watch.
  92. mehulshah
    Jan 25, 2009
    coming 4m mumbai i see this everyday.. n it still shocked me .. brutally real , heartwrenching . " SCARY"... .. aggrieved national sentiment ( cz d real india is much much more than slums . n despair ).... bt it delivers hope , triumph of love albeit in a typically melodramatic bollywood way .... it still managed to make me stand up and applaud... p.s: rahman with his score is awesome
  93. Martin
    Jan 31, 2009
    This is film at its best - challenging, funny, romantic and uplifting all at once. And most importantly, it is so enjoyable that the time spent going to see at the cinema is worthwhile.
  94. TaylorC
    Feb 28, 2009
    Slumdog Millionaire is an absolute masterpiece. Everything about the film is amazing. The direction is amazing, the acting is amazing, the writing is amazing, the cinematography is amazing, and the score and music are amazing as well. This is the kind of movie that everyone can appreciate. It has themes of dramas, comedies, musicals, and especially romance. It might seem like everyone is Slumdog Millionaire is an absolute masterpiece. Everything about the film is amazing. The direction is amazing, the acting is amazing, the writing is amazing, the cinematography is amazing, and the score and music are amazing as well. This is the kind of movie that everyone can appreciate. It has themes of dramas, comedies, musicals, and especially romance. It might seem like everyone is overrating this movie, but oh no that is wrong. In my opinion, this movie is underrated. Slumdog Millionaire is definite must-see and is one of the greatest movies I have ever seen, if not the greatest. Expand
  95. JayH
    Mar 23, 2009
    Perhaps my expectations were too high going into the film. It is indeed well crafted, with outstanding cinematography, editing and score. It has a great pace and rich character development. It didn't "wow" me though. I did thoroughly enjoy it, but it isn't among my favorite best picture winners.
  96. GeorgeM
    Nov 12, 2008
    A real crowd pleaser with bigger issues on its mind. It is a gritty fairy tale or, if you prefer, a shaggy dog story that owes a lot to Dickens. Sure, it is filled with stereotypes but the take on them is so fresh you won't mind a bit. You won't have a better time at the movies this year.
  97. RogerC.
    Nov 18, 2008
    This is the thinking-man's feel-good movie.
  98. DanB.
    Nov 23, 2008
    Quite possibly the best film of the decade - surely of the year. It's a winner in every sense of the word!
  99. ErcL.
    Nov 25, 2008
    The best movie experience all year. Easily rates a 10. Danny Boyle does his best work to date especially interweaving flashback sequences with events going on in the present tense. Definite Oscar consideration for Best Picture. Finally, Luis your "0" vote does not count because I can tell you haven't seen the movie at all including all the other small Arthouse movies listed on your The best movie experience all year. Easily rates a 10. Danny Boyle does his best work to date especially interweaving flashback sequences with events going on in the present tense. Definite Oscar consideration for Best Picture. Finally, Luis your "0" vote does not count because I can tell you haven't seen the movie at all including all the other small Arthouse movies listed on your hate list. Expand
  100. MichaelA
    Nov 25, 2008
    A Masterpiece. Highly original. Don't listen to anybody else. Go see it for yourself. The best film of 2008. Really. I mean, what else is there? The Dutchess? Happy Go Lucky?

1. Reviewed by: Scott Mendelson
    Absolutely perfect family entertainment for anyone over the age of ten. It is a celebration of not just the usual triumph of the human spirit, but a celebration of the human experience.
    The result is magical and life affirming, and will enrapture those who are not scared away by the mention of "subtitles."
  3. Reviewed by: Peter Brunette
    What's perhaps most fascinating about the film is Boyle's relentless focus on the realities of present-day India as a vehicle for his spectacle and laughs.