7.8

1. Janet
    Dec 22, 2008
    I just read David W's review. He must be a young man and doesn't get it. India really treats its citizen's this awful. The country is overcrowded, corrupt and only the strong survive. If you are from the slums as the lead characters were you have only a 20% chance of surviving. If the people don't kill you the disease and poverty surely will. Yes, the premise of the I just read David W's review. He must be a young man and doesn't get it. India really treats its citizen's this awful. The country is overcrowded, corrupt and only the strong survive. If you are from the slums as the lead characters were you have only a 20% chance of surviving. If the people don't kill you the disease and poverty surely will. Yes, the premise of the movie "Who wants to Be a Millionaire" isn't a true story but the lifestyle hits the nail on the head. I guess David still lives in a comic book fantasy world. Without question one of the best movies in many a year and should sweep the OSCARS for Best Picture, Best Directing and Best Screenplay. Expand
  2. May 9, 2011
    A liberating and uplifting movie and the feel-good film of the decade, Danny Boyle delivers the Oscar Winning Slumdog Millionaire. And it's easy to tell why the film has won numerous awards. The film focuses upon Jamil Malik (Dev Patel) an 18 year old orphan from the slums of Mumbai and a constant on the Indian version of Who Wants To Be A Millionaire, who is one question away from winningA liberating and uplifting movie and the feel-good film of the decade, Danny Boyle delivers the Oscar Winning Slumdog Millionaire. And it's easy to tell why the film has won numerous awards. The film focuses upon Jamil Malik (Dev Patel) an 18 year old orphan from the slums of Mumbai and a constant on the Indian version of Who Wants To Be A Millionaire, who is one question away from winning 20 million rupees. However he arrested in suspision of cheating. During his interrogation Jamil reveals his incredible and heartwrenching story of his life as a young boy growing up on the streets of Mumbai with his brother Salim, and how he loved and lost the girl of his dreams Latika (Freida Pinto), each question links to a memoir of Jamil's exhilarating life. Superbly well directed in the ever capable and inspring hands of Danny Boyle who delivers a beautiful film from start to finish and one that will live long in the memory, utterly unmissable! Expand
  3. Jan 12, 2012
    Slumdog millionaire does suffer from some silly dialogue, but the film is beautifully filmed, mighty, wondrous, romantic and just fantastically acted. It deserves its Oscar. I give this film 87%.
  4. TimS.
    Dec 6, 2008
    The best movie I have seen in quite some time. It has everything and sucks you in and keeps you riveted for the full 2 hours - And Bollywood at it's finest in the closing credits to boot! Hello Best Picture!
  5. DanaM.
    Jan 5, 2009
    Superb. Some squemish scenes and uncomfortable moments, but one of the best movies I've had the pleasure of experiencing. The acting by the children was remarkable. Go see it!
  6. AaronR
    May 31, 2009
    I rarely watch independent films. When Persepolis was released, I had no desire to go and see it. After hearing about all the Oscars that Slumdog won, I figured I'd order it on demand. I have never been so happy to spend $5 and 2 hours for a movie. Not only did it hide its low-budget production extremely well, but it said to the major Hollywood producers, "Get off you're lazy I rarely watch independent films. When Persepolis was released, I had no desire to go and see it. After hearing about all the Oscars that Slumdog won, I figured I'd order it on demand. I have never been so happy to spend $5 and 2 hours for a movie. Not only did it hide its low-budget production extremely well, but it said to the major Hollywood producers, "Get off you're lazy asses and make a good movie! We made one without all the high-tech equipment, why can't you do the same?!" I would have given this movie a 10 but I felt that the love story was unoriginal, which is not a bad thing; I just would have liked it even more had it been 100% original. Due yourself a favor and watch this movie. It definitely lives up to the hype. Expand
  7. erin
    Jun 17, 2009
    This was one of my favorite movies of all time. It showed you just how violent and poverty-stricken the slums of India are, it showed you the fierce hatred between Hindus and Muslims, it even showed you the lives of children living in India. Apart from nerve-tingling violence (a boy getting his eyes cut out, a girl getting a knife slashed across her face, a young boy killing a man with a This was one of my favorite movies of all time. It showed you just how violent and poverty-stricken the slums of India are, it showed you the fierce hatred between Hindus and Muslims, it even showed you the lives of children living in India. Apart from nerve-tingling violence (a boy getting his eyes cut out, a girl getting a knife slashed across her face, a young boy killing a man with a revolver, a young boy getting beaten harshly by a guard, people setting a man on fire, a boy getting electrocuted) there was a very strong and great message to this movie. There was also slight sexual refrences, but they were very mild (a boy leading a girl into a room, girls dancing scandaly, boys walking through an alley of prostitutes, but not giving them money, although they walk in on a couple but it does not show anything). I thought the acting in it was spectacular. The children playing young Jamal, Salim, and Latika were outstanding, convincing you they truly lived in the slums of India, as well as the older versions convincing you their lives had slowly panned out and changed them into very different people by a sequence of events. There was slight cussing as well (the b-word, d-word, and s-word said only a couple times). But the themes of the movie, you could not help but feel heartbroken at how the children were living in such a poor, violent situation. Being beaten for hardly no reason, having to search through trash heaps, live in such a polluted area...it was incredibly heart-wrenching. There are a few disturbing events, such as a boy jumping into a waste mound, a boy getting his eyes scooped out with acid, a girl dressed up as a hindu god with several disgusting piercings, a boy getting hot chili peppers stuck down his pants, and many others. But apart from the violence and slight sexual references this movie taught me how truly lucky I am to live in such a free country, where people can't take me away to try to force me into gangs to shoot people, or to work as a prostitute. It also showed that just from your experiences, even if you are a "slumdog" from India, if you have traveled places or learned things from your experiences, you can know just as much as a rich gameshow host. :) Expand
  8. fantasy
    Dec 17, 2008
    As riveting a movie as you will ever find. Keeps your attention for the full 2 hours. Reminds me of Pvt Ryan in that once you see it you will never forget it. Kudos for such a wonderful suspenseful movie. Masterpiece worthy of all the accolades.
  9. SusanF.
    Jan 1, 2009
    Superb! Real. Authentic. Hopeful. Masterful filmmaking. It is a unique twist on an old story, done so well and so differently. Best movie I have seen in many years!
  10. AndrewS
    Jan 20, 2009
    Great movie for everyone over 15, especially for Americans who need to be reminded about how good we have it. This movie is about a street kid named Jamal (Dev Patel) who wins on the
  11. MattA
    Jan 2, 2009
    A beautiful story that has heart, and magic. It has just enough realism to keep the suspension of disbelief, but it never loses its fairytale love story, and reaches toward the idea of fate and destiny.
  12. JanetL.
    Jan 31, 2009
    I long to pay homage to Danny Boyle, S. Beaufoy, the great cast, and AR Rahman. This film gives viewers everything they go to the movies for in an explosive yet measured stream of laughs, horrors, griefs, suspense, and wonder.
  13. GregM
    Jan 8, 2009
    All movies stand on scaffolding that is artifice. The best movies (and this is one) make us either forget about the scaffolding, or not care one iota that it exists. This is the case of the latter. We know full well the improbability, even the impossibility, of the events here, but are so swept away by this film, its actors, its premise, that scaffolding be damned. I do like it better All movies stand on scaffolding that is artifice. The best movies (and this is one) make us either forget about the scaffolding, or not care one iota that it exists. This is the case of the latter. We know full well the improbability, even the impossibility, of the events here, but are so swept away by this film, its actors, its premise, that scaffolding be damned. I do like it better than anything else I've seen this year. Terrific movie. And Boyle is one hell of a director. Expand
  14. BryanS.
    Jan 8, 2009
    fantastic movie. great cinematography, entrancing (if a bit corny) storyline, great acting. I loved it. I'd probably give it an 8.7 or an 8.8 but 9 is closest.
  15. J.D.H.L.
    Feb 12, 2009
    The best movie made about the society of the India I've ever seen. There is no doubt about it...
  16. Canon
    Feb 20, 2009
    amazing movie i founded spectacular indeed in terms of the storyline and where it takes place, the slums of india. The love story just captured me.
  17. PhilD
    Mar 30, 2009
    What people need to understand... what if you only knew 10 things... ever? Only 10 things -- because you grew up in the slums. And by some kind of luck, those 10 things happen to be the exact 10 things needed to change your life! And what if each of those 10 things had a harrowing story to go a long with each answer ? That's what this movie is all about. It's about destiny.
  18. EthanA
    Apr 11, 2009
    A beautiful and breathtaking look at a once-in-a-lifetime chance story of a teenager "slumdog" who just happens to be nearing the final question of Who Wants To Be A Millionaire. How did he do it? The acting was AMAZING. Dev and Freida deserved the recognition they got, but what really stood out, were the amazing child actors! Especially the young trio (Jamal, Salim, and Latika) See it A beautiful and breathtaking look at a once-in-a-lifetime chance story of a teenager "slumdog" who just happens to be nearing the final question of Who Wants To Be A Millionaire. How did he do it? The acting was AMAZING. Dev and Freida deserved the recognition they got, but what really stood out, were the amazing child actors! Especially the young trio (Jamal, Salim, and Latika) See it twice or however many times it takes to recognize this as the best film of 08! Expand
  19. SteveK
    Apr 4, 2009
    Probably one of the greatest movies I have ever seen. Words cannot express the amount of emotion packed into this amazing film.
  20. RB
    Apr 6, 2009
    Excellent movie. The story is what makes it so great. Just the ending I found a bit corny, but other than that this movie is one of the best I have ever seen!
  21. mattallen
    Nov 21, 2008
    Luis, just out of curiosity, what are your favorite pics of the year? Instead of being a pretentious blowhard fuck and basically maligning every film that is getting any award buzz, enlighten us with your superior taste in movies. This is a great film. Definitely not perfect, but what is?
  22. Lane
    Dec 18, 2008
    A perfect score as you will not believe your very own eyes. It grabs you a few minutes in and never lets go. The one guarantee is that after seeing this film no one will include India on your places to visit. If you are claustrophobic don't see this film.
  23. MarkS.
    Dec 1, 2008
    This is an incredibly entertaining film. I see a review in here putting it down because it is "Forrest Gump". That would be the "Forrest Gump" that won 6 Oscars including Best Picture. Is there an opposite to "damning with faint praise" - perhaps "exalting with faint criticism".
  24. Darwin
    Dec 21, 2008
    Creative film grabs you and doesn't let go. The acting and the the story is fantastic. Be forewarned that after you see this you will never visit India. Definitely will be up for an OSCAR as Best Picture of Year and deservingly so.
    Dec 20, 2008
    Beautiful, hearwrenching, stunning - how anyone can give this lower than an "11" is beyond me
  26. SiamakF.
    Dec 25, 2008
    This was the most entertaining and breathtaking movie of all year. It also has one of those stories that you will always remember. I hope it wins many awards come this awards season.
  27. SteveC.
    Dec 30, 2008
    Since David W pulled this below a 9 with his jaded view of what movies ought to be, I'll attempt to push it above 9 again with my 10 rating. This is one of the 2-3 best movies I've ever seen - right up there with Groundhog Day, It's a Wonderful Life and A Christmas Story. Well paced - betrayal and redemption, love and heartbreak, all set in a culture and setting unfamiliar Since David W pulled this below a 9 with his jaded view of what movies ought to be, I'll attempt to push it above 9 again with my 10 rating. This is one of the 2-3 best movies I've ever seen - right up there with Groundhog Day, It's a Wonderful Life and A Christmas Story. Well paced - betrayal and redemption, love and heartbreak, all set in a culture and setting unfamiliar and eye-opening for most of us. Expand
  28. BobB.
    Dec 5, 2008
    Masterpiece. The flavor of my favorite novel "Shantaram", great score, plot, love story & such memorable images!
  29. aaron
    Jan 12, 2009
    I went to the movies by myself because my gay brother J was afraid to go. And am I ever glad I did. The movie was great. After seeing the beautiful vision that is India I can't wait to send J on vacation there. I told him about the lush countryside with green hills and valleys to roam and how warm and wonderful all the people of India are. If you are looking for a family vacation I went to the movies by myself because my gay brother J was afraid to go. And am I ever glad I did. The movie was great. After seeing the beautiful vision that is India I can't wait to send J on vacation there. I told him about the lush countryside with green hills and valleys to roam and how warm and wonderful all the people of India are. If you are looking for a family vacation then India is the place for you. Don't miss this feel good warm and fuzzy movie. Expand
  30. johnf
    Jan 13, 2009
    Awesome. Possibly Boyle's best and thats saying something.
  31. SeanP
    Jan 23, 2009
    This is the most upifting and brilliant story told through cinema in a long time.
  32. ListonW.
    Jan 5, 2009
    You'd be hard pressed to find another movie with so much emotion, exploration of the human condition, and commentary on poverty and social conditions. Throw in some underworld gangster action and a game show and this movie somehow ties the elements together perfectly. Don't miss it.
  33. AnnD.
    Jan 5, 2009
    An emotional roller coaster.
  34. VictorM.
    Jan 9, 2009
    A celebration of filmmaking and storytelling. A joy to watch. Everyone who liked this film should still read the book 'Q & A'. It will still surprise you.
  35. PaulF.
    Feb 1, 2009
    Slumdog Millionaire is well worth seeing. It is original, thought provoking, as well as entertaining. The story walked more on the darker aspects of life than I usually like in a movie. But in this case some worth saying needed to be heard. It was really difficult seeing all those scenes of absolute poverty, violence, and criminal abuse those children had to suffer. In many ways they Slumdog Millionaire is well worth seeing. It is original, thought provoking, as well as entertaining. The story walked more on the darker aspects of life than I usually like in a movie. But in this case some worth saying needed to be heard. It was really difficult seeing all those scenes of absolute poverty, violence, and criminal abuse those children had to suffer. In many ways they mirror what has happen and in some cases still does happen to impressionable children around the world. The film helps give understand to how our environment can profoundly shape us. Jamal however throughout everything this never loses his heart, ideals and compassion. He grows to be a man committed to truth as well as living out his highest desire, which in this instance simply being with the person he loves the most. With a single focus he never seems to forget even over length time separations and a vast array of circumstances. I thought the film was spot on, harrowing almost at every corner. The end was ok but seemed to lose its punch a bit, though it had its charm as well. Make sure you stay for the credits which I found quite a surprise. Expand
  36. BarneyW.
    Feb 12, 2009
    Fantastic film which I will remember for a long time. I found that the young actors were especially believable and while it is a essentially a fairy tale that would never happen in the real world, it is one of the best damn fairy tales I have ever seen. Don't forget that, if this film was 100% realistic, it would just be depressing.
  37. SteveM.
    Feb 16, 2009
    Excellent film depiction of life in contemporary India.
  38. CassieM.
    Feb 23, 2009
    One of the best movies I have seen in a long time (and for all you idiots who say that the movie is not realistic when it comes to India and their econamic situation and people, you need to do your research) It may have been unrealistic at times, but that is no reason to hate an amazing movie. It was a really touching story and I left the theater amazed.
  39. GabrielC.
    Feb 28, 2009
    One of the bests movies i've ever seen. The actors performance are brilliant mainly the youngest actors. I love it.
  40. AliC
    Feb 28, 2009
    Excuse me, how can you let JM call this film 'the gayest crap ever'? Would you publish comments saying something is niggerish? No. So why is homophobia allowed?
  41. movieset
    Feb 4, 2009
    Great movie I can't get enough of it!! love how boyle left in the part where the 2 dudes say "no filming here" lol classic. Good soundtrack too.
  42. VincentH.
    Feb 6, 2009
    An absolutely amazing cinematic experience. Danny Boyle has been on a real run lately. His last 2 films, "Millions" and "Sunshine" are underrated gems that have dedicated followings but little critical recognition. "Slumdog Millionaire" in my opinion is probably one of the two or three best things that Boyle has ever done. The real hero of the film though is Anthony Dod Mantle. Those "in An absolutely amazing cinematic experience. Danny Boyle has been on a real run lately. His last 2 films, "Millions" and "Sunshine" are underrated gems that have dedicated followings but little critical recognition. "Slumdog Millionaire" in my opinion is probably one of the two or three best things that Boyle has ever done. The real hero of the film though is Anthony Dod Mantle. Those "in the know" know that Mantle is one of the best living cinematographers alive and the photography in this movie is a big part of what makes it great. The camerawork makes this film really come alive and Mantle should've been recognized more. By the Academy and the Golden Globes. Expand
  43. DavidH
    Feb 9, 2009
    Awesome movie, I've seen it 4 times and it's just as good each time. A little bit of everything in this film, by far the best movie of the year.
  44. MK
    Mar 1, 2009
    Saw it first day it came out, having now idea what I was getting myself into... and look at it now!
  45. kenanh
    Mar 31, 2009
    I went to go see this the day it came out and i had no idea what to expect. I went crazy and I loved this movie so much. I got goosebumps through out the movie. I usually hate feel good movies, but the thing with this movie is that it actually did make me feel really good. Best movie this year by far.
  46. AnonymousMC
    Apr 11, 2009
    How can anyone hate this movie?-oh wait a minute, I know why, they're busy watching Meet the Spartans and Disaster Movie. This is a unique film. I've never seen anything like it, and every moment I spent watching left me speechless. Beautiful movie. Best of the Year? Nah, I still say The Dark Knight is the best, but it is tide second best with The Curious Case of Benjamin Button.
  47. JohnH
    Apr 10, 2009
    No wonder why it won Best Picture. The top five best movies last year in my opinion were Slumdog Millionaire, The Dark Knight, Gran Torino, The Changeling, and Iron Man. This is a great movie that everyone should see. Great acting, musical score, special effects, and everything. A very well done film!!!!!!!!!!
  48. DanC
    Apr 18, 2009
    Fantastic movie .. I do not see how anyone can rate this lower then a 9, some people are crazy and must be really picky. This is one of the best movies I have seen, ever.
  49. maurciol
    Apr 19, 2009
    Damm this movie really took Hollywood by surprise, it deserved all the awards and was really impacting.
  50. kishand
    Apr 24, 2009
    Exciting, heartbeating drama that keeps you on the edge of your seat BRILLIANT!!!
  51. SophiaB
    Jan 24, 2010
    Soooo good! I am 12 years old and found everything easy to understand. I was close to tears when their mother died and whenthe poor boy's eyes were blinded with acid out, but I ACTUALLY cried when Salim sold Jamal's autograph from the film star! I have no idea why but i felt so sad in that scene... The other more predictible time when I cried was near the end when Salim died. Soooo good! I am 12 years old and found everything easy to understand. I was close to tears when their mother died and whenthe poor boy's eyes were blinded with acid out, but I ACTUALLY cried when Salim sold Jamal's autograph from the film star! I have no idea why but i felt so sad in that scene... The other more predictible time when I cried was near the end when Salim died. People generally don't like Salim, but I just thought he was a greed filled young boy who made a few mistakes... (apart from when he sold Jamal's autograph). Expand
  52. ThomF.
    Nov 14, 2008
    Exhilarating, and astonishing. I loved it from beginning to end. What a way to tell a story!
  53. CharlesQ.
    Nov 16, 2008
    Boyle's modern take on a classic fairy tale is an exhilarating and incredibly fulfilling experience.
  54. BrianG
    Nov 24, 2008
    There are flaws but still I can say along with WALL - E, it's my favorite film of the year. It is a FABLE, so if you expect everything in the movie to follow logic, you will be disappointed. If you like to dream or even daydream, it's terrific.
  55. ACAC
    Dec 10, 2008
    The best film I have seen in a long time. I would give it best picture at the Oscars
  56. SteveG
    Dec 1, 2008
    This is a wonderful movie. The narrative is involving and interesting. The interrogation model used to forward the story by dealing with each of the questions he answered correctly was clever. The acting is first rate. I even liked the Bollywood song and dance at the end, which is ironic because I don't much like most Bollywood style films. Other than the very end, this is not a This is a wonderful movie. The narrative is involving and interesting. The interrogation model used to forward the story by dealing with each of the questions he answered correctly was clever. The acting is first rate. I even liked the Bollywood song and dance at the end, which is ironic because I don't much like most Bollywood style films. Other than the very end, this is not a Bollywood film. It is a passionate love story, a tale of honor, dishonor and redemption. One of the best films I've seen this year, or in recent years. Wonderful. Expand
  57. TomD.
    Dec 12, 2008
    One of the better movies I've seen in the last few years; it amazes me that people can write movies like this, truly a great story that has it all - action, romance, drama, etc.
  58. JosephG.
    Dec 19, 2008
    I gave it a 10 only because I can't go any higher. Excellent movie! It's so good I saw it 2x already and don't mind seeing it again (and again!).
  59. CraigM
    Dec 21, 2008
    In response to the comment by David W-- I agree that this was not necessarily an "uplifting" movie. In fact, to even market it as a "feel good" movie is misleading. With that said, it is a GREAT movie. I give it a "10" for being an intense drama and an exciting unique mix of genres. And yes, as you mentioned, horror is one of the elements of the film.
  60. AustinB.
    Dec 21, 2008
    I can imagine audiences in every country dancing in the theatre. no matter who you are you will like this movie in some way.
  61. JackF.
    Dec 20, 2008
    I've been watching good movies for nearly 62 years. This was one of the best films I've ever seen. I didn't want to like it when it appeared to be a film excoriating the Indian caste system for its ghastly treatment of slumdwellers, but I kept being drawn in. By the time the credits rolled, I was riveted to my seat with everyone else in the theater. A brilliant cinematic I've been watching good movies for nearly 62 years. This was one of the best films I've ever seen. I didn't want to like it when it appeared to be a film excoriating the Indian caste system for its ghastly treatment of slumdwellers, but I kept being drawn in. By the time the credits rolled, I was riveted to my seat with everyone else in the theater. A brilliant cinematic achievement. If this is Bollywood, bring on more. Expand
  62. CraigR.
    Dec 23, 2008
    One of the best movies I've seen this year.
  63. ShankarS.
    Dec 25, 2008
    Stockholm, Sweden, Scandinavia This movie was mind blowing, really heart touching. The director Danny Boyle and the music producer A.R. Rahman did a amazing job in this movie. The background score was really good. A.R. Rahman is without any doubt one of the best music directors in this world. This movie will get in to my top 10!
  64. lalalandheyy
    Dec 27, 2008
    The San Francisco Chronicle, Christian Science Monitor are just too dumb to understand (not surprised). All the decent reviews gave it good.
  65. LarissaM.
    Dec 27, 2008
    This movie was beautiful. Jamal's story shows that sometimes greatness can come from true despair.
  66. JamesM
    Dec 29, 2008
    Amazing soundtrack, breathtaking photography, incredible story, and excellent acting. By far one of the best movies I have seen in a long time.
  67. PaulI.
    Dec 31, 2008
    The best movie I have ever seen!!! It was perfect! The way the story is told is better than any other movie. 2 hours of enjoyment!
  68. GerardZ.
    Jan 24, 2009
    One of the best movies of the last ten years. Some scenes are very difficult to watch.
  69. mehulshah
    Jan 25, 2009
    coming 4m mumbai i see this everyday.. n it still shocked me .. brutally real , heartwrenching . " SCARY"... .. aggrieved national sentiment ( cz d real india is much much more than slums . n despair ).... bt it delivers hope , triumph of love albeit in a typically melodramatic bollywood way .... it still managed to make me stand up and applaud... p.s: rahman with his score is awesome
  70. Martin
    Jan 31, 2009
    This is film at its best - challenging, funny, romantic and uplifting all at once. And most importantly, it is so enjoyable that the time spent going to see at the cinema is worthwhile.
  71. TaylorC
    Feb 28, 2009
    Slumdog Millionaire is an absolute masterpiece. Everything about the film is amazing. The direction is amazing, the acting is amazing, the writing is amazing, the cinematography is amazing, and the score and music are amazing as well. This is the kind of movie that everyone can appreciate. It has themes of dramas, comedies, musicals, and especially romance. It might seem like everyone is Slumdog Millionaire is an absolute masterpiece. Everything about the film is amazing. The direction is amazing, the acting is amazing, the writing is amazing, the cinematography is amazing, and the score and music are amazing as well. This is the kind of movie that everyone can appreciate. It has themes of dramas, comedies, musicals, and especially romance. It might seem like everyone is overrating this movie, but oh no that is wrong. In my opinion, this movie is underrated. Slumdog Millionaire is definite must-see and is one of the greatest movies I have ever seen, if not the greatest. Expand
  72. GeorgeM
    Nov 12, 2008
    A real crowd pleaser with bigger issues on its mind. It is a gritty fairy tale or, if you prefer, a shaggy dog story that owes a lot to Dickens. Sure, it is filled with stereotypes but the take on them is so fresh you won't mind a bit. You won't have a better time at the movies this year.
  73. RogerC.
    Nov 18, 2008
    This is the thinking-man's feel-good movie.
  74. DanB.
    Nov 23, 2008
    Quite possibly the best film of the decade - surely of the year. It's a winner in every sense of the word!
  75. ErcL.
    Nov 25, 2008
    The best movie experience all year. Easily rates a 10. Danny Boyle does his best work to date especially interweaving flashback sequences with events going on in the present tense. Definite Oscar consideration for Best Picture. Finally, Luis your "0" vote does not count because I can tell you haven't seen the movie at all including all the other small Arthouse movies listed on your The best movie experience all year. Easily rates a 10. Danny Boyle does his best work to date especially interweaving flashback sequences with events going on in the present tense. Definite Oscar consideration for Best Picture. Finally, Luis your "0" vote does not count because I can tell you haven't seen the movie at all including all the other small Arthouse movies listed on your hate list. Expand
  76. MichaelA
    Nov 25, 2008
    A Masterpiece. Highly original. Don't listen to anybody else. Go see it for yourself. The best film of 2008. Really. I mean, what else is there? The Dutchess? Happy Go Lucky?
  77. EricL
    Nov 26, 2008
    One of the most entertaining movies I have seen in a long time. Easily a top 10 for 2008 and will definitely garner awards at years end. Danny Boyle finally gets his due.
  78. EricS
    Nov 28, 2008
    One of the best films of the year, along with "WALLY" and "Dark Knight." Like the others, "Slumdog Millionaire is as deep as it is entertaining. It also has the distinction of being one of the few great films in recent years that is genuinely uplifting; Boyle seems to have a thing for disturbing beginnings and tragic middles followed by surprisingly happy endings. This approach is risky inOne of the best films of the year, along with "WALLY" and "Dark Knight." Like the others, "Slumdog Millionaire is as deep as it is entertaining. It also has the distinction of being one of the few great films in recent years that is genuinely uplifting; Boyle seems to have a thing for disturbing beginnings and tragic middles followed by surprisingly happy endings. This approach is risky in that it opens up a film to accusations of implausibility and/or crowd pleasing. However, "Millionaire" succeeds where "Trainspotting" (another great, albeit flawed film in his impressive portfolio) fails in that the ending is, or rather, feels plausible, even if a closer inspection reveals an inherent lack of plausibility. However, a typically tragic ending would run counter to "Millionaire's" main point. Although the film paints a vivid picture of India with thoughtful commentary on the caste system, local religious conflict and Western society's complete lack of understanding of other cultures, at its core "Slumdog Millionaire" is concerned with the timeless themes of choice and conscience. It is plausible because it acknowledges the reality that most individuals will choose to act in their self-interest the majority of the time. On rare occasions, however, mankind's better instincts will prevail (see the film and you will know specifically what I am referring to.) Expand
  79. GrantC.
    Nov 29, 2008
    I'm not an easy critic. You could ask anyone I know But once in a while I see a movie so gorgeous and amazing, it deserves nothing less than a perfect score. So far this year, there have been three years to obtain perfection in my eyes: Slumdog Millionaire, The Dark Knight, and WALL-E. The story is utter beauty; dramati, unique, and occasionally funny. I's a classic story that I'm not an easy critic. You could ask anyone I know But once in a while I see a movie so gorgeous and amazing, it deserves nothing less than a perfect score. So far this year, there have been three years to obtain perfection in my eyes: Slumdog Millionaire, The Dark Knight, and WALL-E. The story is utter beauty; dramati, unique, and occasionally funny. I's a classic story that will be watched over and over again for decades. Although tied with The Dark Knight for my favorite movie of the year, I can say that it is without a doubt, the frontrunner for Best Picture at these Academy Awards. Bravo to Dany Boyle for creating this masterpiece. Expand
  80. PuchThe
    Nov 29, 2008
    Why is it that all the reviewers seem to be male? I have recommended this movie to 3 female friends of mine, who all saw it, and they thought it was "sweet & well done" but maybe a 7 or 8 stars out of 10. However, each one of my male friends thought it was one f the best movies this year. The last movie I saw in the realm of Slumdog was "Roberto Benigni's Life is Beautiful". I have a Why is it that all the reviewers seem to be male? I have recommended this movie to 3 female friends of mine, who all saw it, and they thought it was "sweet & well done" but maybe a 7 or 8 stars out of 10. However, each one of my male friends thought it was one f the best movies this year. The last movie I saw in the realm of Slumdog was "Roberto Benigni's Life is Beautiful". I have a love for Bollywood film and music, but this is not a Bollywood film. This does have some similarities in the appearance(Film Grain), humor, music, and closing credits. NOTE: 1st 3rd of this film is in Hindi with subtitles. The best subtitling I've ever seen. Very fluid! Expand
  81. SelmaS.
    Nov 29, 2008
    An amazing film, true to the circumstances that millions grow up in and the wishes and dreams that sustain them. Incredible music and incredible cinemtography. Truly beautiful.
  82. BruceD.
    Dec 13, 2008
    I am speechless.
  83. TomP.
    Dec 14, 2008
    Superb!
  84. DavidZlotnick
    Dec 15, 2008
    A wonderful movie that is also wonderfully entertaining. Highly recommended to all.
  85. BillyS.
    Dec 19, 2008
    28 Days Later was a 10, Millions was a 10.5, Sunshine was an 11 and now Slumdog Millionaire, a perfect 12! Danny Boyle is the new Kubrick, without the 10 year intervals between masterpieces. I am awestruck by the brilliance of this mans work!
  86. ChrisJ.
    Dec 22, 2008
    This is a very good movie, but was much more troubling content than I expected from the trailer. I think that the way the film contrasts the slums in India with the westernized upper middle class India is interesting. The film builds to a pretty good conclusion. But you will like it more if you do go in understanding that the movie shows many harsh realities.
  87. CH.
    Dec 27, 2008
    Rich character development; love story always welcomed; intelligent dialogue; story never slows down; fresh story line;
  88. John
    Dec 18, 2009
    Danny Boyle successfully combines a variety of different genres to make a truly spectacular movie. Managing to mix in drama, romance, comedy, and a very tense plot is a hard task, but this movie accomplished the feat. The acting for everyone is superb( especially for the kid actors). They put you "inside" the slum giving off the feeling of fear from their cries. I would highly recommend Danny Boyle successfully combines a variety of different genres to make a truly spectacular movie. Managing to mix in drama, romance, comedy, and a very tense plot is a hard task, but this movie accomplished the feat. The acting for everyone is superb( especially for the kid actors). They put you "inside" the slum giving off the feeling of fear from their cries. I would highly recommend this modern classic. Expand
  89. Aug 25, 2011
    There's a kinetic genius woven into the brightly colored fabric of Slumdog Millionaire, which is only something a director as wildly exuberant as Danny Boyle could accomplish. In what is a basic story, seen many times before, Boyle takes away from its roots of epic and bombast, and modernizes it into a wild, exotic adventure. It's something that can be funny (which the movie is). It'sThere's a kinetic genius woven into the brightly colored fabric of Slumdog Millionaire, which is only something a director as wildly exuberant as Danny Boyle could accomplish. In what is a basic story, seen many times before, Boyle takes away from its roots of epic and bombast, and modernizes it into a wild, exotic adventure. It's something that can be funny (which the movie is). It's something that can be horrifying (which the movie is). It's something that can be romantic (which the movie is). It's Danny Boyle's take on a trip to somewhere else, and we're lucky enough to go with him Expand
  90. Dec 11, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Beautiful and emotionally satisfying. There is no other way to describe "Slumdog Millionaire". I know a lot of films have already showed poverty and violence before and the ending is quite predictable, but what matters here is not how it ends but what it takes to make us cheer so much for Jamal. Expand
  91. Jul 27, 2013
    The rags to riches tale that Slumdog Millionaire tells is a world away from anything we have ever seen, it combines a near fearless child who has the darkest and most heartbreaking of stories, constantly fighting a battle right into his teens. The film is told in a non-linear fashion and in a very unorthodox way, how various words or motions can spark memories, and in this case, ourThe rags to riches tale that Slumdog Millionaire tells is a world away from anything we have ever seen, it combines a near fearless child who has the darkest and most heartbreaking of stories, constantly fighting a battle right into his teens. The film is told in a non-linear fashion and in a very unorthodox way, how various words or motions can spark memories, and in this case, our struggling child, now a teen Jamal (Dev Patel) is sitting on the Indian version of Who Wants to Be a Millionaire, and how he came to know the answers surrounding his culture.
    The film is told in flashbacks in Jamal's disturbing childhood, and the ongoing slum that are very real and very poverty-stricken places in the current age. Jamal, his brother Salim and their new friend Latika, played as a young adult later in the film by Frieda Pinto, who Jamal spends most of the film trying to find after unfortunate events separate them. As children, the film explores the bond between brothers, even in the most dastardly circumstances, starving and begging, Jamal and Salim must make it on their own.
    Slumdog certainly tells a tragic and heartbreaking tale, but it also brings a sense of exhilaration and an uplifting sense of purpose, its easy to immediately care for the characters, whether they are trying to stay alive or being thieves, its a realisation of the live they have lead, and how they will use any means necessary to get by.
    The character performances, wonderful fast-paced editing and upbeat soundtrack really make the film shine, from the child actors to the adults, who we travel with as they grow up and become who they are. It is really about perseverance and survival, we see these kids who think the way we do, they worship celebrities, have over-bearing mothers and begin to think about money, they perhaps don't realise the life they have, and don't know any other way.
    With all the seriousness of the film, there is plenty of humour throughout the film, perhaps to lighten the heart, but also the personification the western civilisation may put on this culture, like call centres for example. The film addresses the culture in its fullest, its high and low points, but arguably most of all its lows, director Danny Boyle has created an astonishing surprise that touches the heart in a pounding fashion, with excellent performances and a realisation of the life away from your own.
  92. Dec 20, 2011
    One of the most hated movies by film lovers. But I won't jump the band wagon by giving it a low score because the score I give it is the score that it deserves. This is an excellent made film about love and money. This film is about an Indian that has been poor his whole life and gets a change at the game Who Wants to be a Millionaire. He gets thrown in jail for the conspiracy of cheatingOne of the most hated movies by film lovers. But I won't jump the band wagon by giving it a low score because the score I give it is the score that it deserves. This is an excellent made film about love and money. This film is about an Indian that has been poor his whole life and gets a change at the game Who Wants to be a Millionaire. He gets thrown in jail for the conspiracy of cheating for getting all the questions right. There is a special way he knew all the answers. If you don't know what I am talking about then you have to watch this. Dev Patel was the perfect actor for the role because he has the appearance and personality of an underdog. This film was very inspirational and gives a feel of hope to everyone that watches it. My favorite part was at the end when Jamal has to call someone for the answer to the last question that can win it all. Knowing for sure that his brother, the man who he called knows the answer. But his brother isn't the person that picks up. Expand
  93. Feb 1, 2012
    This movie is ingenious, gripping, at times dramatic and at times quite humorous. It is well framed and original. Although, the way that things unfold is quite fictional and it is not always believable, it is a movie that most types of audiences will enjoy. It is definitely not a masterpiece, yet the performances and direction are remarkable and won't disappointed. It is not art house butThis movie is ingenious, gripping, at times dramatic and at times quite humorous. It is well framed and original. Although, the way that things unfold is quite fictional and it is not always believable, it is a movie that most types of audiences will enjoy. It is definitely not a masterpiece, yet the performances and direction are remarkable and won't disappointed. It is not art house but it is not what I would call a typical blockbuster...it is just a movie that discloses a reality that for most of us Westerners is unknown. As I have travelled (as a tourist) through many places in India, this movie has brought to my memory my own experiences up there. It has also reminded me not only of the beauty of that country but also of its misery; in spite of it, Indian people stays optimistic and proud of its roots. This film succeeds in exploring India's reality. It shows a country in which the difference between deprived and privileged classes is abysmal...but where the hope is not lost...Overall, is not an outstanding movie but it is indeed unforgettable... Expand
  94. Mar 31, 2012
    This is an amazing film that tells one of the most powerful and uplifting good feeling messages of all time. It is so different than typical Hollywood films and was a complete delight to see it get recognized by everybody. A must see!
  95. Jun 3, 2012
    One Of The BEST MOVIES OF ALL TIME!
    Simply Amazing 100% Enjoyed..
  96. Aug 5, 2014
    I was in India and I could see a lot things that the movie shows, The screenplay is amazing, it describes the naked truth in a slums of India within a love story.
  97. Nov 11, 2012
    This review contains spoilers. This is an interesting thriller with a super exciting story of how an Indian boy survives through many perils and then ends up winning who wants to be a millionaire because of brief moments from his childhood. It was sad,disturbing,and every else you want to see in a good movie.
    A+
  98. Jan 10, 2013
    This movie is about generally 92%! The emotional scenes are excellent and basically the first movie to use a incredible game show the "Who wants to be a millionaire" and turns it into a lively show of colors and drama. Defenetly worth the money!
  99. Mar 8, 2013
    Stunning, Amazing, Brilliant, Full of love, intelligent. These are the few words that describe Slumdog Millionare and there are millions more. Dev Patel puts in an amazing performance, Danny Boyle directs a brilliant movie, Slumdog Millionare is a triumph
  100. Feb 23, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Best movie ever! this is the classic version of the newer film "Life of Pi" and is just as emotional, somewhat more exciting and one of my personal favourite movies! Expand

1. Reviewed by: Scott Mendelson
    Absolutely perfect family entertainment for anyone over the age of ten. It is a celebration of not just the usual triumph of the human spirit, but a celebration of the human experience.
    The result is magical and life affirming, and will enrapture those who are not scared away by the mention of "subtitles."
  3. Reviewed by: Peter Brunette
    What's perhaps most fascinating about the film is Boyle's relentless focus on the realities of present-day India as a vehicle for his spectacle and laughs.