7.8

1. Janet
    Dec 22, 2008
    I just read David W's review. He must be a young man and doesn't get it. India really treats its citizen's this awful. The country is overcrowded, corrupt and only the strong survive. If you are from the slums as the lead characters were you have only a 20% chance of surviving. If the people don't kill you the disease and poverty surely will. Yes, the premise of the I just read David W's review. He must be a young man and doesn't get it. India really treats its citizen's this awful. The country is overcrowded, corrupt and only the strong survive. If you are from the slums as the lead characters were you have only a 20% chance of surviving. If the people don't kill you the disease and poverty surely will. Yes, the premise of the movie "Who wants to Be a Millionaire" isn't a true story but the lifestyle hits the nail on the head. I guess David still lives in a comic book fantasy world. Without question one of the best movies in many a year and should sweep the OSCARS for Best Picture, Best Directing and Best Screenplay. Expand
  2. May 9, 2011
    A liberating and uplifting movie and the feel-good film of the decade, Danny Boyle delivers the Oscar Winning Slumdog Millionaire. And it's easy to tell why the film has won numerous awards. The film focuses upon Jamil Malik (Dev Patel) an 18 year old orphan from the slums of Mumbai and a constant on the Indian version of Who Wants To Be A Millionaire, who is one question away from winningA liberating and uplifting movie and the feel-good film of the decade, Danny Boyle delivers the Oscar Winning Slumdog Millionaire. And it's easy to tell why the film has won numerous awards. The film focuses upon Jamil Malik (Dev Patel) an 18 year old orphan from the slums of Mumbai and a constant on the Indian version of Who Wants To Be A Millionaire, who is one question away from winning 20 million rupees. However he arrested in suspision of cheating. During his interrogation Jamil reveals his incredible and heartwrenching story of his life as a young boy growing up on the streets of Mumbai with his brother Salim, and how he loved and lost the girl of his dreams Latika (Freida Pinto), each question links to a memoir of Jamil's exhilarating life. Superbly well directed in the ever capable and inspring hands of Danny Boyle who delivers a beautiful film from start to finish and one that will live long in the memory, utterly unmissable! Expand
  3. Jan 12, 2012
    Slumdog millionaire does suffer from some silly dialogue, but the film is beautifully filmed, mighty, wondrous, romantic and just fantastically acted. It deserves its Oscar. I give this film 87%.
  4. TimS.
    Dec 6, 2008
    The best movie I have seen in quite some time. It has everything and sucks you in and keeps you riveted for the full 2 hours - And Bollywood at it's finest in the closing credits to boot! Hello Best Picture!
  5. HollyC
    Jan 4, 2009
    Very good film---loved the beginning more than the end as I thought the young actors/early slumdog scenes were almost perfect--absolutely captivating. The story seemed to unfold predictably and edged on cheesy towards the end, but it still moved me so I guess that says something. Yes, it's very contrived in many parts, but really, it's a solid film worthy of theater prices Very good film---loved the beginning more than the end as I thought the young actors/early slumdog scenes were almost perfect--absolutely captivating. The story seemed to unfold predictably and edged on cheesy towards the end, but it still moved me so I guess that says something. Yes, it's very contrived in many parts, but really, it's a solid film worthy of theater prices and/or rental. Expand
  6. DanaM.
    Jan 5, 2009
    Superb. Some squemish scenes and uncomfortable moments, but one of the best movies I've had the pleasure of experiencing. The acting by the children was remarkable. Go see it!
  7. MicheleC.
    Feb 7, 2009
    The film editing was amazing. I started to leave the theater twice because the sound was way too loud (I have a hyper-sensitive sense of hearing), but the exciting pace of the movie pulled me back to my seat. I inserted some ear plugs I had in my purse, relaxed, and enjoyed the rest of the film.
  8. AaronR
    May 31, 2009
    I rarely watch independent films. When Persepolis was released, I had no desire to go and see it. After hearing about all the Oscars that Slumdog won, I figured I'd order it on demand. I have never been so happy to spend $5 and 2 hours for a movie. Not only did it hide its low-budget production extremely well, but it said to the major Hollywood producers, "Get off you're lazy I rarely watch independent films. When Persepolis was released, I had no desire to go and see it. After hearing about all the Oscars that Slumdog won, I figured I'd order it on demand. I have never been so happy to spend $5 and 2 hours for a movie. Not only did it hide its low-budget production extremely well, but it said to the major Hollywood producers, "Get off you're lazy asses and make a good movie! We made one without all the high-tech equipment, why can't you do the same?!" I would have given this movie a 10 but I felt that the love story was unoriginal, which is not a bad thing; I just would have liked it even more had it been 100% original. Due yourself a favor and watch this movie. It definitely lives up to the hype. Expand
  9. ChrisS
    May 4, 2009
    If you are one of those people that has problems with plausibilility, you might have problems with this movie as I did. Was it gritty realism or an idealistic romance?
  10. erin
    Jun 17, 2009
    This was one of my favorite movies of all time. It showed you just how violent and poverty-stricken the slums of India are, it showed you the fierce hatred between Hindus and Muslims, it even showed you the lives of children living in India. Apart from nerve-tingling violence (a boy getting his eyes cut out, a girl getting a knife slashed across her face, a young boy killing a man with a This was one of my favorite movies of all time. It showed you just how violent and poverty-stricken the slums of India are, it showed you the fierce hatred between Hindus and Muslims, it even showed you the lives of children living in India. Apart from nerve-tingling violence (a boy getting his eyes cut out, a girl getting a knife slashed across her face, a young boy killing a man with a revolver, a young boy getting beaten harshly by a guard, people setting a man on fire, a boy getting electrocuted) there was a very strong and great message to this movie. There was also slight sexual refrences, but they were very mild (a boy leading a girl into a room, girls dancing scandaly, boys walking through an alley of prostitutes, but not giving them money, although they walk in on a couple but it does not show anything). I thought the acting in it was spectacular. The children playing young Jamal, Salim, and Latika were outstanding, convincing you they truly lived in the slums of India, as well as the older versions convincing you their lives had slowly panned out and changed them into very different people by a sequence of events. There was slight cussing as well (the b-word, d-word, and s-word said only a couple times). But the themes of the movie, you could not help but feel heartbroken at how the children were living in such a poor, violent situation. Being beaten for hardly no reason, having to search through trash heaps, live in such a polluted area...it was incredibly heart-wrenching. There are a few disturbing events, such as a boy jumping into a waste mound, a boy getting his eyes scooped out with acid, a girl dressed up as a hindu god with several disgusting piercings, a boy getting hot chili peppers stuck down his pants, and many others. But apart from the violence and slight sexual references this movie taught me how truly lucky I am to live in such a free country, where people can't take me away to try to force me into gangs to shoot people, or to work as a prostitute. It also showed that just from your experiences, even if you are a "slumdog" from India, if you have traveled places or learned things from your experiences, you can know just as much as a rich gameshow host. :) Expand
  11. TheoP
    Dec 1, 2008
    Great movie! The beginning is definitely better than the end, mostly because of the younger actors doing an incredible job. The ending is a bit cheesy, but overall very enjoyable movie.
  12. fantasy
    Dec 17, 2008
    As riveting a movie as you will ever find. Keeps your attention for the full 2 hours. Reminds me of Pvt Ryan in that once you see it you will never forget it. Kudos for such a wonderful suspenseful movie. Masterpiece worthy of all the accolades.
  13. SusanF.
    Jan 1, 2009
    Superb! Real. Authentic. Hopeful. Masterful filmmaking. It is a unique twist on an old story, done so well and so differently. Best movie I have seen in many years!
  14. AndrewS
    Jan 20, 2009
    Great movie for everyone over 15, especially for Americans who need to be reminded about how good we have it. This movie is about a street kid named Jamal (Dev Patel) who wins on the
  15. MattA
    Jan 2, 2009
    A beautiful story that has heart, and magic. It has just enough realism to keep the suspension of disbelief, but it never loses its fairytale love story, and reaches toward the idea of fate and destiny.
  16. JanetL.
    Jan 31, 2009
    I long to pay homage to Danny Boyle, S. Beaufoy, the great cast, and AR Rahman. This film gives viewers everything they go to the movies for in an explosive yet measured stream of laughs, horrors, griefs, suspense, and wonder.
  17. GregM
    Jan 8, 2009
    All movies stand on scaffolding that is artifice. The best movies (and this is one) make us either forget about the scaffolding, or not care one iota that it exists. This is the case of the latter. We know full well the improbability, even the impossibility, of the events here, but are so swept away by this film, its actors, its premise, that scaffolding be damned. I do like it better All movies stand on scaffolding that is artifice. The best movies (and this is one) make us either forget about the scaffolding, or not care one iota that it exists. This is the case of the latter. We know full well the improbability, even the impossibility, of the events here, but are so swept away by this film, its actors, its premise, that scaffolding be damned. I do like it better than anything else I've seen this year. Terrific movie. And Boyle is one hell of a director. Expand
  18. BryanS.
    Jan 8, 2009
    fantastic movie. great cinematography, entrancing (if a bit corny) storyline, great acting. I loved it. I'd probably give it an 8.7 or an 8.8 but 9 is closest.
  19. J.D.H.L.
    Feb 12, 2009
    The best movie made about the society of the India I've ever seen. There is no doubt about it...
  20. Canon
    Feb 20, 2009
    amazing movie i founded spectacular indeed in terms of the storyline and where it takes place, the slums of india. The love story just captured me.
  21. DougN.
    Feb 8, 2009
    Really enjoyed it. Found the music to be a little hard to appreciate at times. Never the less I'll not forget this one soon.
  22. DanL.
    Mar 12, 2009
    Slumdog Millioniare is clean production, reminiscent of a music video. This turns out to be its greatest flaw. Full of shine and glitz, in the end Slumdog Millionare feels, for some reason, as if it has no soul. Fun fluff. That's all.
  23. PhilD
    Mar 30, 2009
    What people need to understand... what if you only knew 10 things... ever? Only 10 things -- because you grew up in the slums. And by some kind of luck, those 10 things happen to be the exact 10 things needed to change your life! And what if each of those 10 things had a harrowing story to go a long with each answer ? That's what this movie is all about. It's about destiny.
  24. SHOURITE
    Mar 5, 2009
    The most accurate review here is by "C D" & not because he/she is from Mumbai but because of the plot and acting holes in the film that he/she identifies. Slumdog is entertaining and stylistically shot but does not come close to crossing the threshold of a truly great film that deserves a 9 or 10 rating.
  25. MichelleS
    Apr 1, 2009
    Oscars aside, I heard so many good things about this movie from friends, I just had to see it. Honestly I was uninterested, had no desire to see this movie and figured I would hate it. But I really started to get into it and in the end thought it was a great movie. The flashbacks made it a little confusing at times, but it was necessary for the storyline. I found this to be an intriguing Oscars aside, I heard so many good things about this movie from friends, I just had to see it. Honestly I was uninterested, had no desire to see this movie and figured I would hate it. But I really started to get into it and in the end thought it was a great movie. The flashbacks made it a little confusing at times, but it was necessary for the storyline. I found this to be an intriguing love story, along with a success story proving that no matter where we come from or how bad our life has been, there is always hope for a great outcome. And that even if you come from the "slums" you do not have to fit a certain stereotype as Jamal's brother did. I think it's worth watching, even if you're skeptical. The only reason I gave it an 8 is because it was a bit slow to get into the meat of the story and in the beginning it was a bit choppy. Expand
  26. EthanA
    Apr 11, 2009
    A beautiful and breathtaking look at a once-in-a-lifetime chance story of a teenager "slumdog" who just happens to be nearing the final question of Who Wants To Be A Millionaire. How did he do it? The acting was AMAZING. Dev and Freida deserved the recognition they got, but what really stood out, were the amazing child actors! Especially the young trio (Jamal, Salim, and Latika) See it A beautiful and breathtaking look at a once-in-a-lifetime chance story of a teenager "slumdog" who just happens to be nearing the final question of Who Wants To Be A Millionaire. How did he do it? The acting was AMAZING. Dev and Freida deserved the recognition they got, but what really stood out, were the amazing child actors! Especially the young trio (Jamal, Salim, and Latika) See it twice or however many times it takes to recognize this as the best film of 08! Expand
  27. SteveK
    Apr 4, 2009
    Probably one of the greatest movies I have ever seen. Words cannot express the amount of emotion packed into this amazing film.
  28. RB
    Apr 6, 2009
    Excellent movie. The story is what makes it so great. Just the ending I found a bit corny, but other than that this movie is one of the best I have ever seen!
  29. LiefS
    May 20, 2009
    Ok after hearing enough about; I finally checked it out and discovered that it is definitely over hyped but not as bad as some critics are claiming. It was different; which is more than I can say about most of the movies that have been coming out. That is why the wrestler and itself got so many nominations or won something. As for the movie there were definitely some corny/ dry scenes but Ok after hearing enough about; I finally checked it out and discovered that it is definitely over hyped but not as bad as some critics are claiming. It was different; which is more than I can say about most of the movies that have been coming out. That is why the wrestler and itself got so many nominations or won something. As for the movie there were definitely some corny/ dry scenes but not enough to have pushed this movie score below a 5; so if you fell asleep watching, its not the movie; its your narcolepsy. Anybody giving it a 10 needs to realize that there r a few numbers between 0-10; because you enjoyed it doesn't make it a perfect movie. Expand
  30. caporegime
    Jun 10, 2009
    Danny Boyle turned a simple plot into a superb movie. Not every director has that kind of talent. Not every plot turns into a well done movie. One of the best movies this year.

1. Reviewed by: Scott Mendelson
    Absolutely perfect family entertainment for anyone over the age of ten. It is a celebration of not just the usual triumph of the human spirit, but a celebration of the human experience.
    The result is magical and life affirming, and will enrapture those who are not scared away by the mention of "subtitles."
  3. Reviewed by: Peter Brunette
    What's perhaps most fascinating about the film is Boyle's relentless focus on the realities of present-day India as a vehicle for his spectacle and laughs.