3.2

1. Oct 12, 2012
    I´m a horror movies fan, but this is too much for me... Everything is so terrible.. history, characters, everything... Dont lose your time... or even worse, your money....
  2. Oct 18, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Was tempted to watch this by the creepy looking seen mascot in all the previews...That was my first mistake. The second mistake was sitting through it and hoping it would actually rise to a C class movie. That's right this movie had horrible acting, a boring plot and I constantly want everyone of the actors to die and "Spoiler Alert" no one dies accept 2 people at the end. The movie constantly kept reminding us that the actors were supposed to be great computer geniuses and hackers by winging terminology out of the index of computers 101 textbook, but all they did was go a generic chat roulette. Makes me think my little cousin could be a hacker if randomly talking to strangers is all it takes. The classroom scenes were the best part of the film, but I feel the professor was wasted on this film. I would not recommend this film to anyone. Watch Scream, Hackers(if you want a che-ezy hacker movie) or you-tube if you want to see a bunch of weird ideas. Avoid this and do not even mention it to friends in case they get curious like I was if its as bad as it sounds.... Expand
  3. Dec 29, 2012
    I honestly should of looked at the reviews of this movie before watching it myself. If I knew it had a 20 metascore, I would of skipped this movie all together. Even though I thought the beginning was fine, the movie just went completely downhill from there. Skip this movie.
  4. Dec 20, 2012
    I don't get why they are so many bad reviews i loved this film and the twist as the end was so unexpected I could have never guessed it, I mean like I've never seen a horror film end like this and it was such an awesome movie :DDDD
  5. Oct 14, 2012
    so they made a horror film with famous internet actors in it. Piece of **** **** with **** on a dick i cant believe that **** director ITS NOT **** SCARY!!!ITS JUST DRAMA LIKE A **** AND THE MONSTER IS ONLY SCARY IF HE GOES OUT OF NOWHERE THAT ALMOST NEVER HAPPENED!!!AND THE STORY MAKES NO **** ****TTY ASS SENSE!!!!
  6. Oct 26, 2012
    Probably the worst movie I've ever seen. There is not on redeeming point in it.
    Characters are two dimensional and the story itself is like a really bad creepy pasta.
    Don't waste your money for that garbage and get a burger or something.
  7. Oct 30, 2012
    Why wasn't this movie disapproved somewhere along the way of it coming out. There should be some movie critics that don't allow a movie to come out if it is this bad ...
  8. Oct 21, 2012
    It was obvious that this movie wasn't going to be very good, But i thought that it might be enjoyable for people who actually follow some of these actors on Youtube. But no, This is just downright terrible.
  9. Oct 21, 2012
    An almost entirely inept attempt at superimposing fear on an image of innocence, security, and friendliness. Aside from a couple performances... completely awful.
  10. Oct 13, 2012
    Don't waste your time. Its generic, bland, and boring. Horrible acting, characters and story. Directed by a stupid monkey. Its bad. Im serious. REALLY BAD.
  11. Nov 6, 2012
    Quite possibly the worst thing I ever sat through. Luckily I didn't have to pay to see it. The acting was awful, the story was awful, the forcing of internet culture was brutal, and incredibly incorrect. It seems that the one thing this movie was based around, the writer didn't even bother to do his homework on. If you really want to watch it, go for it, just do it online where you can see it for free. The studio that made this doesn't deserve a cent, they should be ashamed. Collapse
  12. Nov 9, 2012
    I must say, I was HIGHLY disappointed in this film. I am an avid YouTuber, and I was rather excited when I heard this was coming out, so I decided to check this out. I met with dismay... This movie was poorly done, The story was flat, the characters were two-dimensional, and the tone was just plain mellow. Our villain (Smiley) was flat out boring and I felt like I couldn't look at him in any way that made him scary. Overall, it's barely a moody, dull 4. Expand
  13. Jun 1, 2013
    Seriously, I never thought Tobuscus would be in a film, neither Shane Dawson. But they were! I wasnt just appealed to this, but the kills were cool, though I had no approval for the intense ending and psychological killer. A killer that wakes up from a devilish site? Cheesy, but I still thought the movie was good to reach up to 7.
  14. Jan 4, 2013
    Don't blame the actors, blame the director. I actually really like this movie, that's my opinion. I liked the story to it, and the actors & actresses..
  15. Feb 26, 2013
    It's okay at the beginning but like others I lost interest pretty fast.
    Shane Dawson did really well outside of his normal Youtube comfort zone though.
  16. Feb 25, 2013
    I don't understand what people expect from a budget horror film. Despite the lack of subtitles, million dollars worth of tech and marvelous set pieces, this entertaining, often funny flick offers what few "slasher" films get right these days. There are enough jump spots, the characters are all charming and often hilarious in their own way and the main bad guy is the epitome of awesome for any net nerds or even gamers. The twist at the end is also brilliant, and not just for a budget flick. Redbox this one, it's a dollar fifty and definitely worth the watch! Expand
  17. May 6, 2013
    Anyone who didn't give this movie a 0 is wrong. The movie is so unoriginal it HURTS. This movie is FILLED with unfunny memes. In fact, the phrase that causes the killer is "i did it for the lulz" 3 times. The ending is probably one of the most surprising plot twists I've ever seen in a movie. I couldn't have possibly guessed it. But that really doesn't matter when it doesn't make any sense at all. I don't want to spoil the ending, but I can say it's bad and has tons of plotholes. The acting is... decent. All of the actors were OK. Some were better than others. Overall, this movie is terrible. If you're one of those people who likes to watch terrible movies, this is definitely for you. Expand
  18. Feb 15, 2014
    Smiley was terrible. Almost terrible on every aspect. This unintended "Scream" rip off was so shockingly bad, that I get myself so worked up on the fact that people actually released this horror abomination.
  19. Mar 9, 2014
    This film could have been so much better than its end result.
    The opening scene i thought was well done, with jumpy moments, a generally terrifying looking killer and an OK premises in story, but the film goes down hill from there.
    It cant decide whether it wants to be a campy slasher film or a smart, thought provoking horror movie so it attempts to do both and unfortunately doesn't
    succeed. Because of this the jumps soon disappear and we're left with "twists" that are dumb, not needed and end up making zero sense.
    I didn't find the acting "that" bad and while i'm a fan of the youtube personality's this film includes, i did think that some could be labeled as over acting.
  20. Oct 14, 2014
    You can basically guess the twist at the end half way into the movie. But the twist doesn't even work with a few plot holes they left in. And the whole ultimate plan had so many things left to chance that it shouldn't of even worked in the first place. The movie is just aggravating.

Also the whole movie is trying to be edgy and using the internet sub culture and being pretentious as
    hell. This movie is just bad.

The one plus to Smiley is that Caitlin Gerard is cute.
  21. Mar 28, 2014
    Smiley is the best movie for anyone to see that is a horror movie fan, very realistic this movie is so different than other horror movies that anyone can see. It is such a spine chilling suspense, Want to find the best horror movie Smiley is my recommendation to watch this movie will make you want to watch it again and again.
  22. Sep 12, 2014
    This is one of the worst movies ever. First off, it was made by immature youtubers who don't know anything about making a good plot. Secondly, it was boring,generic,and not even close to scary

1. Reviewed by: Mark Olsen
    Jan 28, 2013
    A surprisingly effective low-budget horror film that takes as its true villain the casual cynicism and nihilistic misanthropy that so often go along with online culture.
  2. Reviewed by: Frank Scheck
    Oct 12, 2012
    Smiley, is unfortunately less scary than, say, the prospect of your significant other accidentally discovering your search engine history.
  3. Reviewed by: Jeannette Catsoulis
    Oct 12, 2012
    Failing to expand on the intriguing notion that evil can find physical form online, Smiley, like its sutured monster, is sadly more to be pitied than feared.