Snow White and the Huntsman

6.2

1. Jun 28, 2016
    Not a great film, as it clearly was a way to make a Narnia film without paying the royalties. Though there are some great action sequences, the most laughable part of the script is the mirror telling Charlize Theron that Kristen Stewart is 'fairer' than she is.
  2. Apr 4, 2016
    Entertainment can be a tricky thing when it comes to adapting a story into its more true form, and this also goes to taking away some whimsy from the story that is being adapted.

That's what you get from 'Snow White and the Huntsman', directed by Rupert Sanders, while it is a more dark, if not, accurate take on the story of Snow White, it's almost as if he took all life and excitement out of the movie. The movie stars Charlize Theron as Ravenna who was crowned Queen after marrying the father of Snow White. She kills him, and locks Snow White away as a prisoner since her childhood.

Kristen Stewart ('Twilight') plays the role as the title character. I have to admit, I found her to be as bland here as many would say she would be in any movie. I couldn't help but think, what was wrong with someone like Rooney Mara from 'The Social Network' (2010) and the remake of 'The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo' (2011)? She seems to shine better than Stewart in the many roles she plays. Although, I am not sure if it is Stewart's cardboard acting, or maybe the very weak script written by Hossein Amini, Evan Daugherty and John Lee Hancock. She doesn't have much to work with.

Chris Hemsworth ('Thor') plays the Huntsman who at first was given the task from Queen Ravenna to hunt down Snow White and he will be rewarded with seeing his dead wife for the first time. After meeting up with Snow White, he builds a connection with her, and they decide to stick with each other and get out for freedom.

The main issues I had with this movie mainly involve the characters and the pacing. The characters were mainly stock, and I was not emotionally invested as I thought I should be. It doesn't help that Stewart barely smiles which is something that the internet has parodied from time to time. The pacing is off as well, at times it moves fast, then at times it moves slow trying to build tension, but instead builds confusion and boredom.

I never believed the characters' motivations that well, they are all pretty thin soup, Theron is fine as the villainous Queen Ravenna because the actress has that presence, although there are one or two scenes where she shouts in anger, and it feels forced to try and make her character intimidating.

There is also this one scene, in the middle of the movie, where we are introduced to the dwarfs (including Toby Jones, Nick Frost and Ray Winstone among others) and it took me out of the movie mainly because it did hold the movie to a dead stand-still.

While the cinematography by Greig Fraser is absolutely impressive at crafting long, empty woods with the grey sky and fog to build a gruesome and eerie tone, there are some creatures that look way too CGI to the point where it was almost like a cross between the "Star Wars" prequels and the "Harry Potter" creatures.

All in all, this is a well-made adaptation for anyone who loves dark fantasy, but the characters underneath are empty, and almost dull.
  3. Feb 22, 2016
    At first, I never heard anything about this film. I looked back to it... eh... a non-Disney Snow White movie would never work that well. At least don't try making a sequel... otherwise, the score would just get worse.
  4. Dec 19, 2015
    "Snow White and the Huntsman " was an acceptable adaptation of a classic tale only a little explicit and adolescents , but White had to go the most hated in the world ?, that Kristen Stewart is not worth all that is Twilight say that the state as a complete s**t, I keep rather consideration, and that lasecuela improve much . on the cast. But the sequel should be reassured because it is"Snow White and the Huntsman " was an acceptable adaptation of a classic tale only a little explicit and adolescents , but White had to go the most hated in the world ?, that Kristen Stewart is not worth all that is Twilight say that the state as a complete s**t, I keep rather consideration, and that lasecuela improve much . on the cast. But the sequel should be reassured because it is another story and is now Hunter , were saved because they wanted to follow Chris Hemsworth, but it's the same story. Expand
  5. Dec 13, 2015
    With great visuals, good story and actually not that bad acting from Kristen Stewart as i would expect... this movie was overall a nice experience! The ending was kinda disappointing *no spoilers! :D
  6. Nov 26, 2015
  7. Aug 30, 2015
    Yet again, from the minds of Hollywood executives who thinks making an expensive action blockbuster with a story based around a child's tale would hit the jackpot comes "Snow White and the Huntsman", the Snow White-on-steroids film we've all seen before.
  8. Aug 31, 2014
    I certainly enjoyed more than one moment of this film--nearly all of them related to the wonderful performance from Charlize Theron. I could've watched her all night. Unfortunately, she was under-used and the Huntsman received much more screen-time.
  9. Aug 24, 2014
    There should be a rule to forbid Kristen Stewart for being handed leading roles, or being in close-ups; the girl can't act! She has only one facial expression! Already proved in "Twilight" movies, did someone think she would be shocked out of the stupor when glittering vampires vanished? (Or the corporate brains trust that the teenage audience will bring in enough cash just because of herThere should be a rule to forbid Kristen Stewart for being handed leading roles, or being in close-ups; the girl can't act! She has only one facial expression! Already proved in "Twilight" movies, did someone think she would be shocked out of the stupor when glittering vampires vanished? (Or the corporate brains trust that the teenage audience will bring in enough cash just because of her face plastered on big screen.)

The movie is visually awesome, there is no getting around that. It was refreshing to see normal-sized men as dwarves, too, and it took me a while to make out some familiar faces there.

For all the visuals in the world, the characters seemed to have too little to work on, Ms. Stewart is simply horrible and can't convey any kind of emotion, Hemsworth after "Thor" is impressive but sort of drifts away into the corner, and Charlize Theron is impressive but the script and lack of good lines fail her. (And yes, nearer the end this goes, the more horrible the lines all around!)

There are rarely movies that make me laugh when there's nothing to laugh about (in this movie's case it was out of nervousness, sympathy and disbelief, usually when Snow White was in the limelight). I tried to like the movie, and there were good moments, but they never lasted and I can't express it enough that any other member of the female gender would have done a more endearing job as the "fairest of them all".
  10. Jun 3, 2014
    Once the film got pass the heavy introduction part, it actually got pretty interesting and entertaining. Sure, "Snow White and the Huntsman" might have borrowed some stuff from other (and better) fantasy films and if you think about it for a while, you'll see the plot holes, but nevertheless, it was a decent summer popcorn movie and I don't regret seeing it.
  11. Mar 4, 2014
    Interesting to see a darker adaption to the story, but it fails to deliver in most places. Casting, pacing and script all in the limelight here to name a few. A couple of good scenes dotted here and there, but overall you just get the feeling of being endlessly dragged along scene by scene to an ending that is already extremely well known.
  12. Feb 8, 2014
    "Snow White and the Huntsman" has beautiful costumes and visuals, and is well acted, but lacks originality and consistency. It often feels like it is a mixture of many other ideas that other fantasy films have already used. The lack of detail explanation is frustrating at times as well, but overall, "Snow White and the Huntsman" is still a decent summer blockbuster movie to watch.
  13. Nov 3, 2013
    Disappointing. Acting was good (surprisingly Kristen Stewart was decent), and Charlize Theron was particularly excellent. The Huntsman is typecast for Chris and he did a good enough job. Great special effects. The dwarves were okay. I was not very impressed with this film.
  14. Aug 11, 2013
    this was a very interesting portrayal of the Disney classic. I didn't think Kirsten Stewart would be very good in this movie but I thought she did alright with her character. I didn't feel very intimidated by the queen. many of the scenes she was in, she was weak and vulnerable. also, the romantic part of the movie was broken.
  15. Aug 5, 2013
    No es una pelicula clara puedo llegar que fue tiempo perdido pero almenos tiene trayectoria y es entendible, las cosas salen mas o menos pero no es mala
  16. Jun 17, 2013
    Great visuals Charlize Theron stole the show
    the story as we know it is so fresh and timeless Kristen Stewart is so talentless she can't even fake a smile Chris Hemsworth was good
  17. Jun 7, 2013
    Whatever. Kristen Stewart is painful to watch. She couldn't act her way out of a box. Charlize Theron is great as the queen and is truly insane and tragic, the best part of the film is watching her come undone. Theron seems to have a knack for these kinds of roles. It's just not engaging enough though. It's full of cliche', cheeseball moments that only a high school sophomore could findWhatever. Kristen Stewart is painful to watch. She couldn't act her way out of a box. Charlize Theron is great as the queen and is truly insane and tragic, the best part of the film is watching her come undone. Theron seems to have a knack for these kinds of roles. It's just not engaging enough though. It's full of cliche', cheeseball moments that only a high school sophomore could find entertaining. The soundtrack may as well have been a H.I.M. record. It's sad that this was Bob Hoskins last film. The dwarfs were pretty well done! Overall it's not a memorable movie. It's just without substance. The moral of the film is arresting and oppressive. I was hoping Theron would triumph and continue her jaded reign over her bleak little kingdom of annoying dwarfs and cliche' prince charmings, but alas, that's not how the fairy tale goes! Entirely forgettable. Expand
  18. Apr 20, 2013
    A film that relies very heavily on special effects and I think it’s because of this that it doesn’t quite work. I never see it as a good sign when there are more than two writers and there are three in this case. I generally means that the studio has had more than a passing interest in the mechanics of the storytelling (never a good sign). What you end up with (as in this case) is a filmA film that relies very heavily on special effects and I think it’s because of this that it doesn’t quite work. I never see it as a good sign when there are more than two writers and there are three in this case. I generally means that the studio has had more than a passing interest in the mechanics of the storytelling (never a good sign). What you end up with (as in this case) is a film that looks very good, but usually has little, or no, substance. Yes, Charlize Theron is pretty good as the evil queen, as is Chris Hemsworth as The Huntsman; sadly the same cannot be said of Kristen Stewart. Don’t get me wrong, I rate her as an actress but she just doesn’t have the screen presence to carry off this role. I give her full marks for effort, but, for me at least, it didn’t quite work. Over all, the film only got interesting when the dwarves turned up and that was an hour into it. I think for the sequel (yes there’s a sequel in the works) they’ll have to put a lot more work into telling the story and a little less into making it look good on screen.

SteelMonster’s verdict: RECOMMENDED (…but only just)

My score: 5.8/10
  19. Mar 21, 2013
    No amount of pretty can rescue this film from having a surprisingly shallow plot and a minimalist approach to character development.

The single best part of this movie is Charlize Theron's CRAZY routine, which as such is given the most time in the film over any other singular thing. The title characters feel like subplots over this broad's complete lunacy, and frankly I wouldn't have it any other way.

That said, I feel traitorous reviewing this film because it calls attention to a film that doesn't as such deserve it.
  20. Mar 10, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. First of all, I was trying to imagine myself watching this when I was child. Why Well, it's clearly not for adult viewers. The story It's simply too obvious.
    The movie looks GORGEOUS. Seriously, stuning effects and the environments looks amazing. But they kinda don't mix. The dark part it's pretty gothic but the "light" part is...wel...as someone described, "too Narnia". With the exception of the Queen, the characters are just too shallow and the relantionship between them simply doesn't develops enoght for such a long movie. The acting doesn't help it either. Kristin is just plain BAD in this movie. I even made an eforth to like Hemsworth character, but, I didn't. The script wasn't good. The dwarfs are cool, specially Beith, but, again, is like you don't get to know em properlly.

The main character is absurdelly ridiculous. She has been lock in a tower for like, what, 10 years And when she got out she swims perfectly and, a few days later, it's sword fighting like she has been used to it her whole life. I don't know man... Fiction needs to be even more coherent that non-fiction stuff or else I get disgusted by it. Anyway, is kinda worth it, but you won't be amazed by anything
  21. Mar 2, 2013
    I can imagine the studio pitch; "imagine Snow White meets The Lord of the Rings!" "Perfect! We'll make it!" The result is middle of the road, boring, liberally pilfers from numerous sources, predictable, forgettable and bland. I was laughing more often than not, as the film seemed to (unwittingly) reference Jabberwocky, Monty Python The Quest For The Holy Grail. Good points: the troll?I can imagine the studio pitch; "imagine Snow White meets The Lord of the Rings!" "Perfect! We'll make it!" The result is middle of the road, boring, liberally pilfers from numerous sources, predictable, forgettable and bland. I was laughing more often than not, as the film seemed to (unwittingly) reference Jabberwocky, Monty Python The Quest For The Holy Grail. Good points: the troll? What is your favourite colour? Expand
  22. Jan 31, 2013
    In this dark re-telling of the classic fairy tale, Snow White escapes the grasps of the evil Queen Ravenna after her father's kingdom is thwarted, and it will be up to the young Princess who is pure of heart to amass the forces of good against her wicked stepmother. Or so it would seem... It is difficult to tell exactly what is going on throughout the threadbare plot in SNOW WHITE AND THEIn this dark re-telling of the classic fairy tale, Snow White escapes the grasps of the evil Queen Ravenna after her father's kingdom is thwarted, and it will be up to the young Princess who is pure of heart to amass the forces of good against her wicked stepmother. Or so it would seem... It is difficult to tell exactly what is going on throughout the threadbare plot in SNOW WHITE AND THE HUNTSMAN. Sure, it looks pretty, but the big-budget special effects cannot hide the fact that SNOW WHITE makes very few attempts at telling a compelling story. Kristen Stewart stars as our slack-jawed and angst-ridden heroine (if you can call her that). Snow White spends the majority of the film fleeing through the woods with the aid of The Hunstman (Chris Hemsworth), before suddenly and confusingly becoming the leader of a major rebellion against The Queen. The term 'contrived' receives a whole new meaning in the film's brisk 2-hour run time. Charlize Theron is given a few moments to shine as Ravenna, but if any praise is due at all, it must be given to the set designers, who have brilliantly dressed everything from the brooding castles to the enchanted forests. SNOW WHITE AND THE HUNTSMAN provides enough eye-candy to 'wow' most fantasy fans, but THE LORD OF THE RINGS this is not. Expand
  23. Dec 5, 2012
    Good film, not as unique as I had hoped, but average isn't always such a terrible thing. Interesting style and attractive visuals. Charlize Theron steals the show, and saves the movie.
  24. Nov 29, 2012
    The Movie had great potential, and was pretty well done for the most part. Charlize Theron does a great job. The problem with the movie was Kristen Stewart, who still thinks all characters act like her twilight character. She literally sucks the soul out of every scene she is in. That being said Twilight fans will love this movie because she is in it.
  25. Nov 28, 2012
    It has a few very memorable performances and some stunning visuals, but it ultimately suffers a great deal from its uninspired lead character and a hefty amount of plot contrivances.
  26. Nov 12, 2012
    Typical in ways, and largely predictable. Basically this is the same lazy, uninspired, cliched, dime a dozen thoughtlessness that comes annually with high-budget Hollywood productions. But, if you ask me, that's not as bad as it sounds. It looks cool, it's exciting and everyone is beautiful. As shallow as it may sound, I like those things. Sue me.
  27. Nov 11, 2012
    This movie was shot beautifully, if you have the opportunity to watch this with the sound off and some music on I recommend it. Most of the characters ranged from generic to flat out boring and unlikable with few exceptions. The story was unmemorable, the dialogue dull and the character arcs non-existent. The pacing though is what really killed it, you'd occasionally be drawn into theThis movie was shot beautifully, if you have the opportunity to watch this with the sound off and some music on I recommend it. Most of the characters ranged from generic to flat out boring and unlikable with few exceptions. The story was unmemorable, the dialogue dull and the character arcs non-existent. The pacing though is what really killed it, you'd occasionally be drawn into the movie by some scene or a bit of interaction only to be left there waiting for something else to happen, and waiting and waiting. Again, cool effects, sets and costumes, watch it for that. Expand
  28. Nov 4, 2012
    The bad: You'll find many things borrowed from Game of Thrones and LOTR. The good: outstanding special effects, a magnet performance from Theron, and an interesting and dark take on the tale.
  29. Nov 1, 2012
    I wasn't honestly expecting much with this movie. It was just another re-imagining of the classic snow white tale, except this time darker. I've never been much into that kind of thing, I mean why mess with the classics? The movie really bored me, and I really just couldn't wait for it to be over. I do have one aspect to praise, and that's the ending. Most movies like this would have hadI wasn't honestly expecting much with this movie. It was just another re-imagining of the classic snow white tale, except this time darker. I've never been much into that kind of thing, I mean why mess with the classics? The movie really bored me, and I really just couldn't wait for it to be over. I do have one aspect to praise, and that's the ending. Most movies like this would have had it the usual romantic ending between the Huntsman and Snow White, but thankfully it did not and gave us a perfectly good conclusion that's out of the norm. I can't bring myself to recommend this to anyone, but I know this movie will find it's audience/fans, I'm just not one of them. Expand
  30. Oct 28, 2012
    To be honest, I thought the movie was a little boring. It was okay, but the action was slow and the plot was too rushed, hard to keep track of, and just plain boring. This isn't even as close to as good as something like Alice in Wonderland. I think it was a disappointment.
  31. Oct 27, 2012
    The film was normal, nothing impressive that just blows your mind away. The only character I liked in this film was the queen. She could really show the evil and cruelty that was inside. The '' Snow White '', character was boring, awkward and there was no magic around. Overall the film was boring, lacked good action, shown no humor and chemistry between the characters. When I watched theThe film was normal, nothing impressive that just blows your mind away. The only character I liked in this film was the queen. She could really show the evil and cruelty that was inside. The '' Snow White '', character was boring, awkward and there was no magic around. Overall the film was boring, lacked good action, shown no humor and chemistry between the characters. When I watched the trailer I was hoping to see a good film that would bring back my memories from childhood. Expand
  32. Oct 8, 2012
    While 'Snow White and the Huntsman' is certainly more distinctive, original, and enjoyable than this years' previous Snow White adaptation, 'Mirror Mirror', the movie is inconsistent tonally and features some very odd performances from its cast. Charlize Theron goes overboard as the evil queen Ravenna, most of the film going from screaming one second to being silent with trembling fury theWhile 'Snow White and the Huntsman' is certainly more distinctive, original, and enjoyable than this years' previous Snow White adaptation, 'Mirror Mirror', the movie is inconsistent tonally and features some very odd performances from its cast. Charlize Theron goes overboard as the evil queen Ravenna, most of the film going from screaming one second to being silent with trembling fury the next, and Kristen Stewart undersells her Snow White with barely any screen presence, making her come off as mild. When these two forces of nature collide, the result is unengaging. There is also an attempt at romance between Stewart and Hemsworth which feels as fake as the appearance of the seven dwarves, as portrayed by Ray Winstone and Nick Frost among others. There are some moments of visual bliss though, including the re-invention of the mirror-on-the-wall and a lush sequence involving various different forest creatures, and the overall dark tone to the fairy tale is nice, somewhat reminiscent of 'Pan's Labarynth'. But don't mistake the overall tone and dark style of 'Snow White and the Huntsman' for the movie itself. If anything, it's a visually gorgeous misfire. Expand
  33. Oct 4, 2012
    Everyone knows the story of Snow White. And we are presented with a darker, more violent twist on the fairy tale that could have been an excellent film. But in the end, it was just silly.
  34. Oct 2, 2012
    I couldn't bring myself to care about any of the characters in this movie--except maybe the dwarves--and therefore the story was boring and pointless. Kristen Stewart still can't act, which is usually a problem for a main character. The supporting cast wasn't too bad, but had junk to work with. The one good thing in this movie was the visuals, but these go to waste because of theI couldn't bring myself to care about any of the characters in this movie--except maybe the dwarves--and therefore the story was boring and pointless. Kristen Stewart still can't act, which is usually a problem for a main character. The supporting cast wasn't too bad, but had junk to work with. The one good thing in this movie was the visuals, but these go to waste because of the lackluster characters and dialogue. Expand
  35. Oct 2, 2012
    Wow. This movie exceeded my expectation. I thought this movie was directed really well. The storyline was easy to comprehend, dialogues were not cheesy and easy to understand. Acting was good too, although I disliked Kristen Stewart acting as Snow White. I feel that she lacked femininity and expression. Charlize Theron did phenomenal as the evil witch. She was too good. I loved how theyWow. This movie exceeded my expectation. I thought this movie was directed really well. The storyline was easy to comprehend, dialogues were not cheesy and easy to understand. Acting was good too, although I disliked Kristen Stewart acting as Snow White. I feel that she lacked femininity and expression. Charlize Theron did phenomenal as the evil witch. She was too good. I loved how they shoot the scenes, with awesome angles. The effects were superb. Seriously. I loved this movie. It depicts darkness more somehow but worth watching. Definitely not my comprehension of Snow White during my childhood days. Expand
  36. Sep 29, 2012
    My original score was an "8". Afterwards, I deducted "7" for Kristen Stewart who should have played the ice queen instead of snow white !! How did she ever became a actress ? She has the same facial expression whatever she does... cry, smile, get angry, kiss, die, resurrect, fight, whisper, yell, etc, etc... Anyway, that got us to a score of 8-7=1. Add to that , a "5" for Charlize Theron,My original score was an "8". Afterwards, I deducted "7" for Kristen Stewart who should have played the ice queen instead of snow white !! How did she ever became a actress ? She has the same facial expression whatever she does... cry, smile, get angry, kiss, die, resurrect, fight, whisper, yell, etc, etc... Anyway, that got us to a score of 8-7=1. Add to that , a "5" for Charlize Theron, who was a perfect and wonderful villain, and you get the final "6" for the movie. Expand
  37. Sep 22, 2012
    I do not know what possessed me to think that this would be something worth watching, however having seen it I must admit that it was wonderfully directed with stunning visuals and soundtrack alike. Theron is delightful as Ravenna.
  38. Sep 18, 2012
    This is the third Snow of the year, if you count the television series, Once Upon a Time. In the TV series, we have Lana Parrilla as the evil Queen with magical powers, who starts out as a normal teenager, but because of life events becomes a complex psychological character, driven by grief and despair into the shadows of the dark powers. Julia Roberts takes up the evil Queen in Mirror,This is the third Snow of the year, if you count the television series, Once Upon a Time. In the TV series, we have Lana Parrilla as the evil Queen with magical powers, who starts out as a normal teenager, but because of life events becomes a complex psychological character, driven by grief and despair into the shadows of the dark powers. Julia Roberts takes up the evil Queen in Mirror, Mirror, which follows the traditional fairy tale with a lot of spoofing and exaggeration that cannot be taken very seriously. Now we have Charlize Theron as the evil Queen, and as far as evil queens go, she is truly over the top. She might have been normal as a small child, but was endowed by her mother with magical powers at a young age under vaguely stressful circumstances that are never properly explained. After her conversion, there is no turning back. She is the archetypical Evil One, whose sole objective is to "give this world the Queen it deserves." Like the villain in most cartoons, she just wants to take over the whole world because she is infested with evil, and evil must prevail, no matter what. A good part of this movie is a classical "chase movie" like Mel Gibson's Apocalypto. Snow White is imprisoned, she escapes, and she is chased by the Queen's army and then specifically by the Huntsman, who falls in love with her. But she is also protected by her childhood love, William, the duke's son, who gave her up for dead, and then comes to her rescue when he realizes she is alive and being hunted. The rivalry between these two swains is never mentioned; Snow White never expresses any preference for either and there are no love scenes. Who will win her hand after Good conquers Evil is a loose end that never gets tied up. The chase takes us into the Dark Forest, with dead birds, snakes, dead trees, and a troll. Then we meet the eight dwarves, soon to be seven, and yes, they should have hired the real thing instead of using camera tricks, because how else are these petite actors going to find employment? The dwarves take Snow White and the huntsman into Fairyland--this is the land of Nature and Good Spirits. The fairies are tiny creatures that ride turtles and hide under bird wings. Then the Great Spirit appears in the form of a white stag. He blesses Snow White for being the purest spirit of them all, but never speaks, unlike Aslan in Narnia. When the chase is finally over, unlike other chase movies, this movie continues. Snow White is welcomed at the castle of the good Duke, whose son has helped to rescue her. She was told she must inspire others. Thus, she becomes a Jeanne d'Arc who rallies the troops and leads them into battle, even though she has said earlier in the film she could never even wield a knife. Kristen Stewart is an unconventional Snow White--her hair is not as black as ebony, her skin is not as white as snow, and her lips are not as red as blood; nevertheless, she is still an effective Snow White, but with missed opportunities for confusion about romance, true anger about her father's death, and true heroism in battle. Theron also is denied the complexity of having feelings for anyone but her brother, and it's not clear she likes him either. The Huntsman is a very good-looking Australian with eyes that are blue enough to qualify him to replace Mel Gibson as the national export. In spite of the flaws, the film is visually enticing as it takes the viewer deeper and deeper into the forest, leading us onward with tension and suspense, but ultimately letting us down. Snow White is finally Queen, but again, an opportunity for complicated and nuanced emotions is missed. Expand
  39. Sep 11, 2012
    It's hard to explain what was wrong with this appropriate dark twist on the original tale, but overall, it was just OK. There are multiple times in this 2 hour movie where I was wandering off. However, I felt the cinematography was beautiful and Chris Hemsworth managed to act efficiently.
  40. Aug 12, 2012
    Great visuals, an amazing performance by Charlize Theron, and a pretty decent battle at the end: these are the good things I can remember about this movie. Besides that, it drags. A lot.
  41. Aug 10, 2012
    Dazzling, class-A visuals are undone by a directionless and dialogue-heavy script, as well as poor performances from Kristen Stewart and Charlize Theron.
  42. Aug 4, 2012
    Beautiful but boring and shallow. This movie had me fidgeting in my seat and impatiently checking my watch almost from the opening scene. I give it a 6 solely for the cinematography.
  43. Jul 22, 2012
    He could come out a good movie because it is technically well done. Too bad that Stewart as Snow White (character who was supposed to carry the good, the sweetness, innocence) has almost ruined everything with his expressionless. Thank goodness there was Charlize Theron that saved the movie with his incredible performance at the Queen.
  44. Jul 22, 2012
    And it could have been so good... or at least, that's my feeling after watching this. Certainly the effects and art design are good with a wonderful (if ever so gory) Goth vibe running through the film. And in Charlize Theron, the film has a pretty interesting Villain to set the heroes up against. But oh, those Heroes. Stewart is a damp squib in a role which, in fairness, is a damp squib.And it could have been so good... or at least, that's my feeling after watching this. Certainly the effects and art design are good with a wonderful (if ever so gory) Goth vibe running through the film. And in Charlize Theron, the film has a pretty interesting Villain to set the heroes up against. But oh, those Heroes. Stewart is a damp squib in a role which, in fairness, is a damp squib. And with two male leads, there is no real sense of romance with either, nor the obvious love rivalry. The action sequences are also pretty lacklustre, with no real "wow" moments even though they certainly have scale. The film is also pretty bleak and dour with no real humour to break things up. The dwarfs may have provided that but they are such a small part they're not really worth a mention. With a bit more effort and thought this could have been a nice franchise along the lines of Pirates but I cant see the point in a sequel. Expand
  45. Jul 21, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This film felt like it wasn't sure what kind of story it wanted to tell. All the scenes meant to pull at our emotions fell flat because there was no substance behind them. I cared more for the parents of Snow White than I did any other character in the film, despite excellent acting all round. Saying this, I'm not sure if Kristen Stewart was really suited to a leader role for the final battle, which did feel like it was shoved in for the sake of having some 'epic war ride'. It was however, entertaining to a point. The CGI and score were outstanding, as were all the cast. I was disappointed the magic mirror as a cloaked figure wasn't taken further than the original appearance - it was an interesting design choice which was wasted. The other major annoyance was that there was no romantic conclusion, this is just a personal preference though. Expand
  46. Jul 10, 2012
    Just a failed attempt to capture the classic fairy tale . With a unworthy script and Kristen's bad acting this adaption of snow white just doesn't work . The Direction was even and the special effects were amazing . But still there were so many Negativity . Therons look and style was the Perfect Witch but coz of bad dialogues her character just kept falling and falling . Chris was theJust a failed attempt to capture the classic fairy tale . With a unworthy script and Kristen's bad acting this adaption of snow white just doesn't work . The Direction was even and the special effects were amazing . But still there were so many Negativity . Therons look and style was the Perfect Witch but coz of bad dialogues her character just kept falling and falling . Chris was the perfect choice as the Huntsman he did good but as soon as the story came out all "Twilight" it was the end of him . Right before the end of the film Kristen's Tough Lady Scenes were the funniest moment in the film . Seriously she cant act at all . The Movie could be a different types of Dark Fairy Tale but coz of that horrible script and Kristen as Snow the movie just doesn't work . Expand
  47. Jul 5, 2012
    Not a terrible movie but I expected more. It got boring at times and you may find yourself dozing off while at other times it was amusing. I believe it is highly overrated by the critics.
  48. Jul 2, 2012
    Looks fantastic but this film is a complete borefest. Stewart is a terrible lead and gives the audience no reason to care about her what so ever. Whether happy or sad, her face doesn't move from that surly grimmace. Although Hemsworth is let down by a bad character his performance is quite good. Theron starts well but her antics are same ol same ol and there is little else to herLooks fantastic but this film is a complete borefest. Stewart is a terrible lead and gives the audience no reason to care about her what so ever. Whether happy or sad, her face doesn't move from that surly grimmace. Although Hemsworth is let down by a bad character his performance is quite good. Theron starts well but her antics are same ol same ol and there is little else to her character. The story itself doesn't seem to know what it is doing with itself, is it an action flick, fantasy or romance? It tries to focus on each so hard in certain places that it backfires and none of them gel together. I also feel a good 20-30mins of 'nothingness' could have cut out, it consistently drags between the odd scene which actually catch your attention. The only saving grace is the CGI, coustumes and setting which are all excellent. 4/10 Expand
  49. Jun 27, 2012
    this movie has some many good points and some bad. good: the hunter (Chris Hemsworth), this fantastic along with William and Queen, but I have to say that Kristen Stewart is horrible, because she never changes her face, she is always the same, but in compensation she does not ta rubbing their hands in the body of nobody
  50. Jun 25, 2012
    The movie in a nutshell is a paper thin, almost-barely-there plotline hidden under a veil of drop-dead gorgeous visuals. When the simplistic plotline is present, it is nebulous at best, and it leads the viewer to question why is this here? what is the purpose of this? and most importantly, why do I care? It's very frustrating and infuriating. There is seriously so much random **** all overThe movie in a nutshell is a paper thin, almost-barely-there plotline hidden under a veil of drop-dead gorgeous visuals. When the simplistic plotline is present, it is nebulous at best, and it leads the viewer to question why is this here? what is the purpose of this? and most importantly, why do I care? It's very frustrating and infuriating. There is seriously so much random **** all over the place that while watching the film, I pictured it as a 10,000 piece jigsaw puzzle opened by the film crew that was only partially put together and then submitted as complete. All the parts that should clearly be focused on aren't (what is the purpose behind the forest deer) and all the parts that shouldn't be focused on are (there is no need to show a campfire scene for like 10 minutes, much less at all). The big WTF moment is when a romantic plotline materializes out of thin air. The acting was flat, except for Charlize Theron, whose sinister performance I believed to an extent. Now on the other side, the visuals might have been the most spectacular I have seen since Avatar, and the set design and costumes were flawless. Is that enough to hold up a film when so much else is lacking? I'm not sure. It depends on the viewer. As for me, I was completely underwhelmed by a movie that could have and should have been more. Done right, this film could have been amazing. Is the film bad? No, but it isn't great either. And that's a big shame because I was rooting for it. Expand
  51. Jun 21, 2012
    While a far better film than Mirror Mirror (which I had to walk out of), Snow White fails to live up to the very stylish and cool initial 30 minutes or so. Slogging through the Forrest gets a little old, and the 2nd half of the movie in general is little bloated. And I hated the ending.
  52. Jun 20, 2012
    Out of all the live-action Snow White adaptions, I don't think i've watched any that are nearly as good as this one. You'll get great performances from most of the lead actors and the cgi is nice too. Even if there is occasionally unintentional humor, the story really works.
  53. Jun 12, 2012
    In all honesty this movie was a let down, though the strange plot may keep you watching and Kristen Stewart's well done change of roles leaving you stunned. You will without doubt notice the huge plot holes which ruin the whole movie experience. Most adults will notice these flaws, kids will without doubt miss them. Which means only kids can truly enjoy this movie, which is a shame seeingIn all honesty this movie was a let down, though the strange plot may keep you watching and Kristen Stewart's well done change of roles leaving you stunned. You will without doubt notice the huge plot holes which ruin the whole movie experience. Most adults will notice these flaws, kids will without doubt miss them. Which means only kids can truly enjoy this movie, which is a shame seeing how dark it can be. All together I'd recommend it to the small minded. Expand
  54. Jun 10, 2012
    I have to give this film a pass. Charlize Theron and Chris Hemsworth were very good. Kristen Stewart was passable, but she does tend to have a pouty, mean look on her face most of the movie. I'm trying to remember if I ever saw her smile. I liked that the film kept a very dark, violent tone throughout. There weren't any slow moments for me, but the movie is very predictable from sceneI have to give this film a pass. Charlize Theron and Chris Hemsworth were very good. Kristen Stewart was passable, but she does tend to have a pouty, mean look on her face most of the movie. I'm trying to remember if I ever saw her smile. I liked that the film kept a very dark, violent tone throughout. There weren't any slow moments for me, but the movie is very predictable from scene to scene. The CGI throughout was very good. The Troll, Dwarfs, and Pixies in particular looked great. The mirror had the voice of Darth Vader which was pretty jarring. The dwarfs were apparently played by average sized people as I recognized Ian McShane and Bob Hoskins, but they did a great job of making them look the part. I would have rated the film higher, but it did have two of my biggest pet peeves. 1. Many characters have a heavy accent making them hard to understand. 2. Every battle scene had the dreaded moving camera so you couldn't see what was happening. I have gotten to the point where I don't even watch when they apply this technique. This film was much better than the dreadful "Mirror Mirror" from earlier this year. Expand
  55. Jun 9, 2012
    Overall, Chris Hemsworth and Charlize Theron do an excellent job with their roles, and the CGI is exceptional. Sadly, Kristen Stewart's acting (contrary to a lot of the claims here), is nothign short of disinteresting. A good test of fantasy works is suspension of disbelief: during all of Ms. Stewarts scenes, I found myself exposed to the flaws in both the plot and the structure of theOverall, Chris Hemsworth and Charlize Theron do an excellent job with their roles, and the CGI is exceptional. Sadly, Kristen Stewart's acting (contrary to a lot of the claims here), is nothign short of disinteresting. A good test of fantasy works is suspension of disbelief: during all of Ms. Stewarts scenes, I found myself exposed to the flaws in both the plot and the structure of the scenes. Wooden and unconvincing is only the gateway to describing her: however, the scenes are gorgeous and both Hemsworth and Theron are exceptional in their roles, and really do nail each moment of them. I look at this as a scene that is several well respected actors trying to lend some credibility to a younger cast and see if they can ascend to a higher pantheon of acting. For Kristen Stewart and the actor who plays the son of a duke, I found myself utterly disappointed. For Chris Hemsworth, I hope he continues to get more roles from his performance Expand
  56. Jun 9, 2012
    A hokey, boring, unnecessary film. The story is nothing new but told for a vis-effects generation, which sacrifices any clever plot devices. In a summer where board games are getting big screen adaptations, it's no surprise to see not 1, but 2 Snow White adaptations - both taken any polar directions - but neither adding anything worthy of a 2-hour time investment. To know that a sequel isA hokey, boring, unnecessary film. The story is nothing new but told for a vis-effects generation, which sacrifices any clever plot devices. In a summer where board games are getting big screen adaptations, it's no surprise to see not 1, but 2 Snow White adaptations - both taken any polar directions - but neither adding anything worthy of a 2-hour time investment. To know that a sequel is in the works is almost as no surprise as the its ending. Don't eat the apple. Expand
  57. Jun 9, 2012
    i think this movie is just running a typical hollywood formula, and they twisted everything to fit into it. the pace of this movie is very odd. and i dont know if it is the director trying to give some room for the viewers to think or feel for charactors, but it really gets boring. all actors in this movie did deliver their work. buut if u do not care about the raising stars, dont buyi think this movie is just running a typical hollywood formula, and they twisted everything to fit into it. the pace of this movie is very odd. and i dont know if it is the director trying to give some room for the viewers to think or feel for charactors, but it really gets boring. all actors in this movie did deliver their work. buut if u do not care about the raising stars, dont buy tickets. and there is one thing i typically doesnt like about this movie is they use 3/4 of time to emphasize how snow white has a pure heart, but ends up with a sword start killing people with a lots of hate. Expand
  58. Jun 8, 2012
    I started out thinking I could get into it if it kept getting better, but by the third act this movie becomes so boring that I didn't even care what would happen anymore.
  59. Jun 8, 2012
    Just back from "Snow White And The Huntsmen". It was fine and I did enjoy it as it surprised me how dark it was for a 12a. Great special effects and a really beautiful movie and I mean "Middle Earth" beautiful, even without 3D. Charlize Theron, Chris Hemsworth and the brilliantly cast dwarves are all great. However the one downside (and its a big one) is Kristen Stewart. She just has oneJust back from "Snow White And The Huntsmen". It was fine and I did enjoy it as it surprised me how dark it was for a 12a. Great special effects and a really beautiful movie and I mean "Middle Earth" beautiful, even without 3D. Charlize Theron, Chris Hemsworth and the brilliantly cast dwarves are all great. However the one downside (and its a big one) is Kristen Stewart. She just has one expression and isn't believable in the action scenes. Worth a watch but not for young kids. Expand
  60. Jun 8, 2012
    Great cinematography, great scenes, set, casting, battle scenes, special effects.... all spoilt by one thing: Kirsten Stewart!
    OK, there are a few flaw in the plot, like how someone who has been imprisoned between the age of about 10 to 18 can ride and fight, but I suppose it does explain some of her complete lack of ability to act and speak like a normal person. What a shame from an otherwise excellent movie.
  61. Jun 6, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This was an alright action-ish movie. The visuals were good in a lot of places and the Queen was a great character, but the movie seemed a bit lost with what is was trying to do. Characters and their motivations were never really developed well and I ended up not really caring what happens. There some moments that just made me wonder if there were really important. For example, when Snow White meets that huge antlered deer, it was apparently a big deal. The problem is that we are told it's a big deal with out actually seeing why. Snow White apparently has some sort of healing powers or is "life itself" which is great because that's the complete opposite of what the Queen represents, but Snow White never demonstrates her ability. It would be better thematically to have had Snow White lead an army of nature oriented creatures and men to fight against the Queen with her dark and sharp monsters. It would have made more sense and made Snow White look more important.The acting was alright in most places, especially the Queen, but there were a few pretty corny speeches. Overall the movie had a pretty good concept and executed it's visuals well, but failed to develop the story properly for me to be invested in the characters and the outcome. Expand
  62. Jun 6, 2012
    After experiencing the light hearted family take on the fairy tale Snow White with â
  63. Jun 6, 2012
    The movie itself is beautiful. But everything else itself is a fail. Wooden acting, lazy storytelling and predictable plot twists all mar what could have been a much better film. The talented cast (mostly) deserve better.
  64. Jun 5, 2012
    At least 15 minutes too long, with a poor star performance (Theron) and merely adequate turns from Stewart and Hemsworth, this film took itself rather too seriously. Certainly, it looked great, and the dwarfs were fun, but it did not offer much that was memorable or interesting.
  65. Jun 5, 2012
    Snow White and The Huntsman is creative with it's visuals and in the recreation of the original storyline but is also very empty and lacks depth. The entire movie has a very "flat-line" feeling to it with no real spikes or surprises. It's not bad but it never really gets very exciting either. The only character who stands out is The Evil Queen (Charlize Theron) while most the otherSnow White and The Huntsman is creative with it's visuals and in the recreation of the original storyline but is also very empty and lacks depth. The entire movie has a very "flat-line" feeling to it with no real spikes or surprises. It's not bad but it never really gets very exciting either. The only character who stands out is The Evil Queen (Charlize Theron) while most the other characters stroll through their roles. I was really hoping for more from The Huntsman but again the characters and the storyline lacked depth. If you want to see creativity then watch this movie but don't be surprised when you walk out with a hollow feeling. Expand
  66. Jun 5, 2012
    Maybe Snow White and the Huntsman looks promising for dark fairy tale entry, but it's undone by uneven acting, problematic pacing, and a confused script.
  67. Jun 5, 2012
    Man was this movie average. Kristen Stewart is not right for this part, Hemsworth didn't pull it off. I like Hemsworth too so I am going to chalk that up to bad writing. I liked the world and how it was shot but you need some acting and a consistent story. Maybe a little comedy, just a little. The queen was the best part of the movie.
  68. Jun 4, 2012
    Better than it has a right to be, this movie's watchability hinges entirely on your opinion of Kristen Stewart. She walks through this movie just like Twilight, which is to say she can not act. She alternates between taking deep breathes (which is her happy look, maybe?) and a confused/constipated look. Most laughably when she is supposed to be giving an inspirational speech, but eitherBetter than it has a right to be, this movie's watchability hinges entirely on your opinion of Kristen Stewart. She walks through this movie just like Twilight, which is to say she can not act. She alternates between taking deep breathes (which is her happy look, maybe?) and a confused/constipated look. Most laughably when she is supposed to be giving an inspirational speech, but either whispers or yells, and the whole thing seems like chunks of it were cut out, presumably because she was somehow worse in her delivery. Everyone else is fine, I guess, with only Charlize Theron really going for it (and doing pretty well, I guess). Expand
  69. Jun 3, 2012
    Going into this without many expectations (except of Charlize Theron), I was kind of validated at the end. The storyline is decent for what the original story is and it is not as predictable as I thought it'd be. The ending, however, is rather silly, especially the romance part of it. For one, there is ZERO chemistry between the lead actors, which makes the whole romance bit rather weak.Going into this without many expectations (except of Charlize Theron), I was kind of validated at the end. The storyline is decent for what the original story is and it is not as predictable as I thought it'd be. The ending, however, is rather silly, especially the romance part of it. For one, there is ZERO chemistry between the lead actors, which makes the whole romance bit rather weak. To give the film due credit, it never really rests on the romance until the very end, and that's where it heavily fails. Also, the way the witch-queen is defeated is EXTREMELY disappointing. Theron was rather good as the evil witch-queen, but her character was slightly over-reactive and over-the top at the very beginning. She is still, however, by far the best thing in the film. The music and production design are also very good, but that's where the good stuff ends. Hemsworth and Stewart were mediocre at best, and it was quite nice to see Stewart actually smiling a few times. Didn't think she had it in her, but she managed. That being said, she was sorely miscast for the film. She just is not that beautiful, and the whole time I kept on asking myself "Really, would Charlize be jealous/threatened by Kristen" and the answer was always a defying NO. So, that made no sense to me with the casting. Overall, though, the film was entertaining. I didn't really lose interest in it at any point, but there was nothing new or refreshing that the film brought, except another good performance by Theron. She was definitely the best thing about the film, and after a few months, probably the only thing I will retain from it. Expand
  70. Jun 3, 2012
    Just to get this out of the way, Charlize Theron carried this entire movie. Kirsten Stewart does what she does best, as the background wallflower. The movie suffers a lot from a really weak script and the directing shows that rather too clearly. What could be a nice wrapped package becomes rather confusing with the introduction of characters that made not a lot of sense and didn't add toJust to get this out of the way, Charlize Theron carried this entire movie. Kirsten Stewart does what she does best, as the background wallflower. The movie suffers a lot from a really weak script and the directing shows that rather too clearly. What could be a nice wrapped package becomes rather confusing with the introduction of characters that made not a lot of sense and didn't add to the storyline. If you removed said characters it would affect absolutely zero to the drama. Namely, Snow White's childhood/maybeloveinterest William whose being in the show makes zero impact to the storyline. Then the squandered opportunities like the Troll, which again added zero value to the story. Why introduce the Troll if you're not going to use it as an ally in the ending? Just to show that Snow White is connected to Mother Nature? In fact that whole 'Green' Snow White is literally pounded into you throughout half the movie, which incidentally is where the movie actually starts. For the first 30 minutes you're treated to a rather interesting background story which one wold say was the better half. In fact, the first part of the story made for a better script than the actual Movie itself.

Finally we have Chris Hemsworth, he was great in that tiny role in Star Trek, fantastic in Cabin in the Woods great in Thor. But even the best actors can't do much with a weak script and an even weaker character. At least he's there for a reason. In fact he has almost nothing to say and do once he brings Snow White to the Duke's Castle. Seriously? For a Movie call Snow White and the huntsman, he appears only in half the movie and has nothing to do in the last quarter of the movie.

This movie is a terrible miscarriage of what could have been and what we eventually got. It'll have been a more interesting movie if Snow White stayed in the background (Kirsten Stewart doing what Kirsten Stewart does best) and the focus on the Evil Queen instead.
  71. Jun 3, 2012
    Seriously not as bad as some people are making it out to be. True Kristen Stewart basically sucks out all the life (much like the far superior character Ravenna) from the movie, whenever sheâ
  72. Jun 3, 2012
    Even that I'm not a fan of fairytale but this adoption is simply great. It has exciting moment that keep the thrill. The main drawback of the movie is that the acting has its weak points which is probably do to the choose of actors and actresses. Also the movie wasn't written as well. Overall I would say it can be a good movie for a weekend cinema time.
  73. Jun 2, 2012
    Visually stunning but emotionally vacant, "Snow White and the Huntsman" is a feast for the eyes but a famine for the soul. There is very little here to care about. Those familiar with the Disney cartoon will have an idea of what's going to happen and the script offers very few surprises to liven the story. It takes quite a while to rev up after a fairly interesting beginning. The chaseVisually stunning but emotionally vacant, "Snow White and the Huntsman" is a feast for the eyes but a famine for the soul. There is very little here to care about. Those familiar with the Disney cartoon will have an idea of what's going to happen and the script offers very few surprises to liven the story. It takes quite a while to rev up after a fairly interesting beginning. The chase through the Dark Forest and an encounter with a village of scarred women and children seems to drag on for quite a long time. The two hour running time could easily have been trimmed by at least 15 minutes and increased the film's energy level. That might have made the well-worn story more interesting. As it is, the audience marvels at the costumes, landscapes and mythical creatures but wonders whether their might be something more interesting happening on the next screen of the multiplex. Theron, Hemsworth and yes, even Stewart do an excellent to adequate job in the acting department and the team of dwarfs steal every scene they're in; but the script is in dire need of one of Ravenna's rejuvenation spells. Expand
  74. Jun 2, 2012
    Kristen Stewart is unconvincing in her role as Snow White, in terms of both acting and appearance (fairer than the Charlize Theron? Yeah right.) This film is nowhere near as epic as it pretends to be.
  75. Jun 2, 2012
    Overall, I was more impressed than I thought I would be. The battle scenes were convincing, Charlize Theron was terrifying, and Kristen Stewart may have a career outside of the Twilight franchise after all.
  76. Jun 2, 2012
    This was an uneven film. It generated wonder and boredom. The story telling was clunky. The CGI and imagination of many of the scenes were incredible. A movie has lost me as a viewer when I no longer can suspend my disbelief and begin to question the logic and rationale of the storytelling; that's what happened here. There were some great parts and I loved the re-imagining of the oldThis was an uneven film. It generated wonder and boredom. The story telling was clunky. The CGI and imagination of many of the scenes were incredible. A movie has lost me as a viewer when I no longer can suspend my disbelief and begin to question the logic and rationale of the storytelling; that's what happened here. There were some great parts and I loved the re-imagining of the old story. Brilliant what they did with the 7 dwarfs. The scenery was great. By the last 10 minutes I was so disinterested in the story itself that I walked out, which about 5 people had done before me throughout the movie. Expand
  77. Jun 2, 2012
    Snow White and the Huntsman had such potential. Potential that was so very wasted. Going into this movie from the beginning there are a handful of things that just leave you dumbfounded. The idea that Snow White(Stewart) is more beautiful than the Queen(Theron) is absolutely ridiculous. In comparison to the Queen, Snow had not one redeeming feature. Which may seem odd since the ENTIRE filmSnow White and the Huntsman had such potential. Potential that was so very wasted. Going into this movie from the beginning there are a handful of things that just leave you dumbfounded. The idea that Snow White(Stewart) is more beautiful than the Queen(Theron) is absolutely ridiculous. In comparison to the Queen, Snow had not one redeeming feature. Which may seem odd since the ENTIRE film is based on the premise that Snow is the fairest of them all. As a whole Stewart did a better job this time around; however, not by much. Her greatest feat the entire movie was to look absolutely confused. Which considering how they attempted to portray White(an innocent child) feels rather natural. The Huntsman played by Helmsworth was at times humorous; however his lasting feature was his ability to play a drunken brute with not much depth. It was hard for me to feel sorry for a great big oaf that just enjoyed smashing things with his axe and act as a quiet guardian. As for Charlize Theron, absolutely terrific. She is the one actor that absolutely shined through the absolute, gray, monotonous acting you can find throughout this film. I found myself wanting to see more of the madness that was The Queen and less about a dull Snow White with no character. By the end of the movie you began to feel more emotional attachment to Ravenna, the misunderstood heroine. Which seems really out of place and yet there is no one to blame except for maybe the writers. Unless this was their main focus the entire movie. Throughout the entire movie there were little things that would really make you turn your head with confusion. Things that distracted you from the movie and onto the little things that honestly just didn't make any sense. All the plot devices are just plot conveniences, it's just lazy writing.

***Spoiler Alert***: Firstly, You really want me to believe that being locked in a cell for the better part of 10 years from the age of 8 to 18 is going to create a fully functioning young lady with no social difficulties, mental stability, psychosis. Nothing? She hops on out of the cell perfectly fine, with nothing affecting her. No malnourishment, weakness NOTHING.Secondly Living in a cell I would find that I had a long time to myself. Why then did she only just discover the nail outside her window moments before it became convenient for her. That is only creating a convenient conflict to progress the story, which in my opinion is just terrible writing. Immediately following her escape she just happens to stumble onto a beautiful and majestic horse just lying out in the sun. Again incredibly convenient for her, in her escape from an entire castle filled with muscular, athletic men. This is all in just a few minutes of the start of the movie and there are plenty of other examples of bad writing or bad directing.***Spoiler Alert Over*** Sadly Charlize Theron and the great animation, cgi, and a visually appealing movie doesn't make a good film. All the plot devices are just plot conveniences, it's just lazy writing. It really takes away from an average film.
  78. Jun 1, 2012
    The visual effects are stunning, and Charlize Theron is her usual brilliant self, but the rest of the film seemed a bit stale to me. Kristen Stewie is not worthy of the mantle of "Fairest in the Land." She's not ugly by any means, but seriously falls short of Charlize. Stewie might do well in a ninth grade theater production, but she struggles terribly on the big screen. Watch this oneThe visual effects are stunning, and Charlize Theron is her usual brilliant self, but the rest of the film seemed a bit stale to me. Kristen Stewie is not worthy of the mantle of "Fairest in the Land." She's not ugly by any means, but seriously falls short of Charlize. Stewie might do well in a ninth grade theater production, but she struggles terribly on the big screen. Watch this one dvd, illegally download it, or skip it all together. Don't pay too much to watch this mediocre fairytale that has been speckled with a few brief shining moments. Expand
  79. Jun 1, 2012
    I really wanted this movie to be good since I am a fan of fantasy movies (when done right) and I love the old Disney movies. But this one, like Alice in Wonderland, had great visuals but lacked a good story and good characters. Charlize Theron was very good as the Evil Queen, so much so that I was kind of rooting for her to defeat Snow White. But the rest of the cast just couldn't pullI really wanted this movie to be good since I am a fan of fantasy movies (when done right) and I love the old Disney movies. But this one, like Alice in Wonderland, had great visuals but lacked a good story and good characters. Charlize Theron was very good as the Evil Queen, so much so that I was kind of rooting for her to defeat Snow White. But the rest of the cast just couldn't pull it off. Granted they didn't have much to work with seeing as the story was so rushed and fragmented. I might have liked Kristen Stewart's performance if she could just learn to close her mouth once in a while, instead of looking like she's perpetually on the verge of puking. And then the climax of the movie just comes out of no where and features a hilariously over the top pep talk that K Stew gives to the soldiers. Not to mention the fact that the last scene following the battle leaves so much unanswered. Overall, it was pretty bad. But if you want to see some impressive visuals, or if you're in love with Charlize Theron, you might just like this. Expand
  80. Jun 1, 2012
    Snow White and the Huntsman turned out to be an unfortunate disappointment. It had its moments---the troll was absolutely fantastic, but its appearance in the movie struck me as being remarkably short---but this film was uneven throughout on every level. It only measured up to the high expectations created by the trailer a handful of times. Certainly not enough times to engage the restlessSnow White and the Huntsman turned out to be an unfortunate disappointment. It had its moments---the troll was absolutely fantastic, but its appearance in the movie struck me as being remarkably short---but this film was uneven throughout on every level. It only measured up to the high expectations created by the trailer a handful of times. Certainly not enough times to engage the restless audience attending the feature I saw. Throughout the movie noticeable numbers of individuals were leaving their seats for one reason or another. That just doesn't happen at a good film. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Tal Rosenberg
    Jun 2, 2012
    The CGI effects are so slick that they undercut the movie's shock value, and the action moves too quickly to instill a real sense of fear, but this is still visually impressive, with spectacular make-up, costumes, and cinematography.
  2. Reviewed by: James Berardinelli
    Jun 1, 2012
    Attempts to inject a little humor via the antics of the dwarves don't work, especially since one of the little people is killed early in the proceedings. No one's going to be singing "Hi ho! Hi ho! It's off to work we go!" after that happens.
  3. Reviewed by: Elizabeth Weitzman
    Jun 1, 2012
    It's Theron who owns this film, imbuing her deliciously depraved Queen with furious pain and deep-seated fear.