Snow White and the Huntsman

6.2

1. Jun 28, 2016
    Not a great film, as it clearly was a way to make a Narnia film without paying the royalties. Though there are some great action sequences, the most laughable part of the script is the mirror telling Charlize Theron that Kristen Stewart is 'fairer' than she is.
  2. May 25, 2016
    Better than expected and has some beautiful scenery throughout. Charlize Theron stole the show, she was remarkable as the Evil Queen.

Watch it here for free: https://www.primewire.ag/watch-2733485-Snow-White-and-the-Huntsman
  3. Apr 4, 2016
    Entertainment can be a tricky thing when it comes to adapting a story into its more true form, and this also goes to taking away some whimsy from the story that is being adapted.

That's what you get from 'Snow White and the Huntsman', directed by Rupert Sanders, while it is a more dark, if not, accurate take on the story of Snow White, it's almost as if he took all life and excitement out of the movie. The movie stars Charlize Theron as Ravenna who was crowned Queen after marrying the father of Snow White. She kills him, and locks Snow White away as a prisoner since her childhood.

Kristen Stewart ('Twilight') plays the role as the title character. I have to admit, I found her to be as bland here as many would say she would be in any movie. I couldn't help but think, what was wrong with someone like Rooney Mara from 'The Social Network' (2010) and the remake of 'The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo' (2011)? She seems to shine better than Stewart in the many roles she plays. Although, I am not sure if it is Stewart's cardboard acting, or maybe the very weak script written by Hossein Amini, Evan Daugherty and John Lee Hancock. She doesn't have much to work with.

Chris Hemsworth ('Thor') plays the Huntsman who at first was given the task from Queen Ravenna to hunt down Snow White and he will be rewarded with seeing his dead wife for the first time. After meeting up with Snow White, he builds a connection with her, and they decide to stick with each other and get out for freedom.

The main issues I had with this movie mainly involve the characters and the pacing. The characters were mainly stock, and I was not emotionally invested as I thought I should be. It doesn't help that Stewart barely smiles which is something that the internet has parodied from time to time. The pacing is off as well, at times it moves fast, then at times it moves slow trying to build tension, but instead builds confusion and boredom.

I never believed the characters' motivations that well, they are all pretty thin soup, Theron is fine as the villainous Queen Ravenna because the actress has that presence, although there are one or two scenes where she shouts in anger, and it feels forced to try and make her character intimidating.

There is also this one scene, in the middle of the movie, where we are introduced to the dwarfs (including Toby Jones, Nick Frost and Ray Winstone among others) and it took me out of the movie mainly because it did hold the movie to a dead stand-still.

While the cinematography by Greig Fraser is absolutely impressive at crafting long, empty woods with the grey sky and fog to build a gruesome and eerie tone, there are some creatures that look way too CGI to the point where it was almost like a cross between the "Star Wars" prequels and the "Harry Potter" creatures.

All in all, this is a well-made adaptation for anyone who loves dark fantasy, but the characters underneath are empty, and almost dull.
  4. Feb 22, 2016
    At first, I never heard anything about this film. I looked back to it... eh... a non-Disney Snow White movie would never work that well. At least don't try making a sequel... otherwise, the score would just get worse.
  5. Dec 19, 2015
    "Snow White and the Huntsman " was an acceptable adaptation of a classic tale only a little explicit and adolescents , but White had to go the most hated in the world ?, that Kristen Stewart is not worth all that is Twilight say that the state as a complete s**t, I keep rather consideration, and that lasecuela improve much . on the cast. But the sequel should be reassured because it is"Snow White and the Huntsman " was an acceptable adaptation of a classic tale only a little explicit and adolescents , but White had to go the most hated in the world ?, that Kristen Stewart is not worth all that is Twilight say that the state as a complete s**t, I keep rather consideration, and that lasecuela improve much . on the cast. But the sequel should be reassured because it is another story and is now Hunter , were saved because they wanted to follow Chris Hemsworth, but it's the same story. Expand
  6. Dec 13, 2015
    With great visuals, good story and actually not that bad acting from Kristen Stewart as i would expect... this movie was overall a nice experience! The ending was kinda disappointing *no spoilers! :D
  7. Nov 26, 2015
    Kristen Stewart is unconvincing in her role as Snow White, in terms of both acting and appearance (fairer than the Charlize Theron? Yeah right.) This film is nowhere near as epic as it pretends to be
  8. Aug 30, 2015
    Yet again, from the minds of Hollywood executives who thinks making an expensive action blockbuster with a story based around a child's tale would hit the jackpot comes "Snow White and the Huntsman", the Snow White-on-steroids film we've all seen before.
  9. Jul 2, 2015
    I enjoyed the movie and it's original twist on this ageless story. The acting was excellent with Charlize Theron as an appallingly wicked **** I meant witch.
  10. Aug 31, 2014
    I certainly enjoyed more than one moment of this film--nearly all of them related to the wonderful performance from Charlize Theron. I could've watched her all night. Unfortunately, she was under-used and the Huntsman received much more screen-time.
  11. Aug 24, 2014
    There should be a rule to forbid Kristen Stewart for being handed leading roles, or being in close-ups; the girl can't act! She has only one facial expression! Already proved in "Twilight" movies, did someone think she would be shocked out of the stupor when glittering vampires vanished? (Or the corporate brains trust that the teenage audience will bring in enough cash just because of herThere should be a rule to forbid Kristen Stewart for being handed leading roles, or being in close-ups; the girl can't act! She has only one facial expression! Already proved in "Twilight" movies, did someone think she would be shocked out of the stupor when glittering vampires vanished? (Or the corporate brains trust that the teenage audience will bring in enough cash just because of her face plastered on big screen.)

The movie is visually awesome, there is no getting around that. It was refreshing to see normal-sized men as dwarves, too, and it took me a while to make out some familiar faces there.

For all the visuals in the world, the characters seemed to have too little to work on, Ms. Stewart is simply horrible and can't convey any kind of emotion, Hemsworth after "Thor" is impressive but sort of drifts away into the corner, and Charlize Theron is impressive but the script and lack of good lines fail her. (And yes, nearer the end this goes, the more horrible the lines all around!)

There are rarely movies that make me laugh when there's nothing to laugh about (in this movie's case it was out of nervousness, sympathy and disbelief, usually when Snow White was in the limelight). I tried to like the movie, and there were good moments, but they never lasted and I can't express it enough that any other member of the female gender would have done a more endearing job as the "fairest of them all".
  12. Jul 25, 2014
    We finally see this classic story with an edgy version. However ,it lacks the twist, adds absolute nothing to the original story and it turns into a long slow paced mess. Kristen Steward is miscast and I cannot see her as Snow White.
  13. Jun 25, 2014
    The movie was actually a pretty good movie for a fairy-tale twist. The casting was excellent, the action was good, and some CGI shots were beautiful and incredible. It was a bit dark and violent compared to the original Snow White and the Seven Dwarves. It might have dark and sad moments but it does have a bright and happy ending.
  14. Jun 3, 2014
    Once the film got pass the heavy introduction part, it actually got pretty interesting and entertaining. Sure, "Snow White and the Huntsman" might have borrowed some stuff from other (and better) fantasy films and if you think about it for a while, you'll see the plot holes, but nevertheless, it was a decent summer popcorn movie and I don't regret seeing it.
  15. May 19, 2014
    Enjoyable movie with great casting and awesome effects. The 7 dwarfs are a who's who of the best character actors around. Charlize is hamming it up, Kristen makes for a pretty and feisty Snow White and it's not a bad effort for a first time director
  16. Apr 18, 2014
    love it, just love it!!! the acting, scenery, body tension and language oh wow i just love it! best film ever!!!!!!!!!! i know some people don't like Kristen Stewart but i love her because the way she only uses a few facial expressions really emphasizes her purity and innocence. The huntsman is such a great character; strong, brave and fearless on the outside but troubled, mournful and haslove it, just love it!!! the acting, scenery, body tension and language oh wow i just love it! best film ever!!!!!!!!!! i know some people don't like Kristen Stewart but i love her because the way she only uses a few facial expressions really emphasizes her purity and innocence. The huntsman is such a great character; strong, brave and fearless on the outside but troubled, mournful and has a need to be loved on the inside. The evil queen is just superb! she is so amazing that even when she isn't speaking you are scared of her! i would recommend this to anybody over the age of 11, no younger because it has quite a dark, gruesome plot with lots of violence and blood loss ha ha ha. but this is by far the best film i have ever seen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Expand
  17. Mar 17, 2014
    I liked the idea and movie very much, Charlize Theron look's amazing as always except one thing... Kristen Stewart she doesn't look like an actress at all. She looked week in this movie, not like a leader, her face is always expressionless and gives the impression of martyrs.
  18. Mar 4, 2014
    Interesting to see a darker adaption to the story, but it fails to deliver in most places. Casting, pacing and script all in the limelight here to name a few. A couple of good scenes dotted here and there, but overall you just get the feeling of being endlessly dragged along scene by scene to an ending that is already extremely well known.
  19. Feb 8, 2014
    "Snow White and the Huntsman" has beautiful costumes and visuals, and is well acted, but lacks originality and consistency. It often feels like it is a mixture of many other ideas that other fantasy films have already used. The lack of detail explanation is frustrating at times as well, but overall, "Snow White and the Huntsman" is still a decent summer blockbuster movie to watch.
  20. Jan 18, 2014
    I'm going to get most of the bad out of the way first. The movie falls woefully short of its true potential. Narratively it's not really satisfying. It didn't quite have the scope it needed, and the way it tried to add in a love triangle annoyed me. It's not really an important or big aspect of the film, but it didn't need to be there at all. Some of the dialogue and supportingI'm going to get most of the bad out of the way first. The movie falls woefully short of its true potential. Narratively it's not really satisfying. It didn't quite have the scope it needed, and the way it tried to add in a love triangle annoyed me. It's not really an important or big aspect of the film, but it didn't need to be there at all. Some of the dialogue and supporting casting choices I didn't really like either. Now on to the good, which is more plentiful than the bad. The choice to create a darker and more adult take on Snow White is a fascinating one. It even occasionally strikes into some stunningly operatic atmospheric tones. I don't know why everyone is complaining about Kristen Stewart being cast as Snow White. She may not have an extremely wide acting range, but she still does fine by me here. Perhaps the most impressive aspects of the film are the visual effects and cinematography. The creatures, hallucinations, and transformations are all very impressive. I'm even starting to wonder if Life of Pi really deserved the visual effects Oscar over it. It all could have very easily been turned into Twilightesque garbage, but for the most part it admirably abandons its sometimes obvious urges to do so. I enjoyed the movie, and I'm willing to bet most other people would too. Still though, I'm hoping for the sequel to be a big improvement. Expand
  21. Nov 3, 2013
    Disappointing. Acting was good (surprisingly Kristen Stewart was decent), and Charlize Theron was particularly excellent. The Huntsman is typecast for Chris and he did a good enough job. Great special effects. The dwarves were okay. I was not very impressed with this film.
  22. Sep 30, 2013
    Interesting twist on an old original This film was much more entertaining than I had expected. Great story, wonderful visuals and the cast worked quite well together.
  23. Aug 11, 2013
    this was a very interesting portrayal of the Disney classic. I didn't think Kirsten Stewart would be very good in this movie but I thought she did alright with her character. I didn't feel very intimidated by the queen. many of the scenes she was in, she was weak and vulnerable. also, the romantic part of the movie was broken.
  24. Aug 5, 2013
    No es una pelicula clara puedo llegar que fue tiempo perdido pero almenos tiene trayectoria y es entendible, las cosas salen mas o menos pero no es mala
  25. Jul 21, 2013
    More of 2 hs missed in this boring crap, also the main character is a skinny ugly one, thumbs down, don't waste your precious time...if you want to see a fantasie movie go to Red Riding Hood
  26. Jul 20, 2013
    Snow White and the Huntsman is a great old-fashioned fantasy adventure film in the same vein as Willow. These films are hard to come by these days (discounting the Lord of the Rings juggernaut, of course), so it's refreshing to see that they're still being made. This Snow White interpretation is simply great fun to watch. The only downer; Chris Hemsworth's AWFUL Scottish accent. Oh dear...
  27. Jul 14, 2013
    An awesome fantasy epic film that has an interesting twist on the classic story. I really enjoyed the cinematography, the interestingly fresh script, the direction, the visuals (the best of the film I'd say), the acting (yes, I like Kristen Stewart- get over it), the music and the set designs. They really tried hard with this film, while it is darker, I personally really enjoyed thisAn awesome fantasy epic film that has an interesting twist on the classic story. I really enjoyed the cinematography, the interestingly fresh script, the direction, the visuals (the best of the film I'd say), the acting (yes, I like Kristen Stewart- get over it), the music and the set designs. They really tried hard with this film, while it is darker, I personally really enjoyed this film and it is a great fantasy film that does deserve a sequel. Expand
  28. Jun 17, 2013
    Great visuals Charlize Theron stole the show
    the story as we know it is so fresh and timeless Kristen Stewart is so talentless she can't even fake a smile Chris Hemsworth was good
  29. Jun 7, 2013
    Whatever. Kristen Stewart is painful to watch. She couldn't act her way out of a box. Charlize Theron is great as the queen and is truly insane and tragic, the best part of the film is watching her come undone. Theron seems to have a knack for these kinds of roles. It's just not engaging enough though. It's full of cliche', cheeseball moments that only a high school sophomore could findWhatever. Kristen Stewart is painful to watch. She couldn't act her way out of a box. Charlize Theron is great as the queen and is truly insane and tragic, the best part of the film is watching her come undone. Theron seems to have a knack for these kinds of roles. It's just not engaging enough though. It's full of cliche', cheeseball moments that only a high school sophomore could find entertaining. The soundtrack may as well have been a H.I.M. record. It's sad that this was Bob Hoskins last film. The dwarfs were pretty well done! Overall it's not a memorable movie. It's just without substance. The moral of the film is arresting and oppressive. I was hoping Theron would triumph and continue her jaded reign over her bleak little kingdom of annoying dwarfs and cliche' prince charmings, but alas, that's not how the fairy tale goes! Entirely forgettable. Expand
  30. May 29, 2013
    A never dull reinvention of the classic tale of the fairest one of all, Snow White. But also an interesting and darkened twist on the world surrounding her. This is also quite a positive step away for leading actress Kristen Stewart, proving her capability outside of the Twilight storm clouds.
    When the beautiful yet evil Queen Ravenna (Charlize Theron) ransacks kingdom after kingdom to maintain her youth and to lay waste to those who not only stand against her, but the men of the world who she sees as 'using' women to better themselves, until they are of no use. She then consumes all the youth and purity of the young women in the kingdom for her to be told by her mystical mirror that she is 'the "the fairest of them all".
    But when Snow White comes of age, that very mirror soon changes its tone, to the disbelief of the Queen, but our fairest lady manages to escape her clutches, but also retreats into the Dark Forest, the most wild and unpredictable of places, where only one man has travelled and came back, Eric the Huntsman (Chris Hemsworth), a drunk but sorrowful man in the hands of self-destruction after losing his wife.
    The tale of course has been given a drastic makeover but only to tell a more gritty and sombre story, and combined with some glorious set pieces and even some surprisingly great acting, an enjoyable story is told.
    Kristen Stewart delivers a very different yet effective performance, in the Twilight films she made it all about her, without seeming to care about those around her, a writing ploy and not the actresses fault, but here she definitely puts across someone who cares for everything around her, leading everyone astray with her charm and her undeniable beauty.
    Chris Hemsworth takes a break from being the God of Thunder and decides to protect Snow White, his characters determination and heart all shine through when he is protecting a woman he was sent to capture. The dwarves also make an appearance in a different way as a band of misfits on the road, all telling the bigger picture of a retelling of a classic story.
    It has a riveting and epic finale, and with other stars including Ian McShane, Ray Winstone and Sam Claflin, Snow White and the Huntsman is an excellent fantasy tale with wit, grown up tendencies and excellent scenes of wonderful battle, all while maintaining its classic roots.

1. Reviewed by: Tal Rosenberg
    Jun 2, 2012
    The CGI effects are so slick that they undercut the movie's shock value, and the action moves too quickly to instill a real sense of fear, but this is still visually impressive, with spectacular make-up, costumes, and cinematography.
  2. Reviewed by: James Berardinelli
    Jun 1, 2012
    Attempts to inject a little humor via the antics of the dwarves don't work, especially since one of the little people is killed early in the proceedings. No one's going to be singing "Hi ho! Hi ho! It's off to work we go!" after that happens.
  3. Reviewed by: Elizabeth Weitzman
    Jun 1, 2012
    It's Theron who owns this film, imbuing her deliciously depraved Queen with furious pain and deep-seated fear.