Snow White and the Huntsman

6.2

1. Jun 5, 2012
    This dark version of the classic tale stars Charlize Theron as the powerful and creepy queen. She gets her enduring power from the blood of beautiful women and Kristen Stewart is the most beautiful. A coarse hunter (Chris Hemsworth) is enlisted to do the dirty work. This is a visually sumptuous film that starts with ominous, potent storytelling. By the middle, the pacing bogs down with tooThis dark version of the classic tale stars Charlize Theron as the powerful and creepy queen. She gets her enduring power from the blood of beautiful women and Kristen Stewart is the most beautiful. A coarse hunter (Chris Hemsworth) is enlisted to do the dirty work. This is a visually sumptuous film that starts with ominous, potent storytelling. By the middle, the pacing bogs down with too much drama and romance, but it manages to work it's way back by the end. Theron is formidable, but Stewart is pretty flat. Despite the flaws, this film is full of rich and inventive imagery. Expand
  2. Aug 31, 2014
    I certainly enjoyed more than one moment of this film--nearly all of them related to the wonderful performance from Charlize Theron. I could've watched her all night. Unfortunately, she was under-used and the Huntsman received much more screen-time.
  3. Nov 1, 2012
    I wasn't honestly expecting much with this movie. It was just another re-imagining of the classic snow white tale, except this time darker. I've never been much into that kind of thing, I mean why mess with the classics? The movie really bored me, and I really just couldn't wait for it to be over. I do have one aspect to praise, and that's the ending. Most movies like this would have hadI wasn't honestly expecting much with this movie. It was just another re-imagining of the classic snow white tale, except this time darker. I've never been much into that kind of thing, I mean why mess with the classics? The movie really bored me, and I really just couldn't wait for it to be over. I do have one aspect to praise, and that's the ending. Most movies like this would have had it the usual romantic ending between the Huntsman and Snow White, but thankfully it did not and gave us a perfectly good conclusion that's out of the norm. I can't bring myself to recommend this to anyone, but I know this movie will find it's audience/fans, I'm just not one of them. Expand
  4. Nov 28, 2012
    It has a few very memorable performances and some stunning visuals, but it ultimately suffers a great deal from its uninspired lead character and a hefty amount of plot contrivances.
  5. Jan 27, 2013
    Snow White and the Huntsman is an enjoyable film that is shot brilliantly with some excellent music. The movie can be a bit dumb at times and hard to understand. The main issue is the terrible acting of Kristen Stewart.
  6. Jul 25, 2015
    The film looks great and has some fine set pieces - Hemsworth and Theron do wonders for the cast. However, Stewart was a poor choice of a lead due to her severe lack of an acting ability. Also the story was far too confusing and poorly done. It just made a mess of what should have been a pretty good film. It's not bad but it doesn't live up to the potential.
  7. Jan 27, 2013
    Highlights include the visual aspect. Negatives include just about everything else. The acting was dreadful, the movie was slow and boring, and the script was weak.
  8. Jul 20, 2013
    Snow White and the Huntsman is a great old-fashioned fantasy adventure film in the same vein as Willow. These films are hard to come by these days (discounting the Lord of the Rings juggernaut, of course), so it's refreshing to see that they're still being made. This Snow White interpretation is simply great fun to watch. The only downer; Chris Hemsworth's AWFUL Scottish accent. Oh dear...
  9. Jun 21, 2012
    While a far better film than Mirror Mirror (which I had to walk out of), Snow White fails to live up to the very stylish and cool initial 30 minutes or so. Slogging through the Forrest gets a little old, and the 2nd half of the movie in general is little bloated. And I hated the ending.
  10. Jun 20, 2012
    Out of all the live-action Snow White adaptions, I don't think i've watched any that are nearly as good as this one. You'll get great performances from most of the lead actors and the cgi is nice too. Even if there is occasionally unintentional humor, the story really works.
  11. Aug 24, 2014
    There should be a rule to forbid Kristen Stewart for being handed leading roles, or being in close-ups; the girl can't act! She has only one facial expression! Already proved in "Twilight" movies, did someone think she would be shocked out of the stupor when glittering vampires vanished? (Or the corporate brains trust that the teenage audience will bring in enough cash just because of herThere should be a rule to forbid Kristen Stewart for being handed leading roles, or being in close-ups; the girl can't act! She has only one facial expression! Already proved in "Twilight" movies, did someone think she would be shocked out of the stupor when glittering vampires vanished? (Or the corporate brains trust that the teenage audience will bring in enough cash just because of her face plastered on big screen.)

The movie is visually awesome, there is no getting around that. It was refreshing to see normal-sized men as dwarves, too, and it took me a while to make out some familiar faces there.

For all the visuals in the world, the characters seemed to have too little to work on, Ms. Stewart is simply horrible and can't convey any kind of emotion, Hemsworth after "Thor" is impressive but sort of drifts away into the corner, and Charlize Theron is impressive but the script and lack of good lines fail her. (And yes, nearer the end this goes, the more horrible the lines all around!)

There are rarely movies that make me laugh when there's nothing to laugh about (in this movie's case it was out of nervousness, sympathy and disbelief, usually when Snow White was in the limelight). I tried to like the movie, and there were good moments, but they never lasted and I can't express it enough that any other member of the female gender would have done a more endearing job as the "fairest of them all".
  12. Jul 22, 2012
    Breathtaking sets, beautiful costumes, and dazzling visual effects are enough to create a competent and entertaining fairy tale adaptation. It is let down by a disappointing and somewhat unthrilling final act. Its dark tone and Charlize Theron epic and totally evil portrayal of the Evil Queen make it sort of level out with its flaws, but the pure spectacle will leave you enchanted. ThisBreathtaking sets, beautiful costumes, and dazzling visual effects are enough to create a competent and entertaining fairy tale adaptation. It is let down by a disappointing and somewhat unthrilling final act. Its dark tone and Charlize Theron epic and totally evil portrayal of the Evil Queen make it sort of level out with its flaws, but the pure spectacle will leave you enchanted. This adaptation of the classic fairytale "Snow White" makes Mirror Mirror incompetent of being a movie. I give this movie 67%. Expand
  13. Dec 5, 2012
    Good film, not as unique as I had hoped, but average isn't always such a terrible thing. Interesting style and attractive visuals. Charlize Theron steals the show, and saves the movie.
  14. May 29, 2013
    A never dull reinvention of the classic tale of the fairest one of all, Snow White. But also an interesting and darkened twist on the world surrounding her. This is also quite a positive step away for leading actress Kristen Stewart, proving her capability outside of the Twilight storm clouds.
    When the beautiful yet evil Queen Ravenna (Charlize Theron) ransacks kingdom after kingdom to maintain her youth and to lay waste to those who not only stand against her, but the men of the world who she sees as 'using' women to better themselves, until they are of no use. She then consumes all the youth and purity of the young women in the kingdom for her to be told by her mystical mirror that she is 'the "the fairest of them all".
    But when Snow White comes of age, that very mirror soon changes its tone, to the disbelief of the Queen, but our fairest lady manages to escape her clutches, but also retreats into the Dark Forest, the most wild and unpredictable of places, where only one man has travelled and came back, Eric the Huntsman (Chris Hemsworth), a drunk but sorrowful man in the hands of self-destruction after losing his wife.
    The tale of course has been given a drastic makeover but only to tell a more gritty and sombre story, and combined with some glorious set pieces and even some surprisingly great acting, an enjoyable story is told.
    Kristen Stewart delivers a very different yet effective performance, in the Twilight films she made it all about her, without seeming to care about those around her, a writing ploy and not the actresses fault, but here she definitely puts across someone who cares for everything around her, leading everyone astray with her charm and her undeniable beauty.
    Chris Hemsworth takes a break from being the God of Thunder and decides to protect Snow White, his characters determination and heart all shine through when he is protecting a woman he was sent to capture. The dwarves also make an appearance in a different way as a band of misfits on the road, all telling the bigger picture of a retelling of a classic story.
    It has a riveting and epic finale, and with other stars including Ian McShane, Ray Winstone and Sam Claflin, Snow White and the Huntsman is an excellent fantasy tale with wit, grown up tendencies and excellent scenes of wonderful battle, all while maintaining its classic roots.
  15. Nov 29, 2012
    This was a good movie and it was really well done. The effects were impressive, the acting was really good, and the character and plot developed well. Kristen Stewart did a great job, granted this film was right down her alley. She's grown from that dorky little kid in Panic Room to become a beautiful young woman with decent acting chops. I'm interested to see how she fares outside of herThis was a good movie and it was really well done. The effects were impressive, the acting was really good, and the character and plot developed well. Kristen Stewart did a great job, granted this film was right down her alley. She's grown from that dorky little kid in Panic Room to become a beautiful young woman with decent acting chops. I'm interested to see how she fares outside of her comfort zone though. This character was a lot like her Twilight character... dark, dry, and dramatic. I wonder how she'll perform, now that Twilight is ending, in more diverse roles. Chris Hemsworth also did a great job as usual. He continues to impress. If he gets a few marquee roles over the next several years (no, Thor would not be one, lol), he could become this generation's Mel Gibson or someone along those lines. The only major criticism I had is that I can't stand all the magical mumbo jumbo. Obviously it wouldn't be a Snow White movie without it so I'm not holding that against the movie with regards to the rating but I really wish they would've gone for a more realistic approach to the film. Still, it was an entertaining movie that was done well. Expand
  16. Sep 22, 2012
    I do not know what possessed me to think that this would be something worth watching, however having seen it I must admit that it was wonderfully directed with stunning visuals and soundtrack alike. Theron is delightful as Ravenna.
  17. Jun 10, 2012
    I have to give this film a pass. Charlize Theron and Chris Hemsworth were very good. Kristen Stewart was passable, but she does tend to have a pouty, mean look on her face most of the movie. I'm trying to remember if I ever saw her smile. I liked that the film kept a very dark, violent tone throughout. There weren't any slow moments for me, but the movie is very predictable from sceneI have to give this film a pass. Charlize Theron and Chris Hemsworth were very good. Kristen Stewart was passable, but she does tend to have a pouty, mean look on her face most of the movie. I'm trying to remember if I ever saw her smile. I liked that the film kept a very dark, violent tone throughout. There weren't any slow moments for me, but the movie is very predictable from scene to scene. The CGI throughout was very good. The Troll, Dwarfs, and Pixies in particular looked great. The mirror had the voice of Darth Vader which was pretty jarring. The dwarfs were apparently played by average sized people as I recognized Ian McShane and Bob Hoskins, but they did a great job of making them look the part. I would have rated the film higher, but it did have two of my biggest pet peeves. 1. Many characters have a heavy accent making them hard to understand. 2. Every battle scene had the dreaded moving camera so you couldn't see what was happening. I have gotten to the point where I don't even watch when they apply this technique. This film was much better than the dreadful "Mirror Mirror" from earlier this year. Collapse
  18. Sep 24, 2012
    Thanks to this movie Snow White to become an action movie and suspense. Do not think that is a kind movie Twilight, because it is not. I recommend it to people under 18.
  19. Jun 1, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Snow White and the Huntsman, ok we meet the Snow White story, and this year we have other Snow White (in Mirror Mirror with Collins like Snow White), but this version is better than Mirror Mirror. The story have some interesting changes, that do a good version. The performances are good, but the problem is that Charlize Theron do a better job than Kristen Stewart, and if Kristen have the principal character, she need be better; Chris Hemsworth good performance. The effects are amazing, the battles are really interesting and awesome. Other problem is the next, who person think that Kristen Stewart is most beutiful than Charlize Theron? (really). Great movie, funny, interesting, can't be a classic, but is a good movie of this year, and yeas, is better than Mirror Mirror. Expand
  20. May 4, 2013
    I heard some bad stuff about this movie, but it was actually pretty good. I like any movie that takes you to another world and it did just that for me.
  21. Jan 18, 2014
    I'm going to get most of the bad out of the way first. The movie falls woefully short of its true potential. Narratively it's not really satisfying. It didn't quite have the scope it needed, and the way it tried to add in a love triangle annoyed me. It's not really an important or big aspect of the film, but it didn't need to be there at all. Some of the dialogue and supportingI'm going to get most of the bad out of the way first. The movie falls woefully short of its true potential. Narratively it's not really satisfying. It didn't quite have the scope it needed, and the way it tried to add in a love triangle annoyed me. It's not really an important or big aspect of the film, but it didn't need to be there at all. Some of the dialogue and supporting casting choices I didn't really like either. Now on to the good, which is more plentiful than the bad. The choice to create a darker and more adult take on Snow White is a fascinating one. It even occasionally strikes into some stunningly operatic atmospheric tones. I don't know why everyone is complaining about Kristen Stewart being cast as Snow White. She may not have an extremely wide acting range, but she still does fine by me here. Perhaps the most impressive aspects of the film are the visual effects and cinematography. The creatures, hallucinations, and transformations are all very impressive. I'm even starting to wonder if Life of Pi really deserved the visual effects Oscar over it. It all could have very easily been turned into Twilightesque garbage, but for the most part it admirably abandons its sometimes obvious urges to do so. I enjoyed the movie, and I'm willing to bet most other people would too. Still though, I'm hoping for the sequel to be a big improvement. Expand
  22. Apr 20, 2013
    A film that relies very heavily on special effects and I think it’s because of this that it doesn’t quite work. I never see it as a good sign when there are more than two writers and there are three in this case. I generally means that the studio has had more than a passing interest in the mechanics of the storytelling (never a good sign). What you end up with (as in this case) is a filmA film that relies very heavily on special effects and I think it’s because of this that it doesn’t quite work. I never see it as a good sign when there are more than two writers and there are three in this case. I generally means that the studio has had more than a passing interest in the mechanics of the storytelling (never a good sign). What you end up with (as in this case) is a film that looks very good, but usually has little, or no, substance. Yes, Charlize Theron is pretty good as the evil queen, as is Chris Hemsworth as The Huntsman; sadly the same cannot be said of Kristen Stewart. Don’t get me wrong, I rate her as an actress but she just doesn’t have the screen presence to carry off this role. I give her full marks for effort, but, for me at least, it didn’t quite work. Over all, the film only got interesting when the dwarves turned up and that was an hour into it. I think for the sequel (yes there’s a sequel in the works) they’ll have to put a lot more work into telling the story and a little less into making it look good on screen.

SteelMonster’s verdict: RECOMMENDED (…but only just)

My score: 5.8/10
  23. Jun 3, 2012
    This wasn't a perfect film, but most every movie isn't. Snow white and the Huntsman was definitely worth the admission. It had a few cheesy lines and cliche moments, just a couple flaws in the writing, but overally this was a very entertaining film. In my opinion Kristin Stewart wasn't the star of this film although shes the title character. Charlize Theron made this movie what it was. AtThis wasn't a perfect film, but most every movie isn't. Snow white and the Huntsman was definitely worth the admission. It had a few cheesy lines and cliche moments, just a couple flaws in the writing, but overally this was a very entertaining film. In my opinion Kristin Stewart wasn't the star of this film although shes the title character. Charlize Theron made this movie what it was. At times this film was bone-chilling due to Theron's perfect job at portraying the evil Queen. She did an amazing job and she made the film. Kristin Stewart was ok. I'm not a Stewart fan by any means, she just seems like a wooden actress, shes good when her job involves doing nothing, but when it comes to big acting moments she just doesn't shine like she should. Chris Hemsworth was funny, tough, and bada$$. The biggest thing i loved about this film was the perfect balance between action, story, and chracter development. It was veryyy well done, and the story was great overall. Speaking of the action, it was pulse-pounding and very entertaining, obviously centered around Hemsworth. The special effects were beautiful. Gorgeous visuals throughout the film. Overall Snow White and the Huntsmen was fun, action packed, beautiful, and it delivers exactly what you are looking for when you go to the theater, entertainment. 7.5/10 Worth the admission. Expand
  24. Jun 5, 2012
    Maybe Snow White and the Huntsman looks promising for dark fairy tale entry, but it's undone by uneven acting, problematic pacing, and a confused script.
  25. Jul 10, 2012
    Just a failed attempt to capture the classic fairy tale . With a unworthy script and Kristen's bad acting this adaption of snow white just doesn't work . The Direction was even and the special effects were amazing . But still there were so many Negativity . Therons look and style was the Perfect Witch but coz of bad dialogues her character just kept falling and falling . Chris was theJust a failed attempt to capture the classic fairy tale . With a unworthy script and Kristen's bad acting this adaption of snow white just doesn't work . The Direction was even and the special effects were amazing . But still there were so many Negativity . Therons look and style was the Perfect Witch but coz of bad dialogues her character just kept falling and falling . Chris was the perfect choice as the Huntsman he did good but as soon as the story came out all "Twilight" it was the end of him . Right before the end of the film Kristen's Tough Lady Scenes were the funniest moment in the film . Seriously she cant act at all . The Movie could be a different types of Dark Fairy Tale but coz of that horrible script and Kristen as Snow the movie just doesn't work . Expand
  26. Jun 3, 2012
    Going into this without many expectations (except of Charlize Theron), I was kind of validated at the end. The storyline is decent for what the original story is and it is not as predictable as I thought it'd be. The ending, however, is rather silly, especially the romance part of it. For one, there is ZERO chemistry between the lead actors, which makes the whole romance bit rather weak.Going into this without many expectations (except of Charlize Theron), I was kind of validated at the end. The storyline is decent for what the original story is and it is not as predictable as I thought it'd be. The ending, however, is rather silly, especially the romance part of it. For one, there is ZERO chemistry between the lead actors, which makes the whole romance bit rather weak. To give the film due credit, it never really rests on the romance until the very end, and that's where it heavily fails. Also, the way the witch-queen is defeated is EXTREMELY disappointing. Theron was rather good as the evil witch-queen, but her character was slightly over-reactive and over-the top at the very beginning. She is still, however, by far the best thing in the film. The music and production design are also very good, but that's where the good stuff ends. Hemsworth and Stewart were mediocre at best, and it was quite nice to see Stewart actually smiling a few times. Didn't think she had it in her, but she managed. That being said, she was sorely miscast for the film. She just is not that beautiful, and the whole time I kept on asking myself "Really, would Charlize be jealous/threatened by Kristen" and the answer was always a defying NO. So, that made no sense to me with the casting. Overall, though, the film was entertaining. I didn't really lose interest in it at any point, but there was nothing new or refreshing that the film brought, except another good performance by Theron. She was definitely the best thing about the film, and after a few months, probably the only thing I will retain from it. Expand
  27. Oct 8, 2012
    While 'Snow White and the Huntsman' is certainly more distinctive, original, and enjoyable than this years' previous Snow White adaptation, 'Mirror Mirror', the movie is inconsistent tonally and features some very odd performances from its cast. Charlize Theron goes overboard as the evil queen Ravenna, most of the film going from screaming one second to being silent with trembling fury theWhile 'Snow White and the Huntsman' is certainly more distinctive, original, and enjoyable than this years' previous Snow White adaptation, 'Mirror Mirror', the movie is inconsistent tonally and features some very odd performances from its cast. Charlize Theron goes overboard as the evil queen Ravenna, most of the film going from screaming one second to being silent with trembling fury the next, and Kristen Stewart undersells her Snow White with barely any screen presence, making her come off as mild. When these two forces of nature collide, the result is unengaging. There is also an attempt at romance between Stewart and Hemsworth which feels as fake as the appearance of the seven dwarves, as portrayed by Ray Winstone and Nick Frost among others. There are some moments of visual bliss though, including the re-invention of the mirror-on-the-wall and a lush sequence involving various different forest creatures, and the overall dark tone to the fairy tale is nice, somewhat reminiscent of 'Pan's Labarynth'. But don't mistake the overall tone and dark style of 'Snow White and the Huntsman' for the movie itself. If anything, it's a visually gorgeous misfire. Expand
  28. Sep 11, 2012
    I don't usually like fairy tales, because they all have the same concept and everything gets well in the end which is exactly like what happened in this film but here are the number of reasons why I actually liked it. 1) The dark side of the classic fairy tales, I mean, come on, who on earth would have thought about that? I really liked the idea that the film incorporated that dark twistI don't usually like fairy tales, because they all have the same concept and everything gets well in the end which is exactly like what happened in this film but here are the number of reasons why I actually liked it. 1) The dark side of the classic fairy tales, I mean, come on, who on earth would have thought about that? I really liked the idea that the film incorporated that dark twist which can be enjoyed by both children and adults. 2) Outstanding production design, great cinematography and fascinating visual effects, which really made me feel like wishing I were there. The Sanctuary is phenomenal, every creature expression is flawless.The Dark Forest is astonishing, the opposite of the Sanctuary, for every beauty there is an unpleasant side, and it feels that life is a threat to it. 3) Charlize Theron and Chris Hemsworth's performances. Too powerful and worth appreciating. 4) Strong and near-to-clever screenplay.
    Here are some negative points about this film. 1) Kristen Stewart CAN NOT act! She's one of the most boring actors on this planet. Same expressions, same expressions everywhere. If she had acted any good, this film would have been a bit better. I really wish the casting director had chosen somebody else instead of her. 2) The screenplay was good BUT, there were some tiny mistakes though and it wasn't made clear at the time and a few things happened really fast, but in fact, they should have been explained properly.
    In short, this film proved to be better than my expectations. I would really like to add something here as well. I don't know if the storyline of this film varies with original fairy tale and I don't really care about that because I am not really interested in them. I watched this film for the sole reason of it having a dark and evil side, and that's enough for me. I would recommend this film to you, because it never really bores you or something except the scenes in which only Kristen Stewart is present (LOL).
  29. Jun 1, 2012
    I will start with the main course: Charlize Theron, Oscar nomination please! his performance was incredible, masterful, his eyes struck, passed all the witch felt, that was the best! as clear that his good soundtrack, spectacular special effects, the picture was very good, so the movie was in all its flavor. Kirstin Stewart Nothing more! the role he was too big, not I bring nothing, Charlize ate!
  30. Nov 4, 2012
    The bad: You'll find many things borrowed from Game of Thrones and LOTR. The good: outstanding special effects, a magnet performance from Theron, and an interesting and dark take on the tale.
  31. Jun 10, 2012
    Despite the uneven pacing, which was quite significant, this film is actually very good. It is dark and menacing - but that's what it's supposed to be. Considering the feature length animation around the 30's or 40's was not supposed to be a blissful fairytale, the recreation of this famous tale is exquisitely well acted and accurately portrayed. Some elements of the film were quiteDespite the uneven pacing, which was quite significant, this film is actually very good. It is dark and menacing - but that's what it's supposed to be. Considering the feature length animation around the 30's or 40's was not supposed to be a blissful fairytale, the recreation of this famous tale is exquisitely well acted and accurately portrayed. Some elements of the film were quite disturbing, but the light-heartedness of the dwarves helped to provide a few laughs and the sweetness of the music and especially the scenery of the Sanctuary added a bit more spirit to the mixture. Also, Kristen Stewart has a very notable role in this film despite her criticism for her role in the Twilight films. Expand
  32. Aug 5, 2013
    No es una pelicula clara puedo llegar que fue tiempo perdido pero almenos tiene trayectoria y es entendible, las cosas salen mas o menos pero no es mala
  33. Sep 18, 2012
    This is the third Snow of the year, if you count the television series, Once Upon a Time. In the TV series, we have Lana Parrilla as the evil Queen with magical powers, who starts out as a normal teenager, but because of life events becomes a complex psychological character, driven by grief and despair into the shadows of the dark powers. Julia Roberts takes up the evil Queen in Mirror,This is the third Snow of the year, if you count the television series, Once Upon a Time. In the TV series, we have Lana Parrilla as the evil Queen with magical powers, who starts out as a normal teenager, but because of life events becomes a complex psychological character, driven by grief and despair into the shadows of the dark powers. Julia Roberts takes up the evil Queen in Mirror, Mirror, which follows the traditional fairy tale with a lot of spoofing and exaggeration that cannot be taken very seriously. Now we have Charlize Theron as the evil Queen, and as far as evil queens go, she is truly over the top. She might have been normal as a small child, but was endowed by her mother with magical powers at a young age under vaguely stressful circumstances that are never properly explained. After her conversion, there is no turning back. She is the archetypical Evil One, whose sole objective is to "give this world the Queen it deserves." Like the villain in most cartoons, she just wants to take over the whole world because she is infested with evil, and evil must prevail, no matter what. A good part of this movie is a classical "chase movie" like Mel Gibson's Apocalypto. Snow White is imprisoned, she escapes, and she is chased by the Queen's army and then specifically by the Huntsman, who falls in love with her. But she is also protected by her childhood love, William, the duke's son, who gave her up for dead, and then comes to her rescue when he realizes she is alive and being hunted. The rivalry between these two swains is never mentioned; Snow White never expresses any preference for either and there are no love scenes. Who will win her hand after Good conquers Evil is a loose end that never gets tied up. The chase takes us into the Dark Forest, with dead birds, snakes, dead trees, and a troll. Then we meet the eight dwarves, soon to be seven, and yes, they should have hired the real thing instead of using camera tricks, because how else are these petite actors going to find employment? The dwarves take Snow White and the huntsman into Fairyland--this is the land of Nature and Good Spirits. The fairies are tiny creatures that ride turtles and hide under bird wings. Then the Great Spirit appears in the form of a white stag. He blesses Snow White for being the purest spirit of them all, but never speaks, unlike Aslan in Narnia. When the chase is finally over, unlike other chase movies, this movie continues. Snow White is welcomed at the castle of the good Duke, whose son has helped to rescue her. She was told she must inspire others. Thus, she becomes a Jeanne d'Arc who rallies the troops and leads them into battle, even though she has said earlier in the film she could never even wield a knife. Kristen Stewart is an unconventional Snow White--her hair is not as black as ebony, her skin is not as white as snow, and her lips are not as red as blood; nevertheless, she is still an effective Snow White, but with missed opportunities for confusion about romance, true anger about her father's death, and true heroism in battle. Theron also is denied the complexity of having feelings for anyone but her brother, and it's not clear she likes him either. The Huntsman is a very good-looking Australian with eyes that are blue enough to qualify him to replace Mel Gibson as the national export. In spite of the flaws, the film is visually enticing as it takes the viewer deeper and deeper into the forest, leading us onward with tension and suspense, but ultimately letting us down. Snow White is finally Queen, but again, an opportunity for complicated and nuanced emotions is missed. Expand
  34. Sep 11, 2012
    First of all: congrats to the DP, Colorist and VFX artists coz this film looks great! The film starts of pretty good but in the middle the pace drops to a grinding halt and it all becomes quite slow and boring up until the end batle which is nicely done. One problem is that you can't quite emotionally connect with the characters so you give very little about what happens to them. TheyFirst of all: congrats to the DP, Colorist and VFX artists coz this film looks great! The film starts of pretty good but in the middle the pace drops to a grinding halt and it all becomes quite slow and boring up until the end batle which is nicely done. One problem is that you can't quite emotionally connect with the characters so you give very little about what happens to them. They tried to make the fairytale gritier and darker and visually it works but the story still feels a bit mediocre and it doesn't build up very well. Nice to look at but you won't feel urged to see it again... Expand
  35. Nov 12, 2012
    Typical in ways, and largely predictable. Basically this is the same lazy, uninspired, cliched, dime a dozen thoughtlessness that comes annually with high-budget Hollywood productions. But, if you ask me, that's not as bad as it sounds. It looks cool, it's exciting and everyone is beautiful. As shallow as it may sound, I like those things. Sue me.
  36. Jun 1, 2012
    The visual effects are stunning, and Charlize Theron is her usual brilliant self, but the rest of the film seemed a bit stale to me. Kristen Stewie is not worthy of the mantle of "Fairest in the Land." She's not ugly by any means, but seriously falls short of Charlize. Stewie might do well in a ninth grade theater production, but she struggles terribly on the big screen. Watch this oneThe visual effects are stunning, and Charlize Theron is her usual brilliant self, but the rest of the film seemed a bit stale to me. Kristen Stewie is not worthy of the mantle of "Fairest in the Land." She's not ugly by any means, but seriously falls short of Charlize. Stewie might do well in a ninth grade theater production, but she struggles terribly on the big screen. Watch this one dvd, illegally download it, or skip it all together. Don't pay too much to watch this mediocre fairytale that has been speckled with a few brief shining moments. Expand
  37. Jul 22, 2012
    He could come out a good movie because it is technically well done. Too bad that Stewart as Snow White (character who was supposed to carry the good, the sweetness, innocence) has almost ruined everything with his expressionless. Thank goodness there was Charlize Theron that saved the movie with his incredible performance at the Queen.
  38. Jul 14, 2013
    An awesome fantasy epic film that has an interesting twist on the classic story. I really enjoyed the cinematography, the interestingly fresh script, the direction, the visuals (the best of the film I'd say), the acting (yes, I like Kristen Stewart- get over it), the music and the set designs. They really tried hard with this film, while it is darker, I personally really enjoyed thisAn awesome fantasy epic film that has an interesting twist on the classic story. I really enjoyed the cinematography, the interestingly fresh script, the direction, the visuals (the best of the film I'd say), the acting (yes, I like Kristen Stewart- get over it), the music and the set designs. They really tried hard with this film, while it is darker, I personally really enjoyed this film and it is a great fantasy film that does deserve a sequel. Expand
  39. Jan 31, 2013
    In this dark re-telling of the classic fairy tale, Snow White escapes the grasps of the evil Queen Ravenna after her father's kingdom is thwarted, and it will be up to the young Princess who is pure of heart to amass the forces of good against her wicked stepmother. Or so it would seem... It is difficult to tell exactly what is going on throughout the threadbare plot in SNOW WHITE AND THEIn this dark re-telling of the classic fairy tale, Snow White escapes the grasps of the evil Queen Ravenna after her father's kingdom is thwarted, and it will be up to the young Princess who is pure of heart to amass the forces of good against her wicked stepmother. Or so it would seem... It is difficult to tell exactly what is going on throughout the threadbare plot in SNOW WHITE AND THE HUNTSMAN. Sure, it looks pretty, but the big-budget special effects cannot hide the fact that SNOW WHITE makes very few attempts at telling a compelling story. Kristen Stewart stars as our slack-jawed and angst-ridden heroine (if you can call her that). Snow White spends the majority of the film fleeing through the woods with the aid of The Hunstman (Chris Hemsworth), before suddenly and confusingly becoming the leader of a major rebellion against The Queen. The term 'contrived' receives a whole new meaning in the film's brisk 2-hour run time. Charlize Theron is given a few moments to shine as Ravenna, but if any praise is due at all, it must be given to the set designers, who have brilliantly dressed everything from the brooding castles to the enchanted forests. SNOW WHITE AND THE HUNTSMAN provides enough eye-candy to 'wow' most fantasy fans, but THE LORD OF THE RINGS this is not. Expand
  40. Oct 4, 2012
    Everyone knows the story of Snow White. And we are presented with a darker, more violent twist on the fairy tale that could have been an excellent film. But in the end, it was just silly.
  41. Oct 28, 2012
    To be honest, I thought the movie was a little boring. It was okay, but the action was slow and the plot was too rushed, hard to keep track of, and just plain boring. This isn't even as close to as good as something like Alice in Wonderland. I think it was a disappointment.
  42. Nov 3, 2013
    Disappointing. Acting was good (surprisingly Kristen Stewart was decent), and Charlize Theron was particularly excellent. The Huntsman is typecast for Chris and he did a good enough job. Great special effects. The dwarves were okay. I was not very impressed with this film.
  43. Nov 30, 2012
    "Snow White and the Huntsman" is a surprisingly impressive and engaging take on the classic fairy tale. To start with, the performances are all fun to watch - even Kristen Stewart, who has a bad mark in my book for becoming popular through "Twilight", did a decent job as Snow White. Most seem to ridicule her lack of acting talent, but here her quieter and admittedly somewhat vacant White"Snow White and the Huntsman" is a surprisingly impressive and engaging take on the classic fairy tale. To start with, the performances are all fun to watch - even Kristen Stewart, who has a bad mark in my book for becoming popular through "Twilight", did a decent job as Snow White. Most seem to ridicule her lack of acting talent, but here her quieter and admittedly somewhat vacant White works in the film's context. Charlize Theron also delivers a wickedly fun performance as the vain and evil Queen Ravenna, and Chris Hemsworth is his usual "Thor" self, though it is not as entertaining in this movie. As for the plotwriting, it's actually pretty good, and sufficiently amps you up for the inevitable final battle at the end.

However, the film's true strength and magic lie in its visuals. This movie is simply gorgeous to look at, start to finish, and is a real cinematic achievement in CGI and art direction. The fairy forest in particular is the most dazzling and mesmerizing setpiece of the whole film, yet even the darker and gothic throne room of the Queen is of equally wonderful design. There are some truly memorable images to be had here, and when combined with the film's unexpectedly good acting and storytelling, you get a delightful and beautiful artwork of a movie.

So overall, there's certainly more here for the visually-inclined rather than the Oscar-winning story seekers - but that is more than enough to earn this movie a firm recommendation in my book. It's dark, it's passionate, and it's pure fun to watch.
  44. Jul 11, 2012
    Really good re-imagining of a fairy tail. Good action flick. A little too graphic for young kids. Took my 12 year old who enjoyed it. (Though I'm glad we didn't see it before bedtime!) Charlize Theron makes a pretty great wicked step mother. Kristen Stewart as rebellious teen consorting with the undead... yup. Princess and "fairest of them all"... not so much.
  45. Mar 2, 2013
    I can imagine the studio pitch; "imagine Snow White meets The Lord of the Rings!" "Perfect! We'll make it!" The result is middle of the road, boring, liberally pilfers from numerous sources, predictable, forgettable and bland. I was laughing more often than not, as the film seemed to (unwittingly) reference Jabberwocky, Monty Python The Quest For The Holy Grail. Good points: the troll?I can imagine the studio pitch; "imagine Snow White meets The Lord of the Rings!" "Perfect! We'll make it!" The result is middle of the road, boring, liberally pilfers from numerous sources, predictable, forgettable and bland. I was laughing more often than not, as the film seemed to (unwittingly) reference Jabberwocky, Monty Python The Quest For The Holy Grail. Good points: the troll? What is your favourite colour? Expand
  46. Aug 10, 2012
    Dazzling, class-A visuals are undone by a directionless and dialogue-heavy script, as well as poor performances from Kristen Stewart and Charlize Theron.
  47. Jun 8, 2012
    Just back from "Snow White And The Huntsmen". It was fine and I did enjoy it as it surprised me how dark it was for a 12a. Great special effects and a really beautiful movie and I mean "Middle Earth" beautiful, even without 3D. Charlize Theron, Chris Hemsworth and the brilliantly cast dwarves are all great. However the one downside (and its a big one) is Kristen Stewart. She just has oneJust back from "Snow White And The Huntsmen". It was fine and I did enjoy it as it surprised me how dark it was for a 12a. Great special effects and a really beautiful movie and I mean "Middle Earth" beautiful, even without 3D. Charlize Theron, Chris Hemsworth and the brilliantly cast dwarves are all great. However the one downside (and its a big one) is Kristen Stewart. She just has one expression and isn't believable in the action scenes. Worth a watch but not for young kids. Expand
  48. Jul 30, 2015
    Snow White and the Huntsman (2012) is a beautifully crafted modern-day resurrection and upgrade to the story of Snow White. This film is beautifully crafted and stock piled with great graphics, great music, and a great cast. A solidly done film and perfectly put together. The Snow White story I'm a huge fan of and I'm glad to see it vividly put together in the form that this movieSnow White and the Huntsman (2012) is a beautifully crafted modern-day resurrection and upgrade to the story of Snow White. This film is beautifully crafted and stock piled with great graphics, great music, and a great cast. A solidly done film and perfectly put together. The Snow White story I'm a huge fan of and I'm glad to see it vividly put together in the form that this movie reflected. Rarely did I notice green-screen errors, or size mishaps with the dwarfs as you'd typically see in films like "OZ" and even some of the most recent Avengers films. Snow White and the Huntsman is a great film for family as well as for the dark side film fans like myself. I feel they done a wonderful job on this movie and yes it is in my Official DVD Collection. Expand
  49. Oct 2, 2012
    What could've been an enjoyable and dark take on Snow White just turned into an absolute bore. Charlize Theron looked like she was going to be amazing as the evil queen, but her overacting is just ridiculous. Kristen Stewart is blank and expressionless just like in Twilight, Chris Hemsworth was the only actor in the movie who could be considered good. The movie also rips off every otherWhat could've been an enjoyable and dark take on Snow White just turned into an absolute bore. Charlize Theron looked like she was going to be amazing as the evil queen, but her overacting is just ridiculous. Kristen Stewart is blank and expressionless just like in Twilight, Chris Hemsworth was the only actor in the movie who could be considered good. The movie also rips off every other fantasy movie released in the 21st century, and the dialogue is basic fantasy drivel. The script also had lots of plotholes, including one scene where Snow White escaped the Queen's castle, finds a horse sitting on the beach and rides it. What are the chances of that happening?! The visuals and the sets/costume designs were cool but no amount of icing is going to compensate for a cake that's gone bad. The tone is also so dark that the movie just falls flat and you lose interest. This movie had potential but it didn't live up it one bit. Expand
  50. Jun 9, 2012
    A hokey, boring, unnecessary film. The story is nothing new but told for a vis-effects generation, which sacrifices any clever plot devices. In a summer where board games are getting big screen adaptations, it's no surprise to see not 1, but 2 Snow White adaptations - both taken any polar directions - but neither adding anything worthy of a 2-hour time investment. To know that a sequel isA hokey, boring, unnecessary film. The story is nothing new but told for a vis-effects generation, which sacrifices any clever plot devices. In a summer where board games are getting big screen adaptations, it's no surprise to see not 1, but 2 Snow White adaptations - both taken any polar directions - but neither adding anything worthy of a 2-hour time investment. To know that a sequel is in the works is almost as no surprise as the its ending. Don't eat the apple. Expand
  51. Jun 1, 2012
    I really wanted this movie to be good since I am a fan of fantasy movies (when done right) and I love the old Disney movies. But this one, like Alice in Wonderland, had great visuals but lacked a good story and good characters. Charlize Theron was very good as the Evil Queen, so much so that I was kind of rooting for her to defeat Snow White. But the rest of the cast just couldn't pullI really wanted this movie to be good since I am a fan of fantasy movies (when done right) and I love the old Disney movies. But this one, like Alice in Wonderland, had great visuals but lacked a good story and good characters. Charlize Theron was very good as the Evil Queen, so much so that I was kind of rooting for her to defeat Snow White. But the rest of the cast just couldn't pull it off. Granted they didn't have much to work with seeing as the story was so rushed and fragmented. I might have liked Kristen Stewart's performance if she could just learn to close her mouth once in a while, instead of looking like she's perpetually on the verge of puking. And then the climax of the movie just comes out of no where and features a hilariously over the top pep talk that K Stew gives to the soldiers. Not to mention the fact that the last scene following the battle leaves so much unanswered. Overall, it was pretty bad. But if you want to see some impressive visuals, or if you're in love with Charlize Theron, you might just like this. Expand
  52. Mar 4, 2014
    Interesting to see a darker adaption to the story, but it fails to deliver in most places. Casting, pacing and script all in the limelight here to name a few. A couple of good scenes dotted here and there, but overall you just get the feeling of being endlessly dragged along scene by scene to an ending that is already extremely well known.
  53. Jun 1, 2012
    Wow, a film with no expression or emotion expressed by the main character. It makes the performers in Piranha 3DD look like fine actors. Badly paced, poor performances and a bad script, but cool visual effects.
  54. Jun 3, 2012
    Is there anyone out there who doesn't know this story? No. The enchanted forest of fairies and the evil dark woods are easily my favorite parts of this film ... that and (sniff) wait... (snifffff!) wait.... TROLL! Kristen Stewart is forever the Twilight girl, and Charlize is really wicked. Ending a bit lame, movie a bit long in spots, but otherwise a fun interpretation of Snow WhiteIs there anyone out there who doesn't know this story? No. The enchanted forest of fairies and the evil dark woods are easily my favorite parts of this film ... that and (sniff) wait... (snifffff!) wait.... TROLL! Kristen Stewart is forever the Twilight girl, and Charlize is really wicked. Ending a bit lame, movie a bit long in spots, but otherwise a fun interpretation of Snow White and the Seven... uh, wait a minute, let me recount... Expand
  55. Jun 27, 2012
    this movie has some many good points and some bad. good: the hunter (Chris Hemsworth), this fantastic along with William and Queen, but I have to say that Kristen Stewart is horrible, because she never changes her face, she is always the same, but in compensation she does not ta rubbing their hands in the body of nobody
  56. Jul 8, 2012
    A wise man once said all stories have already been told. We are merely reinterpreting them. In the case of this film, it was worth every penny. Snow White never looked this cool in the Disney cartoon I grew up with. This one kicks some serious butt.
    The screenplay was very well threated. Everything in place, and every step carefully placed. Nothing in this plot felt like an accidental consequence or a mechanism for an action sequence. But rather a cause and effect of the dramatic conflict between a woman that wants what most of us dream of, to stay young forever, and the beauty that is happy to grow old at her own pace.
    A particularly effective plot mechanism was acknowledging that Charlize Theron's character is haunted by her own dependence on being eternally young. A long standing curse bestowed by past events. Like Beauty, they are both victims of their own past and flawed parenting. Something most of us suffer from one way or another. I believe this is what makes the script particularly good. The believable balance of weakness and power inside the same character.
    I found this picture worth watching based on Charlize's performance alone, but everyone else was superbly cast. Even Kristen Stewart, better known for her demure dramatic style, was fitted flawlessly in the character of Snow White.
    If there was one thing I found missing that I had foolishy hoped for, was the eventual appearance of the Dragon. But, hey, like I said at the start, this is a reinterpretation. One worth watching.
  57. Aug 12, 2012
    Great visuals, an amazing performance by Charlize Theron, and a pretty decent battle at the end: these are the good things I can remember about this movie. Besides that, it drags. A lot.
  58. Jun 10, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Great gothic scenes in the mysterious, dark forest mix up with some dull moments in a cartoonish, Narnia-style Sanctuary and literally epitomize the movie's positive and negative aspects. A great idea of bringing to the cinema an adult representation of the classic fairy tale is marred by indecisions about whether this film should appeal more to the adults or to the younger audience. It has some very good elements, above all a stunning Charlize Theron as bad queen Ravenna, some music and atmospheric special effects (the forest, the mirror). At the same time, the acting of other characters (except for the dwarves) is unconvincing, marred by the same undecision, while many scenes are literally copied from other movies: the final charge on the beach (Ridley Scott's Robin Hood), the Sanctuary (Narnia), gothic villages (Solomon Kane), the representation of the dwarves (Lord of the Rings) or even the troll (Pan's Labyrinth). Finally, the plot lacks some deeper insights, offering only some generic explanation of the motivations of the protagonists (why is the huntsman drinking so much? why is Snow White not surprised at all by the charm she has suffered? why everyone wants to go to a war after her speech, if no one wanted to do that for the past 20 years? why is Ravenna's motivation to kill and destroy so badly explained and neglected?), as well as mixing very nice action scenes with lengthy, dull and unconvincing moments that force you to put matches into your eyes to keep them open.. Expand
  59. Jun 1, 2012
    I loved this movie Charlize Theron was fantastic Ian McShane , Bob Hoskins , Ray Winstone and Nick Frost were brilliant and the visual effects were amazing the story line was good all in all a really enjoyable film well worth a watch.
  60. Oct 2, 2012
    Wow. This movie exceeded my expectation. I thought this movie was directed really well. The storyline was easy to comprehend, dialogues were not cheesy and easy to understand. Acting was good too, although I disliked Kristen Stewart acting as Snow White. I feel that she lacked femininity and expression. Charlize Theron did phenomenal as the evil witch. She was too good. I loved how theyWow. This movie exceeded my expectation. I thought this movie was directed really well. The storyline was easy to comprehend, dialogues were not cheesy and easy to understand. Acting was good too, although I disliked Kristen Stewart acting as Snow White. I feel that she lacked femininity and expression. Charlize Theron did phenomenal as the evil witch. She was too good. I loved how they shoot the scenes, with awesome angles. The effects were superb. Seriously. I loved this movie. It depicts darkness more somehow but worth watching. Definitely not my comprehension of Snow White during my childhood days. Expand
  61. Jul 22, 2012
    And it could have been so good... or at least, that's my feeling after watching this. Certainly the effects and art design are good with a wonderful (if ever so gory) Goth vibe running through the film. And in Charlize Theron, the film has a pretty interesting Villain to set the heroes up against. But oh, those Heroes. Stewart is a damp squib in a role which, in fairness, is a damp squib.And it could have been so good... or at least, that's my feeling after watching this. Certainly the effects and art design are good with a wonderful (if ever so gory) Goth vibe running through the film. And in Charlize Theron, the film has a pretty interesting Villain to set the heroes up against. But oh, those Heroes. Stewart is a damp squib in a role which, in fairness, is a damp squib. And with two male leads, there is no real sense of romance with either, nor the obvious love rivalry. The action sequences are also pretty lacklustre, with no real "wow" moments even though they certainly have scale. The film is also pretty bleak and dour with no real humour to break things up. The dwarfs may have provided that but they are such a small part they're not really worth a mention. With a bit more effort and thought this could have been a nice franchise along the lines of Pirates but I cant see the point in a sequel. Expand
  62. Jun 17, 2012
    I had zero expectation going into Snow White and the Huntsman and yet it failed to even meet basic expectations like making any sense or being just entertaining. The script is just incredibly clumsy with characters teleporting from one place to another instantaneously for the convenience of the plot, the dialog is very basic, the characters are also very bland, and the pacing isI had zero expectation going into Snow White and the Huntsman and yet it failed to even meet basic expectations like making any sense or being just entertaining. The script is just incredibly clumsy with characters teleporting from one place to another instantaneously for the convenience of the plot, the dialog is very basic, the characters are also very bland, and the pacing is particularly atrocious (what's up with movies nowadays lasting 2 hours and there's nothing going on for half an hour often time?). And what about the acting, oh my... Theron starts off great, her character seems vicious and menacing, but she quickly falls apart as she starts yelling in every scene she's in; yelling isn't scary it shows the character is powerless, the most scary villains are the ones that don't need to say a word to inspire fear (like Vader in ep IV during the duel with Luke). Stewart is equally terrible but unlike Theron it's because she's so amazingly stiff, she has absolutely no range in this movie, when her character is happy, or scared, or sad, she always has the same freaking face; it's so ridiculous that they had to put fake tears in her eyes in some scenes to show that yes she is indeed sad or you wouldn't know based on her face, just ridiculous. Hemsworth isn't any better either, his character is very shallow, the best I can think of to describe him would be a failed Han Solo, a kind of scoundrel that gets better as the movie progresses, only done much more clumsily. All I can say is congratulation to the people who worked on the costumes and the CGI, because that's the only good thing you can say about this movie, yes it looks absolutely gorgeous, but it's not enough to carry a bad movie anymore and I'm not sure it ever was to begin with. Expand
  63. Aug 19, 2012
    For once there, I was really thinking I was not watching an epic movie based on a fairy tale princess. For once, I started leading myself by maniacally fantastic tale of a twist-up with Snow White on it. 'Snow White and the Huntsman' is obviously, once again one of those movies users and audiences love, yet, critics detest. Snow White takes us on an inventive ride, that is not like theFor once there, I was really thinking I was not watching an epic movie based on a fairy tale princess. For once, I started leading myself by maniacally fantastic tale of a twist-up with Snow White on it. 'Snow White and the Huntsman' is obviously, once again one of those movies users and audiences love, yet, critics detest. Snow White takes us on an inventive ride, that is not like the type of fairy-princess, bird-singing, but still, keeps faithful to it. Everything in the movie is very well made--especially the fighting sequences that reached in top mastery. The only thing that could be considered a little, little flaw is the acting of Kristen Stewart, who made an improvement to her disgusting acting in Twilight, but yet, it left fans expecting too much to ask. The movie overall was great and I really feel good by paying all the amount of many I invested to see it. Expand
  64. Jun 25, 2014
    The movie was actually a pretty good movie for a fairy-tale twist. The casting was excellent, the action was good, and some CGI shots were beautiful and incredible. It was a bit dark and violent compared to the original Snow White and the Seven Dwarves. It might have dark and sad moments but it does have a bright and happy ending.
  65. Oct 27, 2012
    What more can I ask for if I want a drunken movie session to torture my friends? Crappy acting (with the exception of Charlize Theron), esp Kirsten Stewart, cheesy/awkward dialogue/lines, horrible fight scenes that border on even more awkwardness and so many cliche'/unexplainedly retarded sequences that combine to make this my personal WORST FILM OF 2012. Avoid at all costs. A great castWhat more can I ask for if I want a drunken movie session to torture my friends? Crappy acting (with the exception of Charlize Theron), esp Kirsten Stewart, cheesy/awkward dialogue/lines, horrible fight scenes that border on even more awkwardness and so many cliche'/unexplainedly retarded sequences that combine to make this my personal WORST FILM OF 2012. Avoid at all costs. A great cast (well, except for probably Stewart) is almost completely wasted and in most cases, you cant feel that the film tries to hard to appear as a 'dark' fantasy. Had the script been better written and had the acting been better, I am sure this movie would've soared. Sadly, it all becomes a cheesy-as-hell translation of a great fairy tale classic that takes itself way too seriously with a lot of awkward and boring segments. Only under 15yo's, douches & rednecks who dont know better as well as young/naive female viewers will enjoy this movie. This has been a pain to watch and apart from nearly dozing off, on two occasions I switched from the movie in my blu-ray player to watch the frickin news because it was so bad. Dont be deceived by its dark cinematography (oh yea thats about the only good thing this movie has) and the lines of stars in this. Its essentially horrible B-grade rubbish disguised up with high budget wrappings. Once you open it, you'll regret it, no matter even if the wrapping paper is made out of gold. Oh look at all the good user ratings. And now look at the usernames. Yep, all young, ignorant, Twilight-influenced females who dont know better. Be smart, have class, join the sensible people of society and avoid this trash. Expand
  66. Jun 27, 2012
    Snow White & the Huntsman. Although this Snow White in nothing like the Snow White we know, (such as Walt Disney's original classic) An imaginative and darker story of its own lies within this Snow White tell - similar, in some ways, to Tim Burton's "Alice in Wonderland." My guess is you'll either think one of two ways about this film, you'll either like it or you won't. Though, it's noSnow White & the Huntsman. Although this Snow White in nothing like the Snow White we know, (such as Walt Disney's original classic) An imaginative and darker story of its own lies within this Snow White tell - similar, in some ways, to Tim Burton's "Alice in Wonderland." My guess is you'll either think one of two ways about this film, you'll either like it or you won't. Though, it's no where near perfect, I'll say that I did enjoy this Darker tale of Snow White, be it nothing like the one I know and love. "Lips red as blood. Hair black as night. Bring me your heart my dear, dear Snow White." Expand
  67. Aug 11, 2013
    this was a very interesting portrayal of the Disney classic. I didn't think Kirsten Stewart would be very good in this movie but I thought she did alright with her character. I didn't feel very intimidated by the queen. many of the scenes she was in, she was weak and vulnerable. also, the romantic part of the movie was broken.
  68. Jun 5, 2012
    At least 15 minutes too long, with a poor star performance (Theron) and merely adequate turns from Stewart and Hemsworth, this film took itself rather too seriously. Certainly, it looked great, and the dwarfs were fun, but it did not offer much that was memorable or interesting.
  69. Jul 17, 2012
    Snow white is a real boiling pot of ideas and themes, to be honest, some don
  70. Jun 7, 2013
    Whatever. Kristen Stewart is painful to watch. She couldn't act her way out of a box. Charlize Theron is great as the queen and is truly insane and tragic, the best part of the film is watching her come undone. Theron seems to have a knack for these kinds of roles. It's just not engaging enough though. It's full of cliche', cheeseball moments that only a high school sophomore could findWhatever. Kristen Stewart is painful to watch. She couldn't act her way out of a box. Charlize Theron is great as the queen and is truly insane and tragic, the best part of the film is watching her come undone. Theron seems to have a knack for these kinds of roles. It's just not engaging enough though. It's full of cliche', cheeseball moments that only a high school sophomore could find entertaining. The soundtrack may as well have been a H.I.M. record. It's sad that this was Bob Hoskins last film. The dwarfs were pretty well done! Overall it's not a memorable movie. It's just without substance. The moral of the film is arresting and oppressive. I was hoping Theron would triumph and continue her jaded reign over her bleak little kingdom of annoying dwarfs and cliche' prince charmings, but alas, that's not how the fairy tale goes! Entirely forgettable. Expand
  71. Aug 4, 2012
    Beautiful but boring and shallow. This movie had me fidgeting in my seat and impatiently checking my watch almost from the opening scene. I give it a 6 solely for the cinematography.
  72. Jul 1, 2012
    "An Amazing Movie Experience! It has the full-scale charm of many other epic fantasies like the Lord of the Rings or The Chronicles of Narnia even if it mimics them too deeply..." I've always wanted to see a different version of Snow White. I've seen Disney' version countless times already and for the most part, I'd admired the artwork and the sing-a-long songs that made that experience"An Amazing Movie Experience! It has the full-scale charm of many other epic fantasies like the Lord of the Rings or The Chronicles of Narnia even if it mimics them too deeply..." I've always wanted to see a different version of Snow White. I've seen Disney' version countless times already and for the most part, I'd admired the artwork and the sing-a-long songs that made that experience so 'lively.' However, I knew the Grimm' had a different perspective, one of darker and meaningful aspects...more lets just say 'grim.' When I watched in my childhood, I never looked into it really. All I really cared about was of that red-looking apple whom was eaten by Snow White and it made me really hungry for an apple. However, as I look back on it now; the Snow White legend really came off as a creepy and cautionary tale just like that of the Little Red Riding Hood. We each have our own interpretation which is undeniable but we all can agree that the story of Snow White isn't always the most jolly out of all the other Grimm stories that our 'mother' (oddly enough) used to read to us. In fact, the Little Red Riding Hood was meant to scare little children. I mean come on! A little girl with a red coat walking straight through the dark forest is kind of creepy in itself just like that of a little white girl swinging on the swings at the hours of midnight. Its even more scary when she meets a talking wolf who then eats her grandmother and dresses up to be like her....that to me is very strange. Anyways, the storyline for this movie is still the same. However, it felt like the characters were just trying to find a way which is entirely understandable and it made the experience feel human, so it wasn't so predictable in that sense. The performances were memorable and I really loved that each actor went deep into their roles even though sometimes that's not always the case for the many other films they played in. Charlize Theron' Ravenna is now one of my favorite villains. In the film, she has a good back story; its touching, sad and tragic so it does explain why she's the way she is. I felt a little sympathetic because not only is she the many Kings tool (not to mentioned curse), she's just like any other human. She fears death and growing older. She also feels (like I mentioned) used and replaced. However, I can't sympathize with her too long because sooner or later her cold eyes pop out and her character turns like the prophetic Evil Queen. This movie was meant to be played by Kristen Stewart. Although many complain that she isn't the fairest of them all, let alone Charlize Theron. Just to put it out there; I think Kristen Stewart is one of Hollywood's most unique actresses because she is shy and she does want to keep her personal life to herself. I have to say too is that she is gorgeous-attractive even hot when she wants to be and many others will agree (her fans mostly). Snow White has been imprisoned in her room for 10 years so her voice is raspy and she is 'shy.' However, (when you're watching this film) her character has this sort of drive-determination and power especially when she's in the Dark Forest; always pushing and moving forward...I mean I would though if my life depended on it but that's not the case here, she even says the Lords Prayer: 'forgive the sins of others.' She even goes to battle with shining armor and faces (in the end) the Queen. I mean doesn't Snow White sound at all familiar to Kristen Stewart' publicity and their hate campaign. Kristen Stewart conveys a lot of emotions in this one and in many of the scenes, lets out a couple of tears. Chris Hemsworth is completely watchable as the drunken huntsman. When he's battling it with Finn, couple times I wanted to shout out 'COME ON WHERE'S YOUR HAMMER!?!!'
    Overall, he's noticeable and has a good screen presence. The Dwarves are what made the movie experience more lighter and happy (?). They took off the heavy load of the first hour and brought us to the Sanctuary. One of my favorite scenes. The visuals are impressive as can be. I mean clearly you can see it through the trailers and clips. The cinematography balances out, changing from dark to light. The camerawork is also impressive and less shakier than that of The Hunger Games (loved that film btw). I'd also liked the many battle scenes and the grand scale of it all. It was truly a unique experience. The visuals and the script made most of the scenes memorable. The disappointing factor is sort of the end. They build so much tension in the first hour and a half that the second half is a let down. I loved every scene until the last 5 minutes. The most dramatic and emotional scene came from the two main actresses and the showdown. The music was what made it so compelling and I have to give props to Mr. James Newton Howard because he really does capture that epic fairy-tale action. So a sold 5 on his part.
  73. Feb 13, 2013
    A gritty in-your-face version with some interesting twists and fantastic CG and full-on realism. Nice acting all round. Could have drawn more emotion from some of the later scenes but well done nonetheless.
  74. Jul 25, 2014
    We finally see this classic story with an edgy version. However ,it lacks the twist, adds absolute nothing to the original story and it turns into a long slow paced mess. Kristen Steward is miscast and I cannot see her as Snow White.
  75. Jun 25, 2012
    The movie in a nutshell is a paper thin, almost-barely-there plotline hidden under a veil of drop-dead gorgeous visuals. When the simplistic plotline is present, it is nebulous at best, and it leads the viewer to question why is this here? what is the purpose of this? and most importantly, why do I care? It's very frustrating and infuriating. There is seriously so much random **** all overThe movie in a nutshell is a paper thin, almost-barely-there plotline hidden under a veil of drop-dead gorgeous visuals. When the simplistic plotline is present, it is nebulous at best, and it leads the viewer to question why is this here? what is the purpose of this? and most importantly, why do I care? It's very frustrating and infuriating. There is seriously so much random **** all over the place that while watching the film, I pictured it as a 10,000 piece jigsaw puzzle opened by the film crew that was only partially put together and then submitted as complete. All the parts that should clearly be focused on aren't (what is the purpose behind the forest deer) and all the parts that shouldn't be focused on are (there is no need to show a campfire scene for like 10 minutes, much less at all). The big WTF moment is when a romantic plotline materializes out of thin air. The acting was flat, except for Charlize Theron, whose sinister performance I believed to an extent. Now on the other side, the visuals might have been the most spectacular I have seen since Avatar, and the set design and costumes were flawless. Is that enough to hold up a film when so much else is lacking? I'm not sure. It depends on the viewer. As for me, I was completely underwhelmed by a movie that could have and should have been more. Done right, this film could have been amazing. Is the film bad? No, but it isn't great either. And that's a big shame because I was rooting for it. Expand
  76. Jul 9, 2012
    Snow White and the Huntsman is a dark take on the classic fairytale story. This is director, Rupert Sanders, first film and it
  77. Sep 29, 2012
    My original score was an "8". Afterwards, I deducted "7" for Kristen Stewart who should have played the ice queen instead of snow white !! How did she ever became a actress ? She has the same facial expression whatever she does... cry, smile, get angry, kiss, die, resurrect, fight, whisper, yell, etc, etc... Anyway, that got us to a score of 8-7=1. Add to that , a "5" for Charlize Theron,My original score was an "8". Afterwards, I deducted "7" for Kristen Stewart who should have played the ice queen instead of snow white !! How did she ever became a actress ? She has the same facial expression whatever she does... cry, smile, get angry, kiss, die, resurrect, fight, whisper, yell, etc, etc... Anyway, that got us to a score of 8-7=1. Add to that , a "5" for Charlize Theron, who was a perfect and wonderful villain, and you get the final "6" for the movie. Expand
  78. Jul 9, 2012
    The Queen is SO beautiful and she's such a great actor! The story of Snow White has NEVER been so interesting! I only have 1 problem, I wish there was more of the Queen, but the movie is great! The special effects are breath-taking, and visually-stunning. This movie combines suspense, with action, and drama. The costumes are great, so is the makeup, plot, and the enviornments are veryThe Queen is SO beautiful and she's such a great actor! The story of Snow White has NEVER been so interesting! I only have 1 problem, I wish there was more of the Queen, but the movie is great! The special effects are breath-taking, and visually-stunning. This movie combines suspense, with action, and drama. The costumes are great, so is the makeup, plot, and the enviornments are very detailed. The also introduce other fairytale elements like pixies and trolls! This movie is not just a movie, it's an experience! Expand
  79. Nov 29, 2012
    The Movie had great potential, and was pretty well done for the most part. Charlize Theron does a great job. The problem with the movie was Kristen Stewart, who still thinks all characters act like her twilight character. She literally sucks the soul out of every scene she is in. That being said Twilight fans will love this movie because she is in it.
  80. Jun 8, 2012
    I started out thinking I could get into it if it kept getting better, but by the third act this movie becomes so boring that I didn't even care what would happen anymore.
  81. Jun 2, 2012
    Kristen Stewart is unconvincing in her role as Snow White, in terms of both acting and appearance (fairer than the Charlize Theron? Yeah right.) This film is nowhere near as epic as it pretends to be.
  82. Jul 22, 2012
    ust saw Snow White & The Huntsman. That might just be the sleeper hit of the summer. I wasn't to hyped for the movie until I started seeing some of the Tv spots. I wasn't really sure what to expect going in but man was it a great action/medieval/fantasy movie. I LOVED it. Chris Hemsworth was great, the dwarves where fantastic and Charlize Theron was brilliant. And the effects? The effectsust saw Snow White & The Huntsman. That might just be the sleeper hit of the summer. I wasn't to hyped for the movie until I started seeing some of the Tv spots. I wasn't really sure what to expect going in but man was it a great action/medieval/fantasy movie. I LOVED it. Chris Hemsworth was great, the dwarves where fantastic and Charlize Theron was brilliant. And the effects? The effects where stunning (And fyi, the dwarves? Real dwarves with life sized actors faces out on there bodies. You can't even tell!). Only thing that bugged me was Kristen Stewart. I mean her whole mopey attitude works for most of the movie, but at the happy ending she still doesn't even smile! Well she smiled a little, but it barely counts as a smile! She had a bigger smile earlier in the movie! I mean come on Stewart, show some other emotions. Other than that, the movie was great and is one of my favorite medieval fantasy movies. Expand
  83. Jun 17, 2013
    Great visuals Charlize Theron stole the show
    the story as we know it is so fresh and timeless Kristen Stewart is so talentless she can't even fake a smile Chris Hemsworth was good
  84. Jun 3, 2012
    Just to get this out of the way, Charlize Theron carried this entire movie. Kirsten Stewart does what she does best, as the background wallflower. The movie suffers a lot from a really weak script and the directing shows that rather too clearly. What could be a nice wrapped package becomes rather confusing with the introduction of characters that made not a lot of sense and didn't add toJust to get this out of the way, Charlize Theron carried this entire movie. Kirsten Stewart does what she does best, as the background wallflower. The movie suffers a lot from a really weak script and the directing shows that rather too clearly. What could be a nice wrapped package becomes rather confusing with the introduction of characters that made not a lot of sense and didn't add to the storyline. If you removed said characters it would affect absolutely zero to the drama. Namely, Snow White's childhood/maybeloveinterest William whose being in the show makes zero impact to the storyline. Then the squandered opportunities like the Troll, which again added zero value to the story. Why introduce the Troll if you're not going to use it as an ally in the ending? Just to show that Snow White is connected to Mother Nature? In fact that whole 'Green' Snow White is literally pounded into you throughout half the movie, which incidentally is where the movie actually starts. For the first 30 minutes you're treated to a rather interesting background story which one wold say was the better half. In fact, the first part of the story made for a better script than the actual Movie itself.

Finally we have Chris Hemsworth, he was great in that tiny role in Star Trek, fantastic in Cabin in the Woods great in Thor. But even the best actors can't do much with a weak script and an even weaker character. At least he's there for a reason. In fact he has almost nothing to say and do once he brings Snow White to the Duke's Castle. Seriously? For a Movie call Snow White and the huntsman, he appears only in half the movie and has nothing to do in the last quarter of the movie.

This movie is a terrible miscarriage of what could have been and what we eventually got. It'll have been a more interesting movie if Snow White stayed in the background (Kirsten Stewart doing what Kirsten Stewart does best) and the focus on the Evil Queen instead.
  85. Jun 3, 2012
    Even that I'm not a fan of fairytale but this adoption is simply great. It has exciting moment that keep the thrill. The main drawback of the movie is that the acting has its weak points which is probably do to the choose of actors and actresses. Also the movie wasn't written as well. Overall I would say it can be a good movie for a weekend cinema time.
  86. Jun 2, 2012
    This was an uneven film. It generated wonder and boredom. The story telling was clunky. The CGI and imagination of many of the scenes were incredible. A movie has lost me as a viewer when I no longer can suspend my disbelief and begin to question the logic and rationale of the storytelling; that's what happened here. There were some great parts and I loved the re-imagining of the oldThis was an uneven film. It generated wonder and boredom. The story telling was clunky. The CGI and imagination of many of the scenes were incredible. A movie has lost me as a viewer when I no longer can suspend my disbelief and begin to question the logic and rationale of the storytelling; that's what happened here. There were some great parts and I loved the re-imagining of the old story. Brilliant what they did with the 7 dwarfs. The scenery was great. By the last 10 minutes I was so disinterested in the story itself that I walked out, which about 5 people had done before me throughout the movie. Expand
  87. Feb 8, 2014
    "Snow White and the Huntsman" has beautiful costumes and visuals, and is well acted, but lacks originality and consistency. It often feels like it is a mixture of many other ideas that other fantasy films have already used. The lack of detail explanation is frustrating at times as well, but overall, "Snow White and the Huntsman" is still a decent summer blockbuster movie to watch.
  88. Sep 23, 2012
    This movie was an absolute waste of time... I guess I was not the target audience for this movie but the trailer made me think other wise. It had its moments but I had a hard time sitting through the whole movie. Snow white was the worse character of the movie. The Huntsman was okay... I guess that's the reason why they are not going to do a sequel to this movie but are going to do one ofThis movie was an absolute waste of time... I guess I was not the target audience for this movie but the trailer made me think other wise. It had its moments but I had a hard time sitting through the whole movie. Snow white was the worse character of the movie. The Huntsman was okay... I guess that's the reason why they are not going to do a sequel to this movie but are going to do one of the Huntsman solo. Expand
  89. Jun 4, 2012
    Better than it has a right to be, this movie's watchability hinges entirely on your opinion of Kristen Stewart. She walks through this movie just like Twilight, which is to say she can not act. She alternates between taking deep breathes (which is her happy look, maybe?) and a confused/constipated look. Most laughably when she is supposed to be giving an inspirational speech, but eitherBetter than it has a right to be, this movie's watchability hinges entirely on your opinion of Kristen Stewart. She walks through this movie just like Twilight, which is to say she can not act. She alternates between taking deep breathes (which is her happy look, maybe?) and a confused/constipated look. Most laughably when she is supposed to be giving an inspirational speech, but either whispers or yells, and the whole thing seems like chunks of it were cut out, presumably because she was somehow worse in her delivery. Everyone else is fine, I guess, with only Charlize Theron really going for it (and doing pretty well, I guess). Expand
  90. Oct 2, 2012
    I couldn't bring myself to care about any of the characters in this movie--except maybe the dwarves--and therefore the story was boring and pointless. Kristen Stewart still can't act, which is usually a problem for a main character. The supporting cast wasn't too bad, but had junk to work with. The one good thing in this movie was the visuals, but these go to waste because of theI couldn't bring myself to care about any of the characters in this movie--except maybe the dwarves--and therefore the story was boring and pointless. Kristen Stewart still can't act, which is usually a problem for a main character. The supporting cast wasn't too bad, but had junk to work with. The one good thing in this movie was the visuals, but these go to waste because of the lackluster characters and dialogue. Expand
  91. Sep 30, 2013
    Interesting twist on an old original This film was much more entertaining than I had expected. Great story, wonderful visuals and the cast worked quite well together.
  92. Nov 13, 2012
    This is a fantastic take on a story that we all know from our childhood and from our good friend Walt Disney. There is a great ensemble of actors who give strong, convincing performances especially the main female leads of Christan Stewart and Charlize Theron. For those who were put off Kristan Stewart from her Twighlit performances, she really steps up the gears in this and provides aThis is a fantastic take on a story that we all know from our childhood and from our good friend Walt Disney. There is a great ensemble of actors who give strong, convincing performances especially the main female leads of Christan Stewart and Charlize Theron. For those who were put off Kristan Stewart from her Twighlit performances, she really steps up the gears in this and provides a throughly entertaining performance. Certainly a movie to have in your DVD collection. Expand
  93. Jun 1, 2012
    Snow White and the Huntsman turned out to be an unfortunate disappointment. It had its moments---the troll was absolutely fantastic, but its appearance in the movie struck me as being remarkably short---but this film was uneven throughout on every level. It only measured up to the high expectations created by the trailer a handful of times. Certainly not enough times to engage the restlessSnow White and the Huntsman turned out to be an unfortunate disappointment. It had its moments---the troll was absolutely fantastic, but its appearance in the movie struck me as being remarkably short---but this film was uneven throughout on every level. It only measured up to the high expectations created by the trailer a handful of times. Certainly not enough times to engage the restless audience attending the feature I saw. Throughout the movie noticeable numbers of individuals were leaving their seats for one reason or another. That just doesn't happen at a good film. Expand
  94. Jul 10, 2012
    Snow White and the Huntsman is good, not great. The pacing is incredibly uneven and the film can bore at times. Kristen Stewart's Snow White is boring and mumbles one word responses like all of her other characters and Chris Hemsworth's Huntsman is only written as walking eye candy. Snow White and the Huntsman is just another example where Charlize Theron steals the show with anotherSnow White and the Huntsman is good, not great. The pacing is incredibly uneven and the film can bore at times. Kristen Stewart's Snow White is boring and mumbles one word responses like all of her other characters and Chris Hemsworth's Huntsman is only written as walking eye candy. Snow White and the Huntsman is just another example where Charlize Theron steals the show with another amazing performance that only further enunciates her incredible range of acting. Her character is wonderfully sadistic and completely insane, and she really sells it. I would recommend the movie based on her performance alone. The rest of the movie is a take it or leave it deal. Expand
  95. Jun 1, 2012
    This is a horrible movie that is visually stunning but that's it. If the director put more into the acting and the writing was better it would have a better chance but still fall short. Kristen Stewart has no business being in this movie because she's so far from being as pretty as snow white and she's just plain overrated for anything but Twilight. This is one of those movies that willThis is a horrible movie that is visually stunning but that's it. If the director put more into the acting and the writing was better it would have a better chance but still fall short. Kristen Stewart has no business being in this movie because she's so far from being as pretty as snow white and she's just plain overrated for anything but Twilight. This is one of those movies that will leave you thinking when you leave but trying to make sense of what you just sat through. Skip it unless you like dull and boring movies with terrible writing and a poorly cast Snow White. If you loved the Once Upon a Time series on tv just stick with that because you will be disappointed. Expand
  96. Jun 4, 2012
    If you're looking for a dark and realistic retelling of a fairy tale, this isn't it. This movie is a real snoozer and most definitely isn't a serious movie for serious people.

I've really developed a strong dislike for Charlize Theron after watching her on The Colbert Report and in seeing some preview scenes from Prometheus, and now this travesty of a movie. She's one dimensional and boring and has none of the gravitas of say Cate Blanchett as Galadriel. Kristen Stewart looks great but hardly has any lines. She gives one spirited pre-battle speech that seemed entirely out of character and had my eyes glazing over. Other than that, her "acting" consists of looking good.

So, overall, just terrible. Avoid.
  97. Jun 6, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This was an alright action-ish movie. The visuals were good in a lot of places and the Queen was a great character, but the movie seemed a bit lost with what is was trying to do. Characters and their motivations were never really developed well and I ended up not really caring what happens. There some moments that just made me wonder if there were really important. For example, when Snow White meets that huge antlered deer, it was apparently a big deal. The problem is that we are told it's a big deal with out actually seeing why. Snow White apparently has some sort of healing powers or is "life itself" which is great because that's the complete opposite of what the Queen represents, but Snow White never demonstrates her ability. It would be better thematically to have had Snow White lead an army of nature oriented creatures and men to fight against the Queen with her dark and sharp monsters. It would have made more sense and made Snow White look more important.The acting was alright in most places, especially the Queen, but there were a few pretty corny speeches. Overall the movie had a pretty good concept and executed it's visuals well, but failed to develop the story properly for me to be invested in the characters and the outcome. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Tal Rosenberg
    Jun 2, 2012
    The CGI effects are so slick that they undercut the movie's shock value, and the action moves too quickly to instill a real sense of fear, but this is still visually impressive, with spectacular make-up, costumes, and cinematography.
  2. Reviewed by: James Berardinelli
    Jun 1, 2012
    Attempts to inject a little humor via the antics of the dwarves don't work, especially since one of the little people is killed early in the proceedings. No one's going to be singing "Hi ho! Hi ho! It's off to work we go!" after that happens.
  3. Reviewed by: Elizabeth Weitzman
    Jun 1, 2012
    It's Theron who owns this film, imbuing her deliciously depraved Queen with furious pain and deep-seated fear.