7.2

1. Jun 27, 2014
    Ditto on being shocked at good reviews. Snowpiercer is not worth your money. The dialogue seems to have been written by grade school children, which doesn't leave much room for quality acting. The characters are Brazil / Gilliam campy but not as interesting (partly due to the awful dialogue). Also, the plot is recycled from already recycled dystopias and is very predictable. Ok, are you here for action then? Well, you can basically just throw away the fighting scenes, which also seem recycled from other, better Korean films. Do we really need another axe-fight scene? Do we really need another dystopian film of this type and quality? The plot holes are mind-blowing even if you suspend disbelief, the acting is poor, the characters are random and disposable, and the plot is as dumb as a couch. The movie seems like a live action manga remake of the worst kind. Expand
  2. Jul 7, 2014
    I'm quite shocked seeing this movie receives such a good response from film critics-it's insanely bad, unbelievable illogical with plot holes appearing in almost every scene. For example main character, our hero is having some difficult time eating protein blocks made of roach (we never see growing roach department however) but later in the movie we discover that his former eating habits include cannibalism and eating little babies?! Yes the guy who once ate babies now cries like a baby because he has to eat roach and start whole revolution because of it..that's how ridiculously dumb this movie is.There is one Terminator guy that can't get killed no matter what they do to him,Tilda Swinton get stabbed in her leg just to continue walking in the next scene like nothing happened- list of errors and stupidities could go on forever.Screenwriters couldn't even decide how cold is outside:very cold at the beginning (remember how the rebel guy lost his arm?),not so cold at the end...and where on Earth little kid finds suitable fur for him? I don't give it 0 because of some fine actors work and production values but this is complete rubbish. Expand
  3. Jun 27, 2014
    This is the best movie I've seen this year.The fact is that I didnt see the movie in theaters but on my PC and I loved it means a lot.This sci-fi,action movie is put together with thought.It has a soul,a purpose,a style,good characters and AWESOME action.One of the best of this year.I'd like to quote what Peter Travers said in his review for this movie " Snowpiercer is everything Transformers: Age of Extinction wishes it could be: a slam-bam sci-fi thriller with a brain, a heart and an artful sense of purpose".I really hope this movie is gonna slam AOE at the box office because its entertaining and doesnt give you headache and doesnt make you dumber watching it.Snowpiercer diserves to be a succes.Go see it in theaters people. Expand
  4. Jun 28, 2014
    No idea why this film is getting so many insanely positive reviews. Way too many plot aspects that did not tie together, the unnecessary addition of woo and supernatural elements that did nothing to advanced the story and a lot of suspect acting. Good idea for a film, poorly executed. Script seemed like it wasn't even edited. Strange.
  5. Jul 3, 2014
    It is not understandable how this movie can get such good reviews. It is almost as if those people saw a completely different movie. The one I saw was bad in almost every regard. Acting was the worst, followed by insanely bad CGI. Plot holes and predictable story from beggining to end. Don't waste your money for this.
  6. Jun 30, 2014
    I was very excited by this film, and impressed by the first 10-15 minutes. As the story developed though, it just got painfully stupid. I think the idea behind the film is excellent, it's just been very poorly executed.
  7. Jun 28, 2014
    I really liked this movie. Clearly the best movie i have seen recently. Acting, story, action, set -design, everything is amazing. It is the kind of movie that makes you uncomfortable, shocks you with its boldness, depth of character, and in the end compels you to ask questions, think about things you haven't thought before, imagined; about life, humans, society. Those are the movie i like the best. Thanks Bong Joon-ho! Expand
  8. Jul 7, 2014
    I am befuddled by the generous scores given by all the professional critics. This was a boring film with poor dialog, and a preposterous plot with enough holes to rival Looper, and Lake House. At no point did I find it even remotely plausible, and the 'twists' at the end were just ridiculous. Chris Evans was completely forgettable.
  9. Jun 30, 2014
    OK I've given this a 3 because it tried to be original and daring. It tried too hard though and it ends up as an unfortunate attempted cross between Brazil and any dumb action movie that you can name. I was disappointed because I liked The Host a lot but the dialogue here is poor, there is no characterisiation and the movie swings again and again from gory action to poorly-judged surreality to the detriment of both. the problem is that action movies demand one kind of logic, quirky surrealist fantasies another, and this film has none. Expand
  10. Jul 7, 2014
    Without doubt, one of the worst films of 2014, as well as of recent years, Snowpiercer was a massive disappointment. Collectively, I'm a fan of several of the actors and behind-the-scenes talent involved with this film, as well as its kind of dystopian setting, so although I knew little about the film I had high hopesfor it - sadly, they were soon dashed. Where to begin?

There were just
    too many things wrong with it - for a train that's perpetually rocketing around the world, half the film featured zero sense of inertia or speed (even Star Trek's hams could wobble in their seats sometimes), as utterly stationary cast and equipment appeared stage-bound - apart from a few token sequences. We had a rocketing train that conveniently slowed wayyyy down at key expositional points (the Plane Below, the Frozen Exiles), as well as utterly bizarre casting decisions that were never explained (Jamie Bell's bizarre and somewhat patronising "Shoite!" 'Oirish' accent - why?!), while Hurt and Evans regularly over-emoted as though they going for an Academy award. (Just wait til the seemingly endless speech about what Evans used to eat...)

Then, once the story started rolling along into the front, better-off section of the train, it absolutely rocketed into utter silliness. Yes, we get that they're all decadent, parasitic snobs living it up at the front - but did we need slo-mo Eurodisco shots to underline this? (Send in the gimps!) Derivative and dull to sit through, ticking one clichéd box after another, this was the point where I started considering what I could be doing instead of staying on board to the ending.

The film's one - and only - saving grace is Tilda Swinton, who stole every scene with her perfidious Mason character. Half Gollum, half Northern English trade unionist, and half vintage Deirdre Barlow (Irish/British TV audiences will get that reference), her cowardly, sniping, mocking and treacherous ways were an absolute hoot to watch, with her hateful character proving unexpectedly entertaining in each and every scene she was in, while John Hurt was also a reliably engaging presence on screen.

Unfortunately, one brilliant character and an okay-ish set-up do not an entertaining film make, and the initially interesting dystopian set-up soon derails into a cheap - and dare one say, almost grubby-feeling - Eurofilmesque tale, populated with flashes of jarring, stylised uber-violence, an inconsistent narrative, lazy editing, generally cheap-looking CGI/effects and a crashing bore of an ending.

As such, it's 3 points for Tildy's turn, but a big, fat Zero for anything else...
  11. Jun 28, 2014
    On a weekend where the fourth haphazard installment of the Transformers franchise is released we are introduced to one of the best foreign films there has been in recent years. Director Joon-ho Bong's "Snowpiercer" is a visually stunning, jaw dropping masterful piece of post-apocalyptic dystopian science fiction cinema without a doubt. I actually didn't even know that this was based off a graphic novel until just a few days ago but now after seeing this i really want to check it out to see if its just as great this. Seeing the 7.5 rating here on Meta and the 7.0 on IMDb it just saddens me that people can't see just how beautiful and thought-provoking this film really is and it makes me question if the head guys at The Weinstein Company was right about thinking that this movie would be too smart for american audiences but at least it seems the critics got it right on this one.

In the year 2014 after a failed experiment to counteract the worlds global warming problem earth is soon sent into a deep freeze killing off almost all of mankind. The few who remain live on a massive non-stop state-of-the-art train that travels around the world once every year. The train runs on a class system in which the rich get to live happily near the front while the poor struggling to survive in the back. Now its the year 2031 and people who inhabit the tail end of the train gear up for another rebellious uprising this time led by Curtis (Chris Evans). From here we see them brutally overtake each section of the train starting with the prison section where they find the guy who built all the doors that divide each cart. Maybe the best part of the movie is the epic battle scene right before they overtake the water room in which turns out to be one of the most intense fighting scenes i have ever seen that only few films can match.

A cool thing we see is that the farther they go up the train the more they get to experience how the rich get to live with being able to take showers, eat fresh food, and even being able to see the outside and when they finally do they see that its still just a frozen land barren of all life. Of course the movie wasn't without flaws and i did have a few problems with it but they were nothing too serious that it took me out of my experience while watching it. Unlike several movies ive watched lately where the twists have been a bit underwhelming this movie had a great twist i didn't see coming so that was cool . I don't want to give too much away from the movie but all i have to say is that if your theater just so happens to be playing this id would HIGHLY recommend you go watch this rather than the tedious explosion filled Bayfest that is Transformers: Age of Extinction.

Overall i give it a 8.0 The whole cast was excellent and this is for sure the best we have yet to see of Chris Evans as his acting was absolutely phenomenal hopefully we get to more films like this whenever he decides to act again after he takes some time off after his contract with marvel expires and he kicks off his directing career. Seriously though im glad The Weinstein Company didn't cut the running time on this as i don't think it would have turned out as great as it did.
  12. Jun 28, 2014
    For its orderly runtime of 126 mins, it never feels dragging but keens to keep you at the edge of your seat desirous to the next unexpected twist to happen in the probably the Sci-Fi movie of the year!
  13. Jul 14, 2014
    Plodding, linear, predictable, stupid. One of the worst movies I have ever seen. Lacks story and character development, logic, and common sense. My friend picked it, and we were both sorry. I don't understand why anyone would make this movie. As she pointed out, the analogy between the train and planet earth makes no sense.
    In a lot of the scenes, the train does not seem to be moving.
    They forgot to jiggle the set or wiggle the camera. Very distracting. Often the reveals are told, not shown. The last scene, with Ed Harris, is especially bad. He lectures us about the way thing are—everyone in his place, we have to kill a certain number of people, blah-blah-blah. Terrible. This movie offers nothing to recommend it: no insight into human nature or the human condition. Avoid at all costs. Expand
  14. Jun 30, 2014
    Man, some people have no freaking imagination! This movie was fantastic and one of the best sci-fi movies I've seen in a while, not to mention my favorite Chris Evans performance.
    But you know, haters don't know a great film when they see it. smdh.
  15. Jun 27, 2014
    A stunning, visionary example of dystopian science-fiction cinema at its best, South Korean director Bong Joon-ho's "Snowpiercer" is based on the French graphic novel - a blockbuster rich in style that successfully breaks through cultural and political boundaries.“Snowpiercer” is brought to the big screen and offers a solid narrative, carefully drawn characters and — above all — respect for the audience’s intelligence in high-concept genre cinema. While “Snowpiercer” and its world may be implausible, it's most certainly engaging, and further helping matters is Bong’s impressive, sprawling international cast anchored by Chris Evan's strong central performance.

"Snowpiercer" is set in a distant future where a man-made ecological disaster has triggered a new ice age that has engulfed the planet and killed off all but a few hundred lucky survivors. Upending the social structure of society and transposing it horizontally, the upper-class has become first-class on the Rattling Ark - a gigantic speed train that contains a literal microcosm of a contemporary neoliberal society. The fortunate in the front of the train rule over the rest, where the rich dictate the rules in order to oppress the poor and underprivileged.

Bong’s vivid depictions -- aided by Ondrej Nekvasil’s production design and Hong Kyung-pyo’s cinematography are beautifully orchestrated and captivating for the most part. That being said, one of the more significant issues with the film is the overuse of CGI in places, which does look sub-par at times, like stylized segments from a 1990's video game.

Joon-ho creates an air of mystery and intrigue - as the passengers progress from the dark, rear tail of the train to the opulent splendour of the front carriages, "Piecer" evolves steadily, slowing providing information and further enriching its story with enough magic and wonder to suspend our disbelief entirely. The film's pacing is measured, but never slacks with adequate time taken out for nuanced, character-building scenes. You may recognize lots of inherent holes and flaws in its journey to salvation, but the movie confidently pushes its premise throughout its 126 minute run time.

By the end, the film reveals itself as a surprisingly thoughtful contemplation projecting the problems of today into a science-fiction tomorrow, while it ties together a compelling story that continuously shifts. We all think we know what will happen here; the downtrodden are pushed to the limit, and as a result, they unite and rebel against their oppressors - exactly as we've seen countless times in a number of other sci-fi movies and it's all a bit predictable. "Snowpiecer" is the exception.
  16. Jun 30, 2014
    I dare to say, this is one of the best sci-fi movies of the last few years (probably since District 9 and Inception).
    Great story and masterfully implemented allegories about society in general... plus wonderful tone and visual creativity and bravuras we don't see too often. Chris Evans and the entire cast also did a remarkable job.
    Snowpiercer is more than meets the eye - sure, there're
    some almost gimmick moments in action but the story, interesting themes and performances is what makes it so great. Expand
  17. Jul 7, 2014
    I really don't understand the critic and users high scores... this is a awful sci-fi movie, the clime is so extreme but the rails are pretty intact for 10 years and there is lots of snow in every place unless on the rails considering the train only pass for the same place after 1 year. And a train would be the worst thing to survive in these glacial era conditions it's impossible they are the last humans. Expand
  18. Jul 10, 2014
    + CGI
    - Audio
    - Shaky Cam (unwatchable action scenes)
    - Plot
    Lacking a time machine to go back and restore hours lost watching this dreck compels me to warn others.
  19. Jul 8, 2014
    I am a bit shocked by all the great reviews for this movie. The movie promises way more than it actually delivers. Here is the good: fantastic set design and Tilda Swinton ('nuff said). And the bad: paint-by-numbers recycled premise with plot holes so big you could drive a train through them, a plethora a stereotypical characters that I could not care any less about, and dialogue so forgettable that I don't remember a single line from the movie. Probably the worst thing about the movie is the suspension of disbelief or lack thereof. I've watched a lot of sci-fi and fantasy movies, but the absurdity of a perpetually moving biosphere train (not to mention all its inhabitants and the variety of "ecospheres") was difficult even for me to swallow. And the movie's attempt at social commentary was equally lame and cliched. I think the people who gave this movie a glowing review were maybe snorting some of the same drugs that also conveniently double as C4 explosives! Give this train a miss!! Expand
  20. Jul 8, 2014
    Quick and dirty review. The acting is noticeably odd. Possibly due to a language / culture difference between Boon Joon-ho and the English speaking cast. The dialogue is dull and forced. The story is predictable with action obstacles dressed in weirdness for the sake of weirdness (see: fish-axe). The lighting, camera, set production, and costume design are actually solid in my opinion, which is why the trailer makes you think it's watchable. I'm actually quite confused by the positive scores. I watched this with a group of friends of which some were irritated to the point of anger. Overall, this is a complete waste of time. Expand
  21. Jul 29, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I honestly don't understand all the positive reviews of this movie. (Mild spoilers ahead.) From a believability point of view, it's a failure wherever you look. The entire premise of the train is absurd. Apparently this rich evil villain built this train/track in the ~1 year between when this global warming cure was discovered/launched and when that cure backfired into a catastrophe? A bunch of rebels armed with sticks defeat enemies with automatic weapons and night vision goggles IN THE DARK (with the rebels trapped on one end of a narrow car with a narrower passageway behind them) and over and over win other similar battles against similar odds? The villain is an all-but-mustache-twirling/cat stroking condescending cliché. This train is packed to the brim with unbelievability. My suspension of disbelief muscles wore out in the first 15 minutes. It also felt like the writer/director had just read Hugh Howey's Wool and reduced it to one dimension.

So that leaves the allegory. I suppose that worked if you don't mind being repeatedly hit over the head with 500lb allegories, including the inevitable villain explaining the allegory at the end in case you missed it the first 37 times.

I suppose I'm giving this a zero in part because I'm angry about being so misled by all the high scores. On it's own, this film merits a 2 or a 3. But I feel something has to be done to counteract all the absurdly high positive reviews. I want my money back. Everyone that gave this film more than a 5 owes me a penny.
  22. Jun 27, 2014
    This movie is so bad that you can't turn it off!!! I've watched this with guilty pleasure because everything is so loosely put together it's almost laughable. Still the acting was fair and the lore was interesting. I advice watching this with a big sack of popcorn.
  23. Jul 8, 2014
    This movie is so bad, I left the cinema after about 60% because I've had enough. Every movie with Chris Evans doesn't mean its a Captain America movie.
  24. Jul 2, 2014
    This movie was excellently crafted. First off, the concept for the movie itself is imaginative and clever. The execution was even better quite honestly. It was a dark and intense drama/sci-fi with great writing and well-done action scenes. The story was amazing. It was interesting to observe this great schism between the rich and poor people stuck on this giant train. I think what I liked most about this film is that it strongly focused on human nature as a whole. It shows that if a scenario like this occurred, then the stronger people in society could potentially turn on the weaker people. It was a very emotional movie as well and this was in part because of the excellent acting. Chris Evans was fantastic in this movie. There was one scene he was in that legitimately made me swell up a little bit. This is an excellent movie as a whole. Please check it out if you can. Expand
  25. Jul 3, 2014
    wow! it's awesome and fantastic, it's certainly the best movie this year~, Mr bong, as far as I know, one of the most remarkable director in South Korea.
  26. Jul 4, 2014
    Surprising and metaphorical this moves grabs you and doesn't let go from start to finish. The sad thing is some people didn't get the story and go as far as to call it nonsensical. Nothing could be further from the truth. Even the crazy premise, somehow makes sense in the end. It is also quite a provocative film. It enlightens and it entertains proving that the two are not mutually exclusive. I highly recommend it. Expand
  27. Jul 28, 2014
    Totally improbable dystopian fable. Good scifi must contain probable or at least possible technology. This one never explains what powers the engine or how the tracks survive decades of high speed use in artic conditions with no maintenance. Of course a really good story would allow me to forgive "magical" technology. But this one is a heavy-handed, plodding allegory of class warfare. The predictable progress from one end of the train to the other is achingly tedious. The ending of this scientifically ignorant production is perfect. It shows the majestic maritime polar bear roaming an alpine landscape. Expand
  28. Jul 3, 2014
    Best film so far this year - please treat yourself to it! It's stunning visuals and explosive sounds are best experienced in the theater. This film is a gorgeously crafted SciFi masterpiece, and will not soon be forgotten. A poor rebel leading an uprising in a dystopian world is an overdone concept, but this movie delivers it in a fresh, exciting, and brutal new way. This movie is full of emotion, action, incredible acting (hats off to Chris Evans - what a tour de force!) and will keep you enthralled from start to finish. The environmental subtext is only a catalyst for the plot, not a preachy PSA as some have said. The movie is bleak, but ultimately inspires hope and imagination. That's what SciFi is supposed to do, enchant you with a wondrous story, with amazing impossibilities, to entertain the incredible human imagination and let you explore a world such as this. That's what this film does. It is unstoppable, original, and extraordinary. The train is incorporated so well, playing a key role in each scene and action sequence, with every train car being diverse, new and giving you a glimpse of life on the train. Enough is revealed for the story, and enough is left up to the viewer for their own inventive entertainment. This film is one for the ages, a rare gem in today's film world. It is chilling, provocative, shocking, exciting, and above all, wildly entertaining. Please - for once - listen to the critics on this one! They are so right! Usually I find I disagree with critics quite a bit, but this film well deserves it's critical acclaim. I find the audience reviews shocking - especially those which criticize the science and logic. Films like Inception get away with their impossibilities, and this films concept is more feasible. It does an excellent job of convincing the viewer that such a train could exist and sustain life for years, even if that train doesn't exist today. The film is as explosively imaginative as you are willing to immerse yourself. If you can't handle it's originality, it's honesty, or it's brutality, you can at least admire it's mastery. Snowpiercer is the peak of its genre - a true masterpiece through and through. It's truly astounding, and will keep you on the edge of your seat, with your hand over your mouth, anticipating what will come next, what someone will decide, and where the train - and the movie- will go. I have never been so engrossed in a film and plan to see Snowpiercer many more times in theaters. Do yourself a favor - ignore the cynical users who criticize it's Science Fiction elements - THATS WHAT SCIENCE FICTION IS, fiction! Enjoy it for all that it is, it's worth it. This film is on par with Inception for SciFi, better than The Hunger Games or Divergent for caste-system apocalyptic quality, and so original and insane that you'll be reeling for hours. Expand
  29. Jul 6, 2014
    -Really predictable -Scientifically silly - why would anyone have a train constantly in motion in a post-apocalyptic society let alone somehow maintain the ecosystem as described...on a train... -mediocre special effects -very unimaginative plot -the train concept is really absurd -this was more of a phantasy movie than sci-fi, really... +good acting especially by Chris Evans
    +good action scenes

overall, i don't get what people see in this - it's certainly an allegory of modern/western/wealthy/wasteful life in a sense which is admirable but it doesn't need to be framed in such an inaccessible awkward way that this "sci-fi" attempts to do it
  30. Aug 1, 2014
    Snowpiercer is a very pretentious and dumb movie trying to pass itself for social commentary on class warfare but utterly fails at it.

What the writers and director forgot when making the movie is that at its core class warfare is about resources: you got a small minority controlling most of the resources and a huge majority fighting for the scraps. It's a powerful topic because it's as
    old as humanity and echoes to one of our core flaws as human beings: greed.

But this whole concept goes out the window when there isn't any resource left to fight over anyway. Indeed the movie is about a bunch of people living in a small train in a post-apocalyptic world where there's nothing else left in the world! So what exactly is the point of having a bunch of people in that train starving to death for no reason when:

a) they have enough food for everyone. It's clearly shown when you see how well the other passengers are living.

b) those people aren't even working for the leisure of the "upper class", they aren't producing anything or working, they're literally just there to starve for no reason, simply as a plot device.

c) they all live in a freaking small train, they're all miserable anyway. There's no "good life" to be had at the expense of others, unlike in the real world.

The movie doesn't provide any answer, it's all form over substance, pure shock value with no understanding of the underlying issues that create those very real problems.

But even with that aside it's just an all-around bad movie in general, with next to no character development, bad pacing, bad dialog. The stupidity of the whole story is what pushes it into unbearable territory. A shame because Chris Evans does give a very good performance all throughout.
  31. Jul 14, 2014
    An intriguing premise, committed performance from Evans, and surprisingly good special effects, Snowpiercer is one of the better recent post-apocalyptic films.
  32. Jul 9, 2014
    Snowpiercer is, if nothing else, entertaining, thought-provoking and original. It shifts gears almost from moment to moment; somber to silly to serious to savage, but it's a fun ride throughout. The sticklers will find plenty of absurdities to nitpick, but to take it literally from start to finish would miss the forest for the trees. It speaks more of the unsustainability of our world economic structure than you get in the typical roundtable news show. This is the type of movie that becomes a cult favorite, then gets a remake years down the line with a bigger budget and watered down script, sacrificing soul for spectacle. Expand
  33. Jul 13, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Snowpiercer shouldn't work as a film, but somehow it does. The whole premise is so unlikely that most viewers would have to suspend disbelief just to watch it in the first place.

The themes of survival, class warfare, and sustainability are all covered in the microcosm of a dystopian "rattling ark." The storyline gives the viewers just enough information to draw conclusions about the world that they're witnessing and the cryptic symbolism gives audiences something to mull over (for example, what was the meaning of the fish blood ritual prior to the meelee sequence between the rebels and the train security forces? I'm assuming it correlates to Mason's later explanation of the aquarium later on and the idea of "culling" the population to keep things in balance).

While the cast performances overall were outstanding, I found Tilda Swinton to be particularly brilliant here as the comically draconian Mason; as was Kang-ho Song as Nam, who is arguably the true protagonist of the film.

Interestingly, I rented this on iTunes and watched it at home without realizing that it is a current release in theaters. I guess I like the trend of current releases being available on home video, but I also enjoy seeing movies on the big screen in a theater setting, so I hope the instant gratification of digital downloads doesn't make the theatre experience go completely "extinct."
  34. Jul 15, 2014
    Oh my here we go again-an awful mindless movie almost completely without qualities except for having nice visuals and few serious actors involved gets insanely positive reviews from the world most eminent film critics.Those guys are obviously paid by studios and producers to write good things about bad movies-no other logical explanation-while some great pieces of cinema art passes almost totally unnoticed because there's no one to care about.So my question is:do we really need movie critics like this anymore? Expand
  35. Jul 8, 2014
    This is pure science fiction - an idea supported by a story taking place in an imaginative setting. And when pure scifi works, it really works well - that is exactly what happens here. As with most science fiction, you will need to let the "science" take a back seat to the "fiction," but if you do you will have a great time.

A welcome break from blockbusters, Snowpiercer is a fairly
    unique take on both the apocalyptic and the totalitarian. Although it has many elements stitched from prior movies (hints of everything from Old Boy to Soylent Green, to Brazil and everywhere in-between are cribbed here), the overall effect comes off as fresh and more than a little exciting. It is definitely a departure from the standard CGI-Blow-Stuff-Up-Aliens-Robots-and-Stuff-and-Such fair that is served weekly in US cinemas. We are treated to literally-straightforward story line (get to the front of the train), creative battle sequences, tension, humor, social commentary sufficiently removed from the present so as to be bearable, a dash of zaniness, and a satisfying (but not obvious) ending. Overall, a great experience.

More of this, less Transformers 4, please. Unless you want to keep eating your protein blocks...
  36. Jul 13, 2014
    This was a silly movie and frustrating to sit through. I felt like I was sold a thoughtful sci-fi movie in the style of great dystopian classics like Bladerunner or The Matrix but instead got a comic book story for gamers. Snowpiercer is of a dreary, cartoony martial arts film with bad cgi and an embarrassing, behind-the-curtain climax that just kept getting dumber and dumber. I can understand appreciating this as a Luc Besson/John Woo kind of splat-tastic, opera-of-violence thing, but even in those terms it doesn't leave an impression. Expand
  37. Jul 11, 2014
    Its a solid movie but very overrated by the critics that made my exceptions a little to high for this movie. It delivers with good action but not much else.
  38. Jul 6, 2014
    As usual, an original, engrossing film from Joon-Ho Bong. It deserves an award just for tricking the audience so completely into believing that they are actually on a train during the entire film. Bong successfully mixes action and philosophy as he creates a possible future world where a global-warming cure has gone terribly wrong and the terrible price paid to save the human race. All the actors were excellent, and you could just enjoy the action – or be constantly surprised by the twists and turns of the ideas in the plot. Wonderful way to spend a hot summer afternoon. PS: Yes, Tilda Swinton can be funny! Expand
  39. Jun 30, 2014
    I really didn't like this movie. With all the critical acclaim and knowing the director and many of the actors, I was really excited to see it. I can't remember the last time I was this disappointed. I normally despise the critics who just seem like they want to disagree with the masses, but I really don't see what was so great about this movie.

The idea was good, the acting was good,
    the fight scenes were great. Sounds like a good recipe for Sci-Fi action. However, I could never decide if the movie was taking itself seriously or not, which I think is a very bad thing for a film. It switched between being part of a Willy Wonka musical number to a gritty fight from Gangs of New York in an instant, and I just couldn't settle in to a feeling. It didn't seem like anyone in the movie was all that concerned about what was going on. I found the plot entirely predictable as well. Expand
  40. Jul 1, 2014
    If this video wasn't talking to me about global warming every 10 minutes, I would have given it a 5/10 but it is! It can't help itself! I am sick of the message, and sick of the fact that every critic and news channel LOVES global warming dogma. Get real, there is very little people can do to slow global warming.
  41. Jul 4, 2014
    I will say that I just saw this movie yesterday and I was so Impressed
    by the movie in all aspects. The story was Awesome and the fact that
    the whole movie takes place on a train made it even cooler and that they
    could have so many different scenery locations for a train was breathtaking. The actors all did a fantastic job and Chris Evans was terrific but the supporting cast was
    stellar.I will say the best part in my opinion was the action it was top-notch and full throttle throughout and yes there is a lot of talking but when the action arrives it is some of the best I have seen in years and to be honest I would recommend this movie to anyone. I will be buying this Day One on Blu-Ray and I also intend to buy the graphic novel online and read that as well. It doesn't beat my favorite movie of all time which is the original "Oldboy" but this is in my Top 10 favorite movies of all time!!!!! Expand
  42. Jul 11, 2014
    Why wasn't this film brought to the attention of more people?!

With that out of the way, this movie is one of those rare gems that make you understand why we go to the theater. On almost all points, this film was flawless. This film was methodically pieced together actor by actor, car by car.

The cast for this film was top to bottom flawless. Whether the general consensus is in
    agreement with me or not, Chris Evans is an amazing actor. His supporting cast of Jamie Bell, John Hurt and Tilda Swinton could not have been better picked. They each filled their roles extremely well.

The film's setting and backdrop were beautifully crafted. It was awesome to see how the cars gradually got better and better as they moved towards the engine. I was happy to see it wasn't just yuk and then all of the sudden lovely.

The reason why I could not give this a 10 is there are certain parts in the film that make you scratch your head, be it an unkillable man or letting someone you don't know deliver eggs to the back of the train. But when this movie is done you are happy you saw it. From the amazing characters to the jaw dropping monologue from Chris Evans, this movie is every bit a 9 out of 10!

-James Von Doom
  43. Jul 11, 2014
    For the fourth time in seven years, alien robots have descended on movie theaters across America, filling up three, sometimes four theaters at your local multiplex. The 200 million dollar behemoth is accompanied by an extravagant add campaign and numerous merchandise tie-ins.

As audiences flocked to the new Transformers movie, a much smaller, more unknown film rolled into theaters.
    Well, only a few theaters. In fact, you’d be lucky to find this Little Engine That Could of a film near you. That film is Snowpiercer. Its journey to American shores is as epic and filled with drama as the actual train in the film, but more on that later.

Snowpiercer tells the story of a near future Earth that has been ravaged by climate change. In an effort to counteract global warming, humans experiment with releasing various chemicals into the environment. The experiment backfires and a new ice age freezes the Earth, killing most of humanity. The few remaining survivors board a high-speed train where they endlessly circle the Earth. As we board the train at the start of the film, it has been circling the Earth continuously for the last 17 years.

The entire train is a small ecosystem of humanity. People of all nationalities and social standing co-exist together. It’s somewhat like a modern day Noah’s Ark. Like with our own society, there are the halves and the have nots. The people in the back of the train live in filth, cramped on top of one another. Their main food source are mysterious black gelatin bricks. All this while the people in the front of the train live the life of luxury. Eating gourmet meals and indulging in all the luxuries that a life on Earth would have to offer.

One can’t help but make the parallel to Rosa Parks and her struggle during the civil rights movement. In Snowpiercer, the passengers at the back of the train are treated like second class citizens and are essentially prisoners in their own home.

Soon we are introduced to Curtis, played by Chris Evans. That’s right, everybody’s favorite shield wielding Avenger, Captain America. Curtis is tired of eating black goo every day and he’s tired of his people being treated like rats who have stowed away. His objective? To get to the front of the train. A task that could prove quite difficult when confronted by ax-wielding ninjas and other various obstacles.

Snowpiercer is easily one of the most unique action films you will see (if you're lucky) all summer. The film is based on a French graphic novel, directed by a Korean director and comprised of a predominantly Western cast. The director is not just any director either, his name is Bong Joon-ho and he’s one of the best directors in South Korea. His films Memories of Murder, The Host, and Mother are some of the best films of the last decade.

If it wasn’t for Bong Joon-ho, Snowpiercer might not have even made it to American shores, at least not in the form that the director intended. Harvey Weinstein of The Weinstein Co., who was set to distribute the film, wanted the director to cut over 20 minutes from the film because he felt American audiences “wouldn’t understand it.” Bong Joon-ho was having none of it and the US release was delayed for almost a year.

Ultimately, the director and Weinstein came to a compromise. Weinstein wouldn’t force Bong Joon-ho to cut anything from the film, but instead of releasing it in 1,000 theaters across the country, it would only get distributed to about 100 art house cinemas and out-of-the-way multiplexes, all but assuring that Snowpiercer would go unseen by most of America.

The ironic thing about Snowpiercer is that it’s not some subtitled black and white French film or something. It’s a fast-paced action film led by Captain America himself. You would think Evans’ face alone would guarantee that audiences would come out to see the film. I guess Harvey Weinstein disagrees. The rest of the film is rounded out by two Oscar winners, Tilda Swinton (Michael Clayton) and Octavia Spencer (The Help). As well as Oscar nominee John Hurt.

The fact that most people will never see Snowpiercer is a shame because it’s an amazing film, filled with interesting themes about freedom and class distinction. The film really makes you think about what it means to be truly free. The people aboard the train have the illusion of freedom and free will. In reality, The Snowpiercer is a prison and not just for the people struggling in the back, but for everybody that calls it home.

Snowpiercer also has great atmosphere and Bong Joon-ho fills every frame of the cramped confines with fine detail. The film also features a menacing soundtrack that amps up the excitement as the train comes barreling around curves.

As Curtis and his ragtag group of freedom fighters make their way towards the front of the train, each train car has its own unique feel. Some almost feel like the passengers are stepping into another world as they enter each car. They get weirder and wackier and more interesting as the j
  44. Jul 14, 2014
    Original and great charecters, just enough back story without boring you. Plenty of action scenes. Totally unbelievable, but that also adds to the greatness of this movie!
  45. Jul 14, 2014
    Bong Joon-Ho's "Snowpiercer" is one of the most ambitious and grisly movies of the year. Chris Evans is really good as is the rest of the cast, but the movie also has it's fair share of action.
  46. Jul 19, 2014
    I don't understand some people who rate negative. This movie is one of the best movies of 2014. Korean director adopts that better than other ones. Lastly US movies' stories were being not good. So other countries story can be better...
  47. Aug 6, 2014
    Why do I feel like the director of this movie watched the Hunger Games followed by Under Siege 2 (or any other train movie) and then decided to make a really bad combination of the two? It saddens me to think that people are giving this movie any kind of positive review since it is so generic and has dialog that doesn't seem to translate over to an American audience very well. Skip this movie. Your time is worth something. Expand
  48. Jul 20, 2014
    If you think Snowpiercer is great there's a Canadian sci-fi series from the 1970's called Starlost that will (apparently) blow your mind. It had a similar premise to Snowpiercer only set in space, and it was about the same quality (okay, a bit lower. Starlost was horrible.) This is merely a step above bad... very much a B-movie, with some digital effects and some decent acting.
  49. Jul 11, 2014
    First off, I love scifi and I love apocalyptic, but this is almost unwatchable. I was looking forward to seeing this since my satellite provider made it available on the same day as theaters. Fortunately I was out only $8 instead of $20. I give the acting an A, the set design is an A, the cinematography a B+, the script a C+, the story itself is only a C- and the directing a D. Overall, it was the A list actors that carries this garbage through. Those that gave it 10s were either paid to do it or have absolutely no concept of a good film. Expand
  50. Jul 8, 2014
    This film was interesting and had some moments both tension and humor - but I felt that overall it's lacking something, or maybe it just wasn't that consistent? It's a sci-fi film because it takes place in the future on an perpetual motion train, upon which the entire surviving human race is imprisoned. Its an action film because it involves armed prisoners trying to escape - it's a drama/thriller because some peoples children are being taken hostage for mysterious reasons - etc etc. I saw this at the theater for $5 (Sundance Cinemas - Student of Life Tuesdays) and it was worth it - I might not have felt that way if it was $20 ticket. Interesting yes, but NOT the best film I've seen this year! I gave it 6 stars for some originality - but the acting, score, and action scenes still needed a little polish - it's worth watching if you don't have to pay much, don't mind violence, and you are a fan of independent martial arts and action films. There's something in it for everyone - but not everyone will like it. Expand
  51. Jul 6, 2014
    Post-apocaliptic dystopia. Our planet gets frozen after failed attempts to stop global warming. Everything dies. The only living people, flora and fauna are contained inside a very long super-fast train which is an engineering marvel. It goes around the world in a loop which takes one year. People are divided into classes, poor in the tail, privileged in the front. Inevitable conflict takes most of the film. There is a big amount of blood and gore. Fighting takes a significant part of the movie. It seems to be real even though there are too many holes and obvious oops-es. But a script in an action movie like this one cannot be taken seriously. Stunning cinematography and good acting. An intense piece of entertainment. Expand
  52. Jul 12, 2014
    i'm giving this a 2 because of tilda swinton. she is a wonderfully fiendish bad guy. the bad teeth and great costuming are the icing on the cake. ed harris, too, is fantastic. oh, and i liked the idea of a giant train, hurtling through the frozen world. the rest of the movie is high budget crap. it careens from gorefest to quasi-surrealistic and back again. should've picked one theme and stuck with it. when i see dystopian films with the same old tropes--everyone in matching rags, starving, but not thin enough, all wearing fingerless gloves--i curse "mad max". that great film spawned so many wannabes. Expand
  53. Aug 4, 2014
    This movie was dead on arrival. There is a palpable sense of flatness to the acting, which comes from actors not believing in the lines they are saying. Can't blame them, the dialogue was inane and the whole concept is a reheated mishmash of dystopian tropes. Even the normally interesting Tilda Swinton is just walking through this flick. I'm guessing the only reason this movie got made was because Hunger Games has created a sub genre of "old timey people in rags vs the pompous über class" and filmmakers think audiences will just gobble up anything in this vein. Walked out, got our money back. And this is from people who enjoyed Edge of Tomorrow, Apes movies and GoT, heck we even thought Hunger Games wasn't too bad. This movie just didn't have the stuff. Expand
  54. Jul 15, 2014
    Snowpiercer is simply one of the worst movies I have ever seen. Allow me to be honest, This film was made as global warming propaganda. It ends with a close up of a Polar Bear. I kid you not. The plot is simply a familiar idea on a a train. I didn't care about the characters at all and some were quite annoying. The main fight scene was simply actors hacking at each other with rubber axes making unconvincing foley. What a waste of time. Expand
  55. Jul 23, 2014
    Snowpiercer feels like the train its title refers to - heavily segmented in style, tone, and theme. Though there are some cinematographic high moments and wonderfully choreographed and intriguingly conceptual fight sequences, most of the film felt flat to me. The steampunk dystopia has become a very tired trend in blockbuster cinema (The Hunger Games, select bits of The Purge 2), and director-screenwriter Joon-ho Bong, instead of offering a new take on the genre, instead chooses to belabor the traditional tropes we have come to expect. Coal-miner chic clothing from the poor? Check. Great Gatsby hedonism and big hair from the rich? Check. And for all the emphasis given to the CGI panoramas of the bleak world of 2032, I would have hoped the effects would not have come off looking quite so...fake.

I have yet to be impressed with a Chris Evans character, and Snowpiercer did not change my mind about him. I have to cut him some slack, though, because the script definitely did not give him many chances to step outside his Captain America comfort zone of grim tension. Ed Harris makes a serviceable mad scientist villain, and Tilda Swinton is satisfactorily Tilda Swinton-y, but no one has much to do in terms of depth and development.

Finally, the plot simply tries to accomplish too much. It's as if Joon made a checklist of all the good trappings of a dystopian/apocalyptic thriller and tried to mash them into a diamond, when it really ends up an underdeveloped, confusing amalgam of climate catastrophe and Elysium social disorder, with a Matrix-style telekinetic savant thrown in for good measure. I can't say I enjoyed Snowpiercer. I can say that it was very exciting: my heart was pounding, my fists were as clenched as Chris Evan's jaw in any given scene. I was thrilled. And I think that's all that Snowpiercer was trying to accomplish.
  56. Jul 8, 2014
    This film offers an unusual take on the future: the world is a frozen wasteland and the only survivors exist on a long train that continuously travels around the globe. The poor huddled masses at the back (led by Chris Evans) decide to plead their case to the leader, so they undertake a mission to get to the front. At times it seems like an action film, but the fight scenes are often full of splashed blood and blurred action. At other times, it's an apocalyptic drama with bold statements about class and society. If you're willing to overlook the giant lapses in logic, you may find this movie to be an absorbing and original experience. BTW, Tilda Swinton is having great fun with her bespeckled, toothy character. Expand
  57. Jul 6, 2014
    Well shot movie, fast paced, visually great to look at. The story is sophomoric, to say the least, but that doesn't bother me as much as the lack of character development. I wanted to care more about the characters, it just wasn't there. The slow-mo/campy "big" moments also detracted from the story rather than adding to it, that aside, technically the visuals/shots are really great. Acting is solid, and Swinton's over-the-top character was strangely fun to enjoy,( though I'm sure many will cringe at her performance). Expand
  58. Jul 8, 2014
    Very solid thriller with lots of crazy, inventive turns every few minutes. Swinton and Evans are very good; this is the kind of sci-fi that rarely gets made these days. Character development and action set pieces can exist side by side, but apparently as there were no toys for sale here mainstream Hollywood isn't interested.

Sure, the CGI isn't the best, but ILM and Weta can't work on
    every movie. If the CGI is taking you out of the movie, then you need to reevaluate what's most important in a film. Expand
  59. Jul 19, 2014
    Many bad reviews are stating the obvious plot holes and logic of the premise of the film. The film is far more allegorical, and a metaphor for our society today. I enjoyed the scenes of entering each different train cart. It sure feels like a video game, and a twisting and turning wild ride. It is sure to be provocative, and violent for the light-hearted.
  60. Jul 3, 2014
    This was such an interesting movie and I'm definitely glad I went out of my way to see it. There were a few sequences, including the ending, that really made me question what it was that it exactly was trying to do. But the journey was really interesting and the commentary on class warfare was very interesting too.
    All the actors in the movie were superb ranging from Evans' hero with the
    troubled past to Swinton's over-the-top enforcer that loves the sight of a massacre. Everything was well done and everyone in the movie did a fantastic job of selling a world and a system like this was great. As I said about the ending though, it does take a weird turn at the end and it's really the only time you have to question someone's actions throughout the entire movie. But everything else is extremely well done.
    I would definitely recommend seeing this movie once, if it's playing around you. It's worth the viewing if just to see what happens. While it's not the best movie I've ever seen, which is what some people were saying about it, it's a very good action/thriller that you owe to yourself to watch.
  61. Aug 24, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is a powerful film, from start to finish. If it doesn't stick with you afterwards, you didn't watch it correctly.

"Snowpiercer" is a hard movie to watch many times. There is violence, but the hardships go beyond that: all the basic faults of humanity get packed into this two hours, contained in constricting metal boxes. Not so much preaching as just placing it there, in front of our eyes.

The story progresses in a very confined space, with a limited cast, and it feels like there's a knife pressed to your throat every second of the way, ready to steal away one character and then another, until you have no idea who is going to be left.

When the entire movie takes place in a train, there is only so much you can do - and only so far you can run. This element is played very well, subtly, yet somehow the train becomes the whole world, from the head to the tail.

In conclusion: this is a disturbing, confounding, terrible and frightening movie, comprised of very simple elements and very few moving parts, yet the story moves on, brutally and relentlessly, like the train through the blocks of snow and ice.

Not for the faint of heart, and just like in life, there is little to no room for a happy ending.
  62. Aug 12, 2014
    Snowpiercer is both interesting and compelling with many levels of complexity. It is filled with a wonderful performance from Chris Evans and incredible special effects. In conclusion, Snowpiercer is an incredible experience and is one that everyone should watch.
  63. Sep 13, 2014
    One of the most interesting films of the year no doubt with a great cast but doesn't ever get to the point were you feel something seriously is at stake. Interesting concept that was a little rough around the edges.
  64. Jul 27, 2014
    Interesting, different enough and very entertaining. The film uses beautiful metaphors which makes it emotive especially towards the end. It also helps that there are several twists along the way and that the performances are very good. Fist time I´ve seen Chris Evans giving a real performance (Marvel movies don´t allow that since they usually go for the basics, so I´m glad I discovered him in this other film). Ed Harris is always on point and the rest of the cast did their thing too. A recommendable watch. Expand
  65. Jul 12, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This could have been one of the best movies of the year. But there are so many little stupid issues throughout the movie that it takes the whole film down a notch. I'll enumerate them:
    1. The fish- why the hell did the army use a fish in battle? Also, why the hell did that guy trip on it? Was that supposed to be funny? All it did was make me question the director's capabilities.
    2. The psychic- why was the girl psychic? It didn't add anything to the movie and was only really utilized once or twice. It was unnecessary and took away realism from the movie.
    3. Dentures- why did that woman just randomly take out her dentures? Why? That didn't do anything. It was just dumb.
    4. Sushi bar- what kind of train has a sushi bar that's only used twice a year? This isn't a huge complaint. Just a minor issue.
    5. Invincible dude- one of the enemies was some guy that was more or less invincible. Why? What purpose did that serve? Did he have to be? It just made the movie less realistic.
    6. Dialogue- at times the conversations between characters are ridiculous. There is a point where the lead character talks about cannibalism. Rather than being a serious moment, the poor dialogue makes it laughable.
    7. Japanese people- why were there so many Japanese people on the train? That makes no sense if they all boarded in one location. Also it doesn't add anything to the movie. It just makes conversation harder.

Those are some of my complaints. There are a lot of really annoying issues that could have easily been taken out. Had they been, I would have given this movie a 9/10. It poses some very interesting moral and philosophical questions about what it means to live. I really enjoyed a lot of it. But its faults were too many and too annoying to give it anything other than a 6.
    It's still worth seeing. Just expect a bumpy ride.
  66. Jul 19, 2014
    Interesting and engaging from a political stand point, "Snowpiercer" provides a well-meshed combination of action, political structures and even ways we view society. The premise is such a unique gem in that it throws in quite a bit of twist and turns. That's what makes the movie so interesting and even elevates the film to a bigger standard. I will say that some of the characters serve more of a purpose than others, especially Curtis (Chris Evans). His performance was probably the most real and awkwardly enough true to the American dream (if I may use that term properly). It does however suffer from a not so great pace at first, but once the action picks up, you're completely invested in this movie. Overall, it's a great action film with a very engaging premise. I give it an A-! Expand
  67. Jul 13, 2014
    Bong Joon Ho's SNOWPIERCER is a bit of a conundrum. The filmmaking is sloppy, it's way too long without an original bone in it's body, but I was also totally delighted until the pompous last scene. Ho has the guts to kill off much of his cast and leave open doors with little explanations. That's why I was so confused. It's not a good movie but it looks great, has superb action sequences but it's plot and theme are simplistic and banal at best. Good things, bad things, could be the core of this film that feels both ambitious and a slack off at the same time. Again, I'm perplexed! Expand
  68. Jul 17, 2014
    Snowpiercer, may not be perfect, but it is a very exciting film. The movie takes place on the Snowpiercer, a train that holds the rest of humanity after the entire world is frozen. The wealthy live in the front of the train while the poor live in the last cars. The train circles around the entire globe with an engine that is able to run forever. The train sustains itself with a garden and numerous animals, while it uses the ice along its path for water. The main character of the movie, Curtis, is a man who lives in the back of the train. He and his fellow passengers in the back are treated poorly and forced to live in a small area with many people. Sick of living in forced poverty, Curtis and the rest of the passengers revolt against those keeping them in the back. Snowpiercer focuses on the corrupt society of the train and how Curtis and the others decide to change the way they live. The movie is fast paced and interesting while going through the various types of cars. For those who don't like gory movies I suggest to either avoid this movie or to be cautious. Numerous fight scenes include knifes and swords going straight into the chests of people. Although there are a few holes in the story it holds up well and is easily one of the best movies of the summer. Expand
  69. Aug 28, 2014
    One of the best and smartest movies ever made.Great acting and visuals. Don't even try putting this movie into any category. It's just that unique and original.
  70. Aug 23, 2014
    I just finished watching this on demand and I must say it's one of the most exciting and entertaining films I've seen all year! While some of the plot elements feel a little too familiar and reused, such as the "post-apocalyptic" element and "only a small handful of people survived" element, it's still easily made up for through its smart and masterful storytelling and acting, as well as the impressive visuals considering its semi-low budget. Chris Evans gives a strong lead performance. Tilda Swinton finds herself in yet another strict and intimidating role. The rest of the supporting cast, such as Jamie Bell, John Hurt, Octavia Spencer, Ed Harris, etc also did really well. Overall, it's one of the best sci-fi films this year and one of my favorite films of the year thus far! Expand
  71. Aug 9, 2014
    Dark, brutal and bereft from an excess of mind-numbing explosions , the well paced and acted Snowpiercer represents science fiction in its simplest yet finest form.
  72. Aug 3, 2014
    Director Joon-ho Bong has taken an outlandish premise and crafted a film that is beautiful and unforgettable. The themes are very thinly veiled and it's not difficult to see the convenient lies that we will tell ourselves to justify the status quo. We just rarely see them so close at hand as we do in Snowpiercer. The privileged chosen by birth, convinced that they belong and that those born into crippling poverty belong in the slums. Snowpiercer is the story of society, including the inhuman suffering that society is often built upon. Expand
  73. Jul 10, 2014
    A whimsical dystopia with a (gasp) perchant for class warfare. Like the train on which it is set, the plot follows a number of twists and turns but was always going where it ended up. Unlike many films of this sort; the climax is engaging, appropriate, and not a let-down or a cop-out.

Don't ask why moving around the train requires one to pass through saunas, kitchens, and schools in a
    way that defies practicality, or how the perpetual motion machine at the front works, or what the stuff is that somehow sent the entire world into winter faster than a nuclear war ever could. And don't question the caricatures that populate this train (Tilda Swinton in particular seemed to be having a blast). The movie has fun action, and is just cerebral enough to hold a viewer's interest, and is slickly produced.

An odd note was the idea of casting Captain America as a grizzled antihero, but Chris Evans is a good enough actor to sell it. CGI pops up occasionally, and isn't quite up with the best films but it holds up enough.

It's a tough movie to find in theaters, but worth the search.
  74. Jul 10, 2014
    Una buena pelicula donde te muestra la gente como batalla para sobre vivir cuando en el poder solo hay gente que quiere todo para ellos. buenas imagenes, peleas, solo creo que un poco lenta en la mitad pero todo bien
  75. Jul 14, 2014
    The movie and story itself are somewhat mediocre, but the visuals, and the soundscape of the movie nailed it, and the overall atmosphere and society portrayed in the movie, lift the movie barely above the muck of mediocre, It is also a refreshing movie in the sense it does not try to paint the people struggling for survival as saints, rather it shows people as grim as possible, caged animals struggling to survive, no matter what.

Pros:
    -Despite showing little of the scenery outside the train, the visual are Gorgeous.
    -Soundscape has been well designed and executed, many sci-fi films today do not pay that much attention to this part of the movie.
    -The main protagonist delivers one of the best one liners i have encountered in the last 10 years, towards the end of the movie, while talking with a presumed addict(will not go into details, you have to see it yourself)
    -The cast, well most of it, did an excellent job. Especially Tilda Swinton.

Cons:
    -The backstory, and story itself, apart from the immediate things going on in the movie, are rather shallow, and they leave you begging for more info.
    -The movie ends in an awkward cliffhanger, leaving the viewer to ask countless questions of what happened to who, who survived, and how long...
    -Also the movies premise, a train that goes through all continents, in a year, is rather... not well thought out, that train must be travelling awfully slow, considering it takes a local Finnish train, stops and all, 13 hours to travel 800+ kilometers...
  76. Jul 9, 2014
    With perfect action sequences, great acting, and a compelling story, Snowpiercer races to the top of the list of the very best action films ever made. Chris Pines gives his best performance to date along with a comically fierce Tilda Swinton. Joon-ho Bong manages to hold the action every minute of the 2 hour runtime. It's a hell of a fun ride.
  77. Jul 6, 2014
    An exhilarating science fiction thrill ride unlike probably any other movie I've ever seen (but with familiar elements included that reminded me of everything from "Battlestar Gallactica" to the "Mad Max" movies to "The Hunger Games" and even "The Truman Show"). Suspension of belief is essential in watching this one, but, given its metaphorical narrative, that shouldn't be too difficult except the most unimaginative and curmudgeonly. With a terrific mix of action and humor, violence that never gets overly gratuitous and terrific performances from the likes of Tilda Swinton, Ed Harris and Alison Pill, this is a movie one soon won't forget. Expand
  78. Jul 6, 2014
    I don't know....this was a pretty weird movie. lol. It's a one of a kind, I'll say that much. The characters were portrayed very well by the actors. There was a lot of dying all over the place, so it kinda got annoying. However, it was an ok movie overall.
  79. Sep 3, 2014
    Overall, this movie was great! A few of the actors could have done better with their roles (which is the primary reason why I give this film an 8/10). However, the story was very creative; it is yet another dystopian plot without all the young adult cliches that infest novels/movies such as Hunger Games, Divergent, etc. The dark humor knitted throughout scenes of bloodshed and seriousness also helped keep me entertained and engaged. The political and social issues brought to light by the metaphor of the train are problematic of today's society, which is why I believe this film did such a great job! Again, my primary criticism is the acting during some scenes. Highly recommend. Expand
  80. Jun 30, 2014
    I love the whole world of Snowpiercer, but the hard part to follow as the audience was the Korean characters conversations. Without the subs, I couldn't follow. I did amaze with all actors and their characters, until I realized, "Truman Show Man. #nice." Chris Evans nailed his character as always.
  81. Jul 3, 2014
    Güzel bir sistem eleştiri yapan bir film. Tren yolculuğu ve kıyamet gibi bir olguyu bu kadar güzel anlatacak bir film zannetmiyorum.
    Özellikle Chris Evans muhteşem bir performans göstermiş...
    Puanım: 10/8.2
  82. Jul 6, 2014
    Snowpiercer is an interesting, thought-provoking movie, and one of the better movies currently in theaters n now. The strong aspect of the movie is the idea it asks about what it means to be human. I highly recommend it.
  83. Jul 7, 2014
    Movie is generally OK, but ending (and the last part of the movie) is severally lacking. They definitely should have handled it better than they actually did
  84. Jul 10, 2014
    Фильм потрясающий, вот совсем ничего не ждал, а получил море удовольствия. Для РФ фильм можно сказать является очень качественной пародией на РЖД, кто ездил на поезде в России поймёт испытает почти то же самое чувство, что в этом фильме. Порадовал Крис Эванс в главной роли. Такое прям путешествие длиною в поезд. Вагон за вагоном и нужно добраться до цели чтобы его остановить. Короче, очень затягивающий фильмец, рекомендую!
    Моя оценка за сюжет 8 из 10, стереоэффекты 10 из 10, "градус неадеквата" 9 из 10. Итого разделим на три, получится ИТОГОВАЯ ОЦЕНКА "9 из 10"
    Приятного просмотра!!!
  85. Jul 11, 2014
    This is sci-fi at its best. A good central idea uplifted by a great international cast , interesting overtones, inspired social commentary, tense action scenes and great directing (the scene on the bridge will stay with you for a long time). This movie has something to say to everybody, from the Bergman fan to the guy who just wants to see a good action film. Easily the best movie I've seen this year Expand
  86. Jul 21, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Overall it is a pretty interesting movie as long as you don't take it literally. There are a number of interesting scenes. It's quite allegorical and the ending pretty much spells out the dilemma those on the train face vis a vis morality & survival.

Global warming alarmists should be happy that even though everything else on Earth freezes to death, the polar bears still are around.
  87. Jul 21, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. An absolutely thrilling movie. I was on the edge of my seat the entire time. To think that they actually built and filmed in all of the train cars used in the movie is amazing. However the one thing that was not entirely satisfying was the ending. But if you are into thrilling action and an amazing story and acting then this is the movie for you Expand
  88. Jul 29, 2014
    I'll admit, I saw this because I'm a fan of Chris Evans' and want to see the movies he's in. But I have to say that no matter the reason I went to see it I'm glad I did. This isn't the type of movie that I ever really seek out, I'm generally watching movies for 'fun and adventure'. I won't talk much about the plot because I don't want to spoil it but I will say that the movie made me uncomfortable in the best way. I sat in the theater actually uncomfortable with the society in the train. In movies like Hunger Games I look at the Capital and say 'yeah those guys are bad' but never do I look at them and think that could be our society, that could be us. It might not be a movie I pick up to watch when I need something on the screen but it is an interesting movie to watch at least once. Expand
  89. Aug 1, 2014
    Chris Evans is on a roll with the Captain America franchise, and he's still a little too pretty for this movie, but overall the movie works, and Tilda Swinton is worth the price of admission. A great thing about this movie is that it's highly unpredictable, and very original.
  90. Aug 13, 2014
    You can call me crazy but the truth is that I hated every second of this movie. The idea was well though, but I don't think that the film is well enough to give, at least, four points. For me was just a waste of time.
  91. Aug 21, 2014
    Very gory, but very suspenseful and entertaining. I like the acting of Chris Evans, and Ed Harris. John
    Hurt as the old man was great also. Very futuristic.
  92. Aug 26, 2014
    A classic. A priceless allegory of humanity, with a great ending. It will be a landmark of east-west filmmaking. Surrealistic, complex, violent, references to many iconic films, contradictory, not a star vehicle: so it's not easy at all. It is magnificent.
  93. Sep 1, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I saw this movie in theatres while on a business trip and, from what I heard from my fellow audience members afterwards, very few of them understood it. And, upon reading the negative user reviews here, I can see that all of the negative reviewers did not understand this film either.
    So, here is a clarification: This movie is very good IF you are willing to actually spend your viewing time 'thinking about it!' No, it is not a straight action film. No, it is not about Global Warming. ?Spoiler Alert? It is about the train conductor being their metaphorical "God" and, therefore, the question as to why some people have to suffer and others have a care-free life. And, that is only ONE interpretation. It could ALSO represent certain people purposely placing themselves above others; OR, whether (as the debate goes), there MUST be a lower class in order for an Upper class to thrive.
    The point could also be to show the progression of Man throughout human existence. Remember the fire scene and how that turned the tables in the war? Like Sisyphus. And why did God put Man up against such terrible beasts and obstacles and make him indefensible?
    There is a LOT to this film. In my opinion, the people who reviewed it negatively just weren't up to the intellectual challenge of film as art and metaphor.

1. Reviewed by: John Semley
    Jul 17, 2014
    Without “spoiling” it, it’s a film that at least opens up a possibility for change, instead of providing another rote reshuffling of power from the Black Hats back to the White Hats.
  2. Reviewed by: David Denby
    Jul 5, 2014
    If you don't mind the gore, you can enjoy Snowpiercer as a brutal and imaginative piece of science-fiction filmmaking. [7 & 14 July 2014, p.94]
  3. Reviewed by: Bruce Ingram
    Jul 4, 2014
    Bong, above all, is a world-class visual stylist, and he proves that again here with a few dazzling flourishes, despite Snowpiercer’s dismal gray palette and train-bound claustrophobia.