Weinstein Company, The | Release Date: June 27, 2014
7.1
Generally favorable reviews based on 709 Ratings
WATCH NOW
Pazzo7Jun 27, 2014
This is the best movie I've seen this year.The fact is that I didnt see the movie in theaters but on my PC and I loved it means a lot.This sci-fi,action movie is put together with thought.It has a soul,a purpose,a style,good characters andThis is the best movie I've seen this year.The fact is that I didnt see the movie in theaters but on my PC and I loved it means a lot.This sci-fi,action movie is put together with thought.It has a soul,a purpose,a style,good characters and AWESOME action.One of the best of this year.I'd like to quote what Peter Travers said in his review for this movie " Snowpiercer is everything Transformers: Age of Extinction wishes it could be: a slam-bam sci-fi thriller with a brain, a heart and an artful sense of purpose".I really hope this movie is gonna slam AOE at the box office because its entertaining and doesnt give you headache and doesnt make you dumber watching it.Snowpiercer diserves to be a succes.Go see it in theaters people. Expand
DuckNationJun 28, 2014
On a weekend where the fourth haphazard installment of the Transformers franchise is released we are introduced to one of the best foreign films there has been in recent years. Director Joon-ho Bong's "Snowpiercer" is a visually stunning, jawOn a weekend where the fourth haphazard installment of the Transformers franchise is released we are introduced to one of the best foreign films there has been in recent years. Director Joon-ho Bong's "Snowpiercer" is a visually stunning, jaw dropping masterful piece of post-apocalyptic dystopian science fiction cinema without a doubt. I actually didn't even know that this was based off a graphic novel until just a few days ago but now after seeing this i really want to check it out to see if its just as great this. Seeing the 7.5 rating here on Meta and the 7.0 on IMDb it just saddens me that people can't see just how beautiful and thought-provoking this film really is and it makes me question if the head guys at The Weinstein Company was right about thinking that this movie would be too smart for american audiences but at least it seems the critics got it right on this one.

In the year 2014 after a failed experiment to counteract the worlds global warming problem earth is soon sent into a deep freeze killing off almost all of mankind. The few who remain live on a massive non-stop state-of-the-art train that travels around the world once every year. The train runs on a class system in which the rich get to live happily near the front while the poor struggling to survive in the back. Now its the year 2031 and people who inhabit the tail end of the train gear up for another rebellious uprising this time led by Curtis (Chris Evans). From here we see them brutally overtake each section of the train starting with the prison section where they find the guy who built all the doors that divide each cart. Maybe the best part of the movie is the epic battle scene right before they overtake the water room in which turns out to be one of the most intense fighting scenes i have ever seen that only few films can match.

A cool thing we see is that the farther they go up the train the more they get to experience how the rich get to live with being able to take showers, eat fresh food, and even being able to see the outside and when they finally do they see that its still just a frozen land barren of all life. Of course the movie wasn't without flaws and i did have a few problems with it but they were nothing too serious that it took me out of my experience while watching it. Unlike several movies ive watched lately where the twists have been a bit underwhelming this movie had a great twist i didn't see coming so that was cool . I don't want to give too much away from the movie but all i have to say is that if your theater just so happens to be playing this id would HIGHLY recommend you go watch this rather than the tedious explosion filled Bayfest that is Transformers: Age of Extinction.

Overall i give it a 8.0 The whole cast was excellent and this is for sure the best we have yet to see of Chris Evans as his acting was absolutely phenomenal hopefully we get to more films like this whenever he decides to act again after he takes some time off after his contract with marvel expires and he kicks off his directing career. Seriously though im glad The Weinstein Company didn't cut the running time on this as i don't think it would have turned out as great as it did.
thegreydJun 28, 2014
I really liked this movie. Clearly the best movie i have seen recently. Acting, story, action, set -design, everything is amazing. It is the kind of movie that makes you uncomfortable, shocks you with its boldness, depth of character, and inI really liked this movie. Clearly the best movie i have seen recently. Acting, story, action, set -design, everything is amazing. It is the kind of movie that makes you uncomfortable, shocks you with its boldness, depth of character, and in the end compels you to ask questions, think about things you haven't thought before, imagined; about life, humans, society. Those are the movie i like the best. Thanks Bong Joon-ho! Expand
sammurphy66Jul 14, 2014
An intriguing premise, committed performance from Evans, and surprisingly good special effects, Snowpiercer is one of the better recent post-apocalyptic films.
LiberallyGuiltyJul 13, 2014
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Snowpiercer shouldn't work as a film, but somehow it does. The whole premise is so unlikely that most viewers would have to suspend disbelief just to watch it in the first place.

The themes of survival, class warfare, and sustainability are all covered in the microcosm of a dystopian "rattling ark." The storyline gives the viewers just enough information to draw conclusions about the world that they're witnessing and the cryptic symbolism gives audiences something to mull over (for example, what was the meaning of the fish blood ritual prior to the meelee sequence between the rebels and the train security forces? I'm assuming it correlates to Mason's later explanation of the aquarium later on and the idea of "culling" the population to keep things in balance).

While the cast performances overall were outstanding, I found Tilda Swinton to be particularly brilliant here as the comically draconian Mason; as was Kang-ho Song as Nam, who is arguably the true protagonist of the film.

Interestingly, I rented this on iTunes and watched it at home without realizing that it is a current release in theaters. I guess I like the trend of current releases being available on home video, but I also enjoy seeing movies on the big screen in a theater setting, so I hope the instant gratification of digital downloads doesn't make the theatre experience go completely "extinct."
ciorgaAug 28, 2014
One of the best and smartest movies ever made.Great acting and visuals. Don't even try putting this movie into any category. It's just that unique and original.
Nesbitt10Jun 27, 2014
A stunning, visionary example of dystopian science-fiction cinema at its best, South Korean director Bong Joon-ho's "Snowpiercer" is based on the French graphic novel - a blockbuster rich in style that successfully breaks through cultural andA stunning, visionary example of dystopian science-fiction cinema at its best, South Korean director Bong Joon-ho's "Snowpiercer" is based on the French graphic novel - a blockbuster rich in style that successfully breaks through cultural and political boundaries.“Snowpiercer” is brought to the big screen and offers a solid narrative, carefully drawn characters and — above all — respect for the audience’s intelligence in high-concept genre cinema. While “Snowpiercer” and its world may be implausible, it's most certainly engaging, and further helping matters is Bong’s impressive, sprawling international cast anchored by Chris Evan's strong central performance.

"Snowpiercer" is set in a distant future where a man-made ecological disaster has triggered a new ice age that has engulfed the planet and killed off all but a few hundred lucky survivors. Upending the social structure of society and transposing it horizontally, the upper-class has become first-class on the Rattling Ark - a gigantic speed train that contains a literal microcosm of a contemporary neoliberal society. The fortunate in the front of the train rule over the rest, where the rich dictate the rules in order to oppress the poor and underprivileged.

Bong’s vivid depictions -- aided by Ondrej Nekvasil’s production design and Hong Kyung-pyo’s cinematography are beautifully orchestrated and captivating for the most part. That being said, one of the more significant issues with the film is the overuse of CGI in places, which does look sub-par at times, like stylized segments from a 1990's video game.

Joon-ho creates an air of mystery and intrigue - as the passengers progress from the dark, rear tail of the train to the opulent splendour of the front carriages, "Piecer" evolves steadily, slowing providing information and further enriching its story with enough magic and wonder to suspend our disbelief entirely. The film's pacing is measured, but never slacks with adequate time taken out for nuanced, character-building scenes. You may recognize lots of inherent holes and flaws in its journey to salvation, but the movie confidently pushes its premise throughout its 126 minute run time.

By the end, the film reveals itself as a surprisingly thoughtful contemplation projecting the problems of today into a science-fiction tomorrow, while it ties together a compelling story that continuously shifts. We all think we know what will happen here; the downtrodden are pushed to the limit, and as a result, they unite and rebel against their oppressors - exactly as we've seen countless times in a number of other sci-fi movies and it's all a bit predictable. "Snowpiecer" is the exception.
ocean10Jun 30, 2014
I dare to say, this is one of the best sci-fi movies of the last few years (probably since District 9 and Inception).
Great story and masterfully implemented allegories about society in general... plus wonderful tone and visual creativity and bravuras we don't see too often. Chris Evans and the entire cast also did a remarkable job.
Snowpiercer is more than meets the eye - sure, there're some almost gimmick moments in action but the story, interesting themes and performances is what makes it so great.
EdorkJun 30, 2014
Man, some people have no freaking imagination! This movie was fantastic and one of the best sci-fi movies I've seen in a while, not to mention my favorite Chris Evans performance.
But you know, haters don't know a great film when they see it. smdh.
jstein1992Jul 2, 2014
This movie was excellently crafted. First off, the concept for the movie itself is imaginative and clever. The execution was even better quite honestly. It was a dark and intense drama/sci-fi with great writing and well-done action scenes.This movie was excellently crafted. First off, the concept for the movie itself is imaginative and clever. The execution was even better quite honestly. It was a dark and intense drama/sci-fi with great writing and well-done action scenes. The story was amazing. It was interesting to observe this great schism between the rich and poor people stuck on this giant train. I think what I liked most about this film is that it strongly focused on human nature as a whole. It shows that if a scenario like this occurred, then the stronger people in society could potentially turn on the weaker people. It was a very emotional movie as well and this was in part because of the excellent acting. Chris Evans was fantastic in this movie. There was one scene he was in that legitimately made me swell up a little bit. This is an excellent movie as a whole. Please check it out if you can. Expand
Jman4Jul 3, 2014
Best film so far this year - please treat yourself to it! It's stunning visuals and explosive sounds are best experienced in the theater. This film is a gorgeously crafted SciFi masterpiece, and will not soon be forgotten. A poor rebelBest film so far this year - please treat yourself to it! It's stunning visuals and explosive sounds are best experienced in the theater. This film is a gorgeously crafted SciFi masterpiece, and will not soon be forgotten. A poor rebel leading an uprising in a dystopian world is an overdone concept, but this movie delivers it in a fresh, exciting, and brutal new way. This movie is full of emotion, action, incredible acting (hats off to Chris Evans - what a tour de force!) and will keep you enthralled from start to finish. The environmental subtext is only a catalyst for the plot, not a preachy PSA as some have said. The movie is bleak, but ultimately inspires hope and imagination. That's what SciFi is supposed to do, enchant you with a wondrous story, with amazing impossibilities, to entertain the incredible human imagination and let you explore a world such as this. That's what this film does. It is unstoppable, original, and extraordinary. The train is incorporated so well, playing a key role in each scene and action sequence, with every train car being diverse, new and giving you a glimpse of life on the train. Enough is revealed for the story, and enough is left up to the viewer for their own inventive entertainment. This film is one for the ages, a rare gem in today's film world. It is chilling, provocative, shocking, exciting, and above all, wildly entertaining. Please - for once - listen to the critics on this one! They are so right! Usually I find I disagree with critics quite a bit, but this film well deserves it's critical acclaim. I find the audience reviews shocking - especially those which criticize the science and logic. Films like Inception get away with their impossibilities, and this films concept is more feasible. It does an excellent job of convincing the viewer that such a train could exist and sustain life for years, even if that train doesn't exist today. The film is as explosively imaginative as you are willing to immerse yourself. If you can't handle it's originality, it's honesty, or it's brutality, you can at least admire it's mastery. Snowpiercer is the peak of its genre - a true masterpiece through and through. It's truly astounding, and will keep you on the edge of your seat, with your hand over your mouth, anticipating what will come next, what someone will decide, and where the train - and the movie- will go. I have never been so engrossed in a film and plan to see Snowpiercer many more times in theaters. Do yourself a favor - ignore the cynical users who criticize it's Science Fiction elements - THATS WHAT SCIENCE FICTION IS, fiction! Enjoy it for all that it is, it's worth it. This film is on par with Inception for SciFi, better than The Hunger Games or Divergent for caste-system apocalyptic quality, and so original and insane that you'll be reeling for hours. Expand
moonman1994Jan 5, 2015
A very entertaining movie with good special effects. The plot of the film is kind of ridiculous but that's what makes the film more fun. However despite the special effects and the good performances from the cast there is nothing about theA very entertaining movie with good special effects. The plot of the film is kind of ridiculous but that's what makes the film more fun. However despite the special effects and the good performances from the cast there is nothing about the film that makes it stand out in a way that makes it more than just a solid film. It's enjoyable but hardly more than that. Expand
imthenoobJul 7, 2015
Satisfying plot, Very well acted, and definitely makes you think. Snowpiercer is one of the best hidden gems of 2014 without a doubt and well worthy of a watch.
laymondJul 3, 2014
wow! it's awesome and fantastic, it's certainly the best movie this year~, Mr bong, as far as I know, one of the most remarkable director in South Korea.
netflicJul 6, 2014
Post-apocaliptic dystopia. Our planet gets frozen after failed attempts to stop global warming. Everything dies. The only living people, flora and fauna are contained inside a very long super-fast train which is an engineering marvel. It goesPost-apocaliptic dystopia. Our planet gets frozen after failed attempts to stop global warming. Everything dies. The only living people, flora and fauna are contained inside a very long super-fast train which is an engineering marvel. It goes around the world in a loop which takes one year. People are divided into classes, poor in the tail, privileged in the front. Inevitable conflict takes most of the film. There is a big amount of blood and gore. Fighting takes a significant part of the movie. It seems to be real even though there are too many holes and obvious oops-es. But a script in an action movie like this one cannot be taken seriously. Stunning cinematography and good acting. An intense piece of entertainment. Expand
MikeBaldelliJul 11, 2014
For the fourth time in seven years, alien robots have descended on movie theaters across America, filling up three, sometimes four theaters at your local multiplex. The 200 million dollar behemoth is accompanied by an extravagant add campaignFor the fourth time in seven years, alien robots have descended on movie theaters across America, filling up three, sometimes four theaters at your local multiplex. The 200 million dollar behemoth is accompanied by an extravagant add campaign and numerous merchandise tie-ins.

As audiences flocked to the new Transformers movie, a much smaller, more unknown film rolled into theaters. Well, only a few theaters. In fact, you’d be lucky to find this Little Engine That Could of a film near you. That film is Snowpiercer. Its journey to American shores is as epic and filled with drama as the actual train in the film, but more on that later.

Snowpiercer tells the story of a near future Earth that has been ravaged by climate change. In an effort to counteract global warming, humans experiment with releasing various chemicals into the environment. The experiment backfires and a new ice age freezes the Earth, killing most of humanity. The few remaining survivors board a high-speed train where they endlessly circle the Earth. As we board the train at the start of the film, it has been circling the Earth continuously for the last 17 years.

The entire train is a small ecosystem of humanity. People of all nationalities and social standing co-exist together. It’s somewhat like a modern day Noah’s Ark. Like with our own society, there are the halves and the have nots. The people in the back of the train live in filth, cramped on top of one another. Their main food source are mysterious black gelatin bricks. All this while the people in the front of the train live the life of luxury. Eating gourmet meals and indulging in all the luxuries that a life on Earth would have to offer.

One can’t help but make the parallel to Rosa Parks and her struggle during the civil rights movement. In Snowpiercer, the passengers at the back of the train are treated like second class citizens and are essentially prisoners in their own home.

Soon we are introduced to Curtis, played by Chris Evans. That’s right, everybody’s favorite shield wielding Avenger, Captain America. Curtis is tired of eating black goo every day and he’s tired of his people being treated like rats who have stowed away. His objective? To get to the front of the train. A task that could prove quite difficult when confronted by ax-wielding ninjas and other various obstacles.

Snowpiercer is easily one of the most unique action films you will see (if you're lucky) all summer. The film is based on a French graphic novel, directed by a Korean director and comprised of a predominantly Western cast. The director is not just any director either, his name is Bong Joon-ho and he’s one of the best directors in South Korea. His films Memories of Murder, The Host, and Mother are some of the best films of the last decade.

If it wasn’t for Bong Joon-ho, Snowpiercer might not have even made it to American shores, at least not in the form that the director intended. Harvey Weinstein of The Weinstein Co., who was set to distribute the film, wanted the director to cut over 20 minutes from the film because he felt American audiences “wouldn’t understand it.” Bong Joon-ho was having none of it and the US release was delayed for almost a year.

Ultimately, the director and Weinstein came to a compromise. Weinstein wouldn’t force Bong Joon-ho to cut anything from the film, but instead of releasing it in 1,000 theaters across the country, it would only get distributed to about 100 art house cinemas and out-of-the-way multiplexes, all but assuring that Snowpiercer would go unseen by most of America.

The ironic thing about Snowpiercer is that it’s not some subtitled black and white French film or something. It’s a fast-paced action film led by Captain America himself. You would think Evans’ face alone would guarantee that audiences would come out to see the film. I guess Harvey Weinstein disagrees. The rest of the film is rounded out by two Oscar winners, Tilda Swinton (Michael Clayton) and Octavia Spencer (The Help). As well as Oscar nominee John Hurt.

The fact that most people will never see Snowpiercer is a shame because it’s an amazing film, filled with interesting themes about freedom and class distinction. The film really makes you think about what it means to be truly free. The people aboard the train have the illusion of freedom and free will. In reality, The Snowpiercer is a prison and not just for the people struggling in the back, but for everybody that calls it home.

Snowpiercer also has great atmosphere and Bong Joon-ho fills every frame of the cramped confines with fine detail. The film also features a menacing soundtrack that amps up the excitement as the train comes barreling around curves.

As Curtis and his ragtag group of freedom fighters make their way towards the front of the train, each train car has its own unique feel. Some almost feel like the passengers are stepping into another world as they enter each car. They get weirder and wackier and more interesting as the j
hopstarJul 14, 2014
Original and great charecters, just enough back story without boring you. Plenty of action scenes. Totally unbelievable, but that also adds to the greatness of this movie!
NotoriousFraudJul 14, 2014
Bong Joon-Ho's "Snowpiercer" is one of the most ambitious and grisly movies of the year. Chris Evans is really good as is the rest of the cast, but the movie also has it's fair share of action.
MoviesForeverJun 28, 2014
For its orderly runtime of 126 mins, it never feels dragging but keens to keep you at the edge of your seat desirous to the next unexpected twist to happen in the probably the Sci-Fi movie of the year!
jeonnyJul 9, 2014
Snowpiercer is, if nothing else, entertaining, thought-provoking and original. It shifts gears almost from moment to moment; somber to silly to serious to savage, but it's a fun ride throughout. The sticklers will find plenty of absurditiesSnowpiercer is, if nothing else, entertaining, thought-provoking and original. It shifts gears almost from moment to moment; somber to silly to serious to savage, but it's a fun ride throughout. The sticklers will find plenty of absurdities to nitpick, but to take it literally from start to finish would miss the forest for the trees. It speaks more of the unsustainability of our world economic structure than you get in the typical roundtable news show. This is the type of movie that becomes a cult favorite, then gets a remake years down the line with a bigger budget and watered down script, sacrificing soul for spectacle. Expand
quincytheodoreFeb 7, 2015
Post-apocalyptic theme has been used repeatedly in recent time, but half of them barely able to depict the theme’s fundamental dismay. Snowpiercer is not only successful in creating a drab futuristic wintry world, it's also one of the bestPost-apocalyptic theme has been used repeatedly in recent time, but half of them barely able to depict the theme’s fundamental dismay. Snowpiercer is not only successful in creating a drab futuristic wintry world, it's also one of the best masterpieces of sci-fi genre. With outstanding direction, amazing script and truly talented cast, Snowpiercer immerses audience in an escapade like Gattaca and Twelve Monkey did years ago.

It tells the story of a constantly moving train in winter apocalypse. This last arc of humanity travels around the world one year at a time, but the passengers are separated in different cars. The tail section occupants in particular suffer from discrimination and entirely terrible inescapable life. Curtis (Chris Evans) leads a rebellion to overthrow the ruling Wilford, keeper of Engine. In the course of one train, the whole civilization of later world is displayed in elegance, both the poverty and opulence.

Acting is immensely superb, with Evans delivering one of his best performances to date. He is a reluctant leader with burden from his past and obligation for the future, and Evans walks as such savior passionately. Props to Tilda Swinton for her intentionally annoying character, I swear she reminds me of the irritating figure of authority, namely my old teacher. It takes skill to portray beauty, but even more so to portray unsightly personality.

Director Joon-ho Bong, of classic thriller, Memories of Murder, brings such poise to the visual. Each car is different in style with bridging social texture and details of the post-apocalyptic life presented without pause. This is a one of few rare movies that paces itself so marvelously well, it delivers suspense not only with every scenes, but almost every minutes of its run time.

The characters are memorable despite they are introduced in short amount of time. Revelations and twists litter the train. Amazingly with so many elements involved, everything seems built with clear purpose. Action might seem in small scale at first, but with swift pace cinematography, fights have incredible thrill. Whether the antagonists arrive at the last car, the journey there will connect the audience better than the partitions its cars do for the passengers.

A sharp medium like Snowpiercer doesn't come often, but when it does, it magnificently transports a view around the best of humanity, or the hope of it, when at its worst.
KenmeiJul 3, 2014
This was such an interesting movie and I'm definitely glad I went out of my way to see it. There were a few sequences, including the ending, that really made me question what it was that it exactly was trying to do. But the journey was reallyThis was such an interesting movie and I'm definitely glad I went out of my way to see it. There were a few sequences, including the ending, that really made me question what it was that it exactly was trying to do. But the journey was really interesting and the commentary on class warfare was very interesting too.
All the actors in the movie were superb ranging from Evans' hero with the troubled past to Swinton's over-the-top enforcer that loves the sight of a massacre. Everything was well done and everyone in the movie did a fantastic job of selling a world and a system like this was great. As I said about the ending though, it does take a weird turn at the end and it's really the only time you have to question someone's actions throughout the entire movie. But everything else is extremely well done.
I would definitely recommend seeing this movie once, if it's playing around you. It's worth the viewing if just to see what happens. While it's not the best movie I've ever seen, which is what some people were saying about it, it's a very good action/thriller that you owe to yourself to watch.
chugheadNov 24, 2014
Kill Bill meets Mad Max! Chris Evans traded in Capt America suit for a more serious challenging role. The Korean director took the gloves off, hit below the belt and took many risks, as well as not play it safe, while ignoring HollywoodKill Bill meets Mad Max! Chris Evans traded in Capt America suit for a more serious challenging role. The Korean director took the gloves off, hit below the belt and took many risks, as well as not play it safe, while ignoring Hollywood versions of making film, which will bring in a different kind of audience who desire something off the wall and unHollywood. Expand
eagleeyevikingAug 9, 2014
Dark, brutal and bereft from an excess of mind-numbing explosions , the well paced and acted Snowpiercer represents science fiction in its simplest yet finest form.
EzzDeanDec 2, 2014
Surprisingly a great movie, in a time where the story is highly predictable, you won't see what's coming in this one.
The acting is great, the diversity of the characters is great as it should be, after all that train is a small world, the plot is full with amazing twists that will make you feel violated because you "didn't see that coming".
EsettJul 4, 2014
Surprising and metaphorical this moves grabs you and doesn't let go from start to finish. The sad thing is some people didn't get the story and go as far as to call it nonsensical. Nothing could be further from the truth. Even the crazySurprising and metaphorical this moves grabs you and doesn't let go from start to finish. The sad thing is some people didn't get the story and go as far as to call it nonsensical. Nothing could be further from the truth. Even the crazy premise, somehow makes sense in the end. It is also quite a provocative film. It enlightens and it entertains proving that the two are not mutually exclusive. I highly recommend it. Expand
GinaKJul 6, 2014
As usual, an original, engrossing film from Joon-Ho Bong. It deserves an award just for tricking the audience so completely into believing that they are actually on a train during the entire film. Bong successfully mixes action and philosophyAs usual, an original, engrossing film from Joon-Ho Bong. It deserves an award just for tricking the audience so completely into believing that they are actually on a train during the entire film. Bong successfully mixes action and philosophy as he creates a possible future world where a global-warming cure has gone terribly wrong and the terrible price paid to save the human race. All the actors were excellent, and you could just enjoy the action – or be constantly surprised by the twists and turns of the ideas in the plot. Wonderful way to spend a hot summer afternoon. PS: Yes, Tilda Swinton can be funny! Expand
NeekReviewsJul 11, 2014
Why wasn't this film brought to the attention of more people?!

Why wasn't this film brought to the attention of more people?!

With that out of the way, this movie is one of those rare gems that make you understand why we go to the theater. On almost all points, this film was flawless. This film was methodically pieced together actor by actor, car by car.

The cast for this film was top to bottom flawless. Whether the general consensus is in agreement with me or not, Chris Evans is an amazing actor. His supporting cast of Jamie Bell, John Hurt and Tilda Swinton could not have been better picked. They each filled their roles extremely well.

The film's setting and backdrop were beautifully crafted. It was awesome to see how the cars gradually got better and better as they moved towards the engine. I was happy to see it wasn't just yuk and then all of the sudden lovely.

The reason why I could not give this a 10 is there are certain parts in the film that make you scratch your head, be it an unkillable man or letting someone you don't know deliver eggs to the back of the train. But when this movie is done you are happy you saw it. From the amazing characters to the jaw dropping monologue from Chris Evans, this movie is every bit a 9 out of 10!

-James Von Doom
GantugsJul 19, 2014
I don't understand some people who rate negative. This movie is one of the best movies of 2014. Korean director adopts that better than other ones. Lastly US movies' stories were being not good. So other countries story can be better...
bmaster4616Dec 18, 2014
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A very different movie to this blockbuster hungry year and generation. Most might not like it because it is interesting. The concept is different and the special effects are subpar. Though these two things shouldn't hurt the quality of the movie.mits pretty fantastic, but the ending could have been better. There are a lot of funning satire and is critical on certain political issues. This however doesn't make the movie great like it is. The overall feel, chemistry, and action sequences are what make it special. The story also doesn't let you down, as there's always mystery and suspense behind each door. The story is similar to like every poor versus rich movie goes. Though this has a twist. It's on a train with humanities last hope within the engine and walls itself. Though it's the walls you have to be aware of. The train is a metaphor for humans will to believe that the life they live is securing but yet it's a prison. Also could be that people believe that having a blanket from the government could be awarding, but that it's not. The world without the government (outside world) could be better or more rewarding. Many meanings to this. Overall it's a standout and something special, even if the ending fell a little flat. 9.2 Expand
ahnehnoisJul 10, 2014
A whimsical dystopia with a (gasp) perchant for class warfare. Like the train on which it is set, the plot follows a number of twists and turns but was always going where it ended up. Unlike many films of this sort; the climax is engaging,A whimsical dystopia with a (gasp) perchant for class warfare. Like the train on which it is set, the plot follows a number of twists and turns but was always going where it ended up. Unlike many films of this sort; the climax is engaging, appropriate, and not a let-down or a cop-out.

Don't ask why moving around the train requires one to pass through saunas, kitchens, and schools in a way that defies practicality, or how the perpetual motion machine at the front works, or what the stuff is that somehow sent the entire world into winter faster than a nuclear war ever could. And don't question the caricatures that populate this train (Tilda Swinton in particular seemed to be having a blast). The movie has fun action, and is just cerebral enough to hold a viewer's interest, and is slickly produced.

An odd note was the idea of casting Captain America as a grizzled antihero, but Chris Evans is a good enough actor to sell it. CGI pops up occasionally, and isn't quite up with the best films but it holds up enough.

It's a tough movie to find in theaters, but worth the search.
ToFewViewsNov 2, 2014
Snowpiercer follows a one of a kind train that circles the globe year round. The remainder of the world's population live on said train, The rest of the planet has fallen into an ice age for the past 17 years. The story follows the peopleSnowpiercer follows a one of a kind train that circles the globe year round. The remainder of the world's population live on said train, The rest of the planet has fallen into an ice age for the past 17 years. The story follows the people living at the end of the train known as "Freeloaders". There is a great mix of exciting action that blindsides you and deep story/Symbolism that makes you try to analyze every scene. Most of those great aspects come from the Director and the source material, I feel as if Director Bong Joon-ho represented the graphic novel very well.
This was a very refreshing movie, with a diverse cast as well. This is also probably one of the last rolls you'll see Chris Evens play other then Cpt America/His own work.
Some may not enjoy Snowpiercer, But if your looking for something a bit more original you can find it on DVD/Blu-ray....or you know piracy.
cryhardhumorJul 26, 2015
Snowpiercer is great on many different levels. It can be accepted at face value as nothing more than an extremely fun and amazingly well shot/acted summer movie; or it can be taken to a whole new level. Snowpiercer is a movie of layers...It'sSnowpiercer is great on many different levels. It can be accepted at face value as nothing more than an extremely fun and amazingly well shot/acted summer movie; or it can be taken to a whole new level. Snowpiercer is a movie of layers...It's not just a political commentary, but the more you think about it the more you realize it's a movie about misconceptions, misery, death, despair and in the end...hope. Expand
GreenGoblin215Jul 4, 2014
I will say that I just saw this movie yesterday and I was so Impressed
by the movie in all aspects. The story was Awesome and the fact that
the whole movie takes place on a train made it even cooler and that they could have so many
I will say that I just saw this movie yesterday and I was so Impressed
by the movie in all aspects. The story was Awesome and the fact that
the whole movie takes place on a train made it even cooler and that they
could have so many different scenery locations for a train was breathtaking. The actors all did a fantastic job and Chris Evans was terrific but the supporting cast was stellar.I will say the best part in my opinion was the action it was top-notch and full throttle throughout and yes there is a lot of talking but when the action arrives it is some of the best I have seen in years and to be honest I would recommend this movie to anyone. I will be buying this Day One on Blu-Ray and I also intend to buy the graphic novel online and read that as well. It doesn't beat my favorite movie of all time which is the original "Oldboy" but this is in my Top 10 favorite movies of all time!!!!!
ScrawnyPunkJul 8, 2014
This is pure science fiction - an idea supported by a story taking place in an imaginative setting. And when pure scifi works, it really works well - that is exactly what happens here. As with most science fiction, you will need to let theThis is pure science fiction - an idea supported by a story taking place in an imaginative setting. And when pure scifi works, it really works well - that is exactly what happens here. As with most science fiction, you will need to let the "science" take a back seat to the "fiction," but if you do you will have a great time.

A welcome break from blockbusters, Snowpiercer is a fairly unique take on both the apocalyptic and the totalitarian. Although it has many elements stitched from prior movies (hints of everything from Old Boy to Soylent Green, to Brazil and everywhere in-between are cribbed here), the overall effect comes off as fresh and more than a little exciting. It is definitely a departure from the standard CGI-Blow-Stuff-Up-Aliens-Robots-and-Stuff-and-Such fair that is served weekly in US cinemas. We are treated to literally-straightforward story line (get to the front of the train), creative battle sequences, tension, humor, social commentary sufficiently removed from the present so as to be bearable, a dash of zaniness, and a satisfying (but not obvious) ending. Overall, a great experience.

More of this, less Transformers 4, please. Unless you want to keep eating your protein blocks...
TheWaffleAug 3, 2014
Director Joon-ho Bong has taken an outlandish premise and crafted a film that is beautiful and unforgettable. The themes are very thinly veiled and it's not difficult to see the convenient lies that we will tell ourselves to justify theDirector Joon-ho Bong has taken an outlandish premise and crafted a film that is beautiful and unforgettable. The themes are very thinly veiled and it's not difficult to see the convenient lies that we will tell ourselves to justify the status quo. We just rarely see them so close at hand as we do in Snowpiercer. The privileged chosen by birth, convinced that they belong and that those born into crippling poverty belong in the slums. Snowpiercer is the story of society, including the inhuman suffering that society is often built upon. Expand
metareviewer3Aug 1, 2014
Chris Evans is on a roll with the Captain America franchise, and he's still a little too pretty for this movie, but overall the movie works, and Tilda Swinton is worth the price of admission. A great thing about this movie is that it'sChris Evans is on a roll with the Captain America franchise, and he's still a little too pretty for this movie, but overall the movie works, and Tilda Swinton is worth the price of admission. A great thing about this movie is that it's highly unpredictable, and very original. Expand
MantisDec 28, 2014
Let me start off by saying after reading all these 0-2 ratings: the movie is good and definitely worth your time.
Why? It shows humanities survival instinct and how we would be once it all comes down to the most basic things. I think in that regard you have to see it as a showcase of our core being. Will morality stand when survival is all you can think about? Can you do the unthinkable?
I liked this movie how it managed to shock and also the way it was shot, performed. Do not take this movie too literal or serious but just enjoy it as a way to get you thinking.
See it and make up your own mind!
thelastvJul 19, 2014
Many bad reviews are stating the obvious plot holes and logic of the premise of the film. The film is far more allegorical, and a metaphor for our society today. I enjoyed the scenes of entering each different train cart. It sure feels like aMany bad reviews are stating the obvious plot holes and logic of the premise of the film. The film is far more allegorical, and a metaphor for our society today. I enjoyed the scenes of entering each different train cart. It sure feels like a video game, and a twisting and turning wild ride. It is sure to be provocative, and violent for the light-hearted. Expand
manofthemoonJan 13, 2015
Overlooked, under-marketed and under-released, "Snowpiercer" is simply one of the films of the year. If you like challenging, apocalyptic stories, you'll like this. If you prefer straight action, perhaps watch with an open mind. It's worthOverlooked, under-marketed and under-released, "Snowpiercer" is simply one of the films of the year. If you like challenging, apocalyptic stories, you'll like this. If you prefer straight action, perhaps watch with an open mind. It's worth it. There are moments of visual beauty. Excellent. Expand
cFreshFilmsJul 9, 2014
With perfect action sequences, great acting, and a compelling story, Snowpiercer races to the top of the list of the very best action films ever made. Chris Pines gives his best performance to date along with a comically fierce Tilda Swinton.With perfect action sequences, great acting, and a compelling story, Snowpiercer races to the top of the list of the very best action films ever made. Chris Pines gives his best performance to date along with a comically fierce Tilda Swinton. Joon-ho Bong manages to hold the action every minute of the 2 hour runtime. It's a hell of a fun ride. Expand
KilluaNov 12, 2014
A Definitive Review of why Snowpiercer is extremely overrated.

A Definitive Review of why Snowpiercer is extremely overrated.

It's a good movie that had far too many plot twists than it cared to explain. Even though there are many good points to this movie, i'm going to spend most of the time explaining the HUGE plotholes that apparently didn't bother the people giving this a 9 & 10/10.

Spoilers**

The entire reason that the prisoners were able to escape from the back car is that none of the guards had guns. The movie apparently forgets this rule 30 minutes by not only revealing that some bad guys have real guns, but that they have really powerful guns with an excessive amount of ammo. Two characters are shooting at each other from miles away with sub-machine guns. Clearly there is no shortage of bullets if the characters are willing to waste their ammo shooting @ people that will not be hit from that far away. Why would he keep the guns in the front if he needs them for prisoners in the back? He mentions multiple revolts from the back car and he still hasn't given his guards guns? They don't even have axes back there?? Sorry, not believable.

The prisoners are eating concentrated blocks of 1000's cockroaches yet no one explains how the train has this many cockroaches. Is there a car that is purely for raising cockroaches? It doesn't make sense.

It is not explained why there are people in the back of the car in the first place. Why wouldnt edgar just kill them? He mentions that Chris Evans is going to be his successor but never explains why he would have his successor live in concentration camp-like circumstances in the back of the car, and then suddenly say "okay you run this train now with it's engine you dont know how to use. I trust that you wont murder me and everyone who enslaved your friends.

Gilliam is revealed to be a covert big baddie who is working for Edgar but this is never hinted at all before Edgar bluntly states it. You're telling me that one of Edgar's most loyal main partners was also just cool with having his limbs amputated as a result of Edgar? That this still makes Gilliam, a person who seemingly has a strong conscious, has more loyalty to Edgar than Chris while simultaniously willing Chris Evans to break free from the back car and kill a **** ton of people?

At one point, all of the main characters have the option of having guns. Still many choose to use no gun at all. They would rather fight someone with barefists and be shot, which they are. Lame.

On a separate note, this movie has the potential to make a killer anime. It already is chalked with tons of symbolism
Brent_MarchantJul 6, 2014
An exhilarating science fiction thrill ride unlike probably any other movie I've ever seen (but with familiar elements included that reminded me of everything from "Battlestar Gallactica" to the "Mad Max" movies to "The Hunger Games" and evenAn exhilarating science fiction thrill ride unlike probably any other movie I've ever seen (but with familiar elements included that reminded me of everything from "Battlestar Gallactica" to the "Mad Max" movies to "The Hunger Games" and even "The Truman Show"). Suspension of belief is essential in watching this one, but, given its metaphorical narrative, that shouldn't be too difficult except the most unimaginative and curmudgeonly. With a terrific mix of action and humor, violence that never gets overly gratuitous and terrific performances from the likes of Tilda Swinton, Ed Harris and Alison Pill, this is a movie one soon won't forget. Expand
CinemayorumlariJul 3, 2014
Güzel bir sistem eleştiri yapan bir film. Tren yolculuğu ve kıyamet gibi bir olguyu bu kadar güzel anlatacak bir film zannetmiyorum.
Özellikle Chris Evans muhteşem bir performans göstermiş...
Puanım: 10/8.2
horusmaximusJul 21, 2014
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Overall it is a pretty interesting movie as long as you don't take it literally. There are a number of interesting scenes. It's quite allegorical and the ending pretty much spells out the dilemma those on the train face vis a vis morality & survival.

Global warming alarmists should be happy that even though everything else on Earth freezes to death, the polar bears still are around.
kimmAug 26, 2014
A classic. A priceless allegory of humanity, with a great ending. It will be a landmark of east-west filmmaking. Surrealistic, complex, violent, references to many iconic films, contradictory, not a star vehicle: so it's not easy at all. ItA classic. A priceless allegory of humanity, with a great ending. It will be a landmark of east-west filmmaking. Surrealistic, complex, violent, references to many iconic films, contradictory, not a star vehicle: so it's not easy at all. It is magnificent. Expand
NerdConsultantMar 24, 2015
this is one of the best underrated films of 2014 i am seriously staggered that this film received no oscar nominations or a single screening in the UK outside of the edinburgh film festival. it's really well acting with an excellent ensemblethis is one of the best underrated films of 2014 i am seriously staggered that this film received no oscar nominations or a single screening in the UK outside of the edinburgh film festival. it's really well acting with an excellent ensemble cast including what is possibly Chris Evens best performance. the effects while not perfect are still pretty good and the cinematography itself is excellent and the screenplay adapts the comics well and even improves on a couple of levels. my only issue is despite the fact the action scenes are pretty good they do rely a bit too much shaky cam and the ending is a bit illogical and removes the potential for a sequel in a way the comic did. however i really liked the film and would recommend it highly Expand
TVJerryJul 8, 2014
This film offers an unusual take on the future: the world is a frozen wasteland and the only survivors exist on a long train that continuously travels around the globe. The poor huddled masses at the back (led by Chris Evans) decide to pleadThis film offers an unusual take on the future: the world is a frozen wasteland and the only survivors exist on a long train that continuously travels around the globe. The poor huddled masses at the back (led by Chris Evans) decide to plead their case to the leader, so they undertake a mission to get to the front. At times it seems like an action film, but the fight scenes are often full of splashed blood and blurred action. At other times, it's an apocalyptic drama with bold statements about class and society. If you're willing to overlook the giant lapses in logic, you may find this movie to be an absorbing and original experience. BTW, Tilda Swinton is having great fun with her bespeckled, toothy character. Expand
antenaJul 8, 2014
Very solid thriller with lots of crazy, inventive turns every few minutes. Swinton and Evans are very good; this is the kind of sci-fi that rarely gets made these days. Character development and action set pieces can exist side by side, butVery solid thriller with lots of crazy, inventive turns every few minutes. Swinton and Evans are very good; this is the kind of sci-fi that rarely gets made these days. Character development and action set pieces can exist side by side, but apparently as there were no toys for sale here mainstream Hollywood isn't interested.

Sure, the CGI isn't the best, but ILM and Weta can't work on every movie. If the CGI is taking you out of the movie, then you need to reevaluate what's most important in a film.
MovieFan123Aug 12, 2014
Snowpiercer is both interesting and compelling with many levels of complexity. It is filled with a wonderful performance from Chris Evans and incredible special effects. In conclusion, Snowpiercer is an incredible experience and is one thatSnowpiercer is both interesting and compelling with many levels of complexity. It is filled with a wonderful performance from Chris Evans and incredible special effects. In conclusion, Snowpiercer is an incredible experience and is one that everyone should watch. Expand
sanyrubJul 27, 2014
Interesting, different enough and very entertaining. The film uses beautiful metaphors which makes it emotive especially towards the end. It also helps that there are several twists along the way and that the performances are very good. FistInteresting, different enough and very entertaining. The film uses beautiful metaphors which makes it emotive especially towards the end. It also helps that there are several twists along the way and that the performances are very good. Fist time I´ve seen Chris Evans giving a real performance (Marvel movies don´t allow that since they usually go for the basics, so I´m glad I discovered him in this other film). Ed Harris is always on point and the rest of the cast did their thing too. A recommendable watch. Expand
AliasAndrewJul 11, 2014
This is sci-fi at its best. A good central idea uplifted by a great international cast , interesting overtones, inspired social commentary, tense action scenes and great directing (the scene on the bridge will stay with you for a long time).This is sci-fi at its best. A good central idea uplifted by a great international cast , interesting overtones, inspired social commentary, tense action scenes and great directing (the scene on the bridge will stay with you for a long time). This movie has something to say to everybody, from the Bergman fan to the guy who just wants to see a good action film. Easily the best movie I've seen this year Expand
kmyashJul 29, 2014
I'll admit, I saw this because I'm a fan of Chris Evans' and want to see the movies he's in. But I have to say that no matter the reason I went to see it I'm glad I did. This isn't the type of movie that I ever really seek out, I'm generallyI'll admit, I saw this because I'm a fan of Chris Evans' and want to see the movies he's in. But I have to say that no matter the reason I went to see it I'm glad I did. This isn't the type of movie that I ever really seek out, I'm generally watching movies for 'fun and adventure'. I won't talk much about the plot because I don't want to spoil it but I will say that the movie made me uncomfortable in the best way. I sat in the theater actually uncomfortable with the society in the train. In movies like Hunger Games I look at the Capital and say 'yeah those guys are bad' but never do I look at them and think that could be our society, that could be us. It might not be a movie I pick up to watch when I need something on the screen but it is an interesting movie to watch at least once. Expand
beingryanjudeNov 30, 2014
With a post-apocalyptic film about a high-speed train which circles the globe, you'll never expect Snowpiercer to be as politically provocative and socially telling as it really is. It's a fascinating look at humanity amidst an unusual, yetWith a post-apocalyptic film about a high-speed train which circles the globe, you'll never expect Snowpiercer to be as politically provocative and socially telling as it really is. It's a fascinating look at humanity amidst an unusual, yet exciting environment. Oh and another fine performance from Tilda Swinton. Expand
SchroederRockAug 17, 2015
Snowpiercer reminds me a lot of Equilibrium, though not as good. A lot of the "why we're here" of the story doesn't come until roughly 2/3 of the way through the movie. Because of that the movie feels a bit rushed and awkward for the firstSnowpiercer reminds me a lot of Equilibrium, though not as good. A lot of the "why we're here" of the story doesn't come until roughly 2/3 of the way through the movie. Because of that the movie feels a bit rushed and awkward for the first hour, and the ending barely lands with meaning because of how disjointed the ride is up to that point. Action sequences are quite interesting and are well shot, with more emphasis on artistic flair rather than slick production values. All in all, this is a good movie, but it won't have a very wide appeal because of its style and somewhat-lacking storytelling efforts. Expand
grandpajoe6191Aug 31, 2015
The dystopian action thriller "Snowpiercer" is a surprisingly well-crafted movie packed with unpredictable action and blood-boiling tension. Packed with some veteran performances from Tilda Swinton and John Hurt and a thorough script writtenThe dystopian action thriller "Snowpiercer" is a surprisingly well-crafted movie packed with unpredictable action and blood-boiling tension. Packed with some veteran performances from Tilda Swinton and John Hurt and a thorough script written with care, especially that of racism and class, this film is one you wouldn't want to miss watching. Expand
Tss5078Nov 17, 2014
Comedian Daniel Tosh calls Snowpiercer, the worst movie he's ever seen. I however disagree, as it is both highly original and highly imaginative, but set in a very odd location. When global warming has become too much for the planet, topComedian Daniel Tosh calls Snowpiercer, the worst movie he's ever seen. I however disagree, as it is both highly original and highly imaginative, but set in a very odd location. When global warming has become too much for the planet, top scientist create a cure, a new chemical that will stabilize the planet, however there is a miscalculation leading to a global ice age, which kills off most of the planet. Earth's remaining inhabitants are left stranded on a single luxury train that is forced to continually circle the earth. I understand that this train was a billionaires dream and has this state of the art engine that will last for decades, but why a train? I'd think if the world was ending, these people would put their money into an underground civilization or some super generator for the worlds largest building, because too me, a train doesn't make a whole lot of sense. When the engine fails, you're dead and if the ice causes a derailment or an avalanche crushes the tracks? There are so many things that could go wrong with this idea, that it's virtually impossible, that for 18 years, nothing has gone wrong. Captain America, Chris Evans stars and he is really terrific. I can't believe I never heard of this guy until a couple of years ago. He leads as if he's been doing it for years and Evans is assisted by a unique cast of characters, one stranger than the next, but their goal is all the same, to leave the crowded, filthy, back of the train, for the luxurious front. Every car brings with it new challenges and they must fight for their lives, before they can even worry about their freedom. The fact that this whole movie takes place on a train is intriguing and makes from some pretty unique scenes. Snowpiercer is one of the most imaginative films to come along in a long time and it features a huge cast of talented actors, that span multiple generations and ethnicities. To even my surprise I really enjoyed the film and couldn't wait to see what lay ahead in the next boxcar, but for as much as I liked the film, a thought kept gnawing in the back of my mind, why a train? Expand
oxanaAug 24, 2014
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is a powerful film, from start to finish. If it doesn't stick with you afterwards, you didn't watch it correctly.

"Snowpiercer" is a hard movie to watch many times. There is violence, but the hardships go beyond that: all the basic faults of humanity get packed into this two hours, contained in constricting metal boxes. Not so much preaching as just placing it there, in front of our eyes.

The story progresses in a very confined space, with a limited cast, and it feels like there's a knife pressed to your throat every second of the way, ready to steal away one character and then another, until you have no idea who is going to be left.

When the entire movie takes place in a train, there is only so much you can do - and only so far you can run. This element is played very well, subtly, yet somehow the train becomes the whole world, from the head to the tail.

In conclusion: this is a disturbing, confounding, terrible and frightening movie, comprised of very simple elements and very few moving parts, yet the story moves on, brutally and relentlessly, like the train through the blocks of snow and ice.

Not for the faint of heart, and just like in life, there is little to no room for a happy ending.
csw12Sep 13, 2014
One of the most interesting films of the year no doubt with a great cast but doesn't ever get to the point were you feel something seriously is at stake. Interesting concept that was a little rough around the edges.
AwesomeReviewerNov 13, 2014
Just saw "Snowpiercer" today and I gotta say, it's a brilliant movie. The cast is wonderful. Chris Evans gives one of his best performances and Tilda Swinton is unrecognizable, but oh so good in the film, probably the highlight in terms ofJust saw "Snowpiercer" today and I gotta say, it's a brilliant movie. The cast is wonderful. Chris Evans gives one of his best performances and Tilda Swinton is unrecognizable, but oh so good in the film, probably the highlight in terms of performances (Oscar nom anyone). The direction is superb and filled with so many amazing shots, visual effects and choreographed action it's like watching poetry in motion. I like the social class story, it's relevant and quite possible. The ending is the only missteps in the film, but overall, I loved it. A strong 4.5/5 Expand
talhalafciDec 22, 2014
Snowpiercer is an extraordinary post-apocalyptic film by a visionary South Korean director Joon-ho Bong. The films has everything, an excellent production design, fascinating storytelling, supreme cinematography and a spectacular cast.TildaSnowpiercer is an extraordinary post-apocalyptic film by a visionary South Korean director Joon-ho Bong. The films has everything, an excellent production design, fascinating storytelling, supreme cinematography and a spectacular cast.Tilda Swinton was mind-blowing and Chris Evans did the best work of his career.Definitely one of the best films of the year. Expand
BradySmithJan 29, 2015
I really like this movie, but I think I slightly overrated it the first time I wrote a review. It is a very impressive piece of work, from the production design, to the smart script, and the very visceral action scenes. It's well acted forI really like this movie, but I think I slightly overrated it the first time I wrote a review. It is a very impressive piece of work, from the production design, to the smart script, and the very visceral action scenes. It's well acted for the most part, but I can't help but feel like Chris Evans is a little stiff in his first few scenes. He eventually delivers a very impressive performance, but it starts out a little bit clunky. It's very visually impressive. Most of the effects shots are top notch, although a few aren't quite up to par with the rest. Snowpiercer's world is a fascinating and grim one, and the movie will thrill you and engage you completely while you're watching it. It's fast paced, unique, and exceptionally well made, but it ends with more of a whimper than a bang, and it doesn't stay with you especially long. Still though, it's well worth any movie lover's time. Expand
BrianMcCriticOct 21, 2014
This film gets better and better with every new door that is opened. The acting and directing are both strong and you are really along for the ride with Chris Evans and his characters moral turmoil. B+
Movie1997Jul 19, 2014
Interesting and engaging from a political stand point, "Snowpiercer" provides a well-meshed combination of action, political structures and even ways we view society. The premise is such a unique gem in that it throws in quite a bit of twistInteresting and engaging from a political stand point, "Snowpiercer" provides a well-meshed combination of action, political structures and even ways we view society. The premise is such a unique gem in that it throws in quite a bit of twist and turns. That's what makes the movie so interesting and even elevates the film to a bigger standard. I will say that some of the characters serve more of a purpose than others, especially Curtis (Chris Evans). His performance was probably the most real and awkwardly enough true to the American dream (if I may use that term properly). It does however suffer from a not so great pace at first, but once the action picks up, you're completely invested in this movie. Overall, it's a great action film with a very engaging premise. I give it an A-! Expand
GuyWhoReviewsJul 17, 2014
Snowpiercer, may not be perfect, but it is a very exciting film. The movie takes place on the Snowpiercer, a train that holds the rest of humanity after the entire world is frozen. The wealthy live in the front of the train while the poorSnowpiercer, may not be perfect, but it is a very exciting film. The movie takes place on the Snowpiercer, a train that holds the rest of humanity after the entire world is frozen. The wealthy live in the front of the train while the poor live in the last cars. The train circles around the entire globe with an engine that is able to run forever. The train sustains itself with a garden and numerous animals, while it uses the ice along its path for water. The main character of the movie, Curtis, is a man who lives in the back of the train. He and his fellow passengers in the back are treated poorly and forced to live in a small area with many people. Sick of living in forced poverty, Curtis and the rest of the passengers revolt against those keeping them in the back. Snowpiercer focuses on the corrupt society of the train and how Curtis and the others decide to change the way they live. The movie is fast paced and interesting while going through the various types of cars. For those who don't like gory movies I suggest to either avoid this movie or to be cautious. Numerous fight scenes include knifes and swords going straight into the chests of people. Although there are a few holes in the story it holds up well and is easily one of the best movies of the summer. Expand
moviemitch96Aug 23, 2014
I just finished watching this on demand and I must say it's one of the most exciting and entertaining films I've seen all year! While some of the plot elements feel a little too familiar and reused, such as the "post-apocalyptic" element andI just finished watching this on demand and I must say it's one of the most exciting and entertaining films I've seen all year! While some of the plot elements feel a little too familiar and reused, such as the "post-apocalyptic" element and "only a small handful of people survived" element, it's still easily made up for through its smart and masterful storytelling and acting, as well as the impressive visuals considering its semi-low budget. Chris Evans gives a strong lead performance. Tilda Swinton finds herself in yet another strict and intimidating role. The rest of the supporting cast, such as Jamie Bell, John Hurt, Octavia Spencer, Ed Harris, etc also did really well. Overall, it's one of the best sci-fi films this year and one of my favorite films of the year thus far! Expand
RoachramirezJul 10, 2014
Una buena pelicula donde te muestra la gente como batalla para sobre vivir cuando en el poder solo hay gente que quiere todo para ellos. buenas imagenes, peleas, solo creo que un poco lenta en la mitad pero todo bien
MistboosterJul 14, 2014
The movie and story itself are somewhat mediocre, but the visuals, and the soundscape of the movie nailed it, and the overall atmosphere and society portrayed in the movie, lift the movie barely above the muck of mediocre, It is also aThe movie and story itself are somewhat mediocre, but the visuals, and the soundscape of the movie nailed it, and the overall atmosphere and society portrayed in the movie, lift the movie barely above the muck of mediocre, It is also a refreshing movie in the sense it does not try to paint the people struggling for survival as saints, rather it shows people as grim as possible, caged animals struggling to survive, no matter what.

Pros:
-Despite showing little of the scenery outside the train, the visual are Gorgeous.
-Soundscape has been well designed and executed, many sci-fi films today do not pay that much attention to this part of the movie.
-The main protagonist delivers one of the best one liners i have encountered in the last 10 years, towards the end of the movie, while talking with a presumed addict(will not go into details, you have to see it yourself)
-The cast, well most of it, did an excellent job. Especially Tilda Swinton.

Cons:
-The backstory, and story itself, apart from the immediate things going on in the movie, are rather shallow, and they leave you begging for more info.
-The movie ends in an awkward cliffhanger, leaving the viewer to ask countless questions of what happened to who, who survived, and how long...
-Also the movies premise, a train that goes through all continents, in a year, is rather... not well thought out, that train must be travelling awfully slow, considering it takes a local Finnish train, stops and all, 13 hours to travel 800+ kilometers...
Meth-dudeMay 29, 2015
With a solid plot,convincing acting and non-stop action,Snowpiercer is overall a good movie.The end is pretty boring but,due to the running time,the movie is still pretty good.The only reason I didn't give a higher score is because the CGIWith a solid plot,convincing acting and non-stop action,Snowpiercer is overall a good movie.The end is pretty boring but,due to the running time,the movie is still pretty good.The only reason I didn't give a higher score is because the CGI effect,and there is a lot of them,are all pretty bad. Expand
richtofin819Oct 27, 2014
Snowpiercer is one of those movies you hear described and you just think based on that it will be terrible but when i went to see snowpiercer i encountered a remarkably well developed and grounded film that really immersed me in the plot andSnowpiercer is one of those movies you hear described and you just think based on that it will be terrible but when i went to see snowpiercer i encountered a remarkably well developed and grounded film that really immersed me in the plot and the characters predicament. i would recommend this to anyone. Expand
jbravoJul 6, 2014
I don't know....this was a pretty weird movie. lol. It's a one of a kind, I'll say that much. The characters were portrayed very well by the actors. There was a lot of dying all over the place, so it kinda got annoying. However, it was an okI don't know....this was a pretty weird movie. lol. It's a one of a kind, I'll say that much. The characters were portrayed very well by the actors. There was a lot of dying all over the place, so it kinda got annoying. However, it was an ok movie overall. Expand
PrestonISSep 3, 2014
Overall, this movie was great! A few of the actors could have done better with their roles (which is the primary reason why I give this film an 8/10). However, the story was very creative; it is yet another dystopian plot without all theOverall, this movie was great! A few of the actors could have done better with their roles (which is the primary reason why I give this film an 8/10). However, the story was very creative; it is yet another dystopian plot without all the young adult cliches that infest novels/movies such as Hunger Games, Divergent, etc. The dark humor knitted throughout scenes of bloodshed and seriousness also helped keep me entertained and engaged. The political and social issues brought to light by the metaphor of the train are problematic of today's society, which is why I believe this film did such a great job! Again, my primary criticism is the acting during some scenes. Highly recommend. Expand
RoraEstJun 30, 2014
I love the whole world of Snowpiercer, but the hard part to follow as the audience was the Korean characters conversations. Without the subs, I couldn't follow. I did amaze with all actors and their characters, until I realized, "Truman ShowI love the whole world of Snowpiercer, but the hard part to follow as the audience was the Korean characters conversations. Without the subs, I couldn't follow. I did amaze with all actors and their characters, until I realized, "Truman Show Man. #nice." Chris Evans nailed his character as always. Expand
wisdom11Jul 6, 2014
Snowpiercer is an interesting, thought-provoking movie, and one of the better movies currently in theaters n now. The strong aspect of the movie is the idea it asks about what it means to be human. I highly recommend it.
AlekswhitestalkJul 10, 2014
Фильм потрясающий, вот совсем ничего не ждал, а получил море удовольствия. Для РФ фильм можно сказать является очень качественной пародией на РЖД, кто ездил на поезде в России поймёт испытает почти то же самое чувство, что в этом фильме.Фильм потрясающий, вот совсем ничего не ждал, а получил море удовольствия. Для РФ фильм можно сказать является очень качественной пародией на РЖД, кто ездил на поезде в России поймёт испытает почти то же самое чувство, что в этом фильме. Порадовал Крис Эванс в главной роли. Такое прям путешествие длиною в поезд. Вагон за вагоном и нужно добраться до цели чтобы его остановить. Короче, очень затягивающий фильмец, рекомендую!
Моя оценка за сюжет 8 из 10, стереоэффекты 10 из 10, "градус неадеквата" 9 из 10. Итого разделим на три, получится ИТОГОВАЯ ОЦЕНКА "9 из 10"
Приятного просмотра!!!
mwass26Jul 21, 2014
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. An absolutely thrilling movie. I was on the edge of my seat the entire time. To think that they actually built and filmed in all of the train cars used in the movie is amazing. However the one thing that was not entirely satisfying was the ending. But if you are into thrilling action and an amazing story and acting then this is the movie for you Expand
SkyrimGuy935Jan 17, 2015
With strong social commentary and deep themes to match its grim tone, phenomenal acting and pulse-pounding action, Snowpiercer is one of my favorite movies of 2014. However, keep in mind that this film is very brutal and hard to watch atWith strong social commentary and deep themes to match its grim tone, phenomenal acting and pulse-pounding action, Snowpiercer is one of my favorite movies of 2014. However, keep in mind that this film is very brutal and hard to watch at some times.

9.1/10
vikesh2206Nov 10, 2014
shark013Aug 21, 2014
Very gory, but very suspenseful and entertaining. I like the acting of Chris Evans, and Ed Harris. John
Hurt as the old man was great also. Very futuristic.
Butters1104Sep 1, 2014
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I saw this movie in theatres while on a business trip and, from what I heard from my fellow audience members afterwards, very few of them understood it. And, upon reading the negative user reviews here, I can see that all of the negative reviewers did not understand this film either.
So, here is a clarification: This movie is very good IF you are willing to actually spend your viewing time 'thinking about it!' No, it is not a straight action film. No, it is not about Global Warming. ?Spoiler Alert? It is about the train conductor being their metaphorical "God" and, therefore, the question as to why some people have to suffer and others have a care-free life. And, that is only ONE interpretation. It could ALSO represent certain people purposely placing themselves above others; OR, whether (as the debate goes), there MUST be a lower class in order for an Upper class to thrive.
The point could also be to show the progression of Man throughout human existence. Remember the fire scene and how that turned the tables in the war? Like Sisyphus. And why did God put Man up against such terrible beasts and obstacles and make him indefensible?
There is a LOT to this film. In my opinion, the people who reviewed it negatively just weren't up to the intellectual challenge of film as art and metaphor.
SithbotOct 21, 2014
"Snowpiercer" stands out as the sleeper hit that almost no one got around to watching in theaters. This could be due to the fact that it had pretty horrible (read: ZERO) marketing and that it only had a limited release, which is a shame"Snowpiercer" stands out as the sleeper hit that almost no one got around to watching in theaters. This could be due to the fact that it had pretty horrible (read: ZERO) marketing and that it only had a limited release, which is a shame because it could have been one of the biggest hits of the year. It is definitely one of my favorites, and would probably have taken the top spot had it not been for its contrived ending that knocked it down a few pegs.

It's hard to express just how great this movie is, as nearly everything fits together so perfectly that it's nearly flawless in its presentation. We've seen dystopian futures countless times, but the way it is presented here is both horrific and endlessly fascinating. What's unique is that there is absolutely no escape from the predicament the characters are stuck in. Sure Katniss probably would have been found and killed had she escaped and ran from her district in "The Hunger Games", but there was always that chance she could survive. Not here. As proven very clearly in the opening minutes of the movie, humans can not survive the outside elements so the thought of escape is immediately quashed. The grimy and horrible conditions of squalor are perfectly represented here via set design and costumes, and it doesn't take much suspension of disbelief to buy in to the fact that these people were born and grew up in this hellhole.

As the rebellion makes its way forward into the nicer parts of the train, though, each cabin car is its own, unique world in which they discover animals, fish and even a school where children are brainwashed into hero-worship of Wilford who is not only their savior, but also lord and god.

Each set piece is important and tells a story, which makes the Snowpiercer itself almost as important a character as the people who reside within.

Of course, even the best setting will fall flat if the actors aren't up to the challenge presented to them, but everyone succeeds here magnificently. Chris Evans has grown and matured as an actor and easily holds his own against seasoned vets like John Hurt and Tilda Swinton. If anyone ever worried that Evans couldn't carry a film and "Winter Soldier" didn't convince, then this is the movie that will make you a believer. Tilda Swinton chews up her scenes as the main bad guy, and Jamie Bell has definitely grown up into a mature actor who I didn't even recognize at first as compared to his early days in "Billy Elliot" and other movies. A surprise appearance by an actor in a role I won't spoil due to its relevance to the plot had nearly the same impact as Kevin Spacey in "Se7en."

My only problem takes place in the last fifteen minutes or so when it feels the need to stop and casually spoon-feed exposition to the audience. Not only does this totally break the tempo and theme, it also almost completely steals a scene from a movie that came out over a decade ago that has been endlessly parodied and made fun of since. It was annoying and derivative, and made it nearly impossible to take seriously. To be fair, it ends on a high note, but the writers should have found a better way to "explain" everything that was going on.

Aside from that, though, this is a must-see film that I can't recommend enough. It has all the trappings of a great summer film (action, special effects, great storytelling), and it's a shame that so few people had the chance to see it while it was in theaters.
TheFilmFanaticNov 2, 2014
Snowpiercer is a fantastic sci-fi film that blends a dystopian apocalypse setting with that of gritty action and a strong, charismatic protagonist. The concept goes above and beyond, delivering a non-stop thriller that ceases to amazeSnowpiercer is a fantastic sci-fi film that blends a dystopian apocalypse setting with that of gritty action and a strong, charismatic protagonist. The concept goes above and beyond, delivering a non-stop thriller that ceases to amaze bringing a fresh take to a rather repetitive post-apocalyptic genre, with action worthy of any summer blockbuster. The cast is great, especially Chris Evans who gives an award worthy performance. Nice to see that sci-fi films can be action-filled without the aid of effects-driven story. Expand
WJSApr 3, 2015
This movie is bleak and claustrophobic however, it's very well acted, written and directed. Chris Evans and Tilda Switon are true standouts here and the art direction is quite good. Although the films somewhat dark outlook may not be toThis movie is bleak and claustrophobic however, it's very well acted, written and directed. Chris Evans and Tilda Switon are true standouts here and the art direction is quite good. Although the films somewhat dark outlook may not be to everyone’s taste, it's certainly entertaining in its own, unique way. Expand
SuperkidNov 24, 2014
Snowpiercer is an astonishingly good movie because it's not you're usual mainstream type of movie. It's different. Really liked this movie it was a great story and in my opinion Chris Evans' best performance this year and ever and I'm sureSnowpiercer is an astonishingly good movie because it's not you're usual mainstream type of movie. It's different. Really liked this movie it was a great story and in my opinion Chris Evans' best performance this year and ever and I'm sure some of you will disagree but i think so and the fights were cool and gory and it was great. Expand
virginiaproudJan 12, 2015
This is a fun romp, great performances and the script delivers some nice surprises. Nothing you want to take too seriously, just pop the corn and pour the wine.
danippMar 13, 2015
A riveting science fiction placed in a future in which inequality and violence still prevail and rich use their power to dominate the poorest ones and use them to keep their reign. Chris Evans has the greatest performance of his career, whileA riveting science fiction placed in a future in which inequality and violence still prevail and rich use their power to dominate the poorest ones and use them to keep their reign. Chris Evans has the greatest performance of his career, while Tilda Swinton also shines as the evil minister who punishes those who act violently. It's a meaningful story, with an amazing cast portraying it. It's tough to watch but it's worth until the last minute. This adventure will surprise you a lot. Expand
ShaormiconJan 28, 2015
It's certain that Snowpiercer is not a masterpiece but it is a pretty good movie whose strengths lie in its world building, the unique take on the mythos of Jonah. The action scenes thrown in the mix are not bad, they are rather anIt's certain that Snowpiercer is not a masterpiece but it is a pretty good movie whose strengths lie in its world building, the unique take on the mythos of Jonah. The action scenes thrown in the mix are not bad, they are rather an entertaining addition but the postmodernist symbolism feels a bit forced and though the movie should be thought provoking with its ending it is just a bit too ambiguous for many to reach a satisfying conclusion.
Personally I have been very entertained by this movie and by Chris Evans' performance.
SnowpiercerMar 2, 2015
Fantastic movie! Story is nicely written, the actors are more than good, I don't get some low scores here. It would be even better if it was produced and filmed in Korea, cause Holywood ruins most movies nowadays. :(
MattBrady99Mar 13, 2015
Curtis: "A thousand people in an iron box. No food, no water. After a month we ate the weak. You know what I hate about myself? I know what people tastes like....I know that babies taste best". The story is about a failed global-warmingCurtis: "A thousand people in an iron box. No food, no water. After a month we ate the weak. You know what I hate about myself? I know what people tastes like....I know that babies taste best". The story is about a failed global-warming experiment kills off most life on the planet. The final survivors board the SNOWPIERCER, a train that travels around the globe via a perpetual-motion engine. This has to be the most original and the most well directed film that I've seen this year. The action scenes was well shot and Chris Evans was brilliant in this film. The rest of the cast did a excellent job in they roles. Overall Snowpiercer is a awesome movie with a great story. Expand
VaskallionApr 1, 2015
This movie has something great, something mediocre and something absurd.
I liked the idea. I enjoyed how they shot a movie.
There are major flaws in the movie which stopped me from giving it 8. What i found ridiculous is the actor choice
This movie has something great, something mediocre and something absurd.
I liked the idea. I enjoyed how they shot a movie.
There are major flaws in the movie which stopped me from giving it 8.
What i found ridiculous is the actor choice for the main character. He just doesn't fit there!
Also movie kind of reminds me of hunger games; the Higher class (front of the train) are flamboyant, propaganda washed, crazy people... And the other half are beggars fighting for survival. At that point it's hunger games on train.
Now some good parts i enjoyed. Fighting scenes are not as good as in "Kingsman", but they are decent and i enjoyed them.
At some points at the movie i felt creeped out which i think is a good thing for a scary movie.
And some characters are really interesting and quite unique. Just not enough screen time to develop them.
So here is my advise; watch it! it will not be the movie of the year for you, but the time you'll spend watching it won't be wasted. The only thing you'll have to do is not pay too much attention at obvious mistakes :)
Bartholomew123Jul 10, 2015
A truly brilliant movie with exceptional (slightly surprising) acting. And mesmerizing visuals. I love Sci-Fi films. Especially if its realistic Sci-Fi. Which this isn't. But that really doesn't matter due to its non-stop train traversingA truly brilliant movie with exceptional (slightly surprising) acting. And mesmerizing visuals. I love Sci-Fi films. Especially if its realistic Sci-Fi. Which this isn't. But that really doesn't matter due to its non-stop train traversing action sequences and its thoughtful, deep script. Expand
moviefanatic15Jul 7, 2015
Snowpiercer is one of those films were you want to watch it over and over again. It has something for everyone. Action, science-fiction, adventure. This film is based off a french graphic novel and trust me, the movie is more interesting thanSnowpiercer is one of those films were you want to watch it over and over again. It has something for everyone. Action, science-fiction, adventure. This film is based off a french graphic novel and trust me, the movie is more interesting than the graphic novel. This movie shows what is't like on the train 5 - 6 minutes into the movie and you really feel for the characters, especially Chris Evans. It's truly a movie worth watching. Expand
Compi24Nov 19, 2015
Excellent world-building collides with fantastically staged action sequences in "Snowpiercer," Bong Joon-Ho's thrillingly twisted sociopolitical sci-fi triumph.
TributeManMar 21, 2016
Inteligentny, metaforyczny i absurdalny.

Inteligentny, metaforyczny i absurdalny.

W tych 3 słowach można opisać Snowpiercer. Sceny akcji wyglądają dobrze, ale najczęściej toną w absurdzie (fizyka w tym filmie nie istnieje). Na szczęście to jedyna wada tego filmu. Tego typu produkcje nie podają nam wszystkiego gotowego na tacy, wielu rzeczy powinniśmy sami się domyśleć (co zawsze jest na plus). Dzięki temu zaangażowałem się. Los bohaterów obchodził mnie bardziej niż w większości filmów. Mam nadzieję, że zacznie powstawać więcej takich filmów! 9/10
FilmQueenNov 19, 2015
It's a very interesting dystopian idea of the future. Although I must say the concept is very unrealistic, first of all surviving on a train like this wouldn't actually be possible (those railways would need maintenance). There are also otherIt's a very interesting dystopian idea of the future. Although I must say the concept is very unrealistic, first of all surviving on a train like this wouldn't actually be possible (those railways would need maintenance). There are also other illogical things in the plot ,but I do not want to list everything. Still, the mistakes are forgivable. Visually the style is spectacular, (but violent, so I wouldn't recommend it to people who have a problem with that) and the cast is also great. The ending is kind-of dumb in my opinion, however the movie as a whole is quite original and the social criticism is well-applied through the sections of the train. Expand
clevermonikerNov 18, 2015
Spectacular. Profound social commentary, incredible set design, truly memorable performances. This film would be a worthy third installment of a trilogy, along with Brazil and 12 Monkeys. Highest recommendation.
EpicLadySpongeFeb 25, 2016
Don't let any negative review here come screwing your head. Let any positive review do that for you. Users cannot be trusted at all. Trust yourself and your opinion and so that... Snowpiercer is one of the best films I've ever experiencedDon't let any negative review here come screwing your head. Let any positive review do that for you. Users cannot be trusted at all. Trust yourself and your opinion and so that... Snowpiercer is one of the best films I've ever experienced counterfeits yet work out on the exciting moments this movie's waiting for you to watch. Expand
PhysbeamJan 18, 2016
While some details like a perpetual motion engine were off, overall I thought the movie did a very good job at getting its point across, giving intense action throughout the film, and providing a interesting plot that pretty easy to followWhile some details like a perpetual motion engine were off, overall I thought the movie did a very good job at getting its point across, giving intense action throughout the film, and providing a interesting plot that pretty easy to follow with all the foreshadowing and pretty consistent themes throughout the movie. Personally I thought the movie was wrapped up by a very reasonable but entertaining ending. Expand
Avalon011Apr 3, 2016
At first I wasn't sure about this one but I gave it 30 minutes, I actually very much enjoyed this movie. It's different and new, the acting is great....
slickserpent99Aug 18, 2016
Snowpiercer is one of the best movies I have ever seen. Driven by amazing performances, a gritty and thrilling plot, excellent action and visuals, and complex story details about the horrors of violence, the simplicity of the human race, howSnowpiercer is one of the best movies I have ever seen. Driven by amazing performances, a gritty and thrilling plot, excellent action and visuals, and complex story details about the horrors of violence, the simplicity of the human race, how humans react in life or death situation, and how difficult choices change a person. Snowpiercer is a must-see for anyone who watches movies. Expand