• Studio: Magna
  • Release Date: Oct 18, 2002
8.2

1. Aug 27, 2010
    A philosophical sci-film film of the likes of '2001,' but the ideas presented are a little more contained (as in they don't completely question the formation and meaning of life and the universe). There is no doubt that this is a truly gorgeous movie, and anyone who gives a hoot about cinematography will tell you that, but sometimes I feel like Tarkovsky is a little uncompromising in his visual artistry. There's literally a scene that follows a car driving on a stretch of highway for 8 minutes. There's the camera motif of zooming in on random objects for almost every scene in the second half of the movie. I could go on. I guess I just have to say that the only way to enjoy this movie is from a truly philosophical perspective, which is fine because at the end of all things, that's effectively what this movie leaves you thinking about, and as a person heading into a science career, it is especially pertinent to me. Collapse
  2. Oct 26, 2013
    why ever would anyone give it a bad rating?
    this movie still stands along the "my fair lady", "The umbrellas of Cherbourg", the ideas are grand, Lem is a huge talent, to understand it is not easy, well, how was to write it?
    I watched this movie many many times, and yet I find something new every single time I watch it.
    Reading it is just as pleasurable as watching, we need more
    talents like Lem Expand

1. Stands with the greatest science-fiction movies ever made.
  2. Reviewed by: Staff (Not Credited)
    Slow, but ravishingly beautiful and charged with a real poignancy.
    Routinely called Tarkovsky's reply to Kubrick's "2001" -- But Kubrick's film is outward, charting man's next step in the universe, while Tarkovsky's is inward, asking about the nature and reality of the human personality.