• Studio: Magna
  • Release Date: Oct 18, 2002
7.9

1. Oct 26, 2013
    why ever would anyone give it a bad rating?
    this movie still stands along the "my fair lady", "The umbrellas of Cherbourg", the ideas are grand, Lem is a huge talent, to understand it is not easy, well, how was to write it?
    I watched this movie many many times, and yet I find something new every single time I watch it.
    Reading it is just as pleasurable as watching, we need more
    talents like Lem Expand
  2. Apr 16, 2012
    I wish I could say I liked this film as much as others, but it was simply too slow, too contemplative, and too philosophical for my taste. It was even amateurish in parts. There is a scene towards the beginning of the film where it starts raining on a bright sunny day. You can see shadows behind the obvious bad water effect. There is a camera transfixed on a pond for several minutes, a freeway sequence that goes on for about 10 minutes (a bathroom break I guess), and the camera showing close ups of various parts of a painting. There is even one scene where a rocket ship takes off inside a small room, and he stays in the room when it takes off. In real life he would be fried to bits. Here the back of his uniform catches fire and he gets a few blisters. I do think the film set of the inside of the space station looks pretty good, and overall the acting is good, and there are a few good visuals, but it really needed some editing. I say this as someone who loves slow paced films, like the film this one is always compared to, the great "2001 - A Space Odyssey" by Kubrick. Expand
  3. Apr 29, 2011
    Extremely slow and contemplative and completely mental. This movie is not for everybody. It definitely tried my patience, Im glad i made it through to the end. Utterly fantastic film.
  4. Aug 27, 2010
    A philosophical sci-film film of the likes of '2001,' but the ideas presented are a little more contained (as in they don't completely question the formation and meaning of life and the universe). There is no doubt that this is a truly gorgeous movie, and anyone who gives a hoot about cinematography will tell you that, but sometimes I feel like Tarkovsky is a little uncompromising in his visual artistry. There's literally a scene that follows a car driving on a stretch of highway for 8 minutes. There's the camera motif of zooming in on random objects for almost every scene in the second half of the movie. I could go on. I guess I just have to say that the only way to enjoy this movie is from a truly philosophical perspective, which is fine because at the end of all things, that's effectively what this movie leaves you thinking about, and as a person heading into a science career, it is especially pertinent to me. Collapse

1. Stands with the greatest science-fiction movies ever made.
  2. Reviewed by: Staff (Not Credited)
    Slow, but ravishingly beautiful and charged with a real poignancy.
    Routinely called Tarkovsky's reply to Kubrick's "2001" -- But Kubrick's film is outward, charting man's next step in the universe, while Tarkovsky's is inward, asking about the nature and reality of the human personality.