5.6

1. Feb 3, 2011
    Mindblowing emotionally, and stunningly beautiful. This is a really slow movie but if you can just sit back and let the fantastic soundtrack, spectacular visuals and emotion twisting plot slowly wash over you, then this will become your new favourite movie.
  2. Dec 14, 2011
    A film that ultimately rewards patience and attention - abilities often absent in today's audience. Jeremy Davies' quizzical Snow is a superb creation.
  3. Oct 24, 2012
    Solaris is one of the most original, unique and intriguing science fiction films ever made. Steven Soderbergh takes cues from 2001: A Space Odyssey and runs with them into the modern age. The film also sees a true powerhouse performance from George Clooney. Solaris has mystery, beauty and emotion sown into every frame. Phenomenal stuff!
  4. ALF
    Sep 25, 2011
    This is yet another example of why Americans should not remake foreign films. They messed up the 7 Samurai with "Tthe Magnificent Seven", turned the original Japanese Ring films into a mess losing the plot, then with this classic Russian film, tried condensing it into the usual "slot" on time and cut and paste all the meaning out of it. Please Amerian film makers. Leave foreign films aloneThis is yet another example of why Americans should not remake foreign films. They messed up the 7 Samurai with "Tthe Magnificent Seven", turned the original Japanese Ring films into a mess losing the plot, then with this classic Russian film, tried condensing it into the usual "slot" on time and cut and paste all the meaning out of it. Please Amerian film makers. Leave foreign films alone so that people can see for example, this beautiful haunting Russian arthouse film rather than dross. To anyone who liked this American version, you should see the Russian version and the actress Natalia Bonderchuk is much better and far more convincing than Natasha McElhone. Expand
  5. Oct 13, 2011
    Not nearly as bad as most people make it out to be. I don't see how people would fault this American version for being different from the Russian, since neither captures even half of the thematic focus of the novel, which undoubtably is infinitely better than any other form of the story. The novel manages to study the relationship between parallel topics of an introspective, psychologicalNot nearly as bad as most people make it out to be. I don't see how people would fault this American version for being different from the Russian, since neither captures even half of the thematic focus of the novel, which undoubtably is infinitely better than any other form of the story. The novel manages to study the relationship between parallel topics of an introspective, psychological love story and a philosophical exploration on the limits of scientific understanding, subjectivity, practical implications of religion, etc. (the whole boat-load). The Russian film focused on the latter, while, as might be expected, the American went for the former. So I can't really see how anyone says they appreciate the book in its entirety, praise the 1972 film but dismiss the 2002 one. So all that aside, this film does its niche fairly well. The cinematography, soundtrack, acting, writing are all fairly above par if not spell-binding (the acting is really far more compelling here than in the Russian; those who say otherwise are just being stubborn). The pace is slow which can definitely turn off a lot of people, but it provides a dream-like, Lynchian trance for those who sit the whole thing out. Expand
  6. Apr 6, 2012
    A beautiful, romantic and thought-provoking film. A slow and introspective journey into the nature of lost love. Definitely not for the unwashed masses (it's measured, complex and open ended - nothing gets blown up and there's not a single car race), but worthwhile if you love cinema and appreciate a good story.
  7. Jun 8, 2012
    Amazed at the passion the negative reviewers display with their hatred of this movie, and the anger they feel at folks like me who genuinely enjoyed it. When you say they just don't get it, it only makes them angrier and more defensive, so I will instead say this; if you didn't like the movie, say just that. Don't say it was crap, or stupid or whatever, because there are many people, farAmazed at the passion the negative reviewers display with their hatred of this movie, and the anger they feel at folks like me who genuinely enjoyed it. When you say they just don't get it, it only makes them angrier and more defensive, so I will instead say this; if you didn't like the movie, say just that. Don't say it was crap, or stupid or whatever, because there are many people, far more accomplished and thoughtful (not to mention well-spoken) than many of you negative nancies, who put their heart and soul into this movie. Are you saying they are all stupid? Would you say that to their face? Why else do think think people tell you that you just don't get it? Stop being dick-holes and simply acknowledge that it's not your kind of movie. I found it to be intriguingly tense and thought provoking. Does that mean I think you are retarded for not agreeing with me? Well, ...yes, yes it does. Expand
  8. Aug 20, 2014
    Just wow. On pretty much every front, Solaris is an exceptional film. George Clooney is marvelous here. My main criticism with him, as much as I do like him, is that he frequently seems to just play himself in many films. Here, however, he does anything but. Steven Soderbergh's direction is great and the visual effects here of space and of the planet Solaris are breathtakingly gorgeous andJust wow. On pretty much every front, Solaris is an exceptional film. George Clooney is marvelous here. My main criticism with him, as much as I do like him, is that he frequently seems to just play himself in many films. Here, however, he does anything but. Steven Soderbergh's direction is great and the visual effects here of space and of the planet Solaris are breathtakingly gorgeous and really something to marvel at. In that way and in terms of what it all means, reminds me a lot of 2001: A Space Odyssey. Very ambigious, confusing, slow, and beautiful, Solaris is really quite brilliant, though a tough nut to crack. Personally, I am still racking my brain over what everything in this one meant and trying to figure out what I am supposed to take away. Ultimately, however, I think this is an orange you can peel in many different ways, which makes it all the more intriguing. Personally, I think there are many plausible explanations, whether they be on reality (what is truly real?), love (and its everlasting nature), and death (where will we reunite, if we ever do? letting go or can you truly ever let go?). It raises many interesting questions and it may not have all the answers and is most certainly very flawed at times and leaves many unanswerable questions (unless "I don't know" is an answer). However, in spite of that, I adored this one. I love films with ambiguity and ones that raise many questions that make it fun to discuss and this is a classic example of that. Now, I would never recommend it to anyone, because if I did, odds are they would come back and call me an idiot since this one is an acquired taste, but I loved it all the same. Expand
  9. Oct 11, 2013
    It might not exactly be George Clooney's most riveting outer space adventure, with a whole lot of moral intrigue and a bevy of beautiful images from one of Hollywood's most aesthetic directors, "Solaris" is definitely worth the watch.
  10. Sep 22, 2013
    This is a disappointing movie. It has a rendering of a beautiful planet but forgot that it was supposed to be mostly ocean and not mostly plasma like the consistency of a star. Most of the movie was spent lingering on Clooney and McElhone, neither one seeming to have any need to blink (which I found really disturbing). I didn't really feel any more empathetic towards them with all ofThis is a disappointing movie. It has a rendering of a beautiful planet but forgot that it was supposed to be mostly ocean and not mostly plasma like the consistency of a star. Most of the movie was spent lingering on Clooney and McElhone, neither one seeming to have any need to blink (which I found really disturbing). I didn't really feel any more empathetic towards them with all of those close ups, really. It could have saved at least 10 minutes of pointless slow panning and closeups. Also, please put a shirt on Clooney and wipe his sweat. Another sore point I have was the kid: he has the ability to corporealize on will depending on the plot, the other creatures didn't have this ability. I gave it one point because I believed Viola Davis' character really went through something difficult and was the only one who I felt was a real human being. I gave it another point because aside from the time wasted on Clooney and McElhone, the movie didn't feel like it was too slow. Expand
  11. Nov 3, 2014
    One of my favorite movies. It jumps between genres, which I think throws people off. Seems like it's going to be a scary movie, but turns into a thoughtful movie about love and loss.
    I really don't know why it reviews so poorly, but you should give it a chance.

Solaris achieves an almost perfect balance of poetry and pulp. This is as elegant, moody, intelligent, sensuous, and sustained a studio movie as we are likely to see this season -- and in its intrinsic nuttiness, perhaps the least compromised.
    The Soderbergh version is like the same story freed from the weight of Tarkovsky's solemnity. And it evokes one of the rarest of movie emotions, ironic regret.
  3. Reviewed by: Claudia Puig
    Soderbergh does a fine job creating a moody atmosphere of pervasive anxiety. The ending can be interpreted a few different ways and should ignite debate about its meaning.