RADiUS-TWC | Release Date: September 28, 2012
6.8
Generally favorable reviews based on 55 Ratings
WATCH NOW
MorituriOct 14, 2013
A simply fantastic movie in every way. A perfect swashbuckling blockbuster with a great hypnotic performance by James Purefoy. How it took over three years for this film to reach the States is beyond me and even more why is anybody pleaseA simply fantastic movie in every way. A perfect swashbuckling blockbuster with a great hypnotic performance by James Purefoy. How it took over three years for this film to reach the States is beyond me and even more why is anybody please doing a sequel My kids and wife love this film too. A great piece of entertainment. I would like to Solomon Kane now journey into Africa into one of his many adventures. Come on Hollywood, wake up and pick it up. Expand
DJohnsonOct 26, 2012
I am a big fan of the comics, like my dad, and this is the best, most faithful, accurate adaption we could have asked for, who would have known james purefoy could play the legendary anti-hero so well, especially after his APPALLING work onI am a big fan of the comics, like my dad, and this is the best, most faithful, accurate adaption we could have asked for, who would have known james purefoy could play the legendary anti-hero so well, especially after his APPALLING work on resident evil, all of the cast works well, the action is epic and old-fashioned in a great way, of course, whoever made this is a wonderful person and i hope they maintain this level of devotion in their other films :) Expand
FinulaFeb 23, 2014
As a longtime Robert E. Howard fan, I had to see this movie. To be honest, I wasn't expecting much, but was pleasantly surprised. It was well cast, well acted, convincingly set. The special effects are sparingly used to set the tone, and veryAs a longtime Robert E. Howard fan, I had to see this movie. To be honest, I wasn't expecting much, but was pleasantly surprised. It was well cast, well acted, convincingly set. The special effects are sparingly used to set the tone, and very well designed, the fight scenes work, the costumes are plausible.
This movie was clearly a labor of love, and deserving of better reviews than it has sometimes gotten. But you have to judge a story based on its type. Claiming the characters lack depth is like blaming Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow for being unrealistic. I can only hope that this movie did well enough to inspire more of the same. King Kull anyone? How about Cormac MacArt?
mickeyboyJan 2, 2013
solomon kane is an almost perfect medieval hack 'n slash action flick with a decent cast, solid direction, and an awesome screenplay, which, unfortunately, doesn't entirely make the transition from paper to celluloid, but that's only a knitpick...
StevenFMar 28, 2013
James Purefoy puts in an emotional and commanding performance as pulp magazine hero Solomon Kane, the privateer who soon pays the price from the devil and lives a life of redemption.
The plot in this film acts as an origin story for the
The plot in this film acts as an origin story for the character, as we begin with a very merciless and egotistical Kane bombarding his way into a fortress of treasure, only to be driven out by "The Devils Reaper", damning his soul to the devil.
As Solomon flees back to England, he now attempts to live a life of piece, adorning his body in various religious symbols to protect himself from the devil.
As he is again driven out to embark o another journey, he happens across the Crowthorns, a family on their way to The New World.
But tragedy strikes along the way and Solomon must renounce his promise of a peaceful life and once again become a warrior, to search for Meredith Crowthorn (Rachel Hurd-Wood) who has been taken by the evil sorcerer, Malachi.
The film is a mini-epic in every way, combining visually stunning fight scenes and a very enthralling story that is well written and solidly directed. It takes many visual cues from the likes of Lord of the Rings and succeeds, attempting to put a riveting story and beautiful scenes side by side, and most of the time succeeding. It certainly takes advantage of the beautiful scenery and snow covered tops to bringing a big-budget feel to it.
James Purefoy is well placed as our anti-hero, his charm yet unrelenting charisma rings true to the original creation. Mackenzie Crook also makes an appearance as a shady priest, and the late Pete Postlethwaite puts in a dignified and friendly performance as William Crowthorne. The only the gripe I have is perhaps the finale of the story, which seemed almost to chid-friendly, compared to the excellent and typically sombre tone at the beginning, similar in moments to Defiance. The ending wasn't necessarily a letdown, but it all came across cartoony and seemed a bit cliche and perhaps too rushed.
But apart from that, the film is a raging success, and deserves much more credit that it has, lets hope the planned sequels do indeed go ahead.
Patrick94Jan 19, 2014
Really good acting overall, I especially thought James Purefoy was brilliant. The reason it doesn't get a 9 is because the CGI looks a bit dodgy in a few instances, BUT it's not that bad that it takes away from the experience. It's a reallyReally good acting overall, I especially thought James Purefoy was brilliant. The reason it doesn't get a 9 is because the CGI looks a bit dodgy in a few instances, BUT it's not that bad that it takes away from the experience. It's a really great dark fantasy movie with a really cold, atmospheric world. I found it slightly predictable at one point, but overall I really enjoyed it. It's a shame there isn't going to be a sequel though. Expand
McCorpseDec 15, 2013
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I liked it but not as much as I expected. To be honest its about as good as their previous effort, Conan. Well made with lots of action but no real soul. This movie trys to be better in that department but ultimately fails. Sure the story has potential an is somewhat interesting, A warrior who sold his soul to the devil for ultimate power flees when the devil comes to collect. He then basically becomes a pilgrim and struggles to keep himself from falling back into the life of evil. I was interested and kept waiting to see where they went with it but it goes exactly where you expect without any real suprises along the way. Along the way we are also treated to boatloads of action and limb chopping gore but its not enough to make it a really over the top awesome movie. All in all I enjoyed it but wasn't amazed. Expand
LeZeeOct 4, 2016
In the 17th England, a ruthless warrior set to rediscover his path.

In the 17th England, a ruthless warrior set to rediscover his path.

There's no reason, but after a long due I saw this. I'm pretty impressed with the film's production, but in the end it was an average film for me. James Purefoy was good, but the story needed someone very husky looking actor to play the Solomon. That's what spoiled my watch, other than that I enjoyed most of the film. Because the tone and the pace were excellent, but it was a predictable story.

A savage warrior leading his men somewhere in the Northern Africa, when he's sensing he almost defeated them, comes to know his soul is damned. He escapes there, leaves his all that life behind and looks for a peaceful future. He was born to be a warrior, that's why he left his own kingdom. So in his second chance to rediscover his path, he must achieve the impossible to defeat his opponent.

Full of dark and wet atmosphere really gives that required medieval look. The locations were well used and also the costumes, so if you like films that sets in this era, particularly stunts, then you might enjoy it. But if you ask me, I would say it is just a one time watchable film. Entertainment is guaranteed, but because of something, the film does not not look complete. So recommended for the selected viewers.

cryhardhumorFeb 24, 2015
The acting is pretty painful at some parts, and the characters are sloppily written and uninteresting, but the thing that saves Solomon Kane from complete failure is its dazzling visuals and well executed action.
HalfwelshmanOct 21, 2012
Solomon Kane is a moody, violent and mostly entertaining quasi-historical action/horror movie experience. The influence of Hammer films and 2004's Van Helsing are obvious, though this film is more straight-faced and serious than either. JamesSolomon Kane is a moody, violent and mostly entertaining quasi-historical action/horror movie experience. The influence of Hammer films and 2004's Van Helsing are obvious, though this film is more straight-faced and serious than either. James Purefoy makes a serviceable leading man, and his flawed titular hero has surprising depth to him, though the use of his natural West Country accent is oddly distracting after his many roles using neutral or American voices. All due respect to the veteran talent of Max von Sydow and Pete Postlethwaite for bringing a little gravitas to proceedings, and for giving far better performances than they actually have to, though the rest of the cast are uninspiring, particularly Rachel Hurd-Wood's rather bland and annoying damsel in distress. The visuals of the film are creepy and unusual enough to be interesting, the action is well-executed and bloody, but the big finale (on which director Michael J. Bassett clearly spent the vast majority of the film's budget) is oddly underwhelming and emotionally dead. The plot as a whole is also a bit too formulaic, with the big narrative twists signposted far too obviously. Solomon Kane delivers in terms of atmosphere, gothic visuals and unflinchingly brutal fight sequences, but still falls short because of its cut-and-paste story and underdeveloped characters. In truth, it's a better film than the aforementioned distant relative Van Helsing, though I do miss the tongue-in-cheek self-deprecation of that film, and the slightly camp thrills of Hammer - there is such a thing as taking yourself too seriously. With such a strong aesthetic and dark themes, Solomon Kane's failings could be ironed out in a sequel, which might become something more unique and rewarding for the viewer. Whether this sequel emerges at some point in the near future, or at all, remains to be seen. Collapse
morfilFeb 2, 2016
This film quickly became absolutely tedious, with poor action and unsatisfying action sequences, buttressed by horrible pacing and embarrassing dialog. The character of Solomon Kane had wonderful potential, again, with his conflicted andThis film quickly became absolutely tedious, with poor action and unsatisfying action sequences, buttressed by horrible pacing and embarrassing dialog. The character of Solomon Kane had wonderful potential, again, with his conflicted and complex back-story, but he became static, with only formulaic motivation propelling his dull and boring quest. Expand