4.0

1. Mar 30, 2014
    Son of God isn't that bad of a film. Yes its long and has poor acting but whether you believe what happened or not, it's an interesting story. Too bad the film couldn't have told that story better.
  2. Mar 8, 2014
    Surprisingly well acted and engaging, Son of God doesn't reach the heights of say, Passion of the Christ, but it's not the bore it could have been either. Some people believe that all Christians think all films about God are great, but I think being a Christian actually makes me more critical of Biblical movies. Son of God has some real emotion in it, and it's actually less preachy thanSurprisingly well acted and engaging, Son of God doesn't reach the heights of say, Passion of the Christ, but it's not the bore it could have been either. Some people believe that all Christians think all films about God are great, but I think being a Christian actually makes me more critical of Biblical movies. Son of God has some real emotion in it, and it's actually less preachy than many other faith based films. That's not to say that the movie is sinless in cinematic terms. The visual effects showing ancient Jerusalem couldn't get any cheesier in my opinion. Even 14 year old Gladiator completely destroys the film on this front. Of course, Gladiator had over 100 million in its budget, but I've seen free software create more believable visuals than seen in Son of God. There are also a few clumsy moments in terms of storytelling, and it's really nothing new, but I think the film is good enough in terms of acting and directing to give a little boost to your faith if you're running low. And you'd have to be a stone to not be in danger of crying at the crucifixion scenes. Expand
  3. Mar 8, 2014
    Son of god I found to be very powerful. Not just for Christians and the believers of God, but for everyone. It may be Christian oriented but the film explains very well (Not exactly as powerful as "The Passion") how cruel as human beings we can be in the world we live in today as well as it was a very long time ago.
  4. Feb 28, 2014
    But, revere them or reject them, in my mind the Christ stories that generated the most controversy were the most interesting films. Son Of God is TV-movie watchable, but it is not the greatest telling of ostensibly the greatest story ever told.
  5. Jul 4, 2014
    A good telling of the story of Jesus, but I'm not going to lie to you and tell you that it's perfect. Obviously Christian audiences are going to enjoy it the most, even if it has some inconsistencies here and there that aren't entirely factual. Once again those who have something against God, Jesus, and religion and general are going to hate it. That's sort of my main problem with theA good telling of the story of Jesus, but I'm not going to lie to you and tell you that it's perfect. Obviously Christian audiences are going to enjoy it the most, even if it has some inconsistencies here and there that aren't entirely factual. Once again those who have something against God, Jesus, and religion and general are going to hate it. That's sort of my main problem with the movie. Even though it does a good job of telling the tale it does nothing to give those outside of the Christian faith a reason to care. It won't give them any reason to doubt themselves or make them wonder, which is something I believe a truly great telling of the story of Jesus (and religion in general) should do.

I think most of this has to do with the way it plays out. The majority of the movie is a string of the big moments in the life of Jesus that are popular in Sunday school lessons, and those who know the tales will have fun figuring out which ones are which, but they are tied together with little to no context which means that those unfamiliar with the tales will feel somewhat lost. The crucifixion scenes do hold power, but the moments leading up to them will not make those who do not care about Jesus, well, care.

For Christian audiences this is a movie that does a good job of telling a large portion of the story of Jesus, and I feel that this is the audience it was going for. Non-Christian audiences are better off looking for a movie that will actually do more to get them interested in the "stories" of God and Jesus, or even asking a Christian to tell them about it or visiting a church. This movie won't do much to peek their curiosity. As it stands it's a harmless movie that Christian audiences will both enjoy and respect. It's just a shame I do not see a reason why it would do anything for those who are not of the faith. If it had I would have rated the movie higher. My total score is a 6.5/10=Okay.
  6. Apr 25, 2014
    Stop reviewing the message Christians..... You are not posting 'reviews' so why click on 'write a REVIEW'?? Not having a go and you are all clearly wholesome and nice people and God Bless you. But you are just saying hilariously quotable things like, "God really does exist" (?? Now after you have seen the film? Or you just always thought that, saw the film, and then bashed us with itStop reviewing the message Christians..... You are not posting 'reviews' so why click on 'write a REVIEW'?? Not having a go and you are all clearly wholesome and nice people and God Bless you. But you are just saying hilariously quotable things like, "God really does exist" (?? Now after you have seen the film? Or you just always thought that, saw the film, and then bashed us with it because the film gave you the excuse to share what you believe in and therefore find important (selfishness by definition whether righteous or otherwise)??
    Either way: SSSssshhhhhhhh. Is the film good? Cool! Please inform us how (acting, cinematography, drection?)? Because we know the message is (even though it spread death, racism, war and disease with it.. oops!) good..... for the most part.... but what about the movie? All the 10/10s do not seem to be reviews.
    Put it this way, it is hard to convince anyone of anything when you sound brainwashed and one-track. In every other area of life, we generally regard this as a bad and foreboding thing. It is why cults exist... Munchausen syndrome.... racism.... and any number of other negative things. Deciding on our destiny is unlikely to be less important. So we can't be sure, just 'cos you all are. We have been afflicted with independent thought and the ability to be troubled. Our bad.
    It would be so refreshing to have a full-blown Christian come in and say, God is good and great and this film is a steaming pile of ****. But which one has been able to or could separate the too? Exactly.

1. Reviewed by: Drew McWeeny
    Apr 18, 2014
    There is nothing in this version that make any of this feel urgent or even important.
  2. Reviewed by: Louis Black
    Mar 5, 2014
    Not to be glib but, obviously, believers will feel reaffirmed, and those looking to again enjoy and be enriched by the miraculous life and greatest sacrifice of Jesus will be rewarded. More casual viewers will find themselves glazing over from the obviousness of it all.
    Their movie has its moments, to be sure, and the target evangelical audience may well respond enthusiastically, but, unless your own salvation is riding on it, the film is mostly a slog.