Paramount Vantage | Release Date: May 2, 2008
7.4
Generally favorable reviews based on 33 Ratings
WATCH NOW
loki-sfNov 3, 2013
The theme of this story is really good. Unfortunately it is only accomplished through excessive unnecessary foul language, random violence and drug use. Content which could had been avoided without compromising the experience of the movie.
drlowdonMay 25, 2013
Eleven year old Will, sheltered from the outside world as part of a religious group known as the Plymouth Brethren has never seen a movie before. When his new found friend, school trouble-maker Lee Carter, shows him Rambo: First Blood the twoEleven year old Will, sheltered from the outside world as part of a religious group known as the Plymouth Brethren has never seen a movie before. When his new found friend, school trouble-maker Lee Carter, shows him Rambo: First Blood the two set out to make their own movie, inspired by the Stallone classic.

The pairs attempt to create their own stunts are certainly humorous, if not exactly laugh out loud funny, but it is the pairs friendship that is really at the heart of the movie. Bill Milner and Will Poulter are excellent throughout ensuring it never becomes overly melodramatic and Jules Sitruk brings extra doses of comedy as the leather clad foreign exchange student.

Son of Rambow is certainly not a film that will have you creasing up with laughter but as the end credits role it is difficult not to feel good.
A_NorthernerAug 30, 2012
Why did you watch it?
I saw a few scenes from this film a while back on TV and found them light hearted and amusing so asked to borrow it on DVD from a friend.
Tell me about it. Son of Rambow tells the story of two young boys growing
Why did you watch it?

Tell me about it.
Son of Rambow tells the story of two young boys growing up in the 80's, William and Lee, who become firm friends while making a Rambo-inspired home movie full of self-performed stunts and childish violence. The boys are polar opposites at first, William's family belong to a strict and traditional religious brethren, so strict that William is not even allowed to watch TV for documentaries at school, while Lee is the school's worst behaved child. Despite their differences, the pair become friends by chance and both appreciate each others company, Lee's renegade behaviour gives William experiences outside of the brethren (perhaps none more so than watching Rambo: First Blood) while Lee finds a kindred spirit to overcome his loneliness at home.

Should I watch it?
Creating a film about a pair of schoolchildren's recreation of Rambo certainly scores points for originality. As I mentioned before, the light hearted and amusing in places and would be suitable for adults and children alike. The young actors Bill Milner and Will Poulter are excellent and are supported well by a small cast.
The writers take inspiration from a range of films, not just Rambo, with the scarecrow in the field and French exchange student Didier coolly lighting his cigarette in church coming to mind. As a throwback to the 80's the film is excellent, catchphrases, clothes and music are all spot on. Just like J.J Abrams recent Super 8, hopefully Rambow will inspire a generation of young filmmakers.
Son of Rambow is a quirky and original British comedy-drama, which suffers from being a little too sweet in places towards the end but more than makes up for it with great acting and humorous moments.
aaNov 17, 2008
Quite possibly THE WORST movie I have ever seen. How child could sit though the agonizingly boring plot I don't know.
TomM.Nov 13, 2008
An unusual flick, to say the least. Initially, it took some doing to make head or tail out of what was going on, but eventually the thing charmed me right out of my seat, and despite the difficulties I had deciphering some very thick British An unusual flick, to say the least. Initially, it took some doing to make head or tail out of what was going on, but eventually the thing charmed me right out of my seat, and despite the difficulties I had deciphering some very thick British accents. Collapse
MannieF.Sep 18, 2008
the movie is long and dull...and if it makes u laugh at some point, its because u r plain stupid
JayH.Aug 22, 2008
Sweet film that is wonderfully acted and has a very powerful and moving story. Garth Jennings direction is very loving and perceptive. Great job, memorable film.
DanH.May 28, 2008
Very funny. I was very surprised. It's one of the year's best.
ChadS.May 24, 2008
The Brethren is a Christian group(sometimes known as Brothers and Sisters), or cult, whose ascetic members have been known to eat out of dumpsters, and own not a single worldly possession to their names. Will(Bill Milner) and his mother are The Brethren is a Christian group(sometimes known as Brothers and Sisters), or cult, whose ascetic members have been known to eat out of dumpsters, and own not a single worldly possession to their names. Will(Bill Milner) and his mother are full-fledged cultists, but they live in a house with all the trimmings of domesticity. That's because the Proudfoots are Christians masquerading as faux-Christians. That's why "Son of Rambow" gets away with positioning John Rambo as being a better influence on Will, than God. "Son of Rambow" is quiet, unassuming, but pay attention, and a revenge pic against the church will emerge out of the sentimental ether. Will defaces the Bible, and a bathroom wall, with his cinematic-inspired graffiti. "Son of Rambow", cheekily, equates the holy book with holy s***. Here is a film that's tired of the church blaming Hollywood for everything under the sun. The violence in "First Blood" doesn't turn Will into a killer. Since all religions are patriarchial-based, when the mother finally takes a stand against the "cult" leader, "Son of Rambow" reveals a second streak, a feminist streak, which is all part of the film's concentrated, but covert agenda to subvert the feel-good picture with a pointed attack on theology and its practicing religious institutions, by using a doleful, quiet boy as its agent, to create some post-punk anarchy in the U.K. Expand
Clockwork_SatanMay 2, 2008
I loved ever single minute of this movie. It mostly avoids the traps of becoming overly sentimental or whimsical and delivers some brilliant belly laughs, the characters are very likeable and, most of all, it made me feel like a kid again.
SamMay 1, 2008
Thank you Tom and 66goat. You're proof that people that dislike Cloverfield can have a brain. Because, besides yours, some of the complaints I've seen from some of the haters are absolutely horrendous. 1. 'There was no real Thank you Tom and 66goat. You're proof that people that dislike Cloverfield can have a brain. Because, besides yours, some of the complaints I've seen from some of the haters are absolutely horrendous. 1. 'There was no real storyline.' There wasn't supposed to be. It's people running through New York City, running from a monster. You're supposed to feel like you're in the attack, not following a plot. If anything, there was too much plot. 2. 'The Monster shot fireballs!' Whoever posted that is an idiot. It didn't shoot fireballs, it was throwing around exploding debris. 3. 'ZOMG, TOO MUCH SHAKING'. Being chased by a monster. In New York City. With little creatures falling off it. Personally, I'd be running like Hell, and if I'm holding a camera while running like Hell, I'd imagine it'd be shaking quite a bit. 4. The end sucked...it kept you hanging. Yeah. It was supposed to. It kept possibilities open for a sequel and speculation. 5. The Spider things just appeared out of nowhere! ....they fell off the monster. Their origin is unclear because the MOVIE IS THROUGH THE PERSPECTIVE OF 20 SOMETHINGS AT A PARTY. SORRY THAT THEY DON'T KNOW THE ORIGINS OF A 30 STORY MONSTER THAT ATTACKS WITH LITTLE WARNING. Expand
GregG.Apr 29, 2008
I saw this movie at Sundance 07 and have told everyone I know about it for a long time. They are finally going to get to see it. This movie is a Stand Up and Cheer movie. I cannot wait to see it again!
GrantP.Apr 28, 2008
Completely unexpected, I loved this movie. Good story, very funny, cute, and overall very enjoyable.