Son of the Mask

6.1

1. Apr 9, 2016
    Does Son of the Mask works with its predesesor? Does it show unforgettable characters? Is it shocking? Is it amazing and enjoyable? Or it has great interpretations? Is it funny and logic? Does it give a message? ... ??? Well, we just gotta say. NO!!!!
  2. Mar 20, 2016
    The law of diminishing returns dictates that sequels to bad movies are the worst movies of all, because the producers are not only working to rebottle the original non-magic, they're inevitably doomed to come up short. Even by those standards, Son Of The Mask is more handicapped than most, since 1994's The Mask was a vehicle tailored to the specific talents of rubber-faced fartsmith JimThe law of diminishing returns dictates that sequels to bad movies are the worst movies of all, because the producers are not only working to rebottle the original non-magic, they're inevitably doomed to come up short. Even by those standards, Son Of The Mask is more handicapped than most, since 1994's The Mask was a vehicle tailored to the specific talents of rubber-faced fartsmith Jim Carrey, who's wisely keeping his distance. But as with Dumb And Dumberer, another sequel to a Carrey hit minus its principal cast, New Line owns the property and has retooled it for the thumb-sucking set, so parents are advised to bust out the emergency Ritalin. It's hard to believe that beings as young and delicate as children are the target audience for such a frantic, retina-searing assault on the senses, but as pure visceral experience, Son Of The Mask borders on the experimental.

Ally McBeal fans may want to stick around, though, because their beloved creepy computer-animated dancing baby is back, even in the ultrasound. The spawn of the title comes about when lowly cartoonist Jamie Kennedy discovers the fabled mask in his back yard and wears it to an office Hollywood party, where he turns into a whirling mass of runaway egotism and lame improvisation. The wild night ends with him impregnating his baby-crazed wife Traylor Howard, but the child really belongs to Loki, the Norse god of mischief, who wants his mask back and will stop at nothing to get it. Played by Alan Cumming, who could stand to cool off on the wacky shtick, Loki dons various unfunny disguises in pursuit of the baby while Kennedy tries to play father to an infant whose special qualities include speaking in a lucid adult voice, bouncing off the ceiling, and spraying a geyser of urine into Dad's face.

Though his roots in sketch comedy (TV's The Jamie Kennedy Experiment) make him a natural C-list successor to Carrey, Kennedy mostly occupies the sidelines while his scrappy mutt Otis and the Elasti-baby chase each other around the house. The Scooby-Doo movies are a lesson on the perils of CGI pooches, but nothing is more chilling than a computer-enhanced infant enunciating, sprinting, or doing the Electric Slide. (The worst moment is when the baby first converts from a flesh-and-blood child to a CGI puppet—it's as if his humanity has been cruelly stolen.) No doubt extensive market research shows that there's an audience out there for movies like Son Of The Mask, but it's too depressing to speculate who that might be.
  3. Jan 7, 2016
    How in the world did this get away with a 6.3 user score and how come there are more positive ratings than negative ratings? This is a shameful sequel to the best Mask movie everyone will see.
  4. Oct 16, 2015
    This is nowhere near as good as "The Mask" which is my favourite movie of all time. But on it's own, it's pretty good. The absence of Jim Carrey is definitely a problem but Alan Cumming's Loki manages to fill a tiny bit of that void. Tom Hiddleson will always be the best Loki but Alan Cumming is probably the second best. The scenes with the dog and the baby are pretty funny as well. TheThis is nowhere near as good as "The Mask" which is my favourite movie of all time. But on it's own, it's pretty good. The absence of Jim Carrey is definitely a problem but Alan Cumming's Loki manages to fill a tiny bit of that void. Tom Hiddleson will always be the best Loki but Alan Cumming is probably the second best. The scenes with the dog and the baby are pretty funny as well. The only problem with them is that the dog is shown wearing the mask during the day and night and in the first movie, the mask is only supposed to work at night. It doesn't come close to the classic "Mask" but it doesn't deserve it's horrendous reputation. Expand
  5. Sep 28, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I am a huge Mask fan, and I must admit I did miss Jim Carrey in Son of the Mask, but it is very different from the first movie and stands on its own nicely. The story is quite good. And there are many fun scenes. And while the cast puts in a solid performance, especially Alan Cumming as Loki, no one lives up to Jim Carrey. Still, the effects are crazy and the dog is better in this movie than the first one. And I enjoyed watching the baby drive Dad nuts Expand
  6. Aug 25, 2015
    Just gonna keep this short this is in my top 10 worst of all time list Yeah its that bad and thats a fact
  7. SAV
    Jul 31, 2015
    Uscito ben undici anni dopo l'originale The Mask che tanto divertì il pubblico a metà degli anni 90, questo Son of the Mask è un filmetto per famiglie che non ha nulla a che vedere con il suo fortunato prequel. Il protagonista non è più lo spassoso Jim Carrey ma un anonimo Jamie Kennedy, gli attori recitano in modo scialbo, l'ironia maliziosa ha ceduto il posto ad un senso dell'umorismoUscito ben undici anni dopo l'originale The Mask che tanto divertì il pubblico a metà degli anni 90, questo Son of the Mask è un filmetto per famiglie che non ha nulla a che vedere con il suo fortunato prequel. Il protagonista non è più lo spassoso Jim Carrey ma un anonimo Jamie Kennedy, gli attori recitano in modo scialbo, l'ironia maliziosa ha ceduto il posto ad un senso dell'umorismo molto infantile e la trama non è nulla di particolarmente memorabile. Un sequel decisamente mal riuscito. Un vero peccato. Expand
  8. Jun 13, 2015
    this movie is awful with bad cgi stupid plot horrible acting and dialogue and is way to dumb!! this is easily the 2nd worst movie of all time under cat in the hat
  9. Nov 9, 2014
    "Son of the Mask" mostly looks like an horror movie due to the absence of Jim Carrey, cartoonish CGI, unfunny jokes, wooden performances and disgusting slapstick.
  10. Aug 15, 2014
    Oh no not this movie, it was likely the worst movie many people ever saw and In my opinion is really nothing like the instant classic Jim Carey movie The Mask, it seemed like this movie was aimed somewhere in between adults and children, but everyone behind the movie kept forgetting which one he/her was trying to please.
    as a result, you will see loony tunes like scenes in this movie,
    as a result, you will see loony tunes like scenes in this movie, dumb childish dialog, and then unintentional scary imagery, guns here and there etc. I put all that in the back of my mind for a moment and reviewed the movie as just a movie by itself, and I cant find a really good story or any real redeeming factors worth waiting for throughout the 94 minutes of pain this movie is.

if you want to watch the worst movie made in the last decade this would be on any hard core movie goers list of worst movies...
    I really hated the acting, the script... [well let me save you readers time] the whole movie felt like the whole production team behind it was torturing me...[I'm most likely not the only one who felt this way] this movie is like bad everything only a handful of things are even passable in the film.
    please get Jim Carey back and make a real sequel and proudly call it THE MASK 2
  11. Jul 18, 2014
    A note for anyone make a sequel to a film. Step one: keep the lead actor. Step two: keep the same writer. Step three: keep the same director. Step four: keep the same age rating.

These are the ways to not horrifically mess up a sequel. Every single one of my golden rules were broken and the result was this badly made, unfunny, stupidly acted waste of money. There are two mildly amusing moments involving the baby that stopped this rating being 0, but there is still no point whatsoever is watching this film.

If you liked 'The Mask', don't watch this movie. If you like comedy, don't watch this movie. If you like life, don't watch this movie!
  12. Jun 28, 2014
    This is a bad movie. When it tries tp be funny ot just gets really creepy. This is one of the worst films ever made.And this film is much more family-friendly oriented and the tone is much lighter and comical. Infact Ben Stien's personality of his character explains how I was during the movie.
  13. May 2, 2014
    The second sequel to a Jim Carrey film which doesn't feature Jim Carrey serves as a reminder to always practice safe sex. Even an cartoonish alternate personality can get you pregnant.
  14. Jan 26, 2014
    CHRIST! The movie at times feels like it is actually trying to kill you. SO many disturbing CGI images. I don't see how any child could watch this and not get nightmares. I feel icky after seeing it....
  15. Nov 8, 2013
    "Son Of The Mask" is the worst movie of all time to me. It scared the daylights out of me when it first came out back in 2005. If I was told I had to review this movie for a newspaper, I would turn it down, because there is absolutely no way I am going to see "Son Of The Mask" without my plush Twilight Sparkle or without closing my eyes every second.
  16. Sep 29, 2013
    While the movie does have a few redeeming points, I do find the movie just tries too much and too hard. Ultimately ruining itself. The potential is there, and the premise is an OK one that fits the narrative. But the execution is just horrific. How the actors could walk onto the set each day and not feel ashamed, is beyond me. I'm assuming the entire production staff were a LSD test group,While the movie does have a few redeeming points, I do find the movie just tries too much and too hard. Ultimately ruining itself. The potential is there, and the premise is an OK one that fits the narrative. But the execution is just horrific. How the actors could walk onto the set each day and not feel ashamed, is beyond me. I'm assuming the entire production staff were a LSD test group, making a movie on the side.

Overall:
    If I didn't know any better, I would have thought the movie was written directed and produced by a 5 year old. A pointless waste of a movie.
  17. Aug 6, 2013
    solo por un pequeño momento de risas el uno pero lo demas es un cero efectos animados muy malos chistes absurdos para lo que era la mascara de Jim Carrey
  18. Aug 5, 2013
    A trite, annoying sequel to the funny original that is sorely lacking the presence of the original Mask, Jim Carrey. It may entertain the smallest demanding audiences, but it will disturb all others.
  19. Mar 12, 2013
    Anybody who says ANYTHING positive about the movie CLEARLY HAVE NOT SEEN THE MOVIE!!!!

They're just trolls trying to give a positive reception. They're losers who are ruining Metacritic and the scope of human internet user knowledge.

This movie is just flat out awful from start to finish.
  20. Mar 11, 2013
    This is a disaster movie, i don't like it!!!!!!!!!!! The Mask with Jim Carrey was much better than this part of mask!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  21. Nov 28, 2012
    I would call this movie an "overtly feverish onslaught of frivolity", but I'm afraid that after watching this movie, I'm no longer intelligent enough to use such words. Bad, bad movie.
  22. Sep 26, 2012
    It's very uncool, man. Not cool at all. Son of the Mask is beyond a shadow of a doubt one of the worst sequels of the decade. This movie may just mock Jim Carrey's absence and it nearly failed every minute of it. I love the original Mask where Carrey plays a talkable Frank Sinatra or Don Corleone-like character that likes to have fun and cause so much trouble. That was one of my favoriteIt's very uncool, man. Not cool at all. Son of the Mask is beyond a shadow of a doubt one of the worst sequels of the decade. This movie may just mock Jim Carrey's absence and it nearly failed every minute of it. I love the original Mask where Carrey plays a talkable Frank Sinatra or Don Corleone-like character that likes to have fun and cause so much trouble. That was one of my favorite Jim Carrey movies of all time. I certainly don't know and don't care who casts a sequel to The Mask. Jamie Kennedy, he's a great actor from the Scream movies and Malibu's Most Wanted as a white rapper that sorta look like Eminem. But playing the lead role in Son of The Mask just made a terrible example of how stupid a director should be putting this from a good-old fashion PG-13 movie for adults to bringing a family-friendly kiddie version that is still unwatchable. Maybe it's time for a reboot. Maybe it's about time we need Jim Carrey to bring back the Mask, the type of role that made him a comedic megastar just like Ace Ventura and so on. Expand
  23. Mar 2, 2012
    Son of the Mask can stand out on its own, but it is pretty mean spirited. In the movie, it is hard to understand who is the real main character. Most of them act villainous at one time or another. The visuals are great and the story is okay, but not great.
  24. Oct 30, 2010
    whats the purpose of this movie? it missed the presence of Jim Carrey from the original. this is by far the worst.
  25. MikeS.
    May 16, 2010
    My kids want to watch this movie over and over. Very funny, crazy film.
  26. JamesS.
    May 15, 2010
    This movie stinks! Where's Jim Carrey?!
  27. SethB
    Dec 6, 2009
    Films are getting more and more awful by the second and this film is no exception. Its one of those films that is shot nealry entirly with a fish bowl lens and extreme closeups. The effects were awful, the acting was horrific, and the cinemography story and everything else was so horid. How this got a rating of 7.8 from users is way beyond me. This film falls under the category of AVOID Films are getting more and more awful by the second and this film is no exception. Its one of those films that is shot nealry entirly with a fish bowl lens and extreme closeups. The effects were awful, the acting was horrific, and the cinemography story and everything else was so horid. How this got a rating of 7.8 from users is way beyond me. This film falls under the category of AVOID AT ALL COSTS! Expand
  28. Bobbyb
    Nov 1, 2009
    Where's Jim Carey? He's not dead, or at least i don't think he's dead. I mean, he did eat that bomb at the end of the first one. Anyways, They needed him very badly in this film. The main problem with the whole movie that I had was that they didn't really use the mask and the whole GOD thing just made it seem even stupider than it actually was.
  29. GavinC
    Jul 27, 2009
    Childish, unfunny, and boring.
  30. CD
    Mar 13, 2009
    Wow. I had avoided this movie because of the criticism but finally saw it and was blown away. Hilarious, unique, genuinely good film, albeit it's a family movie and not like the first Mask in that way. Maybe this should not have been a Mask sequel. There's something brilliant about this picture but it seemed to get tripped up by the title and the expectations it set for Jim Wow. I had avoided this movie because of the criticism but finally saw it and was blown away. Hilarious, unique, genuinely good film, albeit it's a family movie and not like the first Mask in that way. Maybe this should not have been a Mask sequel. There's something brilliant about this picture but it seemed to get tripped up by the title and the expectations it set for Jim Carrey fans and fans of the first movie. It's so unlike the first Mask that it would have been better off if they just went with it's own title, since it's clearly it's own story and new characters. Having finally seen it, I thoroughly enjoyed it. Expand
  31. RebeccaM
    Mar 13, 2009
    Surprisingly funny, fun movie. The critics are way off to me. Maybe they are hung up on the absence of Jim Carrey. If you can get past that, you might really enjoy this one.
  32. FrankS.
    Nov 10, 2007
    An 8 out 10...an 8 out of 10!!!??? If their was any proof that America's IQ is going down the crapper, one can look no farther than the poor souls that gave this an 8 or higher. A movie directed with all the subtlety of a jackhammer and wit of Pauly Shore...It is pure garbage.
  33. NormF.
    Oct 13, 2007
    It's not often you see a movie with all special effects and no script but this is it.
  34. JohnC.
    Jul 10, 2007
    The worst movie I have ever seen. Not funny, lame, and Jamie Kennedy needs to realize he is not Jim Carrey and he cannot attempt the same slap stick humor it just looks so bad that you almost feel sorry for the poor looser.
  35. UghLee
    May 30, 2007
    I love how there are either 10s or 1's as people's score. You don't see any 5s or 6s... which means you either love or hate it. i hate it. Maybe would have been ok if i was 15 years younger.
  36. xxhopingtearsxx
    Apr 29, 2007
    To make a sequel to the Mask, you must include Jim Carrey. Or else, it just wont be the sequel to the Mask.. Pitiful.
  37. LoganH
    Sep 12, 2006
    I watched this movie hoping that there would be some sign of JIm Carry, but sadly no.The special effects sucked, and what was up with Jamie Kennedy's face when he put it on. Worst movie I have ever seen
  38. sonicphoto
    Dec 11, 2005
    Son of the mask just doesn't quite cut it with the absense of Jim Carrey and the fact that is more based on the kid's crazy stuff then the actual mask. Is not a bad thing but some jokes feel old and overall the plot and story are too bland. Kids could find good things here and there but teenagers and adults won't find that much enjoyment on this one.
  39. Pammy
    Jul 1, 2005
    Jamie kennedy is so funny. and so is the movie. thank you.
  40. Winnie
    Jun 17, 2005
    I agree this is a fantastic movie for kids. Imaginative and funny. The Jim Carrey whiners here need to realize that this movie was made for kids. It is not a continuation of the first movie and isn't meant to be. It's for kids. And it's an excellent movie in that regard.
  41. Sam
    Jun 16, 2005
    Anyone that likes this is lying. They got payed 50 grand by the people that made this monstrosity, so they're now bankrupt since they lost so much on this treachous, backstabbing, moronic sequel. In a way it's dissapointing, but not in the way like i was expecting much (which i didn't), but it's dissapointing because the mask was a great film and they ruined it with Anyone that likes this is lying. They got payed 50 grand by the people that made this monstrosity, so they're now bankrupt since they lost so much on this treachous, backstabbing, moronic sequel. In a way it's dissapointing, but not in the way like i was expecting much (which i didn't), but it's dissapointing because the mask was a great film and they ruined it with that moron Jamie Kennedy. Boo to all thos involved with this, BOOOOOOOOOOOO! (Take that film threat fer dissin' Chamber of Secrets.) Expand
  42. DevinB.
    Jun 12, 2005
    Irredeemably awful and brainless sequel. I would also like to speculate that the positive comments here are being posted by paid studio employees, I find it very hard to believe that real people with actual free will or the capacity to think critically could enjoy such drudgery.
  43. AlP
    May 28, 2005
    Clever, fun movie. I don't get the critics on this one at all. My kids loved this movie, and when they wanted to watch it a second time, my wife and I were more than happy to join them. A great movie for kids. We haven't seen many that are much better.
  44. BKerr
    May 26, 2005
    I am a huge Mask fan, and I must admit I did miss Jim Carrey in Son of the Mask, but it is very different from the first movie and stands on its own nicely. The story is quite good. And there are many fun scenes. And while the cast puts in a solid performance, especially Alan Cumming as Loki, no one lives up to Jim Carrey. Still, the effects are crazy and the dog is better in this movie I am a huge Mask fan, and I must admit I did miss Jim Carrey in Son of the Mask, but it is very different from the first movie and stands on its own nicely. The story is quite good. And there are many fun scenes. And while the cast puts in a solid performance, especially Alan Cumming as Loki, no one lives up to Jim Carrey. Still, the effects are crazy and the dog is better in this movie than the first one. And I enjoyed watching the baby drive Dad nuts. 9 stars. Expand
  45. KathyC
    May 25, 2005
    It's awesome. I just rented the dvd and thought it was funny, funny, funny. Did the people rating this movie so low even see it? It is not a sequel at all. It's its own story. If you are expecting a continuation of the first Mask, you will be disappointed. But if you see it for what it is - an original movie with the Mask, then you will really enjoy this. Amazing effects and It's awesome. I just rented the dvd and thought it was funny, funny, funny. Did the people rating this movie so low even see it? It is not a sequel at all. It's its own story. If you are expecting a continuation of the first Mask, you will be disappointed. But if you see it for what it is - an original movie with the Mask, then you will really enjoy this. Amazing effects and really funny. Expand
  46. stephw
    May 25, 2005
    Much better than expected. I don't care that Jim Carrey isn't in it. The cast is good and the movie is great. The best movie I have seen for parents and kids since the Incredibles. A really cool movie.
  47. AA
    May 25, 2005
    EXTREMELY FUNNY. I guess peeps either love or hate this movie. I loved it. The dvd has a ton of bonus material with 19 deleted and extended scenes. Highly recommend for its fantastic cartoony imagery and funny, funny scenes.
  48. D
    May 24, 2005
    A witless and vulgar sequel.
  49. Neco
    May 20, 2005
    Don't watch it and for heavens sake don't buy the DVD!!!
  50. toshiro3000
    May 16, 2005
    Are all the positive reviewers here paid employees [or, worse, unpaid interns]? let's see a show of hands. I figured as much.
  51. KK
    Apr 21, 2005
    By far......the WORST movie I ever saw. It was physically painful for me to sit in my seat and after 25 minutes, my children (3 and 8-year olds) wouldn't even sit through it......nuff said.
  52. steveM
    Apr 20, 2005
    Who are all these people giving this movie 10? I suspect it is the same studio person as the writing style is very similar. How desperate!
  53. SallyP.
    Mar 24, 2005
    This movie was the most boring movie that I have ever, in my life, had to sit through. A complete watse of time.
  54. ma
    Mar 22, 2005
    It totally grew on me, so i saw it twice. if it's your thing, you will really enjoy this.
  55. ELA
    Mar 22, 2005
    Mad action. outstanding family flick.
  56. maew
    Mar 22, 2005
    I loved this movie. THE CRITICS ARE MORONS!
  57. jh
    Mar 22, 2005
    Almost didn't go because of the reviews. glad i went. more than a kid's movie. unlike anything else. reminds me of roger rabbit but different and funnier. a very good movie.
  58. pauls
    Mar 22, 2005
    Funny, funny, funny movie.
  59. BitBurn
    Mar 14, 2005
    Totally retarded and dumb. What a waste of money.
  60. RingoS.
    Mar 7, 2005
    This is a steaming pile of garbage.
  61. DK
    Inventive, crazy, hilarious.
  62. brigitteB.
    Mar 4, 2005
    The movie is so much better than the critcs are saying i was astounded. funny, charming, spectacular visuals. a ton of fun.
  63. paulate
    Mar 4, 2005
    Wildly entertaining. not without flaws but so unique and funny i have to give it a 10.
  64. dons.
    Mar 4, 2005
    better than the first movie. i enjoyed seeing this with my kids who wouldn't stop talking about their favorite scenes for hours. packed with great scenes. very funny.
  65. rachelp.
    Mar 3, 2005
    Cool movie and very funny. a solid cast. far, far better than i expected given the reviews. i want to see it again.
  66. CinemaWorld
    Mar 3, 2005
    Inspired lunacy. Unpredictable story lines. I loved it.
  67. SamH
    Mar 3, 2005
    Extremely funny and insane. My kids loved it. And I enjoyed it to. Funny, funny, funny and fun to watch.
  68. CraigM
    Mar 3, 2005
    Funniest movie i have seen in 2005. The story and scene work is clever and the live action cartoon visuals inspired.
  69. VinceH.
    Feb 28, 2005
    I don't see what the big fuss is. Yes this is a terrible movie, but certainly not as bad as Alone in the Dark or The Wedding Date, which were both more painful than this. The director keeps the pace lively enough that the film never gets boring, but the crappy CGI-animation, Bob Hoskins in a wildly obvious I-need-to-pay-next-months-rent role, and the usually great Alan Cumming I don't see what the big fuss is. Yes this is a terrible movie, but certainly not as bad as Alone in the Dark or The Wedding Date, which were both more painful than this. The director keeps the pace lively enough that the film never gets boring, but the crappy CGI-animation, Bob Hoskins in a wildly obvious I-need-to-pay-next-months-rent role, and the usually great Alan Cumming reduced to a silly cartoon are all enough reasons to skip this turkey. Expand
  70. Jim
    Feb 25, 2005
    This is one of the worst movies I have ever seen. It lacked any kind of imagination and had verry littl directional focus. I found myself thinking where is this goign? more than once.
  71. BM
    Feb 24, 2005
    I think this film deserves better than the 3.9 rating it's got going on right now. Yeah, obviously without Jim Carrey the film doesn't have the star power that the first one did, but I don't really think that keeps it from being an enjoyable film. The acting was decent, and the story (while a little farfetched) is good enough to keep your attention. I know a lot of you will I think this film deserves better than the 3.9 rating it's got going on right now. Yeah, obviously without Jim Carrey the film doesn't have the star power that the first one did, but I don't really think that keeps it from being an enjoyable film. The acting was decent, and the story (while a little farfetched) is good enough to keep your attention. I know a lot of you will disagree, but I dug the movie. Expand
  72. ChadS.
    Feb 21, 2005
    In "Son of the Mask". there's a cute baby and a dog; and, oh, references to "The Exorcist" and Gerald Scarfe's animation in "Pink Floyd; The Wall". This sequel to the highly successful Jim Carrey vehicle recalls Joe Dante's segment for "The Twilight Zone" movie, in which, cartoon violence is depicted in reality. With another soundtrack, and a different interpretation of In "Son of the Mask". there's a cute baby and a dog; and, oh, references to "The Exorcist" and Gerald Scarfe's animation in "Pink Floyd; The Wall". This sequel to the highly successful Jim Carrey vehicle recalls Joe Dante's segment for "The Twilight Zone" movie, in which, cartoon violence is depicted in reality. With another soundtrack, and a different interpretation of this material, "Son of the Mask" could easily be a horror movie. Expand
    Feb 21, 2005
    The fact that people actually went to this movie and thought it might be good is so sad that I have lost all hope for humanity. Come on, Son of Mask!?
  74. RoryC.
    Feb 18, 2005
    I caught this movie at a screening the other day, and I was pretty happy with it. Overall, the special effects, while being a bit much, were pretty entertaining, as was Jamie Kennedy's performance. It was a nice lighthearted movie, pretty much the anti-Constantine. If you're into this kind of movie (like if you have kids), then you'll do well seeing this film.
  75. JohnN.
    Feb 17, 2005
    Don't waste your time or money.
  76. PatP.
    Crappy movie.
  77. JimH.
    Junk!
  78. JackM.
    Feb 16, 2005
    $100,000,000 The figure you see above is what New Line Cinema paid to make this horrendously inept piece of garbage posing as family entertainment. It's downright insulting, not only to the audience that pays to see this, but also to every struggling screenwriter or director with a dream to make a movie that fails. To think that studio upon studio regularly turns down scripts that $100,000,000 The figure you see above is what New Line Cinema paid to make this horrendously inept piece of garbage posing as family entertainment. It's downright insulting, not only to the audience that pays to see this, but also to every struggling screenwriter or director with a dream to make a movie that fails. To think that studio upon studio regularly turns down scripts that are a thousand times greater than this, and which would probably cost only a fraction of the cost to make, while this gets greenlighted -- well, it's enough to make you lose faith altogether. Just to show you how stupefying it is for a movie company to throw this kind of coinage at such a superfluous sequel -- the original film, The Mask, only grossed $120 million domestically. That film had a red-hot Jim Carrey. This film has Jamie Kennedy. That film cost only $18 million to make. This film will be lucky to make even that. Jamie Kennedy (Malibu's Most Wanted, Bug) stars as struggling cartoonist Tim Avery, whose dog finds the Mask of Loki and which Tim ends up sporting at a company function. The Mask makes the wearer become a live-action cartoon character, which is perfect for inspiring the cartoonist, who soon sees a promotion come his way for the spectacle he performs in front of his bosses. Meanwhile, Tim's doting wife (Traylor Howard, "Bram & Alice") pressures him into a baby, which just happens to have been conceived while the mask was in full swing, giving the young child all of the powers of the mask. All the while, Loki (Cumming, X2), the god of mischief himself, is in search of his long-lost mask, going from baby to baby, trying to find the owner so that he might recover it. I came into Son of the Mask with about the lowest expectations one could have for a movie, and needless to say, I came out of it still flabbergasted at just how dismal an experience it truly is. Astonishing is perhaps the only way I can describe it, as I sat in amazement, mouth agape, witnessing one of the most grandiose wastes of time, money and energy to ever get a wide theatrical release. There is almost no story to the movie at all. It seems that the only game plan behind any of it was to throw as many special effects at the audience as possible, hoping we will be dazzled enough to ignore the fact that there is no tangible plot or story cohesion. Wave after wave of special effects fill the screen, but even this move backfires, as they are some of the most repugnantly rendered, childishly conceived, and abominably executed visuals you may actually see this year. Yes, I do realize it is supposed to be an emulation of a cartoon, but watching talking and dancing babies borders on the grotesque, with a level of bad taste that will have you retching. In one final insult, the MPAA has blessed this travesty with a PG rating, almost ensuring that families looking to take their children to a film for everyone will flock to it. How much of the $100 million went to pay off the ratings board? This movie's only attempts at humor are of the bodily function variety. Watch a young boy piss in his father's face. Watch the same young boy spew vomit all over the inside windshield. Listen to the sounds of Jamie Kennedy overwhelm Alan Cumming with kung fu flatulence. More sweet sounds are heard when baby makes poop in his diapers -- quite loudly. A woman's head is converted into a large nose, and she sneezes mucus out on someone. Watch the people in the audience around you vomit all over the theater floor simultaneously. Son of the Mask is a tedious and utterly revolting way to spend 86 minutes, and even if they paid you $7.50 to see it, instead of the other way around, it wouldn't be worth it. Using your money as toilet paper would be putting it to better use (well, maybe not the 50 cent part, but you know what I mean), and would save you from wasting quite a bit of cumulative time for you and your family. Take them to the park -- it's free, and will leave you in far better spirits -- and use what you save to buy or rent the original film instead. This film doesn't deserve a penny of your money, it deserves a vasectomy, if only to be sure no chances of having any more offspring to pollute theaters with again. Expand
  79. JimL.
    Feb 16, 2005
    Son of the mask is pure garbage. The director Lawrence Guterman is using it to advance kidde porno. He is disgusting.
  80. JoeKritic
    Feb 16, 2005
    Son of the Mask is one grand, wildly entertaining live action cartoon with a simple fable at its core about putting family first. From the first minute of the film to the last it delivers like a classic Tex Avery and Chuck Jones short complete with up in arms critical reviews for its subversive and rebellious but ultimately hilarious, harmless and fun spirit. Without spoiling it, I can Son of the Mask is one grand, wildly entertaining live action cartoon with a simple fable at its core about putting family first. From the first minute of the film to the last it delivers like a classic Tex Avery and Chuck Jones short complete with up in arms critical reviews for its subversive and rebellious but ultimately hilarious, harmless and fun spirit. Without spoiling it, I can report the story lines are simple and fresh. Dads who can't cope. Kids who can't help but make mischief. And a jealous dog who isn't prepared to be pushed aside in the family by a baby. Son of the Mask may be missing Jim Carrey's charismatic, manic performance but it features many good performances where as the first movie only had one. The cast is solid and charming throughout with Jamie Kennedy, Alan Cummings, Traylor Howard, and feature performances by Bob Hoskins, Steven Wright and the dog and baby all pitching in to make Son more consistently entertaining than the original. And where as the 1994 film bogged down in cliche plot lines, characters and dreadfully low energy sequences when Jim Carrey wasn't in the Mask, Son of the Mask is anything but bland. It's insane. It grabs you. And it's full of laughs. Carrey fans may enter the theatre missing him, but many will exit forgetting all about a ten year old movie after witnessing the surprisingly strong Son of the Mask. I would give it an eleven for originality if I could and dock it a couple points for rushing through its rather unique plot points. But don't take it from me or listen to the industry critics who have missed the boat on this gem. Go see it for yourself. Son of the Mask is like nothing else and very funny. I am Joe Kritic and I give it a 10. Expand
  81. JubyBuby
    Feb 16, 2005
    The worst film of all time? Could be! It makes the "Police Academy" films look funny.
  82. AllyD.
    Feb 14, 2005
    Sucked! I got free tickets and I feel like I wasted 90 minutes of my time.
  83. a.f.
    Feb 14, 2005
    I believe the question is why?

1. Loud, mean-spirited and generally obnoxious, Son of the Mask makes the boisterous 1994 original look downright demure and refined.
  2. Reviewed by: Brian Lowry
    The net result is a truly numbing experience.
    At its heart is a deep, unresolved ambivalence about child rearing.